Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Also after long and impressive exchanges, kind of like the standard indy-standoff pose to give the audience a moment to cheer for a particularly impressive sequence.

My favorite is when during huge tags all 8-10 people including the ref do it simultaneously, then the ref and some of the rudos freak out about it like they just couldn't help themselves but participate. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Destructo
Jun 14, 2005

My SKULL!

Illinois Smith posted:

Also after long and impressive exchanges, kind of like the standard indy-standoff pose to give the audience a moment to cheer for a particularly impressive sequence.

My favorite is when during huge tags all 8-10 people including the ref do it simultaneously, then the ref and some of the rudos freak out about it like they just couldn't help themselves but participate. :)

I also remember when Osaka Pro did Liger/Delphin vs. Kikutaro/Kamen they did it and Liger didn't jump, Liger then freaked out like he had been left out of a joke. Even the ref joined in, straight faced.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I just became a huge Tiger Mask mark. Thank you, internet!

http://highspots.com/product.asp?id=18378&category=0

GOGO TIGAH!

Also, I've had this for the longest time but never found a match listing:

http://highspots.com/product.asp?id=18089&category=0

coconono fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 9, 2008

Dr. Destructo
Jun 14, 2005

My SKULL!

coconono posted:

Also, I've had this for the longest time but never found a match listing:

http://highspots.com/product.asp?id=18089&category=0

Wow, I could sure go for one of those.

I don't know why, but the fact that Mutoh looks perpetually worried about being hit with a well-swung fish outside of the ring is one of the things that has endeared him to me.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/73742
THIS WEEK: Kenta Kobashi career-in-matches, part 1. Plus other stuff.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

- Former Two-Time IWGP Champion Yugi Nagata, 39, was rushed to the hospital earlier today. He showed up to the Tokyo Sumo Hall for the New Japan show, was complaining of severe head pain, and also had no control of the left side of his body. Those backstage say that Nagata was speaking clearly, and that he had control of the right side of his body. Nagata was suffering from sever headaches a few weeks ago, but never got them checked out and continued to work. Doctors at the event thought he may have suffered a stroke. Nagata was scheduled to face Hirooki Goto on the below card [Credit: Wrestlingobserver.com]

edit: also:
* IWGP unification title match: Shinsuke Nakamura (IWGP 2nd belt champion) defeated Kurt Angle (IWGP 3rd belt champion) in 13 minutes, 55 seconds by submission. [Credit: puroresupower.com]

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 17, 2008

TheDuelies
Jul 13, 2005

I'd go gay for this goggle-eyed freak!
NJPW, 2/17/08 (WPW/PPV)
Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan
9,500 Fans

1. Intensely! Desperately!: Manabu Nakanishi, Takashi Iizuka, Koji Kanemoto & Tiger Mask beat Ryusuke Taguchi, Yujiro, Taichi Ishikari & Tetsuya Naito (9:45) when Nakanishi used an Argentine backbreaker on Naito.
2. Jr. NEW GENERATION: Christopher Daniels beat Wataru Inoue (13:00) with the Best Moonsault Ever.
3. Hiroyoshi Tenzan Return Match ~ Tenzan Home Coming: Riki Choshu, Masahiro Chono, Shiro Koshinaka & Super Strong Machine beat Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Jado, Gedo & Tomohiro Ishii (8:55) when Chono used a Shining Yakuza kick on Ishii.
4. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Jushin Thunder Liger & AKIRA beat Minoru & Prince Devitt (c) (14:55) when Liger used an avalanche-style brainbister on Devitt to become the 20th champions.
5. New Japan vs. TNA - The Highflying Star vs. The Phenomenal 2nd: Hiroshi Tanahashi beat AJ Styles (18:54) with the High Fly Flow.
6. IWGP Tag Team Title: Togi Makabe & Toru Yano beat Giant Bernard & Travis Tomko (c) (16:30) when Makabe used a top rope King Kong kneedrop on Tomko to become the 51st champions.
7. IWGP Heavyweight Title Unification Match - IWGP 2nd vs. IWGP 3rd: Shinsuke Nakamura (c) beat Kurt Angle (c) (13:55) with a cross armbreaker (1st defense) to become the new IWGP 3rd Belt Champion and unify the titles.

Fear my robot head.
Jul 4, 2007

THERE IS A SANTY CLAUSE!
I just watched Jado/Gedo vs. Kanemoto/Inoue for the IWGP junior tag titles from 3/4/05 after being amazed at the brutal looking picture of a blood-soaked Inoue on page 66 of the pictures thread.

The match was pretty good until the end, though I thought some of the spots could have been a little crisper and Inoue was a little over-sell-ous when he was getting his head slammed in the corner.

Now about the ending. What/how exactly is the Triangle Lancer supposed to hurt?

Gedo looks like he's going, "Owie, owie, please don't bend my arm the way it's supposed to bend! Oh... oh god no! NO PLEASE DON'T FLEX MY LEG IN A PERFECTLY NATURAL DIRECTION WHILE BENDING MY ARM IN THE WAY IT'S SUPPOSED TO BEND! I GIVE! I GIVE!"

Insights?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I'm pretty sure that it would be pulling the arm out of the shoulder socket if done as hard as possible.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://theditch.biz/results.html

All Japan '90s project voting is done! Take a look at the winners. I think the top 50 is a really great mix of what made it such a special product in the annals of pro wrestling.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ditch you are so awesome

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
What was the reasoning behind Ogawa's GHC win over Akiyama in 5 minutes? People are always saying "Well Akiyama was never the ace he was supposed to be," but Jesus loving Christ, between that and the Omori CC loss, it's not that hard to see why.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Captain Charisma posted:

What was the reasoning behind Ogawa's GHC win over Akiyama in 5 minutes? People are always saying "Well Akiyama was never the ace he was supposed to be," but Jesus loving Christ, between that and the Omori CC loss, it's not that hard to see why.
Fun fact: Akiyama and Kobashi have been the main forces on the creative side in NOAH. Also, IIRC Ogawa is really well liked among the NOAH crew.

So that makes it only, what, 99.9% retarded.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

Fun fact: Akiyama and Kobashi have been the main forces on the creative side in NOAH. Also, IIRC Ogawa is really well liked among the NOAH crew.

So that makes it only, what, 99.9% retarded.

Everytime I hear this I wonder what kind of childhood Akiyama had that makes him hate himself so much.

HwoodNG
May 4, 2004

Highly Respected SAS Wrestling Poster
From DGUSA:

quote:

19 Feb 2008 Dragon Gate - Next GHC Jr Tag

KENTA and Taiji Ishimori of NOAH have formally challenged for the GHC Jr Tag titles. Shingo and Hulk accepted, and the match will happen in Ota. We don't even have to go into the layers of intrigue involving Taiji in a DG ring.

3/20/2008 Tokyo, Ota-ku Gymnasium
-GHC Jr. Tag Titles: Shingo Takagi, BxB Hulk vs. KENTA, Taiji Ishimori
-Open the Dream Gate: CIMA vs. Masato Yoshino

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Ditch posted:

http://theditch.biz/results.html

All Japan '90s project voting is done! Take a look at the winners. I think the top 50 is a really great mix of what made it such a special product in the annals of pro wrestling.

51. Misawa vs Kobashi, 6/11/99

As my favorite match of all time, this makes me :smith:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

HwoodNG posted:

From DGUSA:

I love KENTA and Shingo. BB and Taiji are great punching bags.

So do NOAH and Dragon Gate have a working relationship or is this a one time thing?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

M.Kishiwada posted:

51. Misawa vs Kobashi, 6/11/99

As my favorite match of all time, this makes me :smith:
I think it's the first All Japan match I ever saw, and after a while its flaws became more and more obvious to me. I think the biggest problem is how spotty the finish is. In the past the All Japan crew was great at transitioning from move to move and maintaining momentum, but 6/11/99 is sorta move-rest-move-rest for a long time.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ditch posted:

I think it's the first All Japan match I ever saw, and after a while its flaws became more and more obvious to me. I think the biggest problem is how spotty the finish is. In the past the All Japan crew was great at transitioning from move to move and maintaining momentum, but 6/11/99 is sorta move-rest-move-rest for a long time.

I know I'll get crucified, but that's my main problem with Misawa/Kawada 94. Move, lay down. Move, lay down. Move, lay down. Tiger Driver 91. It just bored the hell out of me after all the hype of being a world ending, best match of all time.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I think they did a drat good job of keeping things up in 6/3/94. I do agree, however, that it doesn't live up to "the absolute best professional wrestling in existence" level of hype it's so often given.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I know this was mentioned a few pages back, but there have been some more confirmations, so far the big names confirmed on the NOAH show in the UK are:

Kobashi
Misawa
Danielson
McGuinness
Briscoes
Go Shiozaki
Marufuji

I've got 4th row seats booked, which I'm hoping will be OK. But my god it's going to be such a kick rear end show, considering how nuts all the UK crowds seem to be!

I've got a few questions, if anyone knows I'd really appreciate - Start time is 6:30, what time will it likely finish up? 10pm? I take it that they'll have merchandise stands in the arena, what about streamers? Is it worth paying the extra $30-40 for a meet and greet before the show? I don't really like the idea of a signature factory type thing, especially since it's not like I'm going to stick a photo on my wall, but it does seem silly to miss...

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to be posting this...My copy of Pro Wrestling NOAH First Navigation 07 arrived in the mail today and all I gotta say is that YOU SHOULD GET THIS EVENT! It's loving awesome. Especially the Briscoes vs Marvin & Suzuki (GHC Jr Heavyweight Tag Title) and the Morishima vs Misawa (GHC Heavyweight Title) matches!

Fear my robot head.
Jul 4, 2007

THERE IS A SANTY CLAUSE!

Ditch posted:

I think they did a drat good job of keeping things up in 6/3/94. I do agree, however, that it doesn't live up to "the absolute best professional wrestling in existence" level of hype it's so often given.

Thank you. Seeing you say it makes me more comfortable voicing my opinions about this. It's a very, very good match, but I never got what was so :gizz:OMG DA BEST OF ALL TIIIIIME:gizz: about it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Snuff Film at 11 posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to be posting this...My copy of Pro Wrestling NOAH First Navigation 07 arrived in the mail today and all I gotta say is that YOU SHOULD GET THIS EVENT! It's loving awesome. Especially the Briscoes vs Marvin & Suzuki (GHC Jr Heavyweight Tag Title) and the Morishima vs Misawa (GHC Heavyweight Title) matches!

Isn't that the Morishima-Misawa everyone hated where Misawa got knocked out like 3 minutes in?

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 22, 2008

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Captain Charisma posted:

Isn't that the Morishima-Misawa everyone hated where Misawa got knocked out like 3 minutes in?

Yes it is... it is not good. Yikes.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Thoughts on the latest Infinity episode:

- Tornado NEEDS to be brought back. The last guy to integrate himself so seamlessly into the rest of the roster was Jack Evans.
- Despite his age, I wish Iwasa could get a "learning excursion" (excuse to have a bunch of critically awesome matches) in the US too.
- Man, one of these days they gotta bring back Apache for one of these things.
- The last two matches are pretty much everything ROH's faction warfare wishes it could be when it cries itself to sleep at night.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
-What matches were really good
-How clipped were they

I skipped the last few episodes :(

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

1.Susumu Yokosuka, Ryo Saito, Anthony W Mori & Human Tornado vs. El Generico, Cyber Kong, Shinobu & Lupin Matsutani
Super fun stuff, everyone ends up looking really good and like I said, Tornado gives off the feeling that he's been wrestling with these guys for years. About 9 out of 16 minutes shown.

The Maximos look pretty much as bad as I remembered them, only about twice as huge. How the gently caress did they get on this tour anyway? Not as bad as it's made out to be by some people but still not very good. Same goes for the JAM cup, which is a lot weaker than last year's. The PAC vs Generico portion is as fun as usual though.

4. - Masato Yoshino vs. El Generico
This was pretty much exactly the 20-minute match you'd expect these two to have. If that's an idea that appeals to you, watch it ... I thought it might actually have worked a bit better with less time. No clipping in this one.

5. Yasushi Kanda & Genki Horiguchi vs. Taku Iwasa & Ken'ichiro Arai
Tozawa-juku strikes back! Compact (at 12 minutes), heated, classic piece of stable warfare. Arai gets his arms duct-taped to his side and it's glorious! Iwasa continues to be > you! At the end a Speed Muscle vs AraIwa match is announced for the next show and I'm losing my poo poo! Some minimal clipping here.

6. CIMA, Susumu Yokosuka, Dragon Kid & Human Tornado vs. SHINGO, Cyber Kong, Austin Aries & Jack Evans
This gets pretty nutty towards the end. Everyone looks sharp and they just keep piling those spots ontop of eachother. The camera dude sadly doesn't get around the fans in time for Tornado's rana off the basketball hoop. Pretty deftly clipped with 16 of 25 minutes shown.

Overall the episode is really fun even though there was a criminal amount of potentially awesome matchups left out, as usual with these tours.

Artemis Entreri
Oct 2, 2005

by Peatpot
Toshiaki Kawada & Shinjiro Ohtani destroyed RG & HG in 12 minutes, 46 seconds when Kawada viciously machine-gun chopped RG into oblivion.

Christ on a loving pony

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Alright, who has seen the Kobashi/Honda/Taniguchi vs. Marufuji/Sugiura/Morishima match from 2/21 and wants to comment on it? I hardly watch any wrestling these days but god drat if this wasn't one of the best matches I've seen in a long, long time. It's up on theditch.com, get it now if you haven't seen it because it's so great your eyeballs with do eyeball backflips.

EDIT: Duh it's Taniguchi not Taguchi.

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 25, 2008

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Artemis Entreri posted:

Toshiaki Kawada & Shinjiro Ohtani destroyed RG & HG in 12 minutes, 46 seconds when Kawada viciously machine-gun chopped RG into oblivion.

Christ on a loving pony

oh my loving god

Has Kobashi or any chop-wielding maniac done that kind of damage like Kawada before?

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Artemis Entreri posted:

Christ on a loving pony

loving poo poo, and I thought Danielson looked bad after his defense against Roderick Strong in Chicago back in '06... This is ten shades of awful :barf:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Illinois Smith posted:

1.Susumu Yokosuka, Ryo Saito, Anthony W Mori & Human Tornado vs. El Generico, Cyber Kong, Shinobu & Lupin Matsutani
Super fun stuff, everyone ends up looking really good and like I said, Tornado gives off the feeling that he's been wrestling with these guys for years. About 9 out of 16 minutes shown.
I am 99% sure the ref of this match is on the upper left in this pic:
http://www.theditch.biz/purobin/japan/DSC01592.JPG

I sat behind him and his Aussie friends at HUSTLE in my '06 trip. He mentioned being a ref and reffing for a tiny indy in Japan before. How he got to do Dragon Gate, I'm not sure, but... cool!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Isn't it some kind of tradition that RG gets brutally murdered every now and then? I vaguely remember Bob Sapp teeing off on him towards the end of last year.

Also, Kawada/Misawa vs. Gordy/Williams. Brilliant match. Those plucky Japanese guys gritted out a drubbing. Ny favorite scene was Williams striding back over to tag Gordy as Misawa and Kawada are laying there, utterly destroyed.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Artemis Entreri posted:

Christ on a loving pony

I just don't even know what to say. It's :gonk: personified, right down to the facial expression.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

coconono posted:

Isn't it some kind of tradition that RG gets brutally murdered every now and then? I vaguely remember Bob Sapp teeing off on him towards the end of last year.

Well, sort of but this definitely sets a new standard for this kind of thing.

Fear my robot head.
Jul 4, 2007

THERE IS A SANTY CLAUSE!

Artemis Entreri posted:

Christ on a loving pony

I don't really have anything new to add, so I'll just join the chorus.

OW OW OW loving OWIE OW OW! :gonk:

Artemis Entreri
Oct 2, 2005

by Peatpot
Seriously, what the gently caress is up with that picture? It looks like this blood vessel's popped look how dark it is around his neck. Does that even fully heal?

Dr. Destructo
Jun 14, 2005

My SKULL!

Dancing Peasant posted:

oh my loving god

Has Kobashi or any chop-wielding maniac done that kind of damage like Kawada before?

Kobashi once cut Tenryu open with a chop.

Think about that for a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Kobashi left nasty welts on muscular, tanned Sasaki in their singles match.

Dr. Destructo posted:

Kobashi once cut Tenryu open with a chop.

Think about that for a minute.
Um, that was a really obvious bladejob.