Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
Finally got the Christmas pictures of Nobbs!

Blah. High quality cameras are nice, until you have to resize every picture you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

In my spare time I hypnotize bunnies.

AltruisticNemesis posted:

no, but if i start letting him play outside I want to make sure he doesnt get any.
fleas = bad

I wouldn't really worry about it.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

NMR posted:

It was probably a dumb idea anyway. Does anybody have any good experiences with taking their rabbit on walks?

Yes and no. I've had both Debbie and Murphy in harnesses and while the process of putting it on is tricky, they get used to it after a half hour of pouting. Debbie is actually much better about it than Murphy though. I used to put the harness on her every time I let her run around because I affixed a bell to it and enjoy knowing when she is getting into trouble ;)

I used to take them out on the tiny green patch I call a lawn, but since the apartment managers hire incompetent gardeners I can't take them out anymore. They will fertilize and spray pesticides without notice or putting signs up, and I don't want my bunnies to die because I missed a sign somewhere.

That being said, it just takes patience and practice. Every other day put the harness on your rabbit and leave it on for about 5-10 minutes before removing it, and reward with a treat. Increase the duration as you see fit until your bunny is comfortable wearing the harness. Then you can work out leash issues!

Just to prove it can be rewarding for you and your bun, here is an old photo of Debbie and in her skinnier days

Strawberrie
Jan 7, 2008
fields forever

AltruisticNemesis posted:

Bun Fleas

My vet actually told me that you can use a dab of the cat flea stuff if the bun has any bugs. Only a dab though and where they can't reach it, like the back of the head near the neck. And my rabbit got some from the darn cat in the first place, but as Girlscout said, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Melicious posted:

Bowser

Windy posted:

Debbie

I figured patience is what works with most rabbits, but seeing him run around all terrified just makes me feel really bad. :( He's all like "oh god there is something on my back and I can't get it off". And I don't even have a yard, though there is a park nearby. I'll try again later then but I'll give him a few days to recover from his 'harrowing ordeal' first.

Oh and Windy what a cute harness. Mine's just a boring blue. Less comfortable too.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

quote:

fleas Fleas FLEAS

Rabbits can certainly get fleas and there's no reason not to apply treatment preventatively if you're putting them into a situation where they might be exposed.

Do NOT use any type of flea shampoo. Even something from a vet. Shampooing a rabbit is a BAD idea and can be far more toxic to rabbits than to cats or dogs.

Do NOT use FRONTLINE. It's highly toxic to rabbits.

DO use Revolution (selamectin) or Advantage (imidacloprid). Personally, I prefer Revolution, because it has a well-established clinical trials record in rabbits, even though it's still technically an off-label use.

For Revolution, the dose is 6mg/kg, and the adult cat size tube has a strength of 60mg/mL, containing .75 mL. So you apply .1mL per 1000 grams of rabbit. If your rabbit weighs 1kg, the tube will treat him 7.5 times.

I typically do a monthly preventative treatment when I my rescue is doing intakes; once every six months if I'm not doing intakes, and once every two weeks for 6 weeks if I'm trying to kill an active infestation.

Finally, BUY IT FROM A VET. You really can't be certain what you're getting or whether it's expired when you buy online. Your vet should sell you one tube for about $14-$20, it's cheaper than a visit to the emergency vet.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The day after tomorrow, I am wrestling Cowslip into the carrier, and hauling him, as well as the baby I nanny for, to the spay/neuter clinic. What I would give for someone to document this, as Cowslip HATES the carrier, despite me trying to get him used to it, and the rabbit is nearly the same weight as the baby. At least I'll be balanced between carseat carrier and rabbit carrier weight.

Bagelworm, Nobbs is so adorable! He really could be Mo's twin.

Vaishino
Nov 14, 2003

He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds
We're having problems with Danger. He makes trips out to visit me when his owner(my girlfriend) comes to visit, and for the first while there weren't any problems. Now though, he's started peeing outside of the litterbox. He's already litter trained, but he's been peeing on my bed. He also peed on her bed, but we chalked that up to moving stress(we'd just adopted him) and being scared(all the cats wanted to see him). Is there anything we can do? We thought maybe he didn't like his new litterbox for over here, so we bought him a new one at the store when we went for mroe litter and food. He's also trying to mark my whole room as his by pooping all over the place, which may or may not have anything to do with it.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Vaishino posted:

We're having problems with Danger. He makes trips out to visit me when his owner(my girlfriend) comes to visit, and for the first while there weren't any problems. Now though, he's started peeing outside of the litterbox. He's already litter trained, but he's been peeing on my bed. He also peed on her bed, but we chalked that up to moving stress(we'd just adopted him) and being scared(all the cats wanted to see him). Is there anything we can do? We thought maybe he didn't like his new litterbox for over here, so we bought him a new one at the store when we went for mroe litter and food. He's also trying to mark my whole room as his by pooping all over the place, which may or may not have anything to do with it.

Is he neutered?

Vaishino
Nov 14, 2003

girlscoutdropout posted:

Is he neutered?

We're fairly certain he isn't.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

NMR posted:

I figured patience is what works with most rabbits, but seeing him run around all terrified just makes me feel really bad. :( He's all like "oh god there is something on my back and I can't get it off". And I don't even have a yard, though there is a park nearby. I'll try again later then but I'll give him a few days to recover from his 'harrowing ordeal' first.

Oh and Windy what a cute harness. Mine's just a boring blue. Less comfortable too.

How does the harness close? That might make a difference. The one I have was purchased at PetCo or PetsMart. I forget, but should be available at either. It fastens under the neck and under the stomach with velcro. There are actual safety clasps on nylon collar type material as well that fit over the velcro'd straps. You can kind of see it under her neck in that photo. When I put it on Murphy I can't secure the safety clasps because he'll throw a fit. He's sometimes worse than trying to saddle a horse.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Windy posted:

How does the harness close? That might make a difference. The one I have was purchased at PetCo or PetsMart. I forget, but should be available at either. It fastens under the neck and under the stomach with velcro. There are actual safety clasps on nylon collar type material as well that fit over the velcro'd straps. You can kind of see it under her neck in that photo. When I put it on Murphy I can't secure the safety clasps because he'll throw a fit. He's sometimes worse than trying to saddle a horse.

There's clasps on it like the kind you get on a backpack or on climber's gear. But getting it on isn't the problem really, he'll sit still the whole time because to him it feels like I'm petting him or scratching him behind the ears. The problem is when he realizes I'm not petting him anymore and that there's something on his back that he can't outrun.

While the result looks hilarious it makes it difficult for me to catch him and get the harness off again.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Vaishino posted:

We're fairly certain he isn't.

This could help. It also could be the stress of the move. If he's not neutered, I would do it asap, he'll more likely start spraying pee everywhere.

Vaishino
Nov 14, 2003

girlscoutdropout posted:

This could help. It also could be the stress of the move. If he's not neutered, I would do it asap, he'll more likely start spraying pee everywhere.

Well, he's only done it a few times, and he's been here a whole lot in the last few weeks. I mean, we got him on New Years Eve, so I figured if any behavioural stuff was gonna pop up it would have already happened, and this didn't start until just a few days ago.

Edit: And he's five years old, and this never happened before.

Vaishino fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 16, 2008

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Vaishino posted:

I figured if any behavioural stuff was gonna pop up it would have already happened, and this didn't start until just a few days ago.

Quite the reverse, actually. Bunnies in a new environment are typically on their "best behavior" - they are cautious because they don't know what predators there might be, or what other rabbits might be in the territory about to kick their rear end. Behavioral problems like spray marking and digging typically crop up once the rabbit has become comfortable and is starting to establish the territory as "theirs".

The number one complaint I hear from people surrendering a rabbit is "but he was so sweet at first! Now he's unmanageable!" And the number one fix is spay/neuter.

Seriously, an unneutered rabbit is a terror. Get it done ASAP.

Edit: I neutered an 8 year old who had no grasp of litterbox usage. He was picture perfect within 60 days of surgery.

Master_Jay
Jan 6, 2007
Two questions:

My bunny is young, about less than a month, but he REFUSES to eat Alfalfa hay. If I give him any form of Alfalfa Hay, he'll bury it in his litter. Is there any replacement for Alfalfa hay? Oddly enough, he'll gobble Timothy Hay though.

When he's older and my house is re-bunnyproofed, I want him to have free range of the house but my Mom will kill me if there is a lot of bunny poop on the ground. Is there any way to reduce his amounts of accidents?

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Master_Jay posted:

Two questions:

My bunny is young, about less than a month, but he REFUSES to eat Alfalfa hay. If I give him any form of Alfalfa Hay, he'll bury it in his litter. Is there any replacement for Alfalfa hay? Oddly enough, he'll gobble Timothy Hay though.

When he's older and my house is re-bunnyproofed, I want him to have free range of the house but my Mom will kill me if there is a lot of bunny poop on the ground. Is there any way to reduce his amounts of accidents?

If he won't eat the alfalfa, I guess give him timothy? I don't know much about young bunnies, I'm sure someone else with more knowledge will answer this one.

Yep. Neuter. You can't do this until he is older though, even after you neuter him, it will take 6 weeks or so for all his hormones out of his system. Right now he's a baby, he's going to have accidents. Go ahead and put litter boxes in his cage (the more the better). Start with a small area when you let him run and around, and again, have lots of litter boxes. The older, and after he's neutered, you can expand his space and lessen the litter box numbers.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Master_Jay posted:

If he likes the timothy, he's fine. If you want to try some other hays, Oxbow also makes orchard grass and botanical ones that Bandit (who you can see as my avatar) just loves. =};3

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Now both of the boys are eunuchs. Mo responded to Cowslip's loss by trying to hump him quickly. Boys!

I'm wondering if my two ever really bonded to start with, since Mo was neutered before Cowslip came around, and now Cowslip's fixed as well. They don't fight at all, and I see them usually lying next to each other and grooming, so I assume they are all right?

Mo does this odd teeth grinding noise when I scratch around his jaws, and he seems content to stay for the pets as long as I scratch him. Is this just his way to saying "Keep going, bitch?" rather than "something is wrong with me FIX IT!"?

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Mo does this odd teeth grinding noise when I scratch around his jaws, and he seems content to stay for the pets as long as I scratch him. Is this just his way to saying "Keep going, bitch?" rather than "something is wrong with me FIX IT!"?

From what I've heard a soft grinding is a good thing, and it means they're happy. Both of mine do it too when i scratch their cheeks. However if it's very loud apparently it means pain, but if it's just when you scratch his cheeks I wouldn't worry about it.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
Cowslips, if your two aren't fighting, that's an excellent sign. Trust me, you'll know if they don't like each other.

And teeth grinding quietly is a good sign, it does mean they're happy. Rats do the same thing. I would only be worried if they do it with a really spazzed out look on their face.

HildyJohnson
May 7, 2007
My rabbit just ate my shoe : (
My rabbit has learned to read me WAY too well. Like, mind-reader well. She has free run of most of my apartment (I bunny-proofed before I unpacked my own stuff, if that tells you who's in charge), but yesterday morning I wanted to put her in her cage before I left because I knew maintenance would be coming by, and she is technically a "caged animal" on my lease. She voluntarily spends half her time in there anyway, it's where all her stuff is, so easy, right?

So I went and got her breakfast and called her over, just like I always do, and she got all excited just like usual, and we walk over to her cage with her tripping me up at my feet exactly like we do every time she gets any food/treats. Then as I knelt down to put her food inside (exactly where it always goes), she took one look at me and just fled behind the couch, refusing to come out even after I put the food down and walked away. I swear I was not making any crazy expression, in fact I was being really careful to act normally since she's been ridiculous to get in her carrier lately and I knew she might smell a rat. And I've never had much trouble faking emotions/lying to people. It's downright creepy.

Anyway she won, because I really wasn't that worried about it and I had to leave. But I can't stop trying to figure out how she outsmarted me! HOW?!

EDIT: Also, despite the fact that it's an epic battle to get her in the carrier when I have to take her anywhere, she goes in just to hang out/dig all the time when I'm around. I swear she's mocking me :mad:

HildyJohnson fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 20, 2008

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

your reviews aren't that good

Master_Jay posted:

Two questions:

He's still pretty young for hay. Here's what the House Rabbit Society has to say about diet according to age.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
Do any of you know where I can get good quality timothy hay in Canada? All the sites I've looked at are States-based, and can't ship to Canada because it's considered a grocery item.

I'm using some half-crappy hay from Walmart right now, but I'm halfway through the bag. My only alternative to the petsotre/walmart stuff is horse hay from local farmers, which wouldn't be very good halfway though the winter...

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

For anyone who's buns love chewing on pine cones, Michael's, the craft store (at least in my area) is having an 80% off on pine cones right now. I got 4 bags of 6-8 cones each at 79 cents a bag! Beware though, there are ones in a plastic bag that are regular pine cones, and there are ones in a mesh bag that are SCENTED with cinnamon or something. Obviously the scented one would probably be bad. (it's also 21 cents more per bag!) The Michael's in Emeryville CA is having this sale, hopefully the one near you is too!

theflosquito
Feb 20, 2005
In rod we trust!
My little guy Pickle is going through a heavy (HEAVY) shed. Every day I spend a bit of time brushing and picking out the extra fur. Now he has lost all of his guard hair on his back. Will he also lose his undercoat, or will he only shed the longer hair.

His fur seems to be coming off in clumps, his sides aren't shedding much. Is that normal??

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

theflosquito posted:

My little guy Pickle is going through a heavy (HEAVY) shed. Every day I spend a bit of time brushing and picking out the extra fur. Now he has lost all of his guard hair on his back. Will he also lose his undercoat, or will he only shed the longer hair.

His fur seems to be coming off in clumps, his sides aren't shedding much. Is that normal??

As long as it's clumps with NO BARE SPOTS remaining, yes that's normal. But if he's losing clumps with bare skin showing, there's a problem.

My NZW Roo has incredible sheds - during a shed I can literally get two handfuls out with even the lightest touch. Pity it's too short to sell to the yarn-makers.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Maybe you can stuff a pillow with it. :D

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
Well, we now have Buster!

He's an 8-month male rabbit, you know, the normal kind. He's a complete opposite personality than Nobbers...

He's really active, likes to jump, doesn't look disgusted when you pet him (In fact, he'll lick you). He even runs on the hardwood! (Though, not well...) His presence has Nobbers more active too. Of course, the moment they saw each other (I have them seperated fof, but they can see/sniff each other) they went on a territory-marking spree.

He's not neutered yet, so it'll be a good month or so (I'll have him neutered by then) before I dare introduce them without them being seperated.

I can't wait until they like each other. I'm hoping he'll keep Nobbers entertained and active, and that Nobbers will mellow him out.

Pictures coming!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Cowslip has warmed up a good deal since his nuts disappeared. He's still not one for being picked up, but he's a good deal more curious about peeking his head out and getting pet.

He is a Cowslip, but drat if every time I tell someone his name, they keep asking for a repeat. No, not Cows Lip, Cowslip! It's a flower, damnit!

A while ago I picked up a large chincilla cage that should fit the rabbits fine. But I'm worried that if they both are sitting in the top-most tier, then the cage will topple over. Short of tying the cage down with studs (Mom will never go for that on the new carpet!) what else can I do?

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

if its next to a wall, you could do a wall mount, a zip tie to an eye hook would be fine and it could be totally inconspicuous, maybe behind their box or something. If it's free standing in the room, I dunno, post a picture so we can get a feel for it.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I suppose you can always put some bricks at the bottom. But knowing rabbits, they'll probably all push them to one side of the cage.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

My bunny's poop has become a distinctly lighter shade of brown in the last week or so and I am wondering if this is a problem. Her diet hasn't changed - as per suggestion from the rabbit house page she gets dill and dandelion or carrot usually. She hasn't really warmed to any other veggies. The only difference in the last few weeks I can think of is I took away the water bottle and instead she has a bowl with her water, but this was after a few weeks with the bowl and after she demonstrated she'd figured out how to drink from the bowl. She is also shedding again (just started a few days ago), if this is relevant. Is this something I should take her to a vet over or is she okay?

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

angelicism posted:

My bunny's poop has become a distinctly lighter shade of brown in the last week or so and I am wondering if this is a problem. Her diet hasn't changed - as per suggestion from the rabbit house page she gets dill and dandelion or carrot usually. She hasn't really warmed to any other veggies. The only difference in the last few weeks I can think of is I took away the water bottle and instead she has a bowl with her water, but this was after a few weeks with the bowl and after she demonstrated she'd figured out how to drink from the bowl. She is also shedding again (just started a few days ago), if this is relevant. Is this something I should take her to a vet over or is she okay?

I wouldn't worry unless she's pooping less frequently (or stopping completely), if they are soft, or her droppings are smaller. Smaller droppings indicate that she's dehydrated. My bun's poop has changed in color occasionally, I just assumed it was the different veggie I gave them, because I alternate my bunny's veggies weekly.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I swear Billy still confuses the hell out of me sometimes. He was sitting contently eating some corn then all of a sudden he growls, stomps on the ground and jumps halfway across the room. He was "on alert" for like ten minutes even though there were no unusual sounds or presences to be heard. I mean my neighbours were being noisy but they're always noisy so that's nothing out of the ordinary.

I guess he was noticing something that I wasn't, but I have no idea what :ghost:

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

girlscoutdropout posted:

I wouldn't worry unless she's pooping less frequently (or stopping completely), if they are soft, or her droppings are smaller. Smaller droppings indicate that she's dehydrated. My bun's poop has changed in color occasionally, I just assumed it was the different veggie I gave them, because I alternate my bunny's veggies weekly.

Oh good, I guess Zen's diet has been a bit dandelion heavy; she loves the leafy bit, will sometimes deign to eat the stem bit -- she is such a picky eater. It's probably time to try to introduce another veggie anyway. Even though she's rejected parsley, cilantro and I think it was watercress, and I've given up hope of finding anything she loves even a little as much as she loves dill (which isn't even on the rabbit house list of veggies, so I'm still wary of giving her too much).

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

angelicism posted:

Oh good, I guess Zen's diet has been a bit dandelion heavy; she loves the leafy bit, will sometimes deign to eat the stem bit -- she is such a picky eater. It's probably time to try to introduce another veggie anyway. Even though she's rejected parsley, cilantro and I think it was watercress, and I've given up hope of finding anything she loves even a little as much as she loves dill (which isn't even on the rabbit house list of veggies, so I'm still wary of giving her too much).

Have you tried kale or spinach? My buns love them, you only can feed them sparingly though. Green leaf, red leaf, or romaine lettuce? Bell pepper? Collard greens? Have you tried both types of parsley? My bunnies will eat both, but they definitely prefer Italian over curly.

Edit: Broccoli?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

NMR posted:

I swear Billy still confuses the hell out of me sometimes. He was sitting contently eating some corn then all of a sudden he growls, stomps on the ground and jumps halfway across the room. He was "on alert" for like ten minutes even though there were no unusual sounds or presences to be heard. I mean my neighbours were being noisy but they're always noisy so that's nothing out of the ordinary.

I guess he was noticing something that I wasn't, but I have no idea what :ghost:

Your rabbit is protecting you from the Black Rabbit of Inle.

Be aware!

I'd love to hear my rabbits make noise, but no growls or purrs or anything. Then again, that's probably a good thing too...

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

Your rabbit is protecting you from the Black Rabbit of Inle.

Be aware!

I'd love to hear my rabbits make noise, but no growls or purrs or anything. Then again, that's probably a good thing too...

I've only heard him growl like once or twice in his life. It's not a very intimidating sound. More like a baby having a very brief asthma attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
We call Bowser's grunting "oinks" because they basically just sound like a slightly quieter pig noise. It's actually kind of humorous, and I like to think it just makes her even huffier to hear us giggle at her "big scary bunny" noises.