Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aksuur
Nov 9, 2003
Not sure of the code, but it's called Midnight Blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
How much pressure do I need for 215/40 R16 (Toyo Proxes) ? 28 psi or more ?

duep fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 11, 2008

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

duep posted:

It's on the sidewall.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Amir posted:

It's on the sidewall.

Haha, I would love to see you do that.

duep posted:

Its says on the door jam for stock tires, but you can adjust to what you like the best. My car specifies 26psi for the stock 14"s but I'm running closers to 32 I think. Just don't exceed what is written on the sidewall. And don't go below what is listed in the door jam/manual.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Amir posted:

It's on the sidewall.

No, no! Don't do this! The tire pressure on the sidewall is the maximum tire pressure. You do not want to be anywhere near this.

Look inside the door jamb for suggested factory tire pressures (my stock 195/55 R15 suggests 28psi), but you have quite a bit of wiggle room on that. For daily driving, I prefer to bump my tire pressures up to around 32psi or so all around for a bit less rolling resistance.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Guinness posted:

No, no! Don't do this! The tire pressure on the sidewall is the maximum tire pressure. You do not want to be anywhere near this.

Look inside the door jamb for suggested factory tire pressures (my stock 195/55 R15 suggests 28psi), but you have quite a bit of wiggle room on that. For daily driving, I prefer to bump my tire pressures up to around 32psi or so all around for a bit less rolling resistance.

I always put my tire pressure ~5% below the maximum.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Another Miata-esque engine question:

Does the variable valve timing BP engine have different pistons from the older normal BP? I'm considering making my BPT engine'd GTX have VVT, but can't change pistons easily.

jromano
Sep 24, 2007
I'm considering a Miata, but I have two concerns. I'm 6'1" so size could be a problem. Some people who are 6'4" say they fit fine, while others who are 5'7 say it's too tight.

The other is money. I'd have 4-5k to work with. Is this enough to buy a decent Miata and get it in running condition? It will be driven less than 75 miles a week most likely, but I absolutely do not want a headache.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The size issue - you really just need to sit in one and find out.

Price - yes, by all means you should be able to find a very good example of a mid-'90s NA, or possibly a high-mileage '99-'00 NB in slightly rough (but functionally fine) condition.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

jromano posted:

I'm considering a Miata, but I have two concerns. I'm 6'1" so size could be a problem. Some people who are 6'4" say they fit fine, while others who are 5'7 say it's too tight.

The other is money. I'd have 4-5k to work with. Is this enough to buy a decent Miata and get it in running condition? It will be driven less than 75 miles a week most likely, but I absolutely do not want a headache.

Torso-Leg ratio is pretty important. You can cut the foam out of the seats to give yourself some precious inches. Called a foamectomy. My SIDS has a 5k Miata. It's a bit rough around the edges and has had the odd thing go wrong. (Rear main seal, slave cyl) If you get one with a better history it should be perfectly fine.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

jromano posted:

You can definitely fit, just depends on how comfortable you'll be. The only way to know is to sit in one. 4-5k will get you a pretty drat nice NA, so that's what I'd shoot for. Try to find one with under 100k miles on it, with documented service history for the timing belt/water pump change at 60k.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I'm looking to replace my Toyo Proxes 4, sort of an all season version of the T1Rs. I'm looking for a performance summer only. The only names I know to look at are Kuhmo Ecsta MX, Toyo Proxes T1R, and Falken Azenis rt-615.

I've checked Miata.net, but it seems to be more and more full of ricers wondering if they can fit 10 inch Watanabes without a widebody kit.

Its a 1996 M, 195/ 50r15. Will I have any benefit going to 205? Would you go 205/45 or 205/50? Exactly how scary are Azenis rt-615 in the wet?

Where should I be looking beside discounttire and tirerack

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 12, 2008

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Apr 23, 2005
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

goku chewbacca posted:

I'm looking to replace my Toyo Proxes 4, sort of an all season version of the T1Rs. I'm looking for a performance summer only. The only names I know to look at are Kuhmo Ecsta MX, Toyo Proxes T1R, and Falken Azenis rt-615.

I've checked Miata.net, but it seems to be more and more full of ricers wondering if they can fit 10 inch Watanabes without a widebody kit.

Its a 1996 M, 195/ 50r15. Will I have any benefit going to 205? Would you go 205/45 or 205/50? Exactly how scary are Azenis rt-615 in the wet?

Where should I be looking beside discounttire and tirerack

You want the 195/50/15 Bridgestone RE-01R. It is faster than the Azenis and much faster than the T1R and MX.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Azenis aren't scary in the rain, but be aware that they do wear out if you push them on a regular basis. You just need to be careful when they get hot because they also get greasy.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX posted:

You want the 195/50/15 Bridgestone RE-01R. It is faster than the Azenis and much faster than the T1R and MX.
They're also expensive, the Hankook RS2 is a great compromise, and is just slightly slower than the 615 yet more livable day to day.

HolyChase
Aug 25, 2004

"I'm an alcoholic, and I'm still better than you."
Hey folks, I have a question for those that have NBs. I have had a '90 5 speed and an '05 MSM. Loved the NA but wanted more power. Went for the MSM because of the screaming deals but absolutely hated the gearing. I don't know if the 6 speed was actually a part of this or if it was solely a function of the gearing. I didn't like the turbo lag and the shorter rev limit either. Anyways, I ended up leasing an S2000 and while I love it, I need to get more responsible financially (while having a fun daily driver) so I am looking to pick up an '01-'03 NB LS for as close to 10 grand as possible.

Is the gearing on the NB's very short or was this just for the MSMs? Do people prefer the 6 speeds over the 5 speeds as it is a higher priced option? With my complaints about the MSM, does it make sense that maybe I would prefer a 5 speed?

Since I am here asking questions, has anyone gone from a higher level sports car down to a Miata and found it bearable? I love Miatas, but fear I may have spoiled myself rotten doing the financial stretch into the S2000.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.
I drove up SR87 (Beeline Highway) to Payson today, then continued to my dad's house in the woods. I figured I'd take some pictures:

(Click for large)

An overlook:

Ain't no road too bad for this car:

(The road gets really rocky around the next bend, so you have to go reaaaal slow)

Fording the mighty, raging Verde River.

Water's flowing pretty low :(

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

HolyChase posted:

Is the gearing on the NB's very short or was this just for the MSMs? Do people prefer the 6 speeds over the 5 speeds as it is a higher priced option? With my complaints about the MSM, does it make sense that maybe I would prefer a 5 speed?
The 6-speeds have been known to be questionable in "feel", most people prefer the 5-speed, but if you're going to push more than 250whp you're likely to grenade the thing at some point (the 5). That said, the 6-speed gives about a .5 sec decrease on the 0-60 times, and essentially the same cruising RPM on the top end, so if you can get a nice-feeling 6-speed and don't worry much about rowing, I'd go for it.

GoblinBomb posted:

NC pics
Lookin' good, now get some red covers for those taillights :D.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The 6-speed has the same final ratio as the 5-speed (I think at the diff), so I have no idea why they even offer it.

Brake questions: I think I warped my rotors by having the lug nuts on too tight, but I needed new brakes anyways. I take it that NAPA rotors are the way to go, but I'm not sure on pads. I want something that is good all-around for the occasional autocross and street use (with a possible trip to Deal's Gap); I can get pads from Mazdaspeed, but it's a matter of which one.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004

destructo posted:

Lookin' good, now get some red covers for those taillights :D.

Where can I find these?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

GoblinBomb posted:

Where can I find these?
I wish I could say, it might just be a custom laminex job or something, but it looks amazing.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

HolyChase posted:

It's certainly possible. I prefer the 5-speed gears, and I have had both in my 220whp '94.

HolyChase posted:

Since I am here asking questions, has anyone gone from a higher level sports car down to a Miata and found it bearable? I love Miatas, but fear I may have spoiled myself rotten doing the financial stretch into the S2000.

Dono. I might drive an S2000 tomorrow (popping my S2000 cherry :dance: ) so I'll let you know.

destructo posted:

The 6-speeds have been known to be questionable in "feel", most people prefer the 5-speed, but if you're going to push more than 250whp you're likely to grenade the thing at some point (the 5). That said, the 6-speed gives about a .5 sec decrease on the 0-60 times, and essentially the same cruising RPM on the top end, so if you can get a nice-feeling 6-speed and don't worry much about rowing, I'd go for it.

1. blew my OEM 5-speed at my current power level
2. with as much power as I have I doubt it's worth anything in 0-60 times, 2nd gear is really stupidly short, like 53mph with a stock redline. I get like 56mph out of it with my 7400rpm rev limiter.
3. You're gonna be rowing, a lot. Honestly, if you aren't going to turbo the car, get a 5-speed.

Phone posted:

The 6-speed has the same final ratio as the 5-speed (I think at the diff), so I have no idea why they even offer it.

90-93: all 4.3
94-97: all 4.1
99+: all 5-speeds 4.3
non-MSM 6-speeds 3.9
MSM 6-speeds 4.1
Australian 6-speeds 3.636 :swoon:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

destructo posted:

I wish I could say, it might just be a custom laminex job or something, but it looks amazing.

Got any more pics of this? That is the best looking NC I've seen yet, the wheels are perfect for it, and it's amazing what eliminating the wheel gap will do for it too. Looks like he painted the roll bars to match the wheels, nice touch.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

leica posted:

Got any more pics of this? That is the best looking NC I've seen yet, the wheels are perfect for it, and it's amazing what eliminating the wheel gap will do for it too. Looks like he painted the roll bars to match the wheels, nice touch.
Evidently people are just using lamin-x vinyl, check this thread
http://clubroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5875&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=120

Here's a couple more nice ones

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The NC with the covered tail lights looks so great. That one cheap little alteration makes such a huge aesthetic difference.

I've really warmed up to the NC and I really wish I could afford one. I'm in love with my NA, and the NC just looks like a more aggressive, more modern NA. And it's considerably quicker. Ah, I wish I weren't a broke student.

Dicker
Sep 1, 2006
The covered taillights on the black NC look pretty good, its just red laminx laid over the stock light.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Funny how the NC looks awesome from any angle not showing the front. :v:

IMO, the headlights are a tad too high and that toilet lid hood.....Gah. But people are really making improvements and I'm starting to change my mind about them. I'd love to drive one.....Has anyone driven the NC that can compare it to an NA or NB? I'd love to hear a comparison.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Welp, I just ripped my softtop. I was zipping up the rear plastic window, and it tore a bit along the window. I can't really afford a new top right now, but I do have a hardtop. Is duct tape a safe bet to try to keep out water? I don't use it much outside of sunny days, and I do need a new top and probably a new rain rail.

notro man
Aug 23, 2006

leica posted:

Funny how the NC looks awesome from any angle not showing the front. :v:

IMO, the headlights are a tad too high and that toilet lid hood.....Gah. But people are really making improvements and I'm starting to change my mind about them. I'd love to drive one.....Has anyone driven the NC that can compare it to an NA or NB? I'd love to hear a comparison.

I've owned an NA for a few years, and I've had an NB for the last 3 years as well. I've only driven the NC on an autocross course several times and my first impressions of the stock car were that it had pretty good power and amazing brakes. I would dare to say the brakes were better than the few AP1 S2000's that I autocrossed in the past. The car held up in turns just fine despite the heavy body roll. So even though it may not look pretty around corners, it still moved pretty quick. I enjoyed it.

Phone posted:

Welp, I just ripped my softtop. I was zipping up the rear plastic window, and it tore a bit along the window. I can't really afford a new top right now, but I do have a hardtop. Is duct tape a safe bet to try to keep out water? I don't use it much outside of sunny days, and I do need a new top and probably a new rain rail.

My buddy had his plastic window separate from the soft top as well. He first used some clear duct tape and it held up just fine, didn't leak or anything. Later he found some adhesive at menards (he says he's seen it at auto parts stores as well). It came in a little red tube and it is clear. It dries nice and hard and clear. He used that and then put some camo duct tape (nobody can see camo, so it works better than clear) over it. Hasn't had any problems with leaks in the last year.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I've never purchase/replaced an exhaust before. What should I know when shopping around?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GoblinBomb posted:

I drove up SR87 (Beeline Highway) to Payson today

Ha. Yesterday I did a run up I17 / SR89A through Jerome and Sedona on the way to Flagstaff. I absolutely love that road, as long as there's no traffic - unfortunately on a weekend there is almost always traffic.

The one time I managed to hit the 12 miles of 89A North into Jerome with no traffic...we came across a biker who had obviously very recently taken a nasty spill, but was at least being tended to already with an ambulance approaching quickly from the town.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ha. Yesterday I did a run up I17 / SR89A through Jerome and Sedona on the way to Flagstaff. I absolutely love that road, as long as there's no traffic - unfortunately on a weekend there is almost always traffic.

I never have any reason to go up there, maybe I should just do it for fun one of these days I don't have work or class.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GoblinBomb posted:

I never have any reason to go up there, maybe I should just do it for fun one of these days I don't have work or class.

By all means do. At the absolute least, Jerome has a couple of decent restaurants, and if you have the time (since it's much slower than running up I-17 to 179) it's the most fun way to get to Sedona by far.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

Guinness posted:

The NC with the covered tail lights looks so great. That one cheap little alteration makes such a huge aesthetic difference.

Ironic that people will now alter their taillights away from the Altezza style. Personally, I agree and the taillights are probably my #1 gripe about the NC.

aksuur
Nov 9, 2003
How hard is it to do an oil change for a Miata (02 if it matters)? A relative was telling me the splash guard needs to be taken off (8 bolts), and I can see the oil filter is in a tough spot. Any comments?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

aksuur posted:

How hard is it to do an oil change for a Miata (02 if it matters)? A relative was telling me the splash guard needs to be taken off (8 bolts), and I can see the oil filter is in a tough spot. Any comments?

It's stupid easy.

Either crank the steering wheel all the way to the left, or just take off the passenger side front wheel (I recommend just taking it off, you're already jacking the car up anyway and it gives lots more room/leverage).

There's more than enough room to reach in through the wheel well. At least there is on my NA, I would assume the NB is nearly identical. I don't have particularly long or limber arms, and I can get the filter on/off with ease using this method.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Apr 23, 2005
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

aksuur posted:

It can be a pain in the rear end IMO. Draining the oil is simple enough, but the filter is a bitch. If you have access to a lift I would use that. It is pretty easy when you can stand under the car and just snake your arm up in there to grab it. If you dont have a lift you can do what the guy above me said... or you can do it from inside the engine bay. If you turn your hand so your palm is towards the engine (while standing on the passenger side) you can fit your hand (BARELY) between the intake manifold and body to reach the filter. The space is very tight and I recommend mechanics gloves so you dont burn the poo poo out of yourself, but its not undoable.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX posted:

or you can do it from inside the engine bay. If you turn your hand so your palm is towards the engine (while standing on the passenger side) you can fit your hand (BARELY) between the intake manifold and body to reach the filter. The space is very tight and I recommend mechanics gloves so you dont burn the poo poo out of yourself, but its not undoable.

This is the method I use on our '99 - for whatever reason no matter how I crank the wheels I can't seem to get at it through the fenderwell, but I can do that fine on my sister in law's '95.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Ziploc posted:

I've never purchase/replaced an exhaust before. What should I know when shopping around?
Nothing much really, I'd just look at the clubroadster exhaust sound database, or just start youtubing stuff. Just don't expect any significant gains unless you're FI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

destructo posted:

Nothing much really, I'd just look at the clubroadster exhaust sound database, or just start youtubing stuff. Just don't expect any significant gains unless you're FI.

I'm not looking for power gains.

I want the new piece to be as quiet as the stocker with a nice mellow tone. If all else fails I was happy with my stock piece and I might just get another. I hate tinny rasp.

Something like this. http://youtube.com/watch?v=WdeUcok_4gI&feature=related

Any recommendations?