Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

mexpak posted:

Everquest

Old Everquest [before Shadows of Lucian and its graphic upgrade] had lots of unreported bugs and exploits.

On PVP servers at the time, you couldn't engage in pvp combat until you were at level 8. With the bard character, you could gain the ability to play the song buff that increased your run speed like spirit of the wolf. This was at level 4.

/edit

Actually it was level 5, and it turns out I was playing on the server that Pansi the bard was on in an earlier post. Cool, I remembered that guy!

What wound up happening was you had a ton of level 4-7 bards training giants into people all the live long day. Other factions/players couldn't target the bard since they were pvp immune.

Verant/SOE eventually patched it either by removing the lower level limit or boosting the level requirement for the bard ability. I forget.

For about 3-4 years there was a vendor in Freeport that would buy shark meat for much more then what you could buy it for. It was an infinite money generator and the big secret behind funding many of the uber guilds of the time.

The word got out and they finally patched that bug.

Another infinite money loop was making basic tool boxes using blacksmithing and reselling it to the vendor. The final product was worth more then the raw materials, which was realistic, but was another infinite money generator. That got patched a few years later.

But getting back to training giants, that was probably the most common griefing event I encountered. Creating stupid huge trains in dungeons and causing it to wipe out 30-50 people who were questing in the area. All you had to do was run deep into a dungeon, and be able to survive running away.

Once you had everything chasing you, all you had to do was leave the zone and all of those monsters would turn around and attack everyone on the way back to their spawn points.

The old /corpse command was problematic.

Originally you couldn't drag or summon your corpse after you died. You typed /corpse [player] to give that player the ability to loot your corpse and bring you the items.

2 problems. If the player had a unique/epic item equipped that you have, he couldn't pick it up. And 2nd...

Well, lets just say people were prone to having connection issues as soon as they looted your body.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 3, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digger-254
Apr 3, 2003

not even here

Petey posted:

http://somethingawful.com/secondlifesafari

For about a year I had the distinct pleasure of writing about the antics of Iso and others for the frontpage--there is quite a bit of stuff up there.

Who knows, maybe more will come from the renewed interest in this thread!

This thread sold me, I'm downloading the client right now.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

Lost Downtown posted:

This thread sold me, I'm downloading the client right now.

I'm already in as "Mybutt Magic"

As a side note, what's an easy way to get lindens short of buying them?

Fuckshoes
Jul 11, 2001

sup ladies

Spinning Robo posted:

Chair camping. Lots of sims that want a high traffic volumn will set up camping chairs that'll pay you like 5 linden per ten minutes or so.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Takes notes.

Yes.. YES. MORE IDEAS. Definitely gonna try punching people in the face in WoW and getting them raped by poor AI if it hasn't been patched already.

To contribute, but unfortunately I lost the original inspiring screenshot long ago, a random wandering in Urban Dead, was a fun thing to do as a survivor.

Literally get into heavily fortified buildings, and scream that a random person was a PK, and gun them down. In a room with about 50 heavily armed people with low IQ's, more than once this resulted in blazing gun-battles that could kill half a room, as a bunch of stupid people would just blaze away at each other without bothering to read the messages.

Unfortunately it's hard to do now, as I'm stuck as a zombie. :(

I also spent some time on HellMOO, and was disgustingly bad at it. If I could remember my password, I've probably starved to death, and my apartment has been burgled. If so, I HOPE YOU LIKED THE WARDROBE FULL OF ACTIVE LANDMINES.

Digger-254
Apr 3, 2003

not even here

Spinning Robo posted:

In as "Horizon Weezles"

I tried to make a Gray, but all I've managed to do is create a skinny albino midget with long arms and a huge head wearing a gray bodysuit. Creepy little fucker, I'm pleased.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Fatrick posted:

Star Wars Galaxies was full of griefing opportunity, and the Goonsquad did so much griefing in that game, it was silly.

I wasn't as active in it, but I'm sure the more active members will come out of the woodwork and tell stories.

GOON was notorious on Lowca and could grief without even doing anything. But when they did go ahead and do something, it was the stuff of legends.

A favorite pasttime was, of course, harassing the attention whores in the mantina. One of GOON's greatest moments came the night that a particularly annoying "dancer" decided s/he was going to have a lesbian wedding with another RPer. The fact that both were undoubtedly neckbeards in real life was of no matter to her because it was OMG TRUE LOVE. (Actually, it was just an RP wedding so the players could be showered with gifts from their RP friends and gullible dorks who thought it was a privilege to be invited.) Knowing that this was all an elaborate setup, knowing that e-marriages in games were eye-rollingly silly, and knowing that her previous weddings had been terribly boring, GOON showed up to the Theed city hall in their finest and joined the happy throng, determined to make the occasion a truly memorable one.

The wedding went as predictably as it could, so we knew our cue. When the dupe they'd hired out as a minister got to the line (and I swear to God he used it) "If anyone should have any reason why these two should not be wed, speak now or forever hold their peace", well, we spoke. We spoke by stripping down to our underwear and Jumping to Prone out of the wedding party and right onto the altar.

Then we stood up, surrounded the bride and bride, and began to brawl one another, bare-knuckled (and causing no damage.) Now just sit back and let this concept sink in:

A gang of 10 or so Star Wars Galaxies characters, in their underwear, getting into fistfights at a fake lesbian wedding.

:patriot:

The minister tried gamely to continue the service while the attention whore bride began bawling us out for "ruining the most special day of her life" and, yes, costing her "thousands of credits in presents." Later, at the reception, we stood up and declared it KARAOKE TIME, yelling out the hits of yesterday and today for the bride's enjoyment. For some reason she didn't enjoy it.

I miss that game sometimes.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Howard Beale posted:

:iamafag:
:patriot:
:iamafag:

Are any of these stories elsewhere for reading enjoyment? I'm itching to get a digital archive of some of this stuff.

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

The Remote Viewer posted:

I think this one is the best...it takes imagination to grief someone in a single player game.

Is it possible to grief yourself? Because if so, accidentally zapping a shopkeeper in mine town with a wand of invisibility, causing a fit of rage, getting mauled by the said shopkeeper after a chase, and realizing as the mine town bones level reloads in a later game that it is now haunted by an invisible creature that is unreasonably strong compared to what characters who reach mine town are and also always hostile, should fit the description.

digitaldorkism
Dec 16, 2003

by Fistgrrl
Battlefield: BC for Xbox 360 has a few good things to do.

I like to play a demo class and when my team has to try and defend the gold crates I drop down all my anti-tank mines on the crate and blow it up with my rocket launcher. Within the first five of the round I usually have my team at the last set of crates.

Another great thing to do is plant C-4 on the helicopter or tanks. Let someone on your side get a bit away with it and then KA-BOOM!

So far this game is great for making ten year old kids cry.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

Phuzzy posted:

Are any of these stories elsewhere for reading enjoyment? I'm itching to get a digital archive of some of this stuff.

There was the time we locked down a guild's city for a whole day.

Some guild named "LIGHT" or something like that decided to declare war on GOON. Which was dumb, because we had one of, if not the largest guild on the server. So, everyone that day trotted over to LIGHT's city and just started slaughtering them. It got to the point where we had them backed into their Medical station where the Bacta tanks were, and they would try to mount pathetic counter-attacks against the legions of invading goons sitting outside the door.

The only other option was for them to spawn at the nearest non-player city, and travel out from there, which usually took quite a long time.

I think everyone in GOON eventually became bored and just left, so they were able to return to their boring rebel lives.

I think they tried a counter attack at one point with some of their allies.

Man, everyone on that sever HATED us, it was goddamn hilarious

FAG ON THE FORUMS
Mar 19, 2003

by Fragmaster
I've got a whole folder full of more of those dating game screenshots. The ones that were linked to earlier aren't even the funniest ones by a long shot.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nhy14dsabmd

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Griz
May 21, 2001

Fatrick posted:

There was the time we locked down a guild's city for a whole day.

Some guild named "LIGHT" or something like that decided to declare war on GOON. Which was dumb, because we had one of, if not the largest guild on the server.

it wasn't just us, it was like the 5 largest imperial guilds on the server.

since guild wars had to be declared by both sides before they went active, the imperials just ignored it for a week or two and let them post all over the forum about how we were afraid of them, then we coordinated a simultaneous attack and camped them into the respawn building for hours.

scanlonman
Feb 7, 2008

by R. Guyovich

FAG ON THE FORUMS posted:

I've got a whole folder full of more of those dating game screenshots. The ones that were linked to earlier aren't even the funniest ones by a long shot.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nhy14dsabmd

Oh man, I just started looking at those pictures and just about every one is comedy gold. I wish I was around when everyone was messing up that game. Are there any games that goons are currently griefing?

scanlonman fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 4, 2008

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

This is the first time in years I've laughed so hard I've cried. Oh god.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The dating game was probably GBS's finest hour.

Hydrogen Oxide
Jan 16, 2006
H2Woah
Here's my rar of the dating game screenshots, merged with the one FAG ON THE FORUMS posted. 363 screens of pure hilarity.
http://www.mediafire.com/?n9mlc3vdxm2

XenophobicAirport
Dec 15, 2007

Please have your weapons prepared at the terminal.
There's an ongoing exploit in Team Fortress 2 that came about with the Pyro update. I've been abusing the hell out of it.

In the Pyro update, Valve gave Pyros the ability to wield a flare gun as a weapon. One feature the flare gun has is that if fired correctly into wood that will let it, the flare's projectile would lodge. While lodged, the flare's projectile gives off a glowing particle effect, like a firework does.

The exploit part of this comes in the fact that Valve didn't code the flare gun's projectile to fade away after an amount of time, like you'd expect from them. They don't even vanish when you leave the server. This means that you can fire thousands of flare gun projectiles into a piece of wood if you have the time, subversion and patients.

With a lot of flare gun projectiles lodged into some wood, a person's computer has to render the particle effect from each projectile, causing FPS lag. If you lodge enough projectiles in the same area, you can make the game completely unplayable for the people in the server and even crash a server.

I've been joining servers with the 2fort map, moving over to the shelf in the player spawn and firing as many projectiles as I can before the match is over or I get banned. I find that it works on servers with the MARIO KART map, as they usually don't have a time limit, meaning all the projectiles I fired will stay there until an admin checks.

It all starts innocently with comments like "wtf is wiv ths lag?!?!" and then escalates into "xeno is causing all this lag with the flare gun. I'm gonna call the admin" and "gently caress off, would you? don't you have a life?"

The longest I've spent lodging projectiles is about an hour. I was able to do this simply because the people on the server let me unchallenged. By the time I was done with it, my high-performance computer could barely process the game and I had to do the three-fingered salute to get out.

I recommend giving it a try before Valve does something about it. Now that I've posted this, they most likely will.

XenophobicAirport fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 4, 2008

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Hydrogen Oxide posted:

Here's my rar of the dating game screenshots, merged with the one FAG ON THE FORUMS posted. 363 screens of pure hilarity.
http://www.mediafire.com/?n9mlc3vdxm2

I've been searching for years for this, FINALLY.

The Man
Jun 17, 2008
I've decided, within the last two months, to do more than ignore the screeching wails of prepubescent gamers on Xbox Live. No more will their laughs be heard. It all comes down to fighting fire with fire- drown them out.

During one rousing match of Call of Duty 4, I come across MacDaddie431. Now it would seem that mackie boy is rather lacking in basic proficiency. So I decide to school him in the art of war. After informing him of the necessity of a gun and how to aim (a verbal lesson that took roughly five minutes), I proceeded to follow him around and yell at him every time he missed a shot. I would also randomly sprint and jump in front of him to simulate a real-life combat situation.

He left, and a player thanked me for ridding the game of him.

So, naturally, I thanked him in return for thanking me.

The remainder of the thirty minute match then consisted of me and this other guy screaming thank you and various obscenities at eachother trying to prove which one of us was the most grateful, while everyone else yelled or laughed at us.

All was well until HaloDude1143 entered the fray. I wouldn't have minded on any other circumstance, however it was the constant questioning that drove me over the edge!

And if there's one thing I hate, it's the noise, noise, noise, noise!

For the remainder of the match I began to remind him, constantly, that this game is called mario kart... and it was made in '97.

Aside from verbal griefing I can't think of too much else at the moment. I vaguely recall some Guild Wars shenanigans but nothing on the scale of this topic.

lush
Jul 30, 2006

leaving teamchat off in cops 'n crooks on gta4, driving the getaway vehicle off the map, and flying the boss around in a helicopter for 30 minutes never fails to make my nights that much better.

for added fun (and if teamchat is on) call up the cops and order a pizza!

Furril
Apr 26, 2003

by Ozmaugh
One of my favorite Guild Wars griefs was playing the random 4v4 matches. We all played Monks and showered ourselves with protective spells. The enemy team couldn't kill any of us. We made the scene worse with constant mocking, mocking their skill, mocking thjier choice of attacks, mocking them when they weren't able to kill anyone even when they focus fired. This lasted for over an hour.

I even made a warrior based upon this guy from a Mac Hall Comic.

The Greeter: WELCOME TO WAL-MART!
H ONEY FLASH: lol
Kill ud ed: Shut up faget amcerica..

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

XenophobicAirport posted:

There's an ongoing exploit in Team Fortress 2 that came about with the Pyro update. I've been abusing the hell out of it.

In the Pyro update, Valve gave Pyros the ability to wield a flare gun as a weapon. One feature the flare gun has is that if fired correctly into wood that will let it, the flare's projectile would lodge. While lodged, the flare's projectile gives off a glowing particle effect, like a firework does.

The exploit part of this comes in the fact that Valve didn't code the flare gun's projectile to fade away after an amount of time, like you'd expect from them. They don't even vanish when you leave the server. This means that you can fire thousands of flare gun projectiles into a piece of wood if you have the time, subversion and patients.

With a lot of flare gun projectiles lodged into some wood, a person's computer has to render the particle effect from each projectile, causing FPS lag. If you lodge enough projectiles in the same area, you can make the game completely unplayable for the people in the server and even crash a server.

I've been joining servers with the 2fort map, moving over to the shelf in the player spawn and firing as many projectiles as I can before the match is over or I get banned. I find that it works on servers the MARIO KART map, as they usually don't have a time limit, meaning all the projectiles I fired will stay there until an admin checks.

It all starts innocently with comments like "wtf is wiv ths lag?!?!" and then escalates into "xeno is causing all this lag with the flare gun. I'm gonna call the admin" and "gently caress off, would you? don't you have a life?"

The longest I've spent lodging projectiles is about an hour. I was able to do this simply because the people on the server let me unchallenged. By the time I was done with it, my high-performance computer could barely process the game and I had to do the three-fingered salute to get out.

I recommend giving it a try before Valve does something about it. Now that I've posted this, they most likely will.

This one just got removed :tinfoil:.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Furril posted:

:words:

I used to do a similar one with Rangers, back before they nerfed spirits. Before the nerf you could cast as many spirits as you wanted to and the buffs stacked, they changed it to where there could only be 1 of each type on the map. You'd get 4 rangers and spam the poo poo out of spirits until everyone had so much health and regen you had no choice but to just stand there and /dance.

Robert Analog fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 4, 2008

SneakySnake
Feb 5, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
In World of Warcraft, I used to play in Arathi Basin because I wanted some dumb boots. I'd spend my entire game holding the lumber mill and reminding my team of it by yelling, "WHO RUNS LUMBER MILL?"

Sups
Aug 8, 2007

Jimmy Eat World Hunger
In Dark Age of Camelot I was in a higher end guild (actually for a few months the best guild in Mid) on MLF. When ToA was released a lot of new content came with it. One of them was Master Levels.

During one of the higher Master Level quests (6, 7, 8, or 9) we had one of our Warrior friends hit on a bridge the entire ML group would cross, lowering it to around 1%. These things took forever to drop (an hour of one guy hitting on it, probably). So before the scheduled ML he banged on this bridge for an hour or so and when it came time we all started recording.

Around 100 people on this voyage to obtain 1 new ability. We begin to cross the bridge. I was a Skald who had group speed boost (best in the realm) and we crossed first. When we were safe, our buddy crashed the bridge. Half the raid died instantly in lava. The video is somewhere, I'll try to find it.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!

The Remote Viewer posted:

How do you get a rune to the rat archers since it's instant death to go through a gate to there?

I know this is a very very very late reply but hey, I'm replying. Anyway, there's a cave entrance to the ratman fort, and entering it normally and not through a gate gives you a brief few moments of respite before the rats actually target you. So I would come in there with several throwaway dragons or drakes and clear out the area just enough so I can mark some runes in peace. It also helps to peacemake, provoke, etc. Usually though, since I was in disguise as a tamer fag bank sitter complete with ice staff and Illustrious/Glorious lord riding a nightmare with two 'pure' white wyrms behind me in tow, people tended to believe my gates.

Also, there is NOTHING like hiding in a common taming spot, watch people plop down boxes or something to stop the beasties, and me swiping the box while hidden and watching them die a horrible, horrible death. I was such a bastard :)

XenophobicAirport
Dec 15, 2007

El Negocio posted:

This one just got removed :tinfoil:.

I went and tested it. It still works:

You have to hug whatever you're firing the flare into and fire at an angle to get them to stick.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
Dumb question, is there (still?) a 2nd life thread anywhere. Im interested in seeing if any goons still get together to grief and whatnot.

EDIT: about to go have some lag fun in tf2 heh. I still miss the whole uber exploit thing, kinda fun to keep people stuck in spawns (till your blown in the air via stickys)

ExtremeODD fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 4, 2008

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
In SWG, there were fireworks and firework show packages.

The firework show package was something very easy to make where you crammed in 10 fireworks and when used would fire off a firework every five seconds or so (at the fastest setting). Fireworks fire off singly had a minor cooldown. Firework show packages had no cooldown at all. So I was able to sit down and light off hundreds of firework show packages at the same time because I was just mashing all my hotkeys connected to each stack. There were about 20 stacks of shows x 10 = 200 fireworks going off within milliseconds of each other. Then I would shift over to the other firework hotbar and spam the hell out of that so I had 400 shows going off and it would take a few minutes for it to end.

It was better then the pyro because not only could you make people crash, you could make around a hundred of people crash if you do it in the middle of the city including the ones inside houses because their video and sound cards had to render >400 explosions at once.

So what you would hear was millions of pops blurred into each other because the client just could not keep up with playing them all.

I had a screenshot of me doing it and the guildleader of GOON just going "HOLY poo poo"

I singly handly also took care of the finale at the GOON city celebration with a GM who had the same "HOLY poo poo" reaction.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
The TF2 flare lag bug is simply devious. I felt bad at first and was getting ready to leave until people started talking about me on voice comm. Then I started laughing and recording a demo for amusement.

"redbeaver is a new breed. half asshat, half douchebag"

XenophobicAirport
Dec 15, 2007

BYOB Bigwig posted:

The TF2 flare lag bug is simply devious. I felt bad at first and was getting ready to leave until people started talking about me on voice comm. Then I started laughing and recording a demo for amusement.

"redbeaver is a new breed. half asshat, half douchebag"

The best part about griefing source games like Counter-Strike and Team Fortress 2 is that the terrible player-base, instead of doing the sensible thing by calling an admin or/then taking five seconds to move to a new server choose to stay and attempt to insult you via chat and voice com as much as possible in an effort to stop you.

There's something really hilarious about a fourteen-year-old prepubescent shouting a c-c-c-c-ombo of homophobic and racial terms at you. Physical threats of violence are the best ones.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I wish I could get the TF2 achievements to get the gun to do it :argh:!

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Star Wars: Galaxies
Couldn't you kill other players' NPC vendors for a while? I seem to recall that there was a way to go around murdering them until they patched in a hotfix.

I also remember an early patch note reading something along the lines of: "/launch command now only works for fireworks." You can imagine what must've been going on before the fix.

ExtremeODD posted:

Dumb question, is there (still?) a 2nd life thread anywhere. Im interested in seeing if any goons still get together to grief and whatnot.

I can't find one in The MMO HMO subforum. Even if you don't play, there's nothing stopping you from starting a thread over there.

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 4, 2008

Soviet
Jul 17, 2003

stick it in me
Apparently the flares lag the entire server and not just people who see it on screen. Nice.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Shadowbane was full of chances to be a tremendous rear end in a top hat. I was such an rear end in a top hat. I started off as a newbie and in about a month's time, I had an entire nation of screaming morons wanting to burn down the goon city. There are two things you must know about Shadowbane. The first is that whenever you died, everything in your inventory could be grabbed. The next is that if you died, you went to your home city, and you were really really weak and if killed repeatedly your equipment would break.

Back in Shadowbane, the goons at the time were allied with a bunch of well meaning but retarded people led by a man named Hood. Hood was an alright enough guy, and he gave me a lot of stuff and money along with the other nation leaders. There were a few other cool ones, but for the most part a lot of the people in the nation were hooting dickholes. When I started, I went from a newbie idiot to a pretty good PvP'er in two weeks. Better than the people that had been playing for years. Not all of them, but good enough to smack the average player around like an Irish wife.

I had heard of a build somewhere along the line that was supposedly very powerful but not played anymore. The line called for a race of Shade, and for a set of runes. Hence I named him 'Lampe Shade'. Wererat was the key one, along with certain runes to boost intelligence. It was a dagger chucking build that relied heavily on critical damage from very special, very loving expensive daggers. If the damage didn't come, you died. If you got called main and you weren't fast, you died.

The problem was for your enemies was that you were throwing SO MANY DAGGERS ( like 10 or 20 per second ) that the odds were that you were going to critical 3-4 times every few seconds for hundreds and thousands of damage. If you were REALLY lucky, you could even kill a tanking build in under a half a minute. To top it all off your attack was so high that you could hit just about anyone and NEVER loving miss, and even if you missed once or twice, you were still throwing a shitload of daggers.

Eventually, the Goons were dropped from the nation we were in because they were 'streamlining'. It's a sad thing, because they had a lot of poo poo awful people and while the goons didn't have many folks we were still better than their average crap. So I specifically asked the leader of the nation 'Can I PvP against you guys?'. He said 'Sure'. After all, it was only one thief. What harm could he do? It is important to note that the place we shared was hard to get to, an island that didn't attract that many PvPers. You'd see maybe one or two a day, before I started up.

The first thing I went after were the leveling groups. They were easy to kill, and if you didn't kill them the NPCs would. All you had to do was snare the floating mage holding the aggro of the NPCs, which would make him fall to earth. The NPCs would eat the surprised bastard before he knew what was happening and would then promptly turn on the rest of the group. All that was left to do after that was to stroll over and pick up all the free gold and items. If you got a group that had been there for a while, you could easily snag hundreds of thousands of gold and runes.

Within a week or so I'd made millions just from killing these groups. I'd been picking them dry, and since the island was so small it was easy to do. Rather than actually try to fight me, they'd just bitch in chat and send me angry tells that only spurred me on. I took the fight to their cities.

Until this point they'd rarely had anyone fighting in their cities, which meant they didn't put up any guards in their cities. I also found out they never removed permissions for the goons, so I could still use the banks, repair in their shops, etc. This led to me standing stealthed in their bank, logging in and out for about an hour or two waiting for a chance. I'd log in, scan the local area and see if anyone was in the bank and immediately log out and check the names on an alt account. The alt account was also an evac, so I could instantly pull myself out at any time. It was the perfect rear end in a top hat set up.

The first few times I struck, I hit virtually nothing. Few hundred thousand gold, nothing big. Then I hit a mule the nation used to make weapons, full of valuable materials. He died in seconds since all his points where in strength, and I destroyed a week's worth the materials and logged off before they knew what happened. Then I started hitting other people in front of trainers in the middle of the night, taking all the gold they were using to boost their skills.

The glorious part was that when someone died, they'd end up in their home city, and if it was the one I was in it formed a glorious circle of griefing. It came to a point when I saw one of the nation leaders, the one that owned the city I was loving around in for a week. She was pretending to be AFK, and I picked up two stealthers on 'radar'. I decided it was too good to pass up and I started laying into her with everything I had. The two stealthers popped and attacked me, but I still killed the bitch in 3 on 1 and spammed 'Lawl' in local chat for pages and pages.

The next day, Hood comes and he drops a siege stone on the goon city because I more or less walked into a trap he set for me and still pissed in his friend's eye. There was some worry about when the siege would be set for, but it was decided that it would be set late on New Year's Eve. I watched with a smile on my face and a beer in my hand on that night as the catapults and tents started to pop up around midnight.

The catapults and tents lined up outside the city were all named after me. 'Thank Lampe for this.' 'Lampe is an rear end in a top hat.' Things like that. What they didn't know was that night was my birthday, and glorious nerd rage was the most hilarious present I've ever gotten.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

EVIR Gibson posted:

So what you would hear was millions of pops blurred into each other because the client just could not keep up with playing them all.

I used to do this in Mechwarrior 3, with a large or heavy mech outfitted with nothing but machine guns. A few machine guns going off is no big deal, 20+ at once would cause some serious aural chaos and often lagged up the map, sometimes even crash people with lovely onboard sound. Plus it's almost impossible to see MG fire in the chaos of battle so it'd take a while to figure out just who that jerk was, ho-hum... Also, even though I only had enough ammo for just a few seconds' worth of firing, it turns out that an all-MG loadout can kill just about anything with an alpha strike :v:

Another fun thing to do was take that one chickenwalker light mech, strip it down to nothing but a MASC and a few heatsinks and maybe a single light laser or MG for annoyance purposes, and play Road Runner to a server's collective Wile E. Coyote. It was more annoyance than outright griefing, but every now and then someone would get seriously pissed that I was moving at 3x speed compared to even other light mechs and was more or less untouchable, and obviously not playing to win. The best was when a heavy would show up and I would circle around to its backside, plink at it for a few seconds with the light laser, and just as it was hauling its ponderous bulk around to shoot me, broadcast "*beep beep*" and vanish. And do it again 30 seconds later.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

quote:

Another fun thing to do was take that one chickenwalker light mech, strip it down to nothing but a MASC and a few heatsinks and maybe a single light laser or MG for annoyance purposes, and play Road Runner to a server's collective Wile E. Coyote. It was more annoyance than outright griefing, but every now and then someone would get seriously pissed that I was moving at 3x speed compared to even other light mechs and was more or less untouchable, and obviously not playing to win. The best was when a heavy would show up and I would circle around to its backside, plink at it for a few seconds with the light laser, and just as it was hauling its ponderous bulk around to shoot me, broadcast "*beep beep*" and vanish. And do it again 30 seconds later.

A friend of mine used to do basically this on MW2: Mercs using a Dasher. The only way anyone (me, in fact) ever found to kill the drat thing with anything but a complete lucky shot was to have a Phantom with max speed and max jump jets, using nothing but LRM's. You couldn't keep up with him for *long*, but you only had to manage long enough to get a missile lock and unload on him. It wouldn't kill him, either, mind you, but you'd almost always blow off 2 or more limbs and thus be able to finish him easily.

Another big rear end in a top hat thing people would do on MW2 was fix up a mech with nothing but the absolute most powerful short-range weapons... and Arrow IV batteries. Apparently on the heaviest mechs, if you did it right, you could cram on an ER PPC, a pair of AC/20's and a pair of Arrow IV's, along with enough ammo for a few alpha strikes. But this isn't the rear end in a top hat part... the rear end in a top hat part is that they only engage point-blank. Remember on MW2 how internal ammo explosions and reactor breaches were area-effect? Yeah. A good one of those pilots could, on certain maps only, get 2-3 with their brutal alpha strikes and inevitably take out 1-4 more when they finally went kaboom from being such a walking powder keg. Also of note, firing all those guns at once instantly overheats the mech, so if he does it while not already at 0 heat... he explodes. God rest the souls of any poor saps in range of his reactor breach/ammo cook-off.

Urban Terror back in either version 2.2 or 2.3 (so this was around 2002-2003 or so) had a bug involving being able to reload guns that were already loaded if you did some complicated poo poo involving jumping around and throwing away a gun while reloading it. On guns with external magazines (what most folks call a "clip") this doesn't do anything except reload the gun, and with a certain bit of extra bug-exploitation, give you 255 magazines. But there were a few interesting griefing possibilities with the bug:

A: Franchi SPAS-12 Shotgun. This was pretty much *the* weapon back in those days, since almost all shootouts were close-range enough the shotgun was worthwhile, and a SPAS-12 lays down a lot of firepower. The only real weakness is that it takes so long (comparatively) to reload a tube mag. Course, with the above bug, you could load 255 shells into it and blast all day! This was considered cheating and could get you kicked.

B: HK-69 40mm Grenade Launcher. The much-maligned grenade launcher certainly got a helluva upgrade from this bug. 255 grenades are better than a handful! But the real trick is if you tried to extra-load the gun. See, since the HK69 had to be reloaded after every shot, the programmers didn't put in any kind of delay between shots. The delay was having to reload! But if you have, say, 40 grenades crammed into the thing, and then hold down the shoot button, they spray out like water from a hose, creating a solid stream of 40mm grenades. This was considered big-time cheating but was HILARIOUS as you could saturation bomb entire regions of the map.

C: The Knife. Trying the reload bug on the knife was EXCEPTIONALLY hilarious since for some reason (I'm no programmer) the game decided that the effect of having 255 knives and loading extra knives into your knife should be... no delay between knife swings! Thus turning the previously last-ditch-only knife into a goddamned chainsaw that instantly killed anyone you managed to hit with it. People hardly considered this cheating as it was far more of a hilarity factor than any kind of real advantage.

D: Flash Grenades. They've since been removed from Urban Terror due to it being too easy for people to cheat them, but at the time they were in. The reload bug didn't do anything crazy to the grenades (like with the knife) but it did give you 255 flash grenades. You could already throw grenades pretty fast on there, so this equated to the ability to blind about half the map at any given point.

The upshot of all this is that a friend of mine had his own server, and we'd play around with these bugs and low gravity. Poor pubbies who logged on had no clue what the flying gently caress was going on! Grenade hoses, chainsaw knives, bodies flying everywhere, it was awesome. Usually there were so many flash grenades going off they didn't realize all the other hosed up poo poo going on. Some of them would accuse us of somehow remotely hacking *their* client!

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Back in the beta of SecondLife and the release of it from 2003-2005 I was part of a group called the WWIIOLers who were quite a large griefing group. We came from the off-topic section of the official forums for World War II Online. Back then there was only one sim in the entire game that had damage (and furries didn't exist in SL!). When your health went to zero you were teleported back to wherever you set your home to. This sim was called Jessie. We immediately bought land in this sim. We probably owned 1/4th of all the land in that sim at our peak.

Our first disgruntle with the people in SecondLife was over a confederate flag. On one building that we owned there were confederate flags hoisted above it and one had "The South will Rise Again!" written on it. Apparently this pissed off quite a few people and they made a poo poo storm on the official forums. The flags never got removed and the WWIIOLers got their first public light. It was hilarious to see people get so worked up over a few flags in one sim.

I have tons of stories from those times if you people are interested.

You can see the flags here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

FalconBK posted:

Our first disgruntle with the people in SecondLife was over a confederate flag. On one building that we owned there were confederate flags hoisted above it and one had "The South will Rise Again!" written on it. Apparently this pissed off quite a few people and they made a poo poo storm on the official forums. The flags never got removed and the WWIIOLers got their first public light. It was hilarious to see people get so worked up over a few flags in one sim.

I have tons of stories from those times if you people are interested.

You can see the flags here
For some reason that reminds me of Peter Gabriel's "Games Without Frontiers" with the first verse about the flage.

• Locked thread