Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
So, apparently when fidgeting with the router 2 nights ago, i caused my 50 ft ethernet cord that's snaked all around the walls to balloon out from the wall. Needless to say, Annie found it, and chewed on it, and when I finished my movie last night "Local Area Network connection 2: A cable has been unplugged". Chewed in half... I may be able to save it, but thankfully I had a spare that I rewired in today. With of course a fix so that it cant get away from it's protection anymore. But christ, that's a good 50$ cord.... Bunnies sure know how to pick em...

In other news, they're adorable:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

In my spare time I hypnotize bunnies.

NMR posted:

He's really not eating anything even though I'm practically shoving his favourite snacks down his throat. It's like he's disgusted by them.

How is his temperature? Do you check his ears daily? They should feel the same temperature as your armpit.

How is his poop? Is it smaller than usual? Is he drinking water? If not, put a tablespoon or so of apple juice in there too (if he likes apple).

Sidenote to everyone: I cannot stress how important it is to check your bunnies ears every day and their litter box. Bunnies do not usually show signs of illness until it's nearly too late. I saved my bunny from what could of been a life-threatening bout of stasis because I noticed things like this.

*If your bunny had been sleeping, his/her ears will feel cooler.

I'm not saying that you didn't do anything of these things NMR, sometimes, no matter how cautious you are, you just can't predict things like this. I'm so sorry.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Deceptor101 posted:

Mmm bunnies love cord spaghetti.

Lucy somehow got under my bed one day and chewed through my cell phone cord. Then last week pulled the printer cable (thankfully the $10 USB cable) from behind the barrier under my desk and chewed it.

I don't understand the fascination with cords!

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

girlscoutdropout posted:

I'm not saying that you didn't do anything of these things NMR, sometimes, no matter how cautious you are, you just can't predict things like this. I'm so sorry.

Well, I did check all of these things, but the thing is that I don't think this would have happened if I hadn't taken him to the vet. Basically since he got those antibiotics he's been getting worse and he didn't have gastrointestinal problems before. So uh I feel guilty either way. :( My fault for assuming the vet would know enough about rabbits to give an adequate treatment, but he was so good with my roommates' pet rat.

His ears are cold, he's got diarrhoea, he's not eaten a thing since yesterday and can barely drink a few sips of water. Looks like I'm taking this afternoon off from work to take him to a different vet.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

NMR posted:

Well, I did check all of these things, but the thing is that I don't think this would have happened if I hadn't taken him to the vet. Basically since he got those antibiotics he's been getting worse and he didn't have gastrointestinal problems before. So uh I feel guilty either way. :( My fault for assuming the vet would know enough about rabbits to give an adequate treatment, but he was so good with my roommates' pet rat.

His ears are cold, he's got diarrhoea, he's not eaten a thing since yesterday and can barely drink a few sips of water. Looks like I'm taking this afternoon off from work to take him to a different vet.

Keep him very warm, put a heater in the room (just make sure it doesn't get too too hot). There are many medications that bunnies aren't suppose to have. Alot of vets say they can treat rabbits when they really don't know anything about it.

This has nothing to do with bunnies specifically, but I was recommended this vet and I took my solid black bunny with solid black nails to get them clipped. She clipped them completely off...like barely a 1/8 inch left. She screamed. I histerically cried.

I'm tearing up thinking about it. (I know I've told this story before).

Just saying you can't always trust even word of mouth about vets.

I'll keep your little one in my prayers! Keep us updated.

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

your reviews aren't that good

girlscoutdropout posted:

I've heard bunnies can live on hay and veggies alone, but it's always good to be on the safe side and have pellets to snack on.

My rabbits are on a hay and veggie diet (no pellets at all) and are thriving, though it takes more work on my part to make sure they're getting what they need nutritionally.

edit: NMR: Rabbits are considered exotic animals where vets are concerned so make sure you're taking your bun to an exotics vet. Cornstarch baths may be helpful if his rump is messy from the runs, you can find instructions at this site. Also, I've found that one way to encourage a rabbit to eat is to gently bump the nose with greens, but if you're still having trouble you may want to consider using a syringe (like the type you would use to feed baby animals) to feed soft food like strained carrots (baby food) just to make sure he's getting something in his stomach. I hope he feels better soon.

candeh fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 29, 2007

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Thanks for the tips guys and WHEW finally he's eating something again. Obviously I'm still taking him to a vet soon but this at least is kind of a relief. And I found a clinic with several vets with different specialities one of which being rabbits.

Since he got sick he's taken to sitting in his toilet and trying to eat his own poo poo so I took a few pellets and broke them down into dropping size and dropped those in there. I was afraid I was going to have to force feed him since holding veggies up to his nose just made him avert his head and when I put a little bowl with some apple juice in front of him he pushed it aside.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

NMR posted:

Since he got sick he's taken to sitting in his toilet and trying to eat his own poo poo

He's may need to have a probiotic supplement (Benebac) to help counteract the effect that the antibiotics are having on his gut flora. Eating the poops of a healthy rabbit are another good way to get this, so don't stop him from eating the poo poo. Throw a couple poos in there from his friend, too. This is a species where that can be a good thing. :metis:

You need to find a vet who will sell and explain syringe feeding formula (Oxbow's Critical Care). Syringe feeding is a MUST when a rabbit will not eat. You may also need to learn to do subcu fluids to make sure the gut is adequately hydrated.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

alucinor posted:

He's may need to have a probiotic supplement

I keep mine on a supplement Prozyme constantly ever since I almost lost Lucy. My boy Jack had bad diarrhea when he was taken from his previous home, another reason I keep them both on it.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I just got a 3 month old English Angora from a breeder (I know I know, but we were at a fiber art craft fair and the breeder said she had to sell some off *that day* or they were going in the stewpot when she got home due to lack of hutch space and I couldn't let the adorable little guy become stew) and gave him a couple leaves off my basil plant as a snack. He LOVES it. Are there any nutritional gotchas with basil? Like there's that one type of hay that has loads of calcium to watch out for.

The breeder told me that his normal diet consists of 17-18% protein pellets with black oil sunflower seeds mixed in for added fiber (to help prevent wool-block) (about 1/4 cup of this mixture per day) with unlimited hay, and fruits and vegetables 2-4 times a week. This seems to mostly jive with rabbit.org, so I guess my main query is about the basil.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

PopeCrunch posted:

The breeder told me that his normal diet consists of 17-18% protein pellets with black oil sunflower seeds mixed in for added fiber (to help prevent wool-block) (about 1/4 cup of this mixture per day) with unlimited hay, and fruits and vegetables 2-4 times a week. This seems to mostly jive with rabbit.org, so I guess my main query is about the basil.

:bang:

That breeder is an idiot.

1. No sunflower seeds, they contain FAT and NOT fiber. This was an outright lie.
2. That protein ratio is way too high for a rabbit. The breeder fed high protein in order to make the wool more manageable, but it's detrimental to the long-term health of the animal. I'd go down to about 14% protein at most, something like Oxbow's Bunny Basic T.
3. Unlimited hay YES YES YES. At this age, the rabbit should be eating a mix of alfalfa and timothy (they need the calcium for growing bones). At 1 year of age, she needs to be on 100% timothy.
4. 2-4 times per week is too little for veggies. I would feed at least a small amount of veggie every day. Ideally, you want the diet to be about 80% hay (for fiber), 15% veggies (for nutrients) and 5% pellets (to make up whatever nutrients are missing from the veggies). You can certainly feed a pellet-free diet, many of us have started to do that after years of experimentation. It seems to result in a lower incidence of bladder sludge and stasis, at least in my personal experience.
5. Basil is fine, but variety is key. Look here for the veggie list and look at the ones with (!) which should be fed in moderation.

My brain hurts that this breeder is spreading this kind of misinformation.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

alucinor posted:

1. No sunflower seeds, they contain FAT and NOT fiber. This was an outright lie.
2. That protein ratio is way too high for a rabbit. The breeder fed high protein in order to make the wool more manageable, but it's detrimental to the long-term health of the animal. I'd go down to about 14% protein at most, something like Oxbow's Bunny Basic T.
3. Unlimited hay YES YES YES. At this age, the rabbit should be eating a mix of alfalfa and timothy (they need the calcium for growing bones). At 1 year of age, she needs to be on 100% timothy.
4. 2-4 times per week is too little for veggies. I would feed at least a small amount of veggie every day. Ideally, you want the diet to be about 80% hay (for fiber), 15% veggies (for nutrients) and 5% pellets (to make up whatever nutrients are missing from the veggies). You can certainly feed a pellet-free diet, many of us have started to do that after years of experimentation. It seems to result in a lower incidence of bladder sludge and stasis, at least in my personal experience.
5. Basil is fine, but variety is key. Look here for the veggie list and look at the ones with (!) which should be fed in moderation.

Huh. I would have thought the husk of the sunflower seed would have plenty of fiber but hey. I'll finish the baggie of food she gave me (MAYBE another few days' worth, not much) and switch to a different one. How about fruits? I've been pondering 3-4 times a week for fruit simply because I worry the higher sugar content would be too carb-heavy and the higher amounts of soluble fiber could cause runnier, messier droppings.

Oh also: The article you pointed me to says (if I'm reading it right) that the main worry of high-protein food is that some of it may come from animal sources which bunnies are not really equipped to digest properly and that's where the health problems come from. If I can find a plant source of higher-protein food, will that still have the problems? Manageable wool is a plus so if I can find a way to achieve that without causing adverse effects that would be peachy.

PopeCrunch fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 29, 2007

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

alucinor posted:

He's may need to have a probiotic supplement (Benebac) to help counteract the effect that the antibiotics are having on his gut flora. Eating the poops of a healthy rabbit are another good way to get this, so don't stop him from eating the poo poo. Throw a couple poos in there from his friend, too. This is a species where that can be a good thing. :metis:

You need to find a vet who will sell and explain syringe feeding formula (Oxbow's Critical Care). Syringe feeding is a MUST when a rabbit will not eat. You may also need to learn to do subcu fluids to make sure the gut is adequately hydrated.

This is what I did. I'm traumatizing the poor thing but he seems so much better now. It is a big relief. And apparently I was right about the antibiotics. It's so great to find a vet who actually knows anything about rabbits.

We're not out of the woods yet but I'm relieved :woop:

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

alucinor posted:

My brain hurts too alucinor.

Everything alucinor says is true. Only thing I differ from is I feed 3-4 cups of veggies daily to each of mine (the majority being a veggie that is okay to feed in such large amounts. i.e. parsley, red leaf and romaine lettuce). Granted, this may be different for younger bunnies, mine were both over a year old when I got them.

I only give my buns 1/3 cup of pellets a day, they are both 9 lb rabbits. The best pellets are Oxbow Basic T and KayTee Timothy Complete.

PopeCrunch posted:

Huh. I would have thought the husk of the sunflower seed would have plenty of fiber but hey. I'll finish the baggie of food she gave me (MAYBE another few days' worth, not much) and switch to a different one. How about fruits? I've been pondering 3-4 times a week for fruit simply because I worry the higher sugar content would be too carb-heavy and the higher amounts of soluble fiber could cause runnier, messier droppings.

Oh also: The article you pointed me to says (if I'm reading it right) that the main worry of high-protein food is that some of it may come from animal sources which bunnies are not really equipped to digest properly and that's where the health problems come from. If I can find a plant source of higher-protein food, will that still have the problems? Manageable wool is a plus so if I can find a way to achieve that without causing adverse effects that would be peachy.

You should wean her onto a new pellet since you still have some of the old food left.

Fruits should only be given as a treat. No more than 1 tbsp a day. If you notice any softer poop, back off on the fruits.

If I had an angora, I'd personally shave it (and I think they look adorable with the long foot, face, and ear fur). Managable fur is nice, but a better diet is more important.

girlscoutdropout fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 30, 2007

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

NMR posted:

This is what I did. I'm traumatizing the poor thing but he seems so much better now. It is a big relief. And apparently I was right about the antibiotics. It's so great to find a vet who actually knows anything about rabbits.

We're not out of the woods yet but I'm relieved :woop:

Also, I highly suggest mixing some Pedialyte in with the water. Since he isn't eating as many veggies as normal, he probably is getting dehydrated.

I've heard the orange flavor is a big hit with the buns, I just ended up getting the unflavored and making pellet soup since mine are such big fans of pellets.

I'm glad you found a knowledgable vet!

Edit: I just remember I've been told since I last bought Pedilyte to get the popscicles instead. If you buy the juice, you have to use it all within 24 hours. If you get the popscicles you can just melt one at a time.

girlscoutdropout fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 30, 2007

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

PopeCrunch posted:

Huh. I would have thought the husk of the sunflower seed would have plenty of fiber but hey.

Rabbits require long-stem fiber, such as that found in grasses, rather than short stem fiber, found in most every other part of a plant. This is also why hay cubes and pellets containing timothy are not acceptable substitutes for long cut hay.

Your concern about fruit is right on the money. I feed almost no fruit - less than one serving per month. An exception is craisins (raisined cranberries) which I offer 1-2, about once a week, as a treat.

PopeCrunch posted:

Oh also: The article you pointed me to says (if I'm reading it right) that the main worry of high-protein food is that some of it may come from animal sources which bunnies are not really equipped to digest properly and that's where the health problems come from. If I can find a plant source of higher-protein food, will that still have the problems?

Yes, it still causes problems. Too much protein puts a strain on the kidneys, and the urinary tract is already the Achilles' heel of the rabbit. A "normal" pellet allotment should be fine to provide all necessary protein for a long haired breed, unless she's losing weight. In that case a small portion of alfalfa hay provides more than adequate protein.

Extra protein only helps wool be "manageable" in the sense that it makes it longer and thicker - perfect for the person who spins it into textiles. Not perfect for someone who wants an easy to maintain coat with less chance of hairballs! ;)

The exception is a diabetic rabbit - they do need extra protein, again best served by alfalfa hay. But for a healthy rabbit, already prone to bladder and kidney problems - it's just not worth the risk.

girlscoutdropout posted:

Only thing I differ from is I feed 3-4 cups of veggies daily to each of mine (the majority being a veggie that is okay to feed in such large amounts. i.e. parsley, red leaf and romaine lettuce).

There is a difference in opinion about the ideal veggie portion. Many people feel that too many veggies leads to loose stool, and that if the general public doesn't know how to balance oxalate and calcium ratios in their veggies, they're doing more harm than good. But personally, I'm with you - I feed many more veggies and very few pellets. But I stick with the HRS party line for educational purposes. ;)

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

alucinor posted:

There is a difference in opinion about the ideal veggie portion. Many people feel that too many veggies leads to loose stool, and that if the general public doesn't know how to balance oxalate and calcium ratios in their veggies, they're doing more harm than good. But personally, I'm with you - I feed many more veggies and very few pellets. But I stick with the HRS party line for educational purposes. ;)

My babies are so prone to stasis that I try to keep the full of as many dark green veggies as they want.

Foranzan
Sep 22, 2006

I'm a public embarrassment, I'm a bottle of diet poison
I own two rabbits that I adopted from the local Humane Society.

My question is about shedding.

Most bunny guides that I've seen say that most rabbits shed every 2-5 months, depending on the rabbit (Most say about 3 months), however, one of my girls (I own two females) seems to shed constantly.

I keep a fairly normal diet (timothy hay constantly, greens and carrot treats, usually keep their hay pellets full as well, there are dried fruits/vegetables in those as well).

Tonight I clipped the nails of the one who sheds a lot, and it was everywhere by the time I finished (she didn't struggle too much so it really wasn't that that was causing it)

I brush them occasionally, but I try not to be too touchy feely with them since they've made it perfectly clear they do NOT liked to be touched/held (which kinda makes me sad :( )

They are not spayed and about 1 1/2 years old.

The only things I could think of is getting them spayed or a change in their diet...but I really don't know what to do.

Foranzan fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 30, 2007

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

girlscoutdropout posted:

Also, I highly suggest mixing some Pedialyte in with the water. Since he isn't eating as many veggies as normal, he probably is getting dehydrated.

I've heard the orange flavor is a big hit with the buns, I just ended up getting the unflavored and making pellet soup since mine are such big fans of pellets.

I'm glad you found a knowledgable vet!

Edit: I just remember I've been told since I last bought Pedilyte to get the popscicles instead. If you buy the juice, you have to use it all within 24 hours. If you get the popscicles you can just melt one at a time.

Well, right now he's on some special formula that the vet gave me with a pill crushed into it (aeropax- I think I can guess what that does) so for the next few days I think he's all set for medication. And he's not drinking either so it wouldn't really work anyway.

He looks so funny when we're done with him, covered in green stains, resembling an extremely grumpy wet dishrag. :xd:

Foranzan posted:

I brush them occasionally, but I try not to be too touchy feely with them since they've made it perfectly clear they do NOT liked to be touched/held (which kinda makes me sad :( )

Mine always hated being picked up so much I tend to avoid it too. He'll jump into my lap occasionally when he thinks I have food but the only time I actually need him to go anywhere is when I shoo him into his cage. It's supposed to be pretty natural for rabbits not to want to be picked up but I don't think you should give up on trying to pet them. They're skittish at first but I'm pretty sure that doesn't last too long.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

alucinor posted:

Rabbits require long-stem fiber, such as that found in grasses, rather than short stem fiber, found in most every other part of a plant. This is also why hay cubes and pellets containing timothy are not acceptable substitutes for long cut hay.

Your concern about fruit is right on the money. I feed almost no fruit - less than one serving per month. An exception is craisins (raisined cranberries) which I offer 1-2, about once a week, as a treat.

Yes, it still causes problems. Too much protein puts a strain on the kidneys, and the urinary tract is already the Achilles' heel of the rabbit. A "normal" pellet allotment should be fine to provide all necessary protein for a long haired breed, unless she's losing weight. In that case a small portion of alfalfa hay provides more than adequate protein.

Extra protein only helps wool be "manageable" in the sense that it makes it longer and thicker - perfect for the person who spins it into textiles. Not perfect for someone who wants an easy to maintain coat with less chance of hairballs! ;)

The exception is a diabetic rabbit - they do need extra protein, again best served by alfalfa hay. But for a healthy rabbit, already prone to bladder and kidney problems - it's just not worth the risk.

There's a HRC-approved vet near here, I'll give them a jingle and talk about fine-tuning protein intake. Spinning the wool into textiles is one of the reasons we got him, so. Basically I'm going to try to find (with the vet's help, of course) the 'sweet spot' of maximum wool benefit with zero health impact. It's a bit like an engineering problem, but slightly hairier and more prone to peeing on me.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

PopeCrunch posted:

There's a HRC-approved vet near here, I'll give them a jingle and talk about fine-tuning protein intake. Spinning the wool into textiles is one of the reasons we got him, so. Basically I'm going to try to find (with the vet's help, of course) the 'sweet spot' of maximum wool benefit with zero health impact. It's a bit like an engineering problem, but slightly hairier and more prone to peeing on me.

With the vet helping, this can work. You'll probably want to do regular blood tests so you have an easy way to spot changes in kidney function.

Also, keep in mind that wool producing rabbits are only "useful" for a certain amount of time (which is why breeders dump them after a few years). As he gets older, the quality of his fur will decrease and no attempts to remedy it through diet will help. At that point it's best to keep him shaved and let him be retired from the production line.

Good luck!

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Didn't think this needed it's own thread so I'm posting in this one:

I've been seeing the same two rabbits in my yard all year, watched them grow from the size of hamsters to almost full grown, I love the little guys and they don't seem to mind me when I'm down in the gardens, often eating in my general proximity. They are wild and I realize what that entails, that said ...

Today I was doing some wooden kayak repairs in the lower gardens and heard an ungodly scream followed by thrashing in the brush. I could make out the neighbor's cat fighting with something and immediatly went to chase it off (I love the cat but I try to intervene when at all possible if he's trying to kill any of the birds). Once I got closer I could tell it wasn't a bird but one of the two rabbits I'm so fond of, so after chasing off the cat I approached the rabbit. It was obviously in shock and I did what i could to see where it was hurt, looked like it had a small puncture wound in it's hind leg and another on it's front leg on the same side (his left). I called the local vet and they told me they didn't deal with rabbits and the wildlife number they gave me won't respond for two days due to a backlog of calls (great...)

I did the only thing I could, I got a pair of gardening gloves, picked him up and brought him to where I believe their warren may be, a small tangle the two most often bolt into, and left him with a small dish of water and a baby carrot. Where he was when the cat dropped him, under the shed, is also where I most often see a fox so I didn't feel safe leaving him there, thus I picked him up, yeah I realize this may have been even worse for a wild animal but I wasn't going to leave him in such a seemingly dangerous place. He seemed like he had movement in all his limbs and could move, but he also didn't go very far when he had the chance, and he wasn't bleeding profusely as only a little trace of blood ended on my arms and shirt from when I moved him. So.....

All you rabbit owners/lovers have you ever had one of your pets attacked by a cat and what was the result, more wondering if anyone has seen an attack with the same symptoms (ie apparent shock, movement in all limbs yet not running far away, very small amount of blood) and what was the result? I'm hoping to see my little buddies together again in the upcoming days but realize that one of them may already be dead, really just hoping to hear some rabbit people's opinion on survivability of similar type woundings/attacks. Thanks in advance and I appologize if this is the wrong kind of question for this thread.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Luvcow posted:

I did the only thing I could, I got a pair of gardening gloves, picked him up and brought him to where I believe their warren may be, a small tangle the two most often bolt into, and left him with a small dish of water and a baby carrot.

Smart thinking. Consuming the carrot should restore his health, and if he does die, you left him near a respawn point so he could find his corpse. :rolleyes:

Do you think that you could of, at the very least, took it under your observation for the night?

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

R-Type posted:

Smart thinking. Consuming the carrot should restore his health, and if he does die, you left him near a respawn point so he could find his corpse. :rolleyes:

Do you think that you could of, at the very least, took it under your observation for the night?

I could have but I would feel awful if it died indoors, it being wild and all. If it seemed to have broken limbs I would have taken it in and tried other vets to find one that handles rabbits, as is it seemed to me to be a situation were I needed to interfere the least amount possible.

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001
I've been feeding Sev Crasins for snacks when he deserves them. But he REALLY likes wheat thins. He got one on the floor the other day and now tries to get them at all cost! It's very cute, but are they OK for him to have on a very limited basis? What about other things for snacks? I feed Sev LOTS of veggies since I have this veggie grow center thing in my house and that gives me a good supply. But I'm not sure what I can and can't give him for a treat.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Luvcow posted:

I could have but I would feel awful if it died indoors, it being wild and all. If it seemed to have broken limbs I would have taken it in and tried other vets to find one that handles rabbits, as is it seemed to me to be a situation were I needed to interfere the least amount possible.

The reaction you describe is a common shock reaction. Without having a wildlife rehabber on call, you did the right thing. In all probability the stress of being confined and handled by someone inexperienced would have shocked him over the edge.

You might want to track down a rehabber now, and keep the phone number handy, just in case there is a next time.

Chiken n' Waffles posted:

are they OK for him to have on a very limited basis?

Like one a year? Maybe. But processed grain products are pretty bad for them and I wouldn't give them more often than that. I fed Jeannie a cheerio once. She thought it was the loving second coming. Hasn't had any since because a) I don't know if that'll be the thing that pushes her GI system into stasis, and b) I hate being attacked every time she hears cereal being poured.

Veggies themselves are the best treats, especially fresh fragrant herbs: dill, cilantro, basil, parsley. I have NEVER had a rabbit refuse dill, no matter how stuffed with romaine and green pepper they already were. :keke:

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

alucinor posted:

The reaction you describe is a common shock reaction. Without having a wildlife rehabber on call, you did the right thing. In all probability the stress of being confined and handled by someone inexperienced would have shocked him over the edge.

You might want to track down a rehabber now, and keep the phone number handy, just in case there is a next time.

Like one a year? Maybe. But processed grain products are pretty bad for them and I wouldn't give them more often than that. I fed Jeannie a cheerio once. She thought it was the loving second coming. Hasn't had any since because a) I don't know if that'll be the thing that pushes her GI system into stasis, and b) I hate being attacked every time she hears cereal being poured.

Veggies themselves are the best treats, especially fresh fragrant herbs: dill, cilantro, basil, parsley. I have NEVER had a rabbit refuse dill, no matter how stuffed with romaine and green pepper they already were. :keke:

I have nothing to add except that Sherbet goes absolutely goddamn bonkers when he hears the front door open because that usually means he's about to get some basil. (The basil plant is on my front porch)

Kur0
Dec 13, 2002

You know, I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothin', but I think Depeche Mode is a sweet band.
I've been considering a house rabbit for almost a year now and in the last few months, I've been doing my research, read rabbit.org from start to finish, read this thread from start to finish, picked up a few books, and visited a rabbit rescue about 45 minutes away. I am now probably going to be the adopted bun mom of these two cuties:

Their names are Suzie and Tofu, (I'm gonna change Suzie's name...) and we met them last weekend. The older one is Suzie, and they believe Tofu is her son. They were rescued from a feed store that had them in a pen with chickens. :mad: Suzie is just as sweet as can be, and extremely curious. I learned how to trance a rabbit with her. :3: Tofu, on the other hand, really needs some socialization and patience. He's quite skittish and high strung, but, the rescuer said that he would mellow out after he was neutered (which is being done this week, yay!) and has social time with people.

I'm just waiting to hear back once Tofu has had his surgery. Everything else is ready to go! I'm really excited about it. :neckbeard:

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Kur0 posted:

I LOVE RESPONSIBLE PEOPLE! Haha! It sounds like you have done everything right! I'm so excited for you! Those are adorable little babies. Is the female spayed yet? If not, you still will want to do that, even though the male is neutered. An unspayed female is a train ride to cancer.

I can't wait for more updates and pictures!

Kur0
Dec 13, 2002

You know, I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothin', but I think Depeche Mode is a sweet band.
Ah, yeah, forgot to mention, Suzie has been spayed for quite some time now, and they're both very litterbox trained too! I will update with more pics once they've come home with me. :)

Solar Jetman
Dec 13, 2004

monsters get slain

Kur0 posted:

I cannot even believe how cute these two are. Congrats.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Kur0 posted:

litterbox trained too!

This is wonderful! Don't get discouraged if the first week or two, they seem to completely forget what a litterbox is. Sometimes in a new place they will do tons of territorial pooping. After they get used to it though, that shouldn't be an issue. It may never be an issue in the first place.

I just know when I brought Lucy home I thought the rescue lady lied to me when she said she was litter trained haha.

Kur0
Dec 13, 2002

girlscoutdropout posted:

This is wonderful! Don't get discouraged if the first week or two, they seem to completely forget what a litterbox is. Sometimes in a new place they will do tons of territorial pooping. After they get used to it though, that shouldn't be an issue. It may never be an issue in the first place.

I just know when I brought Lucy home I thought the rescue lady lied to me when she said she was litter trained haha.
Oh, I'm fully expecting them to treat their new place like it's one big litter box. I figured that would happen the first few weeks I had them. If not, then yay, but it's no big deal to me if it does happen.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
More poo poo developments in my moving back home.

My stepdad apparently won't be out of the house as soon as the plan went, hence the rabbits won't be able to have an outdoor play area for perhaps as long as a year. :( Which means that Momo and Cowslip, used to having the entire living room to call their own, will be stuck largely in their cages (or cage?) since they can't be trusted on the carpet. I'm worried that this won't be fair to them; they are used to running around all the time, and I won't be able to build an enormous cage (should they each have their own?) anywhere near the size of their current territory. I'm also worried that in smaller grounds, they may fight.

What to do?

Moraine Sedai
Jan 17, 2006

Nap time yet?

TheDeadKnow posted:

More poo poo developments in my moving back home.

My stepdad apparently won't be out of the house as soon as the plan went, hence the rabbits won't be able to have an outdoor play area for perhaps as long as a year. :( Which means that Momo and Cowslip, used to having the entire living room to call their own, will be stuck largely in their cages (or cage?) since they can't be trusted on the carpet. I'm worried that this won't be fair to them; they are used to running around all the time, and I won't be able to build an enormous cage (should they each have their own?) anywhere near the size of their current territory. I'm also worried that in smaller grounds, they may fight.

What to do?

Can you build upwards as opposed to out?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I can, but was planning on a two story cage anyway, since Mo has taken to perching on my couch.

Is it really unfair of me to cage them up soon, when they are used to free run? I don't want to find another home for them, but if that would be best...

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Foranzan posted:

Most bunny guides that I've seen say that most rabbits shed every 2-5 months, depending on the rabbit (Most say about 3 months), however, one of my girls (I own two females) seems to shed constantly.

The Furminator is your friend. Seriously. I bought it for my cats but use it a lot on Murphy as he sheds like it's going out of style. He really hates it, and being held in general, but it needs to be done to prevent blockage and to keep his fluffy stray furs from going up my nose. I usually hold him on my lap laying him on his back/side, left hand grasping his upper body right under the front armpits. Then I do stealth ninja-brushing with the Furminator until it looks like a rabbit exploded all over myself and the sofa. I do these swift brushings every few days during a bad shed and treat him to banana chips for the trauma.

I remember asking a breeder once what her secret to brushing rabbits was and she replied "Secret? There is no secret method. Some bunnies tolerate it, others will want to kill you. Pray for the first."

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
So I finally got tired of that barnyard look in the bun's cage and I decided to build a hay feeder! I first got the idea from Save-a-Bunny when I was adopting Ben and I noticed how clean all their cages were, and I'm doing major bunny cleaning this weekend, so I figured it was a good time. (I have been smelling major bunny pee, but I couldn't figure out where, turns out Ben has been peeing over the rim of the litter box,(the litter box walls are now a foot high :) )) Here's the end result, I'm quite happy with it!(I put parsley in there to celebrate):

For a rough explanation with lots of pictures on how I built it, head on over to my site: http://playingwithmadness.com/blog/?p=171

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Deceptor101 posted:

For a rough explanation with lots of pictures on how I built it, head on over to my site: http://playingwithmadness.com/blog/?p=171

Very nice, but I'm anxious about all the little ends. How close did you trim them? If you run your hand over the cut ends, is it at all sharp? Buns get mouth abscesses fairly easily; if a lip or cheek is cut you might end up with a horrible situation.

You might want to get a length of 1/2" pvc (or similar) pipe, slice it down the middle, then cut it to size so you can slide it over all four sides of the opening, as a barrier against the little sharp ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dandy lion
Sep 22, 2004

blow
Thanks for a very informative thread on buns! After reading everything, I know I'm definitely waiting a good while before I add any to my home.

I have a "what should I do" question for you guys. My neighbor has a single pet rabbit in a very small wire-bottomed cage (size is probably 1x2 buns, nose to tail in a sitting position) and is one-story. There is no solid place to sit in the cage. No carpet scrap or anything. I never see hay or veggies/fruits in the cage. I never see the bunny out to play. (I walk by the bunny almost daily. The cage is right by a window I can see in.)

What would you do about this? I don't know these neighbors. I've never talked to them. I don't want to come off as a bitch, but I feel so sad for their bunny. I want to leave them a print-out of this thread or something... They have to know they are giving their bunny a very miserable life.