Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Coredump posted:

I haven't had a chance to read all this thread yet, only halfway through. BUT, how the hell are you 6+ footers fitting in these drat cars? I went to find a NB yesterday to sit in at a couple of dealerships. They all jerked me around because I guess I don't look like a serious car buyer. I finally got frustrated and went to a Mazda dealership to see if they had any older NB's in stock.

When I got there of course they didn't have any. I still decided to take the opportunity to sit in an NC even though I know they are a lot roomier inside than an NB. Now I'm only 5'10" on the best of days and I had the seat all the way back and leaned back as far as it would go. If I slouched in the seat I was okay but I sat up straight I was in the roof. This was a soft top also.

Is there really that much room to be gain with a NB and foamectomy? Does anyone here have aftermarket seats in their car? Does it give you a lot more room? I admit I'm a fat fucker but I have room around the steering wheel and all the other places being a fat fucker would cause problems. I just can't believe how hard my head is in the roof of this thing.

If only 240's were not impossible to find.

I am 6'3.25" and I fit in my NA just fine. It all has to do with your proportions. If you have too much leg or too much torso you will not fit, but if you're pretty evenly distributed you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"

Phone posted:

Most of the noises are new, and in the back of my mind catastrophic engine failure is just looming around the corner at every possible minute. I know I'm being a paranoid little bitch, but poo poo tends to roll downhill.
Oh god, I know this feeling. I am a bundle of neurosis about my car. The lifter noise in my NA on a cold morning makes me wonder when one of my connecting rods is going to exit the block, or whether the heater hose is going to burst and allow me to cook my engine without even knowing it. My transmission whines, so it's obviously going to fall out, blow up, kill a child, and leave me stranded.

There has to be a therapist for car hypochondriacs.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

brosef deluxe posted:

Oh god, I know this feeling. I am a bundle of neurosis about my car. The lifter noise in my NA on a cold morning makes me wonder when one of my connecting rods is going to exit the block, or whether the heater hose is going to burst and allow me to cook my engine without even knowing it. My transmission whines, so it's obviously going to fall out, blow up, kill a child, and leave me stranded.

If it makes you feel any better, mine does the same things and I sometimes think the same thoughts, despite not actually having any real symptoms of intense wear or failure. We can be car hypochondriacs together. :smith:

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Vitamin J posted:

They are awesome motors. You can pull apart a 150k mile Miata motor, and still see the honing marks on the piston walls. 150k is just break in on these cars.

Mine had honing marks at 215k miles when I got a valvejob done.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Coredump posted:

I don't get it. Maybe I grew since my last physical but I'm all of 5'10" on a good day and my head was IN that NC's roof. I had the spreader bars for the top resting on my scalp. I had to slouch to the point that I could tell it wouldn't be comfortable for a long drive before I could get out of the roof.
I'm 6'1 and I agree with you- these are NOT cars for tall men. If you need to cut an inch of foam out just to be able to physically cram your knees under the wheel... you shouldn't be driving a miata. Sorry!

The NCs are significantly larger; large enough that I can comfortably fit (and I all-around really like the car) but it's still pretty snug compared to most american and european cars, and my head is about 2" into the slipstream, which makes it pretty uncomfortable to drive at highway speeds with the top down, especially when compared to other roadsters. You guys that are 6' and driving NAs or NBs, go do yourselves a favor (or disfavor, as the case may be) and sit in a corvette or a BMW sometime- a car that's actually designed for people your height- and then re-examine how well you can "fit" into your miata.

brosef deluxe posted:

I dunno, I'm quite the opposite- I can't WAIT for my car to die! I cheer at every new sqeak and rattle and was dissapointed to find out the high pitched squeal was just the alternator, and the "chassis is about to snap in half" squeak was just a joint somewhere in the right-front suspension. Losing trust in this car to get me to work in the morning is probably the only real excuse I'll have to go buy me a hot new roadster :D Otherwise, I know what'll happen- 2 years from now, I'll still be driving the same beat to hell car, waiting for it to die.

grover fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 6, 2008

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
I dunno how you guys are barely fitting in. Im 6'3 and fit without ANY modification to the seats at all. Its almost all the way back and slightly tilted. Perfect fit for me. Although, I'll probably have to do a foamectomy if I want to fit in there with a helmet on and the top up.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

mobn posted:

I am 6'3.25" and I fit in my NA just fine. It all has to do with your proportions. If you have too much leg or too much torso you will not fit, but if you're pretty evenly distributed you'll be fine.
NA's seem to have the most room, NB's the least.

I'm 5'9", which is fortunate as I am "stereotypical American male" and everything is designed to fit me. I have the seat in my NB almost to the firewall and I can't recline it. I can wear a helmet in the car without rubbing the roof.

All that said, anything over that height is all about porportions. Some people who are 6'1" fit and others need a foamectomy. Then there's my 6'1" brother who is all torso and he won't fit without a racing seat that's bolted to the floor. Then again, he didn't fit in my Corvette either. Or my Mustang.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Schwack posted:

I dunno how you guys are barely fitting in. Im 6'3 and fit without ANY modification to the seats at all. Its almost all the way back and slightly tilted. Perfect fit for me. Although, I'll probably have to do a foamectomy if I want to fit in there with a helmet on and the top up.

I wish I could get someone like you to go with me to go check out a Miata. At this point something is not adding up. Either I'm not really 5'10" or you're not really 6'3". That's a 5 inch height difference and my head was IN the roof and you can fit fine? I know my rear end isn't THAT big.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

chem42 posted:

Miata engines are pretty much unblowupable. Big forged rods, oil squirters, iron block, etc. It's a non-interferance motor (which is rare for a high strung DOHC motor) so even a timing belt failure is no biggie.

To be fair, now, they are badass, but the rods aren't forged (at least I don't believe they are).

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Just posting to say that grinder from Autokonexion is making some progress.. evidently this will be available sometime in March 2008 -- Link.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

destructo posted:

Just posting to say that grinder from Autokonexion is making some progress.. evidently this will be available sometime in March 2008 -- Link.

JDM posted:

For the last time, yes the trunk will still be functional.

How do they do that? A hatch then a trunk? I've never seen now the S2k ones work either.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Ziploc posted:

How do they do that? A hatch then a trunk? I've never seen now the S2k ones work either.

The trunk (with integrated lip spoiler) and the hatch will come as one piece, with a door that opens onto the trunk. The piece will attach/replace the rear glass on your current hardtop.

Willie D
Dec 29, 2006

by Ozma

chem42 posted:

It's a non-interferance motor (which is rare for a high strung DOHC motor) so even a timing belt failure is no biggie.

Does this mean if my cambelt snaps the car should be ok?

vonkin
Jun 26, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

willd58 posted:

Does this mean if my cambelt snaps the car should be ok?

Yup.

Mo Hawk
Jul 17, 2006
HEADPHONE JACK

Vitamin J posted:

They are awesome motors. You can pull apart a 150k mile Miata motor, and still see the honing marks on the piston walls. 150k is just break in on these cars.

I love it when people look at my mileage counter and go: "Wow, 170.000 kilometers, and it still runs! How much does it cost in repairs every year?"
Then I tell them I do all the work myself. To some of them it is surprising, they don't even know how to change their tires, so they go like :eek:
Then I tell them that it's not, as they assumed, 170.000 kilometers (Germany), but it's over 270.000 kilometers (170.000 miles, US model). :aaa:

Even though with todays cars it's not as rare as some make it out to be that they are capable of a lifespan beyond 200.000 miles. It's not like they're gonna rust faster than you can weld like some cars of the 60s and 70s. The biggest problem for oldtimer fans in 20 years are going to be the electronics of the current models, as I am sure that there is going to be almost no one around with the know how and equipment to troubleshoot and repair them.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Actually I didn't even really consider that having a fat rear end would increase your "sitting height" regardless of your standing height. Also, have a big rear end may cause you to have to sit "forward" on the seat, somewhat out of the lowest part of the bucket, robbing you of another inch or so.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
MIATA MEGATHREAD: Not For Fat-Asses

But yeah, thats probably a good point. Although, it could just be how some people prefer to sit as well. Im actually a bit confused about how well I fit in mine. I used to drive my moms 91 around and I could BARELY fit in that thing. It was hard to work the steering wheel etc. When I first sat in mine I fit with room to spare. I'm really not sure what they changed from 91 to 95 as far as the seats go, but it worked out great for me.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Mo Hawk posted:

I love it when people look at my mileage counter and go: "Wow, 170.000 kilometers, and it still runs! How much does it cost in repairs every year?"
Then I tell them I do all the work myself. To some of them it is surprising, they don't even know how to change their tires, so they go like :eek:
Then I tell them that it's not, as they assumed, 170.000 kilometers (Germany), but it's over 270.000 kilometers (170.000 miles, US model). :aaa:

170,000 km is like just over 100,000 miles, right? Any car I buy better drat well still be running fine after 100,000 miles. It really makes you wonder how people treat their cars if they're amazed at a well-running 100k+ mile car made in the past 20 years. Even 170k miles isn't a lot if taken care of. It's up there, but it's far from death and/or money pit status (especially for a Miata).

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Schwack posted:

MIATA MEGATHREAD: Not For Fat-Asses

:( But I have a really good personality...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Apr 23, 2005
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Coredump posted:

I'll see what happens on Miata.net then. How friendly are they to new people just jumping in and saying "I need to sit in your car!"? I know a lot of automotive forums have a newbie area they make you post in 10 times or more.

I've found that about 99% of miata owners I've met are nice people. I'm sure someone would let you sit in their car to try it out. I would let you if you lived close to me.

vonkin
Jun 26, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Apparently NA's are still a hot item for advertisements, as shown on this Myspace ad...

Mo Hawk
Jul 17, 2006
HEADPHONE JACK

Guinness posted:

170,000 km is like just over 100,000 miles, right? Any car I buy better drat well still be running fine after 100,000 miles. It really makes you wonder how people treat their cars if they're amazed at a well-running 100k+ mile car made in the past 20 years. Even 170k miles isn't a lot if taken care of. It's up there, but it's far from death and/or money pit status (especially for a Miata).

Most of them are spoiled by their parents, have never bought a used car and sell them when they have about 60.000 km on them. :doh:

At least they help poorer people like me being able to afford cool used cars by purchasing them new and selling them with a huge loss shortly after. :woop:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
First off, yay sawzalls! I'm able to get my daisies wrapped with Azenis back from my 96. However, I think I've pinpointed where this weirdass crackling noise is coming from: the pop-ups. Occasionally when I'm driving at night, I'll hear some noise, and tonight I put them on and off. While up, the noise was present. Turn them off and it disappeared. Anybody ever hear of something like this?

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

"Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little."
College Slice

willd58 posted:

Wait what? I love my miata because of the exact opposite, when compared with expensive higher strung cars like my old one where every noise means £1000 bill, the same would cost for a whole new engine in a Miata, and a weird noise normally doesn't meant anything anyway!

I didn't mean it in the reliability sense, it just creaks and makes more noise than other cars, thats what makes it unique.

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
I've noticed a screeching/squeaking noise lately from somewhere in the engine bay. At first I thought it was just the soft top, but after enjoying the good weather the past few days I have to say its definitely coming from somewhere else. I'm a bit of a deafening bastard, but I think its coming from the front.
It appears to be velocity dependent and is only noticeable around 20 to 40 mph after the car has warmed up. It's not the breaks and definitely not my belt. Sometimes it disappears when I step on the clutch, or switch out of gear, usually it does not though. I'm not experiencing any trouble except annoyance.
Since I couldn't reproduce the noise while standing I'm a bit baffled and have to ask for your guesses.

vonkin
Jun 26, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Could it be one of the clutch squeals?
On my Phat Hooptey, the clutch squeals if I lightly press it (maybe 1/2 inch in) and sounds like a turbo spooling.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/s003_95.html

vonkin fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 11, 2008

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Yeah. :madmax:

edit: goddammit, had no idea it was a RX-7 hood.

destructo fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 11, 2008

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hood cover?

Mo Hawk
Jul 17, 2006
HEADPHONE JACK

destructo posted:

:woop:
Usually I hate "artistically" painted cars, but this one's awesome. The air scoop's not my favorite, but the monster makes up for it.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

destructo posted:

Nice RX-7 hood you got there.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

destructo posted:

The, uh, rotors on the top didn't give it away? :v:

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

destructo posted:

Hahaha, did you actually order this thing for your Miata?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 15, 2014

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

Slopehead posted:

:words:
I can tell you for certain that that isn't an M-Edition. The M was never offered in black, among other reasons.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Trans Ferdinand posted:

I can tell you for certain that that isn't an M-Edition. The M was never offered in black, among other reasons.

M-Edition Colors

Any other reasons why?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Slopehead posted:

Hey gentlemen I am considering purchasing my first Mazda Miata. I have always had good luck with Mazdas, my Protege just went past 180 K but I am in need of something with a little bit more pep. a local dealership has a rather fetching 1996 Miata . I ran a carfax which comes up clean. It's been driven at an average of 10K a year and has no reported body damage.

I spoke to the dealer briefly who stated that as it is an auction vehicle there are no service records. Despite this I will still be taking a look at the vehicle tomorrow.

Am I out of my mind here? Edmunds posts the dealer TMV (base) at #3581, but the M Edition (leather seats) at $4,356. If this is indeed the M and has leather seats it would be right in the TMV and a great deal, right?

I believe that it is the M-Edition, as it has an AC which does not come standard on the base model. Also if you look carefully the seats appear to be leather which would be another indicator of an M-Edition.

On a side note, are there any problems that I should know about a Miata? Things breaking around 100K? Issues with electrical demons or motor problems? I've heard that the 5 speed is awesome on Miatas. I would be learning to drive stick in this car, are there any quirks I should know about beforehand?

Pretty much, any and all information you can sling my way as a first time car buyer would be appreciated.

Leather and AC is C-Package, not M-Edition.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Slopehead posted:

If this is indeed the M and has leather seats it would be right in the TMV and a great deal, right?

I believe that it is the M-Edition, as it has an AC which does not come standard on the base model. Also if you look carefully the seats appear to be leather which would be another indicator of an M-Edition.
No, it is not an M-edition.

All first gen special and M-editions had tan leather and a tan top (other than the 1991 SE, which had tan leather interior and a black top). So, that's the first thing to look for. However, tan (and only tan) leather was available as a factory option, so that's not completely conclusive. All special editions were painted in a color that was not available on any other Miata. For 1996, that special color was Starlight Blue Mica, which often looks like black in photos. However, this car does not have the right wheels either and is missing the "M" badge on the front fenders. There's absolutely nothing on this car that would normally be found only on an M-edition car.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Alright I stand overwhelmingly corrected.

That being said is this still a decent enough deal if I am able to talk the guy down towards the TMV?

Edit: I am on a budget and don't really want to spend more than $5K on a vehicle, TT&L included.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Slopehead posted:

Alright I stand overwhelmingly corrected.

That being said is this still a decent enough deal if I am able to talk the guy down towards the TMV?

Edit: I am on a budget and don't really want to spend more than $5K on a vehicle, TT&L included.

Spend $500 more and buy my 99 miata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 15, 2014