Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Daltos posted:

I thought they fixed that once it got out of beta testing.

You forget that "Beta testing" lasts for about two years after launch on a good MMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde

rss feeder posted:

So what are some free MMOs with some easy griefing? Is UO or Second Life free?

Second Life is quite possibly the easiest game to grief. I discovered wearing a silly costume and standing near people is enough to set them off. Especially so if you act completely oblivious and never speak.

Role Playing sims are the best for this. The owners of which are usually hyper-controlling egomaniacs. In their minds, by simply occupying space in their sim and looking silly, you are committing a grievous transgression against them and all they hold dear. Which often results in an immediate ban from the place or at least a conversation with an angry owner. Having your cuddly creature able to pee on command helps, too.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

GetWellGamers posted:

You forget that "Beta testing" lasts for about two years after launch on a good MMO.

In Planetside you could get a vehicle that would give you a little hand held teleporter, you could place it on the ground and it would make you warp to where the vehicle was. I used to deploy the device on friendly spawns and deploy the vehicle over an unclimbable incline and spawn warp people to a place they couldn't get out of of. Best part was that PS didn't have a suicide option, and you wouldn't spawn with any weapons you could blow ourself up with.

Good times.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Plutarchwolf posted:

Sounds like a poo poo story to me. One word "Guards" should undo all that work, even pre superguard days.

Pre superguard and pre slime nerf the guards wouldn't kill the slimes in one hit, which would make them split. Which was part of how he held a city ransom until the server crashed.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LE0N posted:

I played the MMOFPS Planetside a lot during the year-long free trial and in its heyday it was a pretty epic game in terms of scale and greifing.

As with some MMO's when a member dies (or has rumoured to have died) sometimes people will hold a "funeral" in-game, which basically means a lot of people in a small space, in Planetside this occurred... and was rightly bombed to hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x_WLbjNDcg&feature=related

I just like the way the whole scene reminds me of that infamous scene in apocalypse now, all it needed was "ride of the Valkyries" to make it perfect. God I loved playing planetside when servers had good numbers.

I was there for that, in one of the Liberators.

Does any one have the recording of when of The Enclave called his house and talked to his parents about the kid dying, and made a YTMND about it. it said "WHY CAN'T RESPAWN????" and played recording of the phone call with his parents.

cat scratch appeaser
Jul 3, 2008

by The Finn
TF2 mikespamming :c00l:

Also the booby traps in BF:V were proof that there are griefers in the developers.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Crackerjack posted:

Second Life is quite possibly the easiest game to grief. I discovered wearing a silly costume and standing near people is enough to set them off. Especially so if you act completely oblivious and never speak.

You need to get your hands on some follow drones. While they can be understandably more actively annoying than simply standing near someone, the reactions you can get from having a non-physical object that doesn't do anything other than follow them and maybe look silly are great.

If you want to be more obnoxious about it though, there's a very common one - a literal banana phone which follows them while indefinitley playing the banana phone song on loop.

One of the more evil ideas I had involving them though, was a completley invisible and non-physical one. I'd sneak up on people cybering or doing whatever the gently caress stupid things in the chat, then quietly plonk down the invisible follow drone which would begin hovering near them hopefully undetected. Obviously the amorous couple would be trying to keep their carnal gymnastics on the quiet, but the drone listens for anyone speaking on the chat channel, and then shouts out whatever it hears in a huge radius. It usually spooks the poo poo out of them also as a bonus.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

LLCoolJD posted:

Mmm, delicious!
This should be a shirt.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Steezo posted:

Pre superguard and pre slime nerf the guards wouldn't kill the slimes in one hit, which would make them split. Which was part of how he held a city ransom until the server crashed.
Not to mention that he'd made enormous amounts of slimes. I think the servers was already getting a little unstable from the sheer numbers of them.

Magman
Jul 23, 2004
Toppling the mighty and denting the hard.
Requesting Team Flare invite:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/djclaywmts

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

cat scratch appeaser posted:

TF2 mikespamming :c00l:

Also the booby traps in BF:V were proof that there are griefers in the developers.

I must confess I have actually fallen for the F10 trick.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
After a few of the Team Flare people got bored of flare spamming, they decided to move on to farming some achievements.

Unfortunately, they didn't quite understand the concept.

(The pubbies stuck around until we all got bored and left despite us spawnkilling everyone for at least 10 minutes.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

rockopete posted:

Me too :(

andriko
May 31, 2004

caesarvm nostrorvm
Team flare looks like fun. Invite please:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/andriko

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

cat scratch appeaser posted:

This is the only reason to play as the Viet Cong ever in that game.

MC Sucka Hater
Jan 28, 2008

It's Time To Succeed.
There's a better way of joining Team Flare I found.

MC Sucka Hater fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 7, 2008

Plague Dynasty
Aug 20, 2006

find revelations in life
find satisfaction in death
Disregard

Plague Dynasty fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 7, 2008

Slow and Serious
Mar 20, 2007

It runs ok.
When I used to play Gmod frequently, I would spray Meatspin somewhere and put an RT camera in front of it. Then I would take one of the large floodgate props or a billboard and put an RT camera material on it. Proceed to duplicate the prop and spam to your heart's content.

Nigger Goku
Dec 11, 2004

あっちに行け
This is my new favourite thing to do in TF2.

Kcow
Jul 4, 2008

mean2u posted:

When I used to play Gmod frequently, I would spray Meatspin somewhere and put an RT camera in front of it. Then I would take one of the large floodgate props or a billboard and put an RT camera material on it. Proceed to duplicate the prop and spam to your heart's content.

I want that spray just for that idea, though I am lost on how to explain to my brother when he plays on my computer and hits the spray button too see a man taking it up the butt

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!
I've never gotten in on the really great examples of griefing, but I did have fun with a thing or two in Guild Wars. The first I stumbled over was a skill called Unyielding Aura. In short, it resurrects a party member and keeps them alive until the skill is either disenchanted or the caster stops maintaining it. Like a magic iron lung or something.

Quite some time ago, the Sorrow's Furnace area was released. I think this was the first time green items were available. Some of these were very popular because of the combination of mods they always dropped with. Loot in GW is assigned to a random player when it drops, but will go FFA after a while. You can probably see where this is going already.

Allow individual party members to die "accidentally." Sorry, my finger slipped! Ooh, that's some bad lag! Wait! I'm out of energy! Before any of the more benevolent party members can act, resurrect the poor bastard with Unyielding Aura. When a green item drops for anyone you're keeping alive, stop maintaining the spell to make them drop dead on the spot. No one else would lift a finger for him because they were already huddled around his shiny new item.

I guess I'm not a very good griefer because I usually ended up resurrecting whoever it happened to be so he could get his item, but not before letting him beg a little. Either that or a pleasant round of "what animal am I thinking about?" This still works well if you manage to slip into a dungeon party. Such a shame to go all that way and not be able to open the big shiny chest at the end! It's still surprising to see just how many people don't bring a resurrection skill.

The lesser stuff usually involves more boring things like bringing a 100% kiting build in Random Arena. I always found it difficult to cause any real trouble in PvP because of the relative weakness of individual players.

99 w00tballons
May 1, 2008

Sentient Toaster posted:

The lesser stuff usually involves more boring things like bringing a 100% kiting build in Random Arena. I always found it difficult to cause any real trouble in PvP because of the relative weakness of individual players.

55 monk builds in RAs are the best, because no one brings enchant removal.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Kcow posted:

I want that spray just for that idea, though I am lost on how to explain to my brother when he plays on my computer and hits the spray button too see a man taking it up the butt

Tell him it's a virus. Maybe he'll buy it. Which will give you more time to "try and fix it" and show everyone a giant anus.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

davejk posted:

After a few of the Team Flare people got bored of flare spamming, they decided to move on to farming some achievements.

Unfortunately, they didn't quite understand the concept.

(The pubbies stuck around until we all got bored and left despite us spawnkilling everyone for at least 10 minutes.)

I'm just working on the engi achievements before they unlock them, is all...

Slow and Serious
Mar 20, 2007

It runs ok.

Kcow posted:

If you really want it, here you go, enjoy.

Quizzle
Oct 26, 2007

Love feels like a great misfortune, a monstrous parasite, a permanent state of emergency that ruins all small pleasures.

rockopete posted:

In EQ I would occasionally shout
"Woah, type in /ex to see how much exp you need to level!"

/ex was a shortcut for /exit.

I would do it because I fell for it once.

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

I'm having a problem with the flare thing. Everytime I back away from the cupboard, my flares disappear and I have to start over. I've only gotten about two clips into the shelf before they disappear. Is there some technique to disallowing them to go away or something?

Ah, sorry for the bother, go on with your business :)
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVvv

wigglin fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 7, 2008

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

Heliogabalus posted:

I'm having a problem with the flare thing. Everytime I back away from the cupboard, my flares disappear and I have to start over. I've only gotten about two clips into the shelf before they disappear. Is there some technique to disallowing them to go away or something?

most servers have fixes now.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.
requesting an invite to Team Flare. http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/mugmoor/

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
The first grief I ever did was way back on ye olde counterstrike beta, it was on some map which had an APC for CT. The APC was a one man vehicle with a big opening in the back that players could crouch-jump into and ride. One day I got the brilliant idea of backing the opened passenger part into a wall. I did this at the beginning of the round and trapped half my team in the rear of the vehicle.

DOTA has some legendary griefers, and griefing is very unexpected considering you are basically shooting yourself in the foot when you grief your own team. One day I was playing dota DH which is a mode where all heros get randomized skills. People usually share control of heros at the beginning of the round to show their teammates what skills they got, I did this and while checking other people out someone dropped all my items and attacked them, destroying all my items and loving me over for the rest of the game. The best part was I couldn't even know who did it until I watched the replay to see who had control of my hero.

Similarly, I was playing a normal game of DOTA and had a little emergency so I left with shared control on. Less than 5 minutes later I come back to find my hero had all his items stolen and was attacking a friendly barrack, just as all the players informed me I was banned for TKing my own 'racks.

The best I've seen was a guy that played the first half of the game totally normally, then walked right past two enemy towers to the front of the enemy base and dropped all his items before dying. After that he spammed all of his pause game timeouts, saved the game (lags everyone), all while simultaneously spamming chat with blank lines, then proceeding to start and stop his 45 second timeout over 3 minutes before finally dropping. He was like a virus in the form of a player. :aaa:

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Sanctum posted:

The first grief I ever did was way back on ye olde counterstrike beta, it was on some map which had an APC for CT. The APC was a one man vehicle with a big opening in the back that players could crouch-jump into and ride. One day I got the brilliant idea of backing the opened passenger part into a wall. I did this at the beginning of the round and trapped half my team in the rear of the vehicle.

I would do this constantly to the people I played with on a LAN to the point where that map was no longer in the rotation.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Towards the end of my WoW playing I enjoyed suicide bombings. I would take my 70 warlock, ride into the middle of a lowbie PVP area, and cast Hellfire over and over again. Hellfire is a nifty spell that sprays a ring of fire hurting anything around you, and yourself too. One or two seconds and I would be surrounded by dead Alliance before I lost all my HP or guards killed me. Then I'd walk away for a while, ressurect at my body, and immedietly cast Hellfire again before people knew what happened. With my gear unequipped the only penalty I took was a greater delay between resurrections, up to 10 minutes.

In shared areas, where Horde and Alliance have to coexist or guards kill you, it was fun to get right to the border of the town and shoot at Alliance as they left. Once they hit me with something I could then go back into town and their damage would trigger the guards, who would kill them.

I don't play WoW anymore.

Edit: Remembered another fun thing. Challenging people to PVP on zepplens and spamming Fear. Often they would just miss the zepplen and have to wait for the next one, but if you were lucky they would get stuck to the bottom of the ship and fall off right before you changed zones, giving them falling damage and a nice walk.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 7, 2008

Kcow
Jul 4, 2008

mean2u posted:

If you really want it, here you go, enjoy.

Thanks anyways and to the other response, he is actually mildly computer literate as far as that goes. However what really shows his true colors is when he opened a picture that ended with instead of .jpg but .exe...

Crash Bandicoot
Feb 23, 2007

by T. Fine
gently caress that Lord Britain fag I spent 2 hours crashing a TF2 server let's talk about that woo :hurr:

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Anyone have the MTV MMO Real life in the hills or whatever pictures? I can't seem to find that thread for the life of me.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
May be more of a cheap tactic than greifing.

Homeworld had slight side effect on it's game mechanics by way of the humble collector.

There were two little known facts.

1. They could hyperspace.

2. They were still classed as a corvette, allowing them to suicide run.

This paved way for enough of them to get built in order to mount a suicide run against the mothership.

A more costly method was to hyperspace them into the mothership, far easier if you opponent was Taiidan. This tactic is pretty much unstoppable.

Also dumb firing the siege cannon in Catacalysm was another fun trick.
Many pubbies often started the game with research on full, so you simply angle up the cannon and take them out within the first five minutes of the game.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

Crackerjack posted:

I can't stop laughing at this picture.

On the subject of second life, does anyone have the video of a flapping penis avatar running around?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Crash Bandicoot posted:

gently caress that Lord Britain fag I spent 2 hours crashing a TF2 server let's talk about that woo :hurr:

Do you have any pictures of a lot of flares, possibly with someone saying 'wtf lag' in the text chat? That would significantly increase my enjoyment of this story.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Jetsetlemming posted:

By monday at the latest, most assuredly.
I have an ulterior motive for not joining in on the flare spamming, though- my computer's just over TF2's minimum requirements, I wouldn't last thirty seconds before my rig exploded.

Yeah, my connection is horrible, so I pinged out of most standard maps long before it got unplayable. However, there is something beautiful about ruining it fir everyone, especially in medic/pyro achievement maps. They never help you get medic achievements and suddeny they cry when you crash their server. :rolleyes:

Valve will certainly fix this soon, but it was good fun. I am definitely in if team flare turns into a griefing group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crown Royal
Jan 5, 2005

shoot her
I used to like interrupting arcade games of Marvel vs Capcom 2 right at the very end of Abyss and then beating the person.

• Locked thread