Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
albedoa
May 3, 2004

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1388703

Did I play this okay? I flopped the double gutter on the flop, and was kind of thrown off by the shorty on my left. Then was given 2.5:1 to call the turn with the chance of a $10 overcall by the shorty and some implied odds on top of that. Not to mention I paired my top card, which obviously gives me only two extra outs at most.

No reads, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

NL 50
I raise UTG+1 at a tight table with JTs to 1.50$ with a 48$ stack. The BB calls, my notes on him says that he sometimes donks into pfr on a low board. The flop comes down KdJdJs, he checks, I overbet 4$ into the 3$ pot and he check raises me to 15.10$.

What do you do? I got it all in, which was my plan, but was it the correct one?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Ranma4703 posted:

NL 50
I raise UTG+1 at a tight table with JTs to 1.50$ with a 48$ stack. The BB calls, my notes on him says that he sometimes donks into pfr on a low board. The flop comes down KdJdJs, he checks, I overbet 4$ into the 3$ pot and he check raises me to 15.10$.

In that circumstance I'll go all in mostly everytime. It sounds like that opponent would do the same with any king and possibly any draw, and since its a fairly drawy board I think it's best to put him in.

Pizzlefish
Jun 8, 2005

Ranma4703 posted:

NL 50

you flopped a strong set and should only be afraid of KK or a stronger jack, both of which are unlikely. If your note on him is even semi accurate, he could have a huge range of hands and you are ahead so much its ridiculous. If he is all in, you will definitely win more often than the ~11 to 8 pot odds need for a call.

As for whether this was the best strategy, it depends on your read and how trustworthy your note is. If he is willing to reraise a perceived weak bet like that, then go for it. You shouldn't get skittish when your plan works. If it is a big loss, just regroup and note it down.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
I 3-bet a little under a PSB or I shove depending on their and my stack size. If they have KK/KJ then I sigh and go on to next hand.

cricket eater joe
Nov 11, 2005

by Ozmaugh
How is my line throughout this hand? I'm the most curious about the turn and river play.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1396439

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

cricket eater joe posted:

How is my line throughout this hand? I'm the most curious about the turn and river play.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1396439

I like the check/raise, but I'm not sure if I lead on the turn. I think a lot of the time you'll be getting a free turn card when he calls your ch/r, as after you lead turn and he calls I don't know how much you're going to get away with on the river.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Ranma4703 posted:

NL 50

I call and get it in on every turn card assuming 100BB stacks.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I probably do the same. If he has a jack it's going in no matter what, if he has a king he might sometimes fold if you go all in immediately and he might fold later, the main difference is if he's just being an aggro idiot this gives you one last time to let him hang himself. If he has nothing and you push now, he has to fold, but if you call, he has to push the turn because it's his only hope of winning.

Delysid
Jul 31, 2003

need another damn shooter

Pizzlefish posted:

you flopped a strong set

Technically he flopped "sort of weak trips." :haw:

re: the preflop raise, is this full ring or 6-max? If it's FR I hate pumping JTs in EP, tight table or not. In 6-max I guess you're obligated to raise almost anything that makes a 20 in blackjack but in a full ring game it's just a silly play.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Delysid posted:

Technically he flopped "sort of weak trips." :haw:

re: the preflop raise, is this full ring or 6-max? If it's FR I hate pumping JTs in EP, tight table or not. In 6-max I guess you're obligated to raise almost anything that makes a 20 in blackjack but in a full ring game it's just a silly play.

Full ring is silly, I don't play it.

I got it all in and smiled, and I won vs his KQo, but I wasn't sure if it was the 'correct' play. I considered just calling his c/r, but I was thinking that a part of his range I was ahead of was a flush draw, and vs every other hand (besides a bluff) that he has I'm getting all in anyway, so why wait for the flush to hit on the turn?

Arrg
Jul 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Slowly getting back into poker.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1400600

What could I have done diffrent? I'd seen him come over the top like that earlier and show the bluff. Sigh variance. :(

Edit: I guess it just reinforces the point of don't go broke with 1 pair. Also, he left the next hand so no chance for my monies back :(

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

for starters, don't raise KJo out of the BB. In multiway limped pots I usually don't even raise AKo out of the BB. This helps avoid the lovely situation of playing KJo OOP on scary boards.

Also I think that you can c/f the river a lot of the time given that you bet the turn; I've never been a fan of wimpy blocking bets like you did there.

Lank
Sep 16, 2002

WHERE IS THE CHANCELLOR?!

Arrg posted:

Slowly getting back into poker.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1400600

What could I have done diffrent? I'd seen him come over the top like that earlier and show the bluff. Sigh variance. :(

Edit: I guess it just reinforces the point of don't go broke with 1 pair. Also, he left the next hand so no chance for my monies back :(

Bet more on the turn so you really know where you're at. You're giving him 5:1 which is even enough for drawing a four flush if he hadn't made one already without having to include implied odds.

If you bet more on the turn, you know that you're probably beat by the river and can check / fold, especially on such a drawy board. He has tons of hands that beat you and not many that would stay that long and bet heavy at the end.

Even if it smells like a bluff he's done in the past, that board scares the hell out of me not even considering your Jack kicker.

perfmode
May 31, 2007

by Lowtax
No reads. Should I have played this any differently?

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1413286

I would have given more respect to his turn raise if he had more chips behind, but with $2 left and good pot odds, I was looking to get everything in the middle asap.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Just shove the flop, EASY

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Shove flop, looks like he has right around a PSB behind.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

perfmode posted:

No reads. Should I have played this any differently?

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1413286

I would have given more respect to his turn raise if he had more chips behind, but with $2 left and good pot odds, I was looking to get everything in the middle asap.

On the flop you should be looking to get it all in. Don't dick around on drawy boards, get the chips in the middle.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Also, bet more than 1/3rd the pot. Bet 2

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Ranma4703 posted:

On the flop you should be looking to get it all in. Don't dick around on drawy boards, get the chips in the middle.

villain is so short that it doesn't really matter. I'd probably bet half the pot on the flop and stick the rest in on the turn since you want villain to make mistakes. the fact that the board is drawy is kind of irrelevant since you are sticking the rest in on any turn card and he isn't folding a FD on the flop anyways.

Arrg
Jul 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcbHzcTFxsTFwMTExMLEwYjHxcDGwMw%3d

Please tell me where I went wrong here. :(

Jelly!
Feb 15, 2007

pAPYruS mEMBeR

Arrg posted:

http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcbHzcTFxsTFwMTExMLEwYjHxcDGwMw%3d

Please tell me where I went wrong here. :(

fold preflop.
but really, I don't think it was played terribly, but the flop reraise was a big hint, only if you had any reads on him. chances you were allin from the beginning anyway.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

The biggest problem with the hand is the flop bet. I would have cbet the flop, but only about 0.40 on the flop as opposed to 1. If he minraises then I probably call and c/f that particular turn.

perfmode
May 31, 2007

by Lowtax
http://www.pokerhand.org/?1418116

Fourth or fifth hand after sitting at table. Should I have re-raised pre-flop here? I feel like I should have checked the turn after he check-called my big bet on the flop.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

holy poo poo that river fold is atrocious. you can't fold any river in the deck if you call the $3 raise on the turn. just shove over his turn raise and move on to the next hand.

perfmode
May 31, 2007

by Lowtax

blah_blah posted:

holy poo poo that river fold is atrocious. you can't fold any river in the deck if you call the $3 raise on the turn. just shove over his turn raise and move on to the next hand.

Does it look like I was behind in that hand?

I feel like calling the river bet would be a bigger mistake if I am 75% certain that I'm beat. Maybe calling the raise on the turn was bad, but shoving the stack simply because I'm invested feels weird to me. Am I off here?

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

perfmode posted:

I feel like calling the river bet would be a bigger mistake if I am 75% certain that I'm beat. Maybe calling the raise on the turn was bad, but shoving the stack simply because I'm invested feels weird to me. Am I off here?

Calling a river bet isn't a mistake if you're 75% certain that you're beat; 70% of your stack is in on the turn! You are getting 6 to 1 on a call if I am reading it correctly; you only need to be right about 17% of the time, which you are for suuuuure.

The board is safe enough, maybe he has 44 or 78 or god knows what else but you have TPTK on a safe enough board and a big pot; just get it in on the turn.

Look, maybe you have some sort of amazing read that you're beat here. But the time to make a sick fold, if ever, is on the turn, where you can fold only having put 40% of your stack in and possibly drawing dead. But the river will never really change anything so if you are calling turn based on your equity against his range you are committed to calling river as well. He can be value shoving with worse, he can be retarded, whatever.

Note that I am not advocating a turn fold; I really feel like it's lighting money on fire. I'd say that you have the best hand more than 50% of the time there; he obviously can show up with 44 or 78 but he doesn't have them always, he can have KJ/KT/K7/whatever.

navi
May 27, 2004

#1 Grandpa!
https://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/C...E8E92ED7C6C1683

Should I have started by betting the turn? Should I have checked?

EDIT: because cake is down...
Hand #1240011359000513: Pebble Beach 11359
Seat 1: uvebeenrobbd (31.00 in chips)
Seat 2: pbfish (26.05 in chips)
Seat 4: DI TORO (58.90 in chips)
Seat 6: Jedi Yoda (19.30 in chips)
Seat 7: 22aipf (51.05 in chips)
Seat 8: ChipLeader (30.00 in chips)
Seat 9: Bucky Badger (117.05 in chips)
Seat 10: BigTicket285 (21.65 in chips)
uvebeenrobbd: posts small blind $0.25
pbfish: posts big blind $0.50
Dealt to 22aipf [ Ac Ks ]
DI TORO: folds
Jedi Yoda: calls
22aipf: raises to $1
ChipLeader: folds
Bucky Badger: calls
BigTicket285: folds
uvebeenrobbd: folds
pbfish: calls
*** FLOP *** [ 2c Ad 6c ]
pbfish: checks
Jedi Yoda: checks
22aipf: bets $4.05
pbfish: folds
*** TURN *** [ Kc ]
Jedi Yoda: checks
22aipf: bets $6
Bucky Badger: raises to $19.80
Jedi Yoda: is all in
22aipf: calls
*** RIVER *** [ Kd ]
22aipf: is all in
*** SHOW DOWN ***
22aipf: shows [ Ac Ks ] (Full House, Kings full of Aces)
Bucky Badger: mucks
22aipf wins $61.95 with Full House, Kings full of Aces
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Jedi Yoda: shows [ Tc 8c ] (Flush, King high)
22aipf wins $57.70 with Full House, Kings full of Aces

navi fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 29, 2007

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Weird spot on the turn. The only reason I can see for the smallish turn bet is that you want to get a call from the big stack and a shove from the shortstack and then reshove? This is bad though, because you have so many hands drawing dead. I probably bet $12 or something, if bucky shoves you probably throw up in your mouth and call because it's cake. I valuebet every river as well.

As played you have to flatcall the turn bet; river is great for you and a shove is definitely the right move.

ultimatemike
May 10, 2005

Little Joe? Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Also don't minraise

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.
http://www.pokerhand.org/?1429507

I got scared when the board paired on the turn and I got raised. Am I missing value by calling the raise on the turn and checking river behind like I did here?

I'm thinking that I should have bet the river when he checked it to me, but I wasn't paying enough attention when the hand was actually happening.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

rath posted:

I got scared when the board paired on the turn and I got raised. Am I missing value by calling the raise on the turn and checking river behind like I did here?

I'm thinking that I should have bet the river when he checked it to me, but I wasn't paying enough attention when the hand was actually happening.

Bet more on the flop, and shove the turn over his minraise. Yeah sometimes he'll have a 5 but a JTx board hits a lot of hands and he could be screwing around with a draw. Also the 5 pairing means that JT was counterfeited, something he might not even realize.

The way the hand played out betting the river is really thin.

somewhat
Sep 11, 2001

there is poo over there!!!
$30r on UB

no hand history but this is what happened. Background: I had 3-bet the poo poo out of him in earlier levels to chip up, and he looked me up with K high in one hand for a medium sized pot (it was a good call). I've definitely got the best of him in our confrontations, though.

42 left, 30 pay

blinds 600/1200 ante is small
effective stacks 36k, villain covers slightly

Everyone folds to opponent in SB who completes, I check.

Flop: 6s-7d-9c

SB checks, I bet 1800, he raises to 3900, I call.

Turn: 2s

SB bets 4500 immediately, I think and call.

River: 9s

SB shoves immediately. What hands are you calling this river with?

Do you call with A9? T9? Do you call with a baby flush? Do you call with A7? QQ? What do you put villain on? What's the worst hand you call with? TY

somewhat fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 31, 2007

somewhat
Sep 11, 2001

there is poo over there!!!

rath posted:

I don't bet the river here but I do shove the turn over his raise

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.
Thanks guys, my main takeaway here is that I play like a passive twit. I'll try to work on that.

Arrg
Jul 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcbAwMTFxsTHwMTExMPMzIjHxcDGwMw%3d

God, this is half brag half Jesus I'm scared.

I've found the best way to beat Cake is to play Action Dan TAG and be HYPER Agressive when I have a hand.

What if the turn had been neutral to me? How should I have played? At what point do I stop re-raising him and cut my losses?

Pizzlefish
Jun 8, 2005

Arrg posted:

http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcbAwMTFxsTHwMTExMPMzIjHxcDGwMw%3d

God, this is half brag half Jesus I'm scared.

I've found the best way to beat Cake is to play Action Dan TAG and be HYPER Agressive when I have a hand.

What if the turn had been neutral to me? How should I have played? At what point do I stop re-raising him and cut my losses?

He bet little and called huge. He almost always has you beat there. The problem is you are pretty much invested here, you only have about pot left with 2 streets to come. If you just call his minimum bet on the turn he will most likely push you on the river and you still pretty much have to call.

I wouldnt have bet so much on the flop myself, just reraise him to $.80 or $1. If you catch a set you can still get it all in there over two streets, otherwise you can get out of there a little easier to a reraise or a scare card.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Two hands, first one is a bluff:
Villian just sat down and is in the BB (first hand)
Hero is in the c/o with JTo, folds to me
I raise to 2.50$ because I know the sb is weak and I want a good SPR for my hand. SB and BB call, pot is $7.15
Flop comes out 6cKcQd
sb checks, villian bets the pot, and I minraise
reason: when people donk into the pfr it is usually to see where they are at. When people minraise, it is usually with a monster to extract. On this site, people have a habit of weak/minraising their premium pp pf, so my plan was to represent either AK, KK, or QQ, and get him to fold something like QJ or KJ on the turn. I did NOT think he was going to fold to the minraise.
Turn comes 5s, he checks, and I bet 30$ into the 32$ pot
Is this spew?

Second one is me being scared:
Villian is loose, loves to draw, loves to chase, here are my notes on him:
limp Kxs pf
c/c a psb w. NPND A high
1/2 pot donk into pfr strong 1x
cs/passive
chck his fd hitting, call a psb to draw
on flop

Effective stacks are 88.60
villian minraises from c/o, hero calls from BB with Qc8C, flop comes out
8sQs5h
I donk 4$ into him because he won't cbet a draw and he is passive, he calls
Turn comes the Ah, pot is around 16$
I bet 10$, he minraises to 10$, hero calls
river is the 9h
I check?

joboo002
Jul 21, 2002

Pocket Aces means you're banned.

Ranma4703 posted:

Two hands

1st:
Your reasoning is very nice sounding, and your line does extract some good chips if he folds a club draw on the turn, but I would question the wisdom of trying this vs. a complete unknown. I would save this kind of move for someone for whom you know donking into the pfr can mean a medium to weak strength hand.

2nd:
I would like more info on a)what he does with a very strong made hand and b)whether he often follows through once he takes the betting lead. If he's as loose/passive as you say, I like a 3/4 pot or so bet (and fold to a raise) to extract value from Ax, but if he's the sort to bet the river because he raised the turn regardless of his hand, I like a c/c to extract more money from a bluff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

albedoa
May 3, 2004

Ranma: I want to comment on these two hands, but you aren't following guideline #2 as stated in the OP. We have no idea what a raise to $2.5 means or if a donk bet of $4 into a minraiser is extreme or if you have any money left behind in hand #1 after your turn bet.

Edit: A few of us in #poker are wondering what SPR means.

albedoa fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 6, 2007

• Locked thread