Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dicker
Sep 1, 2006

Savington posted:

Yeah, Emilio let me do this at Buttonwillow last year.

So when are you buying your set of NT-01s? V:haw:V

I'm running RS2's right now.

the course we were doing I only ran .2 seconds faster on the NT01's vs my hankooks, and emilio was .7 faster than me in my car. :(

but yes NT01's rule, I need another set of 6ul's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aksuur
Nov 9, 2003

Ulf posted:

"4th gear ring", it's coming from your transmission (and sometimes happens in 3rd too). Some out of spec part or something, nobody's really pinned it down to my knowledge. It doesn't really get worse, so after a while you learn not to worry about it.
In that case, I will consider it a feature.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Phone posted:

Which front lip do you have on your's? Garage Vary?

I have the OEM on mine, and I think it makes the car look a bit more aggressive.
edit: couldn't see vents, whoops.

destructo fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 6, 2008

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

mobn posted:

You know, I think the Miata may be the only car that I don't care for in white.

I don't get it. Does this mean you don't like them or something?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Ziploc posted:

I don't get it. Does this mean you don't like them or something?

Re-read that sentence again. I structured it a bit weirdly, but I was simply saying that the Miata is the only car that I don't think looks good in white. Usually a white car is pure sex, but it just doesn't work for the Miata. It just makes it look like bedroom walls.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Dicker posted:

I'm running RS2's right now.

the course we were doing I only ran .2 seconds faster on the NT01's vs my hankooks, and emilio was .7 faster than me in my car. :(

Stock power car? With a turbo I dropped like 3 seconds switching to R-comps. :swoon:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
drat you non-DIN bezel. :argh:

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Phone posted:

That is a horrendously ugly head unit you got there. Excellent choice on the shift knob though.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Phone posted:

If you've got a 90-93, there are regular double din bezels available.
http://miataroadster.com/interior.html
I just shaved a bit of the plastic off of the sides and was able to shove mine in. It still looks like poo poo though.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

FireTora posted:

That is a horrendously ugly head unit you got there. Excellent choice on the shift knob though.
Where from? Mazda 3?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Firetora's just saying that about the shift knob since I followed his lead and got a Mazda6 gear knob.

My camera phone isn't too great, but I think that the Pioneer unit that I got was fairly good looking and it isn't too flashy.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

Phone posted:

Wait.. is that why I always had weird issues? I thought it was either me being retarded or the poor build quality of the aftermarket headunits/kits/faceplate surround bezels.

laymil posted:

If you've got a 90-93, there are regular double din bezels available.

Why wouldn't it work for 94-97? I don't remember there being any differences in that piece.

edit: wait does the 94-97 actually have a DIN sized bezel? I've never noticed :sweatdrop:

ChiliMac fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 5, 2008

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The 94-96 don't have DIN bezels, it's just a bit off. The 96.5 - 97s have DIN bezels.

StankCheeze
Aug 4, 2003

Use racial slurs in AI?
Ban.
Actually racist?
Ban as well you whiny fucking bitch.

FireTora posted:

http://www.thompson-automotive.com/voodoo.html is the only answer.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

StankCheeze posted:

http://www.thompson-automotive.com/voodoo.html is the only answer.
I bought a Magnum and while I love the feel of it, I like the leverage of the stock shifter better (and the weight). Anyone want a somewhat used spun Magnum?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

destructo posted:

I bought a Magnum and while I love the feel of it, I like the leverage of the stock shifter better (and the weight). Anyone want a somewhat used spun Magnum?

sure. What does it weigh (for shipping purposes)?

edit: poo poo, nevermind. Those things are expensive. I don't have enough money to buy that off you right now.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
$200 for a shift knob? That takes retarded to a whole new level, jesus.

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
Mine fits quite nicely in my 96 - here's a protip: for the lower DIN, go to a junkyard and grab a pocket out of a MX3 / Protege. Pops right in and fits perfectly, and plastic is nicer quality than what you get in one of those din conversions. I'll snap a shot of mine tomorrow.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Schwack posted:

$200 for a shift knob? That takes retarded to a whole new level, jesus.
That's for a solid titanium knob. He almost certainly has the $35 aluminum version instead. I have one too, but the stock shifter is heavier and works better in hot/cold so I'm back to that.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 6, 2008

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

iscariot posted:

Mine fits quite nicely in my 96 - here's a protip: for the lower DIN, go to a junkyard and grab a pocket out of a MX3 / Protege. Pops right in and fits perfectly, and plastic is nicer quality than what you get in one of those din conversions. I'll snap a shot of mine tomorrow.

Phone posted:

The 94-96 don't have DIN bezels, it's just a bit off. The 96.5 - 97s have DIN bezels.

Dicker
Sep 1, 2006
My lip is an OEM R lip that has met the ground alot, and has a 949racing sticker on the front.

Savington - all 109whp! I have a Kaaz LSD so i dont really have issues putting the power down..

Heres a close up of the lip

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I have the same lip, its just that the sticker threw me off.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Dicker posted:

Savington - all 109whp! I have a Kaaz LSD so i dont really have issues putting the power down..

I want to know everything about this. How much, helical or clutch, availability, how long does it last if it's a clutch, 1.5 or 2, how's the lock-up, more biased towards drift/track or autocross, etc.

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
ah... well, I'll see how well my 94 takes it.

Also - Savington, if you drop your head in here - I'm still a good 4 months away (at least - have to finish the SHO, then swap over some of the go fast bits off the 96) from building up the 94. I'm debating a DIY turbo vs. a kit - I'm already running 9psi with the m45. The 94 is going to get an engine-out buildup, H beams and maybe 9:1 pistons. (I still haven't budgeted everything yet..)

A. worth going with a 99head on a boosted application (for valve float)?
B. Whats a cheap(ish) kit that's easy to build up? All I know are FM, Greddy, and Begi Or am i putting the cart before the horse?

Dicker
Sep 1, 2006

Savington posted:

I want to know everything about this. How much, helical or clutch, availability, how long does it last if it's a clutch, 1.5 or 2, how's the lock-up, more biased towards drift/track or autocross, etc.

How Much - $830 shipped is retail through touge factory with a 2L of kaaz oil (like 45$) i paid $730 in january during a group buy.

Clutch Type - http://www.kaazusa.com/lsd.html

Easy to get, Kaaz USA is based in orange county CA.

it lasts a long while as long as you maintain it (oil change every 5k miles with non synthetic and a friction modifier, or if you have the money, kaaz oil which is 22$ per change. I use sta-lube GL5 75w90 with equitorque friction modifier)

Lock up can be fine tuned by how much friction modifier you use, i run about 3.5 ounces of it in the diff, and its seamless, no chatter, no harsh engagement, just a little tire chatter doing tight uturns on the gas. If you want it to lock like god just welded your diff together just run straight gear oil with no modifier, but it will be hell making low speed turns.

It's a 1.5 way and emilio said he liked the way my car felt, and I thourougly enjoy having it. I'll be at big willow on wednesday, and I'll report back how it felt on the track vs autox.

If you want a 2way to be a madtite drifter or for maximum launch, you can get the maruha 2way from chikara.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dicker posted:

it lasts a long while as long as you maintain it (oil change every 5k miles with non synthetic and a friction modifier, or if you have the money, kaaz oil which is 22$ per change. I use sta-lube GL5 75w90 with equitorque friction modifier)

Jesus, 5k diff oil changes? Does that thing just poo poo clutch material every two seconds?

Dicker
Sep 1, 2006
its preventitive, the fluid comes out pretty dang clean.

if you're doing an autocross of drift day and really beating on the diff, you want to change it afterwards.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

mobn posted:

sure. What does it weigh (for shipping purposes)?

edit: poo poo, nevermind. Those things are expensive. I don't have enough money to buy that off you right now.
Well, let me know -- I'd let it go for ~27 shipped? I'll post up a pic in the AI classifieds in a bit.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

destructo posted:

Well, let me know -- I'd let it go for ~27 shipped? I'll post up a pic in the AI classifieds in a bit.

Doesn't look like you made the post in the Marketplace, so I'll offer here. I'll take it for $27 shipped if mobn doesn't want it. This is the spun/polished aluminum without the clear pearl finish, right? Let me know your paypal.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

goku chewbacca posted:

Doesn't look like you made the post in the Marketplace, so I'll offer here. I'll take it for $27 shipped if mobn doesn't want it. This is the spun/polished aluminum without the clear pearl finish, right? Let me know your paypal.

It's yours man. I don't have that much money just for a shift knob right now.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007

iscariot posted:

The 94 is going to get an engine-out buildup, H beams and maybe 9:1 pistons. (I still haven't budgeted everything yet..)

A. worth going with a 99head on a boosted application (for valve float)?
B. Whats a cheap(ish) kit that's easy to build up? All I know are FM, Greddy, and Begi Or am i putting the cart before the horse?

What are your horsepower goals? Folks that are doing H-beams and forged pistons and 99 heads are usually searching for a reliable 275whp+.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

mobn posted:

Re-read that sentence again. I structured it a bit weirdly, but I was simply saying that the Miata is the only car that I don't think looks good in white. Usually a white car is pure sex, but it just doesn't work for the Miata. It just makes it look like bedroom walls.

Sorry. I thought that said "while" not white. :shobon:

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
I'm thinking 200-250, guesstimating (dreaming) that my current s/c is good for around 150-175 - I was going to go to the drat megasquirt they had at diyautotune a few weeks ago and do some dyno pulls, only to have to replace my fathers timing belt.. grrr.. so, no dyno..

but i'm a stickler for do it once, do it right, and if possible do it cheap.. (well, now I am... I wasn't while building up my 96... )

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

goku chewbacca posted:

Sure thing, let me take a picture of it before I take your money, it's not perfect. I'll post it up in the classifieds tomorrow at some point, my car is parked across the street in another garage :argh:.

Frost -273
Nov 26, 2004
I am going to pick-up my first miata tonight - a red 1998 stock NB.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007

iscariot posted:

I'm thinking 200-250, guesstimating (dreaming) that my current s/c is good for around 150-175 - I was going to go to the drat megasquirt they had at diyautotune a few weeks ago and do some dyno pulls, only to have to replace my fathers timing belt.. grrr.. so, no dyno..

but i'm a stickler for do it once, do it right, and if possible do it cheap.. (well, now I am... I wasn't while building up my 96... )

175 on an M45 is doable, but not intelligent. MP62 or turbo is the way to go for anything more than 150. (basically, gently caress the M45.)

200-250 is a HUGE range. A reliable 200whp is a GT2554R and a stock engine; a reliable 250whp is a GT2860R/RS and forged rods. I suspect that the 200-220 range is what you are really shooting for; for that range, leave your motor alone and use a GT2560R turbo. If you ever want to upgrade, the 2860 is a simple upgrade to give you headroom to 250, and at 250 you'll want to crack the motor open and do pistons and rods. You can do a 99 head and all the supporting mods, and then use a 2560 and hit 220whp, but you really don't need to spend all that money. To crack the motor open and do forged guts, billet OPG, ARP hardware, and a 99 head with a good valvetrain, you're looking at 3-4k minimum.

For 220whp, here's what I would do today (this is very, very close to what I actually did):

-Stock internals '94 longblock
-BEGi-S kit
-MSPNP/LC-1/Rx7 460cc injectors
-DIY intercooler/BOV setup
-3" exhaust

If you insist on opening the motor, use forged rods (CAT or ETD) and OEM 9.5:1 '99 pistons. The OEM cast pistons will do 300whp with ease, and they will cold idle MUCH smoother than forged pistons and last quite a bit longer. Forged pistons aren't really necessary until you are looking for more than 300whp, and if you can get away with cast ones the motor will remain much more streetable.

Remember that if you plan to actually drive the car, you'll need a clutch (ACT HD is best, and will take 220whp easily), and if you plan to track it, you'll need a larger radiator and an oil cooler at a bare minimum. A coolant reroute and a vented hood are both highly recommended for track use. You'll also need suspension to handle it, etc. :20bux:

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
Aye - LC1, 440 supra low-z resistors, MS w/ peak and hold, are already bought and paid for. I lucked into the m45 for cheap... then got somewhat addicted to adding power.

Sounds like I need to go ahead and pick up Corky's book (outdated yes I know..)

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.
I had my car MOT'd (emissions test and basic safety stuff) yesterday and while it was up on the ramp I noticed some oil on the plastic plate at the front (underneath) of the car.

Without taking the cover off I can't see what's leaking, and I don't have tools or anywhere to work on it where i'm living at the moment so i'll have to take it into a garage.

Any idea what it could be? There's no oil in my parking space and it was last serviced in Feb so could it just be oil spilled on there from the service?

Willie D
Dec 29, 2006

by Ozma

Savington posted:

175 on an M45 is doable, but not intelligent. MP62 or turbo is the way to go for anything more than 150. (basically, gently caress the M45.)

200-250 is a HUGE range. A reliable 200whp is a GT2554R and a stock engine; a reliable 250whp is a GT2860R/RS and forged rods. I suspect that the 200-220 range is what you are really shooting for; for that range, leave your motor alone and use a GT2560R turbo. If you ever want to upgrade, the 2860 is a simple upgrade to give you headroom to 250, and at 250 you'll want to crack the motor open and do pistons and rods. You can do a 99 head and all the supporting mods, and then use a 2560 and hit 220whp, but you really don't need to spend all that money. To crack the motor open and do forged guts, billet OPG, ARP hardware, and a 99 head with a good valvetrain, you're looking at 3-4k minimum.

For 220whp, here's what I would do today (this is very, very close to what I actually did):

-Stock internals '94 longblock
-BEGi-S kit
-MSPNP/LC-1/Rx7 460cc injectors
-DIY intercooler/BOV setup
-3" exhaust

If you insist on opening the motor, use forged rods (CAT or ETD) and OEM 9.5:1 '99 pistons. The OEM cast pistons will do 300whp with ease, and they will cold idle MUCH smoother than forged pistons and last quite a bit longer. Forged pistons aren't really necessary until you are looking for more than 300whp, and if you can get away with cast ones the motor will remain much more streetable.

Remember that if you plan to actually drive the car, you'll need a clutch (ACT HD is best, and will take 220whp easily), and if you plan to track it, you'll need a larger radiator and an oil cooler at a bare minimum. A coolant reroute and a vented hood are both highly recommended for track use. You'll also need suspension to handle it, etc. :20bux:
Would it be a realistic/good idea to aim for 220 with either the MP62 or Jackson Racing supercharger on a mk2? Apart from the kit, would upgrades to the engine be needed to handle this kind of power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Sorry to butt in again, but since the 323 GTX rear diff is the exact same unit that Mazda eventually put in the 1.6L NA cars, I wanted to know what a good limited slip diff if for those early ones. I'd want to buy used, and the whole pumpkin already set up. I have awd and drive hard primarily on gravel/dirt/sand, so lots of rear lockup isn't the biggest issue. Linearity is, however.

A recommendation on a unit and a hint for what sites have classifieds. I'm located in SoCal, if everyone didn't know already.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 8, 2008