Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbinoHagfish
Dec 9, 2005

Og dei som ikkje klarer st distansen, dei kan ikkje vr medlem av resistansen.
Is cat-chasing a normal rabbit behavior? It seems that Testy really likes the cats but doesn't really understand that they don't enjoy being charged at. When they pause long enough for him to interact with them he'll just sniff and groom them. I watch their interactions carefully and he means no harm, and they seem to like him, but I'm wondering if it's just his personality or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asteroceras
Mar 18, 2007

by T. Finn

AlbinoHagfish posted:

Is cat-chasing a normal rabbit behavior? It seems that Testy really likes the cats but doesn't really understand that they don't enjoy being charged at. When they pause long enough for him to interact with them he'll just sniff and groom them. I watch their interactions carefully and he means no harm, and they seem to like him, but I'm wondering if it's just his personality or what.

I think the cat is scared of the hopping motion of the rabbit, particularly if the rabbit is large. I had a couple of British Giants, and my two cats, while they would happily catch wild rabbits, were very shy of the rabbits despite never having been attacked. Of note is that the larger of the rabbits was about the size of the larger of the cats.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

In my spare time I hypnotize bunnies.

So I'm moving on March 14 (yay!) what's the best way to move with the bunnies?

I'm also thinking this might be a prime opportunity to finally get this bonding thing on a good start since the new house will not smell like ANY bunny. I was going to buy brand new carpet and clean their pens very well, get new litter boxes, new toys, scrub food bowls etc.

If I do this will they be over-stressed and get sick or get over-stressed and find comfort in one another, or not get stressed at all?

AlbinoHagfish
Dec 9, 2005

Og dei som ikkje klarer st distansen, dei kan ikkje vr medlem av resistansen.

asteroceras posted:

I think the cat is scared of the hopping motion of the rabbit, particularly if the rabbit is large. I had a couple of British Giants, and my two cats, while they would happily catch wild rabbits, were very shy of the rabbits despite never having been attacked. Of note is that the larger of the rabbits was about the size of the larger of the cats.

Testy is a Miniature Rex but still pretty large and boisterous. The cats all seem to have mixed feelings about rabbits in general but have never expressed interest in hunting them. The doe is slightly more gentle and timid and on one occasion the smallest cat stalked her for about one step before Testy charged up and scared her off. Overall it's typically quite peaceful.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I know I've mentioned it before, but both of my rabbits are about 1/3 the size of my cats and about 20lbs lighter. Cleo always runs from the rabbits but Link will just lay around and ignore them. If they get up in his face though he bats at them to show he's not interested in playing.

I think both cats would tolerate the rabbits more had they not lived with ferrets. My ferrets would terrorize the cats and the hoppy, zippy motions of ferets freaked them out. The rabbits don't hop so much as they seem to glide around compared to how the ferrets moved.

Personally I'd love if my cats would actually get up and play with the rabbits. That's all the bouncy furballs want anyway. For whatever reason they view my cats as interactive beings :rolleyes:

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
Awesome Girlscout....I think moving is going to help you a lot.

I just moved this weekend and I now have an officially bonded pair of bunnies.

Background: I've had Ender for almost 2 years and I wanted to get him a girlfriend. We did a lot of dating at the shelter and I picked Portia because I felt she was the best personality match. Ender can be a bit of a dick, so I knew she would stand up to him. Also, he's incredibly bonded to me and sees me as his woman, so I knew he would need a non submissive bunny.

I picked her up the day I went to stay with my mom for a week. On the 6 hour drive to her house, there was a lot of humping and Ender looking kinda grumpy. I set up the bathroom for them at my mom's and let them hang out together while I sat with them. There were a few minor scuffles but eventually it was all worked out and they seemed fine. I went to go hang out with friends and checked on them when I got home. They were still fine, although not grooming yet, so I slept with the door open so I could hear them if need be. The rest of that week went by really well, there was grooming, snuggling, and general being cuteness.

When we came back to my place, I set them in the bathroom together. I should have been more careful and watched them, but I figured they were fine after being at my mom's....2 hours later I hear a HUGE fight break out in the bathroom. I rush in and Ender had bitten a hole in Portia's ear and she had bitten him on his back. I took her to the emergency vet and got some drugs. They've both healed up now, but Portia has a permenant hole in her ear. I need to get her a pirate earring :P. I went back to step one and did visits together. They would get their salad together and mutual petting together (putting them side by side and doing cross petting) This never really worked. They would constantly go after one another to the point of injury. I called my friend who's the local bunny whisperer and she told me to just let them settle for about a month and try again. At this point, I knew I was going to be moving and so I just let them be. They gradually started sitting next to one another in their cage (they were in a xpen with a gate in the middle). I fed them together and let them out one at a time for exercise. Eventually I could tell there were at that point where they wanted to be together again but they just couldn't get over their grudge. People will argue about rabbit memory, but in my experience they have EXCELLENT memories and hold grudges, especially with other rabbits.

Friday night I gave them to my friend so that she could work on bonding while I moved. We chatted every night and she said they were getting better and better. I picked them up Tuesday night after Andrea had said they had been together for a solid 24 hours with no fighting. I took them home...and 2 days later we've had no issues. I guess I know have 2 officially bonded bunnies :)
I know a large part of the problem was the territory issue. Coming to a new place will help with that 100%. The mistake I made with my two was letting the huge fight break out. I don't know who started it and I don't know what it was over, but that's what caused all of the issues for me.

As for your guys, if they're able to be together without killing each other, go ahead and put them in a pen together after a nice long car ride to the new place. Stay present to stop any serious fighting immediately, but little fights are ok. They have to work out who's going to be dominant and the only way most rabbits can do that is by a bit of mild fighting. By fighting, I mean some chasing, maybe light nipping, not very harsh, aggressive biting. They can injure each other very quickly as I'm sure you know. Do a lot of mutual petting. Have a salad party. Give new toys as distractions. If this goes well, then let them stay together for as long as possible. If theres really aggresive fighting, I would split them up so that they can't bite each other but are still together. Don't let them set up separate territories in the new place, it will just make life harder. Try and make their cages as different as possible, so everything seems new. I just have mine on a blanket with an xpen, so I made sure I got a new blanket they had never seen before and I really cleaned the litter box well to try and erase as much scent as possible

Depending on how they were doing before the move, they should be pretty good. Remember to let small fights work themselves out, and constantly keep and eye on them. I found it tremendously helpful to have a friend take them while I did my moving and then I brought them home once I had the time to watch them. The first 24 hours I think are the telling point, so if need be sleep near the cage so that you're there if something happens. I think that keeping them together for as long as possible instead of doing short sessions gets the point across that they need to deal with one another. But like I've said, they always have to be watched. Don't worry about them getting stressed, I think rabbits are tougher than they're given credit for. The stress is needed so that they say "Hey! I'm a bunny, you're a bunny, this is scary as poo poo so we need to band together since we're clearly the last 2 bunnies on earth!"

I think that this point I have enough of a wall of text, but let us know how it goes :) I think you'll find that it will help a lot to go into fresh territory

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

I sure hope so! And you're right about rabbits memories, they hold grudges. The lady that's attempting to help me bond (she lives far away so it's hard) told me if a fight breaks out, don't do any more bonding for 2 weeks because they will remember "Hey that's the rabbit that bit my rear end 4 days ago." '

I'll keep you posted. Lucy is just an independent black woman that doesn't need a man in her life. :) She needs to be more open-minded. Maybe she's shallow and hates Jack because he's overweight. Who knows?

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
Ah yes. I have one of those strong Black women as well.

But deep down inside, she's a big marshmallow that's in love with my boyfriend and enjoys being cuddled to death.

Something else I thought of: The lady who helped me did clicker training with them. It helps....a lot. Train them to touch noses politely as a start, you can also work your way towards things like having to share a carrot.

Before you put them in together, make sure you stress them by going on a car ride or something. That's I think the key to getting them to rely on each other.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Bunway Airlines posted:

But deep down inside, she's a big marshmallow that's in love with my boyfriend and enjoys being cuddled to death.

Mine loves my boyfriend as well. He loves her too...secretly. I've caught him in the bunny room petting her nose and talking to her. Haha.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I have to say, that about a month after Cowslip lost his man-bits (neutering, I mean!), he's still shy around me, but he does seem jealous when Momiji is getting pet. Cowslip will sneak over and wait for his pets and scratches, and usually leaves before Mo does, but he's much friendler now!

New rabbit cage will be set up this weekend...more layers of running for the boys! I can't wait for spring to come, so I can take them outside and let them munch in the grass. Other than the usual predators (which should not pose a problem since the rabbits will be supervised), is there anything I need to watch out for? The buns will be separated from the pool by a three foot tall cinderblock fence, and will be around a few tortoises and turtles.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

I need some advice.

One of my rabbits has poo matted around her backside and I don't know how to clean it. It has caked hard so won't wipe off easily, and she is skittish and not happy to sit still while we clean her up.

What should I do?

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I assume you've already tried bribing her with snacks and petting to lull her into a false sense of security.

There's also a good explanation on how to 'hypnotize' your rabbit near the start of this thread.

If nothing else works just wrap her up in a towel like an angry burrito and trim that rear end. That's what I do with my rabbit. They might struggle a whole lot but at least in that towel you can keep them still enough to do what you have to do. You'll need a second person to do this as you need both hands to keep the rabbit from bolting.

EDIT: in this post I was assuming that your rabbit has very long fur and that's how the crap got stuck in it. If there is a digestive problem then listen to these guys below me.

DS at Night fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 5, 2008

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

AnotherFreakboy posted:

I need some advice.

One of my rabbits has poo matted around her backside and I don't know how to clean it. It has caked hard so won't wipe off easily, and she is skittish and not happy to sit still while we clean her up.

What should I do?

I would take them to a vet to get it cut off. You need to go to the vet anyways because their poop shouldn't stick to their butt, it means their poop is soft. Have you been feeding to many fruits? I have a rabbit that will get "poopy butt" if he doesn't get the Timothy Pellets. Just talk to your vet.

You Are
Dec 1, 2006

We Todd Ed.
I thought I about killed my rabbit when he was eating some sort of "Harvest Blend" pellets: it's got all these yummy looking bits of food mixed in with pellets. It's HORRIBLE for rabbits, and it was when I didn't know any better. I trashed the entire bag and had to wash that nasty stuff off his behind.

I suggest changing your rabbit's diet immediately to one mainly consisting of Timothy Hay, vegetables, and a small serving of fruits and NORMAL pellets. Don't use "fancy" pellets. Some people here get a high quality timothy hay pellet. My rabbit's molars, I know, had a slight edge because he needed more than half his meal to consist of Timothy hay, which helps keep his molars trim. And if a rabbit needs this much hay, try to use high quality hay, since it makes up the majority of a rabbit's diet. Think about this, too, when choosing a food for your rabbit.

"Does your rabbit get starchy treats such as oatmeal, crackers, bread or sweets? Some rabbits with very sensitive intestines can suffer from runny cecotropes even from being fed commercial pellets. Fruit, as healthy as it is for humans, can be too much of a good thing for rabbits. The high level of sugar and starch in table fruit makes them too rich for a bunny except as a very small, occasional treat. A diet too rich in digestible starch is one of the most common causes of runny cecotropes in companion rabbits."
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

girlscoutdropout posted:

I would take them to a vet to get it cut off. You need to go to the vet anyways because their poop shouldn't stick to their butt, it means their poop is soft. Have you been feeding to many fruits? I have a rabbit that will get "poopy butt" if he doesn't get the Timothy Pellets. Just talk to your vet.

Her poo was soft for a couple of days but has since gone back to normal, so I'm not worried about a digestive problem. If we can't work out a way to clean it up ourselves soon we'll get a vet to sort it out.

Edit: Our rabbits diet consists of as much hay as they want, which is a lot more for Binky (with the poopy butt) than it is for Laser (who is clean), a variety of vegetables, and occasionally a piece of orange. We might be overdoing the orange a little, but it hasn't been a problem. Recently my wife made a batch of plum sauce so the current problem was probably caused by them getting more fruit than usual while that was going on.

Urcher fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 5, 2008

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend
That was my kitty and bunny chilling in a recent photo posted by Kusaru.

We decided to get Mocha another bunny for same species loving. We returned to the shelter and had him spend time with Creme, who is actually his sister (they were dumped with 10 or so other bunnies from a petting farm that had too many animals - none of them were altered). We sat with them in a visitation room for about an hour and the shelter and they sniffed each other and followed each other around and that was it.

Later that evening we let them out together at home. They mostly ignored each other for 15 or so minutes, but once Creme got close to a wood block that Mocha was chewing on, he lunged at her and pulled a tuft of fur out of her tail. At that time they were both inside the temporary cage. That was Sunday, we haven't given them mutual floor time since then.

Whenever Mocha is out, he spends his time following Creme as she moves inside her cage and whenever Creme is out he does his best to follow her from inside his cage. Several times, when they are sniffing each other through the grids Mocha has pulled fur from Creme's nose. She flinches away, but will stick it right back into biting range again a few times before fleeing. I don't want to chase Mocha away from Creme because then they are never going to bond, but I hate seeing him hurting her.

I had them swap cages yesterday hoping to alleviate the idea in their minds that the real cage is Mocha's. The temporary cage is a 2x3 grid cage with no shelves. They are next to each other, but because of a bookcase, they only share a 1 grid long portion of wall. Would it be better to have neither of them in the permanent cage? I could do the bunny in the mirror set up that alucinor talked about earlier, with two temp pens across the living room.

In summary, I've read this whole thread, and the bonding information on rabbit.org, but I'm still uncertain about what to do. I know I need to give them time, but it's hard for me to watch Mocha being aggressive. It seems now all of his attention is focused on Creme and throwing a fit whenever he is restricted to his cage. He doesn't run around at play like he used to at all, and doesn't seem interested in interacting with the cats or us anymore. It took me 3 weeks to convince my husband that 2 bunnies were better than one, and he is clearly not impressed with the change. Actually, now he really doesn't like Mocha.

The bunnies are both altered (both of their surgeries were done a month before Valentines Day).

Baitu fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 6, 2008

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
See my post a few ones up on this page.

You need to get them in neutral territory. The reason why your male is being aggressive is because she's in "his" territory messing with his stuff. I like doing car rides, they get stressed and then bond to each other. The fact that they did well at the shelter is a very good sign. I would completely redo the cages, maybe even put them in another area of the house if possible. Make things as different as possible so that your male doesn't see it as his territory.

Also, if they were neutered on Vday, it's too soon hormonally. Males can have sperm in their systems up to 6 weeks after surgery. I would give it until April at the earliest. I tried to bond my male to another female before the current success story and it just didnt work because I had to get her spayed and he never forgot about the fact that she wasn't spayed when we first got her.

Unfortunately, you're fighting an uphill battle with the recent neutering. Give it until April, and then do some car rides and see how that goes.

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend

Bunway Airlines posted:

See my post a few ones up on this page.

You need to get them in neutral territory. The reason why your male is being aggressive is because she's in "his" territory messing with his stuff. I like doing car rides, they get stressed and then bond to each other. The fact that they did well at the shelter is a very good sign. I would completely redo the cages, maybe even put them in another area of the house if possible. Make things as different as possible so that your male doesn't see it as his territory.

Also, if they were neutered on Vday, it's too soon hormonally. Males can have sperm in their systems up to 6 weeks after surgery. I would give it until April at the earliest. I tried to bond my male to another female before the current success story and it just didnt work because I had to get her spayed and he never forgot about the fact that she wasn't spayed when we first got her.

Unfortunately, you're fighting an uphill battle with the recent neutering. Give it until April, and then do some car rides and see how that goes.

Opps, I meant a month before V-day. Jan 14th.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
Ah ok.

Commence the car rides then! Since your male has already gotten a bit nasty with the female, you're going to have to make them forget about it. Don't just let them do whatever they want when they're together. Go on a car ride, then come home and have a salad together. Mild aggression is ok (as is a lot of humping...its a bunny thing). They have to work out who's going to be dominant one. Mocha thinks it's him at this point :)

The following each other when the other one is out is curiosity. That's good they're interested but they can't be too interested because then aggression seems to result. I think it would be a good idea to have the mirror cages set up. They need to be able to see and smell each other as much as possible. Don't worry about nipping through the bars, that will subside in time as they get used to one another's presence.

Heres a video of my bunny trainer doing her thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgDHWLyztCI
Rabbits are much smarter than people give them credit for, and they really enjoy the tricks. See if you can teach some tricks to your guys and then teach them to touch noses. Once they do that, teach them to share a carrot or perform a routine with one another...they have to learn that fun things happen when they're together.

Tell your husband this is going to take time. Rabbits are wonderful creatures but they are particular about their environment. They're not going to like you just because you're there, they're quite picky about humans. Really, you're just there to feed them and be an amusing toy. Going beyond that step with a bunny takes time IMO. My Ender is so bonded to me now but it's taken almost 2 years to get him trained the way I wanted. He comes when he's called now, has impeccable box habits, and loves to snuggle with me. I've found that if you don't interact with rabbits very frequently throughout the day, they tend to be a bit feral. I'm in class most of the day, so I make sure they come out at night and have snuggle time with me. Daily interaction keeps mine happy and tame.

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend

Bunway Airlines posted:

Heres a video of my bunny trainer doing her thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgDHWLyztCI

Neat. We taught one of our cats to sit and stay, she's very food motivated.

What do I put the bunnies in for the car ride? On one hand I could see wanting something open, so that you could break up a fight if necessary, on the other hand you don't want anybody to escape. We have a giant rubbermaid container, would that be good? We just plop them in the same container run out the door and start driving?

The dryer ride idea sounds a little bit more convenient. I'll probably try both.

Creme will be having her first vet visit (in our care) this week, could I bring Mocha along or would he just get in the way? The vets is a pretty stressful visit and during the inevitable waiting period for the vet to come we'd have a neutral place for them. If they did decide to get violent we could get the wounds treated right then and there!

I'm going to set up a new cage area tomorrow night. It will get me a good opportunity to clean up the old area! When Mocha races around following Creme he ends up kicking stuff out of his litter box everywhere. I'll probably give him one of the cats old covered boxes. He's hopped in theirs a few times (I told him the dust is bad for him) so I know he'll have no problem getting in and out.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

This may be me being over-zealous but is there something horribly wrong if the pink in Zen's nose has a touch of red? I was lying down and she started sniffing over me so I got a rare peek at the under side of her nose and the tiny bit that's pink has some splotches of red. I don't think I've ever seen that before but I rarely see her nostril's anyway so I might've missed it before. Is this a sign of something or am I just panicking over nothing?

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Baitu posted:

Neat. We taught one of our cats to sit and stay, she's very food motivated.

What do I put the bunnies in for the car ride? On one hand I could see wanting something open, so that you could break up a fight if necessary, on the other hand you don't want anybody to escape. We have a giant rubbermaid container, would that be good? We just plop them in the same container run out the door and start driving?

The dryer ride idea sounds a little bit more convenient. I'll probably try both.

Creme will be having her first vet visit (in our care) this week, could I bring Mocha along or would he just get in the way? The vets is a pretty stressful visit and during the inevitable waiting period for the vet to come we'd have a neutral place for them. If they did decide to get violent we could get the wounds treated right then and there!

I'm going to set up a new cage area tomorrow night. It will get me a good opportunity to clean up the old area! When Mocha races around following Creme he ends up kicking stuff out of his litter box everywhere. I'll probably give him one of the cats old covered boxes. He's hopped in theirs a few times (I told him the dust is bad for him) so I know he'll have no problem getting in and out.

I like both ideas. You've got it...throw them in the car and start driving. Vet visit would be good as well since they'll both be freaked out. On top of the dryer is good because of the vibration. If they fight at all in the car reach over and shake the tub lightly. I doubt they will, most don't since they think it's the end of the world.

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend
I set up the new cage area today. There was some more nose nipping, but in general it seems to have helped a ton already. Mocha was even cuddly and adventurous afterwards. Even though there was a grid between them, seeing them sitting in their litter-boxes side by side made me feel a lot better. Instead of their cages only sharing 1 panel they now share 3, and there is just one layer of grid between them instead of two allowing for a lot more interaction (for better or worst). I put up a blanket to hopefully fend off drafts from the window.

I closed off the permanent cage, once they've bonded hopefully it will feel like their first home together, instead of her moving in with him.

New questions:
1) Does anybody else's ruby eyed bunny sway their head from side to side? I read that surveying like that helps them see better.

2) I want to give the bunnies each a little shelter, but Creme pees on/in anything I give her. Any suggestions for something that says "this is a nice place to chill" and not "this is a nice secure place to pee?" I guess giving them the covered litter box hits two (clay) birds with one stone. I decided not to give it to Mocha yet since I wanted them to see each other in the box.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Baitu posted:

2) I want to give the bunnies each a little shelter, but Creme pees on/in anything I give her. Any suggestions for something that says "this is a nice place to chill" and not "this is a nice secure place to pee?" I guess giving them the covered litter box hits two (clay) birds with one stone. I decided not to give it to Mocha yet since I wanted them to see each other in the box.

Try a pair of lidded rubbermaid containers, each with TWO holes in the side - one in the front for entry, and one on the side facing the other cage. That way they can hide AND see each other.

You can also continue to use your uncovered litterboxes. With luck, both bunnies will learn to nest in the covered boxes and pee in the uncovered ones.

If that's not an option, you can also simply drape another blanketover the corner where the litterboxes are.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

AnotherFreakboy posted:

Her poo was soft for a couple of days but has since gone back to normal, so I'm not worried about a digestive problem. If we can't work out a way to clean it up ourselves soon we'll get a vet to sort it out.

Edit: Our rabbits diet consists of as much hay as they want, which is a lot more for Binky (with the poopy butt) than it is for Laser (who is clean), a variety of vegetables, and occasionally a piece of orange. We might be overdoing the orange a little, but it hasn't been a problem. Recently my wife made a batch of plum sauce so the current problem was probably caused by them getting more fruit than usual while that was going on.

Since his poop has firmed up, I would just say you gave him too much fruit. I would hold off on the fruit for a week or so. I would increase his dark green veggie intake for a bit as well.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Baitu posted:

I set up the new cage area today. There was some more nose nipping, but in general it seems to have helped a ton already. Mocha was even cuddly and adventurous afterwards. Even though there was a grid between them, seeing them sitting in their litter-boxes side by side made me feel a lot better. Instead of their cages only sharing 1 panel they now share 3, and there is just one layer of grid between them instead of two allowing for a lot more interaction (for better or worst). I put up a blanket to hopefully fend off drafts from the window.

I closed off the permanent cage, once they've bonded hopefully it will feel like their first home together, instead of her moving in with him.

New questions:
1) Does anybody else's ruby eyed bunny sway their head from side to side? I read that surveying like that helps them see better.

Looks good. This is a great first step.

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend

alucinor posted:

Try a pair of lidded rubbermaid containers, each with TWO holes in the side - one in the front for entry, and one on the side facing the other cage. That way they can hide AND see each other.

You can also continue to use your uncovered litterboxes. With luck, both bunnies will learn to nest in the covered boxes and pee in the uncovered ones.

If that's not an option, you can also simply drape another blanketover the corner where the litterboxes are.

What did you cut the rubbermaid with to get such clean edges? Mine are going to end up looking like a kindergartner did it.

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend
Yesterday was car ride #1. Mocha grunted once right when I put Creme in the tub with him, but there wasn't a problem during the ride. We got home gave them a salad and let them interact for 30 minutes without a problem.

Today was dryer ride #1. They deserved it since the reason I had to do a load of laundry was that somebody (Creme) peed in one of the cats beds. They just sat in the tub with their noses touching huddled together. Afterwards I gave them an endive (or escarole I don't know the difference and they weren't labeled well in the store) salad, but soon after the salad Creme decided to hump Mocha. He took it for 10 seconds, tried to move away, but once she started at it again he wasn't going to take any of it and they started fighting. They started at it again seconds after I broke it up, so I put them back in their respective homes.

It's like a reality show, who is going to be alpha bunny?

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Baitu posted:

Exactly.

Everyone wish me luck, Friday is the big move which means intensive bunny bonding boot camp starts. 9 months of bonding is ridiculous.

New house with brand new carpet, litter boxes, etc.
Switching the bunnies to the opposite pen daily.
Daily car or dryer rides.

It's gotta happen eventually!!!

I, too, was wondering how you cut the rubbermaid containers so cleanly.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

This is sort of an odd situation. Does anyone have any advice on how to assure 2 bunnies living together DON'T bond? I'll be moving into a house that already has a female Flemish giant. I want to let them play together etc. but not bond. Will unbonded rabbits just fight when let out together?

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Baitu posted:

Yesterday was car ride #1. Mocha grunted once right when I put Creme in the tub with him, but there wasn't a problem during the ride. We got home gave them a salad and let them interact for 30 minutes without a problem.

Today was dryer ride #1. They deserved it since the reason I had to do a load of laundry was that somebody (Creme) peed in one of the cats beds. They just sat in the tub with their noses touching huddled together. Afterwards I gave them an endive (or escarole I don't know the difference and they weren't labeled well in the store) salad, but soon after the salad Creme decided to hump Mocha. He took it for 10 seconds, tried to move away, but once she started at it again he wasn't going to take any of it and they started fighting. They started at it again seconds after I broke it up, so I put them back in their respective homes.

YAY! Good progress. That's a really good sign that they were together for 30 min. It's apparent that Creme wants to be the dominant bunny and Mocha isn't ok with that. That was the exact same situation that I had. My male finally backed down and that's how mine were finally bonded. Keep it up. Humping is fine, they need to work that out. You were right to break it up when it got too vicious.

Girlscout, good luck with the move, we'll want a full write up :)

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Foaming Chicken posted:

This is sort of an odd situation. Does anyone have any advice on how to assure 2 bunnies living together DON'T bond? I'll be moving into a house that already has a female Flemish giant. I want to let them play together etc. but not bond. Will unbonded rabbits just fight when let out together?

Unfortunately, that doesn't exist to rabbits. They're either bonded or they'll kill each other. It's possible you may be able to get them to be ambivalent towards each other, but I doubt it since they're both female. The Flemish is going to have a HUGE issue with your rabbit comming in her territory. They will fight if you let them be together, and someone will get hurt.

Honestly, I would just keep them separate. You're going to run a huge risk of having a seriously injured rabbit otherwise. They're not like dogs where they can be friends and play. If you want to get your bunny a friend, then that's what I would recommend.

And I hope for your sake that female is spayed, otherwise its going to be hellacious pee time!

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Baitu posted:

What did you cut the rubbermaid with to get such clean edges? Mine are going to end up looking like a kindergartner did it.

A very sharp boxcutter, guidelines marked with a dry erase marker, and lots of practice. This was my 6th or so homemade box, some of my other creations didn't work so well.

There's also one particular type of box that works best - it's by Rubbermaid and the plastic is soft like the top off a milk jug, not stiff like the jug itself.

Most of my bunnies soon learned that these nice soft edges are perfect for chewing; so now I also buy 1/2" PVC tubing (soft PVC, not the really hard stuff) and saw it up into covers which slip over the cut edges. Deters chewing perfectly!

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Foaming Chicken posted:

Not possible. Sorry. :( It is pretty difficult to bond females anyways, but they will kill each other if put together.

Bunway Airlines posted:

And I hope for your sake that female is spayed, otherwise its going to be hellacious pee time!

Be on the lookout this weekend for that :)

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Bunway Airlines posted:

Unfortunately, that doesn't exist to rabbits. They're either bonded or they'll kill each other. It's possible you may be able to get them to be ambivalent towards each other, but I doubt it since they're both female. The Flemish is going to have a HUGE issue with your rabbit comming in her territory. They will fight if you let them be together, and someone will get hurt.

Honestly, I would just keep them separate. You're going to run a huge risk of having a seriously injured rabbit otherwise. They're not like dogs where they can be friends and play. If you want to get your bunny a friend, then that's what I would recommend.

Actually my furball is a neutered male. Daphne is fixed too. I guess I'll just hope for the best :(

Edit: I should clarify. They would live in the same room, seperate (and distant) cages. I just wanted to be able to let them out together for SUPER ADORABLE BUNNY PLAY TIME. Oh well

RICKON WALNUTSBANE fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 10, 2008

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Foaming Chicken posted:

Actually my furball is a neutered male. Daphne is fixed too. I guess I'll just hope for the best :(

Edit: I should clarify. They would live in the same room, seperate (and distant) cages. I just wanted to be able to let them out together for SUPER ADORABLE BUNNY PLAY TIME. Oh well

Yeah sadly, that usually doesn't happen :(

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend
I had them out together for 2 hours in the bathroom (very neutral since neither will set foot on the linoleum by choice) following today's dryer ride. Creme humped Mocha again (a couple of times she was humping his head!) but instead of he's response being fighting, he groomed her afterwards. I think the woman wins! Most of the time they just sat in the litter box together. I haven't seen any nose nipping through bars in days either.

I finished my rubbermaid covered litter boxes, and my fears of them looking horrid was realized. I shall forever envy alucinor's skill. The bunnies like them though, especially sitting on top of them. I pulled the blanket forward so they can't use them to jump out.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

Baitu posted:

I had them out together for 2 hours in the bathroom (very neutral since neither will set foot on the linoleum by choice) following today's dryer ride. Creme humped Mocha again (a couple of times she was humping his head!)

Be aware of head humping, if the humpee is unhappy it can be very dangerous as genitals can be bitten.

I'm in a bit of a pickle, to put it mildly. Somehow, Annie (I know it was her, she's the chewer) got behind the computer desk today. SOMEHOW, although as far as i can tell, it's literally impossible. She ate through my speaker cord, my webcam cord, my mic cord, my HQ gaming mouse cord and a miniusb cable. If I can't get these fixed, the speakers alone were 150$. I literally cannot afford this. I'm sad, but right now they're making me think if they're practical in life. I really don't want to give them up, but I spend hours and hours bunny proofing everything, and then they somehow get through steel bars anyways and cause hundreds of dollars in damage. Ben is still antisocial mostly, although I tell myself he's gotten better, Annie is a sweetheart, but when it comes down to it, I just dont have that cash to burn. Help me think of reasons to keep them, other than that I'd be a bad person. :(((((((((

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend

Deceptor101 posted:

Be aware of head humping, if the humpee is unhappy it can be very dangerous as genitals can be bitten.

Ouch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Baitu posted:

I had them out together for 2 hours in the bathroom (very neutral since neither will set foot on the linoleum by choice) following today's dryer ride. Creme humped Mocha again (a couple of times she was humping his head!) but instead of he's response being fighting, he groomed her afterwards. I think the woman wins! Most of the time they just sat in the litter box together. I haven't seen any nose nipping through bars in days either.

I finished my rubbermaid covered litter boxes, and my fears of them looking horrid was realized. I shall forever envy alucinor's skill. The bunnies like them though, especially sitting on top of them. I pulled the blanket forward so they can't use them to jump out.

More yay! Those are really good signs. Keep it up, I think you're going to have a pretty fast bond :)