Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parkour Lewis
Apr 10, 2002

Yes I wanna play.
I really really do.

Funso Banjo posted:

I am convinced that our best guild ever was the SWG one.

The game was famous for being just plain bad, and yet goons joined by the hatful just to be with us after posting some of our stories. I guess those stories are still in archives if you have an archive account, and are worth hunting up.

People would move their guild planets away to get away from us. And that just made us more determined to upset them!

Yeah, I joined after the first SWG thread was posted, which was apparently when everything was dying down in Goontown. The last thing I remember is me and some other guys were planning the "Million Goon March" on Theed to protest the absence of afro-american NPCs on Naboo, which for some reason fell apart completely. A month later some stupid drama about dancers in the mantina and a complete lack of anything funny from Goontown made me suddenly realize that I was just playing a really horrible MMO for no good reason, so I quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isko
May 20, 2008
Well, me and Shatai went around crashing a couple of servers. We were putting flares EVERYWHERE.

We loaded up the intel room with flares and put a sentry in it. I figured it might be a little tough to take out a sentry at 5 fps.

In the second server someone was trying to get us votekicked but Shatai kept getting the vote against him first. Somehow we didn't get kicked even once and he got kicked mutliple times.

I got to admit, that server was pretty sturdy.

Isko fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 5, 2008

tifoso
Jun 21, 2004

Fhtagn! (consider revising)
This thread has made me laugh like few others. Great stories and some great write ups. I'll add my own little episode, which took place in a game that so far no one here has mentioned. Interstate 76: I think it must be one of the earliest instances of internet game greifing ever--barring any old school MUDs (although I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

Interstate 76 was quite ahead of it's time in terms of multiplayer mayhem. People could create their own rooms, choose a track, what car they wanted, and the weapons they mounted (from machine guns to napalm hoses), then they'd go ahead and try to blast each other to pieces. Some rooms, however, were not devoted to deathmatch games. Players used to make "racing only" rooms, in which they'd get the fastest cars to simply race around a pre-determined circuit on each map. That's right. Entire maps of people without guns mounted on their vehicles, in low armor speeders.

Now, griefing them by going in there and simply bazookaing their cars as they raced wouldn't be that much fun. Part of the pleasure of griefing involves surprise. Catching people out in creative buttfuckery. My friend Kevin and I would join these rooms, both of our cars overloaded with mines. We'd line up with the rest of the cars at the starting line and wait for the countdown. After the first corner, we'd pretend to fall behind, and as soon as we'd lost sight of the racers, we'd make a mad dash for the narrowest part of the circuit. We'd scramble over hills and dunes trying to beat the racers to the bottleneck, and out of eyeshot, we'd deposit a humongous payload of mines on the track.

Then we'd drive to a hill overlooking the road and turn out engines off (this would make you disappear from the radar). You could look through binoculars in the game, and we'd sit there for half a minute watching the spot where the cars were to drive by. Soon enough, a line of 70's roadsters would appear on the horizon, speeding towards a bottleneck peppered with enough mines to destroy a tank.

As the race leader hit the bottleneck at full speed, you'd typically get a "WTF!" followed by a series of explosions that sent his car straight up into the sky. For those trailing behind, it was too late for them to break, and they'd plow unceremoniously into the minefield with their tires locked. About fifteen seconds later it would start to rain burning car parts.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

El Negocio posted:

"#teamfurtress2"? :gonk:

You should hit those guys again if you have the chance.

afaak
Mar 17, 2005

At once as far as Angels kenn he views /
The dismal Situation waste and wilde, /
A Dungeon horrible, on all sides round

Isko posted:

I got to admit, that server was pretty sturdy.

And the ensuing three man flare sweatshop in action.

"why you guys doing this stupid poo poo, huh? why??"
"we like to making many decorations for good fun! you like? :downs:"

Dogo
Sep 24, 2007

tifoso posted:

Interstate 76

Haha that reminded me of something I used to do in Garry's Mod. While nothing spectacular, I always got a good kick out of it.

Occasionally I would join a server filled with a bunch of 12-14 year olds who were absolutely determined to hold race events on whatever random map the server was on at the time. They would all spend time designating a track and setting up a start and finish line, then decorating their pre-fab'd jeep vehicles from HL2. While they were busy doing this, I would run down the 'track' to about wherever the first turn was, and start setting up my trap. If you haven't played Garry's Mod, its basically a sandbox game where you can make almost any kind of creation you want with various tools like welders and property modifiers, etc. Your main tool is a physics gun which allows you to grab, move and turn whatever objects you spawn. I would start spawning large metal doors, change their texture to be almost completely transparent, and then lay them flat on the ground. I would do these 1 at a time so as to not raise too much suspicion from the guys messing with their cars before the race started. After I had about 10-12 of these placed in a square on the ground, I would then weld them all together and position the whole platform flat on the ground right in front of the first turn of the track and wait for the race to start. One of the organizers would begin to countdown over voice chat and everyone would slam on the gas and start barreling down the track. I would just sit watching and waiting for all the cars to drive over the platform, and once the majority of them were on it, using my physics gun I would launch the invisible platform into the air, sending their cars flying, spinning, and flipping in all directions.

The 12 year old screams over voice chat of "Whaaat the hellll!!!!!!!" "Who the heck did that???" and others made it all worth it.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Gmod is second only to Second Life in the sheer amount of ways you can grief the poo poo out of people. I usually only do it if someone has done it to me (Gmod has quite a lot of griefers, but it mainly consists of just crashing the server by spawning a gently caress ton of stuff at once), or when someone has been obnoxious/stuck up enough to enough people.

On some pub server once, some admin was basically giving loads of people poo poo for things he didn't want them doing, which seemingly was everything. "Get out of skybox, OR KICK", "No fireworks, OR KICK", "Stop doing that, OR KICK", "Thruster noise off, OR KICK" to several people doing various things. His ultimatum about thruster noise gave me an idea though. Thrusters are basically exactly what you'd expect - they make things move. The idea is you weld a bunch of them to something and then switch them on, so you get movement on a mundane object - they have quite a lot of settings to customise, but one of them is whether it makes sound or not.
The thruster sound is loving irritating as poo poo I admit - if you use thruster sound, on the vast majority of servers you'll get told within seconds to turn it the gently caress off because it's basically an incredibly loud, grating hiss you can hear from just about anywhere. Seeing him (rightly) flip out about thruster sound, but tired of him basically stopping anyone from doing anything by tacking "OR KICK" to the end of every other sentence, I had a cruel idea. I spawned a small object, attached an invisible thruster to it, and froze them both in mid-air so they couldn't move. I then turned the thruster on to make the "HISSSSSSSSSSS" noise, but just left it on - it was undetectable and i'd put it in a little nook no-one would bump into by accident and find an invisible object.
Of course, his first reaction was "THRUSTER SOUNDS OFF OR KICK". I left it on for around 20 minutes or so with Gmod muted, listening to music, watching everyone in the server flip the gently caress out at the constant blaring hissing noise they couldn't get rid of.

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
The above post contents, username and tagline combination is hilarious.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I Said No posted:

By all means. These are great reads, the more the better.

OK.

A Retard Pinata

Goonfleet had a gimmick that pissed people off to no end. We rolled in huge numbers in really lovely ships that would still ruin anyone's day. It was a real annoyance to people that had rare ships worth a ridiculous amount of money. Sure, they were good against people in 1 on 1 or 1 on 3, but 1 on 30 and their shiny ships were worthless. People that played for three to five years were being taken down by hordes of players only two months old in ships worth a fraction of their's. This was griefing, at least to them.

One day we found a Dreadnaught lurking up the pipe, something we'd never seen before... And it was mining. We wanted that loving killmail, and so a bunch of us all jumped into a bunch of frigates and a handful of battleships and rolled up the pipe. I think there were seventy of us, and when we appeared his ship was too slow to safe spot or get to the station. But it was a Moros, and if he was attacked he could have killed a lot of ships with his drones. Unfortunately for him, he couldn't kill them quite fast enough. He kept coming back because he had a lot more money than brains, and I think all in all we eventually got two or three of his Dreadnaughts. :shobon:

Autobahned

Way way back, before Goonfleet was really cooking there were two goons that were griefing the magical land of EVE. Their names were Remedial ( the fat retard ) and First Name Last Name, a screaming retard that would eventually be so infamous he was virtually KoS to everyone in EVE.

I forget exactly why they decided to antagonize this one corp, but they found out one of the big guys within it had a death in the family. As the story went, his son ( Smokse, in game ) was high and decided that riding a scooter on the autobahn was a great idea. Unfortunately he failed to dodge the grill of a semi-truck. His father in turn named a space station after his dead son. A light clicked in Remedial and FNLN's head, and they waited until they saw his father idling in the space station named after his son.

They then undocked in a frigate and a large hauler ship. The hauler was named 'Truck Beep Beep' and the frigate was named 'Smokse fused with scooter'. Just outside the station, Remedial kept ramming the frigate over and over again while they chatted in local chat.

"OH GOD SAVE ME DAD OH HELP OH GOD THE BLOOD." FNLN would say.
"BEEP. BEEP BEEP BEEP. BEEEEEEEEP." Remedial would say as he rammed the ship over and over again.

Everytime his father undocked from the station to fight them, they'd just dock again, wait a little while, pop out and do it all over again. Later on some goons would use Smokse and that incident as a way to piss German players off, and eventually it got so bad that the GMs just declared they'd ban anyone that mentioned Smokse in any way from that day on.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I joined a random server this morning. To see if this actually worked.

(Click for big)

(It is my birthday today!)

I started to notice someone talking about decoration and then realized there was someone else doing it to. I asked him the question and he turned out to be a goon. :iamafag: (Sup, art.)

And then this happened.

Note: Even on the lowest setting this brings my 8800gt superclock to it's knees.

Edit: If you want to join up add "Pieces of flair"

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 5, 2008

XenophobicAirport
Dec 15, 2007

Please have your weapons prepared at the terminal.

quote:

Flare griefing pictures.

Holy Jesus what have I unleashed?

....I need to join you guys. Me and another goon have been looking for a more co-ordinated effort. We go around servers with a [TEAM FLARE] tag. If you're gonna go out and do this, please put a "TEAM FLARE" tag into your name so we recognize each other when we bump into each other, as it seems to have already happened once.

Edit:
:siren:Steam group for TEAM FLARE has now been set up! Join it if you want to find other goons to grief with.:siren:

Group URL:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/TEAMFLARE

XenophobicAirport fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 5, 2008

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Smoske.
And so the Great EVE War began.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
A few UO stories I remember, told to me by other goons.

The Heist

Someone had found an Earthquake spell scroll, a spell that would hit a large area ( an entire screen I think ) and damage everything in it. Seeing as how he was bored, he decided to use it in a creative way. He went to a busy bank, teleported onto a nearby roof and announced 'NOBODY MOVE THIS IS A ROBBERY!' then launched the spell. For every person he hit, a guard spawned, and the server fell over and died. Supposedly the GM was too busy laughing at him to take any action against his account.

Llama Bombs

In UO, there were these potions that were more or less grenades. Timed grenades. They weren't really that effective, but hey, they could kill someone if you were creative. Someone figured out that if you activated one and put it on a pack animal, the fuse would freeze wherever it was as long as it was in the pack animal. He and his friends devised a plan and got ready to loot, then loaded down a llama with something like fifty of the exploding potions.

They walked with the Llama of Doom towards the busiest bank they could find, then got as far the gently caress away from it as they could get. They then told the pack animal to 'drop all'. It decimated the crowd, killing everyone that was on the screen around the pack animal. Nobody knew what the hell happened, and they easily made off with tons and tons of loot and repeated the same attack at different banks across the game. Eventually it became so infamous that every time someone got close to a bank with a llama, everyone ran for their lives.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Llama Bombs

I think this might be the best story Ive ever read.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
These EVE stories are making me nostalgic. I played 2 years ago about this time, during a really fun time in Goonfleet.

Anyone still playing EVE: is it still as good? Is goonfleet as big as ever? Has lag been alleviated at all? I don't want to rejoin just to find nothing interesting left in the game.

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

These EVE stories are making me nostalgic. I played 2 years ago about this time, during a really fun time in Goonfleet.

Anyone still playing EVE: is it still as good? Is goonfleet as big as ever? Has lag been alleviated at all? I don't want to rejoin just to find nothing interesting left in the game.
Better, bigger, not at all. Pretty dull though, we're mostly killing off lovely alliances like R0ADKILL and SMASH.

Any Australians who want in on flaregunning right now, check into ausgoons chat.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Llama Bombs

In UO, there were these potions that were more or less grenades. Timed grenades. They weren't really that effective, but hey, they could kill someone if you were creative. Someone figured out that if you activated one and put it on a pack animal, the fuse would freeze wherever it was as long as it was in the pack animal. He and his friends devised a plan and got ready to loot, then loaded down a llama with something like fifty of the exploding potions.

They walked with the Llama of Doom towards the busiest bank they could find, then got as far the gently caress away from it as they could get. They then told the pack animal to 'drop all'. It decimated the crowd, killing everyone that was on the screen around the pack animal. Nobody knew what the hell happened, and they easily made off with tons and tons of loot and repeated the same attack at different banks across the game. Eventually it became so infamous that every time someone got close to a bank with a llama, everyone ran for their lives.
Jihad llamas!

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Good loving god if I didn't have a fear of clusters I'd be all over that pyro poo poo...
What's a fear of clusters called again? Like lots of spots together?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

XTimmy posted:

Good loving god if I didn't have a fear of clusters I'd be all over that pyro poo poo...

Insane?

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Style and Flare here. It's like an international collaboration with [TEAM FLARE].

We're on Lotus Clan 2 now.

Flashing Twelve fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 5, 2008

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

XTimmy posted:

I hate them too, but only with holes like wtftit.

We crashed a server. It took like 20 minutes with 4-5 people, but after the first 2 it was lagging so bad everyone else quit.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Flashing Twelve posted:

Style and Flare here. It's like an international collaboration with [TEAM FLARE].

We're on Lotus Clan 2 now.

Another server down. Add http://steamcommunity.com/id/insomne to your friend's list.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

drunken officeparty posted:

I hate them too, but only with holes like wtftit.

We crashed a server. It took like 20 minutes with 4-5 people, but after the first 2 it was lagging so bad everyone else quit.

It's drawn a bit of attention- Valve will probably patch it out before I get the achievements necessary.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700247

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

Soulpudding posted:

You got griefed in RL teehee

Griefing the Arcade Scene

So some people might know I play (well, played mostly) fighting games competitively for quite a while. There were a few games I was tournament-capable at, but for the one game I played seriously (Guilty Gear XX and its sequals) I was one of the top players in the country. I would often play at the local arcade with my friends (who were likewise very good) and when we would get bored of playing seriously with each other we would devolve into seeing how badly we could grief the other people trying to play.

Common tactics included:

-Seeing someone walk into the arcade and put up a coin, and both players immediately sandbagging and playing like rear end, jumping around mashing moves and generally looking like random arcade scrubs, then as soon as the new player inserted his quarter pulling massive, full-life combos and complete lockdown pressure out of nowhere and double perfecting the poor bastard. Usually the guy wouldn't understand what had just happened and would stick around for at least one more game.

-Switching out the player after every round, even against the same opponent. We never asked for permission to do this, and would do it after winning rounds as opposed to losing

-Asking the opponent to pick the character I would play

-Killing an opponent with nothing but airthrows, or uppercuts, or the Punch button

-Winning by time outs every round

-Spending the entire fight talking to friends, not even fully facing the cabinet, obviously not paying the slightest attention to the game despite slaughtering the opponent

One of my roommates preferred going to the arcade while alone and picking Slayer (a vampire character who had a difficult but practical throw infinite in the original Guilty Gear XX) and performing nothing but invulnverable bite infinites for 30+ matches in a row as lines of scrubs would burn money trying to beat him. He considered stopping when someone threw a metal stool at him once, but decided that was even more reason to continue on.

Another one of my friends (zand from these very forums) is even worse; he will stand behind whoever is playing and give commentary along the lines of "Remember, scrubs can't block low" and "this guy is terrible" while the person is still sitting there, playing. Actually the stuff he says is usually worse, but those always stand out the most.

I'm tempted to call this a fakepost.

Leon Kowalski
Dec 9, 2007

Wolf Den this is Lone Wolf, do you read? Prepare for emergency landing, arriving with American POWs!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I love it. I think the delight turned to horror is delivered perfectly.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Constantine XI posted:

Never underestimate how much time arcade 'pros' spend on their craft. I saw stuff even weirder than this when i worked as an arcade manager.

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!

tifoso posted:

This thread has made me laugh like few others. Great stories and some great write ups. I'll add my own little episode, which took place in a game that so far no one here has mentioned. Interstate 76

Whenever people bring up Interstate 76, it reminds me that apparently there must not have been that many people that knew about the naming cheats. That worked online.

Basically, by using certain names you could be in special vehicles you normally couldn't get. The majority of these were NPC cars from the single player game, and while neat and all, didn't really help too much or matter. Well, except for the fact that one of them was a helicopter. So while everyone else drove around on the ground shooting at each other, I got to fly around and rain missiles and rockets on them from above, where the only way to kill me would be to have me run into an errant cactus.

The only other griefing I remember doing that hasn't been mentioned yet was in the first Starsiege: Tribes game, and specifically the early versions of a mod called Renegades.

You see in Renegades they wanted to add more versions of armor and weapons, and also each armor class would have their own special grenades, one class was in a heavy slow armor that they decided to give nuke grenades which would give a big showy explosion and do loads of damage to everything in the area, including normally the guy tossing them out which I guess seemed balanced to the designer.

However, they also changed beacons into little speed boosts you could use that when used in midair would send you flying forward a little faster than you were. Also the old ammo backpacks were still in game which would still let you carry a ton of beacons and grenades. So after changing the name to something B52 related, I'd get my nuke bomber suit, ski down a hill then using beacons, fly off a ramp so far into the air that the ground was completely obscured by fog. And then when passing over the enemy base, spamming the grenade key which would wipe out absolutely everything, and then I just suicide, respawn and repeat effectively keeping the enemy from doing anything except hiding deep inside their base if the map allowed that.

Of course it's not like my team could go in and mop them up either since my friend would be running around with another great invention of the Renegades mod maker, the Demo Pack, which was essentially a suicide bomb that had the same effect as the Nuke Grenade but in a much larger radius and would only go off if you killed yourself. Needless to say, the team could only make it about halfway across a map.

And then they updated Renegades and removed the Nuke Grenades and Demo Packs. :saddowns:

Major Burns
Jul 25, 2007

Lagging servers with the flare gun is the most fun I've had with tf2 so far.

Constantine XI posted:

That's not what a fakepost looks like :colbert:

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
It was fun. I got to hang out with a bunch of ausigoons today on tf2. Hopefully someone will compile a video out of it.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
If anyone ever played the Cybernations game, a bunch of friend and I were great griefers in there. We made literally hundreds of multi-nations, when you were only allowed to have one, and spied and stole left and right.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Revdomezehis posted:

Starsiege: Tribes

I played this game religiously, and got pretty good at it. I generally played Biowasteland, a modification based off of an adaptation of shifter, based off of shifter, based off of renegades. The number of items and options over the original was something obscenely exponential.

Martha Stewart Home Invasions

There was a bevy of items added to the game that were designed specifically for griefing, like base control switches. If placed within a certain distance of the opposing teams's power source, you could switch to your team all inventory stations, ammo stations and turrets in that generator's network to your team. You could then proceed to fortify your position within their base with all manner of turrets. Since base control switches are not exactly subtle, lightweight or small, it was generally not advisable to barrel over to the other teams base plant the switch and then expect to get away with base stealing. Engineers (the builder class) could hack enemy inventories to their team, establish a network of turrets and defenses around their position, and then deploy the base control switch and inconvenience a GOOD team for five to ten minutes as the entire team is forced to methodically probe and destroy the defenses you'd so carefully set up. To fully appreciate the amount of misery you were inflicting, you could deploy a communications intercept antenna, that would reveal the opposing team's teamchat to everyone on your side.

Making this all the easier and circumventing most of the enemy defenses were "portable holes", deployable on any surface that allowed you to warp through the geometry and do things like get through the ground, base walls or ceilings to get to generators, flags, or parts of the map that the designer had not wanted to permit you access to. Since there were also player deployable teleports, you could move your entire team directly into the enemy base and completely overwhelm confused defenders.

Put Away for Life (Short as it is)

Like several mods, biowasteland had a deployable "jail" that when deployed, could incarcerate players on the opposing team for 20 seconds before releasing them outside. Why bother killing someone when you can put them so far away or underground that they might as well kill themselves anyway? This is how the principle was supposed to work, anyway. Once it was discovered that with some shenaniganry, you could get inside your team's jail, you could deploy all sorts of things to kill people inside, and death was no escape from the law.

Cactus Penises, and Other Admin Delights

The mod had a bevy of hilarious and obnoxious admin functions, like forcing people to third person view and into a state where they couldn't perform any actions until they got killed. Another form of punishment was to admin-add an item to the player's inventory that was one of the cactus models, positioned like a dong, and forced into the equipped position, and when you tried to fire, it just glowed. The weight of the item was set to the maximum, so you theoretically couldn't use any weapons, and you couldn't fly. Invulnerability was also conferred so you couldn't just get killed immediately and be put out of your misery. Both of these were easily circumvented, the first by just tapping C twice, and the other by scrolling down in one's inventory screen and dropping the dong.

In earlier versions of the mod, the "torture" menu was not admin only, it was only visible to them in the tab menu. If you knew how to use the console, you could activate it yourself and grief players in just about any way possible beyond kicking, killing and banning them. My friends and I exploited this relatively shamelessly until it was finally patched out, but not without a great deal of "OMGWTF HOW U GET ADMIN UR NT (clan name)".

There was a clan that was comprised largely of loudmouthed, obnoxious faggots who had their own server, so bothering them was fantastic and the cries of impotent rage were music to my ears. Well one day after most of the exploits and workarounds had been removed, I was playing on the clan's server and got donged for being mouthy. I'd written a script that autodropped the dong as soon as it was added to the inventory, so all that it did to me was unequip my weapon and cause a slight stutter if I was flying. Repeatedly killing the admin/clan leader while he was trying to figure out why I wasn't at all effected was stupendous.

Same server, same jackass, post patch (this was after it had been fixed so you couldn't drop it.) I got donged again, and figuring that I might still have some fun, I changed my class to an assassin, who does damage on contact with another player model, and then ran around the largely 2-dimensional map (it was a closed-in maze designed for nerve-wracking fights in a gamemode called eliminator, where each team tries to kill off the other for a certain number of rounds), invulnerable, while still being able to do damage to people. Binding "FEAR MY GLOWING COCK!" to the "Come get some!" voicefile made it perfect.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I can't seem to spam flares fast enough to cause enough grief to the 4chan servers. Any tips? I'm firing at wooden surfaces at angles between 30 and 45 degrees, near ammo piles or cabinets.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just tried to pull the flare glitch off, and it seems like they got patched out.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
My game handle is infamous in Navy Field. Navy Field is a simple game, wherein players in ships ranging from frigates to battleships and carriers shoot at one another in a manner similar to Gunbound. There were a certain number of battleships and carriers allowed per team, but everything else wasn't capped. The problem was a lot of people were incredibly loving stupid, loud, and annoying. Thus, we ( Goons ) started to antagonize the poo poo out of everyone.

Fun With Frigates

In Navy Field, if you get REALLY close to another ship you would instantly shoot down any plane they launched or had landing on their decks. That meant that if it got close enough, a frigate ( level one base ship ) could effectively remove most carriers from the game for as long as it stayed there. It also had the side effect of killing a shitload of pilots and the planes themselves were expensive.

We decided we were bored of the grind and we got in the best frigates we could use, and we loaded them only with enough people to steer the ship. The result was a tiny ship that went close to sixty or seventy knots and was nearly impossible to hit unless you were really close. What made it even better was the fact that there was no collision detection for ships, so you could clip into the defenseless carriers and stay there.

Between us, we could lock out every single carrier the enemy had. Even better was when they'd actually try to kill you. I saw at least three different carriers try to bomb the frigates on top of them, only to blow themselves up with their own bombs or torpedoes.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Tain posted:

I just tried to pull the flare glitch off, and it seems like they got patched out.
I thought so too, but you really have to get the angles and surfaces just right. It worked all of 30min ago. The flares stick but I can't shoot enough to lag the server.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

I thought so too, but you really have to get the angles and surfaces just right. It worked all of 30min ago. The flares stick but I can't shoot enough to lag the server.

Just gotta keep at it. Big name servers are pretty heavy duty and will take a lot more then you will ever be able to do to crash it before you are noticed.

BrockStar
Jan 3, 2004

Tain posted:

Crouch, and look up and slightly to the left. If standing look down and slightly to the left.

No idea why this doesn't work when looking to the right, but I'd guess it's tied to the bug that lets you shoot grenades through the gates during setup.

BrockStar fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 5, 2008

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

Just gotta keep at it. Big name servers are pretty heavy duty and will take a lot more then you will ever be able to do to crash it before you are noticed.

Pretty much. Not that long ago I was playing when suddenly I saw some 'Team Flare' people join. I inquired "Do you have stairs in your house?" to which someone said "No , but I have flares in my house." I joined them, with four people in all shooting the flares everywhere we could. Ten minutes later the server crashed.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Shumagorath posted:

I can't seem to spam flares fast enough to cause enough grief to the 4chan servers. Any tips? I'm firing at wooden surfaces at angles between 30 and 45 degrees, near ammo piles or cabinets.

You just have to fire at an angle. For me the flare would always stick just to the right of the gun. Once you get it it's easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furril
Apr 26, 2003

by Ozmaugh
My problem is when I start shootign flares... they disappear after about 10 seconds. Does this happen?

• Locked thread