Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I used to play CS:S and only played on a 24/7 Office map. People got to know me there as a decent player who always liked talking while playing. I get bored of games pretty fast...

I am the same way. I've been playing counter strike for god knows how long. After a while you have to find new ways to entertain yourself. So, after a few mintues of playing, I start talking in my slobbering nerd voice and start talking about random poo poo like mtg or pokemon cards. Thank god for voice chat or I would have been done with CS long ago.

Edit: The last CS grief i've been a part of was with two other people with names like ">(:3)" randomly meowing. I wish I had fraps up and running at the time. Now I keep that poo poo loaded up and hotkeyed.

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 7, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
In classic BF1942 or DC, there was a command, PTK. If someone TKed you, and you entered that command, after three times they'd be kicked from the game, and sometimes banned from the server. I'd just run around kniving teammates, so they'd get mad and then kill me in retaliation, and once they did, I'd PTK them, and get them kicked out.

Also in Planetside, I was a Cr5, meaning that I could send global messages to the entire game world. Because I was a pretty vocal commander, I'd get lots of whispers from new players asking me for help. Whatever they would ask, I would always respond to press "Alt+f4". Then five minutes later I'd get a tell saying "My game crashed, sorry, how do I do X again?" of course I'd respond Alt+f4 again. Some people fell for it for four or five times. I probably tricked a hundred people like that.

The best part was that PS took FOREVER to load, and sometimes you'd get locked out of the fight if you quit.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.
In World of Warcraft, whenever our guild's server went down, we headed for the RP server for some fun. We made the standard black characters with stereotypical names (Tyrone, etc) and took off all of our clothes looking for some fun. We went to the tavern and lo and behold, two people were trying to cyber right then and there in one of the rooms. I motion for everyone in Vent to come into the room walking in one by one. Sure enough, we all gather up and use the walk key to walk in one by one and just stood there staring at them with her targeted. No words exchanged, just us staring at her, naked, with her targeted. She says some typical RP shenanigans, and runs off.

The only problem is, we have her raid marked. For those of you that don't play the game, basically you can (could?) set up these huge markers above people so you could see them through walls. She tries to hide, but nothing we can't find. We come one by one around the corner again. She heads to Stormwind, Duskwood, Redridge, Westfall, but it's nothing a simple /who and some splitting up to find her can't do. This goes on for a good two hours, while her GUILD continues to trickle in to help her out. Of course, we're on the same side so they can't do anything at all. Why on Earth she called her guild to help was beyond me. She was pleading for us to stop, and her guild even offered us some ridiculous sum of money to pay us off. We still continued. She finally logged off when her guild took her to Stranglethorn Vale, where she must have died at least 20 times just trying to make it through, as she was level 10.

This was probably one of the better experiences I've had in WoW.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

dsage posted:

Edit: Also, I would like to hear more mud stories. Post them if you have any.

There was an old (now defunct) mud named Calindria that used to have some pretty broken aspects.

One thing in particular was the pvp system. There was a level range within which you could attack people, but if you were in a clan the rules were different:

a) In your own clan hall you could attack a higher level player, at which point they could fight back, but they couldn't start the fight first.
b) In an enemy clan hall you can always be targetted regardless of level range.

However, for whatever reason if an action didn't do damage in scenario A, it wouldn't start combat.

The end result was making several level 82 characters (which was just out of range of the highest level character) and tricking enemies to enter the hall, at which point you spam them with sleep/debuffs/entanglements/thievery skills/etc. You could literally keep people stuck with sleep and entangle, steal everything in their inventory, and lock them there until someone capable of killing them logged on. You couldn't log out in another clan hall, so they were just stuck.

-----------------------------

When the mud first started it was possible to use charm on other players and take complete control over them. You could make them do any command a player could normally do; from stripping naked and forcing them to fight a tough enemy, to forcing them to premenately delete their character.

Charm was removed the from the game after about a week.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me

Ericcorp posted:

Also in Planetside, I was a Cr5, meaning that I could send global messages to the entire game world. Because I was a pretty vocal commander, I'd get lots of whispers from new players asking me for help. Whatever they would ask, I would always respond to press "Alt+f4". Then five minutes later I'd get a tell saying "My game crashed, sorry, how do I do X again?" of course I'd respond Alt+f4 again. Some people fell for it for four or five times. I probably tricked a hundred people like that.

The best part was that PS took FOREVER to load, and sometimes you'd get locked out of the fight if you quit.

I had no idea when I played PS years ago that Ericcorp was a goon. You were always one of the more vocal players in that game so I remember you.

My favorite thing by far in that game to do was get one of the big transport planes filled up with 10 or so people, fly it to the middle of the ocean and switch it to Outfit only. At which point all the players besides me are ejected from the plane dumping them in the ocean.

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH
Back when CS:S first came out you could move through physics objects if you crouch-walked while looking down. This freaked people out who didn't know the bug, and often in maps like Office with filing cabinets everywhere, me and a few of my friends would partake in crouch-walking through cover to knife a guy hiding from gunfire. Even better was in terrorist spawn, you could hide in the cabinets and wait for the CTs to come by then jump out and knife them. You'd be invisible if you were holding a small weapon, but rifles and similar-sized weapons would stick out of the cabinet.

I remember one particular game myself and my two friends were playing at a small LAN party at my house, with a particularly bad terrorist team in a 24/7 office map in some public server. We became bored supporting the whole team so we renamed ourselves to CABINET MONSTER or something similar and hid in the cabinets the entire round. For a few rounds in a row, the CT team couldn't figure out where we were hiding and we would either emerge occasionally to pick off people who wandered by the cabinets, or we would let the clock tick down. Finally when they figured out where we were hiding, they would relentlessly nade the cabinets every time they came by our hiding spot. Taking advantage of that, we hid in identical cabinets in another part of the office and continued our usual tactics until it got to the point where the CT team would shoot at any cabinets they saw. It was entertaining spectating a round, watching a CT come into the office, clear a room, and then start shooting at the cabinets.

Baby Cakes fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 7, 2008

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.
This isn't as clever as what you guys have been pulling off in some of these games but it was still fun. In Blockland (basically lego online) one of the guys from the goon server started a clan called "BOX" or the BOX CLAN. All you did in this clan was join random pub servers and build boxes. Just big cubes all over the place. This was especially easy to spam if the server had enabled the duplicator tool which lets you clone buildings.

That and just building huge cocks all over the place.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Ralconn posted:

Oh also some other guy (who I think may have been from the same place) told me he was going to hunt me down and kill me for putting the "love of his life" in a pokeball.

This was all incredible but this is the best part, goddamn

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Yes it was about 20 pages ago, but I'd like to say that this is cunting golden.

Kcow
Jul 4, 2008
I want that pokeball launcher thing. Where does one acquire this doomsday weapon?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Griz posted:

getting insane obsessive freaks like you banned from games for blatant rulebreaking is the best griefing. you're still whining about this poo poo two years later jesus loving christ

edit: I don't really remember what the situation was, but it didn't matter anyway because the main objective was getting rid of your crazy rear end, and this was a prime opportunity. shame it didn't work.

IIRC you got banned from the DRgoons IRC for being a gigantic douchebag about the whole thing and you whined about that for days too in PMs to the channel's founder. Or maybe you just left in a fit of righteous indignation, it's honestly too long ago for me to remember what exactly happened there.

Then here I am reading Games and I see you acting like an awesome badass in this thread, think to myself "hey isn't he that guy..." and welp, precious memories. Since the topic is sharing stories about griefing, here's the story:

Girl joins IRC channel for nerdy $$$ MUD called DragonRealms. Girl shows off revealing pictures of herself and talks about how awesome drugs are near-constantly. Established goons decide it would be funny to drive her crazy in said MUD in retaliation for being so annoying in IRC.

They start by sending familiars (little animals that you can talk through more or less anonymously) to her at random intervals of the day and saying "pigbreakfast" and other random nonsensical crap, which has the desired effect of driving her crazy wondering who it is and what it means and annoying the piss out of her while confusing those of us that aren't in on the joke at this point (including me). Of course people figure it's one of the IRC goons but no one has any idea who at that point.

Then she gets coldcocked (you get wounded + are rendered unconscious for a short period of time) by someone she can't identify a few times and at this point she's throwing hysterical fits in IRC, with Griz more or less calling whoever is behind it a stupid thoughtless jerk for picking on the poor girl and telling her she should file a report with the GameMasters (which is generally a recourse for people too chronically stupid to wipe their own asses without assistance) to find out who it is and get them locked out of the game for harassment. To her credit she never did that and I guess she eventually stopped playing but that probably would have happened anyway because DR's learning curve sucks and we retained almost none of the players we got to try the game anyway. Pigbreakfast became a weird catchphrase in the game and I still see it uttered by people now and then who probably have no idea where it came from.

In short yeah Griz boy you sure griefed us good. :downsbravo:

Oct 4, 2005

On CS if the buy time has been set pretty high or turned off all together use this script to fill the start up with smoke:

quote:

alias +smoke "buy smokegrenade; use weapon_smokegrenade; +attack"
alias -smoke "-attack"
bind "j" "+smoke"

Smoke is fairly cheap so just keep hammering the J key, half the time people cant find their way out of spawn and if your the last guy alive it can seriously lengthen the round times and people blindly try and find you.

For added fun, replace smoke with flash!

Also not a greif but if i have lotsa cash I buy everyone elites, or make a pile of glocks at spawn:

quote:

alias +dbomb "buy glock; wait; drop"
alias -dbomb "buy glock; wait; drop"
bind "j" "+dbomb"

quote:

alias +dbomb "buy elite; wait; drop"
alias -dbomb "buy elite; wait; drop"
bind "j" "+dbomb"

1965917 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 7, 2008

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

dsage posted:

Edit: Also, I would like to hear more mud stories. Post them if you have any.
I used to play on a loosely Forgotten Realms-based MUD named Duris: Land of Bloodlust. The MUD itself was excellent, with player group caps nearing 20 people or so for PvE content, two (sometimes three) sided racewar pvp, an ANSI overhead worldmap that displayed players and monsters in realtime, on-sea ship combat with inertia physics, unique artifact weapons requiring that they be fed on player blood, and my personal favorite, player thieving.

Since Duris was primarily a PVP-based game, the thief class was hilarious weak in grinding and pvp combat, useless in groups, and they only had a handful of skills which were notoriously unreliable, such as dirttoss, a 2-3 second blind, a hide/sneak which was totally useless against most moderately experienced spellcasters or well-equipped players, a backstab that did laughable damage.. And the ability to see into player inventories via a surreptitious ability (most players would see when you "look"ed at them, and it could be considered rude, and get you killed quite quickly,) and steal equipment which was currently being worn. :pervert:

At this time I was in college my freshman year, sailing through classes and sitting on a 24/7 highspeed connection back when most MUDders were still on modems.

So, since thieves were known to be useless, I rolled up a halfling thief, toggled my class to "Anonymous", and went out to the middle of nowhere and solod for a couple weeks. After I got past the level limits for stealing and pkilling, I worked up a nice fat experience buffer so i wouldn't get purged to level one, and went off exploring.

I'd hide at the inn, robbnig people's bank-mule characters empty, and renting out via Sneak skill, so noone would know who was there or where they'd gone. Entire guild banks, gone! I'd steal rings and earrings and belts and gloves off of sleeping party leaders (I claimed to be a newbie warrior, and tagged along with a lot of power-levelling grousp,) and then give it away to random newbies since I cuoldn't carry it. I'd use my Disguise skill to disguise myself as an NPC monster and rob people blind, I'd Disguise as other players, and purposefully fail robbing people then immediately hide, leaving my poor innocent mark to be killed and looted. As I was in college, I'd play for half an hour and rob people blind, raise the alarm and get a dozen people chasing me, then log out and go to calculus for 2 hours before returning again. To the observer or my victims it was totally random and unpredictable, but it was actually set around my school schedule, which noone but me knew.

My favorite theft was coming across a large "raid" group outside of their guildhall, while I was wandering around the map. For some reason, everyone was sitting outside of their guardian golems while they had some people running the planes (scouting high level areas for bossloot), but they'd negelected to renew their buffs, so I went undetected. Glancing aruond at some of the more famous players' inventories, I saw many artifacts and such, and one unresistable reward: ioun stones buzzing around the heads of a couple of the players!

I quickly stole the stones, rings, and earrings from as many peolpe as I could, until my worst fear happened: someone entered the room between my hiding and stealing, saw me standing in the room plain as day(I was KoS to most of the high level players on the MUD,) and the jig was up! I ate a bash and some nukes, escaped with a small amount of life, and ran back inside the city, where I planned to hide in one of the numerous empty and locked rooms in the poor quarter (noone went there for obvious reasons, and for equally obvious reasoning I'd memorized its layout.) But luck was not on my side, and the enraged group's main tank came charging after me, decked out in artifact weapons and armor and pissed off about his ioun stone!

He managed to track me down and closed me inside of a room with a door (you couldn't open doors whiel engaged in combat, on this MUD,) and I was panicking, but then I decided to fight back and use what I had at hand: a shitload of expensive (stolen) potions, and my thief skills. I chugged some heals and a stoneskin to survive the monstrous beatnig I was taking, and did the only thing I could think of:

trip <warrior>.

The trip command was a crummy version of bash available to thieves, it had a much longer delay from attacking to make it virtually unusable while soloing (you wouldn't begin swingin your weapon again until after the target regained their feet and swung back,) but it also had the happy ability of forcing the target to lie down instead of sitting, which forced them to temporarily disengage until they were back in rest/stand. So I did the only other thing I could, once I tripped the warrior up:

dirttoss <warrior>
steal ring <warrior>
trip <warrior>
dirttoss <warrior>
steal belt <warrior>
rinse, repeat! :laugh:

After a minute or two I figured that the warrior's guildmates would be getting close, so I opened the door while he was lying on the ground half-naked and half-dead (since he had no shield and half his armor gone, I was starting to win the fight pretty easily), exited, then snuck to the inn, logging out.

I received a few death threats over the course of the next week, and promises of being killed down to level one ("purged" it was called, since you'd lose 10% or so of a level for a pk death,) but since I'd already been accustomed to being chased, being scryed at random times, with a bounty and a shitload of loot on me at all times. I kept up my crime spree for another couple successful months, until I finally lost enough levels to be hovering above the level where I could no longer steal. Then, my true bane showed up: guild-sponsored thieves, power-levelled by their friends.. :dawkins101:

A few months later, thieves received major nerfs due to evil-race thieves learning to raid disguised as good-aligned races, sponsored thieves robbing artifacts and ioun stones from otehr players and passnig the loot to their guilds constantly, thieves sneaking into zones and robbing groups mid-raid, etc.. The class has still not recovered nearly ten years later, but I like to think that I was partially responsible for causing people to see how overpowered and abusively they could be played. :911:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 7, 2008

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
-Tribes: I have fond memories of my "roaming forest" gimmick. From the armor stations you could purchase a "Mechanical Tree" which would disguise you as a tree. You couldn't jump very high but you could move around. It was decent sniper cover, but for any other class it has no real function. So I would get as many people as I could to buy it and run around as a roaming forest. The best game was at a LAN party, where we joined both teams and all bought trees. We convinced a few more to our side, and we splintered off into a "Tree Faction" that killed anyone on either side that wasn't a tree.

-Day of Defeat: For years, every time I was just about to log off a server that includes team-killing, I would wait until the next batch of team reinforcements (usually after a large amount of people just got killed by the other team), and drop a grenade on the floor about 3 seconds before they respawned. Respawn, boom, logout immediately to beat getting kicked first. Some servers would do an auto-kickban if you TK too much, so my little mini-game was trying to beat this.

-I played EQ way back during the first couple expansions, and beggars were always fun to mess with. I would constantly run around with a Levitate spell on, then ask a beggar to /follow me to a place where I could give them something. Then I'd casually walk off a cliff. They'd fall to their deaths while I gently floated down.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Cowboy posted:

I had no idea when I played PS years ago that Ericcorp was a goon. You were always one of the more vocal players in that game so I remember you.

My favorite thing by far in that game to do was get one of the big transport planes filled up with 10 or so people, fly it to the middle of the ocean and switch it to Outfit only. At which point all the players besides me are ejected from the plane dumping them in the ocean.

I had a macro to global "HAY GUYZ WHERE THE MOVIES AT" that I would spam constantly to find other goons. You should have responded. Just a quick question, what was the general consensus about me from your outfit? Most outfits and over 5's hated me.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

Do you have any pictures of a lot of flares, possibly with someone saying 'wtf lag' in the text chat? That would significantly increase my enjoyment of this story.

I logged into a random achievement server yesterday to find, lo and behold, flares plastered all over the place in neat little rows. Not enough to crash the server but it had still slowed significantly. As there were no admins around, the remaining players were trying to add even more flares in an attempt to force a server reboot and clear out Team Flare's handiwork, but even after I described the trick to them they still couldn't do it right. Poor bastards.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
So this isn't really griefing, but it was incredible and totally shut down a server for about an hour.

Once while playing Counter-Strike, I noticed a player sporting the name "Crouching with Nade" on my team. As the match started, he pulled out a grenade, crouched, and... stayed that way, the entire match, slowly creeping across the map. Me and another Terrorist immediately changed our names to a variant of "Crouching with Nade" and followed suit. After the next round, we encountered two CTs who had changed to "Nade with Crouching" and "Crouching CT hidden Nade" and were creeping toward us.

Eventually all but 3 players on the 32-man server had changed their names to a Crouching variant and were creeping forward at a snails pace, simultaneously unleashing a hail of grenades on the center of the map. We did this over and over, with almost no communication taking place, which was exceedingly strange because it was a completely random pub server and CS players never agree on ANYTHING, even if it is humorous.

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this
Seeing as the flare bug got pretty old quick, a few of the ausgoons decided to hope onto some of the poo poo poor selection of australian servers we had, most of them were isp servers which usually have a high concentration of stupid whiners, but being the way it is we didn't want to get banned, so we decided instead to hit up one of the smaller gungame servers.

After realising that you can become unmutable quite easily in cs:s, we proceeded to spam music, which really isn't much better than the flare bug, still got decent results.

So long as an admin isn't on, votekicking isn't really an issue, as you don't appear on the list unless they know what they're looking for.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

ATM Machine posted:

Seeing as the flare bug got pretty old quick, a few of the ausgoons decided to hope onto some of the poo poo poor selection of australian servers we had, most of them were isp servers which usually have a high concentration of stupid whiners, but being the way it is we didn't want to get banned, so we decided instead to hit up one of the smaller gungame servers.

After realising that you can become unmutable quite easily in cs:s, we proceeded to spam music, which really isn't much better than the flare bug, still got decent results.

So long as an admin isn't on, votekicking isn't really an issue, as you don't appear on the list unless they know what they're looking for.

Yeah, this was pretty fun. I found a song that I never knew I had called 'I Want you to want me - Cheap Trick', so I decided to play that, again and again. As you can see, we achieved what we were aiming for.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

ATM Machine posted:

how do you do this?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Shatai posted:

Well, you could always set up a bustling Counter-Strike server for a rousing match of "test_hardware" or "test_speakers".

Dedicated servers don't have the test maps. Listen servers would, but those are usually passworded or empty.

Booga
Aug 20, 2007

Necc0 posted:

how do you do this?

HLSS

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
This thread needs more Battlefield Vietnam love.

Nothing quite like filling up a transport copter, fill it up with people, turn on Ride of the Valkyries and . . . immediately try to do a backflip and end up killing everyone aboard.

l3v3l4outbr3ak
Apr 15, 2006

Are you ready to die?
Back when I played a MUD (Realms of the Dragon or some such faggotry), a friend of mine and I played Shadowthieves in the game (think thieves with demonic powers).

To illustrate the severity of this grief, I'll clarify some game world rules: in this MUD, a player could, by default, only resurrect 7 times before permadeath, though the total could be raised to 25 through pricey spells controlled by the few priests in the game, admin handouts, etc.

In any case, my thief friend and I discovered in game these stones to be used by some other evil class for some spell of theirs, but regardless, you had to be evil to have or use them. If a player with an alignment anywhere above the most evil so much as picked one up, it would explode and deal a small amount damage to them. Couple this feature with the ability Shadowthieves had to "slip" items into people's inventory without them knowing, and to do so while hidden, and the potential is amazing. Mere hours after discovering this bug, my friend and I had banked all of our gear to provide ample weight allowance to hold the thousands of evil stone thingies each of us carried. Camped a major crossroads in the gameworld, armed with more stones than anyone could ever want (and an alias that would slip 500 or so stones at once onto a passing character) we proceeded to remain hidden and retire every paladin logged into the game at that point to permanent death. They just kept coming back to try and find us, and never did.

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
I agree that flaring to lag out a server is dull. However, I've been doing a spin on this: flaring and baiting admins to permaban other people. I think goons will agree that this takes a certain amount of diplomacy and duplicity and is better than flaring 10000 times to kill a server.

My server of choice for this has an enormous clan population. I went to their website and they probably have about 40 admins and hundreds of members. It's big enough that clan members won't know all the admins, let alone all the members. I adopt the name of one of the admins and go about my business. Taking the name instantly has its perks, as medics will go out of their way to heal me. But I have a greater motive.

I secretly flare about 6-7 times being very careful to make sure that nobody spots me. This server is full of a bunch of tattletale regulars so 6 flares will be enough to attract their attention and make them notify a mod or admin. The admin warns that the next person seen flaring will be permabanned and frequently goes into spectate mode to keep a watch on everybody. Twice I didn't have to do anything more and the admin banned two pyros shooting flares at snipers in 2fort (which is stupid but not taking advatange of a glitch in anyway). I got two other people permabanned by calling them out to an admin (myself disguised as one of the clan admins).

I checked their forum yesterday and there was a thread about the flaring glitch. One of the admins posted that he unfortunately had to permaban one of their own clan members because he was caught flaring. :lol: I won't give away the server because it'll ruin everything, but this kind of trick can probably be fairly easily replicated. We can even goon rush a server, have one person disguised as an admin, multiple people disguised as "regular witnesses" who will confirm that an unlucky pubbie pyro was flaring, and get him banned.

SnowWolf fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 7, 2008

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Auriga posted:

HLSS

Or HLDJ, which is somewhat easier to set up, as you don't have to pre-assign a bunch of hotkeys, you just control it from the console.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Detroit_Dogg posted:

This thread needs more Battlefield Vietnam love.

Nothing quite like filling up a transport copter, fill it up with people, turn on Ride of the Valkyries and . . . immediately try to do a backflip and end up killing everyone aboard.

Well, I have BFV installed if you want to engage in some more antics.

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this

Necc0 posted:

how do you do this?

I think you mean how I became unmutable, not spam music, all you have to do is put setinfo name "" into the console before you join a server, you'll join as unconnected and thus not on the player list menu. Works in dod:s as well

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

blackguy32 posted:

Well, I have BFV installed if you want to engage in some more antics.

I'd be down for it later today once I get some work done around the house.

Another favorite- Picking up ships in a helicopter and dropping them in secluded areas of the map that will take them a good 5 minute walk to get back to action (If they were smart they would just suicide).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Shatai posted:

I've made a little discovery. "changelevel mapname;quit" causes the server to shut down. With a little more work, we'll be noclipping and godmoding ourselves (though I'm pretty sure this trick is limited to one word commands).

I can't figure out how to do any other commands, unfortunately. You can't set CVARs through it, either.

You Listen Here, See
Feb 11, 2006

Money. Money. Money.
Anyone that is looking to take advantage of some old fashioned uo griefing i highly suggest joining up with the goons on Uogamers Hybrid, it is a free shard that has a population of roughly about 1000 players on at any given time.

Basically thru sheer domination and use of grief tactics we have the whole server hating us.

Here are some videos of our exploits http://youtube.com/user/SaMsEqKrew

or you can read up more at the official blog over at http://www.somethingawfuluo.com

or finally just hop over to our thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2810472.

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005

ATM Machine posted:

I think you mean how I became unmutable, not spam music, all you have to do is put setinfo name "" into the console before you join a server, you'll join as unconnected and thus not on the player list menu. Works in dod:s as well

Does something like this work in TF2?

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

SnowWolf posted:

I agree that flaring to lag out a server is dull. However, I've been doing a spin on this: flaring and baiting admins to permaban other people. I think goons will agree that this takes a certain amount of diplomacy and duplicity and is better than flaring 10000 times to kill a server.

My server of choice for this has an enormous clan population. I went to their website and they probably have about 40 admins and hundreds of members. It's big enough that clan members won't know all the admins, let alone all the members. I adopt the name of one of the admins and go about my business. Taking the name instantly has its perks, as medics will go out of their way to heal me. But I have a greater motive.

I secretly flare about 6-7 times being very careful to make sure that nobody spots me. This server is full of a bunch of tattletale regulars so 6 flares will be enough to attract their attention and make them notify a mod or admin. The admin warns that the next person seen flaring will be permabanned and frequently goes into spectate mode to keep a watch on everybody. Twice I didn't have to do anything more and the admin banned two pyros shooting flares at snipers in 2fort (which is stupid but not taking advatange of a glitch in anyway). I got two other people permabanned by calling them out to an admin (myself disguised as one of the clan admins).

I checked their forum yesterday and there was a thread about the flaring glitch. One of the admins posted that he unfortunately had to permaban one of their own clan members because he was caught flaring. :lol: I won't give away the server because it'll ruin everything, but this kind of trick can probably be fairly easily replicated. We can even goon rush a server, have one person disguised as an admin, multiple people disguised as "regular witnesses" who will confirm that an unlucky pubbie pyro was flaring, and get him banned.

Holy poo poo this is so incredibly evil

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

SnowWolf posted:

On the one hand, this is an extremely dick move, and you should feel bad for doing this (and not fessing up later). On the other hand, these guys are really loving retarded.

Hopefully they'll figure out what happened, reverse the bans, and learn a lesson in what information can be trusted (hint: nothing the user can control completely).

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

ATM Machine posted:

I believe you can't do this in TF2 because your name is tied to your steam account.

whateverfor posted:

On the one hand, this is an extremely dick move, and you should feel bad for doing this (and not fessing up later). On the other hand, these guys are really loving retarded.

Hopefully they'll figure out what happened, reverse the bans, and learn a lesson in what information can be trusted (hint: nothing the user can control completely).

:frogout:

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Mozzie posted:

I believe you can't do this in TF2 because your name is tied to your steam account.

You can change your name in-game with setinfo name <name>. It doesn't persist between servers, though.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Howard Beale posted:

Eventually we told him that we were from the future, and in the future he was a great and powerful ruler but this was a crucial juncture in his history and we had been sent to make sure he didn't choose poorly. Stuff like "If you ride that flier back to Silvermoon to train now, THE ENTIRE SPACE-TIME CONTINUUM WILL BE DISRUPTED!"

This is really excellent. This and the other bizarre-crap-out-of-nowhere stories are my favorite parts of this thread.

Plague Dynasty
Aug 20, 2006

find revelations in life
find satisfaction in death
Haha I was getting achievements and one of you guys comes in and plays this Spiderman and Batman loop that was so loving annoying.

I liked the Wall-E thing though

Golden Alzheimer
Jun 25, 2008

whateverfor posted:

Why are you telling him he should feel bad about something he posted in the griefing thread, of all places?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

coyo7e posted:

MUD thief goodness

This reminded me of back when I playeed a now defunct MUD called Feudal Realms. It was a fairly small one, although at times we'd have upwards of 80 people on at once. Thing is, it was a PvE MUD mostly, and you had to jump through a circle of hoops to get PvP, but it was easy enough.

I played an Orc Thief named Vrorag (TF2 Goons might recognize that name), for about a year when the all Orc/Ogre/Troll house opened back up. I leave the noble house I was in before and go join Splitrock. We were the "Evil" house of the game, since everyone else was Elves, Humans, Dwarves, Halflings and the like, so we'd go out and take out a person or two at whim because we were the only house in the game that could get away with it. Everyone else had to declare war.

This ended up getting most of the houses in the game ready to kill us, and we ended up in several wars in a short amount of time, but we'd grief them any time they came after us by fighting outside the gates of our keep. Anyone dumb enough to attack us there would get pummeled by our guards, and if they fled and weren't a Thief or Knight, they'd run in a random direction, which ended up with us getting a lot of free loot off of corpses that rotted in our keep.

However, one night 3 others and myself got together for a major raid on the main town of the game. A mage, myself, and two warriors all grouped up, gave our equipment one last check and headed into town. We worked like a machine. The warriors would engage, I would backstab, the mage would use hold person and bam, dead target. Now normally, this would just be another one person raid and head back home, except that another person showed up, so we took them out too, doing the exact same thing. Then two people, and another two, and *another* two, including a druid that was known as one of the most dangerous players in the game. He fell too. Our goblin warrior died after the 5th fight and had to wait 15 minutes before he could fight again, so when 5 people showed up to fight 3 of us, we were outnumbered. We were not outmatched. They all fell beneath the reaping scythe that was known as the "Death Squad" (I know, uncreative, but I was like 16 at the time.)

The goblin gets back to us, we take out 3 more people in rapid succession. Then, our holy grail showed up. The owner of the MUD had apparently been watching us this whole time, so he ended up logging onto his *very* twinked out Thief. He had equipment that hadn't been in the game for 5 years, he had equipment that had *never* been in the game, except on his character. At any rate, he showed up, we disarmed him on principal and killed him, getting two items out of him. For the record - this is heavily frowned upon since normally you should only be able to get one, but it was common practice for us.

After that, the attacks stopped, we went back to our keep, played "trade the loot to the person who needs it", and I got a few rare items out of it. Then, one by one, we get pulled to Admin rooms. The owner was livid that we killed his precious super mortal and then bragged about it, in group chat, which was only 4 of us. I get pulled up last and he just goes "So, you want a Death Squad T-shirt, eh?" which is a comment we made in group while doing our raid. Being the chronic smartass I am, I just go "Sure!" and held out my hand. He proceeds to not give me the tshirt, complain that we almost drove a dedicated player to quitting (by killing him once and getting ready to kill him again for good measure. It was the druid, for the record), and then complained about us knowing he ran the Super Rogue and that it shouldn't matter who played it. Next thing I know, I'm banned.

I ended up getting on one of my Alts and watching the chaos. Half of the town didn't know what just happened, the other half was just crying about it, and I ended up laying low for awhile on my alts before proudly proclaiming that I was the one who caused it all over the course of the next year. Some didn't believe me, some congratulated me for pulling off something that was remembered for the rest of the game's lifespan, and the ones who were in on it shared knowing winks. I don't think anything that...grand happened in the rest of the game because it was shut down about a year after that incident.

E: That's more than I thought I'd be writing.

• Locked thread