Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Yeah enough with the stupid TF2 glitch and let's start talking about ruining people's lives in UO and having virtual sex with Reggie some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pharmacist
May 20, 2008

Despoiler posted:

well its time for me to be a griefer

*spends two hours shooting flares at spawn*
*some guy complains about lag*
*a few people leave*
*admin finally reboots server and negates all your work*

heh, 2 hours of my life well spent

like you're not wasting your time playing loving video games in the first place

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
With the somewhat recent release of the Pyro update to TF2, my friends and I thought it would be a good idea to use the achievement farming servers for our engineer achievement, done ten times over.

If only I recorded a demo file of some of them; the responses ranged from hilarious to just sad.

(Sorry if something similar to this has already been posted.)

Furril
Apr 26, 2003

by Ozmaugh
The benefit of flaring is that many peopel can partake. The downside to running a script or exploit is that you run the risk of a ban or other action. In an MMORPG this can be a very dangerous thing.

Also, to you greifing "purists" notice we've heard alot about UO and SL and not WOW or EVE? The WoW and EVE posts have been mostly about taking advantage of dumb players and not manipulating the errors int he game. (save the one about the exploding frighters)

This is because games like UO and SL are more griefer friendly, with more user controled content or buggy aspects that clever people can take advantage of to pester and annoy others. Games like WoW and TF2 have much, much better coding and less abusable bugs. Not to mention the high player base ensures that any bug found is fixed quickly when players start broadcasting its existence. In UO the game wasn't as diligently patched and different shards had different levles on GM Involvement. In EVE the GM's are worried about player backlash and toe a line between what should be allowed to happen in the universe and what should be actioned upon.

The TF2 Flare Bug is harder to work with, doesn't always work, but look at what we have to work with. It gets the job done, many people can take part, and we get to piss off pubbies and admins with something they've never seen before.

Rant over, feel free to continue making GBS threads all over the fun we're having. I'll get right back to hex editing your favorite game once I get done having a good time with flares. That 2Fort spawn isnt going to flare itself.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium
One of the easiest ways to grief someone in the early days of UO was to light a camp fire around them.
See, in UO, you could only instantly logout in 3 places: an inn in a town, a house you were friended to, or by a campfire when using a bed roll. This being UO, it was decided that lighting a campfire must be a separate skill, cleverly named "camping". You gained in camping skill by double-clicking kindling over and over again until it lit.

UO used to have this feature it called training: if you watched someone perform a skill, you had a change at gaining in that skill yourself. There was no special trigger to start training; you were always ready to train.

UO also had a total skill cap of 700 and any one skill could only be a max of 100, so the "perfect" character was the infamous 7x GM. The thing is, there used to be no way to "lock" your skills once you got them to a certain point. So if you were a 7x GM with 0 skill in hiding and you accidently used the hiding skill? Well, your hiding goes up by a certain amount, decreasing a random GM skill by that same amount to stay at the 700 skill cap.

So put those all together and you get a bunch of newbie chars running around lighting fires at banks and GM-led quests and such that would gently caress up a bunch of people's hard-earned characters by making them learn camping and reducing one of their maxed skills.

"Your skill in Camping has increased by 0.5%. It is now 1.5%"
"Your skill in Magery has decreased by 0.5%. It is now 98.5%"

Despoiler
Apr 9, 2002
I liked the part where Kuriyama did his big speech.

Mr. Pharmacist posted:

like you're not wasting your time playing loving video games in the first place
so, anyone who plays video games = some loser who spends 2 hours in respawn to lag a server?

you're a loser

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

F201 posted:

I do remember if you named yourself "%n" and you got killed it would crash the server, but that was a long time ago.

The %n bug got a goon permabanned for crashing servers so congratulations you dumb faggots.

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...

Mozzie posted:

someone doesn't understand how griefing works.

The ends always justifies the means.

I think people are just tired of hearing about a bunch of retards firing flares to lag a server until they get kicked then coming back here to jerk eachother off.

It was cool for the first couple posts, but unless you somehow find a way to hold a server ransom it gets really lame to hear about.

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Hrm... what's this? http://forums.voogru.com/banned-complaints/11433-banned-7-5-not-sure-what-rule-i-broke.html

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Furril posted:

Rant over, feel free to continue making GBS threads all over the fun we're having. I'll get right back to hex editing your favorite game once I get done having a good time with flares. That 2Fort spawn isnt going to flare itself.
Griefing where people lose items or something in game is funny. Griefing where everyone just switches servers and continues is not funny.

I mean continue having fun and all, it's just that it pales in comparison to the awesome stuff that was posted and now we have, as someone else pointed out, a whoel bunch of screenshots and "stories" that are all the same. "I shot my gun a bunch of people signed off".

Great. Now let's let the creative people explain some of the interesting things they've done.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
I played the MMOFPS Planetside a lot during the year-long free trial and in its heyday it was a pretty epic game in terms of scale and greifing.

As with some MMO's when a member dies (or has rumoured to have died) sometimes people will hold a "funeral" in-game, which basically means a lot of people in a small space, in Planetside this occurred... and was rightly bombed to hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x_WLbjNDcg&feature=related

I just like the way the whole scene reminds me of that infamous scene in apocalypse now, all it needed was "ride of the Valkyries" to make it perfect. God I loved playing planetside when servers had good numbers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow, that voogru guy is a dick.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Griefing where people lose items or something in game is funny. Griefing where everyone just switches servers and continues is not funny.

I mean continue having fun and all, it's just that it pales in comparison to the awesome stuff that was posted and now we have, as someone else pointed out, a whoel bunch of screenshots and "stories" that are all the same. "I shot my gun a bunch of people signed off".

Great. Now let's let the creative people explain some of the interesting things they've done.

That's the same thing for team killing, or any FPS or game thats not an MMO. You can always just go to another server because of anything. But people don't. And that is the funny.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Okay but maybe what you're failing to understand is that they don't just switch servers. They sit there are whine and whine and whine, and it is absolutely hilarious. Sorry some of us are easily amused by something simple and don't feel like spending three months ruining someone's e-life before we get our jollies. (But I guess that just makes me an uninteresting uncreative person)

Although I do agree, more stories about ruining e-lifes. Specifically, more EvE stories if you've got any!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Revener posted:

Okay but maybe what you're failing to understand is that they don't just switch servers. They sit there are whine and whine and whine, and it is absolutely hilarious. Sorry some of us are easily amused by something simple and don't feel like spending three months ruining someone's e-life before we get our jollies. (But I guess that just makes me an uninteresting uncreative person)
I suppose the issue isn't necessarily that it isn't fun for you, it's just that it stops being amusing to read about after the second story or so.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Did you not see the part where a bunch of people from SA started crashing his server

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...

Revener posted:

No one cares if you do it, just stop posting about it.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

RBA Starblade posted:

I'd say he's pretty goddamn justified, really. Grief all you want but don't start complaining and acting just like the people you're targeting when you get a response from someone with power. That's the way it works, and the best griefers know when to pull out and avoid getting banned for their efforts so they can return again. King of No Pants should've known better than do it on a server he frequented under his normal name where people would recognize him.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
I think we could come up with something a little more original than flare gun spam.

But personally I think it's hilarious. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Did you not see the part where a bunch of people from SA started crashing his server

No, I saw that. I was referring to how he's a dick to the guy who only wanted to try it out then stopped after a couple minutes.

EDIT: Oh wait I missed the part where it says No Pants is a goon.

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post

Jetsetlemming posted:

I'd say he's pretty goddamn justified, really. Grief all you want but don't start complaining and acting just like the people you're targeting when you get a response from someone with power. That's the way it works, and the best griefers know when to pull out and avoid getting banned for their efforts so they can return again. King of No Pants should've known better than do it on a server he frequented under his normal name where people would recognize him.

Yep, I'm new to this whole "Don't be a dumbass on the internet" deal.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

RBA Starblade posted:

No, I saw that. I was referring to how he's a dick to the guy who only wanted to try it out then stopped after a couple minutes.

EDIT: Oh wait I missed the part where it says No Pants is a goon.
As has already been documented in this thread, a single minute of it is enough to bring an 8800 to its knees when they're all onscreen.

king of no pants posted:

So are you really gonna shell out $50 bribe to get unbanned? :v: Because that would count as reverse griefing on that admin's part. Also an :owned:

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!

LE0N posted:

I played the MMOFPS Planetside a lot during the year-long free trial and in its heyday it was a pretty epic game in terms of scale and greifing.

As with some MMO's when a member dies (or has rumoured to have died) sometimes people will hold a "funeral" in-game, which basically means a lot of people in a small space, in Planetside this occurred... and was rightly bombed to hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x_WLbjNDcg&feature=related

I just like the way the whole scene reminds me of that infamous scene in apocalypse now, all it needed was "ride of the Valkyries" to make it perfect. God I loved playing planetside when servers had good numbers.

I was in this guild, though not present for said funeral bombing. Also had many a "wet galaxy" trips. Which is to say, take the Galaxy flying transport, fly people over the ocean somewhere and then instalock it, dropping everyone out far out over the ocean.

Except instead of one galaxy it was usually 2-4 galaxies at the same time would do it. :toot:

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post

Jetsetlemming posted:

As has already been documented in this thread, a single minute of it is enough to bring an 8800 to its knees when they're all onscreen.

So are you really gonna shell out $50 bribe to get unbanned? :v: Because that would count as reverse griefing on that admin's part. Also an :owned:

I don't know. $50 is a lot to be unbanned, sounds like a steep requirement. But on the flipside I'm working 70 hour a week overtime for some serious pay over the summer and at the end of it all $50 will be pocket change, yet still large enough to remind me not to be a loving idiot. :downs:

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Revener posted:

Although I do agree, more stories about ruining e-lifes. Specifically, more EvE stories if you've got any!
Eh, I think it pales in comparison still, even if people do whine a bunch.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ray_ posted:

"Your skill in Camping has increased by 0.5%. It is now 1.5%"
"Your skill in Magery has decreased by 0.5%. It is now 98.5%"

I thought they fixed that once it got out of beta testing.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

king of no pants posted:

Seriously, just play on another server.

Also, its a lesson to all the people thinking about Second Life griefing. I remember the topics and the first thing they ever said in the OP was to not be a dick, since that will get you banned pretty fast.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Furril posted:

This is because games like UO and SL are more griefer friendly, with more user controled content or buggy aspects that clever people can take advantage of to pester and annoy others. Games like WoW and TF2 have much, much better coding and less abusable bugs.
Less abusable bugs.

Hey, that reminds me of the time we were waiting for AV queues and chain-mind controlled a hordling in near Tarren Mill.

And while the implementation of diminishing returns finally put an end to THAT, there's still a number of exploits still existing in WoW.

IMO, the reason UO and SL was/are more griefer friendly is because of the greater number of people not interested in PvP or being griefed. In Ultima Online's case, you could make the perfect successor to it today and it still won't be the griefy Eden you hope it to be, because most of the sheep playing the game back then wouldn't be playing under those sort of rules today.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Daltos posted:

I thought they fixed that once it got out of beta testing.
No, learn by watching went on until about June 1998 if I remember right.
It was definately in place during Christmas 97 when I finally got back from Basic Training and had a chance to play.
It's still the game I most anticipated.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
So what are some free MMOs with some easy griefing? Is UO or Second Life free?

And this:

You can't really tell, but there's a buggy behind the harvester, the harvester can't move backwards and can't complete the action of emptying, it was stuck there for at least 10 minutes, then I was banned.

Serious Michael fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 6, 2008

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

rss feeder posted:

So what are some free MMOs with some easy griefing? Is UO or Second Life free?

UO is free if you play on a player run server and not the official ones. Second Life is also free.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I remember team-killing in rainbow six was so rampant that you could expect to lose half your team in the first few seconds of a round, oftentimes because someone moved or looked in the wrong direction and freaked someone else out, who would then be cut down by someone who saw him tking and so on. So, after a few rounds had gone by, the regular tkers had been booted and people calmed down a bit, I'd start the round by firing a few shots into the ceiling, which usually started an orgy of violence. Not really that clever or cool but in 7th grade making people kill each other was endlessly amusing.

MightyZaar
Jan 28, 2004
Now with 33% more rage and vengeance!
WoW had a lot of fun griefing opportunities in its early days. Of course, they've systematically patched out any fun they could get their hands on since then until everything was a long, awful grind. PvP used to be just for fun until they turned it into a number grind that they reset every couple months and engineering used to have lots of fun gadgets.

I would piss off my guild in Molten Core by using rocket boots that give you a short run speed boost and the slowfall ability to levitate myself to in accessable islands in the middle of the lava river. Then I'd pull out practice dummies and any other trinkets I had on hand to reenact Gilligan's Island episodes and entice others that were capable to join me and be various characters from the show. Eventually the raid leaders would notice and we'd have to stop to summon us all back over despite my protesting ("THREE HOUR TOUR, DAMNIT!")

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

Have you had your Reich today?

king of no pants posted:

I don't know. $50 is a lot to be unbanned, sounds like a steep requirement. But on the flipside I'm working 70 hour a week overtime for some serious pay over the summer and at the end of it all $50 will be pocket change, yet still large enough to remind me not to be a loving idiot. :downs:

So do you get like a complimentary handjob every time you log into that server because I'm having a tough time justifying $50 to play on a server with an admin like that guy

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Major Burns posted:

I can't find the original post but the story goes that some guy found a way to lure a slime into his house in ultima online and trap it behind a stool.He then exploited a glitch to duplicate the slime hundreds of times over the course of a few weeks.Because the slime was trapped behind a stool,all the slimes were duplicated in the same square.The player then went to the main town with a list of items and threatened to unleash the slimes if he didn't receive the items on the list.
The other characters all laughed at him,so the player removed the stool blocking the slimes and let them run rampant int the town.The slimes slaughtered everyone in the town,causing chaos and confusion everywhere.
A month or so later the player tried the same thing again,he went to town with a list of rare and expensive items.This time he was given everything on the list because of what happened last time.
The player unleashed the slimes anyway :)

Sounds like a poo poo story to me. One word "Guards" should undo all that work, even pre superguard days.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

king of no pants posted:

Is that server really that great that you'll pay $50 to play on it? I can't imagine any server being that great.

Also, is that admin a goon, or is this forum public now? I lost track, I know a year or two ago the games forum flipped from public to private and back a few times, and I'm not sure which state it ended up being. If it's public, as I assume it is, this thread really should be in one of the subforums (or at least you flare guys should make a thread for you in a subforum).

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 7, 2008

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Funso Banjo posted:

Is that server really that great that you'll pay $50 to play on it? I can't imagine any server being that great.

Also, is that admin a goon, or is this forum public now? I lost track, I know a year or two ago the games forum flipped from public to private and back a few times, and I'm not sure which state it ended up being. If it's public, as I assume it is, this thread really should be in one of the subforums (or at least you flare guys should make a thread for you in a subforum).

The forum is public, yes

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium

Funso Banjo posted:

I would probably pay $50 to play on the LCs, but that's like 4 servers and only because I've played there since TF2 release and I've got like 150 steam friends from there.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Funso Banjo posted:

It's definitely been public since Christmas last year. I should know, I lurked the gently caress out of it before I dropped the :10bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazamoot
Apr 2, 2005
No Pants, if you spend $50 to regain access to a server you were caught griefing on, please spend another $10 on an offensive custom title commemorating this humiliating affair for yourself.

• Locked thread