Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

It felt like a good main event, a lot of chain wrestling before they went for their finishers. Better than most of what I've seen stateside this year. Even though I knew the ending it still felt like Mutoh pulled out a surprise victory. Crowd was pretty hot too.

Also, from AJPW:
Triple Crown: Suwama beat Kensuke Sasaki (c) (29:55) with a frog splash (Suwama becomes the 37th champion) I'm hoping this will lead to Mutoh/Suwama.

I really enjoyed this match and would have absolutely loved it if I didn't know the outcome. I don't watch a lot of Puro, so this is my first exposure to Nakamura. I need to see more of his matches to pass judgment, but what I saw didn't blow me away, and the fact that he (spoilered just in case) stopped selling his leg after Mutoh brutalized it was offsetting to say the least. That said, I'll give him another chance in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carl Smoky
Feb 25, 2006

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I really enjoyed this match and would have absolutely loved it if I didn't know the outcome. I don't watch a lot of Puro, so this is my first exposure to Nakamura. I need to see more of his matches to pass judgment, but what I saw didn't blow me away, and the fact that he (spoilered just in case) stopped selling his leg after Mutoh brutalized it was offsetting to say the least. That said, I'll give him another chance in the future.

I haven't seen a ton of Nakamura either, but from what I have seen he's a pretty good wrestler. He's definitely no Tanahashi, but when he's out there with guys like Nagata, Angle, Muto, or especially Tanahashi himself, he's able to put on, or at least be lead to a good to great match.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I just found out some of the card for Noah's European navigation - I'm thinking I might sell my ticket after hearing it - practically sick to my stomach at how they could make a card so dissapointing:

Yone/Shima vs. Akiyama/Bison Smith
Marufuji/Misawa vs. Kobashi/Shiozaki
Izumida/Kikuchi vs. Jobbers
Redman vs. Aoki

No Briscoes either...

Seriously - would it hard to put the main draws in singles matches? Really? It looks like a card I'd imagine to see two weeks before Wrestlemania :( Am I being pessimistic or might this end up being as dissapointing as indicators are showing me?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Jagtpanther posted:

I just found out some of the card for Noah's European navigation - I'm thinking I might sell my ticket after hearing it - practically sick to my stomach at how they could make a card so dissapointing:

Redman vs. Aoki

No Briscoes either...

Seriously - would it hard to put the main draws in singles matches? Really? It looks like a card I'd imagine to see two weeks before Wrestlemania :( Am I being pessimistic or might this end up being as dissapointing as indicators are showing me?
That's ... The way NOAH always books things. Seriously, if you don't want a bunch of semi-random tag matches, don't go to a NOAH show. Singles matches are usually reserved for title defenses on huge shows, the only notable exception I can recall offhand being Misawa vs KENTA in ROH and that was probably more a favor to a company they've had a solid working relationship with for several years.

Additionally, how can you be enough into NOAH to buy a ticket and not get excited for Marufuji/Misawa vs. Kobashi/Shiozaki?

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

That NOAH UK card doesn't look so bad. gently caress it looks like a better than average NOAH show. Unfortunately I can't go since I'm away on the my epic round the world trip, however it's not so bad as I'm Tokyo for two weeks so I'm sure I'll catch something over there.

Also if any goon does want my ticket to Noah they cn have it free if they want. It's just one in the middle if the floor seats, cost me £20, but if you want it it's yours as long as you use it and don't sell it on (that wouldn't be cool).

And finally when is the G-1 usually held. I know it's in August, but I'm not sure when. I'll be in Japan from the 8th to the 24th and I'm hoping to catch it if possible.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Illinois Smith posted:

Singles matches are usually reserved for title defenses on huge shows, the only notable exception I can recall offhand being Misawa vs KENTA in ROH and that was probably more a favor to a company they've had a solid working relationship with for several years.

Wouldn't a European tour be an excuse for a huge show, though?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Announced for the next NOAH tour: Nigel vs KENTA vs BJ Whitmer.

:psyduck:

Raffles posted:

when is the G-1 usually held. I know it's in August, but I'm not sure when. I'll be in Japan from the 8th to the 24th and I'm hoping to catch it if possible.
August, every year. Where will you be? Final will be in Tokyo on the 10th or 17th.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Ditch posted:

Announced for the next NOAH tour: Nigel vs KENTA vs BJ Whitmer.

:psyduck:

August, every year. Where will you be? Final will be in Tokyo on the 10th or 17th.

Not sure really, I fly into Tokyo on the 8th and I'm trying to arrange something with someone on couchsurfing.com so I gots someone to show me around the city a bit. After that I'll try to find a hostel or some cheap digs.

Since I know you've been there before, could you suggest any Puro related sights to see or anything cool in general as I really have no plans whatsoever apart from get drunk and watch wrestling?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
In a month or so it'll be easier to tell what shows will be when and where. In general there's at least one show a day in Tokyo and there are at least 3 on Saturdays and Sundays so you'll have plenty to choose from.

As far as 'puro tourism', I'll start physically at the Tokyo Dome since that's easy to find. The building with Korakuen is to the left of the "front" of the dome, the front being where the letters are. For buying tickets you go to the Korakuen office, which along with the arena is on the 5th floor of the building.

To get a satellite view, go to the Tokyo Dome wikipedia page, copy the coordinates, and paste them into Google Earth. Sadly I couldn't get them to paste properly here.

Korakuen is to the south. To get to the area with the puro shops, continue walking south past Korakuen. Eventually you go up some steps and over a bridge. Pass the subway station on your left, and after the McDonalds, take a left and that's the street with a variety of shops. Some are on the second floor but are easily visible due to merch in the windows. Eventually you'll come to the New Japan store.

Another place worth knowing is Ryogoku, which has Sumo Hall and a big museum. That's easy to find, right outside the Ryogoku train stop.

Shin Kiba is a place you'd only go to for puro, as Shin Kiba 1st Ring is the capital of small indy shows. From the Shin Kiba train station you hang left, then get on the right side of the road that goes parallel to the tracks. There are signs pointing the way from there. I got lost and wound up on the opposite side of the block, and you can't get to 1st Ring from that side.

As far as non-puro tourism that depends in part on your budget. 15-16 days gives you time to explore Tokyo and Yokohama thoroughly. If you want to make the trek to Osaka and that area, you're taking on like $200 for round-trip train fare. What to do... um... maybe this will help?
http://theditch.us/sights.html

And of course wikipedia and wikitravel have more, but they don't always know what's fun. Travel guides tell you to visit the Imperial Palace, and they are VERY WRONG.

Oh and it is f'ing hottttt in August and being a tourist means lots of walking around. Be prepared for this. And know that you will be the only one sweating.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jagtpanther posted:

Redman vs. Aoki

No Briscoes either...

It's a card in a not so big venue in front of a crowd who isn't going to pay to see NOAH for a long time after. Why would they blow a bunch of big matches for this?

And I hope Nigel vs KENTA vs BJ leads to KENTA vs Nigel for the ROH title.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Ditch you are a great, great man. Don't worry I expect the heat I'm in Thailand beforehand, during the hot and humid season no less, so I'll have plenty of experience. And thanks for the info on the New Japan store as I need one of these t-shirts:

Once again Ditch thanks a lot :)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Well, I'm into what all of them have done in ROH, I'm a big fan of Misawa and Kobashi's 90's matches and what I've seen of Akiyama and Shiozaki. I must admit I've never watched a full show as aired, and maybe I've just been spoiled by Ditch's archive of excellent one-on-one matches - surely you can see where I'm coming from though?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jagtpanther posted:

Well, I'm into what all of them have done in ROH, I'm a big fan of Misawa and Kobashi's 90's matches and what I've seen of Akiyama and Shiozaki. I must admit I've never watched a full show as aired, and maybe I've just been spoiled by Ditch's archive of excellent one-on-one matches - surely you can see where I'm coming from though?

I understand where you are coming from, but with NOAH even some of the Budokan shows are 80% tags, so you really have to understand the product you are going to.

Edit: Plus you are getting a tag that will have MARUFUJI VS KOBASHI! Marufuji and Kobashi have loving awesome chemistry.

Graic
Feb 2, 2008

Fella Man
Ok, I ordered a puro DVD a couple weeks ago (the show where Morishima won the GHC title), and because the order took so long, the guy sending it threw in a couple extras. One is a best of Great Muta, and the other is an AJPW show from February 7th last year. I know jackshit about AJPW, and can't find the line up for this show anywhere, and I want to know who the hell I'm watching, so can anyone help?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
There was no All Japan show on Feb 7 2007, so that must be an airdate. In which case I have no clue and it's almost certainly crap. Is it perhaps Feb 17th?

Graic
Feb 2, 2008

Fella Man
I dunno, it could be. I was just going by the date on the DVD, which says 2/7/2007. I haven't looked at any of it yet, so can't tell you anything about what's on it. I'll pop it in the DVD player in a few minutes to see if I recognize anyone.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

watching Dramatic Dream Gate 08 right now.

notes so far:
Danshuko Dino attempted to hold BxB Hulk's hand.
Micheal Nakazawa is a greasy, greasy man.
CIMA walked out dressed as Stalker Ichikawa.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
There is one moment on the show that's absolutely amazing.

Meanwhile,
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/2008/05/10/puroresu-pulse-issue-127-noah-struggles/
THIS WEEK: I gripe about NOAH's future.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
DO THE DRAGON SHUFFLE

dgusa posted:

Another wild night in Korakuen Hall.
CIMA opened the show by greeting fans and informing them of his injury and absence.
Araken and Iwasa heavily criticized Tozawa, and the direction of Tozawajuku. They attempted to remedy this by aiding Tanisaki in his match. They asked him to join, saying the gakuran would suit him. They gave him a Tozawajuku t-shirt and the 3 shook hands. They posed for a photo then left Naoki to decide.
Takagi and Kong danced with Hulk as promised, but Takagi quickly turned on Hulk before the match got underway. Shingo said after losing the GHC Jr tag, a weakling like Hulk was no longer necessary. Handshakes were exchanged with Gamma and YAMATO. New Hazard and MO'z are no more, the remainder of both sides reforming into a new unit called Real Hazard. Doi and Yoshino saved Hulk, which lead into a new Triangle Match, with Real Hazard vs. Doi, Yoshino, and Hulk.
Afterwards, Naoki intruded. He helped chase off RH. After formally declining membership into Tozawajuku, Doi invited him to fight with them. He accepted. m.c.KZ will return home from Mexico and also join their unit. The name will be announced on 5/31 in Kobe Sambo Hall.

Matches involving both new units were made for 6/12 Korakuen.

6/12/2008 Tokyo, Korakuen Hall
-BxB Hulk vs. Yasushi Kanda
-Naniwa Elimination Match: Shingo Takagi, Gamma, Genki Horiguchi, Cyber Kong vs. Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino, Naoki Tanisaki, m.c.KZ

Coming out of this, the unit alignments look like this:

Typhoon: CIMA (Injury Absence), Ryo, Susumu, Kid, Mori, PAC
Real Hazard: Shingo, Gamma, YAMATO, Kong, Horiguchi, Kanda
New Unit: Doi, Yoshino, Hulk, Tanisaki, m.c.KZ
Tozawajuku: Arai, Iwasa, Tozawa, Katsuo, Shishido
Mushozoku/NEX: Mochizuki, K-ness, Fujii, Shisa, BOY, Shenlong, Lupin, Shinobu
Hopefully Tozawajuku can recruit either Fuji or Shinobu because they definitely drew the short straw in this so far. If not they might as well disband the group and stick AraIwa in the new unit.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

quote:

NOAH, 05.27.2008
Hakodate Citizen Gymnasium

Kenta Kobashi, Tamon Honda & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi vs. Nigel McGuinness, Bryan Danielson & BJ Whitmer

Guess what guys: the first ever Kobashi vs Danielson matchup is unlikely to see the light of day!

:suicide:

TheDuelies
Jul 13, 2005

I'd go gay for this goggle-eyed freak!

Ditch posted:

Guess what guys: the first ever Kobashi vs Danielson matchup is unlikely to see the light of day!

:suicide:

Haha, I saw that too and was sad. This one left me puzzled as well:

May 21st show posted:

5. Nigel McGuinness, Bryan Danielson & BJ Whitmer defeated Mitsuharu Misawa, Yoshinari Ogawa & Kotaro Suzuki (16:02) when Whitmer used a Diving Body Press on Suzuki.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

TheDuelies posted:

Haha, I saw that too and was sad. This one left me puzzled as well:

Has BJ been promoted to second wheel? Or is this just a "thank you" win for jobbing in that triple threat?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Can't lose 'em all.

I wonder if this means he's back in ROH soon?

TheDuelies
Jul 13, 2005

I'd go gay for this goggle-eyed freak!

Lazy like a Fox posted:

Has BJ been promoted to second wheel? Or is this just a "thank you" win for jobbing in that triple threat?

I realize you don't really have to build him up for this since it's not a title match or a very important match, but maybe they didn't want him completely cold going into this match?:

May 23 Show posted:

5. Takeshi Morishima defeated BJ Whitmer (9:12) with a Backdrop Suplex.
Probably not the reason though.

Ditch posted:

Geez I hope not.

Also sad to see Marufuji and Sugiura lose the tag title today.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

Can't lose 'em all.

I think he was taking closer to six months off from ROH. I wonder who has a worse record in NOAH, BJ or Davey Richards. I feel so bad for all the hate BJ gets. He's such a solid mid card hand and such a nice guy and people just heap hate on him.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRayPer posted:

I think he was taking closer to six months off from ROH. I wonder who has a worse record in NOAH, BJ or Davey Richards. I feel so bad for all the hate BJ gets. He's such a solid mid card hand and such a nice guy and people just heap hate on him.

when its a big money match, BJ delivers. Otherwise he's just there.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

when its a big money match, BJ delivers. Otherwise he's just there.

Check out Transform and watch BJ/Hagadorn vs Edwards/Fish. BJ works his loving rear end off in that match and basically does the work of two men to make it watchable. He doesn't go out and blow you away everytime, but he shouldn't be, he's in the midcard. Blowing the crowd away would be bad. But I can think of a bunch of BJ Whitmer midcard matches where he goes out, busts his rear end and has a much better match than one would expect. Against Shingo, Joe, Homicide, the first Jacobs match, several early FIP matches, and most of his tags in 05.

And he and Jimmy had some really really good midcard tag brawls throughout their feud.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

MassRayPer posted:

Well that's good for him but there's a whole bunch of guys that are better than "solid midcard hand" that I'd like to see getting ROH paydays.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Captain Charisma posted:

Well that's good for him but there's a whole bunch of guys that are better than "solid midcard hand" that I'd like to see getting ROH paydays.

Who? Edwards, Blade, King and Kingston have too much potential to be continually used as job guys until a chance comes along to push them. Edwards seems to be finally getting that push. Beyond them I can't think of many people better suited to the role of losing a lot on the mid card and still having good matches.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

MassRayPer posted:

Who? Edwards, Blade, King and Kingston have too much potential to be continually used as job guys until a chance comes along to push them. Edwards seems to be finally getting that push. Beyond them I can't think of many people better suited to the role of losing a lot on the mid card and still having good matches.

Well I'm talking about people that should be brought in, not job guys. Whitmer is a guy that Gabe desperately wanted to be a manufactured star, and despite all those times where he tried so hard to make him one, nobody cared.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm attending an event at the end of the month - Pro Wrestling NOAH's UK debut with the show "European Navigation". Unfortunately there's no way to get a train home to London after 9:30 so I'm a little worried I'm going to have to walk out on an epic main event, but here's the announced rundown:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Mohammed Yone and Takeshi Morishima versus Jun Akiyama and Bison Smith

Tale of the Tape:

Yone hails from Aichi prefrecture in Japan. He weighs in at 100kg and his finisher is the Kinniku Buster (better known as the Muscle Buster). He is held the GHC Openweight Hardcore championship (incidentally a title introduced by Akiyama)

Morishima hails from Edogawa, Tokyo and weighs 145kg. He is the current reigning GHC Heavyweight champion, and former ROH World Heavyweight Champion. His main finishing maneuvers are the Backdrop Driver (1:29) and the Lariat, but his large size belies his agility and he often makes use of a double dropkick and cartwheel stinger splash to devastating effect.

They have been two time GHC Tag Team champions together.

Akiyama is 110kg and is pushing 38 years old, hailing from Osaka. A former GHC heavyweight champion (dethroned by Marufuji) was part of the tag team that dethroned Yone and Morishima from their last reign (alongside Rikio Takeshi).

He innovated the wrist clutch exploder suplex, and utilises wrist-clutch modifications to the Death Valley driver and Fisherman Buster as his Sterness Dust Alpha and Sterness Dust Gamma as his finishers.

Bison Smith is a reigning GHC Tag Team champion alongside Akitoshi Saito. He was born in 73 in Los Angeles, California and frequently competes in Japan. A 10 year veteran, he makes use of a release Styles Clash as his finisher, named the Bisontennial.

Naomichi Marufuji & Mitsuhara Misawa vs. Go Shiozaki & Kenta Kobashi

Tale of the Tape:

Marufuji hails from Saitama and weighs 84kg. He has won every belt in NOAH: the GHC Heavyweight Championship, Junior Heavyweight Championship, Tag Team Championship, Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship and the GHC Openweight Hardcore Championship.

His finisher is the Shiranui (a move he innovated but is more commonly known as the 'Sliced Bread No. 2') and he occasionally uses a top-rope moonsault version of the move known as the Shiranui Kai.

Misawa is 45 years old and he weighs 115kg. He was trained by Shohei 'Giant' Baba and Dory Funk, making his debut in 1981. He's the co-former of Pro Wrestling NOAH and alongside Kawada and Kobashi is considered one of the greats.

His finisher is the Emerald Flowsion.

Go Shiozaki is one of Kobashi's protege. He's a young lion at 26, and was born in Tokyo. His finisher is the Go Flasher.

Kenta Kobashi hails from Kyoto, Japan and weighs in at 120kg. He made his professional debut in 1988 in AJPW and rose to prominence in the 90's with his excellent bouts against Misawa. Due to cancer, he had an extended absence from competition until late 07 where he returned in a strong showing against Misawa.

His finisher is the Burning Hammer (inverted Death Valley Driver) and he often utilises the Brainbuster and repeated chops as signature offensive moves.

Atsushi Aoki vs. Joel Redmond

Tale of the Tape:

Aoki was named Rookie of the Year by WON in 2006, debuting in 2005 and is just 20 years old. His finisher appears to be a Frog Splash.

Redmond is a rookie from the UK, trained by Bobby Brookside hailing for Portsmouth, England.

Jun Izumida & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi vs. Wayne Fitzgerald and Martin Stone

Izumida weighs 139kg and hails from Miyagi, Japan, a 16-year veteran and ex-Sumo Wrestler, he gained dominance in NOAH as part of the Violence Bulldogs with Akira Taue. His finisher is the Meteorite (diving twisting headbutt) and Mukado Domu (F-5).

Kikuchi weighs 100kg and also hails from Miyagi. He's 44 years old with time spent across both AJPW and NJPW. His finisher is a spin-out powerbomb.

Stone made his debut in 2003 and has most recently participated in the Chikara King of Trios 2008 tournament as part of 'The Firm'. His finisher is the London Bridge (performed by Homicide in this clip).

Fitzgerald is a green wrestler with an MMA gimmick.

There is also a six man tag comprising of Mark Haskins, Zak Sabre and Dave Moralez vs. El Ligero, Bubblegum and a Mystery Partner. Yet to be announced is a match with Jay Briscoe, and participation from Nigel McGuinness and Bryan Danielson.

I'm excited!

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 5, 2008

Athius
Dec 5, 2004
Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell
Yes, it is going to be excellent.

I've also heard that it will have KENTA and Ishimori vs Nigel McGuinness and Doug Williams on the card, which will do nicely.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

With that in mind, do you think the show will be over by 9pm? (i.e. 2 hours) or am I going to end up missing yone/shima/bison/akiyama? :(

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Jagtpanther posted:

His finisher is the Burning Hammer
That's like saying Samoa Joe's finisher is a top rope muscle buster. Hope nobody is expecting it!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Because the description is a bit understated? Or that he doesn't use it at all?

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Jagtpanther posted:

Because the description is a bit understated? Or that he doesn't use it at all?

He's only used it a handful of times (betting Ditch will know the exact amount). It's certainly very rare move, so yeah I wouldn't be expecting it. Still it's not as bad as saying his finisher is the Diamondhead or anything.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Well, it wasn't my intent to cause any trouble - just trying to stir some conversation since the thread hadn't been posted in in two weeks!

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
When is that show?

I NEED TO BE THERE

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Jagtpanther posted:

Well, it wasn't my intent to cause any trouble - just trying to stir some conversation since the thread hadn't been posted in in two weeks!

no trouble you just didn't know.

Just a move he pulls out when he has NO OTHER OPTIONS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^^ Good stuff. I'm guessing I'll be expecting lariats and chops. Lots of chops.

Slaapaav posted:

When is that show?

I NEED TO BE THERE

June 21st, Coventry. Tickets here. There's at least one other goon going - Goon meet?