Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Kur0 posted:

I'm going to assume so, because I saw a million ads for them on craigslist in my area while looking for a bunny rescue/adoption place.

:sigh:

Yeah I've seen them on craigslist a lot but also seen quite a few in rescues around my area too (no doubt originating the same craigslist people :rolleyes: ). Not that I am planning on getting a rabbit anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
Lionheads are all the hell over the New England Craigslist pet sections. They're cute as can be, but jeez, people. Most people aren't cut out to have rabbits (obviously not talking about people here in this thread/subforum but the general public). A big mane of fur doesn't suddenly make them need less care or chew your stuff less.

Master_Jay
Jan 6, 2007
So I've come to find myself with a new bunny. Or the bunny found me. Here's the story.

So earlier this week, I found a bunny wondering around my yard. It was a small bunny, just a baby, and extremely cute. Of course, it would run away if I came close, so I just assumed it was one of the wild rabbits we have around here.

Well, the rabbit kept coming back day in and day out. The more I looked at it, the more I thought, "You know, this rabbit looks different from the wild rabbits around here." I didn't think much of it until I talked to a friend a bit later.

My friend said apparently, someone abandoned a litter of rabbits around the area thinking they'd survive on their own. Sadly, he's been finding dead baby rabbits around his yard. (We have mean Racoons.) Oh for fucks sake... :(

For a day, I didn't hear the bunny and at night, I heard what I thought as a bunny death scream. I was extremely sad.

But the next day, there he was. My dog was sniffing him a little and I notice he wasn't too active. (I don't worry about my dog hurting the bunny since I've caught random baby ducklings sleeping on top of him at night a lot. :3: )

So I go out there and he isn't moving much. I pick him up and put him in a box and take him off to the pet.

Well, from what the vet told me, he's definately not a wild bunny we have around here. He's around 3-4 weeks old, and they think it's a girl but it's slightly early so not 100% positive.

So after he ate some food, he was more active and I bought myself a cage for him. (I'll build onto it when he's bigger) He's a very affectionate little guy. He comes up to my face and likes to lick it. He's totally awesome! I decided, since I don't know his sex, I'll call him Fred because guy or girl, Freds an awesome bunny name.

Sorry about the mess. I swear, I'm keeping his place tidy and clean.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

What an adorable baby. It looks like a wee version of the very first bunny I ever had. Be sure to look up info on rabbit.org if you haven't already. Little buns require a very different diet than older rabbits. You;ll be needing alfalfa hay and alfalfa based pellets for one.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html

quote:

What quantities of food should I feed babies and "teenagers"?

* Birth to 3 weeks--mother's milk
* 3 to 4 weeks--mother's milk, nibbles of alfalfa and pellets
* 4 to 7 weeks--mother's milk, access to alfalfa and pellets
* 7 weeks to 7 months--unlimited pellets, unlimited hay (plus see 12 weeks below)
* 12 weeks--introduce vegetables (one at a time, quantities under 1/2 oz.)

Now, it can vary by vet what he or she thinks is best as far as nutrition, but my vets are on par with what's listed on the diet page I pasted above.

Master_Jay
Jan 6, 2007
Oh gently caress, I gave him a baby carrot. Thanks for the link, I'll run to the store in a little bit and buy him the recommended food.

Edit: Also, since I obviously don't have the mother available, is there another milk source I can feed him?

Master_Jay fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 5, 2008

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Is there any need to worry about Cowslip with cataracts in the future? His eyes are fine, but he does have blue eyes (one of his parents did too), so I'm not sure if I need to worry more about future eye or ear problems.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Master_Jay posted:

Oh gently caress, I gave him a baby carrot. Thanks for the link, I'll run to the store in a little bit and buy him the recommended food.

Edit: Also, since I obviously don't have the mother available, is there another milk source I can feed him?
I just googled now and the first link was this and suggested that it would be ok to try KMR kitten milk formula. I've used it for kittens before, it's easy to make small amounts at a time. I believe you have bunnies already(or have I misread older posts) so if you can find the cecotropes, the softer poo that sort of looks like bunched grapes, you can try to feed that to the little one as well.

I have never raised a baby bun before, but I hope that link helps you. Don't forget that vets are a valuable resource as well. You may be able to schedule an appointment for proper feeding techniques for the formula and other general baby care needs that you may not know to watch for.

Master_Jay
Jan 6, 2007
Thanks for the help. I've had bunnies before but never one this young.

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

your reviews aren't that good

Master_Jay posted:

(cute pictures)

You're doing a great job so far, especially with taking the bun to the vet. I noticed in your pictures that you appear to be using pine shavings, which is thought to cause liver damage in buns. Here's a link to what the HRS recommends for litter. Good luck!

Master_Jay
Jan 6, 2007
Luckily, the pine shavings are just temporary. I usually go to the feed store and use other bedding they have there since it's basically softer, cheaper, and made out of paper. I looked it up before and know it was recommended so I'll switch to that. Unfortunately, since I didn't plan on a new buns, I have to wait a bit to get paid so a lotta stuff you see right now is basically temporary.

I'll update you with more pictures later as time goes on.

Linda
Sep 26, 2007
Your ... your brain has the shell on it.

Are you talking?
Hey, I just built this for my rabbit.

Should I be worried that she hasn't jumped to level 2 yet? I was hoping she'd be all over the place since it's so spacious, but she hasn't left level 1. Could the steps be too high for her? I thought all rabbits were capable of leaping pretty high. Thanks!

Linda fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 6, 2008

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Aww, what a lucky bunny. I made a grid cage for Debbie a while back that only has a second level but she jumps up to it just fine. I made a step by bending a grid but she rarely uses it to get to the second level, and mostly chills in it like it's a secret cave or something.

Your bun may just be hesitant of the new diggs so give her time. The only thing I'd be wary of is that there seems to be very little space on the floor to move around outside of the larger box. Not that it's a problem, but for her to jump in or out of it, it may be confining or uncomfortable. Same with jumping on or off the second platform.

I just thought of something else. Is that floor slippery? Debbie never has issues with linoleum or plastic flooring, but Murphy does because of his floofy feet and will slip all over. It makes him nervous and he'll just cower in a corner until I throw a rug or towel down.

Windy fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 6, 2008

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

In my spare time I hypnotize bunnies.

Yeah, I was going to ask, is it necessary to have such a large litter box? She might be more comfortable with a bigger space to "take off." It looks great! She probably is nervous, I'm sure she can jump up there, my bunnies are pretty big and they can jump a good two feet onto the couch, smaller bunnies can usually jump higher (some dwarfs can jump on kitchen counters).

Keystone...classy :)

Linda
Sep 26, 2007

Are you talking?
The floor is kind of slippery. I think I'll line it with something to give it some texture. I kept the blue plastic on the first level because it was the base to her old cage, and I just thought she would like something familiar with her in a new surrounding. It's a very large base, and she seems to enjoy hopping in and out of it.

My rabbit is actually a dwarf mix, so it's good to hear they're "supposed" to be able to leap high!

She loves the keystone boxes, and my roommate keeps a fresh supply of them around, hah.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

What you may want to do is just take out the plastic cage bottom, and after a week or so giver her a larger litterpan to chill out in. When I moved Debbie from her old cage to the new one I built she didn't care much about how different it seemed, only that there was more room to play. It wasn't as rough of a transition as coming from the pet shop to a new home. If you have old towels or can find cheap grass mats(Amazon frequently has some on sale) that should be fine for the bottom floor of the cage.

Linda
Sep 26, 2007

Are you talking?
Thanks Windy. I just ordered some grass mats for her.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Anytime ;) Not only are they going to offer something different to sit on, if she gets bored, the grassy mats will bear the brunt of her restlessness instead of the floor coverings on your different platforms.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Linda posted:

She loves the keystone boxes, and my roommate keeps a fresh supply of them around, hah.
Your roomie should eat the boxes, too. At least they taste better than the beer...

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
So, I expanded Nobbers' cage. It consists of 14 wire cubes, although two of 'em are just sticking out the top as, uh, "Standing room". (In reality, I put them there in preperation for an eventual third level when I get a second bun - as soon as my local SPCA gets a caller/drop off)

He seems to really like the extra room, and although at first I was worried he was too lazy to go downstairs to his litterbox (he was leaving a significant number of droppings on the upper floor), he stopped doing that after two days.

Oh, and our housemates got a puppy. Yay, I guess.
This means that we can't have Nobbs out on the floor very much, because the dog is very bitey. Since we can't have him out on the carpet upstairs anymore, and since we can't reasonably rabbit-proof our room, poor Nobbs has to stay in his cage with only an hour on the couch a day. I'm saving for a nice area rug for our living room, so that'll be better... Also, something to look forward to in the future is that we'll be in the house alone in another year or two, so he can have the entire guest room to himself. (And the other rabbit, of course)

Anyways. I was talking to the SPCA, and the lady I talked to said that someone had called about putting a male rabbit up for adoption. The only information she had was that he was around 7 months old - she didn't know if he was neutered or not. I haven't called the owner yet, because I figured trying to bond two young males might be tricky - has anyone had any success or failure with such a situation?

e: Forgot to add that he started shedding. From what I read, rabbits can/do shed four times a year. The only problem is, I can't get all the fur out of his coat, and I'm worried he's been eating it/getting it up his nose... (My housemate said that he had a sneezing fit while I was at school, but he hasn't done it since...)

Bagleworm fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 8, 2008

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Linda posted:

Should I be worried that she hasn't jumped to level 2 yet? I was hoping she'd be all over the place since it's so spacious, but she hasn't left level 1. Could the steps be too high for her? I thought all rabbits were capable of leaping pretty high. Thanks!

Sorry for the double post but I don't want to edit a third time.

When we built Nobbers' cage, he wouldn't jump to the second level either. He would stand up and kind of look at it, but he wouldn't actually make the effort to jump up. We thought maybe he didn't realize he could actually go up there, so be picked him up and put him in the second level. Five hours later, he hadn't jumped down. He would do the same thing, though - go to the edge and look down, but he never actually jumped. In the end I built him a ramp to get up, and he uses it ( but doesn't seem to really enjoy using it.)

I've actually never seen him jump - ever. He'll lightly hop over something in his way, and he hops in and out of his litterbox and basket, but he's never jumped off the couch, down the stairs, onto our mattress, etc. Could be that your bunny is the same way - just doesn't seem to want to jump.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Is he really young still? My rabbit didn't jump on things either when he was young but now he'll jump on, over and into anything. He'll jump into my lap when I'm sitting at my computer, I can't ever get him to stop jumping on my bed, the windowsill, the TV, and the moment I open a closet door he'll leap right into it. Almost makes me wish he was a little more timid. :o:

He also has a habit of sitting quietly one moment then jumping right to the other side of the room suddenly for no reason. He's kind of an exhausting pet, especially when you're doing something he really wants to watch and gets in the way (like putting on shoes, what a miracle!), but one thing I can't call him is boring.

LittlePrincess
Apr 6, 2007

*~~~~~~~*
I see that cages are the new topic, but I was thinking to myself that I'd really like a rabbit thread so that I can share pictures of my rabbit with other rabbit lovers. And then I found this thread!

This is Bambi. She is a LOT bigger now but I haven't taken any new pictures. I want to say she's 15 lbs. She's not obese or anything - Bambi is actually quite muscular - but she's huuuuge. She scares the poo poo out of my cat when trying to play with her.

To contribute to the cage conversation: what is the best place to buy a cage for a huge rabbit?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

DisneyPrincess posted:

To contribute to the cage conversation: what is the best place to buy a cage for a huge rabbit?

Don't buy one, make one! I have two huge rabbits who live together - a 12 lb New Zealand, an 8 lb lop-NZ mix. Their old pen was just under 8'x9':

It's made with two dog exercise pens and two 4'x8' sheets of coroplast for the base.

Their new one (we're moving in just a couple weeks) will be about 7.5"x7.5", because I'm going to fold the coroplast up 3" to hold in stray poops, and using cube grids instead of pens for the walls. Duct tape will seal the overlapping edges of the coro so they can't nibble on them. Total cost: $16 for the coroplast and $15 for the grids. :D

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
This whole rabbits being timid of the 2nd and 3rd floors things confuses me. When I put Annie in the current cage she's in now, she went nuts with excitement! She was almost doing the happy dance off the 2nd floor onto the first, you guys clearly needed to starve your rabbits of living room for longer.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
My bunny has never been big on jumping onto things unless there was food involved. If I am eating a bowl of cereal on the couch, she will not hesitate to jump directly into the bowl or on my lap or anywhere else with the hopes of making me spill it everywhere. She is a big bunny, but she never had trouble jumping. She simply doesn't want to. She seems to much prefer getting behind and under things, particularly in places where there's carpet to destroy.

When anybody sits on the floor, however, it's just a matter of seconds before a bunny is climbing all over them.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

DisneyPrincess posted:

I've honestly never seen a cage for sale that is adequate size for a bunny. It makes me sick seeing the "bunny starter kits" they sell in stores. If you search the thread, there is alot of talk about the wire cube cages.

*I saw that WALMART had the cubes for $11!!! I've never seen them there. They are in the plastic storage container section at mine.*

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
So about every week I clean or every other litterbox change I clean their cage pretty rigorously. Picking up stray poops, hay,etc. and every single time they both rush into the cage and kinda bounce around like "HAY, WTF MAN, I spent all day decorating with that poop and you're just gonna put it away like that? whats up with that? Oh fine, you'll just keep cleaning then? Fine, I'm gonna go sit under the bed. Meanie." I love it.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Melicious posted:

My bunny has never been big on jumping onto things unless there was food involved.
She is a big bunny, but she never had trouble jumping. She simply doesn't want to.

I've seen this to be true as well. Most of my larger bunnies never jump at all. I have an 8lb girl named Jeannie who normally is contained by only a 12" high barrier. She simply has no interest in jumping, it seems.

However, one day I made the mistake of sitting on the bed to open the craisins. WHUMP. Eight pounds of excited rabbit flew 3' into the air like she was born to it.

Her memory is good, too. The next morning at 4am I got another WHUMP as she came back up to see if I would give her craisins for breakfast. Unfortunately I screamed like a little girl to have that much rabbit land on me while I was deeply asleep and she immediately leapt back down. I think I traumatized her as much as she traumatized me. :(

LittlePrincess
Apr 6, 2007

*~~~~~~~*

girlscoutdropout posted:

If you search the thread, there is alot of talk about the wire cube cages.

*I saw that WALMART had the cubes for $11!!! I've never seen them there. They are in the plastic storage container section at mine.*

I think I saw that about wire cubes. I couldn't find them at Walmart so I think I'll try Staples or something.

Also, thanks for the advice alucinator. I think I'll do a mix between what you said and those cubes. It could be like a bunny jungle gym!

Edit: Thanks!

LittlePrincess fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 10, 2008

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

DisneyPrincess posted:

I think I saw that about wire cubes. I couldn't find them at Walmart so I think I'll try Staples or something.

Also, thanks for the advice alucinator. I think I'll do a mix between what you said and those cubes. It could be like a bunny jungle gym!

I definitely like the grids better, and in fact I use them almost exclusively now. Here is a crappy mockup of the new cage Roo & BunBun will be in shortly.

I've never seen the grids at Staples, but they should definitely have them at Target. Target's packaging looks like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
You bunny people are so friggin lucky. I'd love to make a cage out of the cubes, but probably about half the ferrets I've had could fit through a 1x1 opening, believe it or not. Plus I'd have to put a top on, since they climb like little monkeys.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

DisneyPrincess posted:

The only place I've seen them are at Walmart. Here in Canada they go for $19.99 a pack. (You can make four cubes with an open side with one pack) They're in the orginization section, by the big plastic bins and stuff. They're just wrapped in clear plastic with an inserted label.
Also, you probably want to get a pack or two of Cable ties/zip ties. I found those in the hardware-ish section. It's much easier than wrestling together those plastic things that come with the cubes.

LittlePrincess
Apr 6, 2007

*~~~~~~~*
Bambi with her new cage setup that uses the great advice from you guys:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
We decided to keep the bun that my husband's coworker gave us. We're working on the huge outdoor pen we're building for him, and we decided that we wanted to make him an indoor/outdoor rabbit instead of just an outdoor rabbit. We're thinking that we'll build a cube cage to keep him in at night and when he's indoors, and let him play in the pen during the day as long as the weather doesn't suck. For a few hours every day, I'll give him access to the kitchen and the living room to play in. So once everything is built and ready, I plan on only keeping him caged at night. During the day he should be able to play in his pen outside or in the house.

I was worried about my dogs, but only one of my dogs really has an issue with prey animals and he doesn't bother them as long as they're in a cage, so I'm thinking that for the few hours that Mr. Bun is free in the house, I'll just send that dog in particular out to play in the yard or something. The other dogs should be fine as long as I supervise.

Today, I found him a friend. We were casually looking, and when we were at Petco today picking up a few things they had a spayed female rabbit up for adoption. For free. They didn't know how old she was, but she's definitely an adult, which is awesome. I was SO dreading having to buy, raise, and spay/neuter a baby rabbit, and that's usually all I see around here. This girl is already grown up and settled, and spayed. And she was free. Awesome. We decided to take her.

She's the floppiest, friendliest rabbit I've ever met. She is the only rabbit I've ever seen that just lets you pick her up. She doesn't scramble, doesn't scratch, she just flops. Her temperament is just so awesome.

I'm not going to start to introduce her to my other rabbit for a while, because he came down with an URI (currently he's on antibiotics) and I don't want her to catch it. Once that clears up though, they will hopefully become friends.

So this is her. I have her set up in this crummy pen until Tuesday (which is the next time we're planning on going into town) when I'll buy some cubes and build a proper cage that hopefully they will go on to share one day.

I'm not sure what breed she is....maybe a French Lop? She's pretty big, easily 10 pounds. I just realized I don't have any pictures of the boy bun, so I'll try to take some tomorrow. They are both badly in need of names, so name suggestions are awesome.

AltruisticNemesis
Nov 7, 2007
tra la la
This is Johann Glamboputty (after a Monty Python sketch)
He is a brittania petite (i think) and is currently pulling on my slippers to get me to play with him.

also...does anyone have good advice for flea protection for house bunnies?

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Superconductor posted:

Bunny words.

Please research introducing two bunnies very carefully. I wouldn't try anything until the male is neutered + 2 months or so. It can be a long process (still going on 7 months trying to bond mine). Bunnies fight to the death, so please be careful!

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

AltruisticNemesis posted:

also...does anyone have good advice for flea protection for house bunnies?

Your bunny has fleas? It's not safe to use any dog/cat flea protection so I've been told. I think you'd have to get a bunny-specific flea shampoo from a vet. Don't buy anything from a pet store.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Today I tried that bunny harness on mine to let him get used to it, so I could take him on walks and stuff. I figured it's got to be boring being in my bedroom all the time. After the terrified reaction that brought out I figured maybe some rabbits aren't "harness rabbits". It's a shame too because there's lots of cold tile floor in the living room so he doesn't have the whole house to get around in.

It was probably a dumb idea anyway. Does anybody have any good experiences with taking their rabbit on walks?

AltruisticNemesis posted:

This is Johann Glamboputty (after a Monty Python sketch)

Actually... that's Johann Gambolputty :o:

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

NMR posted:

It was probably a dumb idea anyway. Does anybody have any good experiences with taking their rabbit on walks?

Bowser was already at least a couple years old before we tried a harness with her, and although it wasn't her favorite thing ever, she didn't get too huffy about it. She gets a little agoraphobic when we go outside (seeking shelter under trees, etc), but when we lived on the beach, she LOVED digging in the sand.

Nowadays we bring her out on the front lawn on occasion. She likes to eat the dandelions and chill in the sun, but sometimes is frightened by the sound of nearby dogs. She is also a magnet for every child within a 20 mile radius, it seems. Thankfully, she's tolerant and friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AltruisticNemesis
Nov 7, 2007
tra la la

girlscoutdropout posted:

Your bunny has fleas?

no, but if i start letting him play outside I want to make sure he doesnt get any.
fleas = bad