Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HKS
Jan 31, 2005

no hand history I played this at my friend's house.

cake 2/4 300bb deep, villain has me covered.

I hold TKs in BB.

Folds around to villain on the button who opens light in that position. He raised to $14. SB folds I call.

flop: TTAr ($30)

I lead out for $23, BTN raise to $75, I ?

whats a good line for this spot and rest of the hand? I think im either way ahead or way behind. I don't Like 3bet and lead turn, and calling his bet seems kind of strong. I believe if I call I can try to CR turn, but most likely he's checking all worse hands behind and betting ones that beat me...

HKS fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 2, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

I think you should call flop and call him down to showdown. If he checks behind turn make an almost pot sized bet on the river. The board is so dry that if you 3bet flop or c/r turn you just blast out hands like AK/AQ and hang yourself when he has AA or AT. If there was like a flush draw on the board or something you could play the hand a little stronger, but here you have to convince yourself you have an ace that wants to see showdown without stacking off.

If you were only 200bb deep I'd try to get it in, but getting 300bb on this board is pretty bad unless he's a maniac. If you think he'd ram and jam with T8 or some poo poo then get it in, but if he has any handreading ability at all try to keep the pot relatively small.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

That's basically what my plan was, I botched it a bit because at first I wanted to bet/3bet but after I lead out I realized we were really deep. I should have taken that into account first, because I think b/3b would be better with 100bb stacks.

so I called his raise to $75.

turn: 6 ($180)

I check, Villain bets $120, I stall a bit and call

Riv: A ($420) (noooooooooooooooo)

Do you guys check fold or bet fold here?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Look at how 2 lines play out:

b/3bet: Assume the flop betting is something like 23 > 75 > 3bet to 185 or so. Pot is ~400 on the turn. Lead for like 250, he calls. Keep in mind if he gets this far he always has a ten in his hand. Pot is 900 on the river and if you start with a 300bb stack you have about 750 left. This is a sick spot because you are shoving almost 200bb on the river and are basically bound to doing so because the pot is so large. Check/folding is just so sick and ridiculous because of the way you got here. Does he stack off here with JT, T9, QT?

c/r: Assume you check, he bets 25, you c/r to 75 and he calls. Pot is about 170, you lead turn for 130 and he calls. Now the pot is about 430 and you have like ~980 or so left in your stack, much better situation. Keep in mind I think AK/AQ still get this far because a c/r on a paired board has a good chance of being seen as a bluff and most aces wont fold there. I think you can probably bet like 275-300 on most rivers for value and fold to a shove from the majority of villians. This is of course assuming the turn and river are blanks.

As played, I definitely check/fold. There isn't a single hand he can have that would make bet/folding a good play after this action.

Dog on Fire
Oct 2, 2004

Hand #1307011435001238: Pebble Beach (6-Max) 11435
Seat 1: 1WILDDOG (67.85 in chips)
Seat 4: Muzhik99 (41.95 in chips)
Seat 6: Unicorn Fart (65.69 in chips)
Seat 8: shanks69 (32.65 in chips)
Seat 9: Radomir1975 (44.95 in chips)
Radomir1975: posts small blind $0.25
1WILDDOG: posts big blind $0.50
Dealt to Unicorn Fart [ A:d: T:c: ]
Muzhik99: folds
Unicorn Fart: raises to $2
shanks69: calls
Radomir1975: folds
1WILDDOG: folds
*** FLOP *** [ Q:d:, 4:s:, T:h: ]
Unicorn Fart: bets $3.15
shanks69: calls
*** TURN *** [ A:h: ]
Unicorn Fart: bets $6.50
shanks69: is all in (a quick raise to about 27)

Easy call or a transparent enough open-ender that just hit? I'm torn between "there aren't many hands that I would beat that he would play like this, apart from A4" and "this is Cake Poker, he is a shortstack, you'll usually see A8 or something".

Edit: for some reason my bet sizing was all weird in this hand too. I would have usually bet about 3.45 on this flop, but this time I didn't, I don't know why. I think the turn bet should also have been about 7.25, not a weak 6.5.

Dog on Fire fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 4, 2007

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
dog on fire: very easy call, don't make a habit of making big folds on cake.

re: the HKS hand

you should have a read on villain considering you both have 300 bb on the table. that would really help here. so my advice, while not good against TAG 2+2ers, is good for the average level of caketardation i would assume a 2/4 player on cake has given how terrible everyone is at 5/10, 10/20 etc.

imo if you're going to lead out on the flop, then you should either b3b or c/r the turn to build the pot and get value out of your huge hand. you said they open light in position, so we definitely should not start playing scared poker when we flop the 3rd nuts and our lead into the PFR gets raised (a lot of people will routinely auto-raise any lead into them when they are the PFR). i would either make the flop 215 or c/r his turn bet of 120 to 350. if you make it 215 on the flop, bet like 300 on the turn. if the river did indeed come an A after that (assuming he flats), c/f. as played, anything but c/f river (unless he bets really small) is terrible.

edit after reading nachos' post: if b3b'ing the flop or c/r'ing the turn would make the avg 2/4 player with no hand reading skills fold AK/AQ to you, then you really need to loosen up your game and start bluffing more.

another edit: when posting hands, you really should post your image and villains image and if you can what the villain thinks of you. if you haven't been at the table very long or whatever then just say "no reads" or "no history". obviously the advice given based on a hand is going to be COMPLETELY different if you have a very nitty image to villain as opposed to a LAG one.

EC10 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 4, 2007

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Dog on Fire posted:

Easy call or a transparent enough open-ender that just hit? I'm torn between "there aren't many hands that I would beat that he would play like this, apart from A4" and "this is Cake Poker, he is a shortstack, you'll usually see A8 or something".

Edit: for some reason my bet sizing was all weird in this hand too. I would have usually bet about 3.45 on this flop, but this time I didn't, I don't know why. I think the turn bet should also have been about 7.25, not a weak 6.5.
This is Cake poker, he is a shortstack, you'll usually see A8 or something.

Sometimes you're gonna sigh when he turns over KJ/AQ (and once in a while a set), but there's a ton of hands you beat that he might be doing this with as well. QT/Ax off the bat, but I wouldn't be too suprised (although I WOULD be delighted) to see a flush draw, or a weak Q defending weirdly, or QJ or who knows what else.

About bet sizing, keep in mind if your turn bet is smaller relative to the pot compared to your flop bet, people often will see that as uncertainty on your part. They're often the same people who decide then is a good time to push to "see where you're at".

Zachsta
Jun 13, 2007

by T. Fine

Bhaal posted:

The maniac bit is the only thing that made me bet the turn. If he had the flush he would have shoved, and I've seen him call the river with nothing. Then again his flop call puts him at a high chance of holding a spade, so maybe the bet was wrong?

Personally I check raise the turn, because you know he'd betting at it whether he has a spade or not, and most of the time he won't. Plus he's probably not so much of a maniac that he'll push in that situation without a spade, and you find out exactly where you are.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
What's the best way to handle a bet that is not as big as you want before you, but a raise of that bet may be too big for the pot? I was in that situation a few times last weekend, and I'm always torn on what to do.

OlSpazzy
Feb 10, 2004

LorneReams posted:

What's the best way to handle a bet that is not as big as you want before you, but a raise of that bet may be too big for the pot? I was in that situation a few times last weekend, and I'm always torn on what to do.

Situation dependent. Is this pre-flop? Flop? Turn? River? Is the villain a call-station? A nit? Will he bet/call the turn if you just call?

The question is too universal for what should be a very specific player-dependent situation. Sometimes the correct thing to do is go ahead and blast the gently caress out of the bettor, other times you should just call and let him lead again.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

OlSpazzy posted:

Situation dependent. Is this pre-flop? Flop? Turn? River? Is the villain a call-station? A nit? Will he bet/call the turn if you just call?

The question is too universal for what should be a very specific player-dependent situation. Sometimes the correct thing to do is go ahead and blast the gently caress out of the bettor, other times you should just call and let him lead again.

This is what I thought. I think I call too often and it's a leak.

Dog on Fire
Oct 2, 2004

Thanks, Bhaal and EC10, that's my thinking too. Besides, even if he did catch that exact straight, I'll still have 4 outs to beat the guy on the river. That + the bluff factor + I'm ahead of a shitmountain of hands.

What about this crappy turn though? He had just joined the table so no information about the guy.

Seat 1: ducksie (9.00 in chips)
Seat 2: opstunner13 (28.45 in chips)
Seat 5: eznutz (47.75 in chips)
Seat 6: DaIrish (50.15 in chips)
Seat 8: Unicorn Fart (75.55 in chips)
Seat 10: jnd50 (50.00 in chips)
Unicorn Fart: posts small blind $0.25
jnd50: posts big blind $0.50
Dealt to Unicorn Fart [ K:d: K:h: ]
ducksie: folds
opstunner13: folds
eznutz: folds
DaIrish: folds
Unicorn Fart: raises to $1.50
jnd50: calls (IIRC he thought about it really long)
*** FLOP *** [ 9:d:, 4:d:, 2:h: ]
Unicorn Fart: bets $1.80
jnd50: raises to $6
Unicorn Fart: calls
Unicorn Fart: bets $9
jnd50: is all in (for 42.50, after a few seconds of thinking)

---

Also, can you guys take a look at this hand? I'm on uh... I don't know if you can call it officially a downswing, maybe at this point you can, but it's definitely shadowing my thinking already. This hand ends my adventures in the nl50 land, because I've dropped 5 buy-ins on completely retarded hands and I'd like at least some proof that it's standard and I'm not completely braindead for having to back down from Cake nl50.

Hand #1309011401001012: Pebble Beach (6-Max) 11401
Seat 1: 2easy (12.90 in chips)
Seat 2: xtzfatso (51.55 in chips)
Seat 6: etudeOP (21.70 in chips)
Seat 8: Unicorn Fart (51.80 in chips)
Seat 9: lucky988 (95.77 in chips)
Seat 10: iBetYouFold (49.75 in chips)
xtzfatso: posts small blind $0.25
etudeOP: posts big blind $0.50
Dealt to Unicorn Fart [ 8:s: 8:d: ]
Unicorn Fart: raises to $2
lucky988: folds
iBetYouFold: calls
2easy: folds
xtzfatso: folds
etudeOP: calls
*** FLOP *** [ 6:s:, 8:h:, 9:c: ]
etudeOP: checks
Unicorn Fart: bets $4
iBetYouFold: calls
etudeOP: folds
*** TURN *** [ 4:d: ]
Unicorn Fart: bets $8
iBetYouFold: raises to $29
Unicorn Fart: is all in
iBetYouFold: is all in
Unicorn Fart: returns uncalled bet $2.05
*** RIVER *** [ Q:d: ]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
iBetYouFold wins $98.75 with Straight, Nine high

57s

Dog on Fire fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 6, 2007

TheLacqu
Mar 3, 2007
Hand #1309011978001371: Amsterdam (6-max) 11978
Seat 1: Riffer (1185.45 in chips)
Seat 4: SweetJustice (561.20 in chips)
Seat 5: JAYDH39 (334.10 in chips)
Seat 6: HERO (467.40 in chips)
Seat 9: MitaWicky (984.55 in chips)
Seat 10: WINDOWMAN (453.10 in chips)
JAYDH39: posts small blind $2
HERO: posts big blind $4
Dealt to HERO [ As 3h ]
MitaWicky: folds
WINDOWMAN: folds
Riffer: calls
SweetJustice: folds
JAYDH39: calls
HERO: checks
*** FLOP *** [ 2s, 7h, 4s ]
JAYDH39: checks
HERO: checks
Riffer: checks
*** TURN *** [ 5s ]
JAYDH39: checks
HERO: bets $8
Riffer: raises to $18
JAYDH39: folds
HERO: calls
*** RIVER *** [ 7s ]
HERO: ????

I had been playing at the table for the past hour, and it seemed competent and TAGish, if anything. Obviously, I was fond of the turn card, but I also realized that I was behind a made flush and higher straights, despite being in great shape vs. everything else. I probably should have bet pot (as opposed to 1/2 pot) on the turn, but even with the straight there, the raise made me think that playing for stacks might not be a great idea on the turn, and I might want to exercise a bit of pot control (or, perhaps I'm a horrible, paranoid nit?). The river was another excellent card for me, yet I still have the non-nuts, as possible hands he raised the turn with (set, 2 pair) have me beaten.

How do I maximize being paid off with worse hands here, and minimize the hits I take from better hands? How does my nut flush draw (~20% to hit on river, although the two spades that pair the board might be bad news) influence my turn decision? What's weird/interesting about the hand is that the hands that I was ahead of and would pay me off on the turn (set, some two pair) beat me on the river, and the hands that I was behind on the turn (higher straight, made flush) I now have beaten, albeit on a board that likely won't get me much action from them. Reverse polarizations are always fun!

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated here...

OlSpazzy
Feb 10, 2004

Dog on Fire posted:

lovely ace turn with KK

Set vs flopped 2nd nuts

My advice probably isn't worth much since I'm a NL20 player without much experience, but I'd fold that turn with KK a lot against an unknown. You're behind to way too many hands, A9, a set, the wheel, two pair, any ace. Unless he's an obvious bluffer/maniac, it's an easy fold for me.

The second hand is just a cooler and you shouldn't feel bad about getting it all in. I wouldn't even begin to consider folding that on Cake NL50 unless myself and villain were more than 300BB deep.

Edit: TheLacqu, that's a really interesting hand. I hope some of the ballas in here give words of wisdom as I'd really like to hear it, too.

OlSpazzy fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 6, 2007

Dog on Fire
Oct 2, 2004

OlSpazzy posted:

My advice probably isn't worth much since I'm a NL20 player without much experience, but I'd fold that turn with KK a lot against an unknown. You're behind to way too many hands, A9, a set, the wheel, two pair, any ace. Unless he's an obvious bluffer/maniac, it's an easy fold for me.

Yeah, and if we look at the situation from his point of view, we see that half of the deck is going to bring a 3-flush on the table and if I'm doing it as a semi-bluff, I'll still have the correct implied odds after my $9 bet, so it makes sense to get the money in with a hand worth protecting.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Dog on Fire posted:

Thanks, Bhaal and EC10, that's my thinking too. Besides, even if he did catch that exact straight, I'll still have 4 outs to beat the guy on the river. That + the bluff factor + I'm ahead of a shitmountain of hands.

What about this crappy turn though? He had just joined the table so no information about the guy.

Seat 1: ducksie (9.00 in chips)
Seat 2: opstunner13 (28.45 in chips)
Seat 5: eznutz (47.75 in chips)
Seat 6: DaIrish (50.15 in chips)
Seat 8: Unicorn Fart (75.55 in chips)
Seat 10: jnd50 (50.00 in chips)
Unicorn Fart: posts small blind $0.25
jnd50: posts big blind $0.50
Dealt to Unicorn Fart [ K:d: K:h: ]
ducksie: folds
opstunner13: folds
eznutz: folds
DaIrish: folds
Unicorn Fart: raises to $1.50
jnd50: calls (IIRC he thought about it really long)
*** FLOP *** [ 9:d:, 4:d:, 2:h: ]
Unicorn Fart: bets $1.80
jnd50: raises to $6
Unicorn Fart: calls
Unicorn Fart: bets $9
jnd50: is all in (for 42.50, after a few seconds of thinking)

1. on a $3 pot I would always cbet $2 or more.
2. with that strong of a hand in BvB I am willing to stack off on that drawy flop. So when he raised you I would have 3bet and called a shove.
3. Don't lead out on the turn when you just call his raise on the flop, but since you did and represented the Ace or better and he shoved, time to give up the hand.

Dog on Fire
Oct 2, 2004

HKS posted:

3. Don't lead out on the turn when you just call his raise on the flop, but since you did and represented the Ace or better and he shoved, time to give up the hand.

So I'd call the turn bet, which would be about the same amount that I made and c/f the river since he would either check if the ace wouldn't have hit him or get his stack in if it would have? That makes sense and I'm pretty retarded. Thanks, those are all good points.

Dog on Fire fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 6, 2007

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Dog on Fire posted:

So I'd call the turn bet, which would be about the same amount that I made and c/f the river since he would either check if the ace wouldn't have hit him or get his stack in if it would have? That makes sense and I'm pretty retarded. Thanks, those are all good points.
I don't think that's quite right, at least as a default play. That scenario is tricky because I think a lot of reads and thinking-levels come into play. I'd usually 3-bet the flop too, because after opening from the SB and leading like that I'm broadcasting that I'm very likely on a steal, and a sharp raise like that would snap it off. Reraising it lets him know this isn't the case, along with broadcasting that you've been raising and betting with teeth (ie. a high pocket pair), so his next play will be more "correct" (in the fund. theorem of poker way). So if he plays back at you (or even calls) it means he is willing to go to bat against your likely high pocket pair, a sign that you are probably behind, or at least have to worry if the board gets any more coordinated.

Smarter players will know this and might bluff back, but (playing a lot of 6max NL50 on cake myself) very few players do this at this level, so assume it's not a bluff. Sometimes they'll call your 3bet, which to me is the play I don't want to see, because on the turn I'll be OOP in a large pot and unsure if they're drawing, letting me bet for them, looking to showdown whatever they caught, or just stupid.

However, when you call the flop raise and are looking at an A on the turn, I'd definitely check and decide my next act based on what they do. Leading only means you will be leaning towards the nearest wastebasket to vomit if you get raised back or even called, which I feel will happen most of the time. There's less vomit involved if they push, though. Only a seasoned bluffer/semibluffer (or complete utter maniac) is pushing with something you beat here; it makes it a painful but clear fold.

If you check the turn, it depends a lot on his bet size (if he bets) and any amount of information I can figure from him. Big bets I try and judge on whether it feels more for intimidation or calling-value. Small bets I try and judge on whether it feels more for taking a stab (ie. giving up if you call/raise) or for calling-value. Categorizing players quickly (straightforward, aggressive, etc) really helps evaluate these situations, and even with no reads you can make ballpark estimates on the levels and how they played the hand so far and things like that. Generally speaking though I find those are the reasons behind a person betting after they win initiative from their opponent in an earlier street. In this situation though, yeah, I'll probably be folding to most bets.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 6, 2007

Dog on Fire
Oct 2, 2004

Thanks a lot for your time to write that, Bhaal. I feel this next hand isn't far from the subject, as here I find an opponent with a large stack just flat calling on the flop - either a sign of a tougher hand than my TPTK or, at best, KQ. His preflop behavior is really "what", but how about starting to let go of my hand here and, again, see what he does on the river (suddenly wants to get the money in or checks it again); or is it a push situation?

Seat 2: Kisselek (49.75 in chips)
Seat 4: Pope1212 (112.78 in chips)
Seat 5: bmoney7687 (34.90 in chips)
Seat 6: Me (47.75 in chips)
Seat 10: ulcajun (51.55 in chips)
ulcajun: posts small blind $0.25
Kisselek: posts big blind $0.50
Dealt to me [ Q:d: A:d: ]
Pope1212: raises to $1
bmoney7687: calls
Me: raises to $5
ulcajun: folds
Kisselek: folds
Pope1212: calls
bmoney7687: calls
*** FLOP *** [ T:s:, 5:c:, Q:h: ]
Pope1212: checks
bmoney7687: checks
Me: bets $11
Pope1212: calls
bmoney7687: folds
*** TURN *** [ 6:c: ]
Pope1212: checks
Me: ?

Dog on Fire fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 7, 2007

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

fire the turn, theres no debate here really. Depending on his action after you fire we can talk about the hand some more.

His call on the flop can be so many hands. From pocket pairs to TJ/TK type hands to crap I can't even imagine.

edit: OOPs, thanks blah. Then go all in?

HKS fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 7, 2007

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

HKS posted:

fire the turn, theres no debate here really. Depending on his action after you fire we can talk about the hand some more.

he only has a PSB left

Dog on Fire
Oct 2, 2004

Edit: I'm going to let people argue a bit more about this before posting the results.

Dog on Fire fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 7, 2007

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

HKS posted:

His call on the flop can be so many hands. From pocket pairs to TJ/TK type hands to crap I can't even imagine.

This is not an automatic turn bet in any way. Actually against an unknown I tend to check turn here a lot more than betting again, because on such a drawfree board I hate getting c/raised on the turn or having him shove the river into me. He also will sometimes find a fold with KQ/QJ if you bet the turn and he has to worry about you shoving the river.

OlSpazzy
Feb 10, 2004

HKS posted:

I'm not so sure. Personally, I'd be starting to worry the guy is on a set, overpair, or twopair and is trying to slowplay a pretty dry board. Do we really expect to get a call from villain on a potsized shove? If so, by what? I might fire a feeler bet at the turn and hope to check behind on the river.

But then maybe I'm just a huge nit and I should be shoving in so KQ can call me.

Edit: How did I miss the two posts above me? Anyway, looks like xyven said what I was trying to get at.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

I shove unless he likes to bluff rivers. In general I think we have the best hand most of the time here, he'll call with worse sometimes (and you're shoving into 55 sometimes but whatever), and I try not to get too fancy against mediocre players with one PSB left. It's tougher if you have QJo here or something or if you're a lot deeper.

If stacks were deeper I think I'd still bet, but a bit less (maybe $22 or something)

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Xyven posted:

This is not an automatic turn bet in any way. Actually against an unknown I tend to check turn here a lot more than betting again, because on such a drawfree board I hate getting c/raised on the turn or having him shove the river into me. He also will sometimes find a fold with KQ/QJ if you bet the turn and he has to worry about you shoving the river.

Okay but like blah_blah said, he only has 1 PSB behind him. So we won't get CR and we won't bet the turn and get shoved on riv.

Okay so lets say we check behind, we pretty much have to call any river bet right? What I was thinking was that if we're behind and we check, we're calling the river anyway, and if we're ahead on the flop/turn a river scare card might hit prevent us from getting his stack or allowing him to catch up.

Unless you mean Check the T and re-eval river and possibly fold to a bet, which I don't like at all.

ultimatemike
May 10, 2005

Little Joe? Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
For what it's worth with these stacks I shove turn as well.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I'll also take shove for 400, alex.

Deeper stacked I'd bet 1/2 - 2/3 the pot (occasionally check through) and re-eval the river. Hopefully I can check through the river, but his play just in this hand is starting to scream "value bet me". I think he wants to showdown his lukewarm queen or 99 or whatever trash he can't part with.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

I misread the effective stack sizes and thought they were 200bb deep, so yeah I guess I shove turn or check behind in order to get it in on river. But I really don't like it since your hand does not stack up well against his range when he gets to the turn on this board

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Xyven posted:

I misread the effective stack sizes and thought they were 200bb deep, so yeah I guess I shove turn or check behind in order to get it in on river. But I really don't like it since your hand does not stack up well against his range when he gets to the turn on this board

you don't like it when he calls with QT or 55, but I'm pretty thrilled when he folds AK/KJ/J9 and forfeits the equity his 7/11/8 outer has (and doubly thrilled when he calls with KQ/QJ/98 because, well, this is Cake)

OlSpazzy
Feb 10, 2004

blah_blah posted:

but I'm pretty thrilled when he folds AK/KJ/J9 and forfeits the equity his 7/11/8 outer has

Why would you be thrilled that he's folding a hand that is way behind and not getting the right odds? That aside, I'm still pretty sure I start looking to find a way to fold on the turn against an unknown, but I'm not happy about it either way.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

OlSpazzy posted:

Why would you be thrilled that he's folding a hand that is way behind and not getting the right odds?

because it is better than a hand that is way behind and not getting the right odds getting a free card

edit: also why has this thread become 'I have TPTK on a safe board with no resistance and a PSB left, should I fold to his check on the turn?', villain has not been aggressive at all, his most likely hand is TP2K or something and those are the hands that a bet accomplishes the most against

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 8, 2007

OlSpazzy
Feb 10, 2004

blah_blah posted:

edit: also why has this thread become 'I have TPTK on a safe board with no resistance and a PSB left, should I fold to his check on the turn?'

Because with a neutral board you're either WA/WB and going broke a lot unless villain is loving stupid and calls when WB. I think we're getting trapped here too often on Cake NL50 against an unknown and I bet/fold.

Edit: In reality I probably bet, then change my mind and call $10 more AI, and shortly thereafter decide I am a genius or wish I'd managed to save my last $10.
Edit2: I retract my previous statements and join the shove in on turn bandwagon as I have managed to see the light. Godspeed my pot-betting AI friends!

OlSpazzy fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 8, 2007

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

TheLacqu posted:

How do I maximize being paid off with worse hands here, and minimize the hits I take from better hands? How does my nut flush draw (~20% to hit on river, although the two spades that pair the board might be bad news) influence my turn decision? What's weird/interesting about the hand is that the hands that I was ahead of and would pay me off on the turn (set, some two pair) beat me on the river, and the hands that I was behind on the turn (higher straight, made flush) I now have beaten, albeit on a board that likely won't get me much action from them. Reverse polarizations are always fun!
That is a pretty neat hand, and definitely a tricky river. I'm not too sure what I'd do here. I think your hand is ahead of too much to do anything but hope lesser hands do the extraction for you (which easily could happen). You are going to pay off boats here, provided they put in amounts reasonable in relation to the pot, and bluffs are going to evaporate the larger the pot gets, so I'd keep the pot from bloating too much and get to showdown. ie. check (occasionally bet small) and call anything reasonable. EDIT: scratch that, bet small most the time and check occasionally.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 8, 2007

Oachkatzlschwoaf
Oct 23, 2006

Two heads are better than one
Still a noob at NL cash games, this hand happened to me:

http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcfGxMTFxc3AxcTExMXDwojFwcTHwMM%3d

(I'm x1OUTERx)

Hands where almost the entire table sees the flop seem to happen quite often at Cake, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Oachkatzlschwoaf posted:

Still a noob at NL cash games, this hand happened to me:

http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcfGxMTFxc3AxcTExMXDwojFwcTHwMM%3d

(I'm x1OUTERx)

Hands where almost the entire table sees the flop seem to happen quite often at Cake, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

poo poo happens, you got your money in good (at least most of it). Pushing the flop might be good due to stackzises, but overall you played fine.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

I Like the way you played that pretty well personally. Q 10 aint great but given the $ in ahead of you I think completing the SB is fine here. With so many players and a strong hand on a dangerous board you have to lead out the flop which you did.

Your 3 bet is good too the only thing I would have done different is give the stacks of you opponents left in the hand just moved all in (or raised enough to put them all in, same thing). Obviously since flush guy was willing to pay the 4.10 on top he would probly throw in his last 1.20 too so the outcome wouldn't change, the difference being you will get that 1.20 when he misses and you take the pot vs him folding the river.

Anyway, I like it for the most part, but I am a noob too so if I may be wrong about some of this =)

M E A T Y
May 2, 2005

so secure

Calincole posted:

I Like the way you played that pretty well personally. Q 10 aint great but given the $ in ahead of you I think completing the SB is fine here. With so many players and a strong hand on a dangerous board you have to lead out the flop which you did.

Your 3 bet is good too the only thing I would have done different is give the stacks of you opponents left in the hand just moved all in (or raised enough to put them all in, same thing). Obviously since flush guy was willing to pay the 4.10 on top he would probly throw in his last 1.20 too so the outcome wouldn't change, the difference being you will get that 1.20 when he misses and you take the pot vs him folding the river.

Anyway, I like it for the most part, but I am a noob too so if I may be wrong about some of this =)

You're right, bet/3bet all in on this flop

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
http://www.pokerhand.org/?1707658

I am trying to get used to cash games by playing NL10, and this hand is one I feel could use some critique.

Preflop: I raised to 7bb because the table had been fairly loose about calling up to 5 bb preflop and I didn't want to play against many hands. In addition, both limpers had been loose about calling my preflop raises before so I was fine to isolate against them with that raise size. Is this alright?

Flop: Mulman's check indicates either a slowplay or nothing, but with the draw out I feel I have to bet. I bet out 10 bb because it seems like a reasonable bet. Overbetting seems like it would be careless here, since she certainly could have a ten. Instead, she check-minraises, and that left me confused. I began to doubt she would have a ten because her play so far has shown me she would probably c/r bigger than that with a ten, and I think she'd c/c 55. I don't know why I didn't reraise here. I think the call was dumb.

Turn: Now I'm just straight up not believing her and get the rest of her stack in.

As played, I think I could have done better with this hand. Is there anything I am overlooking? I trusted my read, and I think I got the best result, but I feel I played the flop wrong. What could I do differently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

albedoa
May 3, 2004

This hand is completely standard. Nicely done.

quote:

Mulman's check indicates either a slowplay or nothing

Players will often check to the preflop raiser no matter how hard they hit. You're correct that he checked because he is either slowplaying or he missed, but more accurately he checked because you were the preflop aggressor.

When he minraises you on the flop, he has $2.88 left in a $5.50 pot. The money is obviously going in, but whether you wait for the turn or not barely matters here cause he is so short. If he is capable of getting away from hands in which he is already committed, then waiting to let him bluff the rest on the turn is fine. You're either way ahead or way behind. The two diamonds on the flop might change this to a flop push, but it still barely matters since he's probably getting the rest in on the turn no matter what falls.

Nice hand.

albedoa fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 17, 2007

• Locked thread