Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
schlaufux
Apr 28, 2007
just no stupid newbie k?

niknik posted:

I'd appreciate line checks on these hands. Most of them are with few reads/me being new to the table.

1. 3bet flop, maybe even overshove if you're really trying to get it in. Looks like you're up against an overpair to the board or a set, which would suck but c'est la vie.
2. Can't see myself folding this pretty much ever, plus nuts straight with no flush draws out probably wouldn't shove there right?
3. Not buying the 5, maybe he's so happy that he picked up a heart draw that he's getting it in. Also insane pot odds, easy call.
4. Lots of people checkraise paired boards, if you see him doing this a lot you could 3bet to get him to gently caress right off. Also it's a check-minraise so lol, if I was taking an aggro line I'd raise turn and bet river. But that might be getting out of line, checking behind is ok.
5. If villain is a really TAG fucker I'd MAYBE find a fold there. Other than that, call but except to see KK sometimes, AA not so much, JJ and TT a lot? Dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

i like hands 1,3,4,5 and really, I can't find a fold in hand 2 so it is fine as well.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

schlaufux posted:

5. If villain is a really TAG fucker I'd MAYBE find a fold there. Other than that, call but except to see KK sometimes, AA not so much, JJ and TT a lot? Dunno.
I think his range is more AA, KK, AK. This hand is player dependent. If he had done this before or if he was incredibly aggressive its a easy call. Otherwise this is almost always a flip against AK and very rarely AA/KK unless Hero never 3-bets light and Villain knows Hero has a strong hand. I don't think JJ/TT are in most people's shove range here unless Hero had been very aggressive.

souLjah
May 28, 2003
Official bank of PITR
I dropped down to nl50 cause i was running bad.

No info on this guy. Standard instacall here? Raise is ok?
http://www.pokerhand.org/?2181129

I saw this guy playing a few tables.
http://www.pokerhand.org/?2181135

schlaufux
Apr 28, 2007
just no stupid newbie k?

souLjah posted:

1. The minraise/shove line is suspicious and makes me think set or two pair, but since you're only a slight dog against those I think it's a call. The 3bet on the flop I don't like so much, I'd rather just call.

2. I don't think a set would raise that big and he has like 20 left so get it in.

Meep
Oct 7, 2000

souLjah posted:

Hand 1 is fine, I bet/3-bet this all day, totally standard instacall.

Hand 2 is really read dependent, against an aggressive player I'm shoving, against a nitty player I'm folding. Against an unknown he probably has you beat there enough to make it a fold, but at that level I don't think shoving is a huge mistake.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

souLjah posted:

I don't really like the half pot bet or slightly under half pot bet on the turn. He might be trying to put the pressure on you from what looks like a weakish bet or he might have spades with a queen. I think if he had a set he wouldn't raise $20 but it is possible with the spade draw coming out. I usually feel I have the best hand against an unknown and will either shove, or sometimes just call and let them shove OOP on the river depending how aggro they are.

Spechel EDD
Jul 22, 2003

DaNk NuGZ
TomEmanski. Seems like a taggish reg. Havent seen him do anything crazy over several tables ever. Seems fairly straightforward.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2191306

Is b/f a better line for the river?

post-feminist rimjob
Jan 15, 2005

There's no money in poetry, but then there's no poetry in money, either

Spechel EDD posted:

TomEmanski. Seems like a taggish reg. Havent seen him do anything crazy over several tables ever. Seems fairly straightforward.

Against an unknown, I think a check on the river induces a bluff often enough that you have to pay him off, since he could easily have called with any kind of OESD or ace high flush draw and interpreted your bet on the turn as nothing more than a stab. I don't know if betting at loose pots counts as "crazy", but if you've been playing with him a while and he almost never bets on this sort of river without a big hand, I could maybe find a fold.

Still, I think a blocking/value bet of like half the pot and folding to a raise is much better here.

Spechel EDD
Jul 22, 2003

DaNk NuGZ
The thing is is that hes not an unknown. He has been playing on several of the tables during the day that I've sat at so I can see that hes a regular whos somewhat competent. I havent seen him do anything crazy and the hands he has shown down that I can recall have been nut or near nut hands. His view on me may be a bit skewed since I dont really get into any sort of postflop fun because I keep whiffing AK/AQ type hands or having my 88 get lead into on flops with two overs against me.

It seems like his check on the flop there is highly suspect as is his call on the turn. I think I probably shouldve bet $25 and folded to a raise there instead of checking.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

Spechel EDD posted:

Yeah bet/fold all day.

unoplank
Aug 3, 2004
I lurk...
This hand was very confusing to me and I need to get some insight on how I played it.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2197217

The only specific read I had was that I had noticed STRYKER1 buying pots with his position raises a few times.

unoplank fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 2, 2008

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

unoplank posted:

This hand was very confusing to me and I need to get some insight on how I played it.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2197217

The only specific read I had was that I had noticed STRYKER1 buying pots with his position raises a few times.

I'm not sure why the HH is so weird but you can probably raise in MP here. On the flop you should not just call on a drawtastic board here, you have two-pair which is probably the best hand at the moment but there are flush and straight draws out there. When there's a raise after you and two people call you should be careful, I doubt AK is there and you're usually best with AJ but with two people it's tricky. When STRYKER check/raises and calls your reraise while someone else calls turn you have to assume you're done, making the river action reasonable. It looks like an ugly hand and I can't imagine you posting it here if you won it.

unoplank
Aug 3, 2004
I lurk...

Knightmare posted:

I'm not sure why the HH is so weird but you can probably raise in MP here. On the flop you should not just call on a drawtastic board here, you have two-pair which is probably the best hand at the moment but there are flush and straight draws out there. When there's a raise after you and two people call you should be careful, I doubt AK is there and you're usually best with AJ but with two people it's tricky. When STRYKER check/raises and calls your reraise while someone else calls turn you have to assume you're done, making the river action reasonable. It looks like an ugly hand and I can't imagine you posting it here if you won it.

Well, I posted the hand because my post-flop skills need serious help and I felt lost the entire hand. When he called my re-raise I thought I was beat for sure and saw his check on the river as an attempt to extract more money out of me (am I giving 50NL players too much credit?).

Would a re-raise on the flop have been that much of a superior move? I feel like STRYKER1 had already made it so they weren't drawing with odds. Perhaps, it would have isolated us but whenever I am in his shoes I almost always fear someone calling my position bets/raises rather than re-raising me because I feel lost on later streets if I had made the bet purely based on position.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

Can you explain your preflop and flop actions? I don't understand either of them, even after reading your post.

unoplank
Aug 3, 2004
I lurk...

albedoa posted:

Can you explain your preflop and flop actions? I don't understand either of them, even after reading your post.

Pre-flop was a mistake, I should have raised. I've only been playing NLHE for about a month and I am still timid about my aggression with weaker aces.

When I called the initial bet on the flop I was paying for my draw. When I called the raise from STRYKER1 it was read based. I felt from previous hands I had seen him in that he was positonally aware and was trying to chase out draws with a weak pair or semi-bluffing his own draw.

Sorry that it wasn't clear in my original post.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

I still don't get it. Why do you consider your hand a draw, and why are you afraid of STRYKER1's potential draws? I am really confused.

unoplank
Aug 3, 2004
I lurk...

albedoa posted:

I still don't get it. Why do you consider your hand a draw, and why are you afraid of STRYKER1's potential draws? I am really confused.

Well, I had a boat draw, back door flush and back door straight.

I think the thing I feared the most was him having the spade draw or queen-something drawing to the straight or QT for the made straight.

After he flat called my raise instead of re-raising me I thought he was on some kind of draw which is why I raised him on the turn when a blank came.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

unoplank posted:

Well, I had a boat draw, back door flush and back door straight.

You also had top and bottom pair versus two random cards, which is more than a draw. Do you see how raising preflop would have made your flop decisions much easier? But even as played, it's still a pretty easy decision: Never stop raising! You're playing against the big blind. (Rob is negligible in this hand).

I guess the turn kind of makes sense, but I don't understand how it came to that at all. Most of the money should have been in by the flop.

Edit: STRYKER1 had two spades, and Rob had a queen.

albedoa fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 2, 2008

unoplank
Aug 3, 2004
I lurk...

albedoa posted:

You also had top and bottom pair versus two random cards, which is more than a draw. Do you see how raising preflop would have made your flop decisions much easier? But even as played, it's still a pretty easy decision: Never stop raising! You're playing against the big blind. (Rob is negligible in this hand).

I guess the turn kind of makes sense, but I don't understand how it came to that at all. Most of the money should have been in by the flop.

Yeah, I gotta get over my hesitancy to raise weaker aces preflop after limpers.

I'm also still a little gunshy at shoving in NLHE because I'm so new to it and I have made a lot of bad shoves since I transitioned from LHE.

For what it's worth:

STRYKER1 showed KJ
and Rob had ace-rag

albedoa
May 3, 2004

Oh I was way off, but still...you really need to get over this hesitancy. Sure, the BB could have QT there sometimes, but that is the one semi-reasonable hand that beats you. Don't give him a free card. I think it's better to wait to raise a blank turn when you have something like KK on a 5h6h9d board. In this instance, you will get called by hands that you crush way more often than hands that crush you (which, again, is limited to exactly QT or a slowplayed pair). Rob isn't even in this hand for all intents and purposes.

When I see a flop like this while holding those two cards, I get the dollar bill signs flashing in my eyes like in the cartoons. Raise, raise, raise.

unoplank
Aug 3, 2004
I lurk...

albedoa posted:

Oh I was way off, but still...you really need to get over this hesitancy. Sure, the BB could have QT there sometimes, but that is the one semi-reasonable hand that beats you. Don't give him a free card. I think it's better to wait to raise a blank turn when you have something like KK on a 5h6h9d board. In this instance, you will get called by hands that you crush way more often than hands that crush you (which, again, is limited to exactly QT or a slowplayed pair). Rob isn't even in this hand for all intents and purposes.

When I see a flop like this while holding those two cards, I get the dollar bill signs flashing in my eyes like in the cartoons. Raise, raise, raise.

Yeah, I realize it is -EV, so I am slowly getting over it. I also make sure to play with a minimum of 30 buy-ins so that when I do get stacked it doesn't affect me too much.

Thanks for the critique!

souLjah
May 28, 2003
Official bank of PITR
I am definitely raising preflop and definitely raising that flop. You probably won't see AK there but you don't want any hands drawing and a raise is very important here. Don't count on your backdoor flush and straight draws.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sometimes you commit a series of errors so comedic you just have to share it

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2201975

Villain fm94587 has been playing tight-aggressive for awhile, raising five or six BB preflop for anything with faces.

For reasons that a team of scientists will be working on for decades, I checked this hand twice and offered a preflop raise that was too weak to isolate a single villain. Who cares if I was in first position and this other guy started the betting; I had pocket kings! That was an atrociously terrible non-move and I'll gladly hand over $21 if it means I never, ever, EVER do that again.

Once the 2:s: came on the turn, I figured from the way he was betting he either had a flush draw, A:s:Ao or AK:s:. If I'd shown the stones to bet my hand properly postflop, perhaps we never would've seen the turn :(. Thoughts? Other than "grow some balls ferchrissakes"?

unoplank
Aug 3, 2004
I lurk...

flakeloaf posted:

Sometimes you commit a series of errors so comedic you just have to share it

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2201975

Villain fm94587 has been playing tight-aggressive for awhile, raising five or six BB preflop for anything with faces.

For reasons that a team of scientists will be working on for decades, I checked this hand twice and offered a preflop raise that was too weak to isolate a single villain. Who cares if I was in first position and this other guy started the betting; I had pocket kings! That was an atrociously terrible non-move and I'll gladly hand over $21 if it means I never, ever, EVER do that again.

Once the 2:s: came on the turn, I figured from the way he was betting he either had a flush draw, A:s:Ao or AK:s:. If I'd shown the stones to bet my hand properly postflop, perhaps we never would've seen the turn :(. Thoughts? Other than "grow some balls ferchrissakes"?

stop min-raising

albedoa
May 3, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

Thoughts? Other than "grow some balls ferchrissakes"?

Nah, that's pretty much my only thought. You laid down the best hand.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

albedoa posted:

Nah, that's pretty much my only thought. You laid down the best hand.

actually i think villain has a better hand a lot here, but pf is so horrible that i can't really wrap my head around it.

you should be making it $8-9ish here if you want to 3bet.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

blah_blah posted:

actually i think villain has a better hand a lot here, but pf is so horrible that i can't really wrap my head around it.

That's what I came up with too - but I used the word 'horrible' about six or seven times :smith:.

Let's say I threw in $10 pf and he called. If I offered another ten or fifteen after the flop and if he raised me there, I'd feel a lot better about torching my hand and waiting for the next one. Folding kings I can live with, but letting the guy stick around long enough to make me fold kings... ow :(

quote:

stop min-raising
Playing NL is proving to be quite the adjustment. And that's the problem - I lack NL experience. Preflop play is... perplexing, and watching folks like me on both ends of the aggressiveness scale donk it up fills my head with all sorts of lessons I shouldn't be learning. Experience may be the best teacher, but tuition's a bitch.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

Let's say I threw in $10 pf and he called. If I offered another ten or fifteen after the flop and if he raised me there, I'd feel a lot better about torching my hand and waiting for the next one. Folding kings I can live with, but letting the guy stick around long enough to make me fold kings... ow :(

if you 3bet to $10 and get two callers, you should be leading for $20ish on that flop and never ever folding. Even with one caller, I'd probably bet close to the pot and call it off, you aren't that deep.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

blah_blah posted:

If you are Villain, what are you thinking about Hero's range given the way the hand was played? Now consider Villain's range and maybe you'll see why he may think he is way ahead, even though he's not. If I am Villain, I play any made hand (pair+) the same way (which is another reason for a shove--your hand looks nothing like kings).

I agree with you that Hero is beat a lot here, but not often enough.

flakeloaf posted:

You're thinking about this completely wrong. You should be concerned about making him stick around long enough to stack off to your kings and finding the fastest, most efficient way of doing it. You shouldn't be worried about him sticking around long enough that you have to fold your kings, but by giving him fantastic odds to hit almost anything, you are setting yourself up for failure.

albedoa fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 3, 2008

Christmas Past
Jul 17, 2006

ROCK YOU LIK EA HURRICANE
I just want everybody's opinion on a hand. It never really happened, was just thinking about this situation and wasn't sure of the correct move.

Cash game, hero is tight player with short stack, up against villain LAG deepstack.
Hero: ~$25
Villain: ~$200
Preflop :
SB post blind $.25
BB post blind $.50
Villain raise $2.00
others fold
Button with AKo raises to $5.00
more folds
Villain raises to $10.00
Button calls
Flop: 8 10 K rainbow

Villian checks

Just wondering how I can bet at this pot at all without going all in. If I go all in, I can't imagine any hand but AA or KK calling. I feel like I NEED to bet, but if I do, i have to go all in

Piss Man 94
Jun 11, 2003
So you're up against a loose-aggressive villain who covers you almost 10-fold, he's reraised you preflop, you hit TPTK on the flop and have 60% of your stack in the pot? I guess you could go for the timid underbet and hope he raises you again but to me that just screams shove.

Pizzlefish
Jun 8, 2005
You can also check with the intention of calling/reshoving IF the lag player bets when checked to nearly 100% of the time, but really shoving your last 15 into a 30 dollar pot is automatic there. The other player won't just call with AA, KK or a set, there are a ton of hands he can call with: Any K, QJ, jacks, queens, A10, AJ, AQ, up to an underpair or possibly any ace if he is superloose.

Pizzlefish fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 3, 2008

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Okay if hero raised to the correct 3bet amount of $8 or so you'd have none of those problems. If villain wants to 4bet he'll have to shove, hero calls hand over.

niknik
Mar 12, 2007

this ain't sea world
Sup, this is a fold right?

***** Hand History for Game 15677922340 *****
$100.00 NL Texas Hold'em - Sunday, March 02, 02:38:25 2008
Table Libera III (Real Money)
Seat 7 is the button
Seat 1: LeafsFan1122 ( $129.30 )
Seat 2: GaoSo ( $113.95 )
Seat 3: HuGaDaS ( $98.50 )
Seat 4: bmacdona ( $97.75 )
Seat 5: nicknick552 ( $141.55 )
Seat 6: MOMSEN ( $104.35 )
Seat 7: izzyhot ( $142.55 )
Seat 8: Lapchong ( $263.95 )
Seat 9: thesammysam ( $99.40 )
Lapchong posts the small blind [ $0.50 ].
thesammysam posts the big blind [ $1.00 ].

Holecards:
Dealt to nicknick552 [Kh, Qd ]
CALL LeafsFan1122, $1.00
GaoSo folds
HuGaDaS folds
bmacdona folds
RAISE nicknick552 , $4.00
MOMSEN folds
izzyhot folds
Lapchong folds
thesammysam folds
CALL LeafsFan1122, $3.00

Flop: (Pot: $9.5)
[Td, Kc, Tc]
LeafsFan1122 checks
BET nicknick552 , $6.00
CALL LeafsFan1122, $6.00

Turn: (Pot: $21.5)
[4d]
BET LeafsFan1122, $14.00
CALL nicknick552 , $14.00

River: (Pot: $49.5)
[5c]
BET LeafsFan1122, $22.00

niknik fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 3, 2008

souLjah
May 28, 2003
Official bank of PITR

niknik posted:

Sup, this is a fold right?

***** Hand History for Game 15677922340 *****
$100.00 NL Texas Hold'em - Sunday, March 02, 02:38:25 2008
Table Libera III (Real Money)
Seat 7 is the button
Seat 1: LeafsFan1122 ( $129.30 )
Seat 2: GaoSo ( $113.95 )
Seat 3: HuGaDaS ( $98.50 )
Seat 4: bmacdona ( $97.75 )
Seat 5: nicknick552 ( $141.55 )
Seat 6: MOMSEN ( $104.35 )
Seat 7: izzyhot ( $142.55 )
Seat 8: Lapchong ( $263.95 )
Seat 9: thesammysam ( $99.40 )
Lapchong posts the small blind [ $0.50 ].
thesammysam posts the big blind [ $1.00 ].

Holecards:
Dealt to nicknick552 [Kh, Qd ]
CALL LeafsFan1122, $1.00
GaoSo folds
HuGaDaS folds
bmacdona folds
RAISE nicknick552 , $4.00
MOMSEN folds
izzyhot folds
Lapchong folds
thesammysam folds
CALL LeafsFan1122, $3.00

Flop: (Pot: $9.5)
[Td, Kc, Tc]
LeafsFan1122 checks
BET nicknick552 , $6.00
CALL LeafsFan1122, $6.00

Turn: (Pot: $21.5)
[4d]
BET LeafsFan1122, $14.00
CALL nicknick552 , $14.00

River: (Pot: $49.5)
[5c]
BET LeafsFan1122, $22.00

Any info on opponent? Without any, I think its a fold.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

This board threatens two full houses - and in doing so, three of a kind and quads - and a flush. Oh, you've already seen the river :downs:. Maybe I should try to become literate before writing anything down.

Even if his reaction to the club is honest and he does have A-rag:c: (despite his preflop statement about something better) it's still better than your two pair and you're not getting 4:1 pot odds on seeing that third king. Unless I knew the guy was full of it, I'd be folding here.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 4, 2008

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

you're not getting 4:1 pot odds on seeing that third king.

we've already seen the river; there's no ocean card.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

blah_blah posted:

we've already seen the river; there's no ocean card.
Then he's definitely not getting 4:1 on seeing another king now is he? :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

flakeloaf posted:

This board threatens two full houses - and in doing so, three of a kind and quads - and a flush.

lol

• Locked thread