Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IroncladTomato
Oct 29, 2007

"Let me tell you the story of a henchman named Speedy..."

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Shadowbane :words:

God, I love this story. The new years-birthday thing is just the icing on the cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Eve. Eve has and always will be a magnet for drama, grief, and morons that take themselves far too seriously.

Snowballs of Death

In EVE, there weren't towns persay. There was safe space, and the majority of the people in EVE and all the major trade was in safe space. There would be stations, police that would port in when you opened fire on another ship, etc. You could still attack and die, but usually the security would wipe the floor with any ship in safe space in a matter of seconds. Around the time I came onto the game, they were doing Christmas give outs.

One of the things I got was a snowball launcher. It was a missile launcher, only instead of missiles, it fired projectiles that just exploded in white spray when it hit your ship for no damage. For all intents and purposes, it looked like a real missile attack to someone not really paying close attention. I only had a small frigate at the time, and I hadn't gotten invited to the Goon Fleet so I set out with weapon in hand to amuse myself.

As soon as I launched from the station, I locked onto the biggest ship I saw ( a battle cruiser ) and opened fire. After three salvos of snowballs, the ship ( worth at least 30 times more than mine ) started firing back with real bullets. It was instantly obliterated by the station we were next to. I grabbed what was left in the loot can, blew the poo poo I couldn't carry, and flew back to the station. I made a lot of money that night with my snowball launcher.

Oh God Bees

Goons in Goon Fleet fought a lot, and it was for all intents and purposes like herding cats to get anyone to do anything. Real operations were frequently very, very boring. What goons loved, what would get you a hundred people in a matter of five minutes, was the promise of grief and pubbie tears. In EVE, when you died with no other ships in a station you got a really lovely newbie ship with almost no real weapons or health. They're awful and it requires a careful bit of equipping to get anything on one.

Well, someone figured out you could load a single light drone ( like an attack pet ) on one of these types of poo poo buckets. He then posed a question : How fast would a swarm of these ships with drones be able to kill something? This was a question that had to be answered! After a half hour of preparation, we had around fifty to seventy goons with these ships all holding a single drone.

Together our mighty force set out to secure space. Eventually we found a mining battle cruiser in a veldspar asteroid belt, without any real guns just sitting there. Pubbies would often go idle in safe space, under the mistaken belief that they were... Well, safe. We converged on him and started to orbit him at minimum range. It looked beautiful to see that many little ships swarming around a much larger one, that had no idea of the hell that was about to come down upon it.

"u giv mssl?" Inquired our flight lead.

"lol what are you talking about mssl?" Replied the retard.

"GIV MSSL NOW!" Demanded our leader. He told us to lock onto the target and start pinging him with our radars, which filled his screen with warning signals that he just got locked.

"wat are you going 2 do shoot me lol" He dropped his drones. Five medium drones that wouldn't have trouble popping light ships fairly quickly. The command was given and all at once fifty people dropped their drones and told them to attack. As soon as the game server was done making GBS threads itself over the lag, the battle cruiser went up in less then ten seconds. Of course most of the little ships didn't escape the police, but they were griefing alts specifically made for that gimmick so no one gave a poo poo.

From that day on, the VC Bee legacy went on. Over time, people started dropping missiles on command into a can whenever we demanded it. Fifty missiles or so, ridiculously cheap and not worth anything. We'd take our prize, thank them and go. Everyone else who dared not to 'giv mssl' died in a hailstorm of angry bees.

Sing OR DIE

In EVE, a unique system evolved. It was completely possible to lock down someone's ship and prevent it from moving or attacking you, if you had the numbers and equipment. Usually when you did this as a pirate, you'd demand a ransom of money from someone. Then you'd let them go. It was expected of every 'real' pirate. Someone had an idea one night, somewhere between beers. Why did the ransom have to be money?

We made a small teamspeak server and got a group of four or five goons, then took off to a few areas I knew of. Not many people, not often in groups, scattered across an area. Just what we needed. We set our ships up to jam weapons and propulsion instead of outright fighting, then took off. When we sighted a target, we jumped in on him, locked his ship up and started orbiting outside of smart bomb range ( AoE weapons that needed no lock ).

"plz let me go ill giv u isk"

"We have demands. Log into this teamspeak server. If you don't, we'll blow up your ship right now."

The target would log into the server, though sometimes we had to walk them through getting into it our downloading teamspeak, giggling like drunken school girls while we waited. As soon as he was on, we'd make just one demand.

"Sing. Pick a song and sing it, then we'll let you go." Anyone that refused was destroyed, but more often than not the pubbies that didn't log out ( and get destroyed ) would start to sing. It was some godawful loving singing, ranging from awful renditions of popular songs to more appropriate ones such as 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star'. I think some of it was recorded, but it was so long ago I'm sure I've deleted the files by now.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

:aaa:

You make me want to play EVE again, but being from the other side of the pond, I never got to see many pubby tears :(

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

chairface posted:

Another big rear end in a top hat thing people would do on MW2 was fix up a mech with nothing but the absolute most powerful short-range weapons... and Arrow IV batteries. Apparently on the heaviest mechs, if you did it right, you could cram on an ER PPC, a pair of AC/20's and a pair of Arrow IV's, along with enough ammo for a few alpha strikes. But this isn't the rear end in a top hat part... the rear end in a top hat part is that they only engage point-blank. Remember on MW2 how internal ammo explosions and reactor breaches were area-effect? Yeah. A good one of those pilots could, on certain maps only, get 2-3 with their brutal alpha strikes and inevitably take out 1-4 more when they finally went kaboom from being such a walking powder keg. Also of note, firing all those guns at once instantly overheats the mech, so if he does it while not already at 0 heat... he explodes. God rest the souls of any poor saps in range of his reactor breach/ammo cook-off.

Haha, that's beautiful. Some people used to do something similar with flamers and light mechs, usually the Puma, in MW3. 6-8 flamers in alpha were damned near guaranteed to instantly kill anything else and it would really piss people off; one of these little beetle-shaped things would spring into pointblank range, usually from behind cover for a total surprse, then nuke the poo poo out of someone with no fear of reprisal. But, if you were fast on the coolant flush (easy to do when you're one of the few with broadband back then) you'd completely neutralize the attack and they'd be left with nothing else to do, and were usually dumbfounded sitting ducks for your own pointblank instakill counter-alpha. Chasing them down for the explicit purpose of shutting them down that way before they could kill anyone else earned me some serious rage. The flame griefers either had to attack uselessly and face instant death seconds later or simply run and try later, and after a while the server would get wise and stay in close so I could protect them, or stay in the open so they couldn't be ambushed. Sometimes griefing a griefer is the best griefing of all.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Little bit more.

Swatting Flies With A Sledgehammer

In Goonspace at the time, we had a problem with the occasional rear end in a top hat that would fly around and do no real damage. Usually this would be someone that might kill a few newbie miners, then die, or proclaim victory over the evil goons and log out. One of these guys that became a regular was a guy called Tookar. He was annoying, but not really a threat to anyone in a big ship as he only flew tiny frigates. We couldn't kill him most of the time because he'd only attack people that were AFK or unarmed. I was feeling funny, so I equipped out a battleship with a single mining laser... And a full rack of torpedoes.

Torpedoes wouldn't even HIT a frigate unless it was standing point blank close to you, and it wasn't moving. It was for all intents and purposes like trying to destroy a sponge with a hammer. Neither the less, I was in the mood to do something stupid and off I went. I let the Raven battleship sit there, letting it mine into a can. I waited, and waited, and waited. Tookar buzzed by a few times at far away ranges, looking to see if I was afk or whatever. The single mining laser made it LOOK like I was mining, as one laser looked the same as eight.

After three peeks, he and his friend came in at point blank range and started attacking me. I immediately locked him, scrambled him, webbed him, and started attacking. It took me a full two minutes to actually KILL him with the torpedoes, but all he could do was sit there and watch as his health gradually faded away. That's the only time I ever saw a frigate die to a torpedo.

Goons Ruin Everything

The Pipe ( the area leading from our space to safe space ) was commonly filled with goon traffic, looking here and there for enemies or anything out of place. It was common knowledge that anything, anything worth note that was found on the pipe would immediately be swarmed and destroyed by the goons. One day, we found something very unusual. We found a Mothership. Think Home World in terms of scale. It was a big loving ship, and it was oddly enough an NPC ship with a ridiculous bounty. Immediately EVERYONE in S-U ( our space ) was told to get into the biggest ship they had.

In ten minutes we had fifty or so ships, cruisers, battleships, frigates, a hodge podge armada ready to poo poo on someone's sandwich. We went in and we took down the ship, taking losses of course but hey, we still made out OK. Then we left.

Unknown to us, it was a GM event. In public space, a good half hour's journey up the pipe GMs had been gathering a bunch of pubbies to lead them to the mothership. They were posing as 'interstellar police' and they needed help dealing with dangerous pirates! Anyone who came with them would be richly rewarded! Pubbies being the greedy, stupid fuckers they were swarmed on this and followed the GMs in droves down the pipe only to get there twenty minutes too late. It must have been kind of awkward for the GMs.

What was exactly said was unknown, but the pubbies were very upset that someone had beaten them to the punch and demanded compensation for their time. The GMs refused, and the pubbies all swarmed them. Once the GMs were blown up and podded, it became a free for all and every pubbie started blowing up one another in a mad melee for the GM's ship loot. A goon got drawn to the area, and he said there were something like forty or fifty cans sitting around from a whole bunch of different ships. I don't know why the GMs thought it would be a good idea to spawn a massive target 5 minutes away from Goon space with the reputation we had.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Sing OR DIE

The snowball was nice. Newbie ships and drones were expected.

Holding someone hostage until they sing is brilliant.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
Me and my buddy would play Counter-Strike while physically in the same room. We'd choose to be in each different team and agreed we would not kill each other. However, we would kill every other team member, until only the two of use remained. Then we'd battle it out until there was no time left on the maps. Basically we'd shoot just a bit off of the mark never actually hitting each other.

People would get so loving frustrated, especially on the longer round settings.

Very mild griefing, but if you do this every round (or almost) I can see how it can get aggravating.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

(Shadowbane and EVE Online griefing stories)

Mmm, delicious!

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 5, 2008

effloresce
May 19, 2008
Yeah, I was a UO griefer as well. There used to be a dungeon spot (Deceit? forget which) that had a room that spawned bone knights, which had a lot of HP and high weapons skill but didn't really deal a lot of damage. So, people would line up at the entrance and crossheal, hitting the BKs with daggers and low damage weapons in order to grind their weapons skills and healing up. It was really cool, everyone got good gains and everyone cooperated.

Except me.

It was Trammel, so there was no open PvP. But, spawning all around were nasty things - poison elementals were my weapon of choice. My friend and I would run around and get a bunch of poo poo following us, and charge fearlessly into the wall of training people from both sides. Then hide. Simple and lame, not elegant like some of the crazy scams out there.

The craziest one I have ever heard of in Ultima Online comes from a member of the goon guild on the Hybrid freeshard. As I recall it, he got close to some chick in-game when he was like 12, 13, they did the in-game wedding and stuff. Nothing really romantic, but kindasortayouknowhowthatgoes. Anyway, she had like 4 accounts and a ton of huge houses packed with crazy rares and poo poo, with fully developed characters on each acct. Anyway, she goes on vacation for two weeks and leaves our goon friend with her usernames and passes so he can keep the houses refreshed - you have to enter and exit them every so often or they fall down. Anyway, he loots every acct she has, sells the houses and the rares, deletes the characters.

A few days later, he gets a call from the police about identity theft blah blah, he said she gave him the info which was the truth, and they lost interest. He did get another call, though, from the "caregiver" of the woman he looted. Apparently she was heavily paralyzed with many health problems, and UO was all she did with her life. After the looting, she attempted suicide with sleeping pills, and when the caregiver found her, she was almost dead.

Anyway, yeah, griefing loving rocks. :dance:

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.
I think the most griefing I ever did was in Lineage 2 and usually it was against the farmers. I botted up an Adventurer which is a high level dagger user so I had a high amount of evasion and would just run around the high level hunting areas and aggro as many mobs as I could then fake death with the train behind me and have all the botting farmers start to attack them while I walked away unharmed.

A lot of them usually had set ups that would make the characters log out when a certain amount of mobs appeared on the screen but the game wouldn't let you log out if you had gotten hit. This usually resulted in the dwarf running the bot train dying and dropping poo poo, then when the other characters auto logged back in they would get killed and sometimes drop poo poo.

Early on in the game training wouldn't yield you much of anything but in the high level areas you'd get them to drop a lot of top gear that the dwarves would keep. Definitely boosted my characters gear very nicely that is until I got banned.

I would also sometimes pk a lot of the pussy players in the game that would be afraid to fight back or accept war invites. Of course I always did this with a group of my clan with me but it usually was really fun.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Soviet posted:

Apparently the flares lag the entire server and not just people who see it on screen. Nice.

I got the flare gun but now can't for the life of me get them to stick :saddowns:.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The GMs refused, and the pubbies all swarmed them. Once the GMs were blown up and podded, it became a free for all and every pubbie started blowing up one another in a mad melee for the GM's ship loot. A goon got drawn to the area, and he said there were something like forty or fifty cans sitting around from a whole bunch of different ships. I don't know why the GMs thought it would be a good idea to spawn a massive target 5 minutes away from Goon space with the reputation we had.

This is so awesome. You not only destroyed the GMs' little event, but you also managed to incite a raging pubbie revolt, which in turn became an orgy of pubbie violence.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Oh God Bees
Sing OR DIE

Christ, reading these really makes me wanna give EVE another shot. First time I tried it I hadn't join up with SA yet. And I never got into a serious corp for any major group based action :(.

Drakes fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 5, 2008

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

drunken officeparty posted:

I got the flare gun but now can't for the life of me get them to stick :saddowns:.

I believe it's been patched out already.

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

McSpanky posted:

I believe it's been patched out already.
Six minutes ago:

Crouch and get close to it as possible, then aim about 45 degrees to the left. Just look around for that sweet spot.

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

What the hell is that on the ceiling?

Yeah, it still works. I believe you have to shoot anything that would be considered a model (.mdl) at a 45 degree angle at point blank range.

Good stuff.

I wish I had a recording of some of the reactions. People were just standing by them saying, "What the hell?"

And a few were like "this karnage guy has no life" or "and karnage is still a douchebag, he's been doing this for an hour"

Oh I loved it.

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this

Less than 1 minute ago

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

CrushedB posted:

This is so awesome. You not only destroyed the GMs' little event, but you also managed to incite a raging pubbie revolt, which in turn became an orgy of pubbie violence.

That was one of the funniest things we've done in EVE, honestly. And the OP got a little mixed up; the op with fifty newbie ships was long before the VCBees were created. One goon decided to get a bunch of us together in newbieships and we went roaming around near our home space until we found a battlecruiser (which was actually killing NPCs for bounty money, not mining). We all jumped in and attacked it, and the poor guy died in about ten seconds. The killmail for it is here, though it might not mean much unless you've played EVE:

http://killboard.goonfleet.com/km/101509

The VCBee alts were made much later to keep us amused for a few weeks while another alliance who'd gotten pissed at us was running around our space in gangs of expensive ships we had no hope of matching at the time, killing everything they saw. I don't think we ever killed anything of note with those alt characters; we mostly ran around the safe "Empire" regions of space talking in broken English and ramming other people's ships. They were eventually supposed to be for suicide attacks against those hostiles in our space, but the hostiles got bored and went home before we really got anything organized with 'em.

Aside from the Jihadswarm thing someone posted earlier, where people suicide cheap ships to kill miners in safe systems, we haven't really done anything all that amusing lately. These days we mostly "grief" folks by waltzing into their regions, blowing up all their stuff, and taking over all their space, then watching them collapse. It's particularly funny when our spies can provide us with delicious pubbie tears from their own internal forums and sometimes even Teamspeak recordings. Still, though, I think I oughta get another newbieship op going one of these days for old times' sake.

This thread has been awesome, I love reading about people's griefing exploits. Aside from EVE, about the only thing I've ever done myself is backstab people in Starcraft; I loved to join 7v1 comp stomp games and "forget" to check the Allied Victory box, so I'd still be allied with the other human players, but the game wouldn't end when we killed the computer player. Then I'd just sit back and watch the fun. A lot of times, most of the players would drop their network connection as soon as they realized someone was backstabbing (a network disconnect didn't count as a loss on your Battle.net stats, and everyone in comp stomp games was either a stats whore, a new account trying to work up to ladder competitions, or a backstabbing griefer). Sometimes, though, a few of them would stick around and start accusing each other of backstabbing. I'd try my best to fan whatever flames broke out and got a few good all-out brawls going here and there. Even got a few good fights out of 'em sometimes when I was finally discovered or the game just evolved into a free-for-all. I wasn't all that good at the game myself, so I never did anything truly hilarious like crush a half-dozen pubbies at once, but it did lead to some amusing moments. Unfortunately, any records I had of 'em are long gone now. :(

dennyk fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 5, 2008

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Two more.

Contain Your Anger

This isn't a goon related story, but funny all the same. One corporation ( guild ) in EVE had a name that went unchallenged for years. Then some terrorist organization decided to use the same name, or one that was really close. Some dickhole petitioned it, and the GMs told them they had to change their name. They protested but the GMs weren't about to give in on something like that. I think it was something relating to the IRA, but anyways.

These guys, they decide to stage a protest. They got the biggest cargo ships in the game ( a freighter ), and they flew to the largest, most frequented area in the game at the time. I think it was Jita. We're talking between two and three hundred players in that one area at any given time. Now these ships, they had a very special cargo.

You see in EVE, when you died, you dropped a certain percentage of random equipment you had equipped on your ship and everything in your inventory. Certain items in the inventory would spawn as their own separate items in space. Storage containers were one such item, and the smallest ones barely took up any space in an average sized ship. A freighter could literally haul fleets of ships around inside it.

Imagine if you will, if someone gutted the hull of the Titanic and filled it with paper balls.

These fine citizens parked in their freighters in this busy area, outside the busiest space station and they announced to all "We're giving away items! FREE ITEMS!". Hordes of pubbies swarmed in on the freighters, eagerly awaiting their prize.

They waited until they had a good number of people around, then self destructed the freighters. The server simultaneously poo poo itself and burst into flames, going down almost instantly. Everyone in the corporation was banned from the game forever, and when the game came back online they made an adjustment. Whenever freighters died now, EVERYTHING INSIDE was destroyed. Everything. Which brings us to our second story.

Up In Smoke

Technically, going by the rules of the game this wasn't 'griefing' but it was definitely painful. The goons had set sight on some new territory, and we rolled in like the German army on coke and started blowing up everything in sight. The people we were fighting, NORAD, had held the space forever... Mostly because it was kind of lovely to the people that had 'true' 0.0 space. No one wanted to take it before. They had really good ships, lots of expensive poo poo. We had many, many more ships and maintained a round the clock presence.

They realized they couldn't win and they started to pull back into more secluded areas of their territory. We seldom saw any of them, as they kept logging out as soon as we appeared. Eventually, our corp leader ( Remedial, the dumb fat fucker ) made them an offer. They would get 24 hours to move out of their territory, escorted by us if they wanted to, with no shots fired if they left with no further fighting.

They decided to fight on, and devised a clever plan. They would move all of their stuff in a freighter in the middle of the night, while everyone was surely sleeping. Just before the server restart at 5am, they'd load everything they owned into the freighter and go to a system that only had one way out and one way in, where they could make money and be very well guarded from us. It would have been a decent enough plan, if a spy in their corporation hadn't told us of it.

We had forty people wake up at 4am, and move to a gate where the freighter would be passing through. We then moved well off the gate, and logged off. A single covert ops ship stayed on, watching the gate, hidden away. Other eyes further up the route notified us of the freighter's travel, it had only a single escort. A battle cruiser. It would not get in our way.

It stopped in the area before the ambush point just before the server went down, and everyone waited, chatting on voice. As soon as the server came up, the covert ops logged in and everyone else sat watching their character screen. Then the freighter came in, someone jammed it and EVERYONE logged in at once. The battle cruiser turned and ran as soon as people came in, leaving the defenseless ship to the wolves. It was ripped apart, and in the process, about twenty people lost more or less everything they had worked for in the game for the past few years.

Around the same time, our spy gave Remedial his account info for the corporation's voice chat. Remedial logged in and switched his name to Remedial, and after much yelling at one another the twenty or so guys eventually noticed someone that didn't belong.

"Who are you? Who the hell are you?! Are you a spy?! What corporation are you from?" The corporation leader questioned.

"I am from the corporation of ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-" Replied Remedial, trailing on until he was kicked from the server. Almost every single account that was in that corporation which was allied with NORAD went dormant after that night.

Just as a note, I have more stories but I don't want to fill the thread with walls and walls of text. So if someone asks I'll post some more.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 5, 2008

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

When you mentioned how freighters get all their cargo destroyed now, I was so sure you were going to bring up "Freighter full of Roes--or why [x] is the dumbest fucker in Goonfleet"

That was a good day, even if it wasn't really intentional griefing

Always Shirtless
Oct 14, 2006

by Fistgrrl

dennyk posted:

This thread has been awesome, I love reading about people's griefing exploits. Aside from EVE, about the only thing I've ever done myself is backstab people in Starcraft; I loved to join 7v1 comp stomp games and "forget" to check the Allied Victory box, so I'd still be allied with the other human players, but the game wouldn't end when we killed the computer player. Then I'd just sit back and watch the fun. A lot of times, most of the players would drop their network connection as soon as they realized someone was backstabbing (a network disconnect didn't count as a loss on your Battle.net stats, and everyone in comp stomp games was either a stats whore, a new account trying to work up to ladder competitions, or a backstabbing griefer). Sometimes, though, a few of them would stick around and start accusing each other of backstabbing. I'd try my best to fan whatever flames broke out and got a few good all-out brawls going here and there. Even got a few good fights out of 'em sometimes when I was finally discovered or the game just evolved into a free-for-all. I wasn't all that good at the game myself, so I never did anything truly hilarious like crush a half-dozen pubbies at once, but it did lead to some amusing moments. Unfortunately, any records I had of 'em are long gone now. :(

Backstabbing in 7v1 comp stomps in SC is about the only thing that I never get tired of, it's too fun just turning off shared vision for just a second, taking out a guy and running out and turning it back on without anyone noticing you just killed him. The people in them are so hilarious and it's great when you get like 2 or 3 backstabbers in 1 game.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
EVE gave me some good times to remember, griefing with Goonfleet. Too bad it was so boring most of the time.

I found this link to someone else's story. It's less a grief and more a scam, but it's quite well-written (and long). The guy gives step-by-step details of everything that went into planning and executing a very good Ponzi scheme:

Currin Trading

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

effloresce posted:

Yeah, I was a UO griefer as well. There used to be a dungeon spot (Deceit? forget which) that had a room that spawned bone knights, which had a lot of HP and high weapons skill but didn't really deal a lot of damage. So, people would line up at the entrance and crossheal, hitting the BKs with daggers and low damage weapons in order to grind their weapons skills and healing up. It was really cool, everyone got good gains and everyone cooperated.

Except me.

It was Trammel, so there was no open PvP. But, spawning all around were nasty things - poison elementals were my weapon of choice. My friend and I would run around and get a bunch of poo poo following us, and charge fearlessly into the wall of training people from both sides. Then hide. Simple and lame, not elegant like some of the crazy scams out there.

The craziest one I have ever heard of in Ultima Online comes from a member of the goon guild on the Hybrid freeshard. As I recall it, he got close to some chick in-game when he was like 12, 13, they did the in-game wedding and stuff. Nothing really romantic, but kindasortayouknowhowthatgoes. Anyway, she had like 4 accounts and a ton of huge houses packed with crazy rares and poo poo, with fully developed characters on each acct. Anyway, she goes on vacation for two weeks and leaves our goon friend with her usernames and passes so he can keep the houses refreshed - you have to enter and exit them every so often or they fall down. Anyway, he loots every acct she has, sells the houses and the rares, deletes the characters.

A few days later, he gets a call from the police about identity theft blah blah, he said she gave him the info which was the truth, and they lost interest. He did get another call, though, from the "caregiver" of the woman he looted. Apparently she was heavily paralyzed with many health problems, and UO was all she did with her life. After the looting, she attempted suicide with sleeping pills, and when the caregiver found her, she was almost dead.

Anyway, yeah, griefing loving rocks. :dance:

This thread has many incredibly funny stories of good humored griefing. I laughed so hard I cried dozens of times, more then a handful of times till my stomach hurt.

I have to be honest, this one is a failure. It is not comical or entertaining, just mean.

Let me summarize:

A goon gained the trust of some gulliable young girl and then hosed her in a very boring manner. Apparently this gullible young girl was also a cripple whose only joy in life was UO. We robbed her of this joy and ruined her life.

Real cool.

99 w00tballons
May 1, 2008

Mniot posted:

EVE gave me some good times to remember, griefing with Goonfleet. Too bad it was so boring most of the time.

I found this link to someone else's story. It's less a grief and more a scam, but it's quite well-written (and long). The guy gives step-by-step details of everything that went into planning and executing a very good Ponzi scheme:

Currin Trading

Just read this, but holy poo poo is that both long and devious, especially when you look at the fact that the guy made off with $20000 worth of isk in about half a year.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Diogines posted:

Real cool.

Exactly!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Flashing Twelve posted:

Six minutes ago:

Crouch and get close to it as possible, then aim about 45 degrees to the left. Just look around for that sweet spot.

You have no idea how elated I am to be wrong about this.

afaak
Mar 17, 2005

At once as far as Angels kenn he views /
The dismal Situation waste and wilde, /
A Dungeon horrible, on all sides round
If anybody's interested in coordinating a mass effort of joining one server together, going pyro, and immediately letting loose with flares to achieve bigger results, faster, hit me up on Steam. My ID is "Shatai" (or by e-mail, jskarzin@shaw.ca)

The flaregun brotherhood awaits.

Jesus Horse
Feb 24, 2004

Diogines posted:

This thread has many incredibly funny stories of good humored griefing. I laughed so hard I cried dozens of times, more then a handful of times till my stomach hurt.

I have to be honest, this one is a failure. It is not comical or entertaining, just mean.

Let me summarize:

A goon gained the trust of some gulliable young girl and then hosed her in a very boring manner. Apparently this gullible young girl was also a cripple whose only joy in life was UO. We robbed her of this joy and ruined her life.

Real cool.

Its only a game.

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

IF A ROBOT IS BUILT IN THE FORM OF HUMAN BEINGS IT IS HARAAM

Jesus Horse posted:

Its only a game.

That story is kinda :smith: regardless.

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

Shatai posted:

If anybody's interested in coordinating a mass effort of joining one server together, going pyro, and immediately letting loose with flares to achieve bigger results, faster, hit me up on Steam. My ID is "Shatai" (or by e-mail, jskarzin@shaw.ca)

In the top spawn on 2fort theres a resupply right next to a coat rack that you can sit at and mash flares into indefinitely without moving at all. This causes extreme lag and if you do it for about 10 minutes the game becomes almost unplayable. People got really angry when it became impossible to snipe.

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

WOW I AM A SHITTY POST COOL HUH

Diogines posted:

:arghfist::cry:

Hello, Diogines.

I am the roommate of the guy effloresce mentioned.

My roommate (Shay) has a genetic condition that causes him to be about two hundred pounds overweight. He was born without his left leg, and his right foot had to be amputated a couple years ago due to his diabetic condition. His condition leaves him unemployable, and due to his parents being truly incompetent about paperwork, he is ineligible for disability payments. As if this wasn't enough of a cross to bear, he also has a kidney condition which is causing him to slowly go blind, and within two weeks he will likely be homeless, as his roommate (me) has already given him thirty days' notice. The one bright spot he's had in the past ten years has been ripping off that chick in Ultima Online, whose friend made up some ridiculous story about her being a retarded cripple or whatever to try and guilt him into undoing whatever could be undone.

effloresce and I had each chipped in five dollars to buy the guy an account, that he might read this thread and have a brief reminder of his glory days before his vision fails completely.

I just came home from the fireworks to find him sitting in front of his computer, his head rolled back, your post on the screen. On the desk was a bottle of Valerian root. That bottle was full this morning. It's now quite less than full - in fact, it is half empty.

I don't care what it was that was running through your head when you made that post. But the next time you feel compelled to launch off into a sanctimonious lecture, just take a moment to reflect upon the potential consequences of your self-centered, tunnel-visioned actions.

We paid $10 so that he could be here. You hurt his feelings.

Real cool.

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

What the hell is that on the ceiling?

Shatai posted:

I'll probably contact you sometime this weekend and hit up some games with you. It's so much fun. :D

Moop Moop
Aug 26, 2006

If you drank half a bottle of valerian root wouldn't that just give you a stomach ache?

Also if I could rip off a cripple on UO hybrid I would do it in a heartbeat, all the regulars on that server are scum.

effloresce
May 19, 2008
oh god what is the overdose level on Valerian. Someone get TCC in here stat, the internet has people that need saving.

edit: it is with great sadness that I have to tell you that Shay has died of valerian root overdose as of 11:54 PM, July 4 2008. He did not swallow them, but consumed them anally (as he did many things) and you know that goes straight to the brain.

Thanks, goons. Thanks a lot.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.

Dirk Muscleton posted:

Hello, Diogines.

I am the roommate of the guy effloresce mentioned.

My roommate (Shay) has a genetic condition that causes him to be about two hundred pounds overweight. He was born without his left leg, and his right foot had to be amputated a couple years ago due to his diabetic condition. His condition leaves him unemployable, and due to his parents being truly incompetent about paperwork, he is ineligible for disability payments. As if this wasn't enough of a cross to bear, he also has a kidney condition which is causing him to slowly go blind, and within two weeks he will likely be homeless, as his roommate (me) has already given him thirty days' notice. The one bright spot he's had in the past ten years has been ripping off that chick in Ultima Online, whose friend made up some ridiculous story about her being a retarded cripple or whatever to try and guilt him into undoing whatever could be undone.

effloresce and I had each chipped in five dollars to buy the guy an account, that he might read this thread and have a brief reminder of his glory days before his vision fails completely.

I just came home from the fireworks to find him sitting in front of his computer, his head rolled back, your post on the screen. On the desk was a bottle of Valerian root. That bottle was full this morning. It's now quite less than full - in fact, it is half empty.

I don't care what it was that was running through your head when you made that post. But the next time you feel compelled to launch off into a sanctimonious lecture, just take a moment to reflect upon the potential consequences of your self-centered, tunnel-visioned actions.

We paid $10 so that he could be here. You hurt his feelings.

Real cool.

Are you really picking on this guy when you apparently kicked out this crippled boy? I mean I know he can't pay rent and poo poo but how about you help him out?

Given that this wasn't a fakepost that is.

Either way, you TF2 guys hit me up on Steam when you're going to gently caress with pubbies. My steam ID is the same as my SA name.

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

McSpanky posted:

You have no idea how elated I am to be wrong about this.
Goons ruin everything they touch.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Turns out (thankfully) I was wrong. 3 servers down and counting!

On Goldrush you can even get both colours together

quote:

Furious : You stupid loving pieces of poo poo, i hope you die in a loving fire you ignorant imbred redneck couldnt get laid trash

quote:

Furious : Indeed, that is my name, learn it well, you slanty eye rice eating gook

goodog fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 5, 2008

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 30, 2014

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

So if someone asks I'll post some more.

By all means. These are great reads, the more the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Fatrick posted:

Man, everyone on that sever HATED us, it was goddamn hilarious

I am convinced that our best guild ever was the SWG one.

The game was famous for being just plain bad, and yet goons joined by the hatful just to be with us after posting some of our stories. I guess those stories are still in archives if you have an archive account, and are worth hunting up.

People would move their guild planets away to get away from us. And that just made us more determined to upset them!

• Locked thread