Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

leica posted:

Tockicos are poo poo. This is from working on tons of Miatas, I've never seen a blown KYB, but almost every Miata I worked on with Tockicos they were either leaking and/or completely blown and we'd replace them with KYB's. that being said, I'd go with Konis if you can afford it they are a much better damper.

If you want to go with anecdotal evidence, I blew two rear AGXs in under 1000 miles. However, I was reimbursed for their replacement and haven't had any issues with the replacement dampers so far. Adjuster placement is much better on the AGXs - located at the bottom of the damper as opposed to the top. On the miata, this means to adjust Illuminas, you'll need to remove the metal shield that blocks off the fuel filler from the trunk. Then again, if you talk to FM, they prefer the Illuminas with their springs (but sell them with AGXs, the bastards).

Basically, get whatever the hell you feel like, but you'll find anecdotal evidence that all dampers suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

"Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little."
College Slice

Phone posted:

You can go the Savington route and get Koni RACE shocks. :madmax:

Not if you'd like to keep the feeling in your cheeks for more than 10 minutes everytime you drive.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

laymil posted:

Basically, get whatever the hell you feel like, but you'll find anecdotal evidence that all dampers suck.

What other kind of evidence is there if you have no experience with them?

I'm just stating what I saw working on Miatas for about two years in a Miata specific shop. With my own two eyes, and the owner of the shop that refused to sell Tockico because of his experiences with them making GBS threads the bed years prior to me working there. For those on a budget we installed KYB AGX's and never had a problem with them. For those that could afford it, we recommended Konis. And I don't think I ever heard anything bad about Konis. I personally had AGX's on my two Miatas and never had issues. So there you go, more anecdotal evidence.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

laymil posted:

Then again, if you talk to FM, they prefer the Illuminas with their springs (but sell them with AGXs, the bastards).

http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?dept=12

Schwack posted:

Haha, Im sure they're great but they are probably overkill for someone like me. That and they would basically cost as much as my whole little package I've drawn up here.

Also, does anybody have any comments on the quality of the bushings I mentioned?

I've got Illuminas and FM sways waiting to go in my car right now. I came to the same "Illumina > KYB" conclusion that you did.

FM stopped selling KYB because they believe the damping profile of the Illumina is superior.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

butt terrarium posted:

Not if you'd like to keep the feeling in your cheeks for more than 10 minutes everytime you drive.

You're just saying that because you don't want your butt to get hurt. Not to mention that your name is butt terrarium.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Ziploc posted:

http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?dept=12

I've got Illuminas and FM sways waiting to go in my car right now. I came to the same "Illumina > KYB" conclusion that you did.

FM stopped selling KYB because they believe the damping profile of the Illumina is superior.

Well, when I bought my set, they packaged them with KYBs. I was pissed when I called to do the warranty replacement on them and they said "oh we like them with illuminas much better".

As for them believing the damping profile of the Illumina is superior, all their testing for their springs was done seat of the pants. They don't have shock dynos for them and didn't care about it when I asked. Their new setup seems to be quite a bit more researched (AFCO).

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

laymil posted:

Well, when I bought my set, they packaged them with KYBs. I was pissed when I called to do the warranty replacement on them and they said "oh we like them with illuminas much better".

As for them believing the damping profile of the Illumina is superior, all their testing for their springs was done seat of the pants. They don't have shock dynos for them and didn't care about it when I asked. Their new setup seems to be quite a bit more researched (AFCO).

FCM has a shock dyno and he told me the same thing. That he likes the damping of the Illuminas better than the KYB.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Schwack posted:

Also, does anybody have any comments on the quality of the bushings I mentioned?
The bushings are good quality, they have tighter clearances than the ES kit installed on my rx-7 a couple years back so I had to use a C-clamp to push most of them in. They really tightened up the whole car. I got the whole master kit with diff and swap bar mounts/bushings. I'm not doing the sway bar bushings since I'm going to get sway bars and adjustable end links this summer and my diff mounts are waiting till I do a torsen swap. Install was simple and only took me a day of actual work using the harbor freight u-joint press.
They're definitely worth getting considering their price and the next comparable bushing's price.

lionskull
Jul 12, 2006

My miata and I slid on some black ice in January. While the rest of the roads were clear, this patch was shadowed by trees and hadn't melted yet. The front end hit a telephone pole, pivoted the car and the back end hit the curb. Please have mercy - I know I should have been more careful, and I miss my car dearly.

Insurance totaled it, but I bought it back. We haven't put it up on jacks yet and taken the wheels off to get a really good look at it, but at minimum the front DS tire rod and a back DS control arm need replacing.

Now that it is finally getting warmer, it's time to really start moving on it. I have been feeling out the wreckage yards, but it seems absolutely no one has wrecked miatas in Ocean County, NJ - or the tri-state area, for that matter. Am I going to have to resign myself to the salvage areas & classifieds of flyingmiata.com, planetmiata.com and miataturbo.com and pay some pricey shipping? Can someone who has dealt with one of these sites tell me how bad or not bad the total cost ended up being? Does anyone have any suggestions other than the listed options?

edit: Car is a '93.

lionskull fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 1, 2008

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Ziploc posted:

FCM has a shock dyno and he told me the same thing. That he likes the damping of the Illuminas better than the KYB.

Interesting. Note that I'm not advocating either of the dampers; I'm just pointing out that FlyinMiata isn't always the best source of information.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Schwack posted:

Suspension bits

Thats everything I've come up with so far. Like I said, Im definitely open to change what I've got listed here, but I would like to try and have my decision nailed down by later this week so I can get started ordering this stuff!
Do you already have Fatcat Motorsports bumpstops? Those FM springs will drop your car about 1/1.5 inches right? The replacement bumpstops will help you retain your original suspension travel and they're fairly cheap.

edit:
Sweet jesus, someone actually bought the -27et Racer-x and is mounting them on their NA over at clubroadster.net :lol:

destructo fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 1, 2008

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

lionskull posted:

We haven't put it up on jacks yet and taken the wheels off to get a really good look at it, but at minimum the front DS tire rod and a back DS control arm need replacing

If you want, I've got both rear hubs/LCAs you can have for free. I think I have an spare (boot might be busted) outer tie rod end as well. You'll have to cut through the bolt that holds the hubs/LCAs together and get it out of there, but you're welcome to it. I'm in South Plainfield. If you need or want wheels, you can have a set of those too.

If that doesn't work for you, I've gotten my junkyard parts from bob@fixrim.com/fixrim@aol.com (same guy). He has the cheapest prices I've found by far.

lionskull
Jul 12, 2006

laymil posted:

Free parts, junkyard reference.

This sounds fantastic. I've sent you a PM.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

destructo posted:

Do you already have Fatcat Motorsports bumpstops? Those FM springs will drop your car about 1/1.5 inches right? The replacement bumpstops will help you retain your original suspension travel and they're fairly cheap.

edit:
Sweet jesus, someone actually bought the -27et Racer-x and is mounting them on their NA over at clubroadster.net :lol:

D'oh. I completely forgot to mention that I was also planning on ordering a set of the FCM bumpstops and shock mounts.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

destructo posted:

edit:

I saw that yesterday, it makes my brain hurt.

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

"Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little."
College Slice

Phone posted:

You're just saying that because you don't want your butt to get hurt. Not to mention that your name is butt terrarium.

I'm going to call you a Butthead when I call you on the phone

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

destructo posted:

edit:

Link!

EDIT: Hahah http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjlHH_JCJE

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 1, 2008

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Ziploc posted:

Link!

http://tinyurl.com/26v45f
I don't know why they must be such ricers.

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
re: FM vs. ES bushings

http://www.miataturbo.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18173

mind you - that is the owner of 949 racing commenting, but I'd say his point is probably true.

I've got illumina's on Racing Beat springs - and I'm starting to think that I'm dumb for having linear springs instead of variable on my daily driver. They can be real kidney punchers on some potholes. :) I did lots of comparison of KYB vs Tockiko on miata.net, and it really seemed half and half - with most everyone complaining about the HP's than the illuminas.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
How likely will a 1997 Miata need new bushings? When do you change them?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Ziploc posted:

How likely will a 1997 Miata need new bushings? When do you change them?

It's never "needed", doing them just makes the car handle better. With the age of NA cars i can pretty much guarantee they could almost all use new bushings unless it is extremely low mileage. The stock rubber bushings dry out, crack and loose their stiffness allowing them to flex more. Its up to each person whether poly bushings are worth it or not. They make the ride noticeably harsher but a set of factory bushings will run over $500 bucks.
If you don't mind the extra NVH do them when you can afford it/are doing other suspension stuff. I haven't gone to get an alignment yet since i put my bushings in since I'm replacing my tie rods this weekend and still need to tweak the ride height a bit more and didn't want to waste money getting multiple alignments.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

butt terrarium posted:

I put like a thousand miles on my car in the last 2 weeks. The ride quality is way, way better than you think it is.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
I've loved my 2000 Miata in Evo Orange for the two and a half years that I've owned it but it's time to move on. If anyone in the phoenix area is interested then call me at 623-670-2504.

aksuur
Nov 9, 2003
How much do you guys think sounds right for an 02 with 15.5K miles and a hardtop? Edmunds TMV lists about $13,500 from a dealer, but that seems low to me. Most regular miatas in my area are going for about 13.5-14K with similar mileage.

Dicker
Sep 1, 2006
Illumina vs AGX debate... They both suck, from my experience the AGX suck less and are cheaper. Konis are so much better that no one should buy anything else.\

ClubRoadster isnt all ricers (me)!

And my car is Finally back to 100% and ready for the track (except my tires are almost gone again :( )

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Dicker posted:

They both suck, from my experience the AGX suck less and are cheaper.

Please tell us about your experience with both shocks.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Savin 'dis from the archives to ask a random Miata question.

My NA has a ratty exhaust with leaks after the header. I don't know where they are exactly yet, but I've been told that I apparently need to replace quite a bit of it.

I plan on doing this on a bit of a budget. I'm not looking for power gains but if the price is right I won't say no to them either. I loved the stock sound. Not too loud, no rasp, sounded like a boat when burbling around and decently throaty when opening it up. Didn't draw any unwanted attention either. However now with the holes it just constantly sounds like a wet fart. And with the roof coming off since summer is fast approaching thats not going to fly.

So what are my options? Any recommendations?

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Ziploc posted:

I plan on doing this on a bit of a budget. I'm not looking for power gains but if the price is right I won't say no to them either. I loved the stock sound. Not too loud, no rasp, sounded like a boat when burbling around and decently throaty when opening it up. Didn't draw any unwanted attention either. However now with the holes it just constantly sounds like a wet fart. And with the roof coming off since summer is fast approaching thats not going to fly.

So what are my options? Any recommendations?

Find someone upgrading to a new exhaust and get their old one if it's in good condition. I've thrown out two stock exhausts, otherwise you could have my old one.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Apr 23, 2005
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
miatas make good snowplows

This picture was taken this morning w/ my phone. The pile of snow actually looked quite a bit larger in person... the entire front opening was full of snow. When I was driving some of the snow was actually coming up over the hood and hitting the windshield!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 8, 2008

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

FireTora posted:

They make the ride noticeably harsher but a set of factory bushings will run over $500 bucks.

If I put in new shocks when replacing the bushings, will I still feel the harshness? Ride is pretty harsh already due to blown stock shocks

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Amir posted:

If I put in new shocks when replacing the bushings, will I still feel the harshness? Ride is pretty harsh already due to blown stock shocks

The bushings made bumps more defined with my setup. I'm not sure how it would turn out in your case. Over all it would ride much better than now, I do not know how it would compare in harshness to what you currently have.

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

FireTora posted:

The bushings made bumps more defined with my setup. I'm not sure how it would turn out in your case. Over all it would ride much better than now, I do not know how it would compare in harshness to what you currently have.

You had relatively new working shocks prior to doing the bushings, right?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Amir posted:

You had relatively new working shocks prior to doing the bushings, right?

I put new Koni Sports with ground controls and FCM bump stops and mounts on in September. Those made a huge change over the stock suspension as well.

2D
May 24, 2001
Hay buddies! Can I play in this thread? I just bought my 2003 Special Edition!

It's my second car, but my main commuter. My Audi A4 Quattro is daily driven by my wife.

Here's a pic!

It's an 03 special edition with 26k miles. Everything is bone stock. I was thinking of a fashion rollbar, and at some point soon I'm going to shove my empeg player in there.

yay.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.

2D posted:

Great looking car, congratulations.

On the subject of rollbars, I'm thinking about getting one for my NC. What brand is best?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I don't think that Harddog has an NC rollbar (yet). You might be SOL for a little while.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I'm pretty sure Goodwin Racing makes a bar for the NC.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr

2D posted:

Hay buddies! Can I play in this thread? I just bought my 2003 Special Edition!

It's my second car, but my main commuter. My Audi A4 Quattro is daily driven by my wife.

Here's a pic!

It's an 03 special edition with 26k miles. Everything is bone stock. I was thinking of a fashion rollbar, and at some point soon I'm going to shove my empeg player in there.

yay.

Please don't get a style bar, they're nicknamed mousetraps for a reason. Otherwise great looking car, very shiny. Even though my miata is orange it's continuously covered in a thick layer of yellow pollen dust. I just washed it today and mere minutes after I finished it was completely disgusting again.

AkrisD fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 10, 2008

aksuur
Nov 9, 2003
Nice color 2D, I just picked this up (02 with 15.6K miles):

Edit: I need a better camera :(

aksuur fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 10, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2D
May 24, 2001
hell yes. whats the color code on that one? I really want a hardtop!!