Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Zed Xionova posted:

You're missing the space. And I think that you'd be better off seeing the one that has BOTH sides of the conversation, which has oddly enough disappeared from the internet completely. And it basically started because Crowbar didn't enjoy the fact that I abused my ability to summon all the ridiculously strong crap from the surrounding area to converge on him and tear him apart, then he threatened legal action for "in-game death threats", so I figured I'd mess with his head a bit, so he ended up panicking quite a bit. And notice that the chatlog says nothing about paper plates at all.

I figured if I acted like an annoying jackass I'd fit in with the rest of the playerbase.

Besides, I seem to recall a certain Joe and Mservo getting all whiny about me getting my own area too, http://de.pastebin.ca/1060306

It's pretty much why I left, since most of the goons who played were generally the kind that came from the forums that had 4-letter acronym names. Crowbar was generally pretty cool though.

But yeah, things got blown way outta proportion.

As another player on HellMOO, I'd just like to state it did not get blown way outta proportion.

I'm probably the biggest and most notable griefer on Hell at the moment. It's essentially all my character does. I have no material posesssions (that can be stolen), I use claws instead of weapons, and I have a high enough Dodge skill to completely negate any sort of point of armor usage. If people attempt to hide in the cities (protected by the FCPD) I have enough Sneak skill to have a high chance of evading their notice. I won't lie, I've essentially built the PC into a griefing machine. Basically, I can kill people and they have no way of getting back at me.

And on the gamewide chat network (chatnet) I usually poo poo talk random players. I do alot more poo poo talking then actual griefing. I accuse people of puppetmastery, vastly exaggerate my prowess, lie about taking people's things, take responsibility for things I didn't do, all the usual kind of stuff. The admins think I'm a psychopath but love me for it.

But, still, people claim they'll get their revenge. But what revenge can you get on someone who has nothing to take or lose?

Usually newbie characters, or just idiots, think that a naked man is an easy mark. Usually they are, but not when someone has crazy dodge skills and massive claws. Most players know not to gently caress with me, as I usually only grief people who are completely annoying faggots.

Which is what makes the story of Viktor so interesting.

Viktor was a player, Viktor had played for almost as much time as I had. But then, one day, he decided that he would try to take me down. This was hillarious as I struck him down in about three hits.

Wanted by the FCPD as he was, he hid in prison (and sent ingame mail telling me that I couldn't kill him). I walked into prison, killed him, then killed him again when he tried to hide in an area he thought was inaccessable.

He then logged off.

But, I wasn't done with him yet. With the help of several other players, I broke into his corporation office, looted everything that could be and incinerated anything that could not be (and then incinerated the loot anyways). With his place empty, I decided that the office was not nearly decorative enough.

So, it was quickly filled with landmines.

And, as a final laugh, I set my clone tank (when you die in Hell you reclone in a clone tank) to the one located in his private office. Now, if I die, he'll find anymore stuff he has acquired missing.

I logged on today to find that his corporation had essentially self-destructed. It just sucks that I missed the inevitable massive meltdown on Viktor's part. Meltdowns are what I grief for.

The best thing about this is that he knew how badly he would get kicked around.

I've done some other things. Two annoying players attempted to hide in the police station, I got in, killed them all, evaded the notice of about 8 NPC cops, and laughed all the way to the incinerator where I burnt their poo poo to ash. That's one I remember fondly. And while it wasn't griefing, I displayed how much havoc I could wreak one day when three players with AK7 rifles (very powerful PC killing weapons) failed to kill me while I eventually threw their poo poo in the incinerator.

I don't really have anything like Zed's insanity stories, but griefing is my middle name and HellMOO is my game.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 2, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
I think I ended up being banned from that SA GTA roleplaying server like 30 times. Me and my two companions figured out would be the perfect way to mess with some people.

poo poo started out small, like so:

and slamming into people so hard on motorbikes that their drat car flips over, killing them.

Then it somehow turned into stealing bikes from the bikers while they bitched and moaned. Soon this turned into brutally murdering them. Our original gimmick was the "Cereal Killers", so we named our selves poo poo like Ronnie Ricekrispies, etc. As our reputation went down the drain, people would try to kill us on sight and poo poo. Unfortunately for us, when you're kicked or banned, it's usually for what someone said happened rather than what actually happened. Like if someone got spunky and tried to hit us with a car or some poo poo, then got blown the hell up, it was obviously all our fault and we are just killing for no reason (which is against the rules).

Somewhere along the line, poo poo went sour because people are assholes and had to whine to crazed admins... enter first ban wave. Of course this didn't stop our antics, as we all happened to be one router reset away from grief theft auto again.

Our next gimmick was car part names. We were a bit more aggressive this time around, so this is a small glimpse at what happened when we were on.

Us still annoying the poo poo out of the bikers by stealing everything from them.

Notice the police swarming below. They at one point got fed up with driving around below like idiots and sent a helicopter after me, which I rammed and destroyed, which I don't seem to have a picture of, unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure our next ban was when we crashed a funeral for some kid that died or some poo poo. All I have is this picture, but you can catch a glimpse of the hearse in the corner, that is currently off the path because it's being viciously attacked. That officer is indeed running towards me in a valiant attempt to arrest me. I really wish I got a picture of people freaking out after it exploded. This in my opinion, was probably one of the best accomplishments, we had hosed over a major server event and made it out alive.

After some more of our antics and maybe a ban or two, I was struck with a sudden bit of brilliance. When you charged someone for repairing their poo poo or something, I tried to put in a negative amount. This yielded the effect of your money getting subtracted by whatever amount while theirs went up, regardless if you had the money or not. With our enormous (read: infinite) source of wealth that no one could quite figure out, we always had money for anything and everything, including the best possible weapons, further tipping the scales our way.

Of course getting thrown in jail didn't matter since I had figured a way out of it anyway.

The admins and police force clearly fed up with us.

Finally, we decided to roleplay vampires. This went sour and we ended up getting into a huge firefight with some kids that could barely speak English. After killing them numerous times, being the rear end in a top hat I am, I decided to whine to the admins about them breaking some rules. As one would expect, they were swiftly banned... followed by us also getting the ban hammer.

All in all, I wish I got more pictures of our spree. There would have been enough footage to make a full length movie. From carbombing police cruisers that were hauling one of us to jail, to landing / crashing planes in front of the police department. We had blown up 'party busses' filled with small masses of people, and had slain admins in their top secret area that they teleported you to, often to say goodbye. Sending jetliners soaring into crowds of people, starting riots in front of the police department, oh it was glorious indeed.

Tons of drama, tons of fun, tons of what the gently caress. Once or twice, a few idiots got caught cybering somewhere who were probably both dudes IRL and poo poo, which makes it even weirder.

slovach fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 2, 2008

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Ah, HellMOO. I have a habit of starting and quitting again. I never got tough enough to do anything griefy, and getting there was too boring. Last time I played, I found a passed out newbie and robbed all his stuff. Among his items was something that shouldn't even be in the game, a super powered nanite healer with hundreds of charges. I made the mistake of mentioning it in chat, and it was taken away from me. I'm just glad I took something cool from a newbie.

Edit: I have to agree, Zed is a cock. I think he stole my death suit. Joke's on him though, those things knock you out. In fact, that's how I got it. I stole it from another unconscious player called Gill, I believe.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

slovach posted:

SA RP stuff

Haha, I have some amazing stories from this server. One of my favorites was where a couple of my buddies and I went and got a bunch of bicycles with the soul purpose of harassing people. We found the nearest cop patrolling and starting bouncing up and down off the hood of his car. Over and over again. It went on like this for about a minute as the cop was trying to act like we weren't there. Eventually, he turns on his lights and gets out of his car, and we all SCATTER in different directions. He tries to chase us, but eventually we lose sight of him. As soon as he gets back in his car, we all come back and swarm his vehicle and start jumping up and down on his car again. And then this happened:

"You were banned. Reason: road."

Noteworthy scenery
Jan 9, 2007

MiF posted:

At this point, the whole thing was run by me and a second person who will be referred to "Joe" from now on, as well as whatever minions we could get to bring the loot back home. That's right, we were an evil organization with minions and everything. We even bought a huge custom-built fortress in the mountains with everything you could think of for corp(the clan/guild equivalent of HellMOO). Known as Fort Enema, it had everything you could think of from clone vats(respawn/character saving points) to research stations(expensive machines used to discover crafting items).

I still have my 'Robbed by ENEMA' t-shirt.

Zed Xionova
Jun 9, 2007
Debi debi debi.
What I want to know is why I'm the cock when I never actually did any griefing on a major basis, and all things considered, being a general dick to someone was actually encouraged by the hellmoo devs.

I probably wouldn't have fallen to such lows if it wasn't for the fact that early on in when I was playing, before I was a member here, I was basically targeted by the major griefing group at the time, JEWS. I was pretty desperate to fit in, and basically would bend over backwards to try to appeal to the essentially exclusively goon group. But they always just found ways to trick me into either giving me their stuff, or generally just wasting my time, although at the beginning, barfkong was pretty cool.

By the time I finally became a member here, I'd already was to far down the respect ladder to actually deserve respect from any other SA members, and generally was frustrated by that. Sure, I was annoying, and possibly a bit stupid at times, but I wasn't a large-scale dick to people. I actually did make an attempt to get along with people, although by that time my ability to trust people had been pretty broken.

I'm not saying they're wrong, I'm just tired of them constantly bringing up what they did to me nearly a year ago in a game that very few people now play. I mean, in nearly all of the victims of griefing in this topic are generally anonymous pubbies, and in the few exceptions, the griefers regretted it later. But he made no effort to hide my identity, and I find that pretty callous.

And I'd like to add, you'd be pretty frustrated too if the people who griefed you followed you from game to game and made a concious effort to ruin your time, a few of the members of the major griefing groups also ended up playing on Tsunami, a mud that previously had a topic here, and Space Station 13, a game which has a lot of potential for griefing, but discouraged it from a game-to-game basis.

In short, I was an internet retard, ended up pissing up a few people, got really frustrated, said the wrong things, and now have to regret the actions I made in a game whose devteam did most of their coding while high because this poo poo ends up following me everywhere. But I would like to add I have no issues with griefing in general and actually find this topic incredibly entertaining and I wish I was as good at it as these people were.

That's all the venting I needed to do, please continue with this wonderful topic.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Zed Xionova posted:

:words:

Why don't you go chew a paper plate about it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

CrushedB posted:

I'm surprised that none of the victims have posted in this thread to confront their griefers.

Zed Xionova posted:

:shivdurf:

Less drama, more griefing. This thread prompted me to get Second Life and create a huge fat avatar which I eventually intend to annoy people with. So far it's pretty dull though.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Diogines posted:

In the MMO Asherons Call there was an area called Fort Teth...

Holy crap, one of my high-level guildmates took me to Teth a couple of days before that happened and I logged in right in the middle of the bloodbath. I think I was level 30? I almost pissed myself it was so funny.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Zed Xionova posted:

people who griefed you followed you from game to game and made a concious effort to ruin your time

Use a different name or something, and keep your yap shut about where you go online. It's not that hard to stop yourself from getting tracked around online. Also have you ever thought maybe it's your reactions which makes griefers treat you like a walking goldmine?

On the topic of Space Station 13, I don't usually grief on the goon servers (except when the current game has me excessively bored to poo poo) but griefing on pubs is brilliant for some of the reactions you get. Playing SS13 legit is boring pretty much 7 times out of 10, whereas griefing is nearly always fun.

One paticular time I was trying to start the engine, and some "demon" or other starts loving around trying to help with everything I do, but in the most oafish and obstructive manner possible ("My way is the only right way" kinda guy). I try to start the engine in a way that gives way more power, he tells me i'm doing it wrong, tazes me and tries to start the engine by filling the chamber with gas and not igniting it. After putting it right when he decided to leave, I go to medical research and start fiddling around with the test subject DNA. He turns up and decides his experiment is way better, and somehow manages to permanently break the DNA computer while I was working with it.
So I decide enough was enough - I knocked him down, injected him with about two syringes full of sleeping drugs, welded him into a locker and surrounded the locker with reinforced walls. He starts screaming about what a "majure n00b" I am and basically won't shut up - I respond by opening a bit of the wall up, throwing a bomb in, resealing the wall and detonating the bomb. He wasn't too pleased about that.

Another time I walled off engineering completley to prevent the clueless pubs from messing with the engine (it usually involved them unwittingly incinerating themselves, but in the process robbing the station of power), which resulted in the pub admin getting very pissed off when someone threw him down the garbage chute and he ended up walled into the trash compactor unable to escape. Cue massive rant about how, and I quote, "You have NO RIGHT to ruin MY playing experience".
On that note, SS13 pub admins are grief goldmines as far as reactions go. I remember joining one game where the admins had been setting something up apparently for hours - an "arena" which they planned to teleport every player to when it was finished and have them fight it out to the death. Which, under anyone else's guidance possibly wouldn't have been too bad an idea - but since SS13 pub admins are so utterly anal about everything it results in them being officious dicks over the OOC channel and pissing all the pub players off with choice lines like "This is OUR server and if we say you are going to play arena, you WILL do it."

Said admins were not best pleased about it when someone started a restart vote which ended in a "Yes" vote, restarting the server and sweeping away the alledged hours of work instantly. The kicker? Admins have the ability to cancel or suspend any vote the players propose - and these ones apparently didn't realise it. Their response? Preventing all players from speaking and going on a huge tirade about how "We will find out whoever voted yes and you WILL be punished for it". Gotta love democracy.

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

I shouldn't trust the phones. They're full of gas.

Nostratic posted:

Holy crap, one of my high-level guildmates took me to Teth a couple of days before that happened and I logged in right in the middle of the bloodbath. I think I was level 30? I almost pissed myself it was so funny.

The best griefing that ever took place in the original Asheron's Call, bar none, was the statue raid patch that the devs put in.

For those not lucky enough to be around at the time, any worthwhile weapons or armor in the game were found randomly generated from rare drops. The random generation factor meant that for every really truly good piece of armor with useful stats, you'd get ten or twelve almost uber pieces that were just too good to throw away but that were going to take quite awhile to sell. Since everything had a weight, encumerance would slow you down to a crawl, and a fair amount of the good stuff was pretty heavy, you'd offload the things you planned on selling to a secondary character and leave them logged into a major trade city.

Buffs in this game were also rather overpowering, and a level one with a full set of creature and item buffs could kill at ten times the rate that his unbuffed friend could manage. This meant that if you even looked like you might have magical skills, you received a flood of "buffs pls???" every time you walked into town. Then came the Statue Patch. A number of animated, targetable (but not attackable) statues appeared in every town, casting relatively low-level but still appreciated buffs on lowbies and their weapons. There was great rejoicing all around, and the tide of "buffs pls???" slowed, even if it never quite went away.

Then, a patch or two later, the statues disappeared, leaving the base of the statue behind. We shrugged our collective shoulders and went on with life. Trade cities were still a tidal wave of spam from 300%-encumbered trade mules and there were still lowbies running to the major hubs just to beg for buffs.

Then, abruptly, hundred-yard tall versions of the statues spawned en masse in the major cities and went on a killing rampage. If you happened to be the odd combat-capable character in a trade city it was a pretty fun experience since a fully-buffed high-level character in that game was an untouchable golden god, but it was a bit traumatic for the level 1 traders since -- as people have mentioned before -- you left the most valuable items you were carrying on your corpse when you died. I still think of that day sometimes and smile. The streets of Q'alabar, covered in corpses, were beautiful.

Oct 4, 2005

Anjow posted:

Less drama, more griefing. This thread prompted me to get Second Life and create a huge fat avatar which I eventually intend to annoy people with. So far it's pretty dull though.

Yep sounds pretty much like me a few years ago, got on second life with an aim to annoy, made a fat avatar, got board, BUT then I found the gorean sections! Heres a (badly writen) account of my time on second life:

Goreans part one
http://forumite.com/Horrors.php?subaction=showfull&id=1164213133&archive=&start_from=&ucat=5&

Goreans part two
http://forumite.com/Horrors.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1165498021&archive=&start_from=&ucat=5&

Some nightclub that closed when the owners fell out
http://forumite.com/Horrors.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1168641706&archive=&start_from=&ucat=5&

Handing out mini guns at a riot
http://forumite.com/Horrors.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1171633707&archive=&start_from=&ucat=5&

Sorry the sites mostly broken

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Going to have to post the story of Da Troll Maf'ya from EQ on Rallos Zek, the PvP server.

So in Everquest, there are two races of good Elves, both of which start in the same newbie area. Since the majority of newbies, girls, and 12-year-olds choose some sort of Elf, the area surrounding these towns is a hotbed of terrible and failed dreams.

The first newbie dungeon off this zone is called Clan Crushbone. This orc-filled keep is where all the little elves go to die in droves, earn their wings, get attacked by Dark Elf PCs who don't get attacked by the orcs, and generally learn the comradery that will result in them growing up to be goodly anti-pks in raiding guilds with spotless records and no PvP skills whatsoever.

When the Beastlord class was introduced with a specific expansion, my friend and I discovered that a 2 naked level 14 Troll beastlords could kill almost any number of poorly-geared opponents. The level 14 pet was essentially broken and could destroy anyone without amazing resists completely unaided; having two of such pets meant that the individuals would not make it to a zone line.

This, combined with us being naked and thus able to bind rush at whatever rate we liked, meant that Clan Crushbone was soon completely sealed off to the newbie Elves, with anyone entering losing what little gear they had acquired. This wasn't that uncommon, since whenever a notable PK rolled through the place would be cleared out. We had a few things going for us, however, that made our position unique:

1. We had nothing to lose but were extremely dangerous. This made even other PKs have to worry about us, as they might lose gear if we landed a lucky round or two.

2. We were there ALL THE TIME. Nothing to do after classes today? Log in, idle in Crushbone. We didn't go anywhere else with the characters because we weren't looking for gear.

3. We started taking loyalty oaths. This was our crowing achievement, really. Eventually after killing the same Elf Ranger about 10 times, he started the standard begging/threatening/whining process to get his corpse back and be allowed to level in the zone. Feeling magnamonious, I offered to let him do so, on one condition: he be at our beck and call in the future. If he swore allegiance to his troll masters, he would be expected to attack ANYONE we mentioned in OOC chat without questioning the orders... but he would otherwise be protected. Anyone attacking him would be hunted down and killed.

He quickly accepted the offer.

A few minutes later, as he was looting the corpse, a female Wood Elf Druid ran by. I shouted out her name, not really expecting much, and threw my pet at her.

The Ranger stopped looting, snared her, and threw himself against her. She died to my pet within moments.

A few minutes later I recieved a tell from the druid, begging to be allowed to XP in the zone. I offered her the same deal as the Ranger: swear loyalty, kill her brethren, and have protection. She accepted, grouped with the Ranger, and they ran off to happily level.

Over the course of the next month or so, Da Troll Maf'ya wrested control of Clan Crushbone and held it with an iron fist. Anyone not sworn in was assaulted the moment they entered by anyone present, with huge blobs of newbies slaughtering new arrivals before the zone had finished loading. Anyone could call out a target and everyone was required to contribute to the slaughter. There were only two acceptable factions: Member, or Enemy.

A hilarious side result of Da Troll Maf'ya was that it made the zone incredibly safe from PKs. For the first time a large group of newbies was coralled under a clear directive that emphasized awareness, group tactics, and aggressive PvP. While a well-geared PK was completely unstoppable by even an entire zone of unorganized, naked newbies, 5 Elves and 2 Trolls simultaneously beating on a single character was enough to threaten even the very best. Da Troll Maf'ya was eventually hailed by its members for being the key to their safety and success - and anything they looted while protecting the zone was theirs to keep, so even the greedy closet PKs were happy. The newbies even learned bits and pieces about how to properly PvP, and certainly learned to be more aware and active in defense of their persons. Everone won in the end! ...well, everyone who had sworn loyalty won. Those who didn't were corpse camped by an entire zone.

Long story short: Took over a newbie zone, forced loyalty oaths, forced newbies to kill each other, eventually hailed as protectors and saviours for our racket.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 2, 2008

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Soulpudding posted:

Da Troll Maf'ya

That was great, do you have any more tales or screenshots from this era?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

TTones posted:

That was great, do you have any more tales or screenshots from this era?

I don't think I have any screenshots, but I have plenty more tales and some good quotes. The guy i killed so much that he bit a chunk out of his hand is probably my favorite, he had to get stitches but we ended up being cool later. Also weapon killing rampages, delevelling people by dispelling charmed pets for hours at a time, knocking people off the tree city, and other fun times.

One of the most hilarious griefs, however, was when I figured out how to bug out nearly the entire Plane of Justice.

The PoJ was the lowest-level Planar zone that you could enter, starting at lvl 46. It was the BEST xp zone in the game as soon as you could get there, and despite mobs hitting quite hard was incredibly easy to camp. The main two camps were literally 20 steps away from the zone exit, most mobs were non-agro and non-social, and spawns were predictable single pulls. The zone even counted as an outdoor area, so Spirit of Wolf and other spells worked, increasing player survivability. It was a pure, simple grinding zone. It also had some incredibly fun PvP possibilities, with multiple levels, corridors, rooms, and line-of-sight options to utilize. The only real problem was that it was way too easy to get out of trouble by simply zoning out to a safe area.

Now, I mentioned that most of the mobs were non-social and non-agro. This is ALMOST true, and for people that stay around the main camps will generally be the case. However, there are several factions and several areas filled with agro mobs in the zone that most players never see, or that never have cause to interact with each other. Taken as a whole, an extremely large percentage of the zone is social, and in many cases agro mobs are social with non-agro mobs, so it is possible to chain agro and grab a train of otherwise peaceful mobs without attacking them yourself.

On its own, this has very little practical application, as you would have to run around for quite some time, go deep into the dungeon, gather up mobs, etc. as per a normal train, and this would really be no more useful than grabbing a train in any other zone. However, there was a weird bug in the Plane of Justice that allowed you to cause bizzarre aggro chains without ever going down past the main level, and without ever seeing a hostile mob.

For some reason, faction was bugged in the PoJ, in that if you used a faction modifying spell on an NPC enough it would permanantly bug to be friendly with you until you left the zone. This wasn't unusual, and was used all the time to make NPCs aid players in PvP combat. But in the PoJ, when a friendly NPC was fighting to help you, he would sometimes bug out his social agro radius... to start catching a specific NPC many, many floor below him. For some reason, this NPC would then prox agro whoever had used the faction bug.

I never figured out exactly what NPC would trigger the whole mess, but if I did it right and ran my friendly NPC in the right circuit on the main level, about 10-15 minutes later the hall would darken. Anyone not facing the correct direction would be suddenly railroaded as approximately 30-40 NPCs (virtually EVERYTHING from the 2-3 floors below) would barrel down the hallway and murder anyone in sight. The massive train included mobs that KOSed everyone, were social with the main faction of NPCs, who were social with the Guards and Rats, and so on. The train would hit hard enough to kill most average-geared players instantly: a slightly higher-level player in excellent gear, such as myself, could probably make it to the door if they had a speed enchantment active and didn't get chain stunned.

The most hilarious part of the process was that the train arrived at a fairly predictable interval after the faction bugging and would kill EVERYONE it encountered. Since the two main camps were right next to the zone out, it meant I knew exactly where to find everyone in zone and could leave the moment I got in any serious danger while still being able to safely watch the carnage unfold. There was absolutely no warning to the train, no messages broadcast, nothing... just a 10-15 minute wait period after the initial circuit you made with your bugged buddy, and then death.

God, that bug was fun. I don't know if anyone else ever figured it out.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 2, 2008

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Soulpudding posted:

The guy i killed so much that he bit a chunk out of his hand

This is why I really don't loving like MMOs anymore. People actually get to this level of hosed up, and not just in terms of self-harm - but it still unnerves me that it makes people act like that (Case in point, that one RL murder cos of Legend of Mir). This all said, they are essentially the best griefing grounds due to the sheer amount of people taking them so seriously.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Soulpudding posted:

Long story short: Took over a newbie zone, forced loyalty oaths, forced newbies to kill each other, eventually hailed as protectors and saviours for our racket.
I love dual purpose things like this. It's griefing, but in the end the "victims" end up becoming better people because of it.

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!

1965917 posted:

Yep sounds pretty much like me a few years ago, got on second life with an aim to annoy, made a fat avatar, got board, BUT then I found the gorean sections! Heres a (badly writen) account of my time on second life:

Goreans part one
http://forumite.com/Horrors.php?subaction=showfull&id=1164213133&archive=&start_from=&ucat=5&

Goreans part two
http://forumite.com/Horrors.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1165498021&archive=&start_from=&ucat=5&

Some nightclub that closed when the owners fell out
http://forumite.com/Horrors.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1168641706&archive=&start_from=&ucat=5&

Handing out mini guns at a riot
http://forumite.com/Horrors.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1171633707&archive=&start_from=&ucat=5&

Sorry the sites mostly broken

Holy crap. Very entertaining. It seems that you can't go for more than 40 feet without seeing some loving crazy poo poo in there. loving creepy. You can blame the furries and the BDSM people. I am sure in real life there are the people that use dish rags as whips while wears a tail.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Sestze posted:

I love dual purpose things like this. It's griefing, but in the end the "victims" end up becoming better people because of it.

Yeah, I really like to think we taught them to protect themselves. Or at least to steal each others' pants.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
The web game 'urban dead' has great griefing potential for a couple reasons. The first is that the game has a small section of the community that is very active, takes the game very seriously, and posts frequently on the game's wiki. The second is that the game rules make it much easier to PK humans than to kill zombies.

A small group of us found a small guild/faction/whatever called the 'crossman defence force', dedicated to protecting a small section of land in the game. It was run by a particularly zealous leader named Amazing who took the game incredibly seriously - he even drew fan art (for a text-only game). The best part about the game is that the turns come from waiting in real time, so if someone murders you it can take several hours before you can move again (since you have to walk somewhere to get rezzed)

We spent about 2 months griefing the hell out of them, vandalizing their wiki page, etc. They made it so easy on us - they had their own private forum for discussing 'tactics' that would often indicate their locations, but the forum was completely open for viewing by the public - we always knew where they were so we could murder them constantly. They also fought back pretty hardcore against us on the wiki vandalization - and we got Amazing banned because of it.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Soulpudding posted:

Yeah, I really like to think we taught them to protect themselves. Or at least to steal each others' pants.

In the end, isn't that what life is all about? :patriot:

Boyz Scout
Nov 3, 2006

No more pigeon rubbing? Life in the vault is about to change...

Isometric Bacon posted:

Holy cow. This is to loving good, man.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
^^^^^ Some seriously heroic poo poo, Isometric Bacon. You're an amazing human being and I love you dearly.

I Said No posted:

This is why I really don't loving like MMOs anymore. People actually get to this level of hosed up, and not just in terms of self-harm - but it still unnerves me that it makes people act like that (Case in point, that one RL murder cos of Legend of Mir). This all said, they are essentially the best griefing grounds due to the sheer amount of people taking them so seriously.

I really think it's hilarious and I only play games with good PvP anyway, so it doesn't bug me in the slightest. Screwing with assholes is awesome and I could do it all day, every day, and be perfectly happy.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Isometric Bacon posted:

But enough about that poo poo, I probably have enough Second Life stories to start a separate thread

please please please

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
All of this HellMOO talk is nothing; JEWS is where it was at, the original OGs, and I knocked out so many people with thrown televisions and robbed them before they woke that they nerfed throwing as a whole and then made it illegal. I also took out Kitty and her friends that were having a tea party in the front of the orphanage and irradiated the starting zone with a porta-nuke that I gave to her as a present.

It is strange, though, that not a single mention has been made of the fact that you could rape people, and that rape was an integral part of the game, giving you combat bonuses.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

I Said No posted:

SS13

Goon servers get hilarious when the game is boring. Last night someone was getting annoying with other players touching the engines, so he set the engineering part on fire and started tunneling through the walls to get around the firelocks, carrying plasma tanks around with him and ended up incinerating half the station until someone else donned a firesuit, clubbed him to death with a tool box, stripped his body so it would burn, then turned him into a monkey and welded his corpse into a locker. After that they ejected the locker into space.

We also played a game where AI recognized only N20 gas as God and the chaplain attempted to release it into the entire station. Eventually his followers started tying people to chairs and giving them low oxygen tanks so they would have a few moments to beg while followers said "SHHHHH IT WILL BE OVER SOON" and sacrifice them to the N20 God. Someone tried to purge the N20 with plasma but died when an N20 follower ignited the plasma and burned down half the station.

Gleng
Jun 23, 2004

48KB of Infinite Boobs

Isometric Bacon posted:

gently caress me, that's hilarious.

I now understand Second Life. It's about twatting around in public with no consequences. This thread has made me dig out the character I set up a few years ago.

Edit: Setting up a new character...

Gleng fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 2, 2008

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
So what's the way to meet up with goons in Second Life? I see there is a client for my preferred communist operating system, and since I don't have any obligatory work for a few months I might as well check it out.

GenericEric
Dec 1, 2005

A rare goon appeared!
If you're just starting out on your very first session of the wonderful magically hideous world of Second Life, complete the basic tutorial (It's required, sorry) and once you are teleported out of there you will obtain teleport access to practically anywhere on the network. From there you can open the Map window and see all the "sims" (servers that are divided into large pieces of land) that are out there. Each one has a name, and if you're looking to find other goons to help get you started, you simply type "what" into the search box, and teleport.

http://w-hat.com/faq
Here's an faq page that'll deal with a lot of questions...including the ones about signing up, and also shed some history about what the group has been up to.

...And to make sure not to derail too badly, here's a video of a one Dork457 did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YKFiQQblsU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Isometric Bacon posted:

I'm one of the few people who can say they virtually raped the President of Nintendo.
Hahaha man I knew I subscribed to this thread for a reason

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
This is nothing remotely close to the levels of awesome of some of you guys, but my roommate and I used to play the rocket race mode on Halo 3. The way it works, for those who don't know, is there are four two-player teams. Each team starts with a Mongoose, and every player has a rocket launcher. You are completely invincible in this game mode, with one exception. Getting melee'd to the back of the head will still kill you.

The point of the game is to race to a checkpoint, and when you get there, you get a point and the checkpoint moves. What we did, was look for any other team that was using mics, and gently caress with them. We'd camp at a checkpoint off of our mongoose, and as they rolled towards us, we'd rocket the gently caress out of their mongoose until it turn upside down and booted them off. Then we would assassinate them using teamwork, it could be a little difficult sometimes. Now when you die in rocket race, it doesn't spawn you across the map, it spawns you maybe 50 feet from where you died. So we would assassinate these people OVER AND OVER AND OVER till the map was done. A cool feature of Halo 3, is that when a member of another team is near you and uses their mic, you can hear what they are saying to teammates. Me and my roommate of course had our mics plugged in and laughed our asses off the entire game, AND we could hear them saying poo poo like "OH gently caress THEY FOUND US AGAIN" and "gently caress YOU GUYS STOP IT PLEASE"

It was a good time.

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

MiF posted:

Of course, all this led to hilarious amounts of seperate drama. If there's interest, I can post more about subjects such as The Suicidal Midget, The Blind Menace, Joe's 15-Year Old Stalker and Kitty The Fat Vampire.

I would like to hear more of these stories, seeing as though they got at least one person to nigh-on break down over it. :)

Moetic Justice
Feb 14, 2004

by Fistgrrl

JawnV6 posted:

There's a guy on nethack.alt.org (ironme?) who just rerolls wizards until he gets a scroll of genocide, curses it, then engraves his name and uses the scroll to summon a bunch of ridiculously hard monsters on floor 2 or 3 of the dungeon. Nethack has "bones" files that save a floor and use it in someone else's game, so he basically screws over some other player with impossibly hard monsters right at the start of their game when they hit his bones. For what's essentially a single player game, it's a really creative way to grief others.

The joke's on him - floors 1-3 never leave bones.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Jungle Bus posted:

The joke's on him - floors 1-3 never leave bones.

He went lower than that, and he left a lot of bones with Lichs/Mintaurs/Mind Flayers that were basically instakills for anyone going down the stairs.

Parkour Lewis
Apr 10, 2002

Yes I wanna play.
I really really do.
There's a decent base for griefing in GTA4 multiplayer. I've been on the receiving end of it, mostly, but I've done a bit myself, when some jackass pisses me off. Most of the (uninspired) griefing generally has to do with grenades and helicopters/cars in co-op mode, or shooting at your teammate's cars in Cops & Crooks or Team Mafiya Work until they catch fire and the drivers/passengers have to bail out or die. But co-op is where you get the REALLY angsty griefing victims, because it's usually someone grinding Hangman's NOOSE 900 times over and over to try to get to rank ten. that number is not an exaggeration.

As much as it still annoys me to have it done to me, I still have to laugh at some of the true internet RAGE in Hangman's NOOSE when the chopper pilot finally lands to pick up Petrovic and some guy tosses a grenade at it, essentially throwing the whole mission into screaming, sputtering, swearing chaos. Or my favorite thing to do is when some low-rank newbie 12-year-old kid starts screaming out orders to everyone and being an rear end, I'll make sure I'm flying the chopper, then land on top of a skyscraper, yell that it's on fire and about to explode (sometimes it's buggy and not all players can accurately see the damage a vehicle's taken) and when he jumps out I'll fly away and leave the stupid bastard up there, listening to their dumbfounded, angry protests until they finally suicide off the top of the building, steal a car and drive back, assuming they weren't on their last life.

And people simply driving in reverse around a race circuit seems to elicit the worst-thought-out insults I have ever heard in my life. If traffic is turned on, and the squawking idiots are particularly annoying that night, I'll try to get another griefer to stop with me in the middle of a bridge or intersection, blocking traffic and building up a traffic jam as far back as we can, lying in wait for the other guys' supercars to try to scream through a turn and suddenly crash into 20 cars stuck in gridlock.

There aren't a lot of ways to really grief in Free Mode unless you're pretty creative. If people are trying to set up some kind of custom game or contest you can easily screw them up with a rocket launcher or helicopter crash, or when people are being howling dicks over voice chat, I'll grab a chopper and ask people if they want to see a made-up easter egg somewhere or other, then fly them way out in the water and ditch the chopper, making them have to spend twenty minutes swimming back to shore, since you can't drown yourself or otherwise suicide in the water.

Edit: Also, to add to the Second Life griefing stories, the best thing I ever did during my short stint in SL was to create an avatar that was nothing but an impossibly skinny stickman with a giant eyeball for a head, and go to popular hangouts or newbie areas and just follow people around until they got uneasy and started yelling, "Stop STARING AT ME" or "LEAVE ME ALOOOOONE". If they were ever brave enough to actually try to talk to me I'd only reply with "Do you have any Visine?"

Parkour Lewis fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 3, 2008

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

GenericEric posted:

...And to make sure not to derail too badly, here's a video of a one Dork457 did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YKFiQQblsU

Oh my god. The buildup for this and the ladies cheesy voice, so beautiful. We really need a thread full of stuff like this. Videos just make it all 1000 times better for people like me who've never played these games before.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Oh man, HellMOO. I never knew that stuff about Zed (kinda odd since I usually hung out with he and his friends IC, I was never that much into the game though) but I still remember when Joe completely robbed my apartment. It really hit home for me because I had some customized quest weapon in there, along with a one-of-a-kind trading card of my character given to me by one of the admins (who were usually pretty cool, I remember getting paid by the same admin to get in a paint-huffing contest with another player)... and since I barely ever played the game I knew training up to beat Joe and get my stuff back really wasn't an option (my character couldn't even climb walls, which was a big part of the game) that probably made the most difference in my quitting HellMOO.

I've tried to get back into it a couple times, but nobody really plays any more.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

eggyolk posted:

Oh my god. The buildup for this and the ladies cheesy voice, so beautiful. We really need a thread full of stuff like this. Videos just make it all 1000 times better for people like me who've never played these games before.

I've been trying for a while now, but I can't find the SA Free Hugs video.

Basically people brought the Free Hugs movement to Second Life. So a goon made a naked, fat guy avatar with a 6 ft by ft 6ft flopping dick walking around with a giant free hugs sign.

He didn't get many hugs.

Crash Bandicoot
Feb 23, 2007

by T. Fine
I'm fairly sure that me and some friends were directly responsible for the limits on buying pets in Ultima Online. A poster from Stratics.com was hosting a semi-roleplay "nightclub" event in her castle and we showed up only to be banned minutes later. We discovered that if you recall back into the grassy area which is surrounded by a castle but not actually part of the castle, you can open the inner doors and get back in. If they re-ban you, you show up on the ban list twice, eventually filling it leaving them unable to ban anybody.

When bored of this, everybody went to a stable master NPC and bought 20 cats/dogs/rabbits etc, and then stood outside giving commands to all of them, moving them around and making them follow orders. Around this point the entire server started lagging horrendously, and login problems started happening. Eventually someone cast chain lightning, a spell which damages everything in an area, one thing at a time. It took about five minutes for a single chain lighning spell to finish, and we were all casting it. At that point I was logged off the server and couldn't log back on. Other people reported the same thing, so I think we crashed or deadlocked the subserver.

A day or so later a small patch was added limiting how many pets you could buy at once. It's not as imaginative or amusing as some of the stories but I was impressed by the effect it had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IroncladTomato
Oct 29, 2007

"Let me tell you the story of a henchman named Speedy..."

Soulpudding posted:

amazingness

Between this, Zed and the SL stories, this is the best thread I've ever seen in Games.

• Locked thread