Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Has everyone heard of "EF" yet? I got it recommended to me from CDBaby and drat is it good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vo n zip
Sep 28, 2007

Elevate me! Implode me!
Adam Said Galore - Of Lost Roads

Really drat good post rock stuff from Perth, Australia. This was their third release, which came out in 2002. Since then they have lost a member, but continue to play shows every now and then, and there is a new album on the horizon I believe. They're INCREDIBLE live.

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

If these guys do their job I might have my eyes back in as soon as Monday.
There should be some more AUS post-rock in this thread:

Because Of Ghosts - an awesome Melbourne based ambient / experimental band, and, in my opinion, the best of the Australian post rock bands.
http://www.myspace.com/becauseofghostsband

ii - a melbourne duo, their album landlakes is one of the best releases of this year. more pop and experimental than most other bands in this thread...
http://www.myspace.com/iitunes

I prefer Aussie experimental bands, they have much less bombast than their (still awesome) U.S + UK counterparts.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

MMD3 posted:

Here are a few of Portland's finest.
Colt Vista

I taped these guys opening for Bronze Fawn a month or two ago and was impressed with a few of their songs but they really struck me as sort of... novice I guess is the word? Mostly in the sense that their songs didn't seem to have a lot of direction or purpose. To be fair, though, I talked to one of the guys in the band after the show and he said it was their second show so maybe they're still getting a feel for their sound.

But I do remember a few of their songs being totally rocking with really intriguing riffs that made me think "yeah, i like this".

If anyone is interested in hearing the recording: http://iamserio.us/2008/03/14/youmaydieinthedesert-bronze-fawn-2008-03-13/

Also: totally listen to the other two bands. The whole lineup was good actually.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Bucket Joneses posted:

I taped these guys opening for Bronze Fawn a month or two ago and was impressed with a few of their songs but they really struck me as sort of... novice I guess is the word? Mostly in the sense that their songs didn't seem to have a lot of direction or purpose. To be fair, though, I talked to one of the guys in the band after the show and he said it was their second show so maybe they're still getting a feel for their sound.

But I do remember a few of their songs being totally rocking with really intriguing riffs that made me think "yeah, i like this".

If anyone is interested in hearing the recording: http://iamserio.us/2008/03/14/youmaydieinthedesert-bronze-fawn-2008-03-13/

Also: totally listen to the other two bands. The whole lineup was good actually.

the drummer's a good buddy of mine, and yeah, they've only played a handful of shows so far. They've definitely been improving, I'd recommend checking them out again in a month or two. Where was the show you saw them open at? I don't remember bronze fawn but have been to probably 75% of colt vista's shows.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I Hear Sirens have a couple of new songs out, haven't checked it yet though. If you're not familiar with them, here's a clip of them performing their best song - Like A Leaf From A Tree In Its Dying Season

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

MMD3 posted:

the drummer's a good buddy of mine, and yeah, they've only played a handful of shows so far. They've definitely been improving, I'd recommend checking them out again in a month or two. Where was the show you saw them open at? I don't remember bronze fawn but have been to probably 75% of colt vista's shows.

It wasn't in PDX. It was in Seattle.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Any fans of The Six Parts Seven here? They're probably my favorite post rock band, the music's just so intricate and well written that I can find myself phasing out and just staring into space while I'm listening to it. Casually Smashed To Pieces is especially incredible.

I tend to be a fan of more active post-rock than the slower, epic style that most people seem to associate with the genre.

JuanSchwartz
Jul 15, 2004

Hi I'm Buddy-dot-gif

AinSophAur posted:

Explosions are playing live on Austin City Limits right now so if you turn on your tv you can catch their set it just started
I recorded this on my DVR a few months ago and watch it from time to time, if I'm ever in the mood. The energy of Explosions, fully, can really only be felt live, but this does a great job conveying that to the screen. When Munaf throws down his guitar and pulls out a pair of drums sticks and starts wailing on the drums... man. =D

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008
I am currently planning on seeing Grails and Russian Circles play on back to back nights at the Middle East in Boston on June 27th and 28th.

There is also a slight chance I may make the trek to Toronto to see Mogwai on June 30th, however it is quite unlikely.

One more note, I am not sure if they were mentioned previously but Tusla Drone is a good listen for those who have not heard of them yet.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Another one of my friends is in two bands, one being a solo ambient/post-rockish project. He just posted recordings the other night and I think they sound phenomenal.

Here's his music MySpace: The Self-Help Tapes

I saw him play live a couple months ago when he was opening for a band that some of my other friends are in, and the music just sounded completely beautiful. All he had on stage was a guitar, a few pedals, and a Moog. He manipulated it all by himself, and it sounded hundreds of times better than most music I hear with multiple people playing multiple instruments.

Also, if you like Only Everything a whole lot like I do, check out the original version done by his other band BlackBelt under the title "You Can't Forget It".

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Arise meager thread

North is on tour - I'll probably see them in Allston
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=24002587

I think somebody in NMD mentioned being in the band - maybe they could dual headline with Tokyo Police Club and alienate both sets of fans.

Boston:
Caspian at the Paradise Jun 21st, Grails and then Russian Circles next Friday and Saturday

Boris/Torche in July

The new Sigur Ros isn't ethereal like their past work.

Torche is on tour if you like stoner/sludge metal.

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008
Woah wait what, Caspian is at the Paradise on the 21st? Are there still tickets? Holy crap. I loving love Caspian. I am going to try to be there.

Also, I am currently listening to North and may have to come see them as well.

Big Wreck, I think I may love you.

Edit: Yes, tickets are still available. Checking out the other bands right now. I will probably be there. Also, North is all right, but I'm not digging the screaming. If there was none of that I'd be totally down with it. Doesn't really matter anyways because I just realized that I will be back at school in NY when they come to Boston.

JaWs fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 19, 2008

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

JaWs posted:

Woah wait what, Caspian is at the Paradise on the 21st? Are there still tickets? Holy crap. I loving love Caspian. I am going to try to be there.

Also, I am currently listening to North and may have to come see them as well.

Big Wreck, I think I may love you.

Edit: Yes, tickets are still available. Checking out the other bands right now. I will probably be there. Also, North is all right, but I'm not digging the screaming. If there was none of that I'd be totally down with it. Doesn't really matter anyways because I just realized that I will be back at school in NY when they come to Boston.

Caspian will be at the Paradise the 21st of June, in Beverly July 25th (a bit north of Boston) and will play with Yndi Halda Aug 21st at TT The Bear's (Cambridge) and will then gently caress off to Europe for a while.

North is :cool: though

Sigur Ros will be playing in Boston in September as will Mogwai.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Any Tristeza fans here? They make some of the sweetest instrumental rock I've heard in ages. Sometimes mellow, sometimes quirky and electronic, but constantly great. The album Dream Signals in Full Circles is especially worth checking out.

Also, I believe their guitarist, Jimmy La Valle, is better known as the Album Leaf.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Big Wreck posted:

Boston:
Caspian at the Paradise Jun 21st, Grails and then Russian Circles next Friday and Saturday

So many Boston shows, so little time.

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008
I will be at them all. Also, ordered my tickets for Mogwai in Philadelphia this morning. So loving pumped.

JaWs fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 22, 2008

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008
Saw the show at The Paradise last night. It was overall pretty good. I skipped the openers DJ Die Young and Taxpayer because I just wasn't all that interested. Showed up for what appeared to be the start of Hooray for Earth's set. Their music didn't really do anything for me. Not saying it was bad, it just wasn't very good. Now for the two bands that I actually cared about.

Caspian's set was loud. Extremely loud. My ears are still ringing a bit. I unfortunately do not have a setlist because I am just not familiar enough with their songs to be able to pick them out. I do know that they played "Moksha" and I believe "Some Are White Light" was also thrown in there. Overall, I enjoyed my first Caspian show quite a bit. They were definitely intense and played well.

The way they finished their set was excellent. They had a bunch of extra snares set up on the stage and didn't touch them for the entire set. However, their last song ended with each member coming off their respective instrument, grabbing some drumsticks and pounding away on a snare in unison. It was a really awesome sight to behold and a great way to finish.

Eksi Ekso was the headliner. Unfortunately, about half the crowd peaced out after Caspian's tribal drum finish. To those impatient defectors, you missed a real treat. Eksi Ekso put on a much more enjoyable set. While it took them over half an hour to set up after Caspian, it was well worth the wait. The combination of electric violin and viola was awesome. All of the rises, falls and driving crescendos that essentially define post-rock were not accomplished by the guitar, but by the two female fiddlers of Eksi Ekso. It was something I had not really heard before, but wow was it great.

Another plus of their set was that they seemed to have managed their volume much better than Caspian or Hooray for Earth. While the latter two bands were intent on shaking the entire club to its foundation, Eksi Ekso was much more focused on keeping the music enjoyable, allowing you to hear all the instruments come together in one unified, beautiful sound. It really was wonderful.

Looking forward to next week, Grails on Friday and Russian Circles on Saturday, both shows at The Middle East in Boston. From what I've been told, The Middle East is a small place and can be extremely loud. Given that Russian Circles supposedly is deafening to begin with, I think I will be getting some ear plugs in order to enjoy more than just the first song of the show.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Taxpayer put on a stellar cover of "We are the champions" in honor of the Celtics. It was eerie how much the singer sounded like Freddie Mercury.

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008
I am pretty sad I missed that. Oh well. :(

Distant Mist
Apr 22, 2008
I've just started listening to some post-rock, and the reason for this is Long Distance Calling. I don't know enough to compare them exactly to other bands, but just check them out on myspace: http://www.myspace.com/longdistancecalling.
"Aurora" really is one of my favourite songs at the moment...

and if some post metal is also allowed in this thread, I just want to mention how awesome Transmission0 are.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Octavio posted:

Hi, i've recently drifted away from post-rock because I can't find any new bands to get into. Any suggestions would be fantastic, here's my current list of post rock artists.
I always recommend Crippled Black Phoenix because I think they're awesome and underappreciated. Listen to "Goodnight Europe" and any of their other songs on their MySpace and see if it grabs ya....

http://www.myspace.com/crippledblackphoenix

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.
Another two bands which I haven't seen posted in here before are Left, a solo project of Taka from Mono which is a similar style to some of their songs but with shorter tracks and more strings, acoustic guitars and piano, which reminds me of World's End Girlfriend. The other band is another solo artist, Midoriyama, who's music is nothing but a single guitar soaked in effects, who is also apparently a friend of Mono. They're both very different from most of the other post-rock I've heard if you're looking for something new, providing you can find their music anywhere.

xcvb
Mar 17, 2007

suddenlyissoon posted:

Has everyone heard of "EF" yet? I got it recommended to me from CDBaby and drat is it good.

Oh yes. I enjoy the first album a little bit more but both are great.

Any fans of Bark Psychosis and/or Disco Inferno around?

xcvb fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 25, 2008

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008
Last night's show at The Middle East Upstairs had Grails headlining with Nadja and Pontiak opening. I missed the Pontiak set but was there for the last two. This was my first time at The Middle East Upstairs and I actually liked the venue a great deal. It is really small, but despite the size, the volume was just about right. It would have been really easy for the bands to play way too loud, but the levels were well done and enjoyable. On to the music.

I had heard a little bit of Nadja on their Myspace before the concert just to get a taste for what they are like. I wasn't extremely impressed, but I thought they would at least be worth giving a listen. Turns out, I was mildly disappointed. Their set was pretty much the stereotypical shoegaze show. The bassist essentially pretended the audience did not exist, having her back turned almost the entire time. The guitarist was mildly more friendly and engaged, but when being compared to someone who could have been playing from the back room, that's not saying much.

Now, I understand this sort of behavior is to be expected, and I honestly did not mind that much. If the music is good, who cares if the performers are all that engaged? Well, unfortunately, I did not enjoy their music all that much. It sounded like their speakers were caked and mud and it was difficult to pick out the sounds of their instruments. The biggest problem, however, was that all of their songs sounded the same. There was little variety and lots of repetition. All in all, an uninspired showing from Nadja.

Luckily, Grails brought their A- game. I would not say their set was perfect, but it was extremely enjoyable. There were a few moments where they seemed a little out of place, but otherwise they were wonderful. I do not know their songs all that well so I cannot give you any semblance of a set list, however I do believe they played "Silk Road". That was the only song I could pick out, and even then I might have been wrong.

Grails seemed genuinely excited to be playing and certainly had a great deal of energy. I think most of it stemmed from their drummer who was just loving crazy. It was a pleasure seeing and hearing him play. It was also fun to see him and the lead guitarist swap roles for one song to show a little variety. Turns out, the drummer was just as intense on guitar.

I think the best part of the show for me was when I bought a Grails shirt. The guy I purchased it from was extremely appreciative of it, which sort of surprised me. Of course, when Grails came on to play their set, on comes the bassist who turns out to be the guy who sold me the shirt. I thought that was pretty neat and was not something I have experienced at a show before. Grails also stayed after their set and chatted with the audience off stage.

Overall, it was fun to see Grails live and would recommend them to anyone who wants to hear a little bit of a different post-rock sound. I will be seeing Russian Circles tonight at The Middle East Upstairs. I'm going to be skipping both openers because I do not like Daughters at all and neither do any of my friends who will be with me. I will be rocking my Grails t-shirt, though, so if you are at the show, come find me and say hello!

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Pontiak was pretty cool - I am wearing the t-shirt I bought right now. They're not a post-rock band though (are Grails?) but I like slide guitar so... http://www.myspace.com/pontiak

JaWs posted:

I will be seeing Russian Circles tonight at The Middle East Upstairs. I'm going to be skipping both openers because I do not like Daughters at all and neither do any of my friends who will be with me.

Yeah, ditto...

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I'd give anything to see Nadja live.

I wouldn't quite call them shoegaze really, they tend to be pretty drony at the best of times.

It's sad to hear they weren't that "with" the crowd, but yes their music is rather similar.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

JaWs posted:

Grails Nadja Pontiak. Pontiak.

Nadja.

Nadja.

Grails.

Grails.

Grails. Grails. Grails.

Grails. Russian Circles. Daughters. Grails!

Geez, think you could bold more band names? This is all I could see from this entire post.

albear fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 29, 2008

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

albro posted:

Geez, think you could bold more band names? This is all I could see from this entire post.

Shut the gently caress up

MrWeight
Dec 9, 2006

by Ozma
Well I just saw Mogwai last night. They played a few classics and Like Herod but didn't Play Mogwai Fear satan so that was kind of dissapointing.

Theusz Hamtaahk
Jan 8, 2008
Kobaia iss de Hundin

solarp posted:

Any Tristeza fans here? They make some of the sweetest instrumental rock I've heard in ages. Sometimes mellow, sometimes quirky and electronic, but constantly great. The album Dream Signals in Full Circles is especially worth checking out.

Also, I believe their guitarist, Jimmy La Valle, is better known as the Album Leaf.

He also used to do keys and vocals for The Locust.

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008
Russian Circles played The Middle East Upstairs last night. I thought the place was surprisingly full, it was packed much tighter than Grails the previous night. I had already read a few reviews of their live show and knew pretty much what to expect. Every review had three things in common, they don't move around or do much besides play, they play very well and they play very loud. After having seeing the show, I would say that's quite an accurate description.

My friends and I had skipped the openers Daughters and The Austerity Program due to the fact that, after brief listens to their material, they were decidedly awful. Well, maybe they aren't bad, but it was really not our type of music, at all. We showed up at The Middle East right around 11:45 and Russian Circles was on stage only minutes later, nice of them to be punctual (unlike Grails the previous night who took almost half an hour to set up).

Russian Circles came out fast and furious, playing a great selection from their two CDs including Carpe and Harper Lewis. If I'm not mistaken, they finished with my two favorite songs in a row, Youngblood leading into Death Rides a Horse. (Note: I could be wrong about the song titles, but I'm pretty sure I've got them right. I know at the very least they played Youngblood.) As I mentioned earlier, they did not move around much or do anything crazy, but they played solid as all hell.

They did not actually seem all that loud to me, to be honest. Maybe I was still recovering from the show the night before, but I really did not have a problem. However, the levels for the show were extremely well done. I was standing right next to the sound booth and a few guys were giving the engineer some well deserved compliments because everything sounded really great. There was one minor hiccup with guitar feedback in one song, but other than that everything was quite clear.

I highly recommend seeing Russian Circles if you get the chance. They put on a very solid show and really bring out the intensity of their music. Also, seeing what they looked like after listening to them for so long was quite fun. They reminded me a bit of the Dethklok cartoon characters, which was pretty sweet. All in all, good night. I won't be hitting up another show until late July I believe when Caspian plays in Beverly. Looking forward to seeing them at a different venue, I'm hoping they will sound a little better and that I can get a nicer seat.

One last thing: if you're looking for good, cheap pizza before hitting a show, not far from The Middle East is a place called Cinderella's. Their pizza was surprisingly good and hit the spot for my friends and I before the concert.

JaWs fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 29, 2008

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Russian Circles was too short and I almost kicked the crap out of some kid in a red hoodie. Caspian is not playing in Boston in July but a bit north in Beverly...

As far as post-rock stuff goes Gifts from Enola is on tour http://www.myspace.com/giftsfromenola

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008
Whoops, nice catch, Big Wreck. Fixed the Beverly thing in my post.

Also, I agree that the set was short, but I was still satisfied.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

albro posted:

Agreed. Bolding band names in that fashion is ridiculous and useless.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

ShaneB posted:

Agreed. Bolding band names in that fashion is ridiculous and useless.

Forgive me if your post was tongue and cheek but this thread was quite dead for sometime and it would be better to foster more attention towards the upcoming summer tour season and any new bands rather than what you're doing now.

This appears to be the first time you've posted in this thread and I think it would benefit everybody more if you could possibly post more about this nebulous form of music unfortunately labeled 'post-rock' instead of pointing out trivial nuances of someone's writing style. Let's try to make this less pretentious for a change.

So wat u listin' to?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Big Wreck posted:

Forgive me if your post was tongue and cheek but this thread was quite dead for sometime and it would be better to foster more attention towards the upcoming summer tour season and any new bands rather than what you're doing now.

This appears to be the first time you've posted in this thread and I think it would benefit everybody more if you could possibly post more about this nebulous form of music unfortunately labeled 'post-rock' instead of pointing out trivial nuances of someone's writing style. Let's try to make this less pretentious for a change.

So wat u listin' to?

I've been on a post-rock tear lately, actually. I think the best thing I've found is probably The Six Parts Seven. I love their slightly southern influenced sound with the lap guitar, without being southern rock sans vocals. I also enjoy the new Russian Circles, of course. I was told I would really enjoy Mono and World's End Girlfriend, especially their collaboration, but it was 95% the same as GY!BE circa F#A(inf) in the quiet parts, sans sampling. I found it pretty redundant. I also listened to Caspian's release from last year but wasn't blown away or anything. Upcoming listens include Yndi Halda (I listened to most of this but wasn't really paying attention, but wasn't blown away like I thought I would be), Balmorhea (initial listen: awesome), Tulsa Drone, and The World On Higher Downs.

I'm trying to hunt down the more recent Questions In Dialect disc, along with the 2007 release from Disappear House. These are more obscure and I can't find them anywhere.

I still think the post with the same band bolded 8x or so is silly, however.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

That's like killing a unicorn!
e:.

Found Your Answer fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 27, 2023

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Sup Windwaker? I thought you had moved onto other music genre discussions that you were incapable of contributing to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

Spartak posted:

God Is An Astronaut - All Is Violent, All Is Bright - outstanding post-rock stuff with some keyboards thrown in. Really happy and upbeat album, sorta like "Your Hand in Mine" but with keyboards, and an entire album. I haven't been able to find it on LP and I don't think it exists on vinyl :(, I have ordered a copy of Far From Refuge on LP, but I don't like it nearly as much.

If you can find it, their debut album The End of the Beginning is incredible. It just hooks you from start to finish. Anyone who is into God is an Astronaut really needs to check this album out, as most people I've talked to only really know them for All is Violent.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uevKxa6sjFA <-- First track.