Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Just got the ikea furniture on craiglist. Homebuilt speakers. Not the prettiest but its budget. Wall o' records/tapes/cds on the right. There's a rotating flap to the computer case so it basically vanishes when closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

steckles posted:

No TV, so I guess it's really just an A/ setup. The 360 is essentially ornamental.

Speakers: Paradigm Monitors 7s.
Amp: Rotel RA-1062.
Turntable: Thorens TD-190.

The home made bass traps work quite well. CDs and MP3s are provided by the computer. I'm pretty happy with it.

Nice setup. It's screaming for a projector or a 40-46" LCD though. Tell me about your creepy Nazi SS hat.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

DoktorLoken posted:

Tell me about your creepy Nazi SS hat.
Although I bought it for historical interest, it serves nicely to distract attention away from the very real, very sharp katana immediately above it.

king of crimson
Jul 23, 2001

by The Finn

Here's what I have right now. Next step is finding some good surround sound without spending a fortune. TV is an Insignia 42" 1080p LCD.

king of crimson
Jul 23, 2001

by The Finn

wasp_f15ing posted:

Bah.. I upgraded to another 24" with 1:1 pixel mapping for my 360, I need to get rid of that 19" at the end, its just so nice to have itunes on it though :p

Sorry to quote such an old post, but how did you set up your desktops like that? I am trying to set up my monitors in a similar way, with the smaller one being vertical. I can't seem to split that using the nvidia control panel and I am looking for software that can do this. Anyone know how to do this?

wasp_f15ing
Feb 27, 2004

For once you must try not to shirk the facts: mankind is kept alive by bestial acts

Choda Dog posted:

Sorry to quote such an old post, but how did you set up your desktops like that? I am trying to set up my monitors in a similar way, with the smaller one being vertical. I can't seem to split that using the nvidia control panel and I am looking for software that can do this. Anyone know how to do this?

I am running DisplayFusion

http://www.binaryfortress.com/displayfusion/

Hope this helps.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
Temporarily residing in my loungeroom while the folks are away. Modest setup, and I'm planning on upgrades in the near future, but this serves the purpose for me at the moment.

Consists of:

Cambridge Audio 540A, 640C, 540P
B&W 685's
Technics SQ-L2 with a Rega Bias 2
And just some Cambridge and Chord Company interconnects :v:

Normally situated in my room;

But I really need speaker stands, because having them on the desk just isn't doing them any justice.

In any case - upgrades, like I said earlier - I've got my eye on a Rega P3 24, but will look around a bit more when I've got the money.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Finished the basement, made it into an AV area. Built a custom cabinet on the side to hold the electronics, ran conduit through the walls to cut cable clutter, built a cabinet framed around the TV, built a CD/DVD rack that holds ~1200 CDs and 600 DVDs.

Electronics are Linn Unidisc SC (DVD, CD, SACD, surround pre-amp), Linn Chakra power amps (4 channels x 2, centre and front are active giving separate amps to bass and treble in the speakers), Dynalabs Magnum radio, Nakamichi DR3 cassette deck and a PVR. TV is 52" Toshiba. Front and centre speakers are Linn Ninka, Paradigm sub-woofer and ceiling speakers. Expensive setup for sure but the sound is superb.

I'll be moving soon so get to do it all again. Will be investing in a ceiling projector to replace the Toshiba TV and for the rest of the house a Sonos system is planned for music in various rooms.

Decairn fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 13, 2008

Hockeyman
Dec 19, 2003

I'm sorry, I wasn't listening.

Decairn posted:

Finished the basement, made it into an AV area. Built a custom cabinet on the side to hold the electronics, ran conduit through the walls to cut cable clutter, built a cabinet framed around the TV, built a CD/DVD rack that holds ~1200 CDs and 600 DVDs.

I really like the DVD and CD shelf, but that center is really nice. Makes me wish I had the time, energy, and tools to do it properly. I think if I tried it would just look like rear end and the minute I put the tv on it the thing would collapse.

youwantsomewang
Sep 2, 2004

Decairn posted:

Sweet Jesus, I love your PRS.

ChuckHead
Jun 24, 2004

2000 years Assholes.
Not so much A but I'm happy with my V setup. I wanted to mount on the wall but my wife likes to move the furniture around too often for that. Luckily at work we have a vendor that carries professional A/V stuff. The first time I saw this stand, I had to have it.

code:
Refurbished 47" Philips            47PFL5432/37   $1200
Refurbished Philips Blueray player BDP9000/37      $300
Omnimount Stand w/universal Mount  FSUA            $380
Some crappy dish sat receiver/DVR (I'm changing that now)
E: Hosting issues, wow that photo looks crappy.

ChuckHead fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 25, 2008

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

Yesterday Was A Million Years Ago
Updated my setup, I am very happy with it, got my first DAC, first valve headphone amp, large HD-TV and first set of B&W speakers (ex demo on offer !)

Computer desk

Directly behind me when I'm at the computer desk is a bookshelf on its side with TV/games consoles etc.

Picture looks a bit shoddy quality is much nicer than this picture shows.

Monitor Audio Bronze BR2's on chan A of the Rotel.

Amp sits to the right of the TV, its a Rotel RA-04 with a Beresford DAC, also show Little Dot 2 valve headphone amp and project headbox II headphone amp :D

B&W 686's on chan B of the Rotel, next to computer desk.

Also finally got some proper speaker stands after having some piss poor maplin ones :(

Rotel RA-04 Amp
Beresford TC-7510 Dac
Little Dot II Headphone Amp
Project Headbox II Headphone Amp
Panisonic Viera 32" LCD TV
Freesat HD Digital TV Box (Hidden under TV)
XBox 360 With HD-DVD Drive
PS3 60Gig
Monitor Audio Bronze BR2's (Chan A)
IMac / Macbook For Music Source
B&W 686 Speakers (Chan B)
Grado SR60 Headphones

RandomG
Mar 7, 2004
I LUV HONDA <3 ~<3 ~ <3 ~<3 ~ <3 ~<3 ~
I gotta say, after all that, the Grado sr-60s as your headphones doesn't make sense...

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances

RandomG posted:

I gotta say, after all that, the Grado sr-60s as your headphones doesn't make sense...

Yeah he should save up for some GS 1000s.

Might as well update with my latest AV purchase, a new Panasonic TH-42PZ80U!

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

RandomG posted:

I think you are probably right.... The headphones themselves have been some what neglected on my spending still I had very crap headphones before so the jump to the sr60's was fantastic (got them and the project headbox at the same time) still I am not sure where I should go next in terms of headphones as there is quite a choice!

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

Pibborando San posted:

Yeah he should save up for some GS 1000s.

Might as well update with my latest AV purchase, a new Panasonic TH-42PZ80U!

That is a nice plasma, looked at that or one that was very similar (in the panasonic range) when I was purchasing mine, shame I could not really go above 32" due to space limitations. Fantastic tv though, how are you finding it?

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

GhostSeven posted:

Fantastic tv though, how are you finding it?

Watching Planet Earth on it was pretty much a religious experience. The picture is the closest I've ever seen to looking through a window into another place.

Akvj1n
Dec 27, 2003

Communism, the word of G-d.

steckles posted:

No TV, so I guess it's really just an A/ setup. The 360 is essentially ornamental.

Speakers: Paradigm Monitors 7s.
Amp: Rotel RA-1062.
Turntable: Thorens TD-190.

The home made bass traps work quite well. CDs and MP3s are provided by the computer. I'm pretty happy with it.

Did you make the bookshelf on the left or where did you get it? I really need something similar.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Akvj1n posted:

Did you make the bookshelf on the left or where did you get it? I really need something similar.

It looks like this one to me.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Akvj1n posted:

That is the expedit.

Akvj1n
Dec 27, 2003

Communism, the word of G-d.
Indeed it does look like it, thanks.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Indeed it is an Expedit. I did however design the red and white shelf in the center. It's all like golden-ratio'd and poo poo.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My mom's friend is moving to Arizona and made her husband get rid of all the crap in his attic. One thing I gladly just took off his hands was a pair of Fisher SVT 800s from circa 1986. Now, from what I gather they weren't top of the line back then or anything, but it beats the no speaker set up I have for my TV right now. However, I let my dad use them for the summer until I move out because they won't fit in my room.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Figured I'd post since I just finished up my Microbes from the DIY thread.

Panasonic TH-42PX80U 42" plasma
Onkyo TX-SR606 AV recevier
Oppo DV-980 DVD player
XBox w/ XBMC and 120gig HD
Nfusion Nova FTA receiver
lovely Comcast box
DIY speakers based on the Microbe design.

Entertainment center is from Ikea (I've re-aligned the doors since this picture was taken).

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Hey nice TV :whatup:

I'd move your speakers away from the wall some more though. Rear ported designs like those need room to breath or they will sound too boomy. Mine are rear ported too and I like them around 16" out.

Even though this looks the same as before, I got a new PZ80 because of a dead pixel I found in the first one and I'm anal about these things.

app13pi3
Jun 24, 2007
New Apartment, new set-up.

TV: Philips 32PFL3403D 32" HDTV
PS3

and the computer you see on the left there is my media server.

Media server:
1.2 Ghz P4
1.25 GB RAM
6x500 GB HDD

Yeah, I'm really just starting to get my set-up together. I'm fairly certain that I'm gonna get the Onkyo 304B sometime soon, and probably a couple of cheap speakers to go with it.

Eventually I want to get a media front end so I don't have to hook up my laptop to the TV whenever I want to watch anything. I've been eyeing the Popcorn Hour A-100, any other recomendations?

w3rd
Dec 18, 2003

w3rd to your mother
Just got the Yamaha RX-V663 so rewired everything and got as many hidden as I could.

Toshiba 42" LCD
Wii
Xbox 360
Media Center PC

Next time around I will not hang all the peripherals as it became a bigger pain in the rear end than it was worth.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

w3rd posted:

Next time around I will not hang all the peripherals as it became a bigger pain in the rear end than it was worth.

Plus it's hard to hide wires.

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster
Yeah I've pretty much taken over the living room now.

Thanks to the projector thread here I got a Mitsubishi HC1500 and it's fantastic. I sit really close and crank the anti aliasing up to all hell. Sniping 4 pixel tall Germans on the horizon with iron sights in games like Red Orchestra is amazing. Sense of speed at this distance is kind of overwhelming in PC sims with the field of vision turned up, it's intense as hell and I can't handle it for more than 30 minutes at a time.

This is supposed to be a studio, but when is the last time that you think I got any work done?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
^ Doesnt that hurt your neck like hell?

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster
The photos were taken from a tripod high up, the actual line of sight from the chair is just a few degrees below center so I'm almost looking straight ahead. It's the best compromise between work area/entertainment center that I could think of with a college budget. Besides the two monitors the PC is connected to the projector by component cables and switching outputs is really easy now, so productivity and lazyness are just two clicks away from eachother. Teachers and sales reps alike told me this would be impossible to do but it's actually pretty convenient.

Moving everything to the center of the room improved the acoustics too, no more standing waves where I'm sitting.

Edit for below: Yup, that thing was free and a keeper until I graduate, priorities you know.

3363 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 30, 2008

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

3363 posted:

The photos were taken from a tripod high up, the actual line of sight from the chair is just a few degrees below center so I'm almost looking straight ahead. It's the best compromise between work area/entertainment center that I could think of with a college budget. Besides the two monitors the PC is connected to the projector by component cables and switching outputs is really easy now, so productivity and lazyness are just two clicks away from eachother. Teachers and sales reps alike told me this would be impossible to do but it's actually pretty convenient.

Moving everything to the center of the room improved the acoustics too, no more standing waves where I'm sitting.

You spent all that money on fancy A/V stuff and didn't replace the futon?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
re: futon... priorities are squared there I'd say, good A/V equipment will travel with you wherever, it doesn't make sense to invest in good furniture while you're living in a temporary spot and aren't able to piece together a matching set.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I still live with my parents while I'm going to school (Sophomore in College), so I'm alotted this 10' x 9' space, and I've done what I can with it. (Sorry for the picture quality, cell phone)

What's shown:

42" 720p Plasma
Modem
Linksys Etherfast Router
Xbox 360
PS3
Wii

On the right there's the space for a Roku Netflix Player. I plan on buying this, which will cause me to take out the top shelf, stand all three consoles vertically in the middle and put the receiver on the bottom. Each console has wired internet access, the Roku player will too.

From the couch

From the side

I'll try to get some better pictures in the next couple of days.

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 1, 2008

kibbles and bits
Aug 24, 2006
Meow
Here's my setup.

Some quick specs:
+42" Samsung DLP
+Sony 6.1 660W
+750W Subwoofer - Definitive (best pawn america purchase ever)
+Shuttle XPC SG33G5
+Intel g33 w/ integrated hdmi/vga/s/pdif
+2.2ghz core 2 duo e4500
+2gb ddr2 667
+About 3TB of HDD
+Vista Ultimate
+Harmony 880
+Directv H20-700 HD-DVR+
+Xbox 360

Pictures are a little old, I've added a pair of Fluance speakers for my front channel. Working on getting some better ones for the rest as well.

The HTPC:
Shuttle SG33G5 Intel G33 Socket 775 SFF Barebone / Audio / Video / HDMI / PCI Express / Gigabit LAN / S/PDIF / USB 2.0 & Firewire / eSATA / 250 Watt Power Supply

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3247598&CatId=2405

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

3363 posted:

Edit for below: Yup, that thing was free and a keeper until I graduate, priorities you know.

you are the first person who has the exact same rack 19" case as me, though i have a nice rack, and active monitors.

music gooonz :whatup:

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster

Boner Slam posted:

you are the first person who has the exact same rack 19" case as me, though i have a nice rack, and active monitors.

music gooonz :whatup:

Yeah I want to get a portable rack with wheels, at least 6U for an RME Multiface and the power unit. Then I got distracted by a fantasy of having an angled LCD screen and mixer with a slide out keyboard/mouse shelf and put everything on hold. Just chilling on the carpet collecting cat hairs for now. My PC is for audio production, live video/audio shows, and games/movies, so it's kind of complicated to balance practicality and reliability.

I don't think I'll ever have a normal piece of entertainment/multimedia gear, I don't even want my PS3 anymore, just rackmount/industrial everything, black monoliths and python thick cables everywhere.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

dphi posted:

Figured I'd post since I just finished up my Microbes from the DIY thread.

Entertainment center is from Ikea (I've re-aligned the doors since this picture was taken).
What Ikea product line is that from?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

CheshireCat posted:

What Ikea product line is that from?

Didn't take long to find:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89850988

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

The Dave posted:

Didn't take long to find:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89850988
The additional leg in his photo made me second guess it. I guess he swapped out the original legs with additional ones from Ikea.