Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Guinness posted:

Can you replace the springs?

I believe so. I haven't looked in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Some sweet pictures from this years Karuizawa (more here:http://picasaweb.google.com/brusasan)

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Many of those Miatas are awesome save for the terrible roll bars. They do take their Elan fetish to an absurd level.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

destructo posted:

Some sweet pictures from this years Karuizawa (more here:http://picasaweb.google.com/brusasan)

This yellow and black one looks really awesome to me.

Mr. Tea
Feb 10, 2007

lighten up
What is the width of an NA Miata without mirrors?

Wikipedia says the NA width is 65.9", and I assume that's with mirrors.

I want to see if a Miata will fit through a Sprinter's (unmodified) rear door opening of 61.5".

edit: Spec Miata folks, what's the width or your NA or NB? I guess that's more to the point; does spec allow wide flares?

Mr. Tea fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 24, 2008

x45_dude
Sep 7, 2004

San Dimas High School football rules!
Can I join this thread now? I made the plunge on Saturday, which was the first day of summer. My commute is the best part of my day now.

I had bought a new '99 and kept it for a few years. I loved that car and I decided it was time to have a Miata again. Life is good.

Luxmore
Jun 5, 2001
I am gonna find and punch the guy who decided to put the oil filter all the way down there :argh:

Oct 7, 2005

Luxmore posted:

I am gonna find and punch the guy who decided to put the oil filter all the way down there :argh:

Which model Miata? I was having trouble figuring out how to get mine out last Saturday (1995 - 1.8L). I ended up popping the two fuel lines out of their holder and there was just enough room to get my arm under the intake and to the oil filter. The previous owner had the filter on a bit tight in my opinion, but with some serious finger gripping I was able to get it out. Not a bad day in all. Once I figured out how to jack the drat car up. It's been lowered about 1-1/2" and my jack can't get under the differential. I ended up driving the front end up my ramps, then put two 2x4 boards in a ramp figure in front of the rear wheels. Then I drove the rest of the way up. Once I did that I had enough room to get the jack under the car and put it up on jack stands. Differential received Redline 75-90w, transmission got Redline MTL, and the engine got 4 quarts of Castrol GTX for now. This car just keeps getting better and better. Next in line is my new top. Should be fun.

Luxmore
Jun 5, 2001

794613 posted:

Which model Miata? I was having trouble figuring out how to get mine out last Saturday (1995 - 1.8L). I ended up popping the two fuel lines out of their holder and there was just enough room to get my arm under the intake and to the oil filter. The previous owner had the filter on a bit tight in my opinion, but with some serious finger gripping I was able to get it out. Not a bad day in all. Once I figured out how to jack the drat car up. It's been lowered about 1-1/2" and my jack can't get under the differential. I ended up driving the front end up my ramps, then put two 2x4 boards in a ramp figure in front of the rear wheels. Then I drove the rest of the way up. Once I did that I had enough room to get the jack under the car and put it up on jack stands. Differential received Redline 75-90w, transmission got Redline MTL, and the engine got 4 quarts of Castrol GTX for now. This car just keeps getting better and better. Next in line is my new top. Should be fun.
It's a '97. I ended up unscrewing the plastic panel covering the bottom on the engine and going at it from underneath but argh, what a fiasco.

e: From the Karuizawa post above, this interior is totally boss.

Luxmore fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 24, 2008

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The easiest way to get at the oil filter is by either cranking the wheels all the way to the left, or just removing the front passenger wheel. You can get at it through the wheel well very, very easily. Takes me 15 minutes to do an oil change now.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Ive got pretty big arms/hands and I can just reach down and under (from the top of the engine) just fine, how tight are you guys torquing these things on, haha.

Luxmore
Jun 5, 2001

Schwack posted:

Ive got pretty big arms/hands and I can just reach down and under (from the top of the engine) just fine, how tight are you guys torquing these things on, haha.
The dealer did the last oil change :(

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Schwack posted:

I have tiny hands, and I most definitely cannot even get my hand on the oil filter going at it from the top, let alone actually twist it off and replace it.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Schwack posted:

If you can get your hand in there, then it's not as big as you think it is. I can't force my hand through if my life depended upon it. I have to either get my little brother to do it or borrow the magic filter wrench from my buddy's garage.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

mobn posted:

If you can get your hand in there, then it's not as big as you think it is. I can't force my hand through if my life depended upon it. I have to either get my little brother to do it or borrow the magic filter wrench from my buddy's garage.

http://www.softgoldfurs.com/measure_hand.php

Using these measurements my hand is 10' around and 8' long. Pretty big by there charts, but Im curious to see what kind of monstrous sizes you guys are coming up with, haha.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have huge hands and I can easily get to the filter on my sister-in-law's '95 through the passenger fenderwell.

Strangely, the same trick doesn't work very well for me on our '99 - but that one I can get from the top relatively quickly now that I've done it a few times.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Apr 23, 2005
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Guinness posted:

I have tiny hands, and I most definitely cannot even get my hand on the oil filter going at it from the top, let alone actually twist it off and replace it.

Its possible. I've found that it is easiest if you stand backwards and have the back of your hand facing toward your body and the palm towards the engine when inserting your hand, that way you dont have to twist around as much once you are in there. Oh, and I recommend a glove to protect from hot engine parts. I have large hands and I can do it pretty easily... I think different people have different views on what is impossible and what you just have to take your time on.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX posted:

Its possible. I've found that it is easiest if you stand backwards and have the back of your hand facing toward your body and the palm towards the engine when inserting your hand, that way you dont have to twist around as much once you are in there. Oh, and I recommend a glove to protect from hot engine parts. I have large hands and I can do it pretty easily... I think different people have different views on what is impossible and what you just have to take your time on.

Maybe, but I've found it's a hell of a lot easier to just go through the wheel well. PLENTY of room that way. No contortion acts or careful hand/arm/body placement. I'm already lifting the car up, so it's no difference to me.

jromano
Sep 24, 2007
Yikes, so I just bought a Miata. It was kind of on a whim. I've been looking for a $5000 NA near Philadelphia for the past month or so. I saw one fairly close by on Ebay asking $6000. I called the seller, which turned out to be a small dealer, and the salesman agreed to $5200 with no fees and met me halfway for delivery. I'm going to assume no maintenance has been done besides fresh tires and routine stuff. The guy said it looks perfect, has no leaks in the soft top, and drives great of course.

I've never bought a car sight unseen before, so this was pretty strange. It's a 96 with power windows, locks, cd player, and that jazz. 82,000 miles are on the clock. There's a bunch of high resolution pictures and it looks great from what I can tell. I think they cover the car from every angle. Here are a few of them:

I know it's kind of pointless to ask since I already bought it, but how did I do? I'll be extremely anxious until I pick it up Wednesday. I'll upload some real pictures when I get it if anyone's interested to see how this goes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You did OK. Two problem areas:
1. CAS O-ring, if there's no documentation, put on your working gloves or open up your wallet unless you want coolant pissing all over your header.

2. Softtop, assume it's the same one from 1996. That is 12 years of service, either look into a hardtop or a replacement top.

Either than that, looks good. You got way more car than I did when I bought my first Miata, I paid $4k for a base Montego Blue with a hardtop. I believe you have the B package which includes the Torsen type 2 LSD.

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
That radiator looks the same color my 96 did right before it blew - the plastic on top of the tank is black when new.

And black interior == black top. Though heck, even my tan top has a black headliner. That headliner looks off-white? I'm thinking thats a lot of uv damage - which might be nice, cuz the only way i could think of that happening would be if the previous owner had a hard top.

Engine looks nice and freshly detailed though.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Mr. Tea posted:

...does spec allow wide flares?

No, and you are running a spec sized wheel anyway that fits under the stock fenders.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Help something happened to my Miata!

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain

ultimateforce posted:

Help something happened to my Miata!

Did your scent tree run out of odor ?

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Phone posted:

You did OK. Two problem areas:
1. CAS O-ring, if there's no documentation, put on your working gloves or open up your wallet unless you want coolant pissing all over your header.

Coolant leak? Isn't the CAS ring going to leak oil?
Also, its like a 1 hour fix to replace the ring. Do dealers really rip you off on that or something?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tai-Pan posted:

Coolant leak? Isn't the CAS ring going to leak oil?
Also, its like a 1 hour fix to replace the ring. Do dealers really rip you off on that or something?

When the CAS O-ring fails, you get oil on your heater core hoses...which then fail in a spectacular and obnoxious fashion.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wtf double post

To make this useful, our '99 will finally be getting a new top in the not too distant future, we're making a claim on insurance due to the knifing it got (it was bad before but the knifing was the last straw).

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

jromano posted:

Philadelphia I called the seller, which turned out to be a small dealer,

I know it's kind of pointless to ask since I already bought it, but how did I do?

What's the seller's name? I bought a 96 M Edition last November from a seller that turned out to be a dealer. Just outside Philly, can't remember the town's name. Whats his name?

He included tag and title/notary charges, and listed the sell price as $3000 for tax purposes. Was about $4900 OTD including tax. Granted, that was winter, not prime Miata season. I'd say you got a fair deal.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Apr 23, 2005
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Miata wheels on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270250430598

If you have any questions feel free to email me at kevintc@hotmail.com

jromano
Sep 24, 2007

goku chewbacca posted:

What's the seller's name? I bought a 96 M Edition last November from a seller that turned out to be a dealer. Just outside Philly, can't remember the town's name. Whats his name?

He included tag and title/notary charges, and listed the sell price as $3000 for tax purposes. Was about $4900 OTD including tax. Granted, that was winter, not prime Miata season. I'd say you got a fair deal.

CoolCars AutoSales

It's funny how things work out. That deal fell through, but literally minutes later I found the perfect Miata. A babied 1997 with only 65k miles and a hardtop for $5000 even.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I know you're not asking but if you managed to snag that, that is absolutely a good deal. The hardtop is worth $1k on its own minimum in even rough shape, so you can basically look at that as a $4000 Miata, and that's a drat nice price for that car.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm amazed at the deals you guys can find on Miatas in other parts of the country. That's a $6500 car in my area, at least. Especially in July.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Way better deal, way better. Call up Mazda and see if you have a torsen in there.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Phone posted:

Way better deal, way better. Call up Mazda and see if you have a torsen in there.

If he has leather, he should have the Torsen.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Might be an STO.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Phone posted:

Might be an STO.

I don't remember STOs coming in red.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Whoops, didn't know that it only came in blue, other wise I could have been right. :arghfist::smith:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I just got offered a fully restored 1979 rx-7 that's probably in the best shape of any rx-7 I've ever seen from a friend in a Mercedes dealer. It's pretty much as if it just warped into 2008 from 1979. Anyways, I don't know anything about mazdas and from what I can tell, it looks a little slow.. what do you guys think?

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
Don't know if this a Megathread question, but here goes;

My '91 needs a freon recharge. Normally, I don't care because I always drive with the top down, but I have been driving it more frequently to work and I don't want to arrive sweaty. A freon recharge is $350. [Side note, I remember paying .79 cents a can for this stuff back in the day].

Does anyone have any experience with the r-13 retrofit kits? I have heard everything from "they don't work" to "they work but at about 70% as well as freon".

Any other alternatives? Some people have reported success with propane...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Tai-Pan posted:

Don't know if this a Megathread question, but here goes;

My '91 needs a freon recharge. Normally, I don't care because I always drive with the top down, but I have been driving it more frequently to work and I don't want to arrive sweaty. A freon recharge is $350. [Side note, I remember paying .79 cents a can for this stuff back in the day].

Does anyone have any experience with the r-13 retrofit kits? I have heard everything from "they don't work" to "they work but at about 70% as well as freon".

Any other alternatives? Some people have reported success with propane...

I bought one of the EZ Charge retrofit kits from Kragen last summer right after i bought my car that had 3 cans of r134 in it. Was on sale for like $30 bucks at the time, system took like a can and a half of it and blows really cold now, wasn't cold at all before that. It was still blowing cold last time I used it some months back before i pulled my ps out and lost the belt for it. Mazda stopped making the tensioner for it so I havent got it hooked back up yet :(