Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

flick posted:

He didn't need the boat to beat you.

he did if I got the flush which is what I was going for. I wanted to take him out early so I took a gamble on it. he would have needed a boat to beat the flush I was going for. I figured I had more of a chance to get that flush compared to him getting a boat to beat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsquash
Jul 6, 2000

hello internet posted:

he did if I got the flush which is what I was going for. I wanted to take him out early so I took a gamble on it. he would have needed a boat to beat the flush I was going for. I figured I had more of a chance to get that flush compared to him getting a boat to beat it.

That logic doesn't make any sense. Here are the numbers for you anyway.

Assuming your read is 100% right.

code:
ext results appended to pokerstove.txt

77,220  games     0.062 secs     1,245,483  games/sec

Board: Kh 4h Kd
Dead:  

equity 	win 	        tie 	      pots won 	pots tied	
Hand 0: 	25.221%        00.00% 	         19476 	        0.00   { Ah9h }
Hand 1: 	74.779%        00.00% 	         57744 	        0.00   { K5s+, K3s-K2s, K5o+, K3o-K2o }

ultimatemike
May 10, 2005

Little Joe? Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

flick posted:

He didn't need the boat to beat you.

A high doesn't beat trips?

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

flick posted:

That logic doesn't make any sense. Here are the numbers for you anyway.

Assuming your read is 100% right.

code:
ext results appended to pokerstove.txt

77,220  games     0.062 secs     1,245,483  games/sec

Board: Kh 4h Kd
Dead:  

equity 	win 	        tie 	      pots won 	pots tied	
Hand 0: 	25.221%        00.00% 	         19476 	        0.00   { Ah9h }
Hand 1: 	74.779%        00.00% 	         57744 	        0.00   { K5s+, K3s-K2s, K5o+, K3o-K2o }

Alright so it was a bad call that turned out lucky

albedoa
May 3, 2004

MoGurt posted:

Despite prior insanity, I have an honest question.

I really have no problem saying that I think it's pretty loving despicable of you to have abandoned a thread that you created here without answering any of our questions only to come back from your hiatus looking for help.

That's not to mention the other thread you abandoned in GBS. Who do you think you are?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

OlSpazzy posted:

No reads on villain as I just sat down to the table (I'm Jessica):

i always thought you were some 18 year old girl named Jessica

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

hello internet posted:

four things can happen:

he can boat up, you hit a flush
he can boat up, you fail to hit your flush
he fails to boat up, you hit a flush
he fails to boat up, you fail to hit your flush

while (3) is more likely than (1), (2) or (4) happen over 60% of the time, and you only win if (3) happens.

cricket eater joe
Nov 11, 2005

by Ozmaugh
http://www.pokerhand.org/?1621398

I am aware that this hand is horribly misplayed in every way. My question is on the both the pre flop and flop play. Given my stack, should I just call here and plan to move at most low flops, or should I reraise pre? On the flop what is the preferable line given b/f, b/c, and c/r? I feel a c/f on the flop would be weak. On the turn I am just lighting money on fire. This was stupid, and I felt stupid when I did it. My only justification was that 50% of my stack was already in the pot, but this still looks like an obvious c/f turn.

DaGr8Gatzby
Aug 7, 2006
http://www.pokerhand.org/?1621741

I'm questioning my All in decision immediately after he raises. Should I have slowplayed this? This was the villain's first hand.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

cricket eater joe posted:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1621398

I am aware that this hand is horribly misplayed in every way. My question is on the both the pre flop and flop play. Given my stack, should I just call here and plan to move at most low flops, or should I reraise pre? On the flop what is the preferable line given b/f, b/c, and c/r? I feel a c/f on the flop would be weak. On the turn I am just lighting money on fire. This was stupid, and I felt stupid when I did it. My only justification was that 50% of my stack was already in the pot, but this still looks like an obvious c/f turn.

Barring any reads, and because of your stack you need to just let this go. With your remaining stack size once he calls the raise on the flop he is never folding the turn if he actually had something on the flop. You took your shot at the pot and he called its probably time to give it up.

Your stack is too big to push preflop and too small to be raising on the flop here mainly for the reasons you already stated. If you feel he is opening light since it is 6-max then 3-bet him preflop. Probably the best move here would be to call preflop, call flop, check/fold turn. He is rarely going to bluff at you again on the turn given the stack sizes. Your stack of 40bb doesn't really allow you to make a move with 88.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

DaGr8Gatzby posted:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1621741

I'm questioning my All in decision immediately after he raises. Should I have slowplayed this? This was the villain's first hand.

1. You should raise higher preflop, being out of position with AK.

2. If you check call the tiny flop bet you're basically saying you're going with K high flush all the way assuming its the nuts right? You conflicted this by making your hand into a bluff on the turn with the CRAI. Despite the results you'll hardly ever get a lower spade to call, and when called its always A flush.

madrappin
Dec 5, 2006

Solar, wind power, and knives! Green Team!

HKS posted:

1. You should raise higher preflop, being out of position with AK.

2. If you check call the tiny flop bet you're basically saying you're going with K high flush all the way assuming its the nuts right? You conflicted this by making your hand into a bluff on the turn with the CRAI. Despite the results you'll hardly ever get a lower spade to call, and when called its always A flush.

Regarding your second point, are you saying it would be better to raise the flop bet? How much would you raise it? Or would you just check/call all the way? I ask because I have found myself in the exact same position many times, and I think I play it the same way, and its the reason my pokertracker stats for AKo are so terrible.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Blargh this hand. I went from wanting to build the pot by inviting overcalls to wanting everyone to get out of it, kinda lost my bearings.

Hand #1298011298000896: Pebble Beach 11298
Seat 1: winorwin (8.46 in chips)
Seat 2: jugador1923 (41.78 in chips)
Seat 3: konamark (48.80 in chips)
Seat 4: IronHide (31.60 in chips)
Seat 5: Gnolfo (43.50 in chips)
Seat 6: DaddyWags (60.47 in chips)
Seat 7: Mitsuji (52.35 in chips)
Seat 8: Unemployed (25.75 in chips)
Seat 10: dalejr (26.00 in chips)
dalejr: posts small blind $0.25
winorwin: posts big blind $0.50
Dealt to Gnolfo [ 5:c: 6:c: ]
jugador1923: folds
konamark: calls
IronHide: folds
Gnolfo: calls
DaddyWags: calls
Mitsuji: folds
Unemployed: folds
dalejr: calls
winorwin: checks
*** FLOP *** (pot $2.5) [ 9:s:, 5:d:, 5:s: ]
dalejr: checks
winorwin: checks
konamark: bets $1.25
DaddyWags: calls
dalejr: folds
winorwin: folds
*** TURN *** (pot $6.25) [ 4:h: ]
konamark: bets $3.13
DaddyWags: folds
*** RIVER *** (pot $12.51) [ J:s: ]
konamark: bets $6.25
Gnolfo: raises to $15

I don't know what this slowplay+raise crap was but I felt idiotic.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

please raise the turn (I don't like the flop either but not raising turn is really bad, as played you'll have a hard time getting all the money in on a river blank). I'm not sure how I feel about the river, your hand is underrepped but it seems like he should be folding worse and calling/shoving better.

DaGr8Gatzby
Aug 7, 2006
http://www.pokerhand.org/?1628039

Thought process:

Pre-Flop:
Villain had been limping in with any Face Card-Rag Combo(unsuited of course) for the previous 3 hands. 2 of those hands had him hit the 2-pair on the Turn or River, meaning that a raise was expected from him at the flop if he had any pairs. I min-raise to induce a reraise from the Villain. We are short handed so after I call it's head up.

Flop:

At this point, I think that he's already hit a pair. I put him on Q9o at this point. Although I'm not so sure because a PP was also possible since he had been limping in with anything and catching like crazy. I decide to just call here because the board has given me numerous outs to potentially stack him, and I cannot determine his exact range, as at this point it is huge.

Turn:

So I hit my Ace. Good job. If he does have the queen, he'll defintely bet into this. I still have no reason to fear the two pair because I had seen him slow play it when he did hit it on the turn. Pot size bet is called here because of my odds to hit the flush(Is this wrong?)

River:

So the flush didn't come and I get an all-in raise. At this point I don't fear what he has. I have TP with a lousy kicker, but his betting style at this point in other hands didn't match what he gave to me. Other times he would have done a probe bet to see if he could get the other guy to raise him, and then he would ReRaise to about 1.5 the pot size(a reasonable bet) to induce the opponent to call. To me this looked more like a scare tactic. I think for a moment and realize I'm already pot committed and call.

Is this a good thought process? I haven't had a good enough sample size to determine whether or not I am a winning player(although I'm pretty certain that I might be just break-even or right below break-even). However, I have been running good and am reading literature to make me a better player. I'm just trying to improve my game to where I can beat NL25. My bankroll at Bodog is 222(I deposited 150) and I'm playing NL10, with an occasional stab at NL25. I also managed to turn a $10 bonus at Ultimate Bet(even though I hate the entire Absolute fiasco) to 120.00. Any response is appreciated.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

DaGr8Gatzby posted:

Thought process:

I min-raise to induce a reraise from the Villain.

Is this a good thought process?

no. your idea of trying to put him on a specific hand is stupid. you also are not necessarily calling turn because you have a 25% chance of hitting your flush, you're calling because you have the best hand most of the time. in fact I'd probably just shove the turn. You're overthinking the river; you shouldn't be calling the turn if you are expecting to fold most blank rivers.

ultimatemike
May 10, 2005

If you want to minraise then play limit.

Cubicle Farmer
Oct 18, 2005

And it came to pass, when they were on the field, that Cooley rose up against Witten his opponent, and slew him.
NL50 5-max on PokerRoom.

Hero (~$45) - Just sat down a few minutes ago.
Villain (~$150) - No reads since I've never played with him before.

Hero is Button with A:d: A:h:. Villain is BB. UTG and CO fold, Hero raises to $2, SB folds, Villain calls $2.

Flop: 2:d: 7:c: 8:c:. Pot $4.25. Villain checks, Hero bets $3, Villain calls.

Turn: 10:c:. Pot $10.25. Villain checks, Hero bets $6, Villain raises to $12, Hero folds.

Standard fold here, or too timid? Better to bet/fold the turn or check behind? I think I should've bet more on the flop but I don't think it would've mattered in this hand.

DaGr8Gatzby
Aug 7, 2006
Now that I think about it, why the hell did I minraise. Good call guys. I appreciate the response.

Delysid
Jul 31, 2003

need another damn shooter

Cubicle Farmer posted:

Standard fold here, or too timid? Better to bet/fold the turn or check behind? I think I should've bet more on the flop but I don't think it would've mattered in this hand.

He could just be making a play, assuming you're C-betting and keeping up the charade on the turn. He could have been floating you with air intending to make a move on the turn and hit the ten (his big stack means he's probably a lot more willing to gambooool especially if he's a sub-average player.) He's very unlikely to have 2 pair or a straight, if he has a set or a flush then you'll lose some money and it sucks but you lose more long term by laying down big overpairs in spots like this than you'll ever lose paying off the occasional monster, epsecially at 5-max. If you are indeed beat, given his turn minraise, his river bet is likely to be small (twats who minraise also tend to bet way too loving small after c/ring), and you can roll your eyes and see a cheap showdown.

Your flop bet is standard, as is the turn bet (I'm probably betting bigger, sometimes makes him less likely to make a move unless he has a real hand, protects your hand vs. a lone club, etc.) Checking behind on the turn would be completely foolish. I'd have to have a very very solid read (like the tightest nittiest opponent in the loving world with no tricky tendencies at all) to make that laydown that you made. If you're going to lay down aces in that spot you really shouldn't be playing 5-max, you'll get run over while you wait for the nuts.

Cubicle Farmer
Oct 18, 2005

And it came to pass, when they were on the field, that Cooley rose up against Witten his opponent, and slew him.

Delysid posted:

I'd have to have a very very solid read (like the tightest nittiest opponent in the loving world with no tricky tendencies at all) to make that laydown that you made. If you're going to lay down aces in that spot you really shouldn't be playing 5-max, you'll get run over while you wait for the nuts.

Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to say that I didn't insta-fold or anything, I used up pretty much all my time bank thinking about calling and then also calling a river bet (unless something like a 9 or another club came out) but without a read that the guy was a loose or tricky player I had a hard time coming up with hands that I could beat that he wouldn't check-raise with in this spot, other than complete air.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

I think in general your turn bet size should be much bigger. like $9 or something. It decreases the chance that someone will make a move at you because it costs more, and of course you get more value when you're ahead.

Cubicle Farmer
Oct 18, 2005

HKS posted:

I think in general your turn bet size should be much bigger. like $9 or something. It decreases the chance that someone will make a move at you because it costs more, and of course you get more value when you're ahead.

Duly noted. The $6 bet would have probably been better on an unconnected, unsuited board.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

ultimatemike posted:

If you want to minraise then play limit.

I actually like minraising relatively frequently with huge hands/when I think he is on a stone bluff. It clears people out if they have nothing and often induces a large 3bet from mediocre made hands.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I figured I'd give my comments on this.

DaGr8Gatzby posted:

Thought process:

Pre-Flop:
Villain had been limping in with any Face Card-Rag Combo(unsuited of course) for the previous 3 hands. 2 of those hands had him hit the 2-pair on the Turn or River, meaning that a raise was expected from him at the flop if he had any pairs. I min-raise to induce a reraise from the Villain. We are short handed so after I call it's head up.

You already know that the minraise was dumb, so I'll keep this short. Minraising to "induce a reraise" is very silly considering 1) you are out of position [edit: oops, no you arent] and 2) A9s isnt really a hand to be inducing anything with. What happens if you flop an ace? Why aren't you just "inducing" a raise from AQ that has you crushed? This is short handed and you have a good hand, just make the standard play and raise 3x or 4x or whatever.

quote:

Flop:

At this point, I think that he's already hit a pair. I put him on Q9o at this point. Although I'm not so sure because a PP was also possible since he had been limping in with anything and catching like crazy. I decide to just call here because the board has given me numerous outs to potentially stack him, and I cannot determine his exact range, as at this point it is huge.

Yeah, this flop looks like it hit him so he could have a pair. Don't put him on Q9o though. You have to figure a range of hands that he can play this way. If you think Q9o is doing this, then so is QJ, KQ, AQ, you get the idea. Now you think a pair is part of his range too, like what? JJ? 99? Is he cbetting any pair? You are right, his range is probably huge and you definitely arent folding the nut flush draw at this point so your options are to raise or call. I don't think there is really a right answer to raising or calling because its so opponent specific. Either way, a call isn't terrible.

quote:

Turn:

So I hit my Ace. Good job. If he does have the queen, he'll defintely bet into this. I still have no reason to fear the two pair because I had seen him slow play it when he did hit it on the turn. Pot size bet is called here because of my odds to hit the flush(Is this wrong?)

The ace is a good and bad card for you. Given your read, it seems like he would try and slowplay if he happened to hit an ace here and continue firing otherwise. If you say he slowplayed two pair before, thats a good read and it makes it more likely you have the best hand at this point. Do you know anything about how aggressive he is and how many times he double barrels without a strong hand? Either way, you have top pair and a bunch of outs and I think the best thing to do is to just shove it at this point since you have so little money behind relative to the pot. Calling and folding the river would be a gigantic mistake because of the odds you are getting at the end. You can't call here unless you plan on calling any river too.

quote:

River:

So the flush didn't come and I get an all-in raise. At this point I don't fear what he has. I have TP with a lousy kicker, but his betting style at this point in other hands didn't match what he gave to me. Other times he would have done a probe bet to see if he could get the other guy to raise him, and then he would ReRaise to about 1.5 the pot size(a reasonable bet) to induce the opponent to call. To me this looked more like a scare tactic. I think for a moment and realize I'm already pot committed and call.

Is this a good thought process? I haven't had a good enough sample size to determine whether or not I am a winning player(although I'm pretty certain that I might be just break-even or right below break-even). However, I have been running good and am reading literature to make me a better player. I'm just trying to improve my game to where I can beat NL25. My bankroll at Bodog is 222(I deposited 150) and I'm playing NL10, with an occasional stab at NL25. I also managed to turn a $10 bonus at Ultimate Bet(even though I hate the entire Absolute fiasco) to 120.00. Any response is appreciated.

This is obviously an instacall as explained earlier, but its good that you have this read. It seems like he doesnt ever have a monster when he is fastplaying. For what its worth, I would have played it nearly the same except for making a normal raise preflop and shoving the turn. Your thought process is decent and attempting to put people on hands and ranges already makes you better than 90% of NL25ers. The whole game is about putting people on a range and figuring out the best move from there. Just keep practicing by paying attention to your table and trying to put people on hands even when you arent involved yourself.

nachos fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 27, 2007

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

HKS posted:

Hand #1280012031001310: Amsterdam (6-max) 12031
Seat 3: Italirish (408.50 in chips)
Seat 4: Deadhorse86 (831.90 in chips)
Seat 5: biblethunder (96.00 in chips)
Seat 8: PokerSoEasy (656.70 in chips)
Seat 9: HKS (759.00 in chips)
Seat 10: betis83 (998.99 in chips)
Italirish: posts small blind $2
Deadhorse86: posts big blind $4
Dealt to HKS [ Kh Ad ]
biblethunder: calls
PokerSoEasy: folds
HKS: raises to $18
betis83: folds
Italirish: folds
Deadhorse86: calls
biblethunder: calls

*** FLOP *** [ Ac, 5s, 8h. ]
Deadhorse86: checks
biblethunder: checks
HKS: bets $44
Deadhorse86: raises to $155
biblethunder: folds
HKS: calls

*** TURN *** [ 7d. ]
Deadhorse86: bets $200
HKS: folds
Deadhorse86: returns uncalled bet $200
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Deadhorse86: mucks
Deadhorse86 wins $363

Read on deadhorse86: playing solid and tight, haven't seen him get out of line
my own image: playing tight, I just ventured into 2/4 so haven't opened up too much yet. I've only shown down one hand previous to this and it was TPTK.

Basically I think this is the set line, at the time I couldn't imagine him doing this with anything but 55 or 88. So I made a weak play by calling the flop and folding to turn aggression. Now that I think about it a strangely played 67s or 67o might be in his range, he coldcalled my isolation raise from BB and that's usually a small/medium pocket pair or some kind of suited connector. Theres some slight chance that villain has A5 or A8 but I don't think he's coldcalling me with that hand there.

are AA, 55, 88, 67o and 67s the only cards in his range? how would you guys play this?

This is one of those way ahead/way behind hands that you feel like you shouldn't fold because wtf TOPTOP!!! In spots like this sometimes I find it easier to figure out what I am actually beating that plays like this. If your read on deadhorse is tight and solid, what is it based on? How many times have you seen him c/r? Did he show it down? What kinds of hands has he coldcalled? Can AQ be one of them? Does he tend to play for pot control or is he ramming and jamming with top pair?

I think my default is to call the c/r and re-evaluate on the turn in position. What are you beating that plays like this? AQ seems like the only plausible hand, and even that is unlikely because I think you would have noticed it before if he played top pair this strong. You guys are also almost 200bb deep and he seems ready to get some money in there, playing 67 this way seems out of character for the read you gave. I'd probably play it the same and fold on the turn.

OlSpazzy
Feb 10, 2004

No reads on villain, do I have a better line here? I don't want to give him odds to draw at the flush or straight, if that's what he's raising.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1633194

(he had 44)

Cubicle Farmer
Oct 18, 2005

Another NL50 hand on PokerRoom:

Hero (~$59) - I'd been picking up a lot of playable hands and raising a lot.
Villain (~$120) - Seemed to donk a lot of flops after calling raises OOP. Limped UTG often for some reason.

Hero is Button with A:d: 9:c:. Villain is UTG. Villain calls $0.50, CO folds, Hero raises to $2.50, SB folds, BB folds, Villain calls $2.

Flop: 9:s: 3:d: A:h:. Pot $5.75. Villain bets $5, Hero calls.

Turn: 7:h:. Pot $15.75. Villain bets $7, Hero raises to $20, Villain calls.

River: 2:h:. Pot $55.75. Villain bets $32. Hero?

On the flop I decided to slowplay a little, since my top two was probably way ahead and the board was not at all coordinated. I was going to bet/raise the turn regardless of what came off (except maybe another ace). So I follow through with this plan and he quickly calls. The river puts three hearts on board and he bets just enough to put me all-in. Crying call or crying fold?

ultimatemike
May 10, 2005

Cubicle Farmer posted:

Another NL50 hand on PokerRoom:

Hero (~$59) - I'd been picking up a lot of playable hands and raising a lot.
Villain (~$120) - Seemed to donk a lot of flops after calling raises OOP. Limped UTG often for some reason.

Hero is Button with A:d: 9:c:. Villain is UTG. Villain calls $0.50, CO folds, Hero raises to $2.50, SB folds, BB folds, Villain calls $2.

Flop: 9:s: 3:d: A:h:. Pot $5.75. Villain bets $5, Hero calls.

Turn: 7:h:. Pot $15.75. Villain bets $7, Hero raises to $20, Villain calls.

River: 2:h:. Pot $55.75. Villain bets $32. Hero?

On the flop I decided to slowplay a little, since my top two was probably way ahead and the board was not at all coordinated. I was going to bet/raise the turn regardless of what came off (except maybe another ace). So I follow through with this plan and he quickly calls. The river puts three hearts on board and he bets just enough to put me all-in. Crying call or crying fold?

Easy call. I bet you see A7 or 97 there often enough to be good.

Also, raise turn.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Cake NL50 6-max. JOeEeyYy is a maniac. Opening with Q9o for 16BB, pushing his stack on the flop/turn for 20-40x the pot. He's open raising most hands by 3-6x, etc. His stack is big but swinging up and down a lot. No real reads on CatchJuan.

Hand #1300011506000606: Pebble Beach (6-Max) 11506
Seat 3: JOeEeyYy (150.92 in chips)
Seat 4: ecruje (54.12 in chips)
Seat 5: CatchJuan (55.68 in chips)
Seat 6: Gnolfo (64.65 in chips)
Seat 7: mofodawg (54.40 in chips)
Seat 8: rads3168 (64.68 in chips)
JOeEeyYy: posts small blind $0.25
ecruje: posts big blind $0.50
Dealt to Gnolfo [ 6:s: 5:s: ]
CatchJuan: calls
mofodawg: folds
rads3168: folds
JOeEeyYy: raises to $2.50
ecruje: folds
CatchJuan: calls
*** FLOP *** (pot $8) [ 2:s:, 7:s:, 4:s: ]
JOeEeyYy: checks
CatchJuan: bets $3
Gnolfo: raises to $8

JOeEeyYy: calls
CatchJuan: folds
*** TURN *** (pot $25) [ A:s: ] :argh:
JOeEeyYy: checks
Gnolfo: bets $13.50

I didn't see any option but raising the flop. Calling just invited naked spades to draw out and I don't want to rely on my 2-outer if I can chase people off instead. I don't know if the raise amount was right or not, though. The pot was just under $8 from rake and i'm pretty plainly still offering good implied odds to anyone with a big spade.

The maniac bit is the only thing that made me bet the turn. If he had the flush he would have shoved, and I've seen him call the river with nothing. Then again his flop call puts him at a high chance of holding a spade, so maybe the bet was wrong?

Anyway, this hand was a little while ago and worked out because he folded the turn. I went on to take a total of about 1.5 buyins from him before he left the table.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

I enjoy checking behind the turn and calling 90% of the rivers, because he'll bluff.

cricket eater joe
Nov 11, 2005

by Ozmaugh

nachos posted:

I figured I'd give my comments on this.

You already know that the minraise was dumb, so I'll keep this short. Minraising to "induce a reraise" is very silly considering 1) you are out of position [edit: oops, no you arent] and 2) A9s isnt really a hand to be inducing anything with. What happens if you flop an ace? Why aren't you just "inducing" a raise from AQ that has you crushed? This is short handed and you have a good hand, just make the standard play and raise 3x or 4x or whatever.

Yeah, this flop looks like it hit him so he could have a pair. Don't put him on Q9o though. You have to figure a range of hands that he can play this way. If you think Q9o is doing this, then so is QJ, KQ, AQ, you get the idea. Now you think a pair is part of his range too, like what? JJ? 99? Is he cbetting any pair? You are right, his range is probably huge and you definitely arent folding the nut flush draw at this point so your options are to raise or call. I don't think there is really a right answer to raising or calling because its so opponent specific. Either way, a call isn't terrible.

The ace is a good and bad card for you. Given your read, it seems like he would try and slowplay if he happened to hit an ace here and continue firing otherwise. If you say he slowplayed two pair before, thats a good read and it makes it more likely you have the best hand at this point. Do you know anything about how aggressive he is and how many times he double barrels without a strong hand? Either way, you have top pair and a bunch of outs and I think the best thing to do is to just shove it at this point since you have so little money behind relative to the pot. Calling and folding the river would be a gigantic mistake because of the odds you are getting at the end. You can't call here unless you plan on calling any river too.

This is obviously an instacall as explained earlier, but its good that you have this read. It seems like he doesnt ever have a monster when he is fastplaying. For what its worth, I would have played it nearly the same except for making a normal raise preflop and shoving the turn. Your thought process is decent and attempting to put people on hands and ranges already makes you better than 90% of NL25ers. The whole game is about putting people on a range and figuring out the best move from there. Just keep practicing by paying attention to your table and trying to put people on hands even when you arent involved yourself.

Exactly right on every street. This is exactly how I feel about each point of how this hand was played, and this is some good analysis of how you played the hand and what you should have been thinking at each stage. Good job Nachos.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

cricket eater joe posted:

Exactly right on every street. This is exactly how I feel about each point of how this hand was played, and this is some good analysis of how you played the hand and what you should have been thinking at each stage. Good job Nachos.

um, I don't know who the gently caress you are but unless you're durrr or genius28 in disguise and you're about to reveal yourself to us you don't need to tell one of the certifiably best NL cash game goons that his analysis was good.

btw this thread sucks so im gonna start posting in it. you fuckers better post some good hands for me to analyze

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

EC10 posted:

btw this thread sucks so im gonna start posting in it. you fuckers better post some good hands for me to analyze

I flopped a set and got raised on like a board with an ace or something. What do I do?

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
100nl, 100BB stacks. I'm fairly new to the table. I've played about one hand in the 2 rotations I've been here. No reads.

Folded to Villain in MP, he raises to $4.50. One caller. I call with JJ on cutoff. Blinds fold.

*I could have just raised here and made everything easier, and I often do. Looking back the flat call is better when I've been playing with the guy a while rather than doing it so early in a session, so preflop was dumb. But assuming I do play it this way, what should I do postflop?*

Pot: $15 Flop: 9d 2h 4d

Checked to me. I bet $10. Villain check-raises to $20. Other guy folds, I call.

Turn: Qs
check, check

Pot: $55 River: 7h

Villain quickly bets $56.

That flop min-checkraise kind of screwed me up. I wasn't sure if it meant big hand or draw, then his check on the turn made me think he might be on a draw, though he could also have been thinking I might have hit the Q and he could get another checkraise. The large river bet makes me think he might be trying to get me out of there, which would match with a busted flush draw. If he's hit a single Q, or had a big hand like a set on the flop, seems like a smaller bet would be better as I haven't shown much strength.

There's not many hands I beat, ATdd, AJdd, AKdd, A9, TT, maybe some worse Axdd hands, though there's also not a whole lot that seem reasonable I'm losing to, sets, AQ, KQ, AA, KK.

reethaxor
Apr 26, 2002

Where's that fucking marble?
http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcfExcTFxcDAxsTExcfBxYjFws3ExM0%3d

I'm 'so sick' and I have QJ. My image is LAGtard, 'buggy' just sat down an orbit ago.

Do I have value on the river? Do I call his river check raise?

reethaxor fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 29, 2007

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

reethaxor posted:

http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcfExcTFxcDAxsTExcfBxYjFws3ExM0%3d

I'm 'so sick' and I have QJ. My image is LAGtard, 'buggy' just sat down an orbit ago.

Do I have value on the river? Do I call his river check raise?

if he c/c all the way down to the river with a minibet on the turn, that should indicate some strength right there. then with a c/r on the river, well, he's gotta feel pretty confident in his hand.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Why aren't you reraising the turn? As is I can't fold but I would have gotten the money in earlier.

artard
Sep 11, 2001

EC10 posted:

you fuckers better post some good hands for me to analyze

one time I raised aces preflop and the flop had a king what do I do?!?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly!
Feb 15, 2007

pAPYruS mEMBeR

artard posted:

one time I raised aces preflop and the flop had a king what do I do?!?!?!

open fold, and show cards. smirk widely. :c00l:

• Locked thread