Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
Here's some pictures of Nobbers!

He always looks angry. He's an angry bunny. Possible reason: we removed his testicles. (Stupid previous owner didn't know anything about him - we were told he was 3 and neutered, but he's less than a year old, and, well, $200 later...)

He's very picky. The only veggies he deems edible is lettuce, carrots, and raddish tops. Won't touch any fruit, or beets, or broccoli, or spinach. He also doesn't chew on stuff or dig very much - so finding toys he likes is very hard too. I gave him a box with paper in it, and he just sat on it. I gave him a straw basket to chew on and he also... just sits in it. He has a few balls and stuff like that around the house/cage that he doesn't care about. Oh well. If he wants to be bored, let him.

Now: a cage shot

(BTW, don't worry about the wires in the background. He can't reach them from inside his cage, and he only runs around in the kitchen)

You can see the ramp I had to build out of carpet/blanket, boxes and cardboard bits. Nobbers didn't figure out how to use it for at least two days.

Bagleworm fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 1, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Nobbers looks like he could be Mo's twin, save Momiji is brown.

Is that really what an angry rabbit looks like? Momo looks like that when he's on his couch perch.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
Nah, we just say he's angry because his face looks like an angry old man's face. Especially how chubby his cheeks and "eyebrows" look. The last one of him, he looks like a happy Buddah bunny.

(In actuality, in those pictures he's drugged up/in pain, because that was the evening he was neutered.)

He wouldn't eat for three days after the surgery - we went to the vet who gave him another pain medication shot, and a syringe for us to feed him with. We had to feed him three shots of mashed up pellets and baby food to get him eating again, but that night I saw him eating his hay, and the next day there were finally poops in his litterbox.
I seriously never expected to be so happy about rabbit poop in my life.

Is Momiji a Lop? I hadn't ever seen a lop before we got him, (At least, not in the flesh), because I'd only ever seen the bunnies from the pet store. I was surprised how big he was!

I also think his fur is a winter coat - in the picture from the place we bought him, he was a LOT darker, so I'm expecting he'll go brown once the spring comes again. Maybe then they'll really be twins!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Yes, Mo is a lop. I don't know if he's a "mini" lop though; I was told he's about three years old (I'm his third owner), and he's small compared to Cowslip, who's not even a year yet (but her mom is apparently a giant).

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
Update on the rabbits:
After much careful consideration (and bun-proofing), the bunnies have effectively become free range. They're in my room at night but during the whole day they have the hall way and living room to run through too, and let me tell you, nothing beats coming home from work and having Annie waiting by the door for you. It's adorable! I guess she hears me coming up the steps or something. She totally has the morning routine down too and will wait in the kitchen while I prep the veggies because she knows I'll toss her snacks. =D.

Bagleworm: Nobbers looks super cute! Have you tried things like parsley, cilantro(your hands will smell for hours after chopping this stuff), and Red chard? My buns won't touch spinach either. I also give them some celery from time to time too, bonus points if you can get long stem celery with leafiness!

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
I wish we had somewhere we could let Nobbers run free, Deceptor, - your setup sounds awesome! I can imagine how cool it would be to have your bunny greet you at the door just like any other pet. A lot of people act surprised when they see rabbits "acting just like cats".

Nobbers likes parsely and leafy celery, but they're hard to find around here. It's a pain even trying to find non-wilted lettuce, some days.

I'm staying at my parent's place over Christmas, and we have to bring Nobbers with us. I'm not worried about the trip, that's no problem, but what I am worried about is the dog and my little sister, who's almost three.
I'm just worried that the combination of the dog barking at cars/visitors, and a toddler poking at the cage, as well as a new environment, may put him into shock.

Any tips on minimizing this? I'll put a blanket over his cage for the first little bit, and try to get the point across to my sister that he's not a toy, but an animal... I may put a lock on the doors of his cage too, I haven't decided. Anything else I should consider?

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Bagleworm posted:

Nobbers likes parsely and leafy celery, but they're hard to find around here. It's a pain even trying to find non-wilted lettuce, some days.
Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that, I live near plenty of hippies so we have organic produce all around!(leafy celery is still a rarity for me though)

Bagleworm posted:

Any tips on minimizing this?
I think the safest bet would be behind a locked door. As far as your sister goes, I wouldn't worry as much as the dog, she'll probably get bored with Nobbers pretty fast, as he'll most likely just hide in his box. It really depends on what kind of dog, but if you can keep the rooms separate it'll make a big deal. Also probably just making sure to spend some quality time with Nobbers petting him with no other things going on, that'll help him get used to the new room. The key thing will be is just to introduce him to as few new things as possible. Maybe get there before any other family does so he can adjust to the room and the new people before even more people show up? To be honest, it sounds like he's a pretty laid back rabbit, so he'll probably handle it fine, unless your sister is chasing him around his cage with her hand while the dog is barking and 7 new people are circling the cage =P.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

In my spare time I hypnotize bunnies.

Bagleworm posted:

Any tips on minimizing this? I'll put a blanket over his cage for the first little bit, and try to get the point across to my sister that he's not a toy, but an animal... I may put a lock on the doors of his cage too, I haven't decided. Anything else I should consider?

I would just keep him in a separate room from the dog and little sister. Bring as many familiar items with you as you can so everything smells the same.

theflosquito
Feb 20, 2005
In rod we trust!
I am hoping to adopt a rabbit this weekend. He is a 2 year old neutered mini lop who was rescued from a neglectful family, and he is currently being taken care of by a vet student. So far, his feed has consisted mostly of pellets. Obviously as soon as I get him I want to wean him into a more healthy diet. How gradually should I wean him off (or at least mostly off) the pellets?

He is currently on antibiotics for a nasal infection, will changing his diet make him sicker (or keep him sicker longer?)

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

theflosquito posted:

I am hoping to adopt a rabbit this weekend. He is a 2 year old neutered mini lop who was rescued from a neglectful family, and he is currently being taken care of by a vet student. So far, his feed has consisted mostly of pellets. Obviously as soon as I get him I want to wean him into a more healthy diet. How gradually should I wean him off (or at least mostly off) the pellets?

He is currently on antibiotics for a nasal infection, will changing his diet make him sicker (or keep him sicker longer?)

Antibiotics can cause a lot of GI upset, but so can unfamiliar veggies. So, you might actually want to keep him him on free-feed pellets and offer unlimited timothy, but no veggies, until he finishes. The timothy is very unlikely to cause any GI problems so it's fine to add that in. But this way you can be sure that the GI upset is antibiotics not new veggies. It would also be good to get a prescription fr Benebac to strengthen his gut flora while he's on the antibiotics.

Once you're ready to start the diet change, you can offer him unlimited hay and limited veggies (introduced one at a time in small quantities, watching constantly for GI changes), but continue to offer pellets in the quantities outlined here. If the pellets are a poor brand, wait until you are certain the rabbit is eating hay and veggies prior to switching pellet brands or weaning him totally off.

If the rabbit doesn't obviously eat the hay or veggies, you may need to allow more pellets, but there should be a few hours every day when the rabbit has no pellets and plenty of hay and veggies.

The best way to be sure he's eating enough hay & veggies (if you don't actually see them disappearing) is to weigh him daily and keep a record of his weight.

theflosquito
Feb 20, 2005
In rod we trust!
Thanks for your answer!

I've been wanting to get a rabbit for a while, so I am really excited that his little guy has become available, since it is nearly impossible to find adult rabbits up for adoption in my city. I want to make sure I'll be a good parent to him. I will probably have 100 more stupid questions, so it's nice to have a resource like this.

Bonus pics of my potential future bunny:

Also, before anyone says anything, the first thing I will do is get him out of that cage and into a larger one.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else's rabbits know their name? I wonder with Mo, because sometimes I call him and he doesn't peek out; other times I walk into the room and just start to say his name and he's under my feet, wanting to be pet. Cowslip could care less about me calling, but I notice whenever Mo is getting something, Cowslip comes running over to investigate.

I seriously never thought there'd be a day I'd think rabbits are better than dogs.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Neither of mine know their names, just the sound of the raisin jar being shook.

I've only had them 9 months and 6 months though.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

TheDeadKnow posted:

Does anyone else's rabbits know their name? I wonder with Mo, because sometimes I call him and he doesn't peek out; other times I walk into the room and just start to say his name and he's under my feet, wanting to be pet. Cowslip could care less about me calling, but I notice whenever Mo is getting something, Cowslip comes running over to investigate.

I seriously never thought there'd be a day I'd think rabbits are better than dogs.

Debbie knows her name, Murphy does, I think. If you call him, he'll look at you but not hop over or anything. Debbie will generally come when called unless she knows she is in trouble.

ritjet
Feb 20, 2006
I'm sailing!
We haven't called Belle by her name. She has always been, "Bunny bunny bunny". She does respond to, "Come here," with kissy noises or the sound of the fridge door opening.

I've learned to brace myself for bunny impact when I open the fridge when she's out of her cage.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I'm working on my rabbits name, every time I feed him I call his name so one day he will come when I call him.

Foranzan
Sep 22, 2006

I'm a public embarrassment, I'm a bottle of diet poison
Quick question:

I occasionally burn a candle in the room the rabbits are in to sometimes help reduce the smell of urine (this is, post-cleaning but pre-before it needs cleaning again)

Is the scent from the candle going to hurt the rabbits? (A la, never put them in ceder bedding since the smell can hurt their insides)

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Not to be a dick or anything but if the smell of urine is so bad you have to burn scented candles, you need to clean their litterboxes more often. If you use that Carefresh stuff it takes at least three days before you start to smell anything.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Haven't been around here in a while, but here are some new pictures and videos of Pixel-Pon! Enjoy!
She has a harness and loves going outside to eat fresh grass!

As you can see, she still has her funny batman-like cape shape on her back! Her tail reminds me of a Totoro tail.

This is her most favorite toy, it's a cat toy but she totally plays with it!

Here's a link to a vid of her playing with it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=h1oAlW8c5Zk
Destroying my mom's papers...

Here she is with some tasty hay!

Standing up for an apple treat...

She loves being pet, despite the evil glare in her eye...

ritjet
Feb 20, 2006
I'm sailing!
Would there be any reason why a rabbit would be scared of clementines or any orange-like fruit?

I was eating one and offered a wedge to Belle. She acted like I had introduced a hawk to her. She slinked around like she was terrified and would stamp her foot. I figured that it was maybe a noise that happened at the same time as the wedge offer. So I offered her another piece, and she went running at full speed to her cage.

Foranzan
Sep 22, 2006

NMR posted:

Not to be a dick or anything but if the smell of urine is so bad you have to burn scented candles, you need to clean their litterboxes more often. If you use that Carefresh stuff it takes at least three days before you start to smell anything.

I change their boxes every Sunday and Thursday, and I do use the carefresh, but for whatever reason, after about, one or two days, it's pretty evident there's a bad smell.

They are in a small room which probably doesn't help (when they're in their cages)

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Foranzan posted:

I change their boxes every Sunday and Thursday, and I do use the carefresh, but for whatever reason, after about, one or two days, it's pretty evident there's a bad smell.

They are in a small room which probably doesn't help (when they're in their cages)

Well... I don't actually know if scented candles are bad for them. But aren't scented candles more of an effort than changing litterboxes every two days?

ritjet posted:

Would there be any reason why a rabbit would be scared of clementines or any orange-like fruit?

Haha, the other day I offered mine a wedge of mandarin and he looked at me like I was retarded. I broke the skin so he could smell that it was in fact edible and put it in his food bowl. After a few tentative licks he did end up eating it though.

Maybe the skin has a smell to it that rabbits don't like?

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

NMR posted:

Maybe the skin has a smell to it that rabbits don't like?

This seems likely, we have this spray called "Bitter Apple" that we use to keep Pixel from biting anything and everything, and the first time we used it she got really annoyed and stomped around all day.

I am Dan I am
Jun 30, 2007
WHAT A GREAT VALENTINE'S DAY GIFT
I just got an English Angora :)

When I take him out to brush him/whatever, he's usually pretty chill for a while. However, once he's had enough he starts looking around. The he'll paw really fast, like he's trying to burrow, and bite whatever's in front of him and pull it up a bit (usually a couch cushion, sometimes my leg). He does this inside his cage too.

Is he mad at me? Is he trying to tell me he has to pee? He hasn't been neutered yet, maybe sexual frustration?

Edit: He's a rescue bun and has a tattoo on the inside of his ear. Is there any way to use it to track down his origins?

I am Dan I am fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 10, 2007

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

I am Dan I am posted:

I just got an English Angora :)

When I take him out to brush him/whatever, he's usually pretty chill for a while. However, once he's had enough he starts looking around. The he'll paw really fast, like he's trying to burrow, and bite whatever's in front of him and pull it up a bit (usually a couch cushion, sometimes my leg). He does this inside his cage too.

Is he mad at me? Is he trying to tell me he has to pee? He hasn't been neutered yet, maybe sexual frustration?

Edit: He's a rescue bun and has a tattoo on the inside of his ear. Is there any way to use it to track down his origins?

No it doesn't mean he's mad, he just wants to dig! Get a box and put shredded paper in it and let him dig, my buns love it.

I somehow doubt you could track anything down with the tattoo, but I don't really know.

I am Dan I am
Jun 30, 2007
WHAT A GREAT VALENTINE'S DAY GIFT

girlscoutdropout posted:

No it doesn't mean he's mad, he just wants to dig! Get a box and put shredded paper in it and let him dig, my buns love it.

I somehow doubt you could track anything down with the tattoo, but I don't really know.

He has a very diggable litter box, and he doesn't really dig in it :confused: I'll shred some paper and put it in his cage though. I just want him to be happy.

Who would tattoo a bunny :( Apparently the people he was taken from left him in a yard. His foster mother had to shave him completely.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

okiecompy posted:

Here's a link to a vid of her playing with it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=h1oAlW8c5Zk

Holy crap this looks like so much fun, I'd love to play with my rabbits like that. Luckily tomorrow is my day off and there's a pet store close by!

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

your reviews aren't that good

I am Dan I am posted:

Who would tattoo a bunny :(

A breeder or an owner who wants to show the rabbit at an ARBA event.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

candeh posted:

A breeder or an owner who wants to show the rabbit at an ARBA event.

Bingo.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Murphy has an ear tattoo, but I never knew if it would lead to anything. I always wanted to track down the breeder and see if they had "family" photos I could compare him to. Mostly because I can't imagine how handsome the parents must have been to create my cute little monster.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

okiecompy posted:

Her tail reminds me of a Totoro tail.

I've always thought that about my Lucy. That was the weirdest movie ever, my little sister was obsessed with it.

theflosquito
Feb 20, 2005
In rod we trust!
I am picking up my new bunny tomorrow night, so I went grocery shopping for him today. I picked out Romaine hearts, carrots (with tops for greenery) and Dill. I have red peppers, zuchinni, and snow peas already in the house. I was wondering how much Dill should he get relative to the rest of the veggies? Do I need to feed him herb sparingly?

I have a lemon basil plant, can he eat some of that or is only regular basil ok for rabbits?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
More news about my move in two weeks...

Mo and Cowslip will be moving from having a living room to play in, down to a newly built cage (I'm looking at having one made out of non-painted aluminum, any issues with that?) about three feet long, possibly four, a two story house cage.

My mom is leery of having them in such a cage when they are used to free range, pretty much. She also isn't fond of the idea of two rabbits, when I had only one initially. She's willing to give them a chance, but she'd much prefer just one rabbit. I'm wondering if the lesser of two evils would be to find someone who can take care of both rabbits, rather than split up a bonded pair.

The rabbits and cat seem to know something is up; CJ the cat is very clingy, and Mo wants more pets than usual. Cowslip is her ordinary "teenage" self of not caring.

Kur0
Dec 13, 2002

You know, I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothin', but I think Depeche Mode is a sweet band.
Hey fellow bunny fanatics, I have my first real perplexing bun question.

Why in the world do they keep dragging their grass mats into the litter boxes?! I've already got a bunch of litter in there, as well as hay, and then hay attached to the side of the cage for them to eat, yet they keep dragging the grass mats in there. Don't they want any place comfy to relax when they're not eating?

Silly buns. :rolleyes:

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Kur0 posted:

Hey fellow bunny fanatics, I have my first real perplexing bun question.

Why in the world do they keep dragging their grass mats into the litter boxes?! I've already got a bunch of litter in there, as well as hay, and then hay attached to the side of the cage for them to eat, yet they keep dragging the grass mats in there. Don't they want any place comfy to relax when they're not eating?

Silly buns. :rolleyes:

No idea. Why would anytime I put a laundry detergent cap in their cage it goes straight into the water bowl? Haha.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

girlscoutdropout posted:

No idea. Why would anytime I put a laundry detergent cap in their cage it goes straight into the water bowl? Haha.

I guess they're just playing.

My rabbit will stack his bowls when empty. He sometimes has three bowls and you'll come downstairs to find them neatly arranged in a pile. If you leave him with only one bowl, he'll fling it out of the cage door if empty.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Foranzan posted:

Unless your bunnies pee a gallon each time, this probably means they're missing the box. I use carefresh and change it about as often as you do and I NEVER smell it, except when I'm dumping the box into the garbage bag (and christ, it's like unleashing hell). I had to add higher walls to my boxes because Ben was peeing backwards rather than down. Check around the litterbox or the cage, they're probably peeing somewhere you haven't noticed. Or you need to use more litter *shrug*

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Cowslips Warren posted:

I'm wondering if the lesser of two evils would be to find someone who can take care of both rabbits, rather than split up a bonded pair.

Yes, that would probably be preferable. Splitting up a bonded pair can result in grieving for both animals, and grief can be serious even to the extent of leading to health problems.

However, the BEST solution to your situation is to keep them, together, in a cage, even if they hardly ever get any out time. You just have to watch for a new set health and behavioral problems, but it won't mentally traumatize them or anything.

A caged bonded pair in an educated, responsible home is better than being rehomed to god only knows what kind of conditions, or than being separated. Hell, if you surrender them, they might get separated later anyhow.

Let me give you a concrete example to use on your mom: I have a rescue. I moved from a 3 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom apartment, which I now have to share with another person. All of my animals had to downsize as well. Most of the pigs were paired in 3'x7' cages, now I have to have 4 animals in the same size space. My rabbits went from free range or 3'x12' pens, down to 3'x3' pens or 2'x4' 2-story Leith condos.

My giant 10lb sanctuary rabbits, Roo and BunBun, went from a 12'x8' room of their own, down to a 3'x3' pen. They responded by rattling the door at me any time I walked by, and staring at me so reproachfully that it almost started to affect my self-esteem (kidding). After two months I was able to expand it to a 3'x7', and Roo's first action in the larger pen was to do an XXL sized binky, even though it was still so much smaller than what he previously had. You haven't lived till you've seen a rabbit the size of a schnauzer leap into the air with joy.

Would they be happier in a larger space? Obviously, yes. Are they happy in their current smaller space. Also yes.

I really hope you can talk your mom into letting you keep both rabbits, and into realizing that being in a big enough cage is not going to be as much of a problem as separating or rehoming them.

Foranzan
Sep 22, 2006

Deceptor101 posted:

Unless your bunnies pee a gallon each time, this probably means they're missing the box. I use carefresh and change it about as often as you do and I NEVER smell it, except when I'm dumping the box into the garbage bag (and christ, it's like unleashing hell). I had to add higher walls to my boxes because Ben was peeing backwards rather than down. Check around the litterbox or the cage, they're probably peeing somewhere you haven't noticed. Or you need to use more litter *shrug*

well, to be quite honest I'm having trouble with their litter boxes. they both use the same corner of their cage, but they also push the box out of that corner whenever I put it there (I put carefresh in and up around it as well).

And of course Enid, who loves to dig, digs and it gets everywhere.

Not sure how I can "force" them to use the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Foranzan posted:

well, to be quite honest I'm having trouble with their litter boxes. they both use the same corner of their cage, but they also push the box out of that corner whenever I put it there (I put carefresh in and up around it as well).

And of course Enid, who loves to dig, digs and it gets everywhere.

Not sure how I can "force" them to use the box.

It took me a year to believe it was over
And it took me two more to get over the loss.

Have you considered punching/drilling a hole into the boxes, then tying or clipping them to the side of the cage? I've done that in a couple of spots for the ferrets. Also, one person who surrendered ferrets to me put heavy duty velcro on the bottom of the litter boxes and on the floor of the cage.