Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madrappin
Dec 5, 2006

Solar, wind power, and knives! Green Team!

40 OZ posted:

What were your hole cards?

Don't bet $1.00 into a .64 pot, unless you are Brad Booth.

Oh sorry, I didn't notice that it doesn't display my own cards. I had pocket 7's. Is the Brad Booth comment regarding the overbet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

madrappin posted:

Oh sorry, I didn't notice that it doesn't display my own cards. I had pocket 7's. Is the Brad Booth comment regarding the overbet?

Yes.

In general it is bad to overbet the pot, but I understand this is microstakes and I overshove a million BB's into a 10BB pot sometimes with the right player and right action.

edit- Here is a little gem I found.
Bodog No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

CO ($64.50)
Button ($65.00)
SB (VILLAIN) ($119.80)
HERO ($130.79)
UTG ($162.05)
UTG+1 ($95.50)
MP1 ($220.89)
MP2 ($42.50)
MP3 ($23.74)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Jd, 6d.
4 folds, MP3 calls $1, CO raises to $3, Button calls $3, SB (VILLAIN) calls $2.50, HERO calls $2, MP3 calls $2.

Flop: ($15) 3s, Js, 7h (5 players)
VILLAIN checks, HERO bets $5, MP3 folds, CO calls $5, Button folds, VILLAIN raises to $25, HERO bets $127.79 (All-In), CO folds, VILLAIN bets $116.8 (All-In).

Turn: ($264.59) 3h (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($264.59) 7s (2 players, 2 all-in)

Final Pot: $264.59

VILLAIN has As 2s (flush, ace high).
HERO has Jd 6d (two pair, jacks and sevens).
Outcome: VILLAIN wins $253.60. HERO wins $10.99. [/spoiler]

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 12, 2007

M E A T Y
May 2, 2005

so secure

40 OZ posted:

Yes.

In general it is bad to overbet the pot, but I understand this is microstakes and I overshove a million BB's into a 10BB pot sometimes with the right player and right action.

Bodog No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

CO ($64.50)
Button ($65.00)
SB (VILLAIN) ($119.80)
HERO ($130.79)
UTG ($162.05)
UTG+1 ($95.50)
MP1 ($220.89)
MP2 ($42.50)
MP3 ($23.74)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Jd, 6d.
4 folds, MP3 calls $1, CO raises to $3, Button calls $3, SB (VILLAIN) calls $2.50, HERO calls $2, MP3 calls $2.

Flop: ($15) 3s, Js, 7h (5 players)
VILLAIN checks, HERO bets $5, MP3 folds, CO calls $5, Button folds, VILLAIN raises to $25, HERO bets $127.79 (All-In), CO folds, VILLAIN bets $116.8 (All-In).

Turn: ($264.59) 3h (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($264.59) 7s (2 players, 2 all-in)

Final Pot: $264.59

VILLAIN has As 2s (flush, ace high).
HERO has Jd 6d (two pair, jacks and sevens).
Outcome: VILLAIN wins $253.60. HERO wins $10.99. [/spoiler]

if you always play top pair like this then its a good call

M E A T Y
May 2, 2005

so secure

madrappin posted:

http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcfAwsTFxc3Ax8TExMXGwIjAwsXBxcI%3d

Well, I assume I played this one like poo poo because I didn't get paid off. I felt like I should have raised preflop and bet the turn. The reraise on the flop is probably terrible. Now that I think about it so is the overbet on the river. Anyone agree?

the raise on the flop was far and away the best play you made in the hand. you want to be building the pot, especially against people with loose calling ranges like at microstakes. bet the turn, bet the river

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

40 OZ posted:

Yes.

what the gently caress. i seriously hope villain is insane otherwise you just like lighting money on fire.

Tuningfork
Apr 12, 2007
My cool? What about my cool?

Oh wait, I guess YOU'RE an illiterate chimp.

40 OZ posted:

Yes.

Bodog No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed)

I don't understand what the point of posting this hand was.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
I just posted it because it has a overbet and it is a retarded hand. It wasn't for analysis.

The guy was a complete maniac and he played a flush draw the same way earlier. I was 99% sure I had the best hand, so I got it in.

edit- No I don't play J6s, etc.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 13, 2007

Malrick
Sep 29, 2006

Excelsior!
Okay this hand is kind of an abortion but I wanted to ask about my pre-flop play but feel free to comment on any part of the hand.

http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/Default.aspx?Hand=xcfAwsTFxc3MxMTExcHMw4jHxsfCwME%3d

I raised pre-flop to try and isolate the SB. I figured my odds were better with just one player in the pot. Was this a bad play? Should I have just checked and saw the flop? I probably don't get it all in if I just check.

On the flop, I was c-beting. In retrospect I had been c-beting a lot and it was probably a bad idea here.

On the turn, I really don't know what I was thinking Toodles had been calling lot of c-bet only to fold to bets on the turn, I was thinking he was on a flush draw. I really didn't have a read on glum as this was his second hand.

Delysid
Jul 31, 2003

need another damn shooter
Looks pretty standard to me. In 6-max there's absolutely nothing wrong with pumping it up with AT from the big blind in a limped pot (poo poo I do that at full ring a lot of the time too.) You're going to isolate against the limper more often than the SB but it's still a totally valid spot to throw in a raise. The c-bet is also fine, as is the turn bet, you just happened to run into a set. On the turn there's no reason to worry that you're outkicked, the only hands you have to worry about are something like A6 or a slowplayed set, which are both pretty rare.

edit: I guess if anything I'd c-bet a little smaller on the flop, like 2/3 pot, and fold to a raise obviously. Lots of top pair type hands will just smooth call a pot bet but will raise a smaller one so you're not tempted to fire another barrel on the turn if they call the flop and the turn doesn't hit you.

Also I'm pretty sure Mr. Toodles is a goon which of course means BET BET BET because goons are nits (at least that's how I play on Cake when I spot one heh.)

Delysid fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 13, 2007

Jelly!
Feb 15, 2007

pAPYruS mEMBeR
your play was pretty standard. I might have checked the turn though, 2 callers to turn... meh

Tuningfork
Apr 12, 2007

40 OZ posted:

I just posted it because it has a overbet and it is a retarded hand. It wasn't for analysis.

The guy was a complete maniac and he played a flush draw the same way earlier. I was 99% sure I had the best hand, so I got it in.

edit- No I don't play J6s, etc.

You didn't have the best hand, it's like 50% equity either way.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Your cool posted:

You didn't have the best hand, it's like 50% equity either way.

well, it's pretty hard to argue that Jd 6d is not a 55-45 favorite over As 2s on that board, but getting 120BBs in with As 2s is like 10000000000x times better than getting 120BBs in with Jd 6d there, if that makes any sense.

ZeroStar
Dec 18, 2006
:[
Hand #1347011493000447: Calgary (6-Max) 11493
Seat 1: beatin on it (20.40 in chips)
Seat 2: ArkadyRenko (82.05 in chips)
Seat 3: Geoshnas (31.00 in chips)
Seat 8: Sagwa (28.76 in chips)
Seat 9: PokerDog1988 (15.65 in chips)
Seat 10: ZeroStar (20.00 in chips)
PokerDog1988: posts small blind $0.10
ZeroStar: posts big blind $0.20
Dealt to ZeroStar [ 2s Th ]
beatin on it: folds
ArkadyRenko: folds
Geoshnas: folds
Sagwa: calls
PokerDog1988: calls
ZeroStar: checks
*** FLOP *** [ Td Qs Ts ]
PokerDog1988: checks
ZeroStar: bets $0.50
Sagwa: raises to $2.10
PokerDog1988: folds
ZeroStar: calls
*** TURN *** [ 9d ]
Sagwa: checks
*** RIVER *** [ 8s ]

I just sat down a few hands ago but it seems like villain is pretty aggressive, opening PF a fair deal and I have seen him cbet a scary board only to check behind turn and fold to a bet on the river.

He has made a pretty big raise here, and I absolutely think I'm ahead, but I think a raise will make him fold. I'm putting his range on most likely Q8+, and all the open enders and FDs to a smaller extent. I have seen this villain limp exactly Q8o in this position so I know weak Qs are part of his range.

Turn is a bad card so I check intending to call or raise, I am probably never folding because he is aggressive. River is the (almost) absolute worst card that could come off so I check and probably fold to a fair sized bet.

Should I lead turn as played? With my given reads is a flop reraise ever good?

schlaufux
Apr 28, 2007
just no stupid newbie k?

ZeroStar posted:

I'd lead turn with a PSB and fold if he raises again.
If he calls then the river puts you in a lovely spot, I'd probably c/f because I'm a huge nit.
Looking forward to some better players commenting on this.

madrappin
Dec 5, 2006

Solar, wind power, and knives! Green Team!
http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcfAzMTFxc3Ax8TExMbAxIjAwsXBxcI%3d

I c-bet kind of small to find out where I was at. Played correctly?

Pizzlefish
Jun 8, 2005

madrappin posted:

http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcfAzMTFxc3Ax8TExMbAxIjAwsXBxcI%3d

I c-bet kind of small to find out where I was at. Played correctly?

A small c-bet like that doesn't tell you anything, especially at ultra low stakes. You are giving them ~3-1 so they will be calling with almost any 2 even if they are looking at odds, which most of them aren't. All you really did there is inflate the pot with a weak hand. You can dump to any reraise cheaply, true, but if you do that a lot you are giving away the strength of your hand and people will start reraising you when you bet light like that. Bet around 3/4ths pot+ and make them think about it.

After the turn, It is pretty much automatic. You have to at least call and cry. I would probably just push over the top. If the guy acting after you is going to call a potbet, he will call your push and if he folds you will be putting the rest in on any river card anyway. If this wasn't micro, you can pretty much know you are beat when the third guy pushes over the top of you against 2 pot sized bets ahead of him and both of you locked into the hand, but it would still be a pretty hard laydown.

Pizzlefish fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 14, 2007

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

ZeroStar posted:

Hand #1347011493000447: Calgary (6-Max) 11493
Seat 1: beatin on it (20.40 in chips)
Seat 2: ArkadyRenko (82.05 in chips)
Seat 3: Geoshnas (31.00 in chips)
Seat 8: Sagwa (28.76 in chips)
Seat 9: PokerDog1988 (15.65 in chips)
Seat 10: ZeroStar (20.00 in chips)
PokerDog1988: posts small blind $0.10
ZeroStar: posts big blind $0.20
Dealt to ZeroStar [ 2s Th ]
beatin on it: folds
ArkadyRenko: folds
Geoshnas: folds
Sagwa: calls
PokerDog1988: calls
*** FLOP *** [ Td Qs Ts ]
PokerDog1988: checks
ZeroStar: bets $0.50
Sagwa: raises to $2.10
PokerDog1988: folds
ZeroStar: calls
*** TURN *** [ 9d ]
*** RIVER *** [ 8s ]

I just sat down a few hands ago but it seems like villain is pretty aggressive, opening PF a fair deal and I have seen him cbet a scary board only to check behind turn and fold to a bet on the river.

He has made a pretty big raise here, and I absolutely think I'm ahead, but I think a raise will make him fold. I'm putting his range on most likely Q8+, and all the open enders and FDs to a smaller extent. I have seen this villain limp exactly Q8o in this position so I know weak Qs are part of his range.

Turn is a bad card so I check intending to call or raise, I am probably never folding because he is aggressive. River is the (almost) absolute worst card that could come off so I check and probably fold to a fair sized bet.

Bet the turn, it changes almost thing (only hand it helps is 99, JK, you're already losing to T9o. River I bet/fold if stack sizes allow it after a turn bet, otherwise I bet/call.

Go Go Gadget
Sep 24, 2004
http://www.pokerhand.org/?1813233

I'm biased because I know the results, but what hand does villain represent here. I had him on a JJ, KQ, AK and played as such. This is an instacall right?

Go Go Gadget fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 15, 2007

M E A T Y
May 2, 2005

so secure

Go Go Gadget posted:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1813233

I'm biased because I know the results, but what hand does villain represent here. I had him on a JJ, KQ, AK and played as such. This is an instacall right?

im always always against nitty plays but i think i could find a fold here even with the great odds were getting. c/c c/c donk river is almost always in my experience a set or a draw that hit. im thinking 22, 33, and 45 are a very large part of his range. cant see what he could have possibly made a backdoor flush with besides 45cc. i cant see us being ahead of too much given the way the hand played out and i probably fold half the time because i think its the right play and call half the time because the odds are so excellent. im almost never checking behind on this turn but im most likely betting it smaller

edit: i never played nl25 and the lowest stakes i can really try to remember the typical player's tendencies at is nl100 so take that for what it is.

M E A T Y fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 15, 2007

Go Go Gadget
Sep 24, 2004
Well I tried to give awful pot odds to call on the turn with any draw, but it didn't slow him down at all. Is 11 a decent bet size here?

M E A T Y
May 2, 2005

so secure

Go Go Gadget posted:

Well I tried to give awful pot odds to call on the turn with any draw, but it didn't slow him down at all. Is 11 a decent bet size here?

well its kind of counter intuitive because you dont have a full stack. if a guy is going to call a pot sized bet with a draw, let him, the more he calls off with bad odds the better. however, you have to be able to not pay him off when he hits the majority of the time also. because you dont have a full stack your getting such better odds to call on the river, so you should think about betting smaller on the turn so you can get away from the hand should something become fishy. its not a bad bet by any means it just makes it a lot harder to get away when it seems like youre beaten

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

M E A T Y posted:

well its kind of counter intuitive because you dont have a full stack. if a guy is going to call a pot sized bet with a draw, let him, the more he calls off with bad odds the better. however, you have to be able to not pay him off when he hits the majority of the time also. because you dont have a full stack your getting such better odds to call on the river, so you should think about betting smaller on the turn so you can get away from the hand should something become fishy. its not a bad bet by any means it just makes it a lot harder to get away when it seems like youre beaten

they are 150BB deep. anyways OP is beaten a lot on the river but I can't find a fold getting those odds + the small chance that villain is vbetting a worse hand.

M E A T Y
May 2, 2005

so secure

blah_blah posted:

they are 150BB deep. anyways OP is beaten a lot on the river but I can't find a fold getting those odds + the small chance that villain is vbetting a worse hand.

weird i knew it was nl25 too i just didnt get the stack sizes and the limit to mesh but yeah my main point was that villains range is ahead here and potting the flop and turn make it hard to get away on the river

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

NL200 Live

Am dealt K:s: J:s: on the button. Four limpers, and I raise to $15.

I get calls in the small blind, early position, and late position.

Flop comes K:c: J:c: 2:d:

Is checked around to me, and I bet out $25.
Small blind raises to $50; all fold to me.

No reads on the SB, as this is our second hand at the table.
I've got $100 remaining, and he's got me covered.

I... ?

(In retrospect I do need to bet more on the flop on such a drawy board. Pot is $65 or so there. But how do I respond to this check-minraise?)

edit: Also, is pre-flop raise appropriately sized? Big blind is $3.
edited for clarity, too!

srsly fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 16, 2007

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Just push

schlaufux
Apr 28, 2007
just no stupid newbie k?

mrtoodles posted:

NL200 Live

I've got $100, and he's got me covered.

I... ?

(In retrospect I do need to bet more on the flop on such a drawy board. Pot is $65 or so there. But how do I respond to this check-minraise?)

I tend to only call pre-flop here at least 50% of the time because in live play people usually limp strong (i don't know if this is true/good thinking at all).
As played, I wouldn't give SB too much credit here and usually 3bet, although with your stack this means shoving. In other news I'm a scared nit so this is partly because I'd be afraid of making mistakes later on if a 3rd club hits or whatever and wanting to take this down right there.
Do you mean you started the hand with 100$ or you got $100 left on turn? If it's the former you might as well shove right there, you're going all the way anyway.

Edit: On the flop I'd raise at least $40 here too.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

pf is fine, bet $40ish on the flop, as played shove over his minraise. Sucks if he has 222.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

mrtoodles posted:

NL200 Live

Thanks for the replies. I more or less insta-shoved, and he of course called with 22. I beat myself up for just a moment afterwards for not thinking it through a bit more, but it just felt like such an automatic play. I really only posted here to vindicate myself, which you've done nicely for me.

The lovely thing is, I'd waited for 45 minutes for a table, had already told myself I wasn't rebuying (happened to be staying at a hotel around the corner, so no biggy going "home"), and busted out on my second hand.

Silly variance:
I'd ordered a diet coke when I sat down at the table and it still hadn't come when this guy stacked me. I just wanted to get the gently caress out of the cardroom, and didn't have any more cash on me, so I asked the guy as I stood up to leave, "Hey, can you pick up my diet soda when it gets here?" He said yes. He seemed really nice.

srsly fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 17, 2007

Tuningfork
Apr 12, 2007

mrtoodles posted:

NL200 Live

I've got $100 remaining, and he's got me covered.

I... ?

edited for clarity, too!

Well I agree with others, just push.

But I'm curious, what did the dude have with such a weak raise?

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

mrtoodles posted:

The lovely thing is, I'd waited for 45 minutes for a table, had already told myself I wasn't rebuying (happened to be staying at a hotel around the corner, so no biggy going "home"), and busted out on my second hand.

I got set over setted on like my 10th hand at the table the first time I ever played live. gently caress live poker.

Also, villain semi-slowrolled me with the nuts.

Biggy_
Jan 17, 2006

boom boom boom let me hear you say bale BALE
Seat 1: mkrisz (14.70 in chips)
Seat 2: toniteizurs (33.89 in chips)
Seat 3: ultimatebike (24.40 in chips)
Seat 8: Sincere (20.90 in chips)
Seat 9: PashaNS (13.15 in chips)
Seat 10: Maksam (24.55 in chips)
toniteizurs: posts small blind $0.10
ultimatebike: posts big blind $0.20
Dealt to ultimatebike [ 7s 9d ]
Sincere: folds
PashaNS: calls
Maksam: folds
mkrisz: calls
toniteizurs: calls
ultimatebike: checks
*** FLOP *** [ 9s 4h 7c ]
toniteizurs: bets $0.80
ultimatebike: raises to $3.20
PashaNS: folds
mkrisz: folds
toniteizurs: calls
*** TURN *** [ Kh ]
toniteizurs: checks
ultimatebike: checks
*** RIVER *** [ Td ]
toniteizurs: checks
ultimatebike: bets $3.50
toniteizurs: raises to $17.70
ultimatebike: ????

Had no idea what to do on the river.. Had no history with him except he called my 3bet from the small blind on the button and insta potted a QQK flop a while before.

Biggy_ fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 17, 2007

Piss Man 94
Jun 11, 2003
If he's a crap player it's a fold, if he's a good player it's 50/50. I'd fold.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
His line is strange but I can't seem him doing this with a worse hand.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

you have to call simply because you bet so small on the river and may have induced a bluff. if you have bet closer to potsize i might find a fold but as the hand played out it it looks like you have a weak hand that was playing for pot control on the turn or a busted draw. Your line looks so full of poo poo that if he can get aggro at all you have to pay him off

You should also bet this turn like 100% of the time

Tuningfork
Apr 12, 2007

menth0l posted:

If he's a crap player it's a fold, if he's a good player it's 50/50. I'd fold.

Why is it a fold if it's a crap player? Or why do you call more if it's a good player.. in that case I'd suspect something better.

ultimatemike
May 10, 2005

Little Joe? Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Your cool posted:

Why is it a fold if it's a crap player? Or why do you call more if it's a good player.. in that case I'd suspect something better.

Because a good player knows that board is scary & that you've shown no strength and could try to push you off with a worse hand.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
How much do you like QQ?

.50/$1, first to act. I raise $3. A middle position then raises it $10. This player has not been playing a lot of pots, and last showed down quad nines. Everyone else folds. Am I being a huge nit thinking about folding here?

edit: I should add that I've been playing tight and showing quality as well.

NarkyBark fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 18, 2007

schlaufux
Apr 28, 2007
just no stupid newbie k?

NarkyBark posted:

How much do you like QQ?

.50/$1, first to act. I raise $3. A middle position then raises it $10. This player has not been playing a lot of pots, and last showed down quad nines. Everyone else folds. Am I being a huge nit thinking about folding here?

If he's the tightest weakest player ever who never ever raises preflop and is completely incapable of making any moves I might be able to find a fold there.

Also:
Beat: Almost exact same thing happened to me last week, I 3bet 2.5x his raise, villain insta-pushed, I tanked and called despite knowing better, villain turned over AA :v:
Variance: Hit a queen on the flop, another one on the turn, gg Aces

schlaufux fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 18, 2007

Piss Man 94
Jun 11, 2003

ultimatemike posted:

Because a good player knows that board is scary & that you've shown no strength and could try to push you off with a worse hand.

Bingo. After how you played that I'd have raised you on the river with any two cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biggy_
Jan 17, 2006

boom boom boom let me hear you say bale BALE
I did end up calling after thinking about, was going to post the hand whatever happened. I was thinking he'd show up with something along the lines of kj or kq.. maybe ak.

So I call and he flips up KK, wp

• Locked thread