Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
Amen to Alucinor.

This all sounds great Good Apollo. Just let them be together for as long as possible. Try having a salad together to make sure theres no food related aggression. I'm happy it was so easy for you :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend
I have a question about feeding since it will likely be an issue once Mocha and Creme are co-habitating.

Mocha is a little pig. He knows my morning routine and follows me around nudging me until I give him his pellets, which he consumes immediately after I give them to him. Creme daintily nibbles her pellets through the day. How am I going to keep Mocha from eating all of the pellets and getting pudgy? The story is the same for veggies as well, when they share salads Creme probably eats a fifth and Mocha mows down on the rest. We are beginning to suspect that the few times Mocha managed to get into Creme's pen his motivation was her food.

Bonding is going okay. Currently they can spend hours together (we even did an overnight) in the master bathroom being all snuggly and cute. However, Mocha is very territorial about the pens, even though I've been having them switch sides everyday after *snuggle time.* How long should I keep doing the bathroom thing before I open the permanent cage (with new carpet) and see how they do in there?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
With regard to feeding: I'm assuming that you are following the recommendations here for pellet amounts, and that they always have plenty of hay?

It can go two ways: I've seen several pairs where the less-hungry rabbit speeds up to compete with the hungrier rabbit, and also pairs where the less-hungry rabbit just misses out.

I usually give my pairs about a quarter to half more veggies than I feed to two singles, to help make sure that the less-hungry rabbit gets her share. But I don't increase the pellets - if anything, I give less pellets to pairs where one bun is a hog*. Let them get the bulk of their nutrition from hay and veggies, and obesity won't be an issue.

*The exception is my elderly pair. They get a relatively larger share of pellets because both need the extra calories to keep weight on.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

In my spare time I hypnotize bunnies.

So this morning I was getting ready for work and Jack was in the bedroom and he started doing figure 8s around my legs and almost chasing me like it was a game (would run to my feet then run away, then look back. Repeat). Then he bit the back of my leg. Was he just playing? I know rabbits will nip at each other when they are playing. It didn't seem aggressive - at least I hope not.

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend

alucinor posted:

With regard to feeding: I'm assuming that you are following the recommendations here for pellet amounts, and that they always have plenty of hay?

Yep. They are both ~4lbs, so we give them each 1/4 cup of pellets per day. They get a bowl of veggies in the morning and evening, and they have unlimited hay.

Thanks for the information.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

girlscoutdropout posted:

So this morning I was getting ready for work and Jack was in the bedroom and he started doing figure 8s around my legs and almost chasing me like it was a game (would run to my feet then run away, then look back. Repeat). Then he bit the back of my leg. Was he just playing? I know rabbits will nip at each other when they are playing. It didn't seem aggressive - at least I hope not.

He wants to mate with you. That's sexual aggression. Discourage it :)

And Baitu, that's kinda something you have to feel out. If they're spending overnight together, that's a great sign. Can you maybe move the pen again so it's in a different location and seems "different"?

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Bunway Airlines posted:

Amen to Alucinor.

This all sounds great Good Apollo. Just let them be together for as long as possible. Try having a salad together to make sure theres no food related aggression. I'm happy it was so easy for you :)

We were just about to try session #2 when I read this so we gave it a try. They shared their salad nice, then when they were done, Milly immediately started humping Knowles. He took it and everything seemed fine, she started drinking and they nibbled a few leftovers together.

Then, Knowles decided he was going to try and mount her, which she avoided and ran from. We put them in another pen to see if they would work out their differences there. Milly humped a few times and Knowles took it, but everytime he tried she ran away. Finally he tried to avoid her humping which may have almost caused a fight, but I got freaked out and separated them.

After that they ignored each other for a while. When they got near each other again, they alternated bowing to each other and snuggling a bit. At one point Knowles made some kind of clicking sound, but for the most part they both loafed up and sat next to each other until we ended the session.

Also I would like to add that watching bunnies hump each other is the most uncomfortable scene ever.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
Yeah she's clearly going to be dominant and he's thinking that maybe he can sneak in a good time. Not going to happen. He'll figure it out eventually and she will be in charge. It's the same situation with my 2

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
As a bunny-less lurker who wants one but doesn't have the time or space to keep one, I'd like to say: there are no bunnies on this page :(.

I was buying cat food yesterday and walked by the rabbit cage at the store and one of them hopped up onto its little wheel and stared at me and wiggled its nose and something inside me broke. It took all of my self control not to just buy him right then but a) pet store bunnies :( and b) no way/space to care for a bunny.

In short: cute bunny pictures please.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Bunway Airlines posted:

He wants to mate with you. That's sexual aggression. Discourage it :)

Seriously? He's been neutered for almost 3 years. I mean I suppose he still knows he's a male, but I would of thought those hormones would have been gone.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Well, seeing as how I haven't shared yet, here you go!

This is Knowles, our new bun. He's a little on the shy side, so we're in the process of becoming good friends:

This is Milly, our Dutch Mini. As you can tell, she knows where the goodies come from:

Here she is trying to look sweet:

The Milly pictures a little old now, maybe some new ones soon (and maybe some of them together!)

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

girlscoutdropout posted:

Seriously? He's been neutered for almost 3 years. I mean I suppose he still knows he's a male, but I would of thought those hormones would have been gone.

Yep. Take it as a compliment. He wants to hump you :buddy:

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Bunway Airlines posted:

Delightful.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Women's Rights? posted:

As a bunny-less lurker who wants one but doesn't have the time or space to keep one, I'd like to say: there are no bunnies on this page :(.
I finally got mine to sit still! Totally voluntarily!

quote:

I was buying cat food yesterday and walked by the rabbit cage at the store and one of them hopped up onto its little wheel and stared at me and wiggled its nose and something inside me broke. It took all of my self control not to just buy him right then but a) pet store bunnies :( and b) no way/space to care for a bunny.

In short: cute bunny pictures please.

I had one of those moments but I caved and now I'm so very happy with my rabbit. Really I didn't expect to enjoy having a rabbit this much. And I know pet store rabbits are bad :( but I figured if/when he gets a rabbit friend I'm going to adopt a very unloved rabbit from a shelter to make up for it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Bunway Airlines posted:

I'm now insulted that neither of my male rabbits have ever tried to hump me, even before they were fixed. :( What's the matter, am I not good enough for you? And the cat is? You bastards!

I noticed Momo is a lot calmer about being out of the cage and sprawled out on my bed, but Cowslips tends to panic and jump down and back into their cage...when nothing is bothering Momo at all. I just need to work more with Cowslip, I imagine?

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
posting old bunny pictures, need to take new ones.

Bubbles the rabbit:

not dead just sleeping :)

SpaceMonkey fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 21, 2008

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

My Lewie

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend
Everybody's bunnies are so cute. I especially like Milly at the fridge.

Mocha decided to jump on the couch for the first time last night, a place my husband and I had considered a safe refuge for the remote and other bunny-tasty items. He did a pretty good job on the "comfort grip" handle of a cat brush.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

It's pictures time.

This is Laser. Laser has been :dance: lately.

This is Binky. Binky has been :3: lately. Binky had to be taken to the vet to get her bum shaved. See previous page for details. Only cost $16.50 to get hair and nails clipped, was happily suprised as we had been expecting it to cost more like $50. Turns out the vet nurse owns a rabbit too.

Bonding is going very well, they can be left alone in neutral territory (the kitchen) all day without fighting, and are up to about 30 minutes in contested territory (the living room immediately outside their cage).

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

Baitu posted:

Mocha decided to jump on the couch for the first time last night, a place my husband and I had considered a safe refuge for the remote and other bunny-tasty items. He did a pretty good job on the "comfort grip" handle of a cat brush.

yeah my buns apparently started going higher up too, and well, now you have to really work at the remote buttons to work...

Cowslips, Ben and Annie are just like you describe too. Annie will be sprawled out totally relaxed, and Ben will want to come out and hang out too, but then something will make sometimes, (or sometimes it even wont) and he'll go zooming back under the bed and thump. Whats funny is Annie has learned she has a paranoid boyfriend, and just ignores him. I figure it has something to do with the accident he got in before I adopted him, but hey, gives him personality. Whats funny though is he will totally just sit and go "ok it's nail clipping time, just get it over with" where Annie panics like there's no tomorrow. Bunrito wrap, trancing, she knows whats coming and wants to get AWAY. Anyone have any good suggestions on how to make her more comfortable in my arms? I've heard of things like "pick her up, treat, put her down, treat, repeat" does that actually work?

Deceptor101 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 22, 2008

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Deceptor101 posted:

Anyone have any good suggestions on how to make her more comfortable in my arms? I've heard of things like "pick her up, treat, put her down, treat, repeat" does that actually work?

I've tried so much to get Billy to not mind being picked up, including treats and everything else. He still freaks out like he's going to die every time. Some rabbits just aren't the being picked up kind I assume.

And on other days he doesn't mind being picked up at all, he'll even bug me until I play "airplane" with him. I just can't figure him out.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
Ohh rabbits being picked up. I can only offer my suggestions that have worked with my two who were both somewhat feral when I got them, especially my female. I am of the mindset that I get to pick up my animals when I want to and when I need to, mostly because if theres an emergency I don't want to chase rabbits around the house for 15 min until I can catch them. Ender, my male, who I've had for almost 2 years, is just jelly in my hands. I can grab him one handed and carry him around comfortablly. Portia is getting better, but I think the key is that they have to realize that struggling will not get them anywhere. I never let go of mine until I'm ready, even if I have a slight war over it. Once they realize they can't escape, they accept it and calm down. Ender's gotten so submissive to me that I spend the entire eveing being licked to death on the couch. They both like to sit next to me and hang out. Neither one of mine freak out easily but it did take a lot of time. When Portia gets a bit spazzy because she's still young, I catch her and chill her out until she goes to sleep. She used to struggle a lot and now she's much more chill.

Like I said, it takes time and you will have to get good at gently holding onto a struggling bunny. They calm down after awhile

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Oh god, holding on to a struggling rabbit. I guess I just cave too easily in that respect but it's hard not to when he's so drat sharp. The first few weeks after I bought him I looked like some kind of emo cutter with cuts all over my arms.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
That sounds good, better that spoiling her with treats. I did it for about 10 minutes, good thing i was wearing a sweatshirt, as she really loves to nip when she wants to be on the floor. Hopefully I can get her comfortable enough that I can cut her nails soon, it's getting bad :(.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
Anyone know if rabbits and chinchillas mix well? not for permanent housing but running around together?

asteroceras
Mar 18, 2007

by T. Finn
Warning: Bunny images

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

SpaceMonkey posted:

Anyone know if rabbits and chinchillas mix well? not for permanent housing but running around together?

No. Too dangerous. A rabbit who even playfully mounts a smaller animal like a chin or guinea pig, can easily break their playmate's back.

Also - and to me this is the more critical issue, since it's not a visible danger - rabbits have gram negative flora in their intestines. Chinchillas and guinea pigs both have gram positive flora. Access to one another's feces (or even contact with soiled hay or litter, even without visible poops) can result in disruption of the flora in either species. It's NOT worth the risk.

Edit to add: I don't even let my pigs run around on the carpet where the rabbits have been; I cover the carpet with washable sheets to protect the pigs from rabbit bacteria.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Deceptor101 posted:

yeah my buns apparently started going higher up too, and well, now you have to really work at the remote buttons to work...

Last month we got a brand new DVD player to replace our 11 year old monster of a payer. We didn't have it for two full days and Murphy had decided in that time to play up on the sofa. While I thought it was cute that he wanted to join me, I had no idea of he alterior motives. The little bugger chewed all the buttons on the left side of the remote, right down to the plastic. I don't even know what those buttons did! Now I have to get out the manual to even use the remote :argh: bunnies!

Aika
Mar 12, 2008

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SEAL THE EXITS!!!
I love this thread! I sadly don't have pictures of my former buns, but you guys'd probably kill my mom for having them in an outdoor hutch (and other dumb things, like treats of oatmeal). When I come back from Germany and live off campus, first thing I'm doing is adopting from the local shelter, getting him/her fixed, and building one of those awesome wire cages.

Anyway, since you guys are the experts, I have a question about rabbit behaviour: what does it mean when a hops in a tight circle (it looked like he was chasing his tair) until he gets so dizzy as to fall over? Ralph would do it every time he was fed. He also would stick his head out of the cage and bob up and down like crazy trying to get food to come faster. We just thought he was overly excitable, because his predecessor, Star, just would run up for petting and wait patiently.

I miss them, both passed away from snuffles at around 7 :(

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
So, late saturday night we noticed some weird noises coming from the rabbit cage. We kind of peeked inside the cage, but no one was in distress. We finally caught what was making the noise - Nobbers was having a (strangely adorable, minature, rabbit) sneezing fit. Poor little guy.

Anyway, he was sneezing for two days. I checked his nose - not running. Checked his ears, they were normal temperature. He was pooping and eating normal, and there were no soft poops in the cage.

He seemed to stop sneezing today. The vet was closed, but they open tomorrow. My question is, should I get a checkup for him, even though he isn't sneezing anymore and there are no more side effects..?

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

quote:

sneezing

It could be an allergic reaction or just dust. Or maybe the litter or bedding(if you use it). Since it has stopped it may be nothing to worry about, but it never hurts to at least call and ask your vet what he or she thinks.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006

alucinor posted:

Words...

Thanks! I let them run around once before I made the post but I will not let them near each other anymore.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
OKAY. I know that you guys will appreciate these pictures.

playing with the catnip mouse. Paterson was playing with it but something freaked him out and he stopped and ran away:

Bitsy:

Bitsy is a lot more outgoing than Paterson. He likes to hide but is FINALLY letting us pet him. Yay.

luscious fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 15, 2011

AlbinoHagfish
Dec 9, 2005

Og dei som ikkje klarer st distansen, dei kan ikkje vr medlem av resistansen.
http://www.sweetdreamsbunnylodge.com/home.html

I found this site accidentally while GISing rabbit pictures and am considering booking my two bunny buddies for a trip there when I go on vacation this summer. Does anyone think this doesn't look legit, or seems like a bad idea? I called the woman who runs it and she seems to really know what she's doing, i.e. no unbonded/strange bunnies interacting together.

Still, though, I want to make sure.

This sold me on the idea. Seriously, how adorable is that picture?

AlbinoHagfish fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 26, 2008

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

AlbinoHagfish posted:

Still, though, I want to make sure.

My main concern in taking my rabbits to a place with other rabbits, is the chance for disease to spread from boarders who haven't been vetted. Does she require a vet check prior to boarding? If so, I think you're good.

There's probably no more danger of infectious disease than you'd get boarding at the vet, and she certainly looks like she knows how to take care of them. I would contact the SDHRS for a reference to be sure, but if that checks out and you understand the risk, it looks pretty awesome.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

That place looks expensive if you'll be away for a while, but awesome as hell. The single pen is large and roomy enough to play, and only $5 more per night for the huge double pen. I do see that she offers trips to the vet, grooming, etc. I would ask about emergency situations as far as vet trips and bills are concerned. Does she pay and bill you later, or will the vet just bill you? Do you leave your cc number and info? I never know how that stuff works since mine are always already at the vet in boarding.

I wish I had her job. Who doesn't love hoards of fluffy bunnies?

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend

Windy posted:

I wish I had her job. Who doesn't love hoards of fluffy bunnies?

I know. Did you look at all of the adorable pictures she had taken? I should find somebody to do that for me, pictures I take don't do Creme and Mocha and justice and since we live so far away from our parents it would be nice to send them good pictures of their grandchildren.

AlbinoHagfish
Dec 9, 2005

Og dei som ikkje klarer st distansen, dei kan ikkje vr medlem av resistansen.
She needs both a vet check and immunization records, so I think that part is clear.

And honestly, I am seriously debating trying something like this myself. I'd need a more solid background and a much better idea of what I'm getting into, but this seems like the best job ever. I had no idea rabbit hotels even existed.

I'll only be gone a week so it won't be too long, and honestly I'm thinking I'll get the picture package too. I know I could just photograph them here, but come on. Any crazy rabbit lady can't resist the opportunity to have more bunny pictures.

I asked about the emergency care, seemed good. I'm not leaving until July and by then her yard will be revamped. I asked if I could leave their leashes and they could get special outside time. That's an option, which I think is an even bigger bonus.

AlbinoHagfish fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 27, 2008

TotalBiscuit
Sep 17, 2007
Here's a couple of pics, one of Kiki, who I believe you've seen before. This is his vet pic. He is not pleased after his examination. Sadly, we still cannot afford to get him done. Soon though, hopefully, and then we can start the bonding process.

And introducing, Jiki.

This one came from a breeder (not bred specifically for us, it was from a litter of show-bunnies who they were trying to find good homes for). She has an unusually long nose and the fur is quite literally like satin. We got her seen to and thankfully her fur didn't lose it's luster. She's currently hanging out in Kiki's old cage until we can get Kiki sorted. They will lie next to each other, but if they do get together, it results in violence from Kiki, as we found out when he managed to weasel his way out of his cage one day while Jiki was having her run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Our TV remote no longer has a 2 button because Zen decided to chow down on the remote one day. I think she's jealous because it always looks like I'm 'playing' with the remote more than with her when I'm channel surfing (which is really the only way I watch tv :/).

As for picking up buns: Zen just eventually got used to it. As a baby she'd flip out over being picked up but now she'll snuggle for a minute or so before wriggling to the floor. She's still not hugely cuddly but we're getting there.

I need to find a real camera to take pictures -- iphone camera isn't doing the trick.

Anyone have suggestions for new and interesting things I could give her as toys? She's no longer interested in paper towel/toilet paper tubes, or her rattly ball, or even tearing up the sweatshirt she stole from me. I'm afraid she's getting bored agai but I can't seem to find anything to entice her.