Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I'm putting the 'fun' in 'fundraiser'!

http://theditch.biz/funds.html
http://theditch.biz/goods/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
As (I think) was hinted at earlier ITT, the AJ '90s project!

http://www.theditch.biz/project.html

Deadline is 12/3 at 8:59 AM EST

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Ditch posted:

As (I think) was hinted at earlier ITT, the AJ '90s project!

http://www.theditch.biz/project.html

Deadline is 12/3 at 8:59 AM EST

Okay some I've seen mebs 10% of these matches that I can remember. But I'm going to do this. No really I am. It's gonna be awesome!

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Like 30-40 minutes a day and you'll be good to go!

In other news, Kensuke Sasaki is YOUR new Triple Crown champ, beating Minoru Suzuki in over 40 minutes.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Right well I've decided to review the matches as I go to keep track of my thoughts. The first few are up at my blog http://wastedwrestling.blogspot.com/ if anyone cares.

Also Ditch I have a question. Which is the Kobashi/Misawa vs Kawada/Taue match where Kobashi has his knee destroyed and can't walk, but tries to stop the heels from attacking Misawa by lying on top of him? I know it's 1994 or 1995 but I can't remember the date. The finish is a powerbomb on Misawa from Kawada if you need any more clues. Honestly that may be my favourite match ever but since they had like eight matches I can't find the right date.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
It's June '95 and it's my favorite match too :c00lbert:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm going through this chronologically so that I can take part as well. I'm giving each match star rankings for now so I can go back and rank easier once it's all done. Taue/Jumbo vs. Kawada/Misawa II has jumped into my favorite matches.

90s
-5/26/90 - Jumbo, Kabuki, Fuchi vs. Misawa, Kobashi, Taue *** 3/4
-6/8/90 - Jumbo vs. Misawa **** 1/4
-8/26/90 - Kobashi vs. Dan Kroffat ** 1/2
-9/1/90 - Fulton/Rogers vs. Malenko/Kikuchi **
-9/1/90 - Jumbo vs. Misawa - **** 1/2
-9/30/90 - Jumbo/Taue vs. Misawa/Kawada - *** 3/4
-10/19/90 - Jumbo/Taue/Fuchi vs. Kobashi/Kawada/Misawa - *** 3/4
-12/07/90 - Jumbo/Taue vs. Misawa/Kawada - **** 3/4

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl

weekly font posted:

-9/1/90 - Fulton/Rogers vs. Malenko/Kikuchi **
You are crazy and your opinion is wrong

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

RheinholdMessner posted:

You are crazy and your opinion is wrong

Part of this could easily be I couldn't get sound to play on this file.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

weekly font posted:

Part of this could easily be I couldn't get sound to play on this file.
Well poo poo that's gonna take the starch out of anything.

Here's Meltzer's ratings, for reference
****1/2
****3/4
****1/2
unrated
****1/2

Even by western NY winter standards that's a whole lot of snow. I mean Kobashi vs Kroffat is good but four stars for that is silly, especially not in full. Also putting the 9/1 tag match ahead of Jumbo vs Misawa II is probably the single most blatant laugher I've seen from him.

What made you like the tag league match the most? I enjoyed it a ton but it didn't stand out as among-the-best-of-the-decade like, say, the Jumbo vs Misawa bouts.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ditch posted:

Well poo poo that's gonna take the starch out of anything.

Here's Meltzer's ratings, for reference
****1/2
****3/4
****1/2
unrated
****1/2

Even by western NY winter standards that's a whole lot of snow. I mean Kobashi vs Kroffat is good but four stars for that is silly, especially not in full. Also putting the 9/1 tag match ahead of Jumbo vs Misawa II is probably the single most blatant laugher I've seen from him.

What made you like the tag league match the most? I enjoyed it a ton but it didn't stand out as among-the-best-of-the-decade like, say, the Jumbo vs Misawa bouts.

I seem to do stars a lot differently from how Dave does them. ** 1/2 is where every match starts for me and then it can go up or down from there. For a match to get five it has to keep me enthralled from start to finish with very few dead spots and great storytelling. The tag league match I feel has the best Misawa/Jumbo interaction of all the tag bouts. The "man in peril" run was great here because Jumbo was KO'd outside the ring and even if Taue wanted to make the tag he couldn't, which when the hot tag did come made it that much better. There were one or two awkward moments though, like when Kawada suplexes Taue in the crowd and Taue immediately gets up and walks back to the ring, which dropped the score, but of the stuff on the shortlist it's my favorite match so far. The Jumbo/Misawa bouts are good, I like the ending of the first more though the second has a lot more hatred between the two and less downtime in the middle.

Something I'm wondering is how Taue started the year on the youngsters team and ended it with a pretty regular pairing with Jumbo.

I'm kind of stoked about going through this stuff since I have three or four days where I have absolutely nothing to do before I go back to college, so I'm going to poopsock it and fly through these. Also why isn't there much Hansen on the shortlist?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Taue switched in August IIRC. There's a 6 man I have yet to obtain that's supposedly quite good where Taue debuts as Jumbo's #2. The *why* is that a bunch of Jumbo's guys (Kabuki, Yatsu) left the company, and Mighty Inoue was a marginal wrestler for such a big feud.

weekly font posted:

Also why isn't there much Hansen on the shortlist?
Huh? You mean the project list? He's on there 12 times and figures to have two or three in the top 25. That ain't bad. If it was a top 100 list with like 200 nominations there would be a ton more Hansen because he had a LOT of solid but not quite stellar bouts.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ditch posted:

Taue switched in August IIRC. There's a 6 man I have yet to obtain that's supposedly quite good where Taue debuts as Jumbo's #2. The *why* is that a bunch of Jumbo's guys (Kabuki, Yatsu) left the company, and Mighty Inoue was a marginal wrestler for such a big feud.

Huh? You mean the project list? He's on there 12 times and figures to have two or three in the top 25. That ain't bad. If it was a top 100 list with like 200 nominations there would be a ton more Hansen because he had a LOT of solid but not quite stellar bouts.

Ah okay. I was just surprised he wasn't there much in 90/91. I haven't looked forward much cause I don't want to spoil myself in what I'm seeing. :) Just got done with the fat gaijin tag from 4/18 and it was awesome.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
For example, Hansen vs Williams and Hansen vs Gordy from June '90 have no business in a top 50 list but both are real good. You might wanna check those out while you're at it.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/70003
Results! News! NJ & AJ analysis! Shilling! It's all there baby!

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Not the most relevant thing I know but there's a 6 dvd Megumi Kudo dvd comp at IVPvideos for $4 a disc. Which contains virtually every notable match she was in post 92.

I'm sure Roshi will be happy if he's not already got it.

I can't remember if IVP is liked or disliked on here.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Wow, Ricky Marvin looks really gross with a shaved head. I thought that was SUWA in the six man tag at the ROH Tokyo show at first.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
At today's Budokan show, Morishima beat Akiyama (with a lariat!) and Marufuji beat Saito in the semi's of the title contention tournament. Marufuji then beat Morishima to get the next shot at Misawa on 9/29.

Winner gets Samoa Joe at the 10/27 Budokan show

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ditch posted:

At today's Budokan show, Morishima beat Akiyama (with a lariat!) and Marufuji beat Saito in the semi's of the title contention tournament. Marufuji then beat Morishima to get the next shot at Misawa on 9/29.

Winner gets Samoa Joe at the 10/27 Budokan show

:aaa: Ho-lee poo poo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'm not really feeling anything more than "meh."

Although I remember when I speculated about Joe getting a Budokan Hall title shot and being told he wasn't close to that level when NOAH was speculating about challengers for the summer show.

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl

MassRayPer posted:

I'm not really feeling anything more than "meh."

Although I remember when I speculated about Joe getting a Budokan Hall title shot and being told he wasn't close to that level when NOAH was speculating about challengers for the summer show.
I still don't think Joe is that over in Japan.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RheinholdMessner posted:

I still don't think Joe is that over in Japan.

I don't really think he is either but I don't think NOAH has many choices with how they've drawn this year.

Edit: Holy poo poo, Marufuji used the Pole Shift on Morishima? How the gently caress did he do that.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 9, 2007

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Shingo hit Last Falconry on him, so anything's possible.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

Shingo hit Last Falconry on him, so anything's possible.

Shingo while not being that big is a powerhouse of a dude. Marufuji has added on some muscle mass, but him hitting that is to me much more impressive.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Also I will bet anything that NOAH is only doing this because of the Angle vs Joe feud. They knew Joe could go after the Kobashi match, but Joe going toe-to-toe with Angle on US PPV is better for hyping.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

Also I will bet anything that NOAH is only doing this because of the Angle vs Joe feud. They knew Joe could go after the Kobashi match, but Joe going toe-to-toe with Angle on US PPV is better for hyping.

"Witness the dumbest man on the planet face off against Misawa"

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

Maybe they'll have Ogawa play the role of Karen Angle.

HwoodNG
May 4, 2004

Highly Respected SAS Wrestling Poster

MassRayPer posted:

Sting is wrestling Misawa?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Just as long as we don't get a NOAH show with Joe having stolen Misawa's clothes :barf:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/70421
THIS WEEK: I crush the dreams of Samoa Joe fans. And with gusto.

:(

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ditch posted:

http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/70421
THIS WEEK: I crush the dreams of Samoa Joe fans. And with gusto.

:(

I could live with Misawa and Joe going to a one hour draw. Just put Misawa on a heavy cardio routine and he'll hang in there fine.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
It's not his cardio I'm worried about, it's his brain. Going an hour really requires being able to milk holds and work body parts effectively and Misawa has NEVER done that. In his long matches with Kobashi, it was Kobashi who controlled the middle sections. Going an hour effectively takes two who can slow-dance.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Misawa beat Marufuji to retain the GHC title. That means Misawa vs Joe next month and a high probability of Misawa vs KENTA in NYC.

TheDuelies
Jul 13, 2005

I'd go gay for this goggle-eyed freak!

Ditch posted:

Misawa beat Marufuji to retain the GHC title.

Any word/idea if the match was any good? I've really enjoyed Marufuji.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

TheDuelies posted:

Their first match was kind of bleh. Misawa is dangerously close to becoming :effort:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheDuelies posted:

Check out their match from the December Budokan show, it is really good. Marufuji really figured out a good way to work around Misawa's limitations, although I'm not sure what in the hell they have left for a rematch. It is on the Great Voyage 2006 DVD, which also comes with KENTA vs Danielson II, so it's a pretty good pick up.

Has NOAH done a legit 10K+ for any show since then? (Meaning 10,000 before papering, and lies.)

wasteofshoes
Jul 24, 2007
Serotonin deficient, living a poisonous promise.
Is there any story behind Misawa beating Marufuji for the title in the first place? It seemed like Marufuji was supposed to be a big deal, then he had a couple matches after winning the belt and then Misawa took it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

wasteofshoes posted:

Is there any story behind Misawa beating Marufuji for the title in the first place? It seemed like Marufuji was supposed to be a big deal, then he had a couple matches after winning the belt and then Misawa took it.

Marufuji got the belt and his first defense vs KENTA did an AWFUL gate of about 7,000. It didn't help matters that the rest of the card was weak as hell (and frankly the KENTA/Marufuji match isn't close to what it is hyped up to be.) but NOAH seemed to panic and went for Misawa to help their drawing power.

That has not helped at all.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

TheDuelies posted:

No word, gotta wait for it to hit stateside.

weekly font posted:

Their first match was kind of bleh. Misawa is dangerously close to becoming :effort:
I don't care for Misawa in singles but he does try, he's just very stupid about it. A highspots style isn't how you work when you're old and broken down. It's all about simple stuff that the crowd knows and reacts to. See: Jumbo '90-'92. Or to a much lesser extent Hogan.

MassRayPer posted:

Has NOAH done a legit 10K+ for any show since then? (Meaning 10,000 before papering, and lies.)
I don't know if that was even a legit 10k. The July '06 Budokan I *know* was legit.

wasteofshoes posted:

It was a flukish win (over Akiyama last year) designed to get Marufuji over as someone who wins with craft rather than force. Even his win over Morishima two weeks ago was all about circumstance rather than power. He CAN beat the big guns, just not at their own game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDuelies
Jul 13, 2005

I'd go gay for this goggle-eyed freak!

http://noah.puroresufan.com/ posted:

Kobashi to return on 12/2 Budokan! by RD - 02 Oct 2007
Kenta Kobashi stated today that he has been in regular practice in anticipation of a return to the ring at the 12/2 Tokyo Nippon Budokan show. Kobashi said that he has had routine health checkups every month and that there had been no sign of complications from his cancer surgery last year.