Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

Crash Bandicoot posted:

I'm fairly sure that me and some friends were directly responsible for the limits on buying pets in Ultima Online.

You weren't the only one that had that idea. Someone tamed a crapload of gorillas, named them "I CAUSE LAG" and released them in Britain. At the time it actually did cause lag...I remember hearing stories about people using recall runes to go across town so they wouldn't have run in the lag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YancyDCjew
Feb 28, 2002

My name's Spagett, I do parties, and you just take my card, and if you need someone to spook ya-

GenericEric posted:

...And to make sure not to derail too badly, here's a video of a one Dork457 did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YKFiQQblsU

Jesus, that's funny. The really imaginative griefs that take a lot of planning and effort are hilarious, but the simplicity of this one is really funny. The poor chick had no idea what was going on.

Crash Bandicoot
Feb 23, 2007

by T. Fine

The Remote Viewer posted:

You weren't the only one that had that idea. Someone tamed a crapload of gorillas, named them "I CAUSE LAG" and released them in Britain. At the time it actually did cause lag...I remember hearing stories about people using recall runes to go across town so they wouldn't have run in the lag.

Fair enough then, it's not the most original idea so it's entirely possible they added the fix to stop people being assholes globally. I definitely remember the shard crash though, that would have gotten their attention.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Would hundreds of people in red robes named 'BAJA IS DOWN' popping up in Britain on Lake Superior count as grief, or merely mass stupidity?

Rudiger
May 2, 2007

by Fistgrrl

bacon! posted:

Urban Dead

I had a ton of fun playing that game for about two months, I almost got banned from the wiki and one of the admins went nuts on me, calling for a permaban of me because I wrote "Has tons of sand in his vagina" under the "Player opinions" of a player's userpage.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
One of the nastiest ways to grief someone in EQ PvP was to Weapon Kill them.

On Rallos Zek, you were able to loot one item off a defeated foe - as long as it wasn't in a bag, or in a Primary Secondary Range slot. This meant that most players would invest the majority of their money into a fantastic, irreplaceable weapon and would either:

A. Wear crap in their other slots
or
B. Bag their expensive gear if they were in danger of dying

Now, there was a way to get around the "weapon slots are off-limits" thing: the Disarm skill. Disarm was probably the most useless skill in Everquest vanilla, as it had an incredibly low chance of succeeding and removing a mob's weapon didn't really effect its DPS in a meaningful way. However, PCs could be disarmed on PvP servers, and for a while this actually caused the weapon to fall to the ground.

This was quickly changed so the weapon would go to the inventory when disarmed, which was technically fair game for looting. Virtually every player had his inventory spaces filled with bags or other tools, however, so instead the weapon would attempt to go to the first open bag slot. This effectively protected you from getting weapon killed as long as you had the room in your inventory.

There were some issues with this, however. The weapon would only attempt to go in the very first bag that you held. If your top-left bag was full of trash loot you had been farming... well, you're poo poo out of luck, because the weapon went to your cursor, which counts as an open Inventory slot. It also meant that if you could catch someone halfway through looting a corpse (hopefully with a Blind spell) you might catch them before they looted their bags but after looting a weapon.

But the very best way to get someone to screw up and fill their first bag slot was to get them to bag their gear.

If a player had a collection of gear that really wasn't worth much, it was often worth purposely letting someone bag up to give you a better chance of snagging an expensive weapon. Most players knew to bag but very few (comparatively) knew about disarm killing, and even less were astute enough to think of it in the heat of getting PKed.

My friend and I used to go on Weapon Killing rampages where our only goal was to trick people into bagging poorly and then snagging their only worthwhile item. It was rarely worth much to us, since we were fairly rich, but the reactions we got were loving priceless. The best part was that it took so long to properly weapon kill someone that you had time to chat with them and could often determine if they realised what they had coming. Let me explain:

Disarming someone took FOREVER. The chance of success was exceedingly low: maybe 2-4% for a Monk with max skill. This meant it was necessary to keep someone tied down for minutes at a time, which was incredibly hard since in EQ you could disengage pretty easily, resist spells, zone and disconnect, etc. to get away. The best way to keep someone in range of a disarm was to drop them to the range from 0 to -9 HP, known as "purple" (unconscious) and keep them there via a lovely lvl 1 spell. Players could still chat in this state, but couldn't move, use spells, access inventory or menus, or anything else. Most players assumed they were just being griefed, since Disarm attempts gave no textual indication of any action, and keeping someone pinned down at 0 hp or Mezmerised wasn't too uncommon an rear end in a top hat tactic.

The best part was when we finally got the "You have disarmed the target!" message, because then we got to Kick the poor bastard in the head until he died. We always used Kick to do this, it seemed appropriate.

Often times we would get awesome statements from people stuck lying on the ground for 5 minutes at a time. Here are some of my favorites:

"lol ur so n00b u can't win w/out 2v1"
"can you please stop you won ok leave me alone"
"hahaha noob i bagged my gear u waste your time"
"brb making a sandwich lol"
"what are you doing???"

and the very best,

"Why don't you stop this nonsense?"

Each of the preceding statements is notable because it resulted in us stealing a weapon from the victim. Most then involved HOURS of upset/angry/threatening/apologetic begging for us to return the weapon, threatening bodily harm, telling the life story of the poor SOB we had wronged, and all manner of other hilarious attempts to get their irreplaceable Sword of Getting Vendored back.

EDIT: poo poo that was long, sorry

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 3, 2008

BrockStar
Jan 3, 2004

RickoniX posted:

He went lower than that, and he left a lot of bones with Lichs/Mintaurs/Mind Flayers that were basically instakills for anyone going down the stairs.

Can bones files be created if a bones file has already been loaded on the level?

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

BrockStar posted:

Can bones files be created if a bones file has already been loaded on the level?

Yes, at the same chance that the original had to be bones (assuming that it did not become an ineligible level on loading)

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

bacon! posted:

UD

God, I spent a good amount of time griefing in Urban Dead. At one point, my character was the most widely used forum for the game's "#1 most wanted" Pker. (They kept a list that ranked you by amount and frequency of kills) I attacked a group called Team Zombie Hardcore that idolized mark whalburg and prided itself on keeping one of the quietest suburbs in the city of Malton free of zombies.

I managed to get a pretty good group of murderers, spies, and saboteurs to overbarricade the suburb, mislabel revive points, and try to incite violence between the local survivor groups against our target, as well as stage mass murders while playacting the part of madmen, shooting off bad one-liners as much as we shot off our shotguns.

It was a blast. Finally the good times ended through some drama between myself and members or our "main" group, effectively destroying our smaller griefer group.

Oh yeah, here's my info http://www.ud-malton.info/rg/i/600473

I'm pretty proud of it.

Also, their anger at getting repeatedly pked was pretty funny. Especially Jarlaxle's comments.

Covert Ops Wizard fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 3, 2008

Crash Bandicoot
Feb 23, 2007

by T. Fine
I also remember the time myself and a goon/AskChopper member (Velos? Something like that) teamed up to exploit a bug which let you send a message to everybody in the game.

If you played UO, from time to time you'd get a line of text pop up at the bottom left of your screen. Usually it would be something irrelevant said by a player:
"haha ok"
"i only haev 2 arrows left"
"lol did u click it?"

This seemed to happen at random and most people accepted it as a quirk of the game and ignored it. Eventually someone worked out that for some reason, there was a specific tile in the middle of nowhere which would cause your spoken text to display for everybody in the game if you stood on it. The text appeared in the lower-left part of the game window, and could easily be mistaken for a system message.

My partner in crime and I found this tile. He stood on it and set his text to be colored white then set about saying things like:
[EVENT] Hear ye! Hear ye! Lord British has returned from his exile, and will be addressing his subjects from his throne in an hour!
[EVENT] Lord British decrees that all able bodied men attend his return at the British throne room in Britain!

I then went to the throne room to check out what was happening. I would relay events to him over AIM and we discussed how to take this further. After about 100 people showed up standing around, he said something along the lines of:
[EVENT] Lord British is displeased by the arrogance of his subjects! He refuses to return unless all in his throne room dismount and kill their horses.

This kicked off a hilarious argument between the believers yelling "U rear end in a top hat DONT RUIN THIS!!" at anybody still mounted, the non-believers yelling back "Nothing will happen! Leave me alone!", and the confused/neutral people showing up just to see what was going on.

After that, the next message was something like:
[Event] Lord British demands a proper showing of respect! All citizens are to appear naked and bow to their Lord!

This had been going on for well over an hour now, and surprisingly a large number of people did actually strip naked and start using the bow emote repeatedly.

At this point we'd were beginning run out of steam since all we could actually do was spam text and neither of us felt like filling the screen with "LOLBONERS", but luckily a GM arrived to prolong the fun for a little longer. This was pretty late in the game's lifetime so it was rare to see a GM, unlike in the old days where they'd pop down just to say hi.

I was running around the throne room supposedly as a bystander but really yelling things to either cause arguments or make people stay longer. A GM must have figured out what was going on because I got a GM-message telling me to shut up and leave or be banned. The GM who had appeared then started telling everybody that there is no event, that they should move along, and that nothing is going to happen. Upon hearing this most of the assembled players, having spent hours bowing naked on top of their horse's corpse, began yelling at the GM that they deserved some sort of reward for having given up all of their time for this crap and who the hell is running this game anyway. I took the GM's advice and skedaddled but as I was leaving the poor GM was still arguing with idiots who felt they deserved something.

I'm not sure if anything happened to my fellow goon. After all, you can't ban a guy for just standing on a tile, can you? Unfortunately my screenshots of this were lost six computers and ten webhosts ago, but hey, maybe someone remembers it? I don't even remember what server it was on.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Recently I've gotten back into a classic known as Urban Terror. I'm surprised there are servers, a good lot actually, with full people and such.

My favorite thing to do is smoke grenade my comrades spawn point. Especially if it's in a tiny spot - some maps have a wider, somewhat bigger spawning point, but others have a smaller space, which is perfect for this. Let two grenades off, run back and grab some popcorn and watch. People running in circles, jumping, seeing "wtf" "what are you doing we are on the same team" "you loving douche bag" etc etc is awesome as these guys just run in circles so so so confused.

I'd love it if you guys could help me on the action one day. I could imagine a mass cloud of smoke, ah yes, and so much laughter.

One time we had such a small spawning point I'd just throw the 'nades, kill myself, throw them again, kill self, etc and it ended up with the red team SWARMED AROUND US like cows to a slaughter. Oh man that was funny poo poo.

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!
Holy crap! That was fun guys.

Check out W-hat in a while. Looks like he'll be adding more content really soon.
He put it up.
http://w-hat.com/
NSFW

MC Sucka Hater
Jan 28, 2008

It's Time To Succeed.

Soulpudding posted:

EDIT: poo poo that was long, sorry

Goddamn you are villainous, I'm glad I stopped playing before people started doing this as I have never heard of this. Either way I still give you major props on pulling that off.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
In FPS's I tend to stick to basic, but fun techniques, such as finding a player to follow the entire game.

Every round, without fail, I will find my target, preferably someone AWP'ing in CS, or a sniper in DoD, and simply follow them everywhere. Round, after round, normally without saying anything. Just following them, maybe going in front of them while trying to snipe, or jumping up and down while knifing. The lack of response they get from me seems to be the most frustrating part for them. Maybe I'm just easily entertained.

My favorite griefing experience, however, came from a terrible browser based game called [b]Bootleggers[/i], which, if you're not familiar with it (why would you be?), has you taking on the role of a 1920's gangster. In the game you may operate independently, or if you get lucky, enter a crime family.
The people who played the game within these families generally tended to be of the taking-it-far-too-seriously variety, and thus made for excellent targets.
I chose to join the Corleone family (user named gangs, theirs was rife with terrible gifs from the movies), and for a time I worked as a loyal footsoldier, gradually working my way up in the game, accruing money, and bullets. Now, bullets were, at the time, scarce, as the bullet factories were player owned, and produced a very limited number of bullets which could, by way of manipulating availability times, be distributed at will. Nevertheless, I was able to get enough to feel secure.
Killing someone in this game was very hard, especially if they were at a high level, in which case they were likely in a safe house most of the time. Even if they were not, the process by which you actually shot at them was long and drawn out, sometimes taking days.
Since my bullets had taken so long to amass, I decided my target would have to be someone noticeable. I eventually settled on the Capo of the Corleone family. After several days searching for him, I finally lined it up, and clicked the fire button.
I had winged him.
Now, Bootleggers had a funny little feature where if you were wounded, there was a chance that the wounded person would not know the identity of the assailant. To my surprise, it worked to my advantage, and I was not killed within a day as I had expected.
In the days that followed I was able to assure him and the rest of the family that a rival family was responsible, and that they should declare war. They did.
In the end I ended up with some extra cash for my trouble, courtesy of the man I'd shot.

Not the greatest story, but it was a lot of fun.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

BexGu posted:

I've been trying for a while now, but I can't find the SA Free Hugs video.

Basically people brought the Free Hugs movement to Second Life. So a goon made a naked, fat guy avatar with a 6 ft by ft 6ft flopping dick walking around with a giant free hugs sign.

He didn't get many hugs.

Here you go

artvandalay
Jun 30, 2004
Cow college
I didn't see the SA goons versus the dating game mentioned: http://www.somethingawful.com/d/feature-articles/sa-forum-goons.php

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

stuckeys posted:

I loved that game. What I would do was rename potions. Having a low alchemy skill tends to yield a lot of "Potions of Death" that would damage/kill you. Just rename them to "Healing Potion" and give them to your friends!

Oh yeah, "Demon Droppings" and "Rat Droppings" were actual items. You could put them in gift boxes and hand them out to people.

Hahahaha remember guano dropping?

Every player in the game had a house with a password on the door, but you could go to their yard.

So people would buy large quantities of rat poo poo and absolutley cover peoples lawns with them. Many people decorated their lawns so this REALLY pissed them off. It would take a while to drop all the crap but there was NO way to pick it all up at once, so you to manually click every item to pick it up. Dropping was also much quicker then picking up. One player with 2 or 3 accomplices might totaly cover a lawn in 5 or 6 minutes, but it would take someone an hour to clean the mess up. Of course they did not know who did it, which made it more infuriating. Doing it to the same jackasses over and over.... many hours of laughter.

Many peoples doors had passwords which were really, really easy to guess. I cannot even guess how many houses I broke into, but it was a lot.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 3, 2008

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Inspired by this thread a bunch of oldtime goons returned to Second Life and fun was had.

Some of you oldtime goons might remember our 'handy with the candy' friend Trooper Tim, who was brought out of retirement specially for this event. Say "Hi Trooper Tim!"

This was our first annual Second Life Sweepstakes contest, and Trooper Tim was our friendly guest host. The pretense? We go around Second Life and find a happy couple in which to 'surprise' with grand music and confetti and inform them that they've won the sweepstakes!

The prize?

5 Linden dollars and a giant check/gift certificate to be used at any one of our three Second Life stores!

(That's almost 2 cents of real USD value!)

Most people were generally surprised/wierded out by the sudden appearance of 10 goons in suits. (Well except for that one good for nothing dirty unappreciative jerk Rosie who doesn't know a gifthorse if it punched her in her huge gaping maw... But we won't go into that!)

Our contestants were congratulated with thunderous applause from our crew members, who interviewed them on how they were feeling and what it was like to be a winner, whilst we passed over the giant novelty check and their 5 linden prize.

Then, just as suddenly as we arrived, we'd abruptly disappear as if we were never there.

As the evening went on, we even moved our gameshow seaward - delighting couples with a scurvy sea sweepstake adventure!

Possibly our best contestant was a young red black haired lady. Our sudden arrival regrettably caught her in a somewhat compromising position however...

Excuse me miss are you allright?

Then, I assume out of embarrassment, the poor lady disappeared rather quickly before we could even give her the check :(. Disappointed, we all sat around for a few minutes discussing where else we could direct our great cash price.

Then, like the true trooper she was, she suddenly arrived back, fully clothed this time and ready to claim her winnings!

Lovely contestant: Sorry... I wasn't quite dressed for the party!
Goon1: that's quite alright!
Goon2: Looks like we have a new winner!
Goon3: Well congratulations again! :D

She even posed for our cameras!

Goon4: How do you feel now that you've won, Dakota?
Goon4: What will you spend your winnings on?
Lovely Contestant declined your inventory offer. (of the giant check)
Lovely Contestant: A lock for the door? ;)

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 3, 2008

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was the cameraman for said Second Life event

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Isometric Bacon posted:

I laughed so hard my stomach is actually hurting, my face is wet from tears.

I demand more!

Isometric Bacon posted:

There was a few chuckles and gasps in the audience from people that caught on, and I don't know if the Reuters team or Reggie ever noticed it since they were facing the opposite direction. I was laughing my rear end off the entire time though. I'm one of the few people who can say they virtually raped the President of Nintendo.

......can't..... breathe....... diaphram.... broken! Need.... oxygen!

Aahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhaaha. I demand more!

Nostratic posted:

Holy crap, one of my high-level guildmates took me to Teth a couple of days before that happened and I logged in right in the middle of the bloodbath. I think I was level 30? I almost pissed myself it was so funny.

I am happy to have had a hand in murdering you :).

You enjoyed it so I don't think it counts as griefing, but this seems to be the first time in this thread a griefee managed to find their griefer!

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

edit stupid post sorry edit

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

artvandalay posted:

I didn't see the SA goons versus the dating game mentioned: http://www.somethingawful.com/d/feature-articles/sa-forum-goons.php
Hooooly poo poo

:laffo:

TrentEaston
Sep 15, 2007
Just try it, you Scandanavian freak!
The entire Battlefield series was excellent for all the fun griefing opportunities. In fact I have to say some of the best gaming moments in my life come from griefing in that series.

Best one I can remember was in the Desert Combat mod for Battlefield 1942, the map Sea Rigs, basically the Americans initially spawn on an aircraft carrier, and the Iraqis spawn on a bunch of sea rigs in the ocean. The only real way to the sea rigs was by the CH-53 transport helicopter that spawned on the aircraft carrier, and once in flight people could spawn from it. Since most people elected to spawn in the transport helicopter, and since Desert Combat had no flight ceiling, you could literally climb miles up into the air, high enough so anyone who jumped out of the helicopter would take minutes in free-fall to reach the bottom, and if you used your parachute the minute you jumped out, you were pretty much not coming down until the game ended. Best part being the fact even without my help it happened in every Sea Rigs match I've ever been to.

Another great griefing moment in Desert Combat was spawn camping in it's ultimate form. One of the maps (Battle of 73 Easting I believe) had the Americans start off in a tiny encampment loaded with tanks and other vehicles. The Iraqis started off in multiple bases surrounding the Americans and had a lot of artillery, but namely an Iraqi SCUD missile launcher. If the Iraqi SCUD user could calibrate his aim right into the center of the American base, he could wipe out the entire American team since the explosion would cover every single vehicle and person spawn location. Toss in a few shell artillery pieces and some tanks to ensure nothing escapes, and almost every game resulted in the American team spawning, exploding, spawning again, exploding, until the end of the match. :jihad:

Hell pretty much every map in Desert Combat was basically the Americans starting out in one small position, with the Iraqis surrounding them and if they were good, could consistently spawn camp them until the end. Which brings me the one quote I still remember to this day from one American player to another as multiple Iraqi fighter bombers and tanks continued to spawn camp our base. "You know in real life the exact opposite happens" :argh:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Crash Bandicoot posted:

:words:

This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these here forums. When I first read it I had tears running down my face. When I tried to recount the story to someone else I had tears running down my face. When I re-read it a couple of hours later I had tears running down my face.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Hello thread.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Crime on a Dime fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 1, 2010

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

TTones posted:

I was wondering when you would show up!

As it happens I'm currently studying at for the summer Oxford and was asked by a professor to talk about Second Life to some researchers. I went in world for the first time in months and Iso told me about this thread. I'm going to be getting back in-world for this research gig so maybe we can whip something up--I love the check idea.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Diogines posted:

I laughed so hard my stomach is actually hurting, my face is wet from tears.

I demand more!

......can't..... breathe....... diaphram.... broken! Need.... oxygen!

Aahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhaaha. I demand more!

ChickenHeart posted:

Generally, I try too hard to be a "little goody-two-shoes" in online-gaming, but holy poo poo I have not laughed this heartily in the longest time. Christ, the SL antics alone ooze with sheer greatness, and the various EQ and HellMOOO plots are worthy of Saturday-morning cartoon-villainy.

TwingeCrag posted:

Seconding this statement.

Mice Everywhere posted:

Holy poo poo these second life stories are killing me. I'll probably never play the game myself so please, post more.

gmilo posted:

I am crying here. Please PLEASE show us more

Bobinator posted:

I don't play any MMORPGs, but these stories are great.
More Second Life stories please! :)

http://somethingawful.com/secondlifesafari

For about a year I had the distinct pleasure of writing about the antics of Iso and others for the frontpage--there is quite a bit of stuff up there.

Who knows, maybe more will come from the renewed interest in this thread!

this was probably my favorite "pictorial" update while this was the most newsworthy

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

While nowhere as good as TEAM ROOMBA, us Ausgoons try and do our best.

Spirit Tree discovered that in Goldrush, you can use the teleporters to trap people in two places at Point A. Being the new and exciting map, we had no shortage of pubbies to try it out on.

I trapped over 50 people within a month. I think my record was 7 in the one box.

Valve removed that one, but as far as I know you can still do this one.

Theres also things you can do that Valve can't remove through updates, such as:

Build a teleporter exit at your spawn, and then build the exit in the space between a friendly engineers dispenser and his sentry, which he uses to constantly repair the sentry. This will mean that he will be constantly flown back to the spawn, meaning his now unprotected buildings will quickly be destroyed. When questioned, claim you got mixed up and haven't got this fancy "teleportin" thing right yet.

Goon rushes: All go as sniper and recreate Gallipoli, blindly charging heavies and sentries. Works best on a British server, as you can claim it as payback for all the men sent to their deaths during WW1.

Or, really any class will do.

Defend the spawn! (a trick stolen from ROOMBA). All go as engineer and build a massive maze of stuff, with teles that if you slip up, take you back to the spawn again. The second part of Dustbowl works best for this, as the narrow gap makes it almost impossible to leave.

At random, all join spectator at once, instantly leaving one team at an incredible disadvantage. The server will auto-correct, leaving clan stackers in dismay.

On 2Fort, have all your friends go as Engineers and rush the enemy Intel room, and then set up a massive base. Although this will leave your Intel unprotected, the enemy will be unable to even enter their Intel room, let alone capture, meaning the usually hour long rounds will result in a stalemate. As a bonus, the noise from the constant picking up/dropping of the Intel with the L key (every time you do this, the woman announces it to both teams) will drive both teams’ nuts, and they can’t mute it.

^ Add 4-5 more engineers, and that round isn't ending any time soon.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

El Negocio posted:

Valve removed that one, but as far as I know you can still do this one.

If you put the teleporter under the spines in the tunnel on the last part of Dustbowl, people will be trapped there too. Who says engies only get one turret?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Petey posted:

Hello thread.

Was hoping you'd stop by, this thread is fun come grab a chair and join the celebration

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Soulpudding posted:

Was hoping you'd stop by, this thread is fun come grab a chair and join the celebration

I think Iso has it pretty well handled at this point, I'm just around to document whatever trouble y'all stir up.

Vallens
Jan 27, 2004

Get back in line you drunken fool!
There is a whole lot of NSFW pictures in this thread that should be linked.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Vallens posted:

You got griefed in RL teehee

Griefing the Arcade Scene

So some people might know I play (well, played mostly) fighting games competitively for quite a while. There were a few games I was tournament-capable at, but for the one game I played seriously (Guilty Gear XX and its sequals) I was one of the top players in the country. I would often play at the local arcade with my friends (who were likewise very good) and when we would get bored of playing seriously with each other we would devolve into seeing how badly we could grief the other people trying to play.

Common tactics included:

-Seeing someone walk into the arcade and put up a coin, and both players immediately sandbagging and playing like rear end, jumping around mashing moves and generally looking like random arcade scrubs, then as soon as the new player inserted his quarter pulling massive, full-life combos and complete lockdown pressure out of nowhere and double perfecting the poor bastard. Usually the guy wouldn't understand what had just happened and would stick around for at least one more game.

-Switching out the player after every round, even against the same opponent. We never asked for permission to do this, and would do it after winning rounds as opposed to losing

-Asking the opponent to pick the character I would play

-Killing an opponent with nothing but airthrows, or uppercuts, or the Punch button

-Winning by time outs every round

-Spending the entire fight talking to friends, not even fully facing the cabinet, obviously not paying the slightest attention to the game despite slaughtering the opponent

One of my roommates preferred going to the arcade while alone and picking Slayer (a vampire character who had a difficult but practical throw infinite in the original Guilty Gear XX) and performing nothing but invulnverable bite infinites for 30+ matches in a row as lines of scrubs would burn money trying to beat him. He considered stopping when someone threw a metal stool at him once, but decided that was even more reason to continue on.

Another one of my friends (zand from these very forums) is even worse; he will stand behind whoever is playing and give commentary along the lines of "Remember, scrubs can't block low" and "this guy is terrible" while the person is still sitting there, playing. Actually the stuff he says is usually worse, but those always stand out the most.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 3, 2008

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
If anything were to happen on Second Life, do I just have to be around on the What property when the idea comes up or is there a pre-planning spot I could watch to catch an upcoming event?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I remember in Second Life I found a free snowball bazooka. It fired little physics enabled snowballs that could nudge people along. Naturally, this wasn't enough, so I rescripted the thing and reassembled it into a horrifying metal storm snowball WMD. I upped the fire rate and gave it a whole bunch of barrels, and made it an object that you placed on the ground and then clicked to activate. In hindsight I should have included an off button. The thing with the snowballs it fired was that they were scripted to automatically delete themselves after a while, but for some reason it didn't always work.

So I took the thing to furnation to test it out, put it down on the top of a building and clicked it. Hundreds upon hundreds of snowballs flying at ridiculous velocities flew out and carpetted an area across multiple sims, a really long strip initially only as wide as the gun itself, but which tapered out as it went to cover buildings. Then I realised that I couldn't turn it off. After a couple more seconds of firing I got spammed with messages saying that one of my scripts had terminated due to grey goo errors or something, presumably the scripts in place to stop you duplicating items until it crashes the game.

Around 60% of the snowballs disappeared by themselves gradually, but some might still be there.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Quid posted:

If anything were to happen on Second Life, do I just have to be around on the What property when the idea comes up or is there a pre-planning spot I could watch to catch an upcoming event?

just hang out in 'what' basically.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Vallens posted:

Ah yes the fully-clothed SL characters in awkward-looking poses.

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!

Magnificent Quiver posted:

Ah yes the fully-clothed SL characters in awkward-looking poses.

Count yourself lucky that you can't see the twelve inch dong on the chicks we met for the sweepstakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
Star Wars Galaxies was full of griefing opportunity, and the Goonsquad did so much griefing in that game, it was silly.

I wasn't as active in it, but I'm sure the more active members will come out of the woodwork and tell stories.

I remember the thing that really stood out, you could build your own houses and player cities in the game. Houses could be left open, or locked so that no one could enter. Most houses had balconies on the second floor that you could only access from inside the house.

The trick was, lure your victim up to balcony, and then have someone else with permission, lock the house. Because the balcony is considered outside, they wouldn't be able to go back into the house to leave. You also couldn't jump or navigate your way off the balcony in any way. The only way to do this was to beg to be let out, or call a GM to rescue you.

People would get locked up there, we would call for a crowd and people would show up and just point, laugh, taunt and dance while the person was stuck there. Usually we would get them to do and say stupid things for our amusement on the promise that we would let them down. Then, of course, not let them down.

They even trapped CSR's who came to help people out.

There was a guy named SuperSaiyan or something like that that fell for it 4 times. I'm sure there's a documentation of the whole event somewhere on the internet, but all I could find was M87's adventures in greifing, but only one page of his site is running anymore it seems:

http://mouthbreathers.h8r.net/tard/archive/goonjedihunting.html

Edit:

Here's the story from the webarchive, no pictures though

• Locked thread