Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

peteyfoot posted:

What game would be appropriate for griefing adventures if I am only equipped with a MacBook?

I'm willing to try anything with a large goon userbase and plenty of opportunities for pubbie tears.

Well a good bit of the stories in this thread came from Second Life and the website appears to have a Mac0S version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!
What is Second Life's policy toward free speech? Could we stage a large protest against furries. We could have signs saying "God Hates Furries" and stuff. That could be fun. Perhaps too offensive, but it is furries we're dealing with here.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Machismo posted:

What is Second Life's policy toward free speech? Could we stage a large protest against furries. We could have signs saying "God Hates Furries" and stuff. That could be fun. Perhaps too offensive, but it is furries we're dealing with here.

NO SUCH THING

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Machismo posted:

You guys got credit for farting around in Second Life? WTF?

I got credit for TAing a class in Second Life and am currently helping some researchers study it at Oxford.

Machismo posted:

Inconsistent. Theoretically you have free speech but Linden Labs reserves a lot of rights.

Also to be honest the whole furries thing is getting played out when it comes to Second Life, over half of the SLS updates were just raiding furries and it's only so funny for so long before it just becomes formulaic.

Now the giant check thing Deco did--that was funny.

peteyfoot posted:

What game would be appropriate for griefing adventures if I am only equipped with a MacBook?

I'm willing to try anything with a large goon userbase and plenty of opportunities for pubbie tears.

You can run Second Life but it will loving suck on a machine with an integrated intel video card. You can give it a shot though.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
That's what I thought, I was hoping there is an older 2-d or text-based game with a Mac port I can use.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

FormerFatty posted:

https://www.somethingawfuluo.com has our last 6 months of griefing detailed with screenshots and movies... might be a good read for those seeking the nostalgic griefing that only UO can provide.

You spend an awful lot of time blogging about how much it sucks now.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!

Dolemite posted:

I go to Florida State University. Our SL campus is still in its infancy. Only a handful of buildings are done right now.

Ah, I'm waaay north of you then.
A strike on a college campus sim, especially during a class would be amusing, though some of them have stuff really locked down to prevent it since I'm sure most students would try and cause dicks to rain if they were given the slightest opportunity.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Google has a virtual world now.

http://www.lively.com/

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Petey posted:

Now the giant check thing Deco did--that was funny.

I haven't been SLing for sometime, and I must have missed that - was there a front page article or something about it? Or maybe just screenshots?

Petey posted:

This needs an immediate goon presence.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!

Petey posted:

I just checked it out. It blows immensely as of current.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

SixOhSix posted:

I just checked it out. It blows immensely as of current.

I second that. It doesn't load very well, lousy graphics, and 3D chatting is one of those ideas that never works right. Its as grief-able as AIM or IRC. It looks like just another one of those Google ideas that is thrown out there to see if its stuck.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Yeah, now that I actually look at it, it's nothing but 3D chat rooms, it's not a whole virtual "world" like SL. The rooms can have individual privacy settings, and you can put furniture on the walls or ceiling. Not particularly griefable, at least not in any entertaining way.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

This thread ALMOST convinced me to download SL.

Then I regained sanity.

E2M6
Jul 17, 2007

by Peatpot

m2pt5 posted:

No, no it does not.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I just remembered about the Genos which were used on Habbo Hotel and CokeMusic. I was thinking, what about bringing the Genos to Second Life? I'd imagine it's been attempted or at least thought about, but I haven't heard anything of the results of such.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008
Most of my griefing has come in the form of editing game files. It varies from game to game, depending on the type of game and the available files. Usually, it involves something like changing a weapon that nobody ever uses into a powerhouse of destruction.

One of my favourite examples is from worms 2. You are allowed to change the weapon configurations in the game (so that you could customize battles). Since the most common weapons configuration wasn't preset in the game (all weapons unlocked, limitless ammo, sometimes damage upped), people were very used to playing with custom configurations (sometimes with a cursory glance to see the basics). This was so easy to abuse. The most hilarious way was to set the damage of prod to 100 (prod is basically a taunt move that normally does no damage). Another way that tended to cause more grief/confusion would be to set the spread of the uzi or minigun to zero, and bullet count to maximum. With this setting, you could either a) get directly under an enemy worm and launch them straight up, or b) use the pointer to shoot at a worm halfway across the map, sniper style (the gun would quickly cut through intervening terrain).

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Nybble posted:

I second that. It doesn't load very well, lousy graphics, and 3D chatting is one of those ideas that never works right.

Active Worlds was awesome, you take that back :colbert:

Tommy Calamari
Feb 25, 2006

You see, there are three things that spur the mollusk from the sand
I had an entertaining little voyage in Second Life, although I didn't do too well on the griefing front.

I started by spending way too long assembling the perfect outfit.

This was my first mark. This guy called himself a 'professor', but that was cast into doubt when someone else told me he 'taught japanese'. He told me I was rude for asking too many questions and muted me. I knew people were serious in Second Life, but I wasn't really expecting this.

That taught me to be a little more subtle in my approach, so I went back to the 'freebie dungeon' to assemble a new outfit.

I decided I would be the only balding, pudgy, middle aged businessman in Second Life. I informed this guy that I was a representative for the Second Life Christian Association, which prompted him to go on some long rant about how god `hosed him over' with a girl last year.

I then hit up 'Planet Mobius' and told these guys I had a conference at the Swindon Holiday Inn and that I must have taken a wrong turn somewhere.

They ignored me, made a joke about my appearance (ouch), a joke about me being gay and then went back to talking about boring poo poo. I find this to be the standard response from groups of people in Second Life. Having a group of goons would definitely help.

I've also noticed that a lot of people just sit in groups saying nothing. What's up with that?

After trying various other role-play areas (Star Wars, Goth, Medieval) I decided that everyone in Second Life is really dull and went to my university's Second Life campus, which is huge, pointless and has a castle.

Tommy Calamari fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 9, 2008

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Tommy Calamari posted:

I've also noticed that a lot of people just sit in groups saying nothing. What's up with that?

I've never actually played Second Life but from what I hear there are people who will pay you to idle outside their land/store/whatever so it looks like it's a popular area and people will buy stuff.

The most griefing I ever did was probably just old fashioned training people in EQ1 and doing stuff like infiltrating my lovely guild's dumb wedding at one of the god shrines in The Realm (my guild was a crap one called Soldiers of Light) and pickpocketing everyone repeatedly. Also a variety of fake house drops and stuff.

I also tried to scam someone once but they were a total new player and i felt horrible and ended up giving them money and advice.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 9, 2008

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tommy Calamari posted:

They are talking in some other format; such as guild (or group) chat or voice chat.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Feathers posted:

No, no it does not.
I know, I sort-of retracted that in my next post.

Tommy Calamari posted:

You probably don't have voice chat turned on. If you don't, there's no indication that any is going on.

Tommy Calamari posted:

Having a group of goons would definitely help.
The region called 'what' is the goon homebase in SL. Just search it on the map.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Sankis posted:

I also tried to scam someone once but they were a total new player and i felt horrible and ended up giving them money and advice.
Aww. :3:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

joltx posted:

My personal favorite game to grief in is Warcraft 3. There is a pretty large and active goon contingent who are pretty much dedicated to causing pubbies to cry tears of blood and rage. WC3 goon Mata is quoted as saying: "It's not about macro, or micro, or strategy, or tactics: It's about pissing off the enemy team."

The main strategy involves the creative use of static base defense, towers, to create unassailable positions from which we mock the other team for however long it takes them to quit the game. The record for the longest game on battle.net is actually held by a few guys from the goon clan, clocking in at something like 17.5 hours. There's even a website that catalogs games in which we have griefed people. Our most popular strategy is on a map called "Highperch" for which we've become pretty well known in the Warcraft 3 battle.net scene. Here's a goon-made walkthrough of exactly how it's done. It's actually a very comprehensive guide that explains towering better than I could ever hope to. Worth the read even if you don't play warcraft.

[....pics....]

Definitely check out highper.ch for all the tower replays and Warcraft 3 griefing documentation you could ever want to see.

This is probably the granddaddy of your strategy. It's called THE CUBE and only worked in vanilla WC3 before the tower nerfs.

In vanilla WC3, heroes gained experience when a tower killed a unit. Human towers used to rock everything (fortified, very huge hp, etc), so the idea centered around one human player and two undead players. For non-Warcraft players, these two races are the only ones with any healing/invincibility abilities. The undead heroes could nuke and sleep heroes while the human heroes could stormbolt heroes and blizzard siege/massed units.

The three teams would fast tech to three heroes - while the human player teched mortars and towers, etc - creeped as much as possible, and cleared an expansion. The human would build a "cube" formation of towers; basically a giant block of towers, cannons in the middle surrounded by guard towers. By the time the cube was up, all the heroes were usually levels 3-5.

It was terribly annoying to fight against. Anyone with decent micro could handle three heroes without units with ease. It was easy to get to level 10, and the enemy army was denied experience because they didn't have anything to kill. The cube (which could have multiple minicubes defending it) protected a goldmine, alters, and a workshop.

The opposing team would never quit due to foolish notions of pride. Games often took 2+ hours. I remember playing one that was four hours one time. Fun was had by all!

I don't have any pictures or replays, but I'm sure if anyone cared enough, one would be able to find them.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Opius posted:

This is my new favourite thing to do in TF2.

I've always been creeped out by those players who've spent the last 10 hours on a server as a sniper. They never switch class, they never say anything. They just quietly stand there sniping away. You can never get a response out of them.

Doing this finally got a response out of them. I found some instaspawn 2fort server and set it up just like this. Then I ran to the exit to start taunting. Before I could even get down there though someone used the teleporter and I hear this angry scream over the mic. There was something terrifying about hearing a scream from some asperger who spent the last 10 hours being perfectly quiet. He'd run upstairs, get teleported downstairs, and scream.

Atltais
May 21, 2004
And there was much rejoicing.
One time on a player-run UO server (before RunUO was even around) called Neverlands several years ago, two of the shard's most popular characters were getting e-married, with an administrator as the priest. I was red (a murderer) and not very welcome. However, I got to the site wearing only a robe, teleported behind the altar, stated a deep internal monologue out loud about how I only had 'a few left.' Everyone was more or less going '?????????', 'wtf?' or 'lol wtf?'

Then I threw five or six greater explosion potions onto the altar and benches.

...The admin, for some reason, hadn't set himself invulnerable. They threw me in e-jail for a week for doing that. :(

I might have pictures lying around, I'll need to dig them up.

Atltais fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 9, 2008

Gade
Jul 15, 2006
Way back when (and sometimes now I go in and see what's changed) I used to play RPGWO. This was a 2d rpg game similar to Tibia. It was very sandboxy, giving creative or bored people a good run at fun.

The Bone Gorvor
As a mage you could do whatever the gently caress you wanted to, but a little known secret was that you could create big strong undead motherfucker rip your face off demon dragons out of simple bones. In game terms they were godly. They attacked from two tiles away and they were classified as quick which allowed them to attack twice as fast as anything else.

At this point in the game there was no limit on the number of tames one could have. Naturally, the only logical thing to do was gather up a hundred or so bones and start making Gorvors. Surely no one would notice the increased server load or the tonnes of beasts marching behind one lone guy walking into town.

This is where the fun begins.
The main city, Claye, was home to sieges. Everyone would take a warp at a certain time of day, have fun at some castle, and then return to town. These things got big, primarily because the exp gain was monstrous. Especially for the new guys.

I started untaming Gorvors as the siege was about to end knowing full well that I could be killed myself from some rogue Gorvor stabbing me in the chest with its kill you tail. But luckily the game's mechanics were screwy and untamed tames stay put. Perfect

This queued the biggest mass slaughter the server has ever seen. People who teleported back into town were insta-killed. Most of the new guys didn't know that you could choose different spawns, so they kept getting killed over and over again. Even the higher level players were dieing to the ambush. The game's karma system eventually rolled back most players a few days. Making for some annoying re-leveling.

I couldn't profit off the darn thing because mages don't wear armor. They die- and to their own tames. Sieges were never the same after that, and from there on there was always an admin to clean up messes. It was great to be known as "that loving mage."

Fun game. The sandbox element gives it a bunch of stories. If anyone's interested I also have "Pink walls and Blue Town Halls" and "UTWorld: Mules, Mortars, and You"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Seriously, we want to hear griefing stories. Don't tease us, just type them up and share the hilarity.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

I Said No posted:

I just remembered about the Genos which were used on Habbo Hotel and CokeMusic. I was thinking, what about bringing the Genos to Second Life? I'd imagine it's been attempted or at least thought about, but I haven't heard anything of the results of such.

There have been a few that did it, but Geno-griefing really only worked well in the Habbo and Coke contexts. Plus, it's a bit dated and infamous now, so the reactions you'd get from it would be nowhere near as good.

Like someone mentioned earlier, innovation is the key to humorous griefing. The first time someone buttfucks Reggie Fils-Aime in SL is hilarious. But if his character sat around idling for months, and everyone buttfucked Reggie and put 2,394 videos of it up on Youtube, it would eventually lose its humor.

This is where many people have issues with the flare griefing in TF2. Sure, you still get great reactions out of people when you do it, but the novelty is gone. Reactions are only half of the equation of good griefing; creativity is the other half.

Instead of Geno-ing, come up with something new and great that will inspire people for a short period of time before it gets completely played out and tired and run into the ground. You can use other ideas as inspiration too, as long as you innovate just a little bit. Like a massive conga-line that busts into RPers properties, encouraging everyone to join it, and then eventually leads them to their doom a la the Lava Room Club.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

If anyone really wants to grief in Second Life, these guys have it down to a science, although their "science" is mostly particle and sound spamming, with the occasional gun that sends you millions of meters in the air.

Crash Bandicoot
Feb 23, 2007

by T. Fine

m2pt5 posted:

The TF2 flare bug has been fixed. :(

Luckily the goons are an imaginative lot so this should be just a minor setback in the grand scheme of things. Why, I bet TEAM FLARE are putting the finishing touches on some new griefing anecdotes right now.

edit: guys how do i make my avatar a cock in second life these controls are hard

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
The one day when all the Genos gathered to trancend to the Gray Path hinting at it will be a Johnesburg was awesome. Everyone just grouped up in one room, being constantly hassled by the Prismatics, said our goodbyes and just walked away typing nothing else. The fake Genos who were trying to undermine us continued talking to make fun of it, but then everyone realized 99% of the genos were really not moving.

It seriously freaked people out.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Abugadu posted:

creativity
This can not be emphasized enough. Downloading hacks, using cheats, spawn-camping some hapless newbie, are all simple and easy to do and repeat in nearly any setting. You may have noticed that all of the GOOD stories in this thread, were probably the first time you've heard of someone doing that specific process of griefing, or they were the first+final instance of someone finding or doing something wickedly nasty with the flair of MacGyver.

Finding the exploit, using an underutilised ability/item/class/area to gently caress with people, figuring out how to ban GMs or anonymously send out global messages or fatal amounts of damage without being traced. That is what's important, often even moreso than the actual woe you cause to people.

Griefers are pioneers, never forget that.

If you're playing Runescape and ripping people off by pretending to lose link after someone hands you an item, or hollering "Hay guys, alt-f4 will magically double your golds!" and then claiming to be griefing people, then you're doing it wrong.

Good griefing is like art, man. It takes skill, and timing, and a desire to create something (even if you're just creating chaos and horror.) You can't just paint 4 cans of soup on a canvas and call it art, it's been done man. You gotta at least think up a good premise why your 4 cans are superior! :D

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 9, 2008

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
;

Crime on a Dime fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 31, 2010

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Mundane griefing is still hilarious no matter what you guys say.

Junji Eat More
Oct 22, 2005

You don't know it, but you are full of stahs
SS13 has come up many times in this, but I've tried to develop a nonlethal method of griefing. Sure, killing people is easy and fun, but it's much better to get the station in a furious uproar until they hunt you down and brutally murder you for your transgressions.

Back on the old maps, characters would spawn in naked, and have to clothe themselves. It was a simple trick to take all the clothing out of the start area, and this soon led to gathering all the clothing on the station, and ejecting it out the mass launcher. When Security was ordered to kill me, I systematically tazed anyone I came across, only to steal their jumpsuit and make my escape.

It's a joy to see people coming to blows or searching for corpses to hide their nakedness.

Picking one resource in SS13 and cornering the entire supply of it is always good for a laugh.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Necronomiconomist posted:

SS13 has come up many times in this, but I've tried to develop a nonlethal method of griefing. Sure, killing people is easy and fun, but it's much better to get the station in a furious uproar until they hunt you down and brutally murder you for your transgressions.

Back on the old maps, characters would spawn in naked, and have to clothe themselves. It was a simple trick to take all the clothing out of the start area, and this soon led to gathering all the clothing on the station, and ejecting it out the mass launcher. When Security was ordered to kill me, I systematically tazed anyone I came across, only to steal their jumpsuit and make my escape.

It's a joy to see people coming to blows or searching for corpses to hide their nakedness.

Picking one resource in SS13 and cornering the entire supply of it is always good for a laugh.

Welding the entire station into lockers and logging out is kind of classic, as well.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

m2pt5 posted:

I haven't been SLing for sometime, and I must have missed that - was there a front page article or something about it? Or maybe just screenshots?

They're in already.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DeathCon05 posted:

Mundane griefing is still hilarious no matter what you guys say.
No, it really isn't. It's almost as hip and popular as Metallica post-Napster.. You know, a couple people like some songs on one of their post-Black albums, but everyone knew it was over when the monkey rant video came out.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 9, 2008

Junji Eat More
Oct 22, 2005

You don't know it, but you are full of stahs
Guys, I know you think you're having fun when you're griefing in a classic style, but trust me, you're not. I'm an expert on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
;

Crime on a Dime fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 31, 2010

• Locked thread