Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
Ohnoes, you're an '06. I bow down in your greatness. Just because this is SA doesn't mean every thread needs to turn into some e-arguement. There are sections of the forums for that. Anyways, when I joined has nothing to do with how long I've been a part of SA, just when my financial situation got to a point where I was willing to pay 10$ to contribute, But clearly, that means you>us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

As an '04 I declare myself king of this thread and demand that everybody look at this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

As an '07 I humbly accept your reign, and note that mine won't chew shoelaces, but have chewed ONE of the plastic ends off each of my shoe's laces Not both, just one, off every shoe.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
You guys are about as rational and reasonable as most rabbits...y'know, the kind of creature that can freak out so badly it breaks its own back and dies? Now that I think about it...try that.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Dude, go threadshit somewhere else. No one agrees with you here.

Back to the point of this thread-
Pixel-Pon is being a massive bitch and I have no idea why. She growls when I reach down to pet her and is pooing everywhere. She has/had? a usual spot where she went but now she's just going everywhere. Yesterday I was watching a movie in the living room and came back to the den to watch tv and found a nice huge pile of poo right where I like to sit usually. Is she specifically angry at me, because thats how it seems. I haven't done anything different recently... what could be the problem?

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

This sky is not pretty at all. It's rough and masculine. Like me.
Sounds like hormones. I apologize if you'd said this already but is he/she altered?

If that fails...both my rabbits go through mood swings, especially Kiwi. It had to do with what we were feeding her, when we were taking her out to play and how often, and her bonding efforts with our other rabbit. Bunnies get PMS too I guess!

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

She's fixed. I said earlier that she doesn't have a bonded buddy, shes a loner. My mom refuses to get another bunny, maybe she's lonely? We let her out for hours each day and she has free run of the den, dining room and living room. People are around when she's running about and we talk to her and pet her when she lets us. I guess she might be PMSing :< My mom wants to keep her in all day as punishment, but I don't know if this will just make her worse.

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

Mmm I don't know if keeping her in the cage as punishment is that great an idea, but I wish I had better advice to give :(

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

I imagine keeping her in will only make things worse, however, shouldn't she theoretically have way less hormones? How can she PMS? I've never run into anything like that with Annie who was spayed in April. Has anything changed around the house?
Like a new type of music? It could be anything really that she's for some reason sensitive to. Any changes in diet?

My buns don't really seem depressed but I've noticed more and more nuzzling through the cage, so I'm hoping they're missing each other. Ben is almost fully healed now and doing great. I'm going to switch cages on them tonight, to let Ben know that the cage is still just as much his. I miss watching bunny grooming :(.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Well the only change really is me, she stays at my mom's house while I'm at college, and I was home for about a week for the holidays. Is she angry at me because I leave her? She did leave the pile exactly where I usually sit on the futon.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Time for Cowslip to get fixed...but the vet has openings in two weeks (it's a low cost spay/neuter clinic that charged me about $80 for Mo; everyone else around starts at twice or three times that.), so I'm torn between watching Mo get humped every few minutes or keeping Cowslip caged. The latter has been happening more and more with the ongoing move, since Mo leaves alone electric cords, but Cowslip does not, despite Bitter Apple and any kind of covering. drat younger rabbits!

I hope all this blows over once his nuts are gone. I also hope that Mo and Cowslip both don't turn into Angry Bunnies For Life when they are in a cage when I am not at home and not free-range as they used to be. But their new cage is three tiered and looks great...and come spring, they'll have tons of grass outside to eat, and soon, once the backyard gets cleaned up, will have a nice outside play yard too.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

So my bun is 'moody' lately, I think, and I don't know what to do.

First of all, I can't get her litter trained in my room --she refuses to figure out that the pile of blankets and suchlike on the floor is not, in fact, a giant litter box. She's only nominally litter trained, I think: she uses the litter box in the living room, but mostly because it's in the corner where I set down a towel for her to sit/play on. The rest of the living room is hardwood floor (as is all of my apartment) so she's not too fond of leaving the towel area.

She hijacked one of my sweatshirts about a month ago and used to play with it all the time (attempting to dig at it, chewing on it, prancing around it) and she has a rattly ball she somehow likes (oh god the noise; why did I buy that one) but as of late she's less playful and instead just... well, sits there. Curls up next to the chair I usually sit in, pokes her head up every once in a while for a pat or two, and subsides.

Is this depressed bunny behavior? I got her some dangly bird toys to play with and she ignores them; in fact, all she wants to do is chew on power cords (nothing else, incidentally, it has to have a running current through it).

I really want her to stop peeing on my bed. :/

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

In my spare time I hypnotize bunnies.

Tricknee Hacksaw posted:

Bunnies get PMS too I guess!

Haha hell yeah they do. My Lucy has been spayed for about 18 months now and she still has mood swings. There are days where she will just sit in the back of her pen and won't let me pet her (doesn't bite, just hops away) and doesn't want to harrass Jack or anything. Being a girl, I can totally understand those days "I want to be by myself and eat lots of hay and carrots" ..err chocolate ice cream :)

Those days doesn't happen very often for her, maybe once every couple months.

Bunny Midol anyone?

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

In my spare time I hypnotize bunnies.

NMR posted:

As an '04 I declare myself king of this thread and demand that everybody look at this:

I bow to the shoelace eating cuteness O' Great One.

Edit: Grammar.

I am Dan I am
Jun 30, 2007
WHAT A GREAT VALENTINE'S DAY GIFT

NMR posted:

I will raise you

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

awesome pic, too bad you're just another '07 like me.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Well new year's eve is approaching and I'm getting a little worried about how he's going to respond to the fireworks and all. It's his first new year and rabbits can die of heart attacks so really I can't help but worry. After hearing all kinds of stories from my friends about having to sedate cats and dogs because they'd go completely insane otherwise...

Has anybody here had a lot of problems with rabbits during new years or American 4th of July in an urban area? Mine doesn't get startled easily so it's probably nothing but still.

I am Dan I am posted:

I will raise you

Holy crap it's like a slipper with ears! Is that a special breed or something? He looks so soft.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

NMR posted:

Has anybody here had a lot of problems with rabbits during new years or American 4th of July in an urban area? Mine doesn't get startled easily so it's probably nothing but still.

I have had, but only the first year and now I take a few precautions he's fine. This isn't anything other than what I've worked out he wants, but you can try some of these.

I'll leave the lights on throughout downstairs as otherwise the flashing of colours will scare him. I also put a fan on it's high setting in his room (he lives under the stairs) to drown out most of the noise. Mostly though it's just being in the front room if he wants to hide behind the sofa or sit next to us. Last year he was pretty much attached to me throughout the fireworks and afterwards just headed to bed.

TotalBiscuit
Sep 17, 2007

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

You guys are about as rational and reasonable as most rabbits...y'know, the kind of creature that can freak out so badly it breaks its own back and dies? Now that I think about it...try that.

You seem to have the mistaken belief that $10 gave you an all access pass to be a cock-mongler. I'd think that an OH-SIX would have known better by now. You're not even any good at what you do, gently caress off elsewhere.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

shmee posted:

I have had, but only the first year and now I take a few precautions he's fine. This isn't anything other than what I've worked out he wants, but you can try some of these.

I'll leave the lights on throughout downstairs as otherwise the flashing of colours will scare him. I also put a fan on it's high setting in his room (he lives under the stairs) to drown out most of the noise. Mostly though it's just being in the front room if he wants to hide behind the sofa or sit next to us. Last year he was pretty much attached to me throughout the fireworks and afterwards just headed to bed.

Well we live on the first floor and I've made sure the curtains are closed and outside sound is muffled insofar as it's possible to do so. I don't suppose he's really going to keel over dead from fireworks. It's probably just me worrying too much. But you know this little guy is my first ever pet and I want to make sure I'm doing it right. :)

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
A few weeks ago, someone gave us a rabbit. They knew we had meat rabbits and asked us if we wanted another. He had been their daughter's pet and from the info they gave I gathered that he lived in one of those little Petsmart guinea pig cages and was occasionally hauled out by the daughter and carried around like a toy. Naturally, he didn't like this and scratched the poo poo out of the kid, so she stopped taking him out of his cage. So, they decided that he was "mean" (because, as a rabbit, he didn't like being picked up) and was therefore worthless as a pet and would only be good as someone's dinner. :rolleyes:

Now, I'm not one to turn down a tasty meal of rabbit, but it also seemed like the worst thing ever to eat some little girl's former pet, even if she didn't give a poo poo about him. He was originally purchased from Petland about 6 months ago ( :barf: ) and looks like a mini rex to me. I don't know the proper terms for rabbit colors, but he's this really pretty blue/fawn color.

When they gave him to us he was emaciated and dehydrated. With further probing I learned that he was fed only pellets (no hay) and instead of water they kept lettuce in his cage because he "always knocked his water bowl over." I guess water bottles were beyond them, I have no idea. v:(v

He's gained a lot of weight in the couple of weeks that I've had him. Josh has been pushing for us to eat him since that is the reason we initially agreed to take him, and I keep going back and forth on the issue. Ultimately the animals are all mine so I have final say either way. He's a really sweet rabbit. He comes when he hears us, he takes food out of our hands, and he loves being scratched right behind his ears. Our meat rabbits are all unsocialized bastards, but he's really trusting and I'm starting to get attached and I just don't want to eat him at this point. He's got too much personality and has gone from "meat rabbit" to "Somebody" in my mind, if that makes sense. I don't eat Somebodies. :(

Right now, I have him staying in one of my goat's 8 x 6 kidding pens. I had a house rabbit for a while growing up, and as much as I would love to have another one, it isn't really feasible because of the dogs, who eat rabbit on a regular basis and would just see a rabbit in the house as a moving snack. My dogs are trained to leave chickens alone and I could probably train them to leave a house rabbit alone, but it would require constant vigilance and I'd never feel totally comfortable with it. I just don't really want to go there.

So, this is what I'm thinking: I'll build him a huge pen. We're talking like at least 20' x 20'. It will be covered to keep predators out (though my LGD does a good job of that anyway) and I'll bury wire underneath it to keep him from tunneling out. I'll put a nice insulated dog house filled with hay inside for shelter, and make sure it's well stocked with hiding places and fun things to play with. He'll be able to graze, dig, and have fun outside but he'll be protected from the elements and from predators. I can't afford it right this second, but I'll save up to have him neutered and then maybe see about getting him an (also neutered) friend so he won't be alone. I know it's not as good as being a house rabbit, but it's the best alternative I can think of.

Or, I can maybe see about finding him a home. Either way I am an idiot for letting myself become attached to what was supposed to be dinner. :mad:

What do you guys think? Would that idea work?

Supercondescending fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 31, 2007

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
Just a question: what's a mongler? Please to be getting a dictionary.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

NMR posted:

Zen was fine during 4th of July -- that didn't even occur to me to be a worry. However the fireworks are pretty far from my apartment so it's wholly possibly she didn't even hear them over the general street noise.

Do you expect the noise to be earth shatteringly loud? Are you near a fireworks site?

Vaishino
Nov 14, 2003

He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds
We just got a rabbit, a black mini-lop named Danger, yesterday. He's 5 years old, and seems to be pretty nervous, what with the move across town, and the new people and everything. We're a little concerned, because he's been pooping an awful lot. He's litter trained, so it's easy to clean up, but we're concerned about his health. He eats good quality food for less active rabbits(which he is) and has been eating and drinking just fine. Is his pooping caused by stress maybe, or is that not really an issue with rabbits, thus making this a medical problem, and not one he'll get over once he acclimates to us?

Tricknee Hacksaw
Nov 15, 2006

Bunnies poop a lot in new territory as they get used to it, especially if they're nervous.
Have you owned rabbits before? I ask because I'm wondering if you think he poops a lot because other rabbits you've had didn't poop so much, or because it just seems like a lot of poop.

Either way, he's probably fine as long as he's eating and drinking properly :)

Vaishino
Nov 14, 2003

He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds

Tricknee Hacksaw posted:

Bunnies poop a lot in new territory as they get used to it, especially if they're nervous.
Have you owned rabbits before? I ask because I'm wondering if you think he poops a lot because other rabbits you've had didn't poop so much, or because it just seems like a lot of poop.

Either way, he's probably fine as long as he's eating and drinking properly :)

This is the first we've had. Good to know it probably isn't anything out of the ordinary.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Superconductor posted:

So, this is what I'm thinking: I'll build him a huge pen. We're talking like at least 20' x 20'. It will be covered to keep predators out (though my LGD does a good job of that anyway) and I'll bury wire underneath it to keep him from tunneling out. I'll put a nice insulated dog house filled with hay inside for shelter, and make sure it's well stocked with hiding places and fun things to play with. He'll be able to graze, dig, and have fun outside but he'll be protected from the elements and from predators. I can't afford it right this second, but I'll save up to have him neutered and then maybe see about getting him an (also neutered) friend so he won't be alone. I know it's not as good as being a house rabbit, but it's the best alternative I can think of.

What do you guys think? Would that idea work?

I think that would be pretty awesome for an outdoor bunny. Certainly better than just a small hutch in the back yard. You might want to consider blocking one or two sides as well to make it seem more of a safe haven when time and money permit. Nothing fancy, but similar to the green or black tape people weave in chain link fencing.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

angelicism posted:

Do you expect the noise to be earth shatteringly loud? Are you near a fireworks site?

Well I live in the kind of neighbourhood where people set off a LOT of fireworks. Pretty for me, not great for pets.

As it turns out though he barely seemed to notice a thing. Me and my worrying.

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

Just a question: what's a mongler? Please to be getting a dictionary.

I don't know what on earth made it seem like a good idea for you to post in every thread in pet island regardless of whether or not you actually know anything about the animal being discussed, but trust me on this one, nobody would mind if you would stop doing it. Maybe try posting in AI about how your 20 ferrets are better than a Miata or something.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So we're moved!

Thus far the rabbits seem fine with the change of surroundings, even as they are in their cage and not free roam on the carpet. Mo did seem to calm when I pet and scratched around his head out of the cage (I read somewhere that a "chewing/pencil sharpener" means either content bunny or I WILL KILL YOU bunny, and since he never attacked or ran off, I assume the former) and just gave me the evil eye when he had to go back with Cowslip, who is getting fixed as soon as the vet opens.

And Superconductor, keep the rabbit! I know it sounds like a double standard, keeping meat rabbits with a pet rabbit, but I know some cattle ranchers/breeders who have a few pets and the rest are milk fodder or steak-to-be. I myself breed mice for snake food, and the sweetest and prettiest mice go into cages marked Other, for non-breeders and non-feeders.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

I am Dan I am posted:

I will raise you

haha wow... it's like they crossed a scottish terrier with a bunny.

Just look at that face. :3:

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 1, 2008

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I am Dan I am posted:

I will raise you

Did he get his hair cut with a scissors?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What is the best way to clip bunny nails? Mo's are getting a bit long, though for some reason Cowslip's are not. I do have a dog nail clipper for my small MinPins, but even with Kwikstop around, I'm not exactly leaping for the chance to take two flighty rabbits and trim their nails down.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Cowslips Warren posted:

What is the best way to clip bunny nails? Mo's are getting a bit long, though for some reason Cowslip's are not. I do have a dog nail clipper for my small MinPins, but even with Kwikstop around, I'm not exactly leaping for the chance to take two flighty rabbits and trim their nails down.

Now, it's been said I don't know anything about anything, but when I worked in a veterinary clinic, we used a towel around the bunny, leaving the bunny sitting normally on the table, with one person holding and one person extending one paw at a time. They are definitely more comfortable that way than being fully put into a burrito, in my experience. Some people learn to trance their bunnies, but I was never given that sort of time in a vet clinic.

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

your reviews aren't that good

Cowslips Warren posted:

Trancing will be your best bet. I always do it with a friend around so they can hold the bunny in position while I trim the nails.

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

My bunny is a big white guy, and frequently gets poo stuck to his fur. He's been pretty good about using the litter box, but even so he still gets a really dirty butt.

Anything I can do to help him avoid this? Usually I just give him a quick bath every other week and dry him pretty well.

I am Dan I am
Jun 30, 2007
WHAT A GREAT VALENTINE'S DAY GIFT
^^^^ You can powder his butt with cornstarch baby powder when it's wet to help with the mess. It'd probably be better to flip him on his back and trim his butt if it's particularly long.

NMR posted:

Holy crap it's like a slipper with ears! Is that a special breed or something? He looks so soft.

He's a trimmed English Angora. He's unbelievably soft :)

Windy posted:

Did he get his hair cut with a scissors?

Yeah. He looks a little choppy there. He fluffs out a little more evenly after a couple days. I can't believe how fast his wool grows.

This is what EA's look like when you let them grow out:

:)

I am Dan I am fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 3, 2008

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

NMR posted:

'04? Don't waste your time young whippersnapper!

I came for pictures of rabbits and I wasn't disappointed, thought I'd share my own as well as his unfortunate story.

Oswald J, or "OZ" as he's called around here, was found inside a box in the woods well over a year and a half ago. He was found, a local HRS rescue lady was called, and this mini rex was picked up by her. However, Oz was not doing well; in his left eye he had a massive infection which was subsequently treated. He now has large amounts of corneal scarring in that eye, and was presumed to not be able to see out of it (which becomes important later in the story).

Here's Oz circa around 1year and 3 months ago when my girlfriend picked him up (I say her, as it is more truely hers as she does most of the 'work' associated with him... I just get to play with him/clean his litterbox when the gf is not in the mood to that night/give him eyedrops or syringe feed when he's been sick).

Normal looking eye right? That was his good eye. Here is his "bad" eye that was infected before we had em:

You can also slightly see his spot there. He loves that spot, and we've tried to accomidate him. Strangely, he only seems to like timothy hay near his spot as he doesn't seem to touch the hay in his house.

Now, back to his story. Oz's previous eye treatment, as well as his castration occured at an ivy league vet school hospital which has an exotics department. When treated for his left eye, the optomalogist did some normal vision tests on his 'good' eye and found that it seemed to have the start of a cataract in it. So, when we adopted him, we were told he was likely to get a cataract in that good right eye. The doc either made a mistake in diagnosis, or regardless a future problem started to occur.

8-10 months after having Oz we noticed some white in his good eye and thought it was just the cataract occuring. Sadly, this was not a benign cataract - Oz had developed an abscess in his good eye due to a E.cuniculi (a protozan) infection contracted sometime before adoption, either at the rescue facility when in close contact with other rabbits or at some other time. One potential compication with E.cuniculi infection is eye abscesses. When we had this looked at (at the previously mentioned exotics vet school department we are lucky to be near) due to decreased appetite, he was given drops to relieve pain, to treat the inflammation, as well as some syringe fed food for until he regained his appetite. Unfortunately, while his appetite did come back after a few days of care, his abscess did not respond to eyedrop treatment. So, we had to have his eye removed about 2 and a half months ago.

Treatment after the surgery was pretty much similar to before, syringe feed for a few days while he gets back on his feet, etc. I have a picture of his face a day after surgery but while not bloody or in any way bad, in keeping with the happy theme of the thread i'll refrain from posting it unless asked to.

Happily, Oz recovered fully from this ordeal. And as a happy surprise, in his left, cornea-scarred eye, he actually has enough vision that he can successfully navigate our aparment, and can tell if we put a new object on the floor as he will go check it out as soon as we put it down. He's been quite the resilient rabbit, and we are looking forward to having him around for many more years

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Aww, he sounds like a trooper! He looks like he has an amazing coat too! Ben had gotten attacked before I adopted him and he now has large scarring in his right eye as seen here (the flash distorts the color sadly):

Thankfully that was that with him and he didn't have any of the later effects you describe. He also still seems to have fine vision in it (although he's a damned jumpy rabbit)

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I don’t have a bunny of my own but I still lurk this thread to see all the pictures to fawn over everyone’s bunnies. I had one when I was little and he, despite being a terror in many was for being and unaltered male, was still an awesome pet. He would follow me around the house and even bite my brothers’ ankles/feet for me.

Anyways I wanted to know what the deal with “lion head” rabbits are? I’ve seen a lot of them around where I am and they’re incredibly cute, however I get the impression that they are just a new fad pushed by BYBs like “designer” dogs are. Is that the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kur0
Dec 13, 2002

You know, I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothin', but I think Depeche Mode is a sweet band.

Stickbug posted:

Anyways I wanted to know what the deal with “lion head” rabbits are? I’ve seen a lot of them around where I am and they’re incredibly cute, however I get the impression that they are just a new fad pushed by BYBs like “designer” dogs are. Is that the case?
I'm going to assume so, because I saw a million ads for them on craigslist in my area while looking for a bunny rescue/adoption place.

:sigh: