Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend

angelicism posted:

Anyone have suggestions for new and interesting things I could give her as toys? She's no longer interested in paper towel/toilet paper tubes, or her rattly ball, or even tearing up the sweatshirt she stole from me. I'm afraid she's getting bored agai but I can't seem to find anything to entice her.

Here are some things Mocha likes (Creme isn't really into toys):

-Slinky (he goes crazy with this sometimes)
-Cat balls with bells inside - tie some sisal rope through the holes so they can pick them up and shake them around
-Cap from laundry detergent (wash well!)
-Large cat ball that you can open up and put things inside - since there are holes the bunnies can pick them up with their teeth and throw it, you can also put hay inside for them to pull out - Creme does like this one too
-drill hole in untreated pine wood block, soak in unsweetened apple juice for 3 days, thread sisal rope through hole and knot at both ends

-We also have a crazy hanging toy with made with uncolored raffia, little cardboard tubes, paper egg cartons, ect. that we were given when we adopted Creme. I don't know if they'll like it or not, we are saving it for when they move in together.

I'll post a picture in a minute so you can see what I'm talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend
Please excuse all the crap on my kitchen table in the background. The over exposed white thing is the wood block. I opened the big cat ball so you could kind of see how it works.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

angelicism posted:

Anyone have suggestions for new and interesting things I could give her as toys?

In addition to Baitu's excellent suggestions:

99c plastic baby keys from the grocery store. Paper lunch bag stuffed with hay and taped shut. Cardboard box, taped closed, with a small head-sized hole cut in the side at ground level. Unpainted willow basket from the craft store. Phone book...

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Mine will play with: plastic baby keys (awesome and cheap as mentioned), Duplo blocks(large fake Lego), grass mats for shredding, cardboard "bird bagels"(insanely cheap cardboard rings in various sizes), hard plastic bird toys, sheets of paper towel, scraps of wrapping paper that has curled, woven wicker balls. I like to browse Amazon from time to time because there are great deals on rabbit toys sometimes. I've scored big on 60% off sales. They happen randomly though, but it beats driving around to stores looking for new toys. Also check out the busy bunny online if you want to splurge on a toy or five. I think that right now they're donating 10% of every sale to the Make Mine Chocolate campaign for Easter.

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend

Windy posted:

sheets of paper towel

Yeah, leave the last sheet on the roll when you give it to them. Mocha loves destroying things, so it pleases him greatly to be able to rip it up.

alucinor posted:

99c plastic baby keys from the grocery store

I can't find the plastic baby keys anywhere. I know every baby in existence (at least in America) has them. Maybe I should dress up in black and raid the day care down the block. I've looked at the grocery store and at Target in the baby section.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

Baitu posted:

Yeah, leave the last sheet on the roll when you give it to them. Mocha loves destroying things, so it pleases him greatly to be able to rip it up.

I can't find the plastic baby keys anywhere. I know every baby in existence (at least in America) has them. Maybe I should dress up in black and raid the day care down the block. I've looked at the grocery store and at Target in the baby section.

I got mine at a nearby babys-R-US

So my girlfriend called me at work today, after she'd left the house "oh your rabbit is munching on one of those pepper packs from dominoes" Knowing how spicy they are, and that seeds in general are usually the more dangerous part to rabbits, I sped home, and researched it, and gave her tons of the best hay to help push it through. Am I overreacting? I mean those things are really spicy to me? Can rabbits taste spicy? will they eat it until their taste buds disappear? she wasn't eating them when I got home, and she seems fine. Should I worry? Should I go get her stomach pumped? Should I go back to work and just pretend she was eating cardboard?

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend
Bonding update: Things are going well. We've gotten up to 4 hours in contested territory (the living room) as long as the temporary pen is closed. They could probably go longer, but we're limited to evenings during the week, and last weekend was an overnight in neutral territory. There has been lots of grooming and snuggling and no chasing or biting.

Yesterday I opened up the permanent cage and they were both playing nicely inside of it, so I think Mocha has been away from it long enough that it's not "his" anymore. I'm keeping it closed when it's Mocha only floor time as a precaution.

If things keep going well, I'll try an over night this weekend. My husband and I will sleep on the floor in case of an emergency.

Are you having any luck girlscoutdropout?

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Deceptor101 posted:

I got mine at a nearby babys-R-US

So my girlfriend called me at work today, after she'd left the house "oh your rabbit is munching on one of those pepper packs from dominoes" Knowing how spicy they are, and that seeds in general are usually the more dangerous part to rabbits, I sped home, and researched it, and gave her tons of the best hay to help push it through. Am I overreacting? I mean those things are really spicy to me? Can rabbits taste spicy? will they eat it until their taste buds disappear? she wasn't eating them when I got home, and she seems fine. Should I worry? Should I go get her stomach pumped? Should I go back to work and just pretend she was eating cardboard?

*I'm no vet* but a tip would be to watch their poop, if it becomes soft and runny then i would seek medical advice, normal poop would be dry little balls that look like nestle quick cereal (mmmm)

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

SpaceMonkey posted:

*I'm no vet* but a tip would be to watch their poop, if it becomes soft and runny then i would seek medical advice, normal poop would be dry little balls that look like nestle quick cereal (mmmm)

yeah everything seems fine, and yes, we allll know what the poop looks like. its small, and it rolls, everywhere. eeevverrryyywherree. Especially under your feet.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

In my spare time I hypnotize bunnies.

Paul E. Waug posted:

Get some of these paper clips. They will fit between the bars and you take the grips off for bun safety. They wont be quite tight but the bars wont separate enough to let a bun through. And you can put the grips back to rearrange panels.

<edit> Or if you want the bars held tight together you can put the clips over your zip-ties to protect them from the buns.

I did this, and so far it's worked great. Lucy is very angry about them though. She knows it's those new little black things on the bars that are keeping her in, she tugs at them constantly. I don't know why she is so determined! I have no idea if bonding is progressing at all - Jack ignores her and just wants to lay out like a bunny loaf and get nose rubs, Lucy tries to lunge at him constantly lately.

I hate that I am considering (in the very back of my mind) rehoming Jack. I love them both so very much, I just could never get rid of Lucy. I also don't know if anyone would put up with her haha.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

girlscoutdropout posted:

I did this, and so far it's worked great. Lucy is very angry about them though. She knows it's those new little black things on the bars that are keeping her in, she tugs at them constantly. I don't know why she is so determined! I have no idea if bonding is progressing at all - Jack ignores her and just wants to lay out like a bunny loaf and get nose rubs, Lucy tries to lunge at him constantly lately.

I hate that I am considering (in the very back of my mind) rehoming Jack. I love them both so very much, I just could never get rid of Lucy. I also don't know if anyone would put up with her haha.

:(

I had to do that with the first girl I tried to bond Ender to. She just didn't mess personality wise with either me or him. She was too submissive to him and so he would just beat the poo poo out of her. Luckily the rescue I got her from took her back. I told them it wasn't going to work, they came by my house and watched them together and agreed with me. She ended up finding a nice home with a mellow boy bunny :)

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Bunway Airlines posted:

:(

I had to do that with the first girl I tried to bond Ender to. She just didn't mess personality wise with either me or him. She was too submissive to him and so he would just beat the poo poo out of her. Luckily the rescue I got her from took her back. I told them it wasn't going to work, they came by my house and watched them together and agreed with me. She ended up finding a nice home with a mellow boy bunny :)

Yeah the lady I rescued him from (and Lucy) still swears they can be bonded. She just lives an hour away and never can come help. I guess I'll give it a few more months. I just feel bad because Jack does have a good home with me (at least I think so) and it's so hard to find decent bunny owners that I'd rather give one of the buns in the rescue a home rather than Jack. Does that make any sense?

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Well, I haven't posted any pics of them in a while, and I know people expect pics, so without further ado, here are some great ones from around the litterbox tonight.

They really do react to the camera (except for Annie, she loves to eat)

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Aw they look so cute together.

Ok I have kind of a weird problem. I bought a highrise bed last week because well my place is seriously cramped and now me and the rabbit have a lot more living space. But every morning when I climb out of bed, Billy becomes absolutely terrified. I guess it can be kind of unsettling for a rabbit to see something big climb down towards him in the dark. So he's thumping his feet like a lunatic and growling and everything.

Is there a chance he's going to get accustomed to it? I don't want him to be terrified forever. It can't be good for him to be this scared every day. Would this problem be solved by me putting a light near the bed I can turn on before I get up? Or am I going to have to move him into another room at night?

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

a light would help, also making noises he's familiar with would help too. Just how high is the bed? i assume its like a bunk bed with a desk under it or something? If its low enough that you can dangle your hand down, and he can sniff up at it, that'll help too. Basically anything so that he knows its you, and not some monster swooping down at him.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah it's a bed with a desk under it. It's definitely too high for me dangle anything down from. Noises might be tricky because I don't think he ever notices or cares about me making noises at him during any other time. I guess I'll give the light a try.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

DS at Night posted:

I guess it can be kind of unsettling for a rabbit to see something big climb down towards him in the dark. So he's thumping his feet like a lunatic and growling and everything.

Is there a chance he's going to get accustomed to it? I don't want him to be terrified forever. It can't be good for him to be this scared every day. Would this problem be solved by me putting a light near the bed I can turn on before I get up? Or am I going to have to move him into another room at night?

Yeah, rabbits are adapted to be attuned to motions above them (birds of prey).

Yes, a light would help, but it's really the direction of the motion and not your actual shape that's scaring him. Talking to him as you climb down will help as well, you can also make a point of giving him a treat every time you climb down. It'll take a while to desensitize him but all these things should work. Just be on the lookout for an alarm state that doesn't subside in 15 minutes or so.

Does he have a box or something to hide in? If he can escape into his "burrow" he should be much less alarmed and adapt a bit quicker.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

15 minutes? Nah, it's more like ten seconds of terror followed by calmly hopping around the room again. I'm just worried because, you know, I heard about rabbits dying of heart attacks and all...

He does have a house in his cage but he never goes in it, only sleeps on top of it. He uses the house to store unwanted toys in.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Well, after realizing how completely useless it was to keep Knowles and Milly housed separately we combined their cages. The only thing is we still can't let Milly roam freely, as she is too destructive and doesn't entirely get the box yet while we like to let Knowles come and go as he pleases. I'm thinking about expanding their cage, or getting some kind of pen for them.

Anyhow, here's a photo of the happy couple:

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend
Not to be outdone by GoodApollo:

I had a hard time getting that photo because either one or both of the bunnies kept coming for love. Notice the giant Mocha ear below:

They officially moved in together Saturday. We slept downstairs with them Friday night, with them both out together, and then Saturday night with them both confined to the same cage and all was well. We haven't noticed any problems since then, not even over food. Alucinor was right about the pellets, it only took Creme a few days to figure out if she wanted pellets she had to get in and eat them.

Baitu fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 4, 2008

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
Yay I'm so happy for everyone!

Nice job on the bonding work. I think I'm about ready to roast one of mine. After a month of being perfect together, no fights, no nothing, they got into a fight on Monday afternoon. I was standing right there but I didn't see exactly how it started. I think it was over food and Portia thinking that I was sneaking Ender something.

Unfortuantely, I don't think I'm ever going to really be able to trust them together. I have two very dominant rabbtis who are both sometimes aggressive. Ender was never socialized with other rabbits, his mom died and I think his litter mates did as well. He was entirely raised by humans, so I think he sees me as more of his "mate" than Portia. Portia's still young and hyper as well, so maybe when she chills a bit we'll see. They can be together but not unsupervised and not for long periods of time.

I don't need this stress in my life....

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

I have the internet again! Yay! Anyways, so yesterday I get up and i see Jack has chewed through the zip ties and pulled the binder clip off and I found Jack and Lucy laying down about 2 feet from each other veryyyyyyy out of breath. I brought Jack downstairs with me, I wish I could have sat their with them, but I had to get ready for work. Jack laid sprawled out on the couch for about 30 min and then got down and hopped around. Lucy was pretty limp too, she eventually perked back up too. I called the "Bunny Lady" (lady I got them from) and she said this is a good sign that they finally calmed down and weren't hiding from one another and obviously there was a lot of chasing. Neither of them had injuries, but I did find a bit of white fur in Lucy's mouth. I really wanted to do some outside bonding time today - but it rained, and it's suppose to rain all tomorrow. I need to fix their cage so they can at least be in the same room together.

I hope I can actually get them bonded!!! I feel like it's 1 step forward, 10 steps back with these two.

I know how you feel Bunway...10 months of attempted bonding over here. I wish it was summer so I'd have more time, but final exams are coming up! Blah!

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Bunway Airlines posted:

Yay I'm so happy for everyone!

Nice job on the bonding work. I think I'm about ready to roast one of mine. After a month of being perfect together, no fights, no nothing, they got into a fight on Monday afternoon. I was standing right there but I didn't see exactly how it started. I think it was over food and Portia thinking that I was sneaking Ender something.

Unfortuantely, I don't think I'm ever going to really be able to trust them together. I have two very dominant rabbtis who are both sometimes aggressive. Ender was never socialized with other rabbits, his mom died and I think his litter mates did as well. He was entirely raised by humans, so I think he sees me as more of his "mate" than Portia. Portia's still young and hyper as well, so maybe when she chills a bit we'll see. They can be together but not unsupervised and not for long periods of time.

I don't need this stress in my life....

Welcome to my world... =/ While Annie and Ben are fine 95% of the time, occasionally he'll get pissy or something (I still think it's due to him having been attacked) and just bite at Annie. I think its more "give me attention" bites, as he's the dominant one, but they definitely tussle more than I'd rather, and tomorrow I'm finishing the second permanent cage. It'll be so sad to have to split them up, but I always come home to bits of Annie fur, even though they may be laying near each other peacefully. Also it's gotten to the point that if Ben snuggles his head near her, she'll think he might be about to bite, and will hop a few steps away. She still grooms him though.. I guess we'll see how separate living goes.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Girlscoutdropout can't you use metal clips to hold your cage together? There's got to be something they can't chew through.

As for me: I don't think he's scared anymore when I get out of bed. If only I could say the same for myself. I'm not great with stairs even when I'm fully awake... :goleft:

At least I managed to completely bunnyproof my room now.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

DS at Night posted:

Girlscoutdropout can't you use metal clips to hold your cage together? There's got to be something they can't chew through.

They somehow unclip them. Don't ask me how, it's a phenomenon.

*Off topic: I totally though "unclip" wasn't a real word...are you just slacking Macbook?*

PixieRocker67
Apr 3, 2008

by Fragmaster
Wow! They're so drat cute! I think I HAVE to buy a house bunny.
What's the smell like, just like normal bunnies?

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

PixieRocker67 posted:

Woah there partner. Make sure you know what you're getting into. If they're fixed, they don't smell bad but they still have an odor to them. It can be noticeable when you walk in my house

PixieRocker67
Apr 3, 2008

by Fragmaster

Bunway Airlines posted:

Woah there partner. Make sure you know what you're getting into. If they're fixed, they don't smell bad but they still have an odor to them. It can be noticeable when you walk in my house

Don't worry i'd think it through honestly, i'm not one of those people that run out buys a pet then forgets about it.
I have wanted a rabbit for a while and had considered the bigger ones with longer ears but not seriously looking right now.

....They are so drat cute though haha

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

PixieRocker67 posted:

rabbit pee reeks, its a condensed form of hell.
change my rabbits litter box every two days or it will stink.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

SpaceMonkey posted:

rabbit pee reeks, its a condensed form of hell.
change my rabbits litter box every two days or it will stink.

Oh God it does. So bad.

Worse than cat pee...which made me think of that recent South Park episode for some reason.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I'm not quite sure what to do with Cowslip; he doesn't want out of his cage at all. Now, I admit it is a four tier cage and he loves running around in it, but he panics any time I go to take him out for some out-of-cage play. He'll usually sit quietly near me while I brush him on the bed...but then he leaps down and runs back inside his cage, if I leave the door open. Otherwise he still bolts, and sits by the door, and goes in as soon as I open it.

He's a chewer, so I can't let him out unsupervised. I've tried working with him daily, but he panics so much when I try to get him out that he's injured himself (scratched his foot open trying to keep away from me). But I don't want an unfriendly rabbit on my hands. I don't want or need him to be a cuddle-thing, but I don't know how else to work with him if he panics and can hurt himself so.

Momo, on the other hand, seems to crave being petted and wants out daily. He's taken to pooping on one area of my bed (I'm thinking of tossing another potty tray there), and if I leave him alone, he'll be found minutes later, sprawled out near my pillow or on the mound of blankets. I have noticed that sometimes, when I stop petting him, he seems to go into a mini-rage of biting the blankets and digging at them--but he never bites at me. Is this a dominance thing, or is he pissed at me for stopping the pets?

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

girlscoutdropout posted:

Oh God it does. So bad.

Worse than cat pee...which made me think of that recent South Park episode for some reason.

Really? I don't smell my rabbit at all and I change his litterbox every 3-4 days. And he's still not neutered either. I like to think this means giving him all that expensive lettuce is paying off.

Oh and maybe you should consider padlocks for your cage...

TotalBiscuit
Sep 17, 2007

girlscoutdropout posted:

Oh God it does. So bad.

Using the Yesterday's News litter, we have zero problems with bunny urine smell at all. We change it maybe once a week, and don't notice anything.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

girlscoutdropout posted:

Oh God it does. So bad.

I think cat pee smells far worse! I smell my cats more than my rabbits. I clean cat boxes more than once a day, and rabbit boxes every 4 days. The only time I smell bunny odors is when I dump out the liter during changes, and it's still not that bad(to me). I'm considering using the pine pellets with my cats, except I only bought enough to last me all year for the rabbits :p

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

TotalBiscuit posted:

Using the Yesterday's News litter, we have zero problems with bunny urine smell at all. We change it maybe once a week, and don't notice anything.

Oh I do. I guess I meant, the actual pee itself smells bad. I don't smell it in the litter. I only change my boxes once a week or so too. I can just always tell when Jack first uses the bathroom, it fills the whole room up. I think it's a male thing. Once it's soaked into the litter, I don't smell it.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I have noticed that sometimes, when I stop petting him, he seems to go into a mini-rage of biting the blankets and digging at them--but he never bites at me. Is this a dominance thing, or is he pissed at me for stopping the pets?

Annie does this all the time, she seems to just be having fun. She seems to really enjoy the fluffiness of the blankets for digging. Sometimes I kinda drop her into the fluff and then she'll immediately start digging. It's pretty cute.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Lewis is sneezing again :(

Also, this page doesn't have enough pics

Baitu
Mar 6, 2008

Veggie Fiend

Windy posted:

I think cat pee smells far worse! I smell my cats more than my rabbits. I clean cat boxes more than once a day, and rabbit boxes every 4 days. The only time I smell bunny odors is when I dump out the liter during changes, and it's still not that bad(to me). I'm considering using the pine pellets with my cats, except I only bought enough to last me all year for the rabbits :p

Mouse pee is far worst than cat or rabbit. No matter how recently I've cleaned the cage it always smells, which is funny because she is such a tiny animal. I cleaned mouse cages for a research facility for awhile, and of course they didn't get cleaned more than absolutely necessary (the mice had ventilation systems hooked up, so they weren't living in an ammonia vapor cloud) and it was pretty stinky.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Baitu posted:

Mouse pee is far worst than cat or rabbit. No matter how recently I've cleaned the cage it always smells, which is funny because she is such a tiny animal. I cleaned mouse cages for a research facility for awhile, and of course they didn't get cleaned more than absolutely necessary (the mice had ventilation systems hooked up, so they weren't living in an ammonia vapor cloud) and it was pretty stinky.

You know, I've noticed that my little robo's have a nasty smell sometimes. loving little cotton balls with legs, and the smell can knock me out if I don't clean their cage often enough. I've had enough hamsters to honestly say that a robo hamster, while almost five times as cute, is nearly 10 times as smelly. But oh god, so cute.

My rabbits are confined to their own room, and I can't smell a darn thing when I walk in. But downstairs I have three cat litterboxes for my two demons, and it's all I can smell the instant I walk in my apartment :/ If they ever invent a cat who never has to pee, I'll buy one in an instant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Baitu posted:

Mouse pee is far worst than cat or rabbit.

You haven't smelled sugar glider pee then...whew. It's bad, and they pee on EVERYTHING.