Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Daremyth posted:

http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcfCxMTFxc3Bx8TExMbDzYjAwszCwM0%3d

I feel good calling the all-in, but should I have tried to stack the 88 guy as well? I think the fact that I had already called one all-in made me kind of conservative. That and the Q on the board.

I think you're ahead of the limp/call preflop range there, it's such a weak play by him and I don't mind getting it in preflop. A call is fine too sometimes, but I like to lead a bit on a non-ace flop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

LastDeadMouse posted:

I would probably reraise him $3-4 on the flop. You are ahead of a lot of his pfr range there and if you don't repop it you are going to have no idea where you are on the turn. A hand like KK-1010 might bet the pot like that. And if he has a hand like A10 or AJ then he might actually fold it to a reraise. AQ or AK he'll probably call although he might shove. Fold to a shove obviously. By just calling there you put yourself in a really bad situation because you are inviting another bet on the turn. When you call that flop bet is your plan to just call down til showdown? If he calls your reraise and donkbets the turn I probably lay it down. He'll most likely check the turn though because he's tight. At that point you can either check behind and try to see a showdown (for most likely a split pot) or fire again to try to fold out AQ-A10.

Why, on the flop, would you want KK-88 to fold and who do you play against that will fold AT+ here? Raising flop here is like burning money because he will not fold anything you are behind. If he is raising MP with AJ/AT I don't feel most people will let that hand go when they basically hit their money card and, "I GOTS TWO PURR!"

I think bigfatspacko_uk's question here is what to do on the turn with a 1/3 pot sized bet. Villain could be betting small to induce a bluff or doing it for value or doing it because he is scared that hero has a 7. Since you don't know villain that well other than the fact that he got it in with a set there is still a good chance you are ahead if he continues to bet his mid pocket pairs, splitting the pot a good chunk of the time and getting valuetowned with AA (I think this hand is unlikely both in the fact that he wouldn't c-bet so big and the fact that you have an A), A7,KK,AK. Everything else you are ahead or splitting the pot with.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeh, the flop call wasn't perfect. I don't really think I'm getting the price in the pot seeing as he probably has a high ace.

My question, as SS pointed out, is what to do with the turn bet. I reckon he'd possibly bet a bit stronger for value, seeing as I called a pot bet on the flop. In the actual hand, I raised to $10 and got a fold.

Piss Man 94
Jun 11, 2003
I'm button with 1100 chips, villain is mid-late position with 1400, blinds are 25/50.

Preflop villain calls, everyone else folds, I call with Ad7d (first mistake? I just felt like seeing a flop on the button), SB folds, BB checks.

Flop comes 8d Kd 8h. Everyone checks. (second mistake?)

Turn Js. BB checks, villain checks, I bet pot, BB folds, villain calls.

River 9d. Villain checks again, I bet pot, villain raises, I _____ ?

schlaufux
Apr 28, 2007
just no stupid newbie k?

menth0l posted:

I'm button with 1100 chips, villain is mid-late position with 1400, blinds are 25/50.

Preflop villain calls, everyone else folds, I call with Ad7d (first mistake? I just felt like seeing a flop on the button), SB folds, BB checks.

The call preflop is ok-ish if the blinds aren't unusually aggressive, meaning that you can be almost certain that you'll get to see a flop. I'm kinda partial to playing lovely/suited aces in LP, may be spewy I guess.
I'd bet half-pot or more on the flop after it checks through you as a probe bet, folding to agression.
I think the turn bet is a mistake since anyone who might have been trapping on the flop has the J that you're representing beat anyway and won't fold ever, I'd check again.

River is a great card for you obv, villain probably has some lovely K and is trying to represent the flush, you have the nuts flush so get it in.

Edit: get it in because judging from stack sizes, the raise from villain, even if it was a minraise, almost puts you all in anyway, so just shove.

schlaufux fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 28, 2007

Piss Man 94
Jun 11, 2003
Yeah he raised to 700 there, so I didn't even really consider a call. Actually now that I look at it again, there's really no other choice than to shove. I also agree that I played to flop badly, I should have bet and then folded to aggression as you said.

I did shove, he called and showed J8

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

This is the wrong thread for this hand but theoretically if villain was never out of line I fold in a limped pot but practically who folds the nut flush? No point of betting the flop because anyone with an 8 is probably crai you once you bet so only do it if you want to get your stack in.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

If that's an SNG it's terribly spewy with that stack to be flatcalling anything preflop, you've only got 22BB and if the blinds go up soon then you'll be at pushbot mode and you're calling with hands that aren't going to hit enough of the time (and hold) for it to justify giving up that much equity. It's like calling with mid-small pairs at this point or later in sngs, you have enough implied odds if you know 100% of the time they're going to go all in and pay you off, but it's far far more likely if you hit they won't stack off for various reasons and if they do your set might not be best.

This is for the SNG/MTT thread anyway, but post flop i'd check flop and turn, bet river and fold to a raise, since the vast majority of time people slow play boats and depending on the level rarely is a worse flush or naked trips reraising you.

Piss Man 94
Jun 11, 2003

brian posted:

If that's an SNG it's terribly spewy with that stack to be flatcalling anything preflop, you've only got 22BB and if the blinds go up soon then you'll be at pushbot mode and you're calling with hands that aren't going to hit enough of the time (and hold) for it to justify giving up that much equity. It's like calling with mid-small pairs at this point or later in sngs, you have enough implied odds if you know 100% of the time they're going to go all in and pay you off, but it's far far more likely if you hit they won't stack off for various reasons and if they do your set might not be best.

This is for the SNG/MTT thread anyway, but post flop i'd check flop and turn, bet river and fold to a raise, since the vast majority of time people slow play boats and depending on the level rarely is a worse flush or naked trips reraising you.

Yeah it's the wrong thread, sorry. I called that thinking I'd move in if i hit any part of the flop. Had i then pushed on the flop (which i didn't because i thought hey free card to make my flush) i think the outcome would have been no different. So fold preflop is the verdict. Thanks guys :)

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

menth0l posted:

Raise preflop, unless this was a player who has rarely openlimped.

You gotta bet that flop. A smoothcall out of position on a paired board should send alarms ringing for your flush draw, because you could already be drawing dead. (in the case of a flop bet)

Once you make your flush, he has a lone 8 enough times to get it in here.

That said, the blinds were getting big and you got coolered.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 27, 2007

Harry Hood
Jan 1, 2004

my flow snatches the earth off its axis

schlaufux posted:

River is a great card for you obv, villain probably has some lovely K and is trying to represent the flush, you have the nuts so get it in.

this is in no way the nuts, it is the nut flush but a boat is possible on the flop and likely on the river

schlaufux
Apr 28, 2007
just no stupid newbie k?

Harry Hood posted:

this is in no way the nuts, it is the nut flush but a boat is possible on the flop and likely on the river

Er, yea, the nuts flush is what I meant to type actually.
Still, I think villain has naked trips here often enough for him to get it in there. In other news, I'm a huge donkey who will never let go of a nuts flush unless cards are face up. :v:

Harry Hood
Jan 1, 2004

schlaufux posted:

Er, yea, the nuts flush is what I meant to type actually.
Still, I think villain has naked trips here often enough for him to get it in there. In other news, I'm a huge donkey who will never let go of a nuts flush unless cards are face up. :v:

no I'm with you I don't think there's a way I don't get my money in and hope I'm not against K8/J8/98/KK/JJ/99 oh god

steve odwyer
Jan 5, 2003

Daremyth posted:

http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcfCxMTFxc3Bx8TExMbDzYjAwszCwM0%3d

I feel good calling the all-in, but should I have tried to stack the 88 guy as well? I think the fact that I had already called one all-in made me kind of conservative. That and the Q on the board.

value bet turn
JESUS CHRIST VALUE BET RIVER

ZeroStar
Dec 18, 2006
:[
Hand #1361011398000379: Calgary (6-Max) 11398
Seat 1: drugged (19.90 in chips)
Seat 2: Bunchky (22.20 in chips)
Seat 3: Lankford (9.90 in chips)
Seat 8: xBIGDAWGx (28.01 in chips)
Seat 10: squidsquid (37.32 in chips)
xBIGDAWGx: posts small blind $0.10
squidsquid: posts big blind $0.20
Dealt to xBIGDAWGx [ Ac Tc ]
drugged: folds
Bunchky: folds
Lankford: folds
xBIGDAWGx: calls
squidsquid: checks
*** FLOP *** [ 3s 9d Ts ]
xBIGDAWGx: checks
squidsquid: bets $0.40
xBIGDAWGx: calls
*** TURN *** [ 8c ]
xBIGDAWGx: checks
squidsquid: bets $0.60
xBIGDAWGx: raises to $2
squidsquid: calls
*** RIVER *** [ 7d ]

Villain has been pretty tight at the table I have not seen him really play a hand until one hand before this, where it was him UTG vs. me in the BB, he bet pot on a ragged flop and I folded.

Because of the previous hand I figured he would try and steal this one as well, so I c/c'ed the flop and c/r'ed the turn.

Should I just c/f the river, or try a blocking bet of some sort? What do you guys think of the flop and turn action as well.

M@
Jul 10, 2004

ZeroStar posted:

Should I just c/f the river, or try a blocking bet of some sort? What do you guys think of the flop and turn action as well.

As played, I probably bet/fold the river.

I think you have to either c/r that flop or throw out a psb.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

ZeroStar posted:

You really need to raise the flop, there are a ton of scary cards that would make it very hard to play in later streets. As played, I'd bet the river and fold to a shove. It'd be tough to call any bet if you checked to him. There's a chance he might be afraid of another check/raise so he might check behind sometimes, but typically a bet is good here.

ZeroStar
Dec 18, 2006
:[
Ok, I think a check raise on the flop and then leading out most turns sounds like a better line than the one I ran. In the hand I lead out for 1/2 pot on the river and folded to a big raise. Thanks for the critiques.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I'm sitting 3/5 live with about $2100 UTG. I get dealt KK both black at a fairly lively table. I bump to $40, and get two callers, MP and dealer, both have me covered. MP just doubled up the last hand with AA (his first hand BTW, and he played it retardedly) and the dealer I know will call a raise from this position with just about any two.

Flop was Q76 with two diamonds. I lead out $150, MP folds and dealer thinks a sec and calls.

Turn A not diamond. I check with the intention of CR and dealer checks.

River was like a 3 no diamond or something, no flushes on board.

What's the correct move here because I think I hosed it up?

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

this spot is pretty opponent dependent. against an unknown I'd probably bet $200-250 or so and fold to a raise, but against other opponents c/f or c/c or even b/c could be better.

Colma
May 7, 2007
On his head a bucket of chicken bones, on his face a plaster mask.
How should this hand be played?? perhaps check the turn instead?

Seat 5: Champfolife (4,795)
Seat 6: Leroy_Jenkems (17,250)
Seat 7: ruffryder25 (5,805)
Seat 8: FPC94 (9,070)
Seat 9: Centuryrob (3,305)
hmoney225 antes 25
oxqzmoi antes 25
ChumpFace antes 25
boodeewee99 antes 25
Champfolife antes 25
Leroy_Jenkems antes 25
ruffryder25 antes 25
FPC94 antes 25
Centuryrob antes 25
Champfolife posts the small blind of 120
Leroy_Jenkems posts the big blind of 240
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Leroy_Jenkems [8h 6h]
ruffryder25 folds
FPC94 folds
Centuryrob folds
hmoney225 calls 240
oxqzmoi folds
ChumpFace folds
boodeewee99 has 15 seconds left to act
boodeewee99 calls 240
Champfolife folds
Leroy_Jenkems checks
*** FLOP *** [3d 7h 9h]
Leroy_Jenkems bets 720
hmoney225 calls 720
boodeewee99 folds
*** TURN *** [3d 7h 9h] [Js]
Leroy_Jenkems bets 1,200
hmoney225 has 15 seconds left to act
hmoney225 raises to 4,800
Leroy_Jenkems calls 3,600
*** RIVER *** [3d 7h 9h Js] [Qs]
Leroy_Jenkems checks
hmoney225 has 15 seconds left to act
hmoney225 bets 5,760
Leroy_Jenkems folds
Uncalled bet of 5,760 returned to hmoney225
hmoney225 mucks
hmoney225 wins the pot (12,105)
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 12,105 | Rake 0
Board: [3d 7h 9h Js Qs]
Seat 1: hmoney225 collected (12,105), mucked
Seat 2: oxqzmoi folded before the Flop
Seat 3: ChumpFace folded before the Flop
Seat 4: boodeewee99 (button) folded on the Flop
Seat 5: Champfolife (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 6: Leroy_Jenkems (big blind) folded on the River
Seat 7: ruffryder25 folded before the Flop
Seat 8: FPC94 folded before the Flop
Seat 9: Centuryrob folded before the Flop

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Colma posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2105348

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Colma posted:

Seat 5: Champfolife (4,795)
Seat 6: Leroy_Jenkems (17,250)
Seat 7: ruffryder25 (5,805)
Seat 8: FPC94 (9,070)
Seat 9: Centuryrob (3,305)
hmoney225 antes 25
oxqzmoi antes 25
ChumpFace antes 25
boodeewee99 antes 25
Champfolife antes 25
Leroy_Jenkems antes 25
ruffryder25 antes 25
FPC94 antes 25
Centuryrob antes 25
Champfolife posts the small blind of 120
Leroy_Jenkems posts the big blind of 240
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Leroy_Jenkems [8h 6h]
ruffryder25 folds
FPC94 folds
Centuryrob folds
hmoney225 calls 240
oxqzmoi folds
ChumpFace folds
boodeewee99 calls 240
Champfolife folds
Leroy_Jenkems checks
*** FLOP *** [3d 7h 9h]
Leroy_Jenkems bets 720
hmoney225 calls 720
boodeewee99 folds
*** TURN *** [3d 7h 9h] [Js]

check turn fo sho given that you potted the flop.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

All hands are 1/2 at the MGM Grand Poker Room max buyin is $200.

First hand: effective stack of about 185. 6 way limped pot and I have T9o in the SB. Flop comes KT9r and I lead out for $6, half the pot. 3 folds to villain in the hand who raises to 18, folds back to me. My only read on this villain is that I saw him minraise 3 limpers with AA and the guy to my left had said he was playing for several hours and was "solid." He has a stack between 600-700 which means he has stacked a few people already. I consider it for a moment and decide to call. At this point I want to get to showdown cheaply but will fold the turn if I don't improve and he bets again. The turn is the K and I check, he considers and then checks. The river now is another K and I check. He looks at the King for a while and bets about $25, half the pot. Call/raise/fold?

Second hand, effective stack is maybe $100 here. It is more of a general question than the actual hand. Essentially I have 6:c:8:c:, flop an OESD on a Q-high board and bet it, improve with a flush draw on the turn and river the T-high straight flush. My opponent does not seem to be a very strong player and my feel for how he played the hand is that he probably does not have a monster hand that can stand a huge bet. First to act, how big should my bet be relative to the pot where he will still call but not get scared of how little I bet? I also don't want to bet so small that it is an "easy" call for him. Does the fact that there is a one card straight and a river flush on board change anything?

Third hand: Villain in this hand we will call him ORHH, (only reads his hand, over reads his hand?). Villain is a young Asian male with a nice looking watch and his girlfriend is sweating him. When he sat down he bought in for the full $200. My first impression of him was that he was someone who was going to play decent but not really tricky.

But now as I have watched him raise and play hands, for some reason whenever he open raises I do not get a strong feel that he ever has a strong hand. My only feeling from this was when I was watching what he would do and in one hand I saw him peek at his cards, his eyes went wide and he went for his chips. But his past couple of raises he has not had that same look on his face. Obviously assuming so much on one hand is bad but whenever he has showdown where he raised preflop he always ends up showing some suited connector, A9+, J9, Q9 type hands. He does raise a much wider range than most, having raised suited connectors as well. Here is the first hand I played against him:

ORHH raises, I call in position with 55, three to the flop of 874. He c-bets 2/3 of the pot and the guy in between us folds. I contemplate a raise but decide to just flat because I do not want him to shove if he has an overpair and since I have no read on him at the time. Turn is a K and he quickly checks, I check. River is a blank and he checks again and I bluff $25 into the pot. ORHH instacalls with 86s. At this point I had not bluffed the river and had shown solid hands when I had showdown and at this point he had been playing for about 2.5 orbits so I don't know if he read my soul or if he doesn't think I had a K but he doesn't seem to be thinking about what I have. He looks pretty smug when his 8s are good. :mad: I make a mental note to check a turned top pair and show it down so hopefully he sees that I will do that.

Another hand that I wasn't in he flops top two and gets it all in for about only $45 since the other guy was shortstacked; ORHH flips his hand over like it is the nuts only to have the old guy table bottom set.

But back to the actual hand, Effective stack is around $250 since that is about how much he has. ORHH raises one limper to $15 I have T:c:7:c: on the BTN and call. Original limper calls. Flop comes K98 given me an OESD and BDFD. First to act checks, ORHH c-bets $25 into $35 approx. I call, other guy folds. Turn is another K and goes check/check. River is a 6. ORHH quickly grabs his chips and fires out $35-$40. Not really even half the pot. Call/fold/raise?

Fourth hand is yet again against ORHH with similar stacks as the last hand. Now that I write all this out I realize how often we tangled. In this hand he once again raises to $15 with no limpers. I call in the SB with QJ with the J:d:. Flop comes K high, all diamonds. I check intending to checkraise him if he bets because he had showdown 2 flushes where he slowplayed a flopped nut flush and then slowplayed a turned flush so I feel that if he bets here he doesn't have a flush. He checks. Turn is now the Q:d: giving me the 2nd nut flush. I check again hoping he bets but he does not oblige. River is a blank and I decide to value town him for $10. He minraises me. Now the only thing on my mind is that episode of HSP where Guy minraises Antonio Esfandiari. Call/fold/raise?

Jelly!
Feb 15, 2007

pAPYruS mEMBeR

Strong Sauce posted:

handz

1st hand: I'd fold. Since its all limps id be cautious, as the flop does look good for you, it also could mean someone has Kx to pair up. I think he has the K because: flop he reraised, turn check for the trips, and bet river half due to value.

2nd hand: depends on how the thing played out. all i know is the board was 79q x t. we cant determine how the hand will play out if we dont know what happened before. but as is, bet 2/3 pot to show some weakness. check is probably too risky due to the crazy completing that t of clubs did.

3rd hand: defenitly a reraise. you got the best straight and there are only a handfull of hands that can beat you. id bump it up to 120. possible its a bluff, Id say 2 pair.

4th hand: id call. no reason to reraise cuz hes not calling unless he has the ace or maybe the ten. and I doubt he is holding the ace, slow playing it to the river? that would be extremely ballsy. you should had led the flop and/or turn though.

extra: on that hand you should probably bet on that K. Whether that fast checking was a tell or not its an easy bet/fold situation. better than bluffing the river.

Jelly! fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 30, 2007

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Strong Sauce posted:

All hands are 1/2 at the MGM Grand Poker Room max buyin is $200.

First hand: effective stack of about 185. 6 way limped pot and I have T9o in the SB. Flop comes KT9r and I lead out for $6, half the pot. 3 folds to villain in the hand who raises to 18, folds back to me. My only read on this villain is that I saw him minraise 3 limpers with AA and the guy to my left had said he was playing for several hours and was "solid." He has a stack between 600-700 which means he has stacked a few people already. I consider it for a moment and decide to call. At this point I want to get to showdown cheaply but will fold the turn if I don't improve and he bets again. The turn is the K and I check, he considers and then checks. The river now is another K and I check. He looks at the King for a while and bets about $25, half the pot. Call/raise/fold?
This is one of those 'only hands that beat you will call a raise' spots. JJ+ and the case K are likely but I'm willing to take my chances the way it was played for 2:1. Call.

quote:

Second hand, effective stack is maybe $100 here. It is more of a general question than the actual hand. Essentially I have 6:c:8:c:, flop an OESD on a Q-high board and bet it, improve with a flush draw on the turn and river the T-high straight flush. My opponent does not seem to be a very strong player and my feel for how he played the hand is that he probably does not have a monster hand that can stand a huge bet. First to act, how big should my bet be relative to the pot where he will still call but not get scared of how little I bet? I also don't want to bet so small that it is an "easy" call for him. Does the fact that there is a one card straight and a river flush on board change anything?
Reads come into play of course (and rel. stack sizes, i'm not clear on the pot size on the river), but usually you want to fall on the greedier side of bet sizing here. The reasoning is if they have little to nothing they might not call no matter what you bet. And if they have a hand that will call let's say a 1/2 pot bet, then they'll probably also call a 3/4 pot bet or more with the same hand. With a 4-straight board and rivered flush card, played as you said, I'd say I'm at least throwing a pot sized bet out (assuming medium-deep stacks). If he isn't a strong player and called down like that he either has something worth a showdown or a draw, and many draws got there on the river. He might just have a Q and is scared of the draws that came in but that's not enough of a reason to lower your bet size to keep just that range around. The range that will call or crying-call juicy bets is fairly large and you should focus more on extracting from that.

quote:

Third hand:<snip>

But back to the actual hand, Effective stack is around $250 since that is about how much he has. ORHH raises one limper to $15 I have T:c:7:c: on the BTN and call. Original limper calls. Flop comes K98 given me an OESD and BDFD. First to act checks, ORHH c-bets $25 into $35 approx. I call, other guy folds. Turn is another K and goes check/check. River is a 6. ORHH quickly grabs his chips and fires out $35-$40. Not really even half the pot. Call/fold/raise?
I'd probably push. He's got what, about $175 left and the pot is $130 or so? Pushing makes him call $~175 for $~330 and while he'll obviously have a boat here sometimes I bet he'll call with lesser hands if he called with 2nd pair small kicker in that previous hand.

quote:

Fourth hand is yet again against ORHH with similar stacks as the last hand. Now that I write all this out I realize how often we tangled. In this hand he once again raises to $15 with no limpers. I call in the SB with QJ with the J:d:. Flop comes K high, all diamonds. I check intending to checkraise him if he bets because he had showdown 2 flushes where he slowplayed a flopped nut flush and then slowplayed a turned flush so I feel that if he bets here he doesn't have a flush. He checks. Turn is now the Q:d: giving me the 2nd nut flush. I check again hoping he bets but he does not oblige. River is a blank and I decide to value town him for $10. He minraises me. Now the only thing on my mind is that episode of HSP where Guy minraises Antonio Esfandiari. Call/fold/raise?
I would've bet the turn and maybe even the flop, but played like that I think just calling is fine. I don't feel like getting the guns out for a small pot and 2nd best flush. Call, set up future plans with his reaction to your calling with what's likely the best hand, and be willing to get it in later with a larger pot or more secure holding.

Tuningfork
Apr 12, 2007
My cool? What about my cool?

Oh wait, I guess YOU'RE an illiterate chimp.
Final table of a 90 person SNG:

Full Tilt Poker Game #4695597596: $3 + $0.30 KO Sit & Go (35619384), Table 7 - 1200/2400 Ante 300 - No Limit Hold'em - 2:17:16 ET - 2008/01/01
Seat 1: cmore13 (78,615)
Seat 2: Cobra1979 (17,560)
Seat 3: womenspet (91,783)
Seat 4: biscuits72 (4,310)
Seat 7: jascat9 (38,760)
Seat 8: djshadyj (29,552)
Seat 9: McHustle (9,420)
cmore13 antes 300
Cobra1979 antes 300
womenspet antes 300
biscuits72 antes 300
jascat9 antes 300
djshadyj antes 300
McHustle antes 300
Cobra1979 posts the small blind of 1,200
womenspet posts the big blind of 2,400
The button is in seat #1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to cmore13 [Ks Kd]
biscuits72 folds
jascat9 folds
djshadyj folds
McHustle folds
cmore13 raises to 7,200
Cobra1979 folds
womenspet calls 4,800
*** FLOP *** [Ad 4h Ts]
womenspet checks
cmore13 bets 5,000
womenspet calls 5,000
*** TURN *** [Ad 4h Ts] [7c]
womenspet checks
cmore13 checks
*** RIVER *** [Ad 4h Ts 7c] [5s]
womenspet bets 14,400
cmore13 has 15 seconds left to act
cmore13 folds
Uncalled bet of 14,400 returned to womenspet
womenspet mucks
womenspet wins the pot (27,700)

How do you guys play this? I was pretty sure he had an ace by the end but maybe i'm just really weak.

Harry Hood
Jan 1, 2004

Your cool posted:

Final table of a 90 person SNG:

How do you guys play this? I was pretty sure he had an ace by the end but maybe i'm just really weak.

Looks fine to me. It's about all you can do if an ace hits, and it looks like he probably has one here.

edit: maybe cbet for a little more

Pizzlefish
Jun 8, 2005

Harry Hood posted:

edit: maybe cbet for a little more

I agree with this. The small cbet followed by a check makes it pretty apparent you fear that ace and you have to fold to that river bet even though there is no guarantee he you beat. I think I would have bet about twice, just to be sure of where I stand.

Edit: this is also a SnG/MTT hand and should go in the other thread.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

Your cool posted:

Checking behind the flop is an alternative line, but it depends a lot on your opponent. That way, call his turn bet which should be a bluff often enough, and it makes folding the river a little easier.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

$25NL on FTP. I don't know what I had him rated at when I played this hand but it should be around the same stats. I have him at 22.89/6.93 over 330+ hands. This guy has an insane AF of 1.42/7.5/3.67 on flop/turn/river.

Prev action, he limped from the SB after another limper with KTo, flops broadway and proceeds to check minraise a 2 diamond flop.

Another hand he has T:h: 9:h: and donkbets into the PFR on a J:h:52:h: flop, villain gets raised and calls, attempts to check/raise the turn when he hits his flush and then goes check/check on the river when the board has 3 fives and he loses to the other players pocket 7s.

Another hand he limps/calls a raise UTG with TT. Calls the c-bet on a flop of Q:d: 9:s: J:c: then leads after being checked to on a 3:c: turn before going check/check on the river. Other guy shows him KK, and villain mucks the TT.

I am BB in this hand with KK:d:. Yes the raise is a bit small b/c for some reason when I hit pot it only went to 85c.

Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

saw flop|saw showdown

CO ($25)
Button ($48)
SB ($20.45)
BB ($26.65)
UTG ($26.85)
MP (villain) ($25.45)

Preflop:
1 fold, MP (villain) calls $0.25, 3 folds, BB raises to $0.85, MP (villain) calls $0.60.

Flop: ($1.80) 6 :s:, 8 :d:, 7 :d: (2 players)
BB bets $1.8, villain calls $1.80.

Turn: ($5.40) Q :s: (2 players)
BB checks, villain checks.

River: ($5.40) J :d: (2 players)
BB bets $2, villain raises to $6.9, BB calls $4.90.

Final Pot: $19.20

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 3, 2008

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
Preflop kinda sucks. The pot is just the right size to get you in a bad situation with an overpair. I see that wasn't your fault, though.

The flop is scary, but you gotta bet.

If you are going to bet again, the turn is the place to do it, and if he raises you get out.

I think the river is check-fold time. It is very likely that whatever made him call the flop has hit by now. If he was floating you, he would have bet the turn. Plus, if he has you beat, he would play it very similar to what he did here.

You can spitecall because of his previous antics, but you are going to be behind here alot.

Psyduck
Oct 27, 2004
I WON $1,424,500 AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS SHITTY CUSTOM TITLE
Strong Sauce's hands:

hand 1: Leading half pot is awful, lead for $10 or so on the flop. I would call the minraise, check fold this turn, and check/call the river hoping that he donked around on the flop raising with some gutshot or some such - you are trying to induce a bluff or a value bet with worse. Running K's make it quite unlikely he has a king in his hand although I have no idea what he has at this point but I'd call.

Hand 2: I would just push because if it's a 1 card straight and opponent has that 1 card he is never folding, especially if he's sitting with a half stack to begin the hand with. If he can call a half pot bet, he'll call a push.

Hand 3: He seems LAGGY and I would have raised his c-bet in the first place. When he folds you show an immediate profit and with the OESD + added equity from the backdoor clubs when you raise/get it in you are not doing that bad. Against nits you can call because you have implied odds when you hit but against LAGs you should just raise/get it in because they will fold their c-bet to a raise very often, and due to the fact that their range is so wide to begin with, your implied odds are not guaranteed when you hit.

As played, push the river FOR SURE and he will snapcall with AK or KQ and you can laugh at him.

Hand 4: Fold pre. Just call the river minraise, he seems capable of FPS and you're probably good 1 in 5 times or whatever you need.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Hand 1: I was really confused on this hand because of the running Ks. I felt he was pretty strong in this hand and was definitely planning on check/folding the turn. I eventually call and he slowrolls me a T, then the K. I think JellyS has the right thought about this since he probably won't minraise a draw. I definitely felt like he had a K on the turn but the river K just really confused me. In the future I will probably make myself cry and fold since the best I can hope for is a split pot. Psyduck: Does leading here for $6 instead of $10 really make any difference since I doubt many of them are thinking about pot odds and will call a $6 bet as much as they will a $10 unless you are saying I should bet more for value.

Hand 2: I think online I would probably push or go for a very strong bet but live players seem to be really scared of all ins and will not call one without a very strong hand.

I eventually decided to bet 1/4th of the pot. He agonized over his hand before he finally calls with Q6 and then when I show him the hand he says, "I knew you had something" blah blah blah. The very next hand he reloads and again he limps in, gets raised, calls. He proceeds to flop TPWK again and folds when he faces a big flop and turn bet by the initial raiser who shows him second pair Ace kicker. Then the VERY next hand he flops TPWK AGAIN in a limped pot and folds to a river bet. He keeps showing that he is folding TOP PAIR like he is making some monster fold. He eventually stacks off against someone with TPGK and leaves the table. The guy to my left says, "I'm sad to see him go" after he had left.

Hand 3: I shove and he kinda thinks about it before folding. He asks me if I had a boat. It sucks if he folds a K but he probably never ever folds a K here. Considering the first hand I have where he snapcalls me with second pair I think my push scared him into folding something like QQ-TT. I have no idea if he calls or folds AA here.

Hand 4: I kind of replay the hand in my mind and figure I can't fold and if he has the nuts oh well so I just call. When I hear him say "I flopped it" my first reaction is to prepare to muck after he shows me the A:d: but instead he shows me 5:d:6:d: :lol:. I quickly open my hand to find my J:d: and show it to the dealer. As the dealer starts shoving me the chips the guy looks at me quizzically and says, "What took you so long to call with that?"

At this point I have a pretty good idea of his handrange. He also literally has tons of physical/verbal tells that I largely ignored because I thought they were weak=strong/strong=weak tells. After I realize this though I feel I am reading him pretty well and call two of his hands. First when he open shoves $50 and a nit eventually calls him with 88. The guy does not seem happy about it, says "I don't think I have the best hand" and I ask him if he has "AJ, maybe AJ suited?" and he shows me AJ and wins the flip. Then maybe 5 hands later ORHH guy raises AGAIN in MP, same nit jams his remaining stack of $30 or so and ORHH guy is saying, "I have a good suckout hand" so I say, "suited connectors?" ORHH shows Q:s:J:s: nit shows AK and then gets outflopped on a Q-high board and can't believe he lost a 60/40. ORHH also literally grimaced and said, "Aw man" when he raised in MP and got 3-betted. He folded when it got back to him. He did not seem worried that I was reading his hands either.

Steve Evets
Feb 6, 2006

Whoops wrong thread, my apologies....thanks for the advice though you two.

Steve Evets fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 4, 2008

JCarver
Feb 12, 2005

GozGunner posted:

PokerStars Game #14301863109: Tournament #71876248, $10+$1 Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2008/01/03 - 19:23:27 (ET)
Table '71876248 13' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: remiiiitahit (3958 in chips)
Seat 2: Old Hoburn (2225 in chips)
Seat 3: omgalizee (3665 in chips)
Seat 4: alessandrinh (2850 in chips)
Seat 5: Soxngolf5 (3420 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 6: 10FACups (5405 in chips)
Seat 7: JAE05 (3675 in chips)
Seat 8: 6iLenny (1567 in chips)
Seat 9: SteveYoung15 (3325 in chips)
JAE05: posts small blind 15
6iLenny: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to 10FACups [As Ad]
SteveYoung15: calls 30
remiiiitahit: folds
Old Hoburn: calls 30
omgalizee: folds
alessandrinh: calls 30
Soxngolf5: folds
10FACups: raises 120 to 150
JAE05: calls 135
6iLenny: folds
SteveYoung15: folds
Old Hoburn: calls 120
alessandrinh: folds
*** FLOP *** [Ts 8s 9d]
JAE05: checks
Old Hoburn: bets 150
10FACups: raises 3150 to 3300
JAE05: folds
Old Hoburn: calls 1925 and is all-in
omgalizee is disconnected
*** TURN *** [Ts 8s 9d] [5s]
omgalizee is connected
*** RIVER *** [Ts 8s 9d 5s] [7c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Old Hoburn: shows [Jd 6d] (a straight, Seven to Jack)
10FACups: shows [As Ad] (a pair of Aces)
Old Hoburn collected 4690 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 4690 | Rake 0
Board [Ts 8s 9d 5s 7c]
Seat 1: remiiiitahit folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: Old Hoburn showed [Jd 6d] and won (4690) with a straight, Seven to Jack
Seat 3: omgalizee folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: alessandrinh folded before Flop
Seat 5: Soxngolf5 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: 10FACups (button) showed [As Ad] and lost with a pair of Aces
Seat 7: JAE05 (small blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 8: 6iLenny (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 9: SteveYoung15 folded before Flop

What am I doing wrong here?? This is happening WAY too often to me. I always get my money in miles ahead only to get dicked on the river. I'm probably just running bad but its been bad enough for me to stop lurking and post this.

1. Wrong thread, this is a tournament, not a cash game.

2. raise more preflop, to 210 or so.

3. make a more reasonable flop raise if you want action from worse hands and not (usually, not in this case) only hands that beat you or are a near flip (pr+oesd)

4. run better but you only lost as like a 2-1 favorite.

Pizzlefish
Jun 8, 2005

GozGunner posted:

What am I doing wrong here?? This is happening WAY too often to me. I always get my money in miles ahead only to get dicked on the river. I'm probably just running bad but its been bad enough for me to stop lurking and post this.

wrong thread, there is one specifically for tourneys.

Simply put, you overplayed aces here. There was absolutely no call to go all in out of the blue against two opponents after the flop with no information on what they have. Aces kick rear end before the flop, but after the flop you have to take time and reevaluate.

This flop is very very drawy(straight and flush possibles). Reraise the flop 3x or so. If he calls, then reevaluate on the turn. If he reraises, then you have to decide whether to continue after the hand based on how he has played before.

As it turned out, he made a retarded call and caught, but you have to ignore the results and look at the hand again step by step if you want to get better.

cricket eater joe
Nov 11, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I agree with raising more preflop, the reason being that you already have three limpers in the pot, and while you want action you don't want to make the pot sweet enough that they all call because they have "pot odds"

With the raise that you made, I would raise the flop bet to about 1200-1500, and given your / his stack size be committed enough to call a shove as well. I wouldn't be happy about it, but I would be expected to see everything from jt to at that you beat, as well as 2 pair hands that you are still drawing live against. If you had say 15-20k chips and got reraised after you raise his flop bet then you can evaluate, but here this looks fairly simple.

If he just calls your flop bet then I would probably shove if checked to on a non threatening turn card, check a scare card, and cry if I got shoved into on a scary turn.

Meowrat
Jan 19, 2005
wesley snipes is the best damn quarterback this town's ever seen
This hand happened about 2 hours ago at 1-2 NL game.

I am MP with Qs-9s ($325). I limp. Button makes it $6. It is me, SB, BB, and Button to the flop.

Flop is: Qd, 9d, 6c

SB checks, BB checks, I bet $30. Button thinks for 10 seconds and makes it $100. Button's stack is $420ish. He has shown multiple bluffs on the river and has been called down and then mucked to 2nd pair more than a few times.

SB folds, BB folds. Here is where I think I may be up against a set of 6s, Ad-Qx, or a flush draw. I think about it for a bit and move in.

Button calls and shows 7d-8d.

How was my play on this hand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

shove all day and twice on sundays.

• Locked thread