Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

In my spare time I hypnotize bunnies.

theflosquito posted:

There is one right by the end of the couch, maybe 4 feet away from him at the time.

I can totally understand that pets have accidents, but I'm a little concerned that he gave no indication he was going to pee when he is usually so good.

I will stop with the water gun though. Pickle seems happy again, we had a little cuddle late last night and he seemed happy again.

Ah okay, it sounded like you had to go "get" the water gun. Anyways, yeah, I can't tell when my buns are going to have accidents. It's only happened once, since March though, hopefully it won't happen again to you for awhile.

I'm glad he's not mad at you anymore :) Bunnies do hold grudges! Haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalBiscuit
Sep 17, 2007
Well Kiki and Jiki are progressing nicely. I promised you lot pics didn't I? I'll try and track down a camera of some description tomorrow.

Jiki is almost to the point of being free to roam the house at all hours. While she doesn't nibble cables or carpet she will go for books and paper. We solved this by giving her more people to play with and tear in her cage, and stamping our feet every time we saw her biting something she shouldn't, she seems to have gotten the message. She will also only pee in her cage, and leaves very few droppings around the place, so I'm happy just to clean up after her.

Meanwhile I had to backtrack Kiki's litter training since it seems like we gave him too much freedom too fast, so he had no idea where was ok to do his business and where wasn't. He's been given a lot more cage time, with short, supervised runs in the front-room. Since his cage is the size of a small battleship, I don't really feel too badly about that. As a result we've been able to determine where he likes to go and do his business in the cage and plan accordingly. When his littertray was in the corner, he ignored it, and instead piled up a great wad of droppings right next to it. I let it deliberately pile up for a while, then cleaned his cage with the trusty hand-vac, and moved the tray to that location. As a result, he's going in the tray much more.

I'm going to buy a few more identical trays and see if we can get him to do the same in areas of the livingroom.

Sadly the two still have to be kept apart since I can't afford to get him fixed. It's sad, because they'll lie next to each other, one inside the cage, one outside, but if we let them in together, Kiki's natural instincts take over. Last time we tried to do that he took a chunk of fur out of Jiki, so no more of that until he's thoroughly sorted out.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
My parents bought me two bunnies when I was a child, and they were kept outside, in a hutch inside a shed. At some point, the rabbits "went away"...I'm pretty sure my parents sold them for meat. Everything I do in regards to animals now is almost the polar opposite of what my parents told me.

I haven't had rabbits since, though I've had just about every other animal. I'm not terribly drawn to them and most of my time is taken up by ferrets, cats and dogs. However, today there was an ad in a local-ish Craigslist from someone who needed a home for her bunny for a few months. I offered my house as a last-ditch situation, since I don't think I can offer as much out of cage time as she should get, but it'd still be better than going to a shelter or being put to sleep, as long as the owner really comes back to get her in a few months.

The rabbit is 4-5 years old and I'm not sure if she's spayed or not, though I did ask in my email. I haven't heard anything back yet...I kind of hope she finds another home. I don't need to expand my horizons from ferret to rabbit rescue, especially since their needs are so radically different, but I can't see letting an animal be put to sleep just because the owner is in a tough spot for a little while.

Kur0
Dec 13, 2002

You know, I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothin', but I think Depeche Mode is a sweet band.
Guh, I'm a dumbass and accidentally grabbed a package of alfalfa hay cubes instead of timothy hay cubes for the buns to nibble on while they're out and about. Tofu is still a little guy so I think the alfalfa is okay for him, but Komugi is an adult rabbit, and I understand that alfalfa has too much calcium for adult rabbits. I already opened the package and tossed them one before getting a good look at the package, so I can't take it back to the store. :doh:

Is it okay for them to have one every once in a while as a treat? I don't want 'em to go to waste. :sigh:

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Kur0 posted:

Is it okay for them to have one every once in a while as a treat? I don't want 'em to go to waste. :sigh:

If it's just those little cubes, I would think it'd be fine every once in awhile.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So after reading this entire thread today and most of the information rabbit.org, I had a few questions. I just bought a new house and grew up all my life with 2 cats. Right now I am debating between getting 2 kittens or 2 rabbits. I understand that rabbits take quite a bit more patience and care, but they seem like extremely interesting creatures. On to my questions.

How do rabbits react to stairs? I have plenty of room to build them a nice cage, but I would ultimately like to leave the cage door open and allow them to free roam. Problem is, I have a flight of stairs that has an open back (just the step, no wood/carpet on the back). Would this pose a potential problem for a rabbit? Would it be dangerous or would they most likely stay away? Or would they just hop up them no problem?

My other question is, my entire house is tile except the stairs and my upstairs bedroom. I have seen several mentions here that rabbits do not like hardwood floor. Does this apply to tile as well? Do they absolutely hate tile/wood floor to the point where they will not walk/lay on it, or is it simply a minor annoyance to them? It would not be out of the question to get them a decent sized area rug if that would help.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
My rabbits almost never touch the tile in my kitchen. Occasionally Annie will walk slowly into it, but I can tell she doesn't like it, because if she needs to run, she knows she cant. Rabbits get all their grip from their nails, their paws are fuzz. So on smooth surfaces they just slide. That would be a worry about your stairs too, if they aren't carpeted and have no back, if something scared them they could slide right through the stairs. From the sound of your house, I'd recommend a cat, since as far as I know, cats don't mind the type of floor nearly as much, and can handle a fall from a stair much better. If the stairs are carpeted, the rabbits will never slip. Their grip is amazing on carpet :)

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
I don't understand why you'd get rabbits instead of cats. Rabbits and cats, maybe, but you just don't get the cuddle factor of cats with rabbits. Nothing against rabbits, and they're perfect if you don't want an attention whore kitty, but I myself love fuzzy attention whores.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

My Jack will walk on the hardwood, but he doesn't like to. Lucy won't set paw on it.

I am Dan I am
Jun 30, 2007
WHAT A GREAT VALENTINE'S DAY GIFT

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

I don't understand why you'd get rabbits instead of cats. Rabbits and cats, maybe, but you just don't get the cuddle factor of cats with rabbits. Nothing against rabbits, and they're perfect if you don't want an attention whore kitty, but I myself love fuzzy attention whores.

My bun cuddles with me :mad:

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

I am Dan I am posted:

My bun cuddles with me :mad:

If your rabbit cuddles with you on the same level as a cat does (I'm typing with a kitten draped across me), then you have an unusual rabbit. I'm not saying rabbits are bad pets by any means. They're just very different from cats. Just like I love ferrets, but would never trade my cats for ferrets - ferrets bounce about and are cute, but are not terribly cuddly. A couple of my ferrets will let you scratch and rub them and stay with you, but they're the exception to the rule. That's why I have both cats and ferrets. I'd add bunnies to it, but my resources are spent on what I've got already.

I am Dan I am
Jun 30, 2007
WHAT A GREAT VALENTINE'S DAY GIFT

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

If your rabbit cuddles with you on the same level as a cat does (I'm typing with a kitten draped across me), then you have an unusual rabbit. I'm not saying rabbits are bad pets by any means. They're just very different from cats. Just like I love ferrets, but would never trade my cats for ferrets - ferrets bounce about and are cute, but are not terribly cuddly. A couple of my ferrets will let you scratch and rub them and stay with you, but they're the exception to the rule. That's why I have both cats and ferrets. I'd add bunnies to it, but my resources are spent on what I've got already.

I exaggerate, heh. It's more like he'll be content to lay across my lap while I watch TV and brush him. He is a big, fat, slow angora though. He generally doesn't nuzzle like a cat would, alas.

You Are
Dec 1, 2006

We Todd Ed.
I received a very good response from Alucinor regarding an inquiry about rabbit neuters. I expected a short sentence or two, but this information is too valuable to be kept in my Private Messages box. Hopefully, it will aid others that are interested in rabbits, and educate everyone else a bit on vets/rescue clinics. I can't thank Alucinor enough. I'm much more aware of my options regarding adoption centers AND veterinary clinics. Alucinor's response can also be viewed as the summation of a few other informative posts that are scattered here and there throughout this thread and PI, so ideally, folks can get a few questions answered without searching too hard. Hope this helps.

alucinor posted:

$140 is actually pretty reasonable for a rabbit neuter. I get a rescue discount, and I still pay over $100 for a spay. The best vet in my area charges over $200 for a neuter, $250 for a spay.

All exotic medicine is more expensive than dog/cat medicine, for two reasons: first, because they require specialized, smaller equipment, and often they require a more labor-intensive surgery because they are so prone to post-op infecion. For example, you can go out and lop off a cat's nuts while wearing your street clothes and the cat laying on an old towel... the testes are external and not likely to be wiped on the ground that much, so you don't have to be super cautious. But for a rabbit neuter, you have to maintain a sterile surgical field (gown, mask, gloves, drape over the rabbit, whole 9 yards) because their nuts are partially internal, and they sit on them, in a filthy litterbox, about 20 hours out of the day. You also have to use a more complex procedure (tying off the inguinal ring, etc) and special anesthesia equipment (a cat mask won't fit a rabbit). All that extra equipment and time adds up to more $$.

The second reason is that rabbit medicine isn't taught in vet school. My rabbit-savvy friend is in her 3rd year and hasn't even had rabbit gross anatomy, much less rabbit surgical procedures. So most vets who want to do rabbit work have to get an exotic specialty, which means extra schooling, which means more loans... you see where this is going. Going to an exotics vet is not dissimilar to going to a brain surgeon. It costs more, but you really don't want a general practitioner loving around in there.

It's pretty hard to find low cost S/N for exotics, and frankly, I'd worry that cheap = less sterile. I've had students do my rescue neuters under less than sterile conditions, and ended up with abscesses that required an expensive course of treatment to clear up. Some cheap vets assume the surgery is the same and end up making procedural mistakes, or using the wrong kind of anesthesia. So over all, you get what you pay for. Of course, you might be lucky and find someone who has all his loans paid off and is doing cheap surgeries for good karma... if so, great!

So yes, that's definitely why adopting an animal from a rescue is a good bargain. Most rescues LOSE money on every animal; I typically spend $250 per intake (pre-adoption vet care, quarantine care, and spay/neuter) and I only charge $70 for a rabbit. You might pay as much as $100-$120 to adopt depending on where you are located, but that's very uncommon, and you can at least console yourself that your animal is DEFINITELY healthy and has no post-neuter complications you'll have to pay for. So it's definitely cheaper for the adopter than buying an intact animal and paying for the surgeries yourself! But, not all rescues are alike. Feel free to inquire extensively about the animal's vet record prior to finalizing the adoption. They are making you promise to take excellent care of the animal, you have a right to make sure that THEY have taken excellent care prior to the animal coming to you. Several people on here have adopted from crappy county shelters where they've gotten pregnant "males" or animals who have never even been vetted. It's not a problem for you to insist on knowing what you're getting into, and a reputable rescue will respect you for your concern.

I'm really glad you're finding the info helpful! After 7 years in rescue I'm getting burnt out; SA is one of the last places where I feel that I can actually provide education to people who care and who listen. The rest of the time I feel like I'm pissing into the wind. So it's a nice change and I'm glad to help!

You Are
Dec 1, 2006

We Todd Ed.

Internet Explorer posted:

How do rabbits react to stairs? I have plenty of room to build them a nice cage, but I would ultimately like to leave the cage door open and allow them to free roam. Problem is, I have a flight of stairs that has an open back (just the step, no wood/carpet on the back). Would this pose a potential problem for a rabbit? Would it be dangerous or would they most likely stay away? Or would they just hop up them no problem?

I've never seen stairs with open verticals outside of a basement before. It shouldn't be a problem if they wanted to go up, though. Carpeted or cement steps are good. You can also purchase covers (or make them yourself) for the steps. The lack of a backing makes this easier and cheaper to do.

The rabbits I've had love to run upstairs. But they'd sit there at the top and wait for me to pick them up to go downstairs again. You might just want them to be kept upstairs. Or keep a ramp to the side of the stairs so they can move freely. (And you wouldn't be worried about any backing.)

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

You Are posted:

The rabbits I've had love to run upstairs. But they'd sit there at the top and wait for me to pick them up to go downstairs again. You might just want them to be kept upstairs. Or keep a ramp to the side of the stairs so they can move freely. (And you wouldn't be worried about any backing.)

This commonly greets me when I leave my bedroom. He has no problems going up and down the stairs. I think the carpeting helps though, I can imagine he'd want carrying back down if the stairs were at all slippy.

Edit: yes I know, I have hideous carpet.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
But a very cute rabbit. :D

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

shmee posted:

Soo cute!

Debbie and Murphy love running up and down the steps, and will sometimes chase the cats up and down as well(good exercise for the fat cats!). The whole apartment is carpeted, save for the kitchen, bathroom and foyer area Those are tile. They are also off limits to the rabbits, but Murphy did enjoy running into the kitchen and sliding across the tile floor. I hated taking that away from him, but I don't want him eating scraps or bits of whatever may fall under a cupboard.

Despite the stairs being carpeted, Murphy has had a few hilarious, yet scary, falls on his way down. He seems to forget to turn at the bottom for the last three steps and will instead careen into the wall cartoon style. I need to put up a cushion or something before he really gets hurt. On a whole though both rabbits seem to have fun on steps, especiall chasing, or being chased on them.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Damnit, now right as I have convinced my mom that no, we cannot split up the rabbits, Cowslip goes on a bender. :P She's now convinced that it is her given right to mount Momiji all the time and has started yanking out fur on his back. Mo's definitely the sub in this, and he runs away and often tries to hide from her.

Is Cowslip just having her terrible teenage (she's about six months old now) spurt, or am I going to have to find her a new home? Mo has become a lot more withdrawn since I've started packing up to move (we'll be at our new place this coming Monday but have been sending small stuff out the past week, so the house is all rearranged) and I can't tell if it's because of that, or that and Cowslip being a bitch.

TotalBiscuit
Sep 17, 2007

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

Cats in my experience are, quite frankly, fickle, irritating and often spiteful. They're not particularly loving animals, and pretty much know how to exploit you for what they want at the time and then wander off looking disinterested. Very pretentious animals.

At least bunnies are upfront and honest.

"You are big, you may eat me, I am scared of you. I want some food, let's eat this cable"

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

TotalBiscuit posted:

Cats in my experience are, quite frankly, fickle, irritating and often spiteful. They're not particularly loving animals, and pretty much know how to exploit you for what they want at the time and then wander off looking disinterested. Very pretentious animals.

You sort of met the wrong kitties, I have to say. Cats just act like jerks when they aren't used to you.

Ok, they are kind of spiteful, I'll give you that.

Man, this thread makes me want a fluffy bun so much, but I don't have the time, space, pet-friendly lease or roommate to do it.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

TotalBiscuit posted:

What in the hell are you smoking? I have a kitten purring in front of me, obscuring my keyboard, a Siamese purring on my back, and my 2 year old girl kitty just jumped on my head. They're all about attention and being scratched and petted and loved.

Let me guess...you met cats that go outdoors.

TotalBiscuit
Sep 17, 2007

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

What in the hell are you smoking? I have a kitten purring in front of me, obscuring my keyboard, a Siamese purring on my back, and my 2 year old girl kitty just jumped on my head. They're all about attention and being scratched and petted and loved.

I've had cats my entire life, in a house with 2 dogs, 2 hamsters and 2 rabbits. Needless to say my experience has been quite different to yours. I heard this can happen without the need for illegal drugs, though the vast knowledge of Somethingawful will clearly indicate otherwise.

Needless to say, I'm not a cat fan.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Cowslips Warren posted:

Damnit, now right as I have convinced my mom that no, we cannot split up the rabbits, Cowslip goes on a bender.

Remind me if they are both altered?

You Are: ;-*

TotalBiscuit posted:

Cats in my experience are, quite frankly, fickle, irritating and often spiteful. They're not particularly loving animals, and pretty much know how to exploit you for what they want at the time and then wander off looking disinterested.

This could also exactly describe rabbits. Neither my most loving cat nor my most affectionate rabbit would give a poo poo for me if I would just invent an automatic litterbox which dispenses food and is also a petting machine which projects a square of sunlight onto the floor.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

alucinor posted:

Remind me if they are both altered?

You Are: ;-*

This could also exactly describe rabbits. Neither my most loving cat nor my most affectionate rabbit would give a poo poo for me if I would just invent an automatic litterbox which dispenses food and is also a petting machine which projects a square of sunlight onto the floor.

Mo is, Cowslip is not yet. Problem solved if I get her done?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Cowslips Warren posted:

Hah. Yes, exactly. I cannot stress enough how many rabbit behavioral problems are solved by spay/neuter. Get her spayed and she'll be back to normal inside of 6 weeks.

You Are
Dec 1, 2006

We Todd Ed.

Cowslips Warren posted:

The sooner you get her spayed, the better. It's necessary anyways. (Females are 75% likely to get cancer if they're not spayed.) Don't hold it off. Plus, once you wait around to get her spayed, she might hold on to old annoying habits. Lop off her easter basket ASAP.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Aaaaaand the award for the Retard of the Year goes to me.

I just grabbed Cowslip off of Mo now, and had one of those moments of utter clarity when I realized that I am a loving moron. To quote Family Guy: "It's a girl...but it has a penis."

Yes, I somehow totally missed Cowslip's testicles. Someone will be missing those permanently soon!

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Cowslips Warren posted:

"It's a girl...but it has a penis."

:lol:

Just for my curiosity, who told you he was a girl, and did anyone else ever confirm/deny the initial finding? I collect stories of people who misinform owners about an animal's sex, and need to know which gun(s) to notch.

An ex-vet of mine once told me that he couldn't neuter my rabbit because she was a girl. I had to show him the balls. God that was embarrassing on both sides. He was a darling old man, emphasis on old, and thankfully he retired with still a fair amount of dignity a few years later.

Keep in mind that boy-boy bonding can sometimes be more difficult than boy-girl. It sounds like they may be young enough that it won't matter, but I'd advise you read up on difficult bonding situations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Cowslip is going in next week for the snipsnip.

His past owner said it was a girl, and I checked, saw no testicles, and figured they were right. Teaches me not to fondle a drat rabbit when his entire rump is black fur and his scrotum is too.

No wonder poor Mo was freaking out....I wouldn't want a "girl" attacking me with that!

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

My rabbit will run in circles around me for several minutes when I get home while hooting joyfully. And he'll ignore his dinner to do so. When he wants attention he'll jump into my lap and present his nose to be rubbed or licks my face until I give in. His favourite toy is a towel. He chases after it when I drag it across the floor and sits on it.

When I want something that yowls, fights and drags dead animals into my kitchen I'll get a cat.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

NMR posted:

When I want something that yowls, fights and drags dead animals into my kitchen I'll get a cat.

Your bunny stays inside, your cat goes out. It's not exactly rocket science to figure out why your bunny likes you and your cat couldn't care less. You force the bunny to see you as its only friend. The cat knows you're a dick.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

Your bunny stays inside, your cat goes out. It's not exactly rocket science to figure out why your bunny likes you and your cat couldn't care less. You force the bunny to see you as its only friend. The cat knows you're a dick.

I thought you said you keep your cat inside? Not sure I'm seeing a difference here. Anyway I'm not planning to argue over this. I just don't like cats and that's it.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

NMR posted:

I thought you said you keep your cat inside? Not sure I'm seeing a difference here. Anyway I'm not planning to argue over this. I just don't like cats and that's it.

I do. If you treated your cat like you treat your rabbit, you'd probably get at least similar responses out of them. You do not. You don't like apples because you drop them on the floor. You like oranges because they don't have any bruises on them.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I really don't think there's any comparison to be made here. I'm not going to find out what it's like to have a cat because I don't like them. I'm not a big fan of any animal that kills other things. I know it's instinct and all but if it's going to be living under my roof it drat well should eat carrots and look cute when it hops.

Well most of the time it eats poo poo and cardboard and destroys my carpet but still I couldn't have asked for a more perfect pet for me.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
Are you a vegetarian? (Serious question)

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Yes and I have been for about 14 years now. I have to say that was also a big deciding factor in what pet to choose.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Internets are srs business and all but can you guys take it to PM or something? I like to read about bunnies, not personal vendettas.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
Agreed. To each their own. Your opinion is just that.

With that, here is my Annie Statue:

And Ben sitting by his newly demolished Christmas present willow ball:

Note how the peeled willow ball is untouched? Yeah that one's been there for MONTHS. I have no idea why they don't like peeled, but I'm never getting them again. Unpeeled4lyfe

TotalBiscuit
Sep 17, 2007

okiecompy posted:

Internets are srs business and all but can you guys take it to PM or something? I like to read about bunnies, not personal vendettas.

Kinda gotta agree on that one. I don't think any of us come into the House Bunny thread to be jumped on regarding whether or not we like the company of felines.

The day of Kiki's snip draws nearer, I swear he can sense it. Poor guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
Man, you '07s need to chill the gently caress out and remember we're something AWFUL, not somethingfuzzybunny.com. I let it rest, since it turns out that he/she's not actually a hypocrite, just someone I disagree with.

Seriously though, quit being such goddamn pansies.