Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I forgot to mention his flop cbets arent always the nuts. He certainly bets in this spot if he has a piece and the reason I called was b/c hes going to give up and stop 2 barreling everything except a queen, set, or turned 2 pair, including a flush draw or straight draw. Although its a close spot on the flop and maybe I should just fold anyway, probably have to do some math on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2542835

reads: seems like a normal decent tag at 2/4, can make some moves and knows i can too so i value c/r to mix it up

i figured whatever he is calling that c/r with (either an ace but probably a midpair type of hand) isnt calling a bet on the turn so my plan was to check turn (especially on this card that cant improve his hand) and bet river for value expecting him to look me up with random pairs.

edit: may as well throw another hand in there

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2542928

vs the same guy but this was really early and i had zero reads

nachos fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 30, 2008

ZeroStar
Dec 18, 2006
:[
Nachos:

I am not very qualified to comment on these hands but I'll give it a shot. Also I don't play HU much and I'm a little drunk.

Hand 1:
I think this is an easy call. Your hand is very under repped I think and it looks a little like air or something that will fold to a raise. I think everyone can agree he never has a two here, but can show up with a five. Since you think he can make moves and your hand is under repped + you're getting a little less than 2:1, I would call this raise.

Hand 2:
This is a tough spot. I think the two best decisions are to call and fold most rivers to a shove, or just fold the turn. His line is sooo weird because I don't think he would donk the turn like this with a draw and that is so much of his range. I think this spot is probably very dependent on your history so I'll leave it at that, but I don't think folding here can be terrible.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
interesting hands. i prefer calling the flop in hand 2 rather than raising. i don't see a ton of value in raising unless you think he's bet-calling 5s, 6s, 77, FDs etc. as played i guess you can call turn and decide on the river? if someone takes a donkish line like this early i usually just look them up so i'm leaning towards just calling down.

hand 1 is tough. he's not repping much besides the 5 though so i prob just call.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

EC10 posted:

interesting hands. i prefer calling the flop in hand 2 rather than raising. i don't see a ton of value in raising unless you think he's bet-calling 5s, 6s, 77, FDs etc. as played i guess you can call turn and decide on the river? if someone takes a donkish line like this early i usually just look them up so i'm leaning towards just calling down.

hand 1 is tough. he's not repping much besides the 5 though so i prob just call.

i already talked to nachos about these on irc, and agree about hand 1 with being forced to call because he's repping such a narrow range AND your hand looks weak as poo poo so he's more likely to blufraise.

for hand 2 I hate calling that turn because you face a pretty hard river decision when he shoves pretty much anything he bets the turn with. I tend to shove/fold in some ratio that depends on random stuff that i cant really articulate.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I called hand 1 for the same reasons everyone mentioned above, he's repping too small a range and my line is pretty full of poo poo.

Second hand I was sort of caught between all 3 opinions given. His line is kind of fishy and I do err on the side of not believing them at the start, which is probably why I'm stuck a buyin early a lot :). As for raising the flop, no villian (especially the tag/tagfish found at 2/4 on ftp) is bet/folding any piece of that flop. I think my raise of the donkbet tends to be interpreted as a reactionary raise where I am offended he led into me because nobody ever lead/folds a high % of the time, especially on a board this coordinated. The turn kinda sux because I do think he can be repping a 6, but at the same time my hand is not exactly garbage and I think its good a certain % of the time. I don't like calling though because there are a ton of rivers which will make my life miserable and already given the unknown status of this guy I have no idea of his bluffing frequency in this kind of a spot. So instead of playing a guessing game on the river where I'm likely either crushed calling or burning money on the turn and folding river, I can either fold now or jam.

Folding isn't a bad option at all and I think I prefer it just because I can take this line for value in the future (even though I'm doing it now, but he doesnt know that) and in all likelihood he is going to own himself donkbetting into me later since I highly doubt he will do it with a perfectly balanced range and I can pick him apart. Since there is merit to calling too, there is definitely merit to shoving since our hand does have some decent value with the top pair and the gutshot and in a way if we are going to take a very thin call/call line, we may as well just shove right now to protect our hand on such a dangerous (and potentially even more dangerous) board.

dsquash
Jul 6, 2000
http://www.pokerhand.org/?2547218

I'm so bad at playing 3bet pots. I've 3bet this guy when he raised the button a couple of times before and he just watched me get raised out of a 3bet pot on another table so he probably thinks I'm a lot weaker than AK here. I bet the flop to get some low pairs to fold but when I'm called there's nothing I can do.

I just really have no idea how to play AK missed out of position.

Psychosis
Jan 15, 2002

dsquash posted:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2547218

I'm so bad at playing 3bet pots. I've 3bet this guy when he raised the button a couple of times before and he just watched me get raised out of a 3bet pot on another table so he probably thinks I'm a lot weaker than AK here. I bet the flop to get some low pairs to fold but when I'm called there's nothing I can do.

I just really have no idea how to play AK missed out of position.

I think he calls your 3-bet and then the flop with a lot of random pocket pairs that would fold to a second barrel.

Jelly!
Feb 15, 2007

pAPYruS mEMBeR

Psychosis posted:

I think he calls your 3-bet and then the flop with a lot of random pocket pairs that would fold to a second barrel.

i dont think he would fold to another barrel by dsquash.

id put him on mid pair, and even so, what would be dsquash's range to 3bet pre, and cbet over 1/2 pot? that itself should say ako+/aqs/ maybe pp. surprised hot just flat instead of rr him.

its a terribly dry flop for dsquash, and he cant really represent hitting the board unless he had pp pre. my 2 pennies

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Xyven posted:

for hand 2 I hate calling that turn because you face a pretty hard river decision when he shoves pretty much anything he bets the turn with. I tend to shove/fold in some ratio that depends on random stuff that i cant really articulate.

nachos posted:

I don't like calling though because there are a ton of rivers which will make my life miserable and already given the unknown status of this guy I have no idea of his bluffing frequency in this kind of a spot. So instead of playing a guessing game on the river where I'm likely either crushed calling or burning money on the turn and folding river, I can either fold now or jam.

Folding isn't a bad option at all and I think I prefer it just because I can take this line for value in the future (even though I'm doing it now, but he doesnt know that) and in all likelihood he is going to own himself donkbetting into me later since I highly doubt he will do it with a perfectly balanced range and I can pick him apart. Since there is merit to calling too, there is definitely merit to shoving since our hand does have some decent value with the top pair and the gutshot and in a way if we are going to take a very thin call/call line, we may as well just shove right now to protect our hand on such a dangerous (and potentially even more dangerous) board.

I'm glad you guys make these points because I see the same point made in a shitload of 2+2 threads and I never want to respond because I feel like my counter argument is almost too valuable to share with them, but I'd like to share it with goons :) The following may not be the best line for this particular hand nachos posted but it's a very important lesson overall.

Basically the main reason you guys favor pushing turning over calling is because a) it makes our life easier and b) it protects against draws. I want to convince you that these are not good reasons, and certainly not strong enough arguments to justify passing up a lot of EV you gain by taking the following line: call the turn now, and then call ANY river.

There is a TON of money to be gained by just letting the villain continue with any bluffs he had and letting him shove river. I've played a shitload of HU hands and I've seen it a million times: let people hang themselves and they will do it. People will bluff shove the river if you let them despite the fact that they have no FE and they will be giving you sick odds to call. The fact that they can't win the pot without shoving will outweigh any real logic when dealing with most opponents too much of the time to shut them out of this option by shoving the turn. I'm not just talking about terrible opponents, I've seen the same thing done (although obviously less frequently) by some of the toughest players online while sweating the HS HU games.

Yes, sometimes you are giving them "free cards" to their draws but it's not really a free card when they are already betting the turn--it's just them setting the (still too high) price of their draw instead of you. I'm way too lazy to do the math for this , but I know I'm right here. They aren't getting good enough odds to draw to their fd/straight draw/overs/2 outers/3 outers/etc if you just call now and call river 100% of the time they hit, and this isn't even accounting for all the money they lose the % of the time they bluff the river when they miss.

Another very good reason to flat your big hands to a flop CR/turn bet rather than shoving them is to balance your flatting range so that you can do it with weaker hands as well. This gets more and more important the more aggressive your opponent is.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

EC10 makes good points and I'll concede that I badly misplayed the hand and made up some logic for shoving after the fact that might make it defendable. Let's put it this way, at the time of the hand I didn't think my 9 had any shove value because if I shoved better hands would call. I had a gutshot and in my head I was thinking gently caress I don't know what to do so I essentially hoped he was bluffing and semibluffed with the gutshot trying to get a fold. My 9 DOES have value however if he is bluffing, and instead of call/calling I just sorta ignored that because I didn't want to have a tough decision and shoved with the draw.

To make this a bit easier to illustrate, assume I had A9 instead. I would call/call almost all the time and rarely (if ever) shove that turn because my hand has far too much value as a bluff catcher to shove and let the opponent play perfect on the turn. This is assuming the reads I had at the time, which were none. 98 is basically the same thing b/c I highly doubt he plays a 9 this strong, so what happened was that I wasn't thinking clearly and the gutshot sorta diverted my mind away from the value of the hand and more into the semibluff opportunity with the hand. A good example of the habit we all probably get into where we just focus on winning the pot the easiest way possible instead of maximizing value.

souLjah
May 28, 2003
Official bank of PITR
http://www.pokerhand.org/?2551474

Standard call here? I am not sure what hands I am ahead of here that would do this except a weak Q. No reads, never played with villain before.

schlaufux
Apr 28, 2007
just no stupid newbie k?

souLjah posted:

Standard call here? I am not sure what hands I am ahead of here that would do this except a weak Q. No reads, never played with villain before.

He can't have a 3 here (except 33 but gently caress that) but I think a weak Q would more likely call you down. I still believe you should look him up to see what he calls two streets/shoves river with assuming he's a reg. I could see him doing that with random mid pocket pairs if he's seen you three-barreling a lot or Q/mid kicker.
since it's you, sucks to get owned by QT

niknik
Mar 12, 2007

this ain't sea world

souLjah posted:

Sup souljah, I played a hand similar to this apart from the flop action (http://www.pokerhand.org/?2508501) and nachos pretty much nailed it so I will just quote him because I think the same applies here.

nachos posted:

1) I think this is a fold when he times down and shoves, he has to be better than I will ever give him credit for in order to bluff shove this river. He will call with his showdown worthy hands (pairs) and raise with the nuts like 77 or TT, maybe even thinking about value shoving KT? There is nothing that he can conceivably be shoving for value that you are beating and I don't think he is bluffing at all given his stats and what you are repping. Basically you have such a polarized range that anything he has that beats a bluff will call, there is no marginal hand that you can have that beats his marginal hand which would make him want to turn his hand into a bluff

souLjah
May 28, 2003
Official bank of PITR

schlaufux posted:

He can't have a 3 here (except 33 but gently caress that) but I think a weak Q would more likely call you down. I still believe you should look him up to see what he calls two streets/shoves river with assuming he's a reg. I could see him doing that with random mid pocket pairs if he's seen you three-barreling a lot or Q/mid kicker.
since it's you, sucks to get owned by QT

Since he has never seen me and I have never seen him, we are both unknowns to each other and I think that I gotta be behind with whatever he is shoving with unless he is a donk majority of the time. I can't really see a Q shoving like that instead of calling me like he did the whole way.

niknik posted:

Sup souljah, I played a hand similar to this apart from the flop action (http://www.pokerhand.org/?2508501) and nachos pretty much nailed it so I will just quote him because I think the same applies here.

Thanks man for the info.

I think that its a fold most of the time. I did call and he showed KQo yay! but I think its a fold with the way it was played against an unknown.

souLjah fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 2, 2008

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

The main difference here is obviously the levels, where NL200 players are not gonna play KQ like that because they are nits usually and afraid to stack off like that because it goes against so many 2p2 cardinal rules like turning your hand into a bluff. NL50 players are not thinking like that and usually consider KQ here to be the nuts and will do weird things with it. I still would not expect Q9/QJ to randomly shove like that so KQ is like the absolute bottom of his range there and pretty much the only hand you beat. It's still a fold given his range but I think the other guy made a decent point in that if he is a reg and you haven't been caught in a spot like this before, you are given such good odds it might be worth the calldown purely for info.

dsquash
Jul 6, 2000

JellyS posted:

i dont think he would fold to another barrel by dsquash.

id put him on mid pair, and even so, what would be dsquash's range to 3bet pre, and cbet over 1/2 pot? that itself should say ako+/aqs/ maybe pp. surprised hot just flat instead of rr him.

its a terribly dry flop for dsquash, and he cant really represent hitting the board unless he had pp pre. my 2 pennies

Was making a cbet on that board a mistake? I kinda made up my mind before the flop that I would make one more bet even if I miss and then give up if called and unimproved.

Here's another 3bet pot with me doing the calling this time:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2553084

I had a read on the guy - he would make a standard cbet every time then check the turn and river if he was weak. With that in mind should I bet the turn?

As you can see one of my problems is playing scared in these types of situations.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
i think both of those hands are fine dsquash

ZeroStar
Dec 18, 2006
I have A9hh in this hand.

https://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcDMzMTFxcDBw8TExMbEwojHwcHBxMA%3d

This Craigerson guy is a multitabler guy who is a TAG but of the tighter variety. I don't normally open A9s from UTG but I think the table was playing tight and I wanted to mix it up.

Is this line alright? I just felt that I obviously can't call another bet and I doubt I can get to showdown OOP so I stabbed at the pot.

post-feminist rimjob
Jan 15, 2005

There's no money in poetry, but then there's no poetry in money, either

ZeroStar posted:

I have A9hh in this hand.

https://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcDMzMTFxcDBw8TExMbEwojHwcHBxMA%3d

This Craigerson guy is a multitabler guy who is a TAG but of the tighter variety. I don't normally open A9s from UTG but I think the table was playing tight and I wanted to mix it up.

Is this line alright? I just felt that I obviously can't call another bet and I doubt I can get to showdown OOP so I stabbed at the pot.

I don't think check/calling the flop is the worst thing in the world since there are a ton of pair+draw type hands that are itching to get it in a flop like this, but the turn bet is just bizarre because the 7 completes so much of his range, not to mention that a smart player is going to realize that you're cbetting (or CRaising) with any jack on the flop so he can profitably shove over your really suspicious turn lead with any two when he has the betting lead.

ZeroStar
Dec 18, 2006
I see what you're saying but I don't really think any villain at these stakes is going to bluff raise me on the turn. If they do, it wouldn't be a shove also I think.

I am thinking on basic levels in this hand because I think that's what is appropriate. I probably do cbet a jack on the flop but I don't know if many players will take this into consideration. The turn is such a bad card for all made hands that were protecting themselves on the flop so I think villain will fold a really high percentage of the time without a straight. I think my turn donk is the perfect line for a jack, but my flop play is questionable. I am basically banking on villain putting more weight into the turn action and not really thinking about whether I would bet or check a jack on the flop.

Now that I've explained better what do you guys think? I'm still unsure, and also looking back now I think folding flop is pretty good because my hand could be beat and the boards so drawy. And it is a CCer betting into two people.

souLjah
May 28, 2003
Official bank of PITR

nachos posted:

The main difference here is obviously the levels, where NL200 players are not gonna play KQ like that because they are nits usually and afraid to stack off like that because it goes against so many 2p2 cardinal rules like turning your hand into a bluff. NL50 players are not thinking like that and usually consider KQ here to be the nuts and will do weird things with it. I still would not expect Q9/QJ to randomly shove like that so KQ is like the absolute bottom of his range there and pretty much the only hand you beat. It's still a fold given his range but I think the other guy made a decent point in that if he is a reg and you haven't been caught in a spot like this before, you are given such good odds it might be worth the calldown purely for info.

Thanks nachos

niknik
Mar 12, 2007

this ain't sea world

ZeroStar posted:

I see what you're saying but I don't really think any villain at these stakes is going to bluff raise me on the turn. If they do, it wouldn't be a shove also I think.
This is why if I wanted to fire a scare card on the turn I would just cbet flop to begin with - i think most players are much more likely to think "omg look at all the stuff that beats me" rather than "scary board i can bluff him off" so you will get a lot more folds with a double barrel. Too bad he has the nizzles on the turn in this instance though.

Also when the button bets the flop he could have anything if he thinks it's unlikely you are checking the flop with a monster OOP on this board as the PFR.

I'm not even sure if that makes sense/is correct. Sometimes I just like to randomly click buttons and see what happens. Time to kill some more braincells.

Edit: Also I think check calling the flop & check/folding that turn is fine as well.

niknik fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 3, 2008

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

not betting that flop in zerostar's hand is retarded

ZeroStar
Dec 18, 2006
Wow so there are lots of different opinions on this hand. Niknik and xyven both of your posts helped me think about the hand better. Although xyven I wish you would elaborate more rather than just effectively calling me retarded.

At the time I didn't bet the flop for value/protection because I was basically afraid having two people left to act. I guess I should bet almost the pot to charge draws because I am probably ahead (which is why I c/c'ed in the first place). When the turn comes a 7 or Q though I am probably shutting down most of the time.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

ZeroStar posted:

Wow so there are lots of different opinions on this hand. Niknik and xyven both of your posts helped me think about the hand better. Although xyven I wish you would elaborate more rather than just effectively calling me retarded.

At the time I didn't bet the flop for value/protection because I was basically afraid having two people left to act. I guess I should bet almost the pot to charge draws because I am probably ahead (which is why I c/c'ed in the first place). When the turn comes a 7 or Q though I am probably shutting down most of the time.

you have to bet the flop because you have a good hand that is likely best at the time on a very drawy board, so you are getting value AND protecting your hand. another reason is because checking that flop makes the hand significantly harder to play by placing all the decisions on you. You should be forcing your opponents to make decisions so they can gently caress up, not giftwrapping the hand for them and putting them in charge.

Also you should be cbetting at a ridiculously high frequency at nl100 because your opponents will be simply playing their hands and folding the vast majority of the time. They only catch a piece like 1/3 of the time so even if you cbet full pot you are making a solid profit off their folds. Of course if you're going to be cbetting constantly you need to bet your real hands too because even the biggest droolers will quickly figure out that you check when you hit and bet when you miss.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

i have a hand from last night that put me in a weird spot on the turn.

2/4nl 6max game and the button is some random TAG reg who has been boringly standard with his play, probably mixing it up a bit but pretty much ABC. He opens to 14 and I 3bet AQo to 50 in the big blind. He calls and the flop is Q5:d:4:d:. I bet 66 into a 100 pot. I vary my bet sizes a lot in these spots and i made a smallish cbet here because ive been taking down a lot of 3bet pots with my cbets lately and i think i might induce him into a tilt shove with some random mid pair or whatever. However he just calls and the turn is a 2:d:. Pot is now 230 with 250 effective stacks. I doubt he ever has a flush here so the only hands im at all worried about are 44 and 55 which are also pretty unlikely because he'd be raising them as well as the flush draw. My question is how do I get value from this guy on the turn? Do i shove hoping he puts me on a bluff with an ace for the gutshot? Checking turn and shoving river would be a great line here if it weren't for the 3 flush, because another diamond hits on the river and i cant bet for value and open myself to getting bluffed off when i check to him.

post-feminist rimjob
Jan 15, 2005

There's no money in poetry, but then there's no poetry in money, either

ZeroStar posted:

Now that I've explained better what do you guys think? I'm still unsure, and also looking back now I think folding flop is pretty good because my hand could be beat and the boards so drawy. And it is a CCer betting into two people.

Yeah, there's no question that cbetting here is best 90% of the time, but every once in a while a check/call isn't horrible to mix up your play (although against a lot of opponents, it's completely unnecessary, like Xyven says), especially if the villain can check/raise the flop light. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

The problem with not cbetting and then leading turn is that you're never, ever able to represent the jack credibly, and even if he's not going to be bluffraising your leads, you're still in a spot where you're forced to bet basically for blocking if you don't want to face a huge bet when you "give up" and check to him.

post-feminist rimjob fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 3, 2008

ZeroStar
Dec 18, 2006
Ok, thanks for all the responses guys. I should have noticed on the flop it was a great time to cbet but I kinda just went into "scary board my hand isn't that good and I want to get to showdown" mode.

Xyven:

First of all in this hand we have to put villain on a range which is kind of hard to do here. What types of hands are you trying to get value from on the turn that he can actually show up with? Does he have stuff like KQo, QJ-QTs in his range? Because if he mucks those preflop like a lot of straightforward players, I think most stuff you are ahead of on the flop is mid pocket pairs that are just floating one street and will not call a push or mid sized bet.

So I don't really know where to go from here I guess a shove is fine if you think he will hero call sometimes. Since the stack to pot ratio is about 1 we can't really bet small to induce a semi-bluff shove, so does that make our only options check and shove?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

xyven: hes floating you with a lot of crap but its either flush draws or made hand type of stuff like 88-99. I wouldnt discount a flush just because sometimes people deviate and dont always get it in with flush draws for whatever reason. But anyway you likely aren't getting value from much if hes straightforward. Unfortunately its one of those hands where he will fold his 88-99 on that board when you continue betting on the scare card. Checking turn and shoving river is an ok line but its so thin vs this guy and I don't expect him to change his calling range much just because you checked one street. I'd probably just snapjam the turn and hope to make it look desperate or something.

I really would never expect him to be bluffing you with a high frequency because 2/4 tags just don't get that out of line in reraised pots on the turn and river (they do on the flop), so I would rarely expect a pure float and bluff and thus I would not be afraid of being bluffed out on the river. He is almost guaranteed to have a marginal made hand here and will happily check it down.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
yeah id either shove or bet 66 again (give him the jman rootbeer or whatever its called. basically betting small so you can give him room to shove or float his 88/99 again) in that hand, xyven.

hand of my own from 5/10 6max on stars, mostly just a checkup. anyone do anything differently? call or fold riv?

no reads. he bet $250 into $637 on the river so i'm getting almost 4:1. no clue WTF he has though since he raised utg, checked it 4 ways on the flop and then raises my turn bet with the other 2 people still to act.

PokerStars Game #17154093769: Hold'em No Limit ($5/$10) - 2008/05/02 - 17:13:43 (ET)
Table 'Tauntonia' 6-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: hotmark777 ($1040 in chips)
Seat 2: EC10 ($2042 in chips)
Seat 3: JazzyFace ($1000 in chips)
Seat 4: SeonKi ($905 in chips)
Seat 5: Abbadabba5 ($510 in chips)
Seat 6: 20 Buck Spin ($1653 in chips)
hotmark777: posts small blind $5
EC10: posts big blind $10
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to EC10 [8s Ts]
JazzyFace: folds
SeonKi: raises $25 to $35
Abbadabba5: calls $35
20 Buck Spin: folds
hotmark777: calls $30
EC10: calls $25
*** FLOP *** [Th 5s 7c]
hotmark777: checks
EC10: checks
SeonKi: checks
Abbadabba5: checks
*** TURN *** [Th 5s 7c] [9c]
EC10: bets $110
SeonKi: raises $140 to $250
Abbadabba5: folds
hotmark777: folds
EC10: calls $140
*** RIVER *** [Th 5s 7c 9c] [Qs] Pot: $637
SeonKi: bets $250

Psyduck
Oct 27, 2004
I WON $1,424,500 AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS SHITTY CUSTOM TITLE

ZeroStar posted:

I think check folding is best against 2 opponents on the flop. If you lead the turn you must lead the river also because there are a ton of pairs + flush draws or sets or two pair type hands that will call the turn but fold on a blank river. I don't chk/calling flop is HORRIBLE but opponent has to have specific turn/river tendencies that you can take advantage of because any spade/Q/7/6/J and to a lesser extent K/T are bad turns (effectively half the deck on the turn, so a bad card will come out 75% of the time by the river), so the later streets are incredibly hard to play OOP. The other obvious thing is that you're not closing the action on the flop.

Basically if you're ahead you're like 60/40 and if you're behind you're way behind, opponent can bluff you out with tons of scare cards, and can v-bet you effectively with Tx if it does blank off. I also think betting the flop is bad because you're gonna get called so so so often, and you have to double/triple barrel with some good frequency on specific turn/river combinations for your flop c-bet to be +EV on this specific texture into 2 2-card hands (2 opponents).

Psyduck
Oct 27, 2004
I WON $1,424,500 AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS SHITTY CUSTOM TITLE

Xyven posted:

i have a hand from last night that put me in a weird spot on the turn.

2/4nl 6max game and the button is some random TAG reg who has been boringly standard with his play, probably mixing it up a bit but pretty much ABC. He opens to 14 and I 3bet AQo to 50 in the big blind. He calls and the flop is Q5:d:4:d:. I bet 66 into a 100 pot. I vary my bet sizes a lot in these spots and i made a smallish cbet here because ive been taking down a lot of 3bet pots with my cbets lately and i think i might induce him into a tilt shove with some random mid pair or whatever. However he just calls and the turn is a 2:d:. Pot is now 230 with 250 effective stacks. I doubt he ever has a flush here so the only hands im at all worried about are 44 and 55 which are also pretty unlikely because he'd be raising them as well as the flush draw. My question is how do I get value from this guy on the turn? Do i shove hoping he puts me on a bluff with an ace for the gutshot? Checking turn and shoving river would be a great line here if it weren't for the 3 flush, because another diamond hits on the river and i cant bet for value and open myself to getting bluffed off when i check to him.

I think you should just insta-shove this because many of his one pair hands have a diamond combination that will look you up (half of 88 combinations have a diamond for example). He can also have lots of worse Qx and the 2 isn't a bad card because many of his 4x and 5x also pick up a gutshot or some sort of OESD now. In addition, you'll be betting the turn here with lots of semi-bluffs yourself so if you have history from before he is really hard-pressed to fold any hand with any good equity in this spot. The one bad thing is that this takes away his ability to barrel if he was floating but I dunno how often people float this flop with basically 1 psb behind with real air, so it looks like he hit it somewhat hard enough that your PSB turn bet will get called by worse enough of the time.

The other obvious thing is that if it does go chk chk then a diamond or a 3 will hit 25% of the time and if he has an underpair to the Q (like say 99) lots of overs will hit too meaning it's less likely you'll get called. However, if you're been 3-betting and c-betting and folding a lot to 4th/5th street pressure this might be the best line but overall I think shoving is just best.

edit: I also like betting something ridiculous that he can shove over and this maximizes EV when he's floating. The one thing about the 1/4psb is that he WILL peel with hands that have 20-30% equity correctly and if the bad 25% of the deck peels on the river you are in a quandry as to what to do. I prefer the jman-rootbeer if you have Ad and not offsuit AQ.

Psyduck fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 4, 2008

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Psyduck posted:

I prefer the jman-rootbeer if you have Ad and not offsuit AQ.

Just to be clear, is the jman-rootbeer the 1/4pot weakish turn lead to induce float-shoves?

Edit: Never mind, read EC's earlier post which cleared that all up.

kalensc fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 4, 2008

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

EC10 posted:

hand of my own from 5/10 6max on stars, mostly just a checkup. anyone do anything differently? call or fold riv?

this is gay and i doubt we are good but 4:1 and information/curiosity is enough. This sort of line is a pretty crucial one to get a read on and just gives you so much info about his whole game. Either he is a bad slowplayer with a set/2pair, an idiot in general, or has J9 and you just wasted $250 :)

M E A T Y
May 2, 2005

so secure

EC10 posted:

yeah id either shove or bet 66 again (give him the jman rootbeer or whatever its called. basically betting small so you can give him room to shove or float his 88/99 again) in that hand, xyven.

no reads. he bet $250 into $637 on the river so i'm getting almost 4:1. no clue WTF he has though since he raised utg, checked it 4 ways on the flop and then raises my turn bet with the other 2 people still to act.

PokerStars Game #17154093769: Hold'em No Limit ($5/$10) - 2008/05/02 - 17:13:43 (ET)
Table 'Tauntonia' 6-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: hotmark777 ($1040 in chips)
Seat 2: EC10 ($2042 in chips)
Seat 3: JazzyFace ($1000 in chips)
Seat 4: SeonKi ($905 in chips)
Seat 5: Abbadabba5 ($510 in chips)
Seat 6: 20 Buck Spin ($1653 in chips)
hotmark777: posts small blind $5
EC10: posts big blind $10
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to EC10 [8s Ts]
JazzyFace: folds
SeonKi: raises $25 to $35
Abbadabba5: calls $35
20 Buck Spin: folds
hotmark777: calls $30
EC10: calls $25
*** FLOP *** [Th 5s 7c]
SeonKi: checks
Abbadabba5: checks
*** TURN *** [Th 5s 7c] [9c]
EC10: bets $110
SeonKi: raises $140 to $250
Abbadabba5: folds
hotmark777: folds
EC10: calls $140
*** RIVER *** [Th 5s 7c 9c] [Qs] Pot: $637
SeonKi: bets $250

our line prior to the river should look really strong to the villain, whiffed c/r on the flop, b/c turn. when we check the river, it makes our hand look a little weaker, but villain has to expect well be calling almost all of the time so he isnt bluffing often at all. i think were behind most of the time but i think we still have to pay off his dink little vbet just for the odds

Tuningfork
Apr 12, 2007
My cool? What about my cool?

Oh wait, I guess YOU'RE an illiterate chimp.
FullTiltPoker Game #6279292346: Table Rook (6 max) - $0.10/$0.25 - No Limit Hold'em - 0:13:49 ET - 2008/05/04
Seat 1: ladodger41 ($17.75)
Seat 2: Heeaater ($25)
Seat 3: bubbashishi ($48.25)
Seat 4: PiranhaOnDuty ($18.10), is sitting out
Seat 5: cmore13 ($45)
Seat 6: jack10wins ($24.65)
bubbashishi posts the small blind of $0.10
cmore13 posts the big blind of $0.25
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to cmore13 [Kh As]
jack10wins folds
ladodger41 folds
PiranhaOnDuty has returned
Heeaater raises to $0.85
bubbashishi calls $0.75
cmore13 raises to $3.40
Heeaater calls $2.55
bubbashishi calls $2.55
*** FLOP *** [2h Th Ac]
bubbashishi bets $9.50
cmore13 calls $9.50
Heeaater adds $3.40
Heeaater folds
*** TURN *** [2h Th Ac] [9s]
bubbashishi bets $27

wat to dew?? keep in mind we're both 200bb deep and I reraised preflop.

niknik
Mar 12, 2007

this ain't sea world
i would call and call again on river
or just shove valuetown

edit: on 2nd thoughts just call cozof deepbness

niknik fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 4, 2008

schlaufux
Apr 28, 2007
just no stupid newbie k?

Your cool posted:

FullTiltPoker Game #6279292346: Table Rook (6 max) - $0.10/$0.25 - No Limit Hold'em - 0:13:49 ET - 2008/05/04
Seat 1: ladodger41 ($17.75)
Seat 2: Heeaater ($25)
Seat 3: bubbashishi ($48.25)
Seat 4: PiranhaOnDuty ($18.10), is sitting out
Seat 5: cmore13 ($45)
Seat 6: jack10wins ($24.65)
bubbashishi posts the small blind of $0.10
cmore13 posts the big blind of $0.25
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to cmore13 [Kh As]
jack10wins folds
ladodger41 folds
PiranhaOnDuty has returned
Heeaater raises to $0.85
bubbashishi calls $0.75
cmore13 raises to $3.40
Heeaater calls $2.55
bubbashishi calls $2.55
*** FLOP *** [2h Th Ac]
bubbashishi bets $9.50
cmore13 calls $9.50
Heeaater adds $3.40
Heeaater folds
*** TURN *** [2h Th Ac] [9s]
bubbashishi bets $27

wat to dew?? keep in mind we're both 200bb deep and I reraised preflop.

The dreaded limp-call/donkbet line... I don't really know what to do here but I'll say that this kind of huge donkbet is pretty much never a bluff in my experience and he doesn't think you'll fold. So either he's a drooler who thinks AJ is the nizzles and just mashes at the pot button or you're dead to his set/2pair. Since your hand is pretty much face up I don't think you can continue profitably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h4x02
Aug 18, 2004
Pride and Hatred go hand in hand!

EC10 posted:

I'm glad you guys make these points because I see the same point made in a shitload of 2+2 threads and I never want to respond because I feel like my counter argument is almost too valuable to share with them, but I'd like to share it with goons :)

Thank you for this, very solid argument.

• Locked thread