Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delysid
Jul 31, 2003

need another damn shooter
Hand #1: Buy in full, keep a full stack at the table. Preflop is okay, a case could be made to raise it a tad bigger since it's microstakes and people will never fold anything that's a 20 in blackjack preflop but there's nothing wrong with 3x. This hand is totally and completely standard. What are you going to do, fold the flop? Not raise preflop? Aside from having a short stack there's no other way to play this. You got the money in as a big favorite, that's all you can do. Edit: he didn't hit a 5 outer I'm dumb

Hand #2: :barf:... Way too big of a bet on the flop. You're betting $.32 into $.20 when you have a totally decent stack. You really never need to bet more than the pot unless you have like 2 or less times the pot in your stack and you're shoving. The fold is also gross, you have top 2, exactly 3 hands beat you, folding is just madness. Especially since you have an 8 and a 5, it's pretty unlikely he has 55 or 88 here, 88 especially since he'd have raised preflop unless he's insanely passive. Most of the time he has like A8 or a flush draw, if he happens to somehow have 22 or 55 it's just a cooler. But yeah in summary never ever ever ever fold here.

Delysid fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 31, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niknik
Mar 12, 2007

this ain't sea world
http://www.pokerhand.org/?2689762
he just sat down no pots no reads how's my line

Jelly!
Feb 15, 2007

pAPYruS mEMBeR

niknik posted:

i think its pretty good.

i feel like he has a set here most of the time. a small raise pf, and probably the small flop bet to induce a rr. turn doesnt help, probably not hitting your range, if he was thinking. river ace seems a good card to trap you and get you to bet a lot of the time.

i folds

M E A T Y
May 2, 2005

so secure

niknik posted:

i like, cant c/c river youll miss out on value way too often so b/f is best i think

dsquash
Jul 6, 2000
I think a check-call on the river is probably better, I think that there are more hands in his range that will bluff river than will call your bet. What hands are we missing value on by not betting? KQ? I can't think of many that would call the river bet unless villain had a bit of a history with niknik.

Is not betting river too nitty from me?

Jelly!
Feb 15, 2007

pAPYruS mEMBeR
http://www.pokerhand.org/?2691731

man i really didnt know what I should have done on the flop.

i feel that if i rr him that i am basically commiting myself and that gives away any chance of him rrr ai which i obviously want.

but if i just smooth call i would be pretty sure he would give up on turn unless i guess he hits an ace which i feel could make his two pair (ima put him on aqs).

which path is possibly more +ev?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

JellyS posted:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2691731

man i really didnt know what I should have done on the flop.

i feel that if i rr him that i am basically commiting myself and that gives away any chance of him rrr ai which i obviously want.

but if i just smooth call i would be pretty sure he would give up on turn unless i guess he hits an ace which i feel could make his two pair (ima put him on aqs).

which path is possibly more +ev?

I'm probably calling in position and seeing if he wants to take a stab at it since you're showing passiveness by only calling. If an ace does come you're going to want to re-evaluate but the chances of that are slim if he has one in his hand. I think it's pretty read-dependent to see which is more +EV because if he's aggro he'll probably take another stab. If he's tight I think it's ok to reraise and hope he has AK.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Way ahead/behind situation on the flop. When you reraise he shoves all hands better than yours and folds all worst hands (except AK, AA). If he has AK or AA you will still get all his money on the turn, and he might take another stab with his worst hands. I think a smooth call is better, his entire range of worst hands only has 2-5 outs at most to improve on the turn.

dsquash
Jul 6, 2000
http://www.pokerhand.org/?2695091

Still trying to get better at HU so here's a hand I think I played very poorly. No real reads on the villain. He limped fairly often up to that point, more than half the time.

Should I 3bet the flop? What's my line if I get shoved on after 3betting? As played, where do you consider folding this hand, if at all?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

dsquash posted:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2695091

Still trying to get better at HU so here's a hand I think I played very poorly. No real reads on the villain. He limped fairly often up to that point, more than half the time.

Should I 3bet the flop? What's my line if I get shoved on after 3betting? As played, where do you consider folding this hand, if at all?

I think 3betting is fine and I think calling is fine too. If this is the first time he's ever minraised and pot size bet every street then I might be worried but I think playing the passive check/caller with this hand is alright, you're not really worried about any draws. If he ships on you when you reraise flop I'm pretty sure I'm calling all the time, but I don't play HU cash regularly.

ZeroStar
Dec 18, 2006
:[
I think that HU hand is a good place to call the flop, and then call some more. It's really dependent on the flow of the game and how he thinks you're playing so I don't think anyone can give you perfect advice. The thing is that he can just be stabbing at this flop because it is such a hard board to hit, so if he thinks you're cbetting a lot or just being very aggressive I would not fold at any point.

Your hand is only vulnerable to the FD that's out there so I wouldn't be too concerned with protecting my hand, I would only 3bet the flop if I do it occasionally as a bluff and it will encourage him to stack off light. If that is the case then go ahead and 3bet, but otherwise I wouldn't want to blow weaker kings out of the pot just yet.

We really need to know some postflop tendencies of the villain to give accurate responses but I think your line is decent against an unknown. KQ got there on the river which sucks but the FD also bricked and you're getting nice odds so look him up. It probably won't be a super profitable spot but make a note for later on what he showed down.

ZeroStar
Dec 18, 2006
Here's a hand I played a few days ago. I just started the session so the only thing I can say about the villain is that he was active in open raising preflop, so I 3bet him light here from the BB.

I have J8o.
https://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcHFwsTFxcHGxsTExMbBxojHwcHBxMA%3d

This is the perfect board to CRAI for me so that's what I'm going for on the flop, but he checks it back. On the turn I figure I will try to take it down while also inflating the pot incase I hit on the river if he calls. He shoves on me and I cry a little.

What's your standard line? I think my turn bet should have been a little bigger it may have induced a bluff.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
your reasoning for 3betting pre is not good. especially if you had just started the session and your only read was that he was 'active'. that probably just means hes loose and makes it less likely that he'd fold pf to your 3bet.

bbc what it dew
Aug 3, 2007
SAMMY TRANKS

Swanson Broth posted:

I have AA. (Zomboni)
https://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcHFw8TFxc3Mx8TExMXNwYjCxMPDxcc%3d
Villain is your average tight/passive.

I have 85. (Zomboni)
https://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcHFw8TFxc3Mx8TExMfFxojCxMPDxcc%3d
Villain is unknown.

I'm new to poker...did I play these hands correctly?

hand 1 is standard you are ahead of everything and clearly you LOVE IT
hand 2 wtf why are you folding you practically have the nuts ahead vs like everything flush draw, straight draw overpair 1pair

ZeroStar
Dec 18, 2006
e: nvm me and Alex talked about this on irc.

ZeroStar fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 2, 2008

Jelly!
Feb 15, 2007

pAPYruS mEMBeR
line checks

1 http://www.pokerhand.org/?2701331

2 http://www.pokerhand.org/?2701339

3 http://www.pokerhand.org/?2701357

-

is 1 a bit spewy?

for 2, i feel like he might have been floating me, and im almost 100% on that spot that the 3 did not help him. so would it be better for me to check and reraise him on the turn? id put him on Ax. maybe but i doubt it, two overs?

3 feels standard, but maybe rr pf a little more? 25ish?

niknik
Mar 12, 2007

this ain't sea world
Jelly I think they are all NHs. Hand 2 I def like CR to get value from his float or even check call, check river will induce bluffs a lot. Hand 3 is fine, hopefully stack a worse A or get his draw in before it bricks.

Zachsta
Jun 13, 2007

by T. Fine
Full Tilt Poker Game #6671480573: Table Gaeta (6 max) - $0.05/$0.10 - No Limit Hold'em - 22:54:44 ET - 2008/06/02
Seat 1: didupook ($22)
Seat 2: kevin099999 ($5.85)
Seat 3: red man 1204 ($0.40)
Seat 4: GetOffMeUgly ($8.05)
Seat 5: Zachsta ($13.60)
Seat 6: CashCow1 ($4.50)
red man 1204 posts the small blind of $0.05
GetOffMeUgly posts the big blind of $0.10
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Zachsta [7d 7s]
Zachsta raises to $0.35
CashCow1 calls $0.35
didupook folds
kevin099999 folds
red man 1204 folds
GetOffMeUgly calls $0.25
*** FLOP *** [9c Td 7c]
GetOffMeUgly has 15 seconds left to act
GetOffMeUgly checks
Zachsta bets $0.80
CashCow1 calls $0.80
GetOffMeUgly folds
*** TURN *** [9c Td 7c] [Kh]

?????

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

bet the pot?

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

c/f his range is QJ/J8/KK/TT so you're crushed. You'll never be able to beat microstakes if you cant let go of bottom set

ZeroStar
Dec 18, 2006
I was really tempted to post something like "fold preflop" but I am going to make a serious post.

Bet to protect your hand and get value. The villain has like 33bbs left, it really isn't hard to figure out a decent line as long as you don't fold.

Zachsta
Jun 13, 2007

by T. Fine
Yeah I pushed, (he had QJ) but I guess I'm wondering more about the flop action.

dsquash
Jul 6, 2000
It's a very drawy board so you should raise the flop. You're giving the blind good odds to continue with a flush draw by just calling.

niknik
Mar 12, 2007

this ain't sea world
http://www.pokerhand.org/?2703693

How's my line here. Is this an EZ turn b/f? Villain is fees from 2p2 (winning reg). I have him at 33/27/5 over 303 hands with an 8 flop aggro factor and 12% CR. We haven't really gone to showdown against eachother just 3b PF a couple times and I haven't really shown down anything terrible yet.

ZeroStar
Dec 18, 2006

Zachsta posted:

Yeah I pushed, (he had QJ) but I guess I'm wondering more about the flop action.

You bet, I like it.

niknik:
Weird spot. I am probably not betting the turn mostly because I would hate to be c/r'ed again and I want to play a small pot at this point. When you go with that line though you have to call a bet on a lot of rivers, and I will probably call this one. It looks like he is hardcore VB'ing you but a player like fee's might be capable of leveling you into a fold by bluffing small on this obvious scare card.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

niknik posted:

How's my line here. Is this an EZ turn b/f? Villain is fees from 2p2 (winning reg). I have him at 33/27/5 over 303 hands with an 8 flop aggro factor and 12% CR. We haven't really gone to showdown against eachother just 3b PF a couple times and I haven't really shown down anything terrible yet.

you have an overpair against an aggro reg why would you ever do something that doesnt result in all the money getting to the middle

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Xyven posted:

you have an overpair against an aggro reg why would you ever do something that doesnt result in all the money getting to the middle

i don't think this is right!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

So here is a hand I played live 2/5 at the Rio.

I raise Q9ss UTG+2 in a 10-handed table. Villain1 in CO has been very active in pots. In the first hand I play at the table Villain1 limps, guy next to him raises, I call in the BB with 77 only to have Villain1 suddenly limp-3bet, guy next to him shoves, then Villain1 tanks and folds asking the guy to show him KK/AA and the guy obliges. Villain1 claims to have folded QQ. The next hand some old Italian dude raises to 35, Villain1 tanks AGAIN and says, "I think you have Jacks", calls and tables QQ. Old italian dude says, "You're completely right" and tables AA and it holds up. Villain1 reloads.

Villain2 is an older fellow from New York who plays pretty well considering "OLDER PEOPLE PLAY BAD" mentality. He is definitely very solid, very aggressive and sometimes tricky (check-raising a river K on a K-high flop). He has been very active against Villain1. In one hand on a paired board with 2 straight possibilities on the river Villain2 reraised Villain1 small bet and gets Villain1 to fold. Villain2 tables K7 for a bluff. Another hand Villain1 bets an A river, gets called by Villain2, Villain2 says "I have King high" and it's good. Final hand is a limped pot where 2 diamonds come on the flop and gets checked through. On the turn 5:c: Villain1 leads out and Villain2 calls. Then on the river diamond Villain1 makes a huge bet. Villain2 tanks and calls him then tables T5o. Villain1 mucks.

Onto the hand: I have been playing pretty tight, not getting too many cards to play . I think most people know I am playing tight because the last orbit I had opened 76s UTG+1 and all fold. Villain1 is in the 2 seat, Villain2 is in the 6 seat and I am in the 8 seat. UTG+1 I pick up Q9ss and raise to 20 (standard raise size). Villain1 looks at his cards, pauses for a while before finally just flat-calling. Villain2 in the BB looks at his cards and calls right away.

Flop is 9:c:8:h:5:h:.

Villain2 checks to me, I bet 50 into the pot. Villain1 looks at me for a bit, pulls out a stack but just calls me. Villain2 quickly calls.

Turn A:c:

Villain2 checks, I?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

You're in a bad way in that pot...WTF are you doing raising with Q9 suited?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

niknik posted:

I have no idea how you play vs checkraises or what your overall image/stats are but it certainly can't be that terrible to 3bet him on the flop. Even if you have never done this before, thinking villians are just gonna have to play a guessing game. Some will think that you have the nuts and will fold (oh well), some will think wtf why would he be doing this for value and maybe spew off the rest of their stack on a semibluff or something.

He's not really repping anything credible though so if you are afraid of turning your hand into a bluff by taking that line and just call the flop bet, I think a turn bet is pretty mandatory. He probably has jack poo poo but you arent getting his stack in most situations unless you force him to rebluff which is hard to do without the proper image. I'd just make another stabby looking bet on the turn and probably snap off a shove because only 79 from his c/r range gets there, unless he was checkraising something like T8 for value or 56/86. The turn brings enough draws for him to check shove and your "float c/r and stab turn" range certainly does not look like it can stand that kind of heat.

As played, he's giving you great odds on the river but I don't think he expects you to fold much. The ace and backdoor flush hit enough of his range where its probably a fold. You can only really call if he makes that small type of bet as a cheap bluff expecting you to fold a ten or maybe an eight. It's a good river bet by him with whatever he has.

niknik
Mar 12, 2007

this ain't sea world
Yeah I think I screwed this hand up big time by not betting the turn and he prolly c/f most of the time. I was strongly going to argue for b/f turn but the more I think about it the more I hate it since you seem fairly convinced he can shove a draw there.

But on the other hand when I raise UTG and continue v his flop CR I gotta look pretty strong and he can't think that I am going to b/f turn?? Which makes it a fold? I'm just going in circles with this hand in my head and making it way harder than it needs to be. I don't think he's ever shoving worse when I 3b flop as UTG raiser though. Also yeah I thought he could be bluffing the scare card with that small bet but I call so much on the river anyway and we are multitabling so I guess he might know this.

bbc what it dew
Aug 3, 2007
SAMMY TRANKS
Seat 1: MrOnePutt ($215 in chips)
Seat 2: FlareMVP ($228.10 in chips)
Seat 3: gideonhansen ($233.40 in chips)
Seat 4: peterjenning ($311.50 in chips)
Seat 6: DonLimit ($196.65 in chips)
gideonhansen: posts small blind $1
peterjenning: posts big blind $2
DBL_J_22: sits out
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to peterjenning [Ah Kc]
DonLimit: raises $4 to $6
MrOnePutt: folds
FlareMVP: folds
gideonhansen: folds
peterjenning: raises $16.25 to $22.25
DonLimit: calls $16.25
*** FLOP *** [Qd 4h Kh]
peterjenning: bets $32
DonLimit: calls $32
*** TURN *** [Qd 4h Kh] [3d]
peterjenning: checks
DonLimit: checks
*** RIVER *** [Qd 4h Kh 3d] [8d]
peterjenning: checks
DonLimit: bets $55
peterjenning: raises $202.25 to $257.25 and is all-in

villain is DonLimit, one of the better 1/2 regs, plays 23/18 and has around a 7% 3bet. we have a pretty active 3bet history, in a 40 hand session i have 3bet him once and he has 3bet me twice and folded to a smallish 4bet.

on the turn im going for the stackadonk, but when i whiff the chr, i decide to go for the river c/r and make my hand look like a hopeless bluff since i dont think i would possibly check any good hand twice.

thoughts?

Oct 29, 2006

by Fragmaster

bbc what it dew posted:

on the turn im going for the stackadonk, but when i whiff the chr, i decide to go for the river c/r and make my hand look like a hopeless bluff since i dont think i would possibly check any good hand twice.

thoughts?

bet out or c/c. both lines equal imo. c/r is worse than either. you've got showdown equity and the definition of a small pot hand.

5463 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 5, 2008

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

5463 posted:

you've got showdown equity and the definition of a small pot hand.

lolol he has TPTK in a 3bet pot his hand is the definition of the nuts

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I CAN"T BELIEVE YOU'D PUT ALL YOUR MONEY IN WITH ONE PAIR

YOU SIR ARE A CLOWN

bbc what it dew
Aug 3, 2007
SAMMY TRANKS

Stefan Prodan posted:

I CAN"T BELIEVE YOU'D PUT ALL YOUR MONEY IN WITH ONE PAIR

YOU SIR ARE A CLOWN

im sorry the hand being discussed isnt full ring so you can relate nitboy

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

bbc what it dew posted:

im sorry the hand being discussed isnt full ring so you can relate nitboy

i was defending you jerk :mad:

niknik
Mar 12, 2007

this ain't sea world
http://www.pokerhand.org/?2713664

good spot to fold a set? I got him at 18/16/3 w an EP raise of 11%. 7 Flop Aggr and 3 Turn. Not much history with him.

Jelly!
Feb 15, 2007

pAPYruS mEMBeR

niknik posted:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2713664

good spot to fold a set? I got him at 18/16/3 w an EP raise of 11%. 7 Flop Aggr and 3 Turn. Not much history with him.

i cant not get my money in here. i really wanted you to raise pf though. that way his range would be smaller(this might be unnecessary though). theres no real hand that would have him have 9x, maybe 99. him being the utg raiser, and him actually playing really aggressively makes me put him on a premium. i dont know your image, but you probably have a decently large calling range? and you are in position. he cant put you on a 9, but probably AT or soemthing. i shove everyday. i go crazy if he shows 99/J9s tough. and you still have 10 outs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I wouldn't fold there. If he has a 9 he wouldnt just randomly lead out like that because he knows nothing will pay him off except a chop. I think LOL_CHECKRAISE is some decent reg but I dont recall who. If he does have a 9, congrats?

• Locked thread