Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UGAmazing
Jul 26, 2007

I buy used, damaged & broken Apple devices.

mrk posted:

Oh man, 2 things came in the mail today, Sennheiser HD555

Today was an awesome day.

You take some of the most awesome photos I've ever seen. Seriously, photos of...wire...look more artistic than the best photo I've ever taken.

McCracAttack posted:

I need to throw something colorful in there.

No way dude, throw up a large black and white picture or 2 or 3 smaller ones on the wall and you're set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances

eshbach posted:

I just set this up in the spare bedroom I've been using... McIntosh MA6100 driving the maggies.

This is not getting enough love. Maggies are wonderful, and a sweet amp to boot.

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005

McCracAttack posted:

I am in love with your stand. Where did you get it at?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

McCracAttack posted:

I'd also like to know where you go those stands. Your setup is exactly what I need for my new place.

Modena
May 7, 2007

by Lowtax
hello new sub

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Modena posted:

hello new sub

Nice. Is that an Elemental Designs and what are you powering it with?

Modena
May 7, 2007

by Lowtax

Scrapez posted:

Nice. Is that an Elemental Designs and what are you powering it with?

It's an Elemental Designs A3-300 and it's internally powered (im assuming you didn't know they make full subs now), but I'm running it through a Denon 1082. The other sub is an HSU STF-2.

My blurry av 'rack' from an earlier post:

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Modena posted:

It's an Elemental Designs A3-300 and it's internally powered (im assuming you didn't know they make full subs now), but I'm running it through a Denon 1082. The other sub is an HSU STF-2.

No I didn't even realize that. I thought you built it. Very cool. Those guys are from Cedar Falls, Iowa I think. I remember when they were first getting started into car audio on the forums several years back.

Modena
May 7, 2007

by Lowtax

Scrapez posted:

No I didn't even realize that. I thought you built it. Very cool. Those guys are from Cedar Falls, Iowa I think. I remember when they were first getting started into car audio on the forums several years back.

Their HT stuff is garnering GREAT reviews from all over the place (AVS etc). Compared to my $300 HSU, the $450 Elemental Designs is much much much better. I'd say it's comparable to an SVS PB12-ISD if not slightly better.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Modena posted:

Their HT stuff is garnering GREAT reviews from all over the place (AVS etc). Compared to my $300 HSU, the $450 Elemental Designs is much much much better. I'd say it's comparable to an SVS PB12-ISD if not slightly better.

That's cool. I'll have to take a hard look at them when I finally kick my POS Mission 700asi to the curb.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

MrCodeDude posted:

I am in love with your stand. Where did you get it at?

From here of all places. I got it because it was big enough to hold all of my components but I didn't count on it making my 32" LCD look so small.

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I'd also like to know where you go those stands. Your setup is exactly what I need for my new place.

If you mean the speaker stands themselves I barely remember. I got them from some nameless electronics store in a mall in like 2001.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

I would recommend stretching a large canvas, something that can frame your setup, and painting some flat colors in layers. A darker, cooler value, a more middling value and a more saturated value. Be really loose with the brush and leave a lot of stroke marks, don't worry about perfect coverage. If you do it right you should get a splash of color with some depth thanks to the subtle texture, but it will fit in with the simplicity of what you have.

Same idea but in a triptych setup would be very nice too, and probably break up the wall better.

phenx
Nov 25, 2004

"You stupid cow, something about a key, you can't shoot straight you big-titted bitch"
Almost finished the AV setup in our house, got all the peices just waiting on a couple of cables to finish it all up.

40" Sony 720P LCD
720P projector
Sony 7.1 Reciever with 3 HDMI in/1 HDMI out
High Def Set top box
Sony upscaling dvd player
Mythtv box

The reciever outputs to both the projector and the tv at the same time while using HDMI switching to make everything easy for my mum and vistors to work out how to use the system (hopefully).

pastis
Aug 1, 2004

Ouzo is for louzos
Update-a-licious. Made some changes recently in Chez Nate:

Projector: Optoma HD70
PJ Screen: Elite 92"
HDTV: Mitsubishi WD-52628
Pre/Pro: Anthem AVM-50
Amplifier: Anthem PVA-5
DVD-A/SACD player: Oppo DV-980H
Blu-ray layer: Panasonic DMP-BD10
HD DVD player: Toshiba HD-A20
Game System: XBox360 Elite
Cable source: TiVo Series 3 HD
D-VHS: Marantz MV-8300
Turntable: Denon DP300F
Power station: Panamax MAX-5300
HDMI splitter: Gefen HDMI-142
HDMI switcher: Monoprice HDX-501
Speakers: Rocket 750 Signature (mains), Rocket RSC-200 (center), Rocket 750 Signature (surrounds),
Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

Updating the Panny firmware (hence the blue screen):

The Tower 'O Power:

No PJ photos, as I'm too lazy to put the screen up.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Modena posted:

Do you like your STF-2? I think I may need to upgrade because mine just doesn't feel as tight as I would like. My room isn't very large, either. I'm still playing with my speaker arrangements though...

Modena
May 7, 2007

by Lowtax

Kaddish posted:

Do you like your STF-2? I think I may need to upgrade because mine just doesn't feel as tight as I would like. My room isn't very large, either. I'm still playing with my speaker arrangements though...

I still like the STF-2. It's very accurate and still able to get nice and loud. How big is your room and what does your arrangement look like?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
It looks something like this, very extremely roughly.

I just think I need a bigger sub, maybe a 12".

It gets pretty loud when I turn the gain up past halfway but I need to get a ground loop isolator for my cable box because it generates a humming sound at higher volumes. I've played around with various sub positions but I haven't found one I'm 100% happy with.

This is the worst image ever, btw.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 2, 2007

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Have you tried putting the sub in the corner by the couch?

Also a larger sub will inherently be less tight than a smaller one because there's more mass to move around, unless there's much more power available to drive it. Of course, using a smaller sub in a large room will not sound ideal either. Perhaps a VTF-3 Mk3.

Bumpon10s
Dec 9, 2004

Gentleman, we have seen the future.
This is my living room:

Sony 1080i 55" HDTV KDF-55E2000
Samsung HTQ-70 1000 watt, 5 disc, HDMI upscaling HTIB
TiVo 80 HR Dual Tuner
Xbox 360 with HD-DVD add on
and networking crap...

And my bedroom

Olevia 32" HD LCD 232V
Tivo 80 HR single Tuner
JVC HTIB (it's actually pretty nice, very clean and clear, prog scan, DTS decoder)

BOTH of the setups are driven by Harmony 880s, they are so goddamn awesome. My office has a decent setup also, but this already a long post.

I want to add a PS3 and a HTPC to my living room in the very near future, and total upgrades in 2 years.

Wheat
Nov 29, 2005
dogs heads, styrofoam...

McCracAttack posted:

I had that same Kenwood HT in a box. Still have the 407 receiver and the sub. Dig the b/w.

Modena
May 7, 2007

by Lowtax

Kaddish posted:

It looks something like this, very extremely roughly.

I just think I need a bigger sub, maybe a 12".

It gets pretty loud when I turn the gain up past halfway but I need to get a ground loop isolator for my cable box because it generates a humming sound at higher volumes. I've played around with various sub positions but I haven't found one I'm 100% happy with.

This is the worst image ever, btw.

Put it in the corner by the tv or the corner by the couch. An STF-2 is plenty of sub for your size room. You might also have phase issues. Try switching the phase to see if you are drowning out your sound.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Modena posted:

Put it in the corner by the tv or the corner by the couch. An STF-2 is plenty of sub for your size room. You might also have phase issues. Try switching the phase to see if you are drowning out your sound.

Corner means loud and less precise bass.
He didn't specifically say that the bass is not loud enough.

But yeah if it is, stick in the corner.
If not, don't.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I thought it was too boomy in the corner. Changing phase to 180 also didn't sound right.

Moving it closer to my couch has helped and I was able to further tweak it to acceptable levels. I still have the upgrade itch though, especially since I get $100 av123's new sub coming out in a few months....

Cynagen
Aug 3, 2007
I love a lot of things, just not you.
Sorry to interject in the middle of your convo you guys have going on. New here, and well, I just wanted to share my setup with the group since that's what this thread was started for. Sadly I don't have any pictures readily available (no AAAs for the webcam/digicam, will correct this later today, so expect pics later), but I can give a fairly accurate description. I've got a Panasonic SA-DK10 running as the surround sound, it includes 2 subs in the front left and right boxes while the center, rear left and right, are satellite styles. I don't remember the output power on it, but by itself it's pretty loud at -12db. However, I augmented it with a Sony SA-WM20 Active sub, it includes a 50watt per channel stereo amp which I pass the subs on the Panasonic through to give even bass distribution as all subs are up front, the Sony in the center. For video, I've got a Sharp XR-10X projector throwing 15' to generate ~125" screen on my white wall (can't set up a screen, walls and ceiling are concrete and there's a "no drilling" policy here,) the 16:9 size ends up being ~100" unless I abuse the zoom. The room is sufficiently dark enough for the projector to work with the one table lamp on even during the day. I'm feeding the projector 480i from my DLink MediaLounge DSM-320 (plan to upgrade), 480p from my Philips MPEG-4 DVD player, and full 720p/1080i from my SA8300HD digital cable box across a 25' component set to hug a wall all the way back to the projector. Also have a computer set up in the corner near the projector hooked in via VGA DB15, not particularly doing anything special with it besides general media playback the DLink can't handle.

TNTHD recently had a rash of movies shown, recorded/watched the better ones, Ocean's Eleven, The Bourne Supremacy, to name two. I had seen The Bourne Supremacy as an AVI DVDrip, but the projector with HD, just, wow. I can't really watch regular TV anymore, it's so... archaic now. Either way, just wanted to post my setup for you all, let me know what you think, I will be posting pics as soon as I stop being lazy. Oh, and I don't have the nice clean setup you all seem to have, mine's still a mess as I resort all the wiring, and I don't have a nice stand for everything either... I feel so inadequate all of a sudden. *Protects his bits and shuffles off.*

My crap:
/dev Clan CS:S Server: homepc.cynagen.com:27015
Bittorrent Tracker: tracker.cynagen.com:85

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Pibborando San posted:

Have you tried putting the sub in the corner by the couch?

Also a larger sub will inherently be less tight than a smaller one because there's more mass to move around, unless there's much more power available to drive it. Of course, using a smaller sub in a large room will not sound ideal either. Perhaps a VTF-3 Mk3.

You got those side shelves from Ikea didn't you? I would have used them myself but didn't the room. Nice setup.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I need a better camera

It still needs some work but I'm pretty happy with my new set-up.

Samsung HL-S4676S DLP
Vienna Acoustics Bach floor speakers
BIC Venturi DV62CLR-S center
Z-Line Skylar stand
Tech Craft component rack
Belkin PureAV PF31D Power Conditioner (surge protector)
PS3
Wii
Pioneer receiver
Psyclone A/V switch
Sony subwoofer
not pictured: Flaunce BiPole rear surrounds

kylej fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 5, 2007

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

SnatchRabbit posted:

You got those side shelves from Ikea didn't you? I would have used them myself but didn't the room. Nice setup.

I think you meant to quote Bumpon10s. :laugh:

LofwyrSai
Jul 19, 2006

Le réalité et toi, vous ne vous entendez pas, n'est-ce pas?
These pictures didn't come out that well - blurry for some reason - so I made a new post.

LofwyrSai fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 11, 2007

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

LofwyrSai posted:

These pictures didn't come out that well - blurry for some reason - but gives an idea and I'm lazy.

Main setup in the living room. 47" HDTV with Klipsch all around (built in dual 10" subs) hooking through a Sony DD5.1 preamp. Moto DVR and Progressive Scan DVD player. Not showing the surrounds here but they are high end Klipsch as well.

Picture of living room stack

Bedroom Hitachi 47" Plasma with a DVD player.

Computer setup. I have both the Xbox360 and the computer going in optical to a Pioneer receiver with Klipsch speakers including a 12" downfiring sub (not shown - in the corner). Viewsonic 21" monitor for the computer and 19" lcd for the Xbox360. (First glass of wine shown - not drunk posting... :) )

Rear surround in office - these are the cheapest things I have - some junk bookshelfs. Eventually I'll get better Klipsch speakers to match the front 4.

Get this man some component racks and some Parkinson's meds stat! I'm just kidding ya :)

You have some nice components there man. Is heat an issue with them just stacked on the floor like that?

Canis Ex Machina
Jun 13, 2007
Dog Machine

The TV's a 23 inch TCL, it's pretty good, but changing aspect ratios is a bitch. The DVD is an LG, region hacked and DivX compatible, so it'll play drat-near anything. The surround speakers are Logitechs and the digital tuner is a cheap Samsung. The PC has a digital tuner, and is connected to the TV and speakers, though I can't quite get the dual monitor thing happening the way I want it.

My bed also folds into a couch, though I usually just leave it flat and put pillows against the wall.

All in all, it's a drat good system for what I paid for it (DVD + speakers + tuner only set me back about AU$600 in total, thanks to a few discounts).

atlas barfed
Aug 17, 2006

Only audio for now, until I move back into my apartment (I have the DVD player, my roomate has the TV), which is also the reason why the speakers are not quite optimally placed. It's a Pioneer SA-9100 into a pair of LS3/5a's and an old Polk passive subwoofer, a combination which sounds rather good for the age.

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd

app13pi3 posted:

What is this table and where did you get it?

I've been looking for a nice smoke glass L shaped table for a while

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

McCracAttack posted:

as others have said, I really like your stand. Where did you get it?

edit: nevermind, was already answered

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose
I would like a larger subwoofer for the room, but it is in the corner so that helps.
Mitsubishi WD-52725 52" DLP TV
Denon AVR-1705 7.1 Reciever
- Canton 10" sub
- Canton CD50BK (Front L&R)
- Klipsch Speakers elsewhere (center, rear, and by air hockey table)
Motorola DCT6200 (thinking of upgrading to the DVR for the fall shows)
Toshiba DVD player
PS2 w/ component video (it makes a huge difference!)
Xbox 360 via component video

That PC there is setup to record HDTV via firewire from the cable box. It is very nice for recording concerts and such. ~800gb in that box, and it will be hooked to the TV through HDMI when the cables come later this week. It will be really nice to actually play back that content I recorded.
Eventually I will be getting the HDDVD addon for the xbox.

Lt Moose fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 8, 2007

LofwyrSai
Jul 19, 2006

Scrapez posted:

Get this man some component racks and some Parkinson's meds stat! I'm just kidding ya :)

You have some nice components there man. Is heat an issue with them just stacked on the floor like that?

My pictures really are pretty bad. I'll take some better one's sometime - at work now.

Never had a heat issue with the components stacked on the floor. I've had the Denon receiver and the Sony preamp for maybe 7 years now. I buffer the heat from the Denon with the 6 disc cd changer which I don't think even works anymore.

Modena
May 7, 2007

by Lowtax

LofwyrSai posted:

My pictures really are pretty bad. I'll take some better one's sometime - at work now.

Never had a heat issue with the components stacked on the floor. I've had the Denon receiver and the Sony preamp for maybe 7 years now. I buffer the heat from the Denon with the 6 disc cd changer which I don't think even works anymore.

I can't tell exactly what Klipsch you are using. I have reference 3's all around but will eventually get some 7's

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Lt Moose posted:

I would like a larger subwoofer for the room, but it is in the corner so that helps.
Mitsubishi WD-52725 52" DLP TV
Denon AVR-1705 7.1 Reciever
- Canton 10" sub
- Canton CD50BK (Front L&R)
- Klipsch Speakers elsewhere (center, rear, and by air hockey table)
Motorola DCT6200 (thinking of upgrading to the DVR for the fall shows)
Toshiba DVD player
PS2 w/ component video (it makes a huge difference!)
Xbox 360 via component video

That PC there is setup to record HDTV via firewire from the cable box. It is very nice for recording concerts and such. ~800gb in that box, and it will be hooked to the TV through HDMI when the cables come later this week. It will be really nice to actually play back that content I recorded.
Eventually I will be getting the HDDVD addon for the xbox.

what kind of AV stand is that?

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose

MMD3 posted:

what kind of AV stand is that?

It is an Ethan Allen stand. I can find out which one exactly if you wish.

LofwyrSai
Jul 19, 2006

Modena posted:

I can't tell exactly what Klipsch you are using. I have reference 3's all around but will eventually get some 7's

Time for better pictures.

Living room

Living room Denon amp and Sony preamp w/ DVD player and DVR

Back of front Klipsch's. I actually don't know what kind they are. I've had my stuff for years. They have built in 10" subwoofers and sound really good and can go very loud which it what matters. My center channel is rather large as well.

Full living room setup

Workout room / guest room av setup. I stream music down from my desktop onto the laptop out to the speakers. Also have TV to watch...

While I lift these...

And run on this.

Bedroom plasma setup

Computer and xbox360 setup.

So I can tell I have SB3's on my computer. Who knows...I like Klipsch though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cavalri
Nov 23, 2002

... I didn't think so
Grimey Drawer
My current setup:

Toshiba 62HM95 (720p)
Yamaha RX-V2700
SVS 5.1 Speaker system (4x SBS-01, 1x SCS-01 center, and 1x PB10-NSD Sub)
Philips DVP 5960 DVD (HDMI, upconverting, etc.)
Xbox 360 w/HD-DVD player
Wii

Also pictured is a network switch and a 500GB NAS drive which is only there because it's near the switch and I don't have room for it near my computer.

A TivoHD is next on my list, unless the Series 3 comes down in price soon.