Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Shatai posted:

Friend and group invite sent.

could i get an invite? http://steamcommunity.com/id/3DGAYWORLD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Dash O Pepper posted:

All the talk about BF2 exploits and none mentioning the hilarious jeep drop, artillery glitch.

As a commander, you can drop supplies, order squads around, and launch artillery in certain areas. Later, Dice implemented a new command, the jeep drop which would spawn a jeep with a little parachute that would fall on the designated location. While this was all fun and good for dropping on snipers and dicking around with (dropping jeeps in enemy airfields), there was a glitch that crashed servers and caused immense amounts of comedy. If you initiated an artillery strike on an area which took a few seconds to start, then initiated a jeep drop on the same spot, chances are an artillery shell would hit the falling jeep. Due to some weird bug, instead of just blowing up the jeep, the jeep would turn into a veritable FOUNTAIN of jeeps.

To put it in perspective, when the jeep was hit, it would turn into a colossal loving geyser of jeeps, that flew up in a cone shape which would then litter the battlefield if the server didn't crash first. Hundreds upon hundreds of jeeps would be everywhere, killing players under them as they fell, planes blowing up after getting caught in the rainfall, and blocking the path anywhere for either footsoldier or tank.

As an example, it is similar to the arrow dupe glitch in Oblivion when you had a few hundred arrows, and instead of just littering the ground, it was a rainfall.

I remember that from back in the days when BF2 was popular. Found a youtube to match it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU3sR09g5TU

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
managed to kill a few games. Mostly solo though so not enough to crash anything. It was surprising how long it took people to figure out what we were doing. It was only after I started telling people that I was killing niggers and spamming "hey hey hey kill niggers everyday" that the ron paul idiot (had [ronpaul] clan tag) finally started to provide some entertainment.

Looking foward to ruining some games with goons in the future. (definitely want to try the roomba teleporter sentry magic.

:c00lbert:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Anybody have any decent ideas for Enemy Territory: Quake Wars? Besides the usual "sucker a bunch of people into your Bumblebee/APC and then crash it/drive it right into an anti-vehicle turret" tomfoolery. Sometimes I call down airstrikes or artillery on friendly positions for a cheap laugh, but there must be something I can do to really cheese people off. Ever since goons stopped playing, griefing's all it's good for :(

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
PART DEUS OF ACIDBART'S FOLLY

After I had gotten the katana and banked it. I was chilling again at the bank and who should show up but 5 minutes later? The guy who had bombed the chick! Apparently he explains to me he had a guy in waiting to quickly snag the katana, but I was much much quicker on the draw. We have a good laugh about it, and then he sudenly offers me a deal. 40K for the katana. I was sold since I used fencing weapons along with magic. So we head over to the east bank of britain to avoid a crowd and bank thieves and I had JUST opened my bank, looking at the katana. Then Einstein here tries to kill me with THE SAME TACTIC he used to kill the woman. But apparently he had ants in his pants and had already began counting down when I had barely opened my bank box. I took a few steps back out of range of his pile of exploding potions, and he chases me with the single one in his pack. He hits me for a pitiful amount of damage. He gets guardwhacked. And I get some spare exploding potions as a compensation prize on top of my new katana. 'Twas a glorious evening.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I've only just reinstalled TF2 recently because of computer issues, is it going to be possible for me to rack up enough pyro achievements to get the flare gun in the day or so it will take before this gets patched out?

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Mainwaring posted:

I've only just reinstalled TF2 recently because of computer issues, is it going to be possible for me to rack up enough pyro achievements to get the flare gun in the day or so it will take before this gets patched out?

There are servers created expressly for the purpose of grinding out the achievements, so find one of those and you should be good.

afaak
Mar 17, 2005

At once as far as Angels kenn he views /
The dismal Situation waste and wilde, /
A Dungeon horrible, on all sides round

Mainwaring posted:

It's probably going to get patched out in a day or two. I wouldn't gently caress around with achievement servers, just go straight for the unlocker program you'll find rampantly posted in the TF2 thread here - there's no repercussions and you get all the extras unlocked immediately.

3D GAY WORLD posted:

could i get an invite? http://steamcommunity.com/id/3DGAYWORLD

Sent.

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this
Along with the flare gun, using setinfo to set your name to a single space provides a good 5 minutes more with a good admin to ban you. If there isn't an admin in, flare to your hearts content, you won't be on kick lists.

http://www.moar.ws/ausagoons/planattack.dem

Just from a few minutes ago, it gets good about halfway when the admin proclaims that I can't be found on the list. The flares are still there, even though I got banned.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Shatai posted:

It's probably going to get patched out in a day or two. I wouldn't gently caress around with achievement servers, just go straight for the unlocker program you'll find rampantly posted in the TF2 thread here - there's no repercussions and you get all the extras unlocked immediately.

Just did that, thanks a lot.
Here's my steam id if anyone wants to invite me for this.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972321437

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1
Jul 30, 2004

by elpintogrande
Adter reading all the great creative ways to grief people, a group of people crashing tf2 servers by spamming the flare gun exploit sounds really loving pathetic.

Can't you see the difference between creative griefing and just being a lowest common denominator dickhead? Where is your pride?

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

100%BEEF posted:

Adter reading all the great creative ways to grief people, a group of people crashing tf2 servers by spamming the flare gun exploit sounds really loving pathetic.

Can't you see the difference between creative griefing and just being a lowest common denominator dickhead? Where is your pride?

Actually it sounds pretty hilarious.

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this

100%BEEF posted:

You sound like someone who just got griefed. Goon pride.

Thello
Jan 14, 2007

Captain's Log...

100%BEEF posted:

They like to live vicariously. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

XenophobicAirport
Dec 15, 2007

Please have your weapons prepared at the terminal.
"I don't know how they are doing this, but everyone that did was in a group named [TEAM FLARE]."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02hI0CakeMk

Looks like we've reached Youtube.

XenophobicAirport fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 6, 2008

iamstinky
Feb 4, 2004

This is not as easy as it looks.
My old guild in EQ compiled this list/scoring system:

quote:

NOTE - For your train to be valid for rating under the CFTI, it must be an UNPLANNED train. While any idiot can maliciously cause a train if they set their mind to it, TRUE training comes from the heart. It is the wondrous alignment of lag, carelessness, and sheer dumb luck that coalesces into a living, breathing example of Chaos Theory at it's finest. Spontaneity is your goal, and this is defeated by premeditation or intentional efforts to increase your CFTI once you realize your innocent little pull has mutated into the most feared of all events . . . a train.

This index would not have been possible without the dedicated, nay FANATIC efforts of the many pullers within Club Fu and the many suggestions from others across all servers. I would thank you individually, but I'm too busy looting my corpse.

-----------------------------------------------
PULLING
You are the puller. -10 pts
Group does not know you are the puller. +15 pts
Group does not know you are pulling. +10 pts
Group deliberately misled into thinking you are NOT pulling. +50 pts
Did you pull while group members were AFK? +5 pts per AFK member
Was it the Enchanter or Cleric? +10 pt bonus

WARNINGS
Did you shout a warning to the zone before the train hit? -20 pts
Did you shout a warning to the zone after the train hit? +30 pts
Did you claim, after the train, that you DID shout a warning before the train, even though you didn't? +40 pts
Did you warn your group a train was coming? -10 pts
Was it cryptic? ("Ummm...", "OMG", "3 inc I think", "may be an add", etc) +10 pts
Did you mislead your group into thinking a train was NOT coming? +20 pts

CONTENT
Number of mobs? +10 pts per mob above four
Did any of the mobs summon? +10 pts
Did any of the mobs HT/DT? +10 pts
Did they HT/DT someone else? +20 pts
Was it the bard? +30 pts
Did your train contain any "named" mobs or rare spawns? +30 pts
Did your train contain any Deities? (NOTE - Claiming you saw God during the training does not count) +40 pts
Did your train contain representatives of more than 50% of all mob types in that zone? +25 pts

IMPACT!
WTH? from witnesses. +5 pts each
WTF? from witnesses. +10 pts each
OMG! from witnesses. +5 pts each
OMFG! from witnesses. +10 pts each
Did you force any Monks/SK's/Necros to FD? +5 pts each
Did you force any Clerics to DA? +10 pts each

EVASION
Did you survive your own train? +50 pts
Did you self-inflict damage and/or zone to fake your own death in order to soften incoming accusations? +20 pts
Survivors in group who did not use FD or zone to evade death. -30 pts each

AFTERMATH
Did you claim responsibility for your train? -10 pts
Regret it? -50 pts
Brag about it? +50 pts
Blame lag? +10 pts
Blame the bard? +10 pts
Did they buy it? +30 pts

No confirmed deaths. -200 pts
Confirmed deaths. +20 pts per death
Were any deaths from classes that have Feign Death (MNK, SHD, NEC)? +20 pts each
Were any victims looting their corpses from a previous death when your train hit? +50 pts

Number of insulting/accusatory tells from train victims/witnesses. +10 pts each
Number of congratulatory tells from Monks, SK's, Rangers or other pullers. +20 pts each
Number of tells from victims rendered incoherent by rage. +25 pts each

Petitioned? +20 pts
Did you OOC/shout to the zone that trains in EQ "are a fact of life" or other similar rationalization? +10 pts
NOW were you petitioned? +40 pts
Did any victims/groupmembers quit EQ for the night? +30 pts each
Quit EQ, period? +100 pts

FOR EXPERTS ONLY
Guides killed? +40 pts each
GM's killed? +60 pts each
GM-Admins killed? x2 Multiplier
Did recovery from your train require Verant CS representatives to summon corpses/reset spawns? +50 pts

Total group wipeout. +50 pts per group
Total raid wipeout. x1.5 Multiplier
Did you ruin an RP event? +60 pts
Was it a wedding? +100 pts
Was it YOUR wedding? +200 pts

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

So if an enemy runs into a cluster of flares would they all register hits at once and instantly kill the guy?

Demmy
May 20, 2001

Dutchman & McNutty:
Putting bitches (and stray cats) in their place since '02
Requesting TEAM FLARE invite. http://steamcommunity.com/id/DemmyD

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

100%BEEF posted:

Not to mention it's loving BORING.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Maybe someone can fill me in on more details, but I recall a hack that someone in myg0t created for counter-strike source that wiped out half the servers.

I don't know how they did it, but it's similar to the TF2 flare gun grief only way more devastating and efficient. What would happen is a myg0t would join the server, and would run whatever 'hack' he had, and immediately the sky would become gray with dark clouds and it would rain flaming skulls. The skulls would never go away, thus it would eventually lag everyone out and then crash the server.

There was a TF2 one that was similar to this as well, where it would force everyone to respawn, lock them in the spawn, and then throw in hundreds and hundreds of random objects, eventually crashing the server.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Necc0 posted:

There was a TF2 one that was similar to this as well, where it would force everyone to respawn, lock them in the spawn, and then throw in hundreds and hundreds of random objects, eventually crashing the server.
This wasn't a hack, it was was just a debug "stress test" console command that Valve forgot to set as a cheat, so anybody could use it. That was fixed within a day, if I remember.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

The team flares thing is ok, but so far the last 2 pages have been crammed with your screen caps of walls covered in flares, which after a single picture isn't interesting for readers any more.

Requesting tales of interesting griefing instead, please. We're meant to be griefers of other players, not each other. Perhaps it would be best for the flarers to create another thread for organising/talking about their group.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Necc0 posted:

Maybe someone can fill me in on more details, but I recall a hack that someone in myg0t created for counter-strike source that wiped out half the servers.

I don't know how they did it, but it's similar to the TF2 flare gun grief only way more devastating and efficient. What would happen is a myg0t would join the server, and would run whatever 'hack' he had, and immediately the sky would become gray with dark clouds and it would rain flaming skulls. The skulls would never go away, thus it would eventually lag everyone out and then crash the server.

Theres this script they have that, on a server with cheats enabled, allows them to hijack the server rcon password and pretty much let them do anything they want.

Theres this video from them
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ItvOGR75oQU

but theres a funny one I'm still trying to find where this guy fucks around with a a sourcefort server
edit: hah found it http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=JUluRP667rU

Hollenhammer fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 6, 2008

Despoiler
Apr 9, 2002
I liked the part where Kuriyama did his big speech.
well its time for me to be a griefer

*spends two hours shooting flares at spawn*
*some guy complains about lag*
*a few people leave*
*admin finally reboots server and negates all your work*

heh, 2 hours of my life well spent

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

100%BEEF posted:

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Not to mention it's loving BORING.

Despoiler posted:

well its time for me to be a griefer

*spends two hours shooting flares at spawn*
*some guy complains about lag*
*a few people leave*
*admin finally reboots server and negates all your work*

heh, 2 hours of my life well spent

stop griefing them

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

Necc0 posted:

I do remember if you named yourself "%n" and you got killed it would crash the server, but that was a long time ago.

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Well, here's a somewhat interesting story. I was flaring the red battlements and the red spawn room, people at first didn't know what was going on but they caught on after about 5 minutes. An admin on the blue team asked what was happening and red team said that a pyro was shooting flares off the battlement and lagging the server. The admin said that the next person seen shooting flares off the battlement will be permabanned. Well, on 2fort pyros like to be stupid and shoot enemy snipers with flares. One of the regulars of the server (I know him because I've played on this server a few times) was doing just that. The admin didn't understand how the glitch worked and thought he was the one people were complaining about, so boom! Permabanned.

Kcow
Jul 4, 2008
From all these stories it makes me want to download the trial and try it. Is it a fun game? Is there a monthly fee? And if I do start how do I join the goon group that racked up all that damage?

EDIT: Forgot to say the game is EVE, I fail

Kcow fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 6, 2008

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

SnowWolf posted:

Well, here's a somewhat interesting story. I was flaring the red battlements and the red spawn room, people at first didn't know what was going on but they caught on after about 5 minutes. An admin on the blue team asked what was happening and red team said that a pyro was shooting flares off the battlement and lagging the server. The admin said that the next person seen shooting flares off the battlement will be permabanned. Well, on 2fort pyros like to be stupid and shoot enemy snipers with flares. One of the regulars of the server (I know him because I've played on this server a few times) was doing just that. The admin didn't understand how the glitch worked and thought he was the one people were complaining about, so boom! Permabanned.

It's moments like that which makes all of the griefing worth it Imagine the pubbie tears. Imagine them.

Also hit me up I need in on these games.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197968866279

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this

F201 posted:

I do remember if you named yourself "%n" and you got killed it would crash the server, but that was a long time ago.

There was that, along with using && as your name, anyone who tabbed to see your score in Counter Strike Source would crash, I think it was there for ~~ as well, don't really remember much else

Electric Crayon
Jul 20, 2004

Oh, it's you!
Hell yeah flaring servers until they crash :regd08:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Isko posted:

That reminded me of this one time when I was playing as an Alien online in AvP2. On one map I was able to climb off the side and land just below the ground so I couldn't be found and from there I could attack people from below. They had to get to an objective or something so I basically killed everyone but one guy and then tailwhipped the last. For people who haven't played AvP2, tailwhipping doesn't do much damage but stuns the player. He was basically stuck there untill he eventually died or suicided with a grenade.

Man, how come there hasn't been a AvP3 made yet :(.
That reminds me of two of my more hilarious griefing moments in AvP2:

- I joined a server against some lone Predalien as a Predator. I hadn't played the game in over a year so I was a little rusty, but this guy would just pounce from across the map and charge at me swinging. He killed me a few times and every time he did he would type "noob" into the chat. This didn't stop when I told him I'd had the game since launch, so I switched to an Assault Predator and started abusing the plasma gun. For anyone who didn't play the game, the plasma gun could either shoot lethal energy blasts or lob three "stun" blasts that would freeze players and discharge their weapon energy. Every time he pounced in I would stun and then shoot him, and his respawn timer was just long enough to fully recharge my energy and do it again. Every time he died he'd whine "no plasma noob", and pointing out which one of us was a noob for not being able to deal with my simple tactic was completely lost on him.

- My friend liked to play Marine with his settings way down to see through Predator cloaks, but he was even worse when we'd team up over Teamspeak and use his motion tracker to tell me where the aliens were coming from, where to lay traps, etc. against a team of aliens.

MiF
Nov 29, 2004

heh, can't handle the flareage lil nub? looks like you have been griefed

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

100%BEEF posted:

Actually I agree with you. Griefing has always been, to me, a way to use superior knowledge and being much more clever than your target. You have to really gently caress them over and screw them out of a ton of work, which is why its so much better to grief in MMORPGs rather than FPS.

These flare guns aren't that creative, they don't take that much skill to use, and its not that big of a deal. If someone did it to me I'd just log off or go to a different server.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Daltos posted:

Actually I agree with you. Griefing has always been, to me, a way to use superior knowledge and being much more clever than your target. You have to really gently caress them over and screw them out of a ton of work, which is why its so much better to grief in MMORPGs rather than FPS.

These flare guns aren't that creative, they don't take that much skill to use, and its not that big of a deal. If someone did it to me I'd just log off or go to a different server.

I agree. The flare gun thing reeks of "me too" syndrome, but I think griefing in FPS games is much better than MMORPGs, probably since I dont play too many of them, but I like the creativeness of some of them.

effloresce
May 19, 2008
Griefing's not about the act itself, it's about the reaction. It doesn't matter how clever or elaborate your grief is, if you don't get hilarious rage tears out of the pubbies, it's all for naught. Likewise, come up with something simple like placing a sentry next to a fuckton of flares in a support beam on 2Fort and get the rage going, it can be just as satisfying.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

edit: nm

rockopete fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 6, 2008

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005

Daltos posted:

That's the thing. As somebody posted previously, the pubbies DON'T log off. Instead they just complain incessantly.

transient
Apr 7, 2005

effloresce posted:

Griefing's not about the act itself, it's about the reaction. It doesn't matter how clever or elaborate your grief is, if you don't get hilarious rage tears out of the pubbies, it's all for naught. Likewise, come up with something simple like placing a sentry next to a fuckton of flares in a support beam on 2Fort and get the rage going, it can be just as satisfying.

I can just run around tk'ing people and get the same reaction. Doesn't mean it's worth posting about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
someone doesn't understand how griefing works.

The ends always justifies the means.

• Locked thread