Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Deceptor101 posted:

Be aware of head humping, if the humpee is unhappy it can be very dangerous as genitals can be bitten.

I'm in a bit of a pickle, to put it mildly. Somehow, Annie (I know it was her, she's the chewer) got behind the computer desk today. SOMEHOW, although as far as i can tell, it's literally impossible. She ate through my speaker cord, my webcam cord, my mic cord, my HQ gaming mouse cord and a miniusb cable. If I can't get these fixed, the speakers alone were 150$. I literally cannot afford this. I'm sad, but right now they're making me think if they're practical in life. I really don't want to give them up, but I spend hours and hours bunny proofing everything, and then they somehow get through steel bars anyways and cause hundreds of dollars in damage. Ben is still antisocial mostly, although I tell myself he's gotten better, Annie is a sweetheart, but when it comes down to it, I just dont have that cash to burn. Help me think of reasons to keep them, other than that I'd be a bad person. :(((((((((

I tie all my cords up so they're aren't even on the floor that way they can't even reach them. Would that work? They're not allowed in the bedroom because it isn't bunny proofed. How old are your guys? I noticed a sharp decline in the amount of chewing Ender did when he hit 2 years old. He never chews on anything anymore, and his teeth are fine. He likes to pretend he's an old feeble man :3:

Anyway, I would stay stick with it. If you post a pic of your desk I can help suggest things if you want. Young rabbits are a pain in the rear end (under the age of 2 or so) but once they mature they're wonderful. Ender just gets better by the day. I may just have a freak rabbit however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

In my spare time I hypnotize bunnies.

Deceptor101 posted:

Be aware of head humping, if the humpee is unhappy it can be very dangerous as genitals can be bitten.

I'm in a bit of a pickle, to put it mildly. Somehow, Annie (I know it was her, she's the chewer) got behind the computer desk today. SOMEHOW, although as far as i can tell, it's literally impossible. She ate through my speaker cord, my webcam cord, my mic cord, my HQ gaming mouse cord and a miniusb cable. If I can't get these fixed, the speakers alone were 150$. I literally cannot afford this. I'm sad, but right now they're making me think if they're practical in life. I really don't want to give them up, but I spend hours and hours bunny proofing everything, and then they somehow get through steel bars anyways and cause hundreds of dollars in damage. Ben is still antisocial mostly, although I tell myself he's gotten better, Annie is a sweetheart, but when it comes down to it, I just dont have that cash to burn. Help me think of reasons to keep them, other than that I'd be a bad person. :(((((((((

Bunnies chew. I'm sorry. My bunny ate my phone charger, my printer cable, and my $120 duvet cover if that makes you feel any better. It's not their fault that I didn't cover those cords and I let my duvet hang off the bed. If you don't enjoy them though, I can understand finding a new owner. I've never given up an animal, but if I did, I think it's the owner's responsibility to find a suitable home, not the humane shelter's. That's the only stipulation I have for rehoming pets. Not every pet is suitable for everyone, just have to be responsible in finding the person that is right for that pet(s).

Stepping off the soapbox.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
its not that I don't like them, and it's not like these area's weren't bunny proofed. That's what gets me down. I have NO idea how she got in there, it literally doesn't seem possible, unless she jumped up 5 feet or through a 2 inch hole, which her shoulders and head are def wider than. I just feel rather helpless, I do all that I can, and somehow she gets past it. Maybe i'm just frustrated. I fixed the speaker cord, so thats so relieving. Dont worry, I love my bunnies, i'm just frustrated, but i wont do anything rash.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I really should get more serious about bunny proofing my room. Right now the vulnerable parts of my computer are stuffed behind a piece of cardboard. I guess that felt adequate because Billy is always more interested in shredding the cardboard than anything else.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
Heh, so I took a picture of my setup, and then realized that they'd chewed through the uploader cord.... So far Speakers are the only thing that's been fixable. I may take the mouse and webcam to a repair shop since they're worth it, the mic, well, it was a POS anyways, it's just annoying since I bought it last week because they'd chewed through my other two mic cords. (you'd think i'd learn, well I thought i did with this one) Buns and I have had some snuggle time, and we're all on good terms now. I need to figure out how to trim their nails tho, both refuse to be burrito'd and wont even get halfway into the trance position. They really like the floor and being rightside up. Half-tempted to go to the vet, but your story still scares me girlscout :(

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend
I think it was the very second day we had Mocha he chewed through my husbands Macbook power cord, that was a delightful $85. It was my fault for not making sure it was out of the way, and I defiantly played it off as such so Mocha wouldn't start off on a terrible foot. Now, before we let any bunny out, we are supposed to check and make sure that the laptop is unplugged or pulled as far off the floor as possible.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Minor scare with Toastie. Noticed a lump on his cheek while rubbing them (he loves that) on Sunday, so got him into the vets today. A tooth had become a little sharp and caused an abyss on his cheek. It had happened really quickly. Luckily they could operate today as well, so they've filed that down and cleaned his cheek up. It's good we caught it early, though sadly not early enough that they could clean it up without having to cut his cheek, but he hadn't lost weight and it wasn't infected. It's his own fault, he doesn't eat enough hay. I feel like a rubbish pet owner though.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

shmee posted:

Aww...poor Toastie.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Deceptor101 posted:

Those things are all really pretty easy to fix with a wire stripper and some electrical tape. I've also had unfortunate bunny chewing up computer things experiences, just be glad that she didn't try the power cord! You can get pretty hard plastic tubing to keep the wires inside, I think it's tough enough that the buns wouldn't mess with it.

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend
I'm not entirely sure what happened, but when I got home both bunnies were out of their pens. The front of one of the pens was broken out (grids pulled apart) but the other one was closed. There was lots of white fuzz in the broken pen.

My guess is that Mocha managed to jump from his pen into Creme's and he started harassing her and her efforts to escape him broke the pen apart. I watched them for a few moments before repairing the damage and putting them back, and it definitely looked like Mocha was defending the pen from Creme. That punk. Creme seems okay, she's a little skittish right now so it's hard to get a good look at her.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Baitu posted:

I'm not entirely sure what happened, but when I got home both bunnies were out of their pens. The front of one of the pens was broken out (grids pulled apart) but the other one was closed. There was lots of white fuzz in the broken pen.

My guess is that Mocha managed to jump from his pen into Creme's and he started harassing her and her efforts to escape him broke the pen apart. I watched them for a few moments before repairing the damage and putting them back, and it definitely looked like Mocha was defending the pen from Creme. That punk. Creme seems okay, she's a little skittish right now so it's hard to get a good look at her.

I watched Lucy jump into Jack's pen once, thankfully I got to him before she ate him. Now there's a sheet covering their pens so she won't jump in.

Bunny love sucks.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Do rabbits need to eat pellets? I just feed mine hay and veggies.

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend

SpaceMonkey posted:

I don't think so. They're fortified with vitamins, so they are nice as a supplement but if your rabbit(s) are getting a good mix of dark, leafy veggies that probably isn't a concern. My vet told me to only give my buns 2-4 tablespoons (4 tablespoons = 1/4 cup) of pellets a day since they are so high calorie.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Wrong account

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Baitu posted:

Ug I'm sorry. Same thing happened to me and it required a vet trip. I would hold off on the bonding for a few weeks because they will remember the incident and Creme will be extra crabby because of it

And rabbits don't need the pellets, but I think of them as a healthy treat instead of those crappy yogurt things

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

SpaceMonkey posted:

In the winter I can't always afford the higher cost of most veggies, so I end up being a bad momma and offering pellets - mo more than 1/4c - and offering whatever happens to be on sale as a special second course until the next shopping trip. I was thinking about getting one of those AeroGrow garden things if they weren't so dang expensive. It would be perfect for winter gardening since I get almost no light through the windows.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

SpaceMonkey posted:

No they don't need them. I do give them to mine - only a 1/4 cup though. They are good to have around though. This past week I've been incredibly ill and could not get out to get veggies. So I had to give them extra pellets for 2 days so they wouldn't starve.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

girlscoutdropout posted:

No they don't need them. I do give them to mine - only a 1/4 cup though. They are good to have around though. This past week I've been incredibly ill and could not get out to get veggies. So I had to give them extra pellets for 2 days so they wouldn't starve.

Ditto on this. I give pellets one or twice a week, because most of my rabbits are elderly and can benefit from the extra calories, and I do feed pellets on any day when I fail to feed veggies (like the day I got home and my veggie donation bag was full of nothing but iceberg lettuce and rotten strawberries). But otherwise, you are correct, hay and veggies is really all they need.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Kind of like the same reason my mom would keep TV dinners in the freezer growing up, if she got sick, we at least knew how to operate a microwave and wouldn't burn the house down.

Just a last resort thing.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

14 hours until we get the keys to our new house!! The bunnies get moved tomorrow evening!! Anything else I need to think of?

New plastic tablecloths for under the carpet.
New Carpet
Clean pens
Brand new litter boxes
Clean bowls/hay racks
All new toys

What else can I do?

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

So last night was the first night in the new house. Everyone is all settled in their cages. Then I'm still up at 1am (no idea why) and I hear running. I run upstairs and SOMEHOW Lucy has gotten into Jack's cage and he's humping her. I know the next step would of been fighting. Thankfully I got there in time. So I put Jack in the spare bedroom and I've been moving all day.

I just put them back in the same room and covered Lucy's pen with a sheet and clothespinned it about every 3-4 inches. I don't see how she could get out. She sure was trying, so I just separated Jack again.

I'm worried that Lucy is going to stake her territory in the room she's in, but I can't move her because it's really the only bunny-proofed room. I don't have time to sit there and "referee" because this weekend is the only weekend I have to move.

What should I do? I want to just scream. Why does this have to be so drat difficult?

i can hear her right now trying to climb the bars to get out. I guess my next option is to take apart the whole cage and use the connectors the NIC cubes come with and make a cage with a top? I don't think I have enough though.

Advice? Please? I'm begging.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

girlscoutdropout posted:

So last night was the first night in the new house. Everyone is all settled in their cages. Then I'm still up at 1am (no idea why) and I hear running. I run upstairs and SOMEHOW Lucy has gotten into Jack's cage and he's humping her. I know the next step would of been fighting. Thankfully I got there in time. So I put Jack in the spare bedroom and I've been moving all day.

I just put them back in the same room and covered Lucy's pen with a sheet and clothespinned it about every 3-4 inches. I don't see how she could get out. She sure was trying, so I just separated Jack again.

I'm worried that Lucy is going to stake her territory in the room she's in, but I can't move her because it's really the only bunny-proofed room. I don't have time to sit there and "referee" because this weekend is the only weekend I have to move.

What should I do? I want to just scream. Why does this have to be so drat difficult?

i can hear her right now trying to climb the bars to get out. I guess my next option is to take apart the whole cage and use the connectors the NIC cubes come with and make a cage with a top? I don't think I have enough though.

Advice? Please? I'm begging.

I know how hard this is...sometimes you want to kill them when you have more important things going on. I think you're going to have to build a secure cage witha top. They can't be allowed to get at each other because if they have a bad experience it sets you back. I would have let him keep humping her and seen what would have happened...in a new place sometimes they just change their minds. Get a secure cage together, and start bonding again immediately if possible. Don't let either one get the chance to establish territory in the new place. It needs to be "their" house not one or the others. Do you think your female is really going to let the male be the dominant one? I would encourage her into this thinking if you feel that she really can be submissive to him. My female kicked my males rear end and he finally got the point and submitted to her.

Sorry about the babbling. Get them in the car as soon as you can, or on top the dryer. They have to work out their squabbles in the new territory as to who is going to be dominant. Once that's established, I think you'll have a very easy time. Don't separate them unless things get really nasty. I'm kinda thinking that a little roughness is needed to get the job done

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Bunway Airlines posted:

I know how hard this is...sometimes you want to kill them when you have more important things going on. I think you're going to have to build a secure cage witha top. They can't be allowed to get at each other because if they have a bad experience it sets you back. I would have let him keep humping her and seen what would have happened...in a new place sometimes they just change their minds. Get a secure cage together, and start bonding again immediately if possible. Don't let either one get the chance to establish territory in the new place. It needs to be "their" house not one or the others. Do you think your female is really going to let the male be the dominant one? I would encourage her into this thinking if you feel that she really can be submissive to him. My female kicked my males rear end and he finally got the point and submitted to her.

Sorry about the babbling. Get them in the car as soon as you can, or on top the dryer. They have to work out their squabbles in the new territory as to who is going to be dominant. Once that's established, I think you'll have a very easy time. Don't separate them unless things get really nasty. I'm kinda thinking that a little roughness is needed to get the job done

Yeah, bonding starts today. I hope the top is secure enough with the sheets and clothespins. I just don't see Lucy being submissive, but I don't know. I just want to get this over with. I have the hardest time telling if they are about to fight or not. I never see their tails go up and their ears don't go back since they're lops.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
Yeah, lops are hilarious with their ears.

Just keep trying. The key is to do it sooner rather than later so they don't establish ideas of territory. Keep us up to date :)

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I cannot believe how difficult it is to get my rabbit to sit still for a picture. He'll sit completely motionless for hours and hours but when I have a camera, he KNOWS it. Well I got you this time you fucker.

It's still totally out of focus GOD DAMMIT :mad:

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
if they run around long enough they much eventually lie down for a bit.

my bunny always run around for 10mins rest for 3-4mins, he really likes it when I pet him them.

Sarita
Dec 3, 2005
I DON'T GET JOKES
This was my beautiful Dutch rabbit, Coco.

My bunny died this morning. :(

I adopted her after she was abandoned in our neighborhood. She was with our family for about 5 years and I miss her terribly. I'm thinking of getting another bunny.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Sarita posted:

This was my beautiful Dutch rabbit, Coco.

My bunny died this morning. :(

I adopted her after she was abandoned in our neighborhood. She was with our family for about 5 years and I miss her terribly. I'm thinking of getting another bunny.

Aww I'm so sorry.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

So my girlfriend and I are bunny lovers who frequently lurk the thread. We've never bonded buns before, and today we adopted a second. We have a cube cage, split down the middle with a divider. When we put the new bun in his side they seemed pretty interested in each other, and pretty soon they were licking each other through the bars. From what I've read this is a pretty good sign. How long should we wait before introduce them? (they're both fixed etc... this is also a new place, and a new cage, the old bun has only been here for a few days).

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

GoodApollo posted:

So my girlfriend and I are bunny lovers who frequently lurk the thread. We've never bonded buns before, and today we adopted a second. We have a cube cage, split down the middle with a divider. When we put the new bun in his side they seemed pretty interested in each other, and pretty soon they were licking each other through the bars. From what I've read this is a pretty good sign. How long should we wait before introduce them? (they're both fixed etc... this is also a new place, and a new cage, the old bun has only been here for a few days).

That's an excellent sign. You may be lucky and have love at first sight. I would try a car ride and then let them be together when you get home, in the bathtub or somewhere like that. Set up a pen if you have one and see how it goes. Humping is to be expected, just no seriously aggressive chasing or biting. Good luck :)

And I'm so sorry for your loss Sarita, she was a very pretty bunny

Linda
Sep 26, 2007
Your ... your brain has the shell on it.

Are you talking?
Hey, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what to do with a pet rabbit when you have to leave town for a few weeks? I don't trust my parents with my rabbit, and I don't want to push the responsibility on my roommates either. Any ideas? Thanks.

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend

Linda posted:

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what to do with a pet rabbit when you have to leave town for a few weeks? I don't trust my parents with my rabbit, and I don't want to push the responsibility on my roommates either. Any ideas? Thanks.

I know our bunny vet has "exotics only" boarding - no cats or dogs. They take a picture of your pet everyday and make you a little "camp diary." I'm not sure how much it costs, but that is probably what my husband and I will do when we are out of town. I think the price will be worth the piece of mind that they are being taken care of by someone who knows bunnies. I'd check and see what local vets have to offer in terms of boarding, but make sure to check it out in person before you book anything to make sure it's going to be suitable for your bunnies.

Local rabbit rescues may offer boarding as well.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Now Lucy has figured out how to chew through the zip ties to get out. AHHHH!!!!

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend

girlscoutdropout posted:

I think Mocha and Lucy are working together plotting new escape routes, he just started doing that too.

Paul E. Waug
Feb 18, 2007

girlscoutdropout posted:

Get some of these paper clips. They will fit between the bars and you take the grips off for bun safety. They wont be quite tight but the bars wont separate enough to let a bun through. And you can put the grips back to rearrange panels.

<edit> Or if you want the bars held tight together you can put the clips over your zip-ties to protect them from the buns.

Paul E. Waug fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 19, 2008

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

We decided to start our bonding today. We put them in a box and drove around for 20-30 minutes. They cuddled up a bit and seemed to be doing fine, so we put them in neutral territory (a bathtub). They sniffed and each other and laid by each other a bit. A few times they took short licks at each other, but for the most part that's all they did. No aggression, but not much else either. I tried putting juice on their noses, which Milly thought was great, and Knowles seemed pretty apathetic about.

We were there maybe 2-3 hours and they mostly just ignored one another, although for some reason when Knowles (the new bunny) is around Milly, he's far more comfortable. He let's us pet and play with him a lot more than when she's locked up.

Anyway, once we got home and unlocked the cages they both jumped out before we could get them, and they've pretty much just been hanging out, doing exactly the same thing they were before, in non-neutral territory. We decided to just let them go for a bit... they've been in each other's cages, even eaten each other's food and neither seems to mind.

We are confused!

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

GoodApollo posted:

We decided to start our bonding today. We put them in a box and drove around for 20-30 minutes. They cuddled up a bit and seemed to be doing fine, so we put them in neutral territory (a bathtub). They sniffed and each other and laid by each other a bit. A few times they took short licks at each other, but for the most part that's all they did. No aggression, but not much else either. I tried putting juice on their noses, which Milly thought was great, and Knowles seemed pretty apathetic about.

We were there maybe 2-3 hours and they mostly just ignored one another, although for some reason when Knowles (the new bunny) is around Milly, he's far more comfortable. He let's us pet and play with him a lot more than when she's locked up.

Anyway, once we got home and unlocked the cages they both jumped out before we could get them, and they've pretty much just been hanging out, doing exactly the same thing they were before, in non-neutral territory. We decided to just let them go for a bit... they've been in each other's cages, even eaten each other's food and neither seems to mind.

We are confused!

Could be love at first sight! Just don't leave them unsupervised and still keep an eye out for ears back and/or tail up so you can prevent a fight. Bunnies hold grudges, if I fight happens, bonding will have to be put on hold. I would keep doing as many supervised bonding sessions as you can. Maybe after a week or so of no aggression you could start leaving them unsupervised(?)

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Paul E. Waug posted:

Get some of these paper clips. They will fit between the bars and you take the grips off for bun safety. They wont be quite tight but the bars wont separate enough to let a bun through. And you can put the grips back to rearrange panels.

<edit> Or if you want the bars held tight together you can put the clips over your zip-ties to protect them from the buns.

Great idea! Going tomorrow to buy some. Thanks.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

girlscoutdropout posted:

Could be love at first sight! Just don't leave them unsupervised and still keep an eye out for ears back and/or tail up so you can prevent a fight. Bunnies hold grudges, if I fight happens, bonding will have to be put on hold. I would keep doing as many supervised bonding sessions as you can. Maybe after a week or so of no aggression you could start leaving them unsupervised(?)

Hope so! They've been together in non-neutral territory for a few hours now and seem fine with it. They're still not paying each other much attention aside from the occasional nudging. When they're in close quarters they'll clean themselves, but not each other, I read somewhere that might be a sign that they want to clean each other but are too nervous.

Wow okay, actually, as I was writing this they finally started paying attention to each other- Knowles started licking and nudging Milly who seemed to be laying submissive for him. Then when it was Milly's turn she licked for a bit then started humping... his head. Fortunately he's pretty laid back and we got her off quick enough it wasn't a problem. It seemed like it was just a fluke so we let them get near each other again, but after a few seconds of licking Milly seemed about to mount again so we put her up. He didn't seemed too bothered about the ordeal but it scared the crap out of us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

GoodApollo posted:

Knowles started licking and nudging Milly who seemed to be laying submissive for him. Then when it was Milly's turn she licked for a bit then started humping... his head.

Perfectly normal. Actually, the licking bunny is usually the submissive one. That flat, submissive-looking posture is actually bunny for I AM YOUR QUEEN GROOM ME NOW. So it makes sense that she would also demonstrate her dominance through the humping as well, to reinforce the message: "I'm being nice and grooming you, but you still my BITCH".

I have a pair who've been bonded for over 3 years. The female Daisy is VERY dominant, and humps Wordsworth every time she grooms him. He just looks rather resigned at this point.

Next time you give them together-time, don't separate them prematurely unless you see fur pulling and biting. It's helpful to see what happens after the humping - do things deteriorate, or do they go back to ignoring each other and occasionally grooming? It's better that they work out any dominance disputes under your supervision.