Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It seems kind of silly to deduct points, I would've loved to participate before the first deadline but basically accepted there was no way I was going to devote myself to this while adjusting to grad school. But now that everything is almost out of the way let's see if I can get through all those matches by January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Ditch posted:

Some pics from HUSTLEMANIA:
http://www.puroresufan.com/bbs/index.php?topic=4009.840

Main results: Sapp over HG, Sakata over Esperanza after Esperanza's lazer beam attack was reflected at him by Sakata's ultra-hot wife Eiko Koike. Kawada did an Elvis impersonation in lieu of wrestling.
The Esperanza match is so goddamn epic. LOVE & HUSTLE indeed.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Esperanza vs Sakata is so over-the-top that it works, I only wish the match moved faster.

MassRayPer posted:

It seems kind of silly to deduct points
You had your chance :colbert:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I guess the fact that Takada had about 7 squibs or so wired around his body played a pretty huge part in that. Plus, isn't Esperanza supposed to be some kind of cyborg?

Still, I think there's a pretty good chance that the speed issue will be made obsolete depending on what exactly Generalissimo Takada's next incarnation is going to be.

Esperanza matches are basically the perfect example to sum up HUSTLE's Fighting Opera style. It's a humongously silly spectacle, it's wayyy over the top, but it also takes itself just seriously enough that it works. That's the difference between Esperanza shooting people with his invisible laser beam and Vince McMahon challenging god to a PPV match.

I also hope we'll get footage of Elvis Kawada online soon.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Kobashi is back and looks to be in the same shape he left size-wise, maybe he'll be more mobile with his knees being rested but I'm not counting on it.

Morishima beat Marufuji and is probably the next (and last?) challenger for Misawa. In the main event tag, Misawa pinned Kobashi with a super emerald frosion.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
How likely is it that Hustlemania will get put up on the internet for international fans? I really like watching hustle matches in between all the more serious japanese stuff, that and Esperanza's invisible laser is the coolest wrestling move ever :)

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://www.sendspace.com/file/j5ie1r
HG vs Sapp

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0z1gpg
EPIC~

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Edit: I forgot this was Japan, that makes sense.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 2, 2007

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
In the spirit of generocity after watching Kobashi's return match, I'm simplifying the AJ '90s extension to just 1 point off between tomorrow and the final deadline rather than the two tier thingy.

TheDuelies
Jul 13, 2005

I'd go gay for this goggle-eyed freak!
Just finished watching the top two matches on the NOAH show.

Marufuji vs. Morishima was great, the last part was intense. My roommate happened to walk in at those last few mins and stayed to see the ending, and he doesn't like wrestling.

Kobashi's return was amazing. The atmosphere, the in ring work, the crowd. All great and fun.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I am going to make a request and if nobody fills it I will not be concerned but if someone does they will always be in my heart:

Can someone do a Christmas version of my avatar with either Izu wearing a Santa hat and/or Kawada's foot as a stocking or elf shoe or some such?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If I can get photoshop working soon i'll do it. I owe you for that link you gave me (all the puro downloads) a while back :)

Artemis Entreri
Oct 2, 2005

by Peatpot

I have no idea what I just watched but it was probably the greatest thing ever. Wrestling and what appears to be a comic book like federation that was awesome. Also why is stuff subtitled in japan if it took place in japan to begin with?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Artemis Entreri posted:

I have no idea what I just watched but it was probably the greatest thing ever. Wrestling and what appears to be a comic book like federation that was awesome. Also why is stuff subtitled in japan if it took place in japan to begin with?
Japanese people often can't understand each other, between regional dialects and fast-talkers. Subtitles are totally normal.

That promotion is HUSTLE, offshoot of PRIDE. Here's a recently started English fansite:
http://hustle.puroresufan.com/

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I just watched last night's tag match and it made me wonder two things: A) Why doesn't anybody even attempt to TRY to get licenses to produce the shows in america with English commentary? B) Does Kobashi age? At all?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Quote != Edit :saddowns:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Kobashi return match online at http://theditch.com

linknumbers posted:

I just watched last night's tag match and it made me wonder two things: A) Why doesn't anybody even attempt to TRY to get licenses to produce the shows in america with English commentary?
http://www.noah-usa.cc/merchandise.html

quote:

B) Does Kobashi age? At all?
He looked a little older in the face and he isn't exactly moving around the way he did back in the day. Hopefully this will extend his career a bit.

Artemis Entreri
Oct 2, 2005

by Peatpot

linknumbers posted:

I just watched last night's tag match and it made me wonder two things: A) Why doesn't anybody even attempt to TRY to get licenses to produce the shows in america with English commentary? B) Does Kobashi age? At all?

I saw all the FMW dvd's that were remade with english commentary and I think it was awful there just seems to be no emotion in calling a pre-recorded match. I would be totally ok with the japanese dvd with just english sub-titles

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Artemis Entreri posted:

just english sub-titles
JUST?! It would take waaaaaay more effort to have the announcers translated and subtitled than to get US announcers dubbed. Try to grasp how much verbiage is getting spat out every minute, and also keep in mind that much of it is wrestling terminology, which would further complicate getting it translated. And the shows are 150-180 minutes long, so it's more to translate than an average movie!

Artemis Entreri
Oct 2, 2005

by Peatpot

Ditch posted:

JUST?! It would take waaaaaay more effort to have the announcers translated and subtitled than to get US announcers dubbed. Try to grasp how much verbiage is getting spat out every minute, and also keep in mind that much of it is wrestling terminology, which would further complicate getting it translated. And the shows are 150-180 minutes long, so it's more to translate than an average movie!

well i'm just an uninformed idiot :) I'm just basing it off those awful FMV dvd's that were put out

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Artemis Entreri posted:

I saw all the FMW dvd's that were remade with english commentary and I think it was awful there just seems to be no emotion in calling a pre-recorded match. I would be totally ok with the japanese dvd with just english sub-titles

From what i've seen, I absolutely love most of the Japanese commentary. Even though I don't know what's going on, they seem really into the match. It's pretty exciting.

RheinholdMessner
May 12, 2001

by Fistgrrl
The fight network has old NOAH matches with english commentary. They should pay me for all the advertising I'm doing for them.

Carl Smoky
Feb 25, 2006
While I enjoy a lot of Japanese commentary, especially Yajima Manabu (the guy who called the Kobashi return match), Fukuzawa "Just Meet" Akira (he called a lot of the big matches in All Japan in the 90s), and any time Takayama Yoshihiro is on guest commentary, I don't think it adds enough to the match to warrant being subtitled. And if the FMW DVDs or the dubbed commentary from some New Japan show that's on in Europe are any indication, I don't think dubbing is the right way to go either. I think a good solution would be to leave the commentary as it is and just put important notes before, after, or even during the match up on the screen.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

If i remember correctly, and i like to think i do, then TWC Fight! in the UK shows matches with Japanese commentary, but has an english guy run down the competitors and set the scene for the match before the match starts. This is the best way to do things I think.

I mean I couldn't even imagine watching Kobashi's return or say the Huslemania main event with English commentators. It just would get the magnitude of the spectacle across. In fact i love watching ROH matches with Japanese commentary because it makes it more exciting, in my opinion.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

That Esperanza match is one of the greatest things ever. Takada is the greatest Japanese entertainer of all time.

Artemis Entreri
Oct 2, 2005

by Peatpot
Just watched the NOAH main even show. Why did they bury Kobashi in his first match back? I would of assumed Takayama was going to take the pin but drat a Emerald Frosion from the second rope was sweet as hell

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Artemis Entreri posted:

Just watched the NOAH main even show. Why did they bury Kobashi in his first match back? I would of assumed Takayama was going to take the pin but drat a Emerald Frosion from the second rope was sweet as hell

He's been out of action for a year and a half, which in Japan means you have a lot of ring rust and will lose because of it. Losing to the champion to an Avalanche version of his finisher is hardly being "buried" and it sets up a money match between Kobashi and Misawa after Misawa drops the belt.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

MassRayPer posted:

He's been out of action for a year and a half, which in Japan means you have a lot of ring rust and will lose because of it. Losing to the champion to an Avalanche version of his finisher is hardly being "buried" and it sets up a money match between Kobashi and Misawa where Misawa drops the belt to Kobashi.

Fixed for what's going to actually happen

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Artemis Entreri posted:

Are you mixing up the wrestling vocabulary how was that a burial in any way????

Captain Charisma posted:

Fixed for what's going to actually happen

hell yeah :hfive:

Artemis Entreri
Oct 2, 2005

by Peatpot

MassRayPer posted:

He's been out of action for a year and a half, which in Japan means you have a lot of ring rust and will lose because of it. Losing to the champion to an Avalanche version of his finisher is hardly being "buried" and it sets up a money match between Kobashi and Misawa after Misawa drops the belt.

Yeah I guess, I mean I guess I'm just looking at it like WWE having Cena come back and having him pinned in his first match back.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Artemis Entreri posted:

Yeah I guess, I mean I guess I'm just looking at it like WWE having Cena come back and having him pinned in his first match back.

This is the difference between sports entertainment and puro. I'd say he held his own for a guy who just battled cancer and was out for over a year and it was far from a burial.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 4, 2007

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

This is the difference between sports entertainment and puro. I'd say he held his own for a guy who just battled cancer and was out for over a year and it was far from a burial.

Not to mention he was just hit with like 3 or 4 signature moves.

What's probably going to happen is Kobashi will win the title at a Budokan show or maybe even a Dome show, then he'll drop it to Morishima.

Dr. Destructo
Jun 14, 2005

My SKULL!

Carl Smoky posted:

While I enjoy a lot of Japanese commentary, especially Yajima Manabu (the guy who called the Kobashi return match), Fukuzawa "Just Meet" Akira (he called a lot of the big matches in All Japan in the 90s), and any time Takayama Yoshihiro is on guest commentary, I don't think it adds enough to the match to warrant being subtitled. And if the FMW DVDs or the dubbed commentary from some New Japan show that's on in Europe are any indication, I don't think dubbing is the right way to go either. I think a good solution would be to leave the commentary as it is and just put important notes before, after, or even during the match up on the screen.

Just to be sure, this is the DEEEE DEEEE TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE guy, right? I've always wondered what his name was. His play by play is so over the top, it's amazing and really adds to the match.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

If they were going to show it in North America (on the Fight Network or something) why not make sure the announcers have never seen it before? Film it in Japan, send it to the US, make them announce as they watch, fix any glaring errors, and then put it on TV. It could do alright I imagine.

Artemis Entreri
Oct 2, 2005

by Peatpot

weekly font posted:

None the less it a great match and has furthered my interest in puro...can't wait to see what's next

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Misawa vs Morishima, GHC title, Budokan Hall 3/2/08. Could be Misawa's swan song as a champion. I anticipate that they'll do Misawa vs Kobashi to build to Morishima vs Kobashi.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Holy gently caress, I just watched that Kobashi return match, and I was pretty much in tears afterwards. That was so wonderful to watch.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I almost lost it during the entrance.

Also note how Akiyama is trying not to smile during the multi-chops because he's so happy.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ditch posted:

I almost lost it during the entrance.

Also note how Akiyama is trying not to smile during the multi-chops because he's so happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udgTgMGK9xE

posting it here for ref.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

And for further reference, he's the entrance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo7UsdQrGAM