Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
The thing is, even "classic" or "mundane" griefing can be fun if you're creative with it. I remember a quake 3 mod called "excessive quake" or something where you couldn't be hurt by your own splash damage and every gun had infinite ammo and stuff. A guy at a LAN I frequented got the game nearly permanently taken out of rotation because he figured out he could bind "llok straight down" and "fire" to the space bar; he would start a map, put his mouse down on his space bar, and leave. The in-game result was that he would be floating on top of a column of fire the whole round, and any time anyone respawned at that spawn point they would be instantly vaporized. Since most maps only had 3 or four spawns at the most, it meant that any time anyone died there was at worst a 1 in 4 chance you would instantly be killed again and he'd get the credit for it. Sometimes particularly unlucky people would chain-spawn under him, and even if you killed him he'd just instantly repeat it wherever he spawned next.

Quite often he'd just get up and wander over to where the other players were and start trash-talking them. "Man, I'm leading in kills and I'm not even there, what's the matter with you guys?" etc. So sure, it was just simple spawn-camping, with a macro even, but it was extremely entertaining and well worth some pubbie tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crash Bandicoot
Feb 23, 2007

by T. Fine
Simple griefing such as teamkilling can be fun for the griefer, the point is that it makes for crappy stories and nobody wants the tales of epic scams and second life harassment interrupted with "I just crashed a server!!" posts.

That AFK spawn camping story is hilarious, though. More of that, please!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Gade posted:

RPGWO

Wow, I used to play that game. I don't remember anything about giant bone monsters though, so I think they must have been taken out by the time I played. I remember giant spiders that laid eggs which I bred in my basement though.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
24/7 Instant Respawn 2fort. Just saying those words should send shivers down any sane TF2 player's spine. However, some people actually enjoy camping the battlements as sniper round after round, hour after hour. Never going for the intelligence, never contributing to the team.

This will not do.

I wonder if they'll get the message and switch to a less useless class to contribute?

Alas, they are not catching on. Especially one of them, meet SkyhawkCaptain.

Some people are quicker than others. An example being everyone is quicker than poor SkyhawkCaptain.

Eventually an evil duplicitous engineer built a teleporter entrance near my exit to make my mild inconvenience even milder! Obviously, the only solution was to drop the new entrance and run down to my exit, wait for the witless sniper to come sparkling through and hop the entrance pointing and laughing as I did so!

I'd like to think that I made some difference in their lives.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I see your point about creativity. Admittedly, I hadn't put that much thought into it given i'm sitting bullshitting about it and not actually doing it.

On the topic of non-lethal SS13 griefing, that's probably the best way to grief on there given the victim is stuck and entirely at your mercy, bar suicide (and there's not always the ability to respawn and come back). This will not work on the goon servers for much longer, but I can't see pubs changing it.

CDE375DBA6C2345DBDA50EFE1230CEB63

It probably looks like gibberish to anyone, and maybe to some SS13 players, but this is essentially the ultimate nonlethal grief on someone. It takes a bit of setup - you need to have access to medlab, medlab needs power, and you need a bit of time to be able to pull it off - knocking someone out and dragging them to medlab may not work given you need quite a while to replace DNA.

But if you wipe out their SE DNA and give them that code in its place, what results is the player's character becomes blind, deaf, unable to speak, and constantly twitches violently and has siezures making them fall down all the time. I haven't actually done this to anyone yet (not cruel enough to do it to goons), but I worked it out after becoming interested in the game's DNA system.

Basically, give a player this DNA and they are 100% crippled and unable to act with the game world in any meaningful way. What other players will see is someone either standing there doing nothing, or silently stumbling around ineptly, twitching and falling over constantly. What the victim will see is a black screen with the text "You had a siezure!" popping up occasionally, as well as never recieving any sort of ingame communication at all because of the deafness.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

I Said No posted:

CDE375DBA6C2345DBDA50EFE1230CEB63

I love SS13 so much.

The only way you could make this better would be to o2 mask and handcuff them, weld them into locker and the fire it into space.

PeenCommander
Jun 24, 2008

Authorman posted:

24/7 Instant Respawn 2fort. Just saying those words should send shivers down any sane TF2 player's spine. However, some people actually enjoy camping the battlements as sniper round after round, hour after hour. Never going for the intelligence, never contributing to the team.

This will not do.

I wonder if they'll get the message and switch to a less useless class to contribute?

Some people are quicker than others. An example being everyone is quicker than poor SkyhawkCaptain.

Eventually an evil duplicitous engineer built a teleporter entrance near my exit to make my mild inconvenience even milder! Obviously, the only solution was to drop the new entrance and run down to my exit, wait for the witless sniper to come sparkling through and hop the entrance pointing and laughing as I did so!

you've inspired me to start doing this

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Pound_Coin posted:

I love SS13 so much.

The only way you could make this better would be to o2 mask and handcuff them, weld them into locker and the fire it into space.
Surreptiously replacing the emergency oxygen tanks (in case of fire, decompression or spacewalk) with anaesthetic. Hand-held tanks can contain insane amounts of gas, enough to keep them unconscious (and unable to respawn) for the rest of the half-hour round.

Or the old classic - toxin researcher (makes bombs), whip up a radio bomb, stick it in a backpack and wear it on your back. Go into a crowded area like the medbay, shout your praise of Allah and detonate.

Goddamn, now I want to play SS13 again :gonk:

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!
Oh, the wonders of MUDs. They have so many features that graphical online games can only dream of. I still feel a MUD is a prime griefing environment because of this. Some of you have probably at least tried Achaea. I think it's the first Iron Realms game.

Iron Realms games are notorious for having incredible lists of status changes and afflictions players can suffer from. This means there's an even bigger list of counters, cures and preventative measures. Buffs, herbs, salves, potions, tattoos, runes and lord knows what else. The whole thing is complicated enough that just about every player develops some kind of combat system using aliases, triggers and macros to automate things like healing and item management. So what do you do to a PVP junkie that you can't stand? Send him a letter!

>read letter
Your limbs begin to feel numb.
(press any key to read more)

If the reader happens to leave his triggers on, his combat system will keep wasting expensive resources trying to fix a problem that isn't there. This always prompted an outburst on public channels, but it couldn't really be punished because Achaea was a mandatory RP game at the time. Watching your combat system puke all over itself wasn't an in-character thing.

Next, about 3 of the 4 years I spent playing Achaea was as a member of the shaman guild. One of their skillsets revolved entirely around creating voodoo dolls of other players. One skill was used to fashion a doll while in the same room as the target. Continuing to fashion the doll enabled more and more powerful skills. These other skills consumed fashions, but could be used on the doll to do things to the player it resembles at any range. Some really fun ones included the ability to pour alchohol in the doll's mouth to get the player drunk. In Achaea, you can drink until you die of alchohol poisoning. A small part of PVP actually involved building up a high alchohol tolerance through regular drinking. Another fun ability forced the player to perform an action. Just about any action, in fact. The list gradually shrunk as people made shaman alts and abused it. You could also break bones by twisting arms and legs, scry the target's exact location, or listen in to hear what the target hears. With enough fashions on the doll, you could even summon the target! This was really useful within the guild to rescue friends and family from certain doom. Vodun's signature move was Obliterate. It required at least 50 rounds of fashioning and destroyed the doll, but it caused maggots to eat the player from the inside out. This completely destroyed the body and prevented all but the most costly form of resurrection, costing the poor bastard a good chunk of experience.

So what were the drawbacks? Dolls only lasted 30 days before decaying. They also didn't work if the target wasn't online. They were also easy to lose because they had to be held in a hand to work. They could be stolen or otherwise removed. Then there was the matter of getting fashions in the first place. Time spent fashioning a doll is time not spent on the offensive. Still, getting a doll capable of Obliterate was enough to keep that person from playing for a full month.

The shamans were a very tightly-knit group. Picking on one usually meant a small group would eventually find you, hold you down with curses and totems, and make a doll or two while you squirm on the floor. I was in one of these parties once and was happily fashioning away when a little party of local goody-goodies stopped by and asked what was up. They were a bit hostile about it so my support stopped trying to hold my victim in place. She freed and cured herself while my party explained things. I kept fashioning, knowing that only the target would see me doing it. She had to stay in the room and let me keep going since running away would make her seem quite guilty. By the time it was over, I was back at the shaman guild hall with a very well fashioned doll and a backpack full of tequila.

My revenge was sweet. I'd scry with the doll until I found my victim busy in a well known levelling area. Then I'd pump her so full of tequila that she could barely stand. I counted at least one death from this, caused by being unable to defend herself while mobs beat her down. Then there was the fun of listening to her whine in private to whoever happened to be around. I couldn't tell. She eventually logged out. Every time I logged in and saw her online, she disappeared moments later. This made it very difficult to do anything else to her. I at least wanted to finish with an old fashioned Obliterate before I lost the doll! It led to me creating an alias to log in and immediately attempt to obliterate before the target could log out. Took almost a week, but I eventually landed it.

Soon after, vodun was changed to reach only within the same area. It just meant we had to get closer to the target. This wasn't because of my actions alone, though. Some time after that, the old process of manually inducting novice guild members as full guild members was removed. It used to be that novices had to be interviewed by a high ranking guild member for RP purposes (and to weed out moles and spying alts). You wouldn't believe the number of character backgrounds involving, "I'm the only survivor from my village. It was burned down by a man in a black cloak with red eyes." I was never a RP nazi, but that pretty much required an instant failure.

I'm almost entirely certain that I failed a novice alt played by the game's creator. He was righteously pissed and removed the novice system only days later. It was changed to automatically induct novices after a certain amount of time. This led to guilds with heavily RP-regulated skillsets getting abused. Guild secrets from every guild were released and things went to hell pretty quickly. Last I heard, there were no more guilds in Achaea.

Gambles
Sep 14, 2005

If you like my body
and you think I'm sexy,
come on baby let me know
Before everyone became level 9 and 10 prestige on COD 4 only the people that played 8 hours a day had that privilege. Late at night you could find many of these players in hardcore mode playing search and destroy, and if you were lucky sometimes in large groups called clans.

Now playing in this hardcore mode online requires you to be a certain prestige level, luckily if you had just created a new xbox live account they provide you with 30 days of gold free and if you don't mind wasting 30 minutes you could reach this prestige level fairly quickly, and so we did, several times.

Now the best thing to look for is a team of older gentleman who really just enjoy their hardcore search and destroy mode. What you want to do though is equip yourself with a rocket launcher and as soon as the round starts just swap weapons as fast as possible and blow your team to pieces. If you've practiced this through trial and error as I have many, many times you could get quite good at this and instantly kill your entire team leaving everyone in the room doing a combination of several things. Many of which include having obscenities screamed at you, a plethora of racial slurs, and of course it wouldn't be complete without having your sexual orientation called into question by what sound to be middle-aged white males who really just love their military games.

The best way to do this is with a friend and if you're lucky he gets to be on the opposite team. Why would you want him on the other team? Why to do the same thing to his team leaving the round to be a draw map after map.

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Sentient Toaster posted:

Shaman Fun

As a Shaman myself, I too loved making enemies stumble drunkenly in the middle of a fight. During the game's first big Experience event after the Shamans were created a group of friends and I took it upon ourselves to help our friend win. Anyone that approached the top 3 ranks found themselves dolled and released with a pat on the head. Any time they tried to grind, they found themselves drunk, pouring out their healing vials on the ground, etc.

My favorite combination, which has since been removed, was what we eventually called the 'slowlock'. There was an affliction that caused one of your commands to not make it through the parser at a rate of about once per second, a concussion. Not too bad, just enter every command twice (smart players usually did). However, another skill, Slow, made you only capable of entering one command a second. Obviously they combined to make a very frustrated player. In fact, you couldn't even log out.

Now, I hated thieves stealing from my novices more than anything. I would find them, make the doll, and take them to the Flame (resurrection place). I would slowlock them, steal everything they took back, make a few backup dolls, and announce to the world that I was done with them. Thieves were free-PK, and the poor thief player couldn't even log. Once someone killed them, I would wait out the required 'safe' period, about 10 minutes, and do it again.

Slow fades after like 10 seconds now, and both skills require so many fashions you would never use them. The class was a poor idea from the get-go, a true griefer paradise. The guild tried to reign their players in and keep it to a minimum, so they wouldn't be nerfed, and it worked for a while. Now that guilds are gone, and classes are free... the Shaman is a sad, sad thing.

Lizking
Mar 10, 2007

Don't worry, we'll englighten them...

Authorman posted:

This will not do.

please tell me the server didn't have any form of language filter and that he typed out those asterisks manually

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!

Flashing Twelve posted:

Surreptiously replacing the emergency oxygen tanks (in case of fire, decompression or spacewalk) with anaesthetic. Hand-held tanks can contain insane amounts of gas, enough to keep them unconscious (and unable to respawn) for the rest of the half-hour round.

Or the old classic - toxin researcher (makes bombs), whip up a radio bomb, stick it in a backpack and wear it on your back. Go into a crowded area like the medbay, shout your praise of Allah and detonate.

Goddamn, now I want to play SS13 again :gonk:

That does sound sweet. Whats the deal with someone putting the station in a locker? Does the game not have size constraints?

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
I remember another UO story site about a massive group of players (they called themselves the Bobs or some other generic name or something, I can't quite recall) who would grief servers in an awesome way. They'd each create newbie characters called Bob (I think) and all wear the same colour of robes. Once they had a huge swarm they'd just completely zerg people and overpower everything with superior numbers. This pissed everyone off because they were getting killed by crappy start-out characters, and I think if the Bobs died they could just create another character in about a second. It was like the grandaddy of Genos.

Anybody remember this/have a link?

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Raiche posted:

More Shaman fun.
I have to agree that enforcing roleplay isn't the best way to keep abusable abilities like vodun under control. It's exactly like the honor system. On a related note, I remember the big, stupid grin I had the day I learned the masochism curse just from teaching dozens and dozens of novices over time. From then on, the excessively sassy/violent novices learned to love smacking themselves around until they died. I have no idea how I got away with this.

For those that haven't played, using curses involved simply pointing at the target. That person would see you point at them and then the affliction message would pop up on a separate line. I think the final curse skill was called Blight. Think of it like a revolver that fires curses. You'd load it up with a handful of select curses and using it would fire off a random one at the target. So what made it worth the curse mastery? Affliction messages would not be displayed to the target. I never got it, but I've seen it in action. Hilarious. Especially on a shaman built for rapid-fire curses.

For these reasons my character's warcry was, "Wanna know why it's rude to point?"

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
I mentioned this in the BF:BC thread but it took until yesterday for it to actually cause multiple people to rage out on me.

There's this gun that the Specialist class has in Bad Company online that shoots a tracer dart that sticks to anything. Its purpose is to tag enemy vehicles so they stay on radar permanently but my first day playing I figured out that regular human enemies could be tagged as well. Friends could, too. One day I randomly shot a guy I've been playing with with that gun and he was like "dude, I can't see. There's a loving red strobe light on my screen."

I was like "that'd be my tracer."

He died, respawned as a spec, and started doing the same to me. Eventually we had a truce and started doing it to other people in our squad. Anytime we'd shoot someone, they'd have an ornament announcing their presence to the world like a big pink gay neon light so it was fun to just laugh at them and see them try to get it off.

Then yesterday we started shooting them at snipers on our team.

When a sniper scopes in, the tracer takes up way more screen real estate to the point where, if we were lucky, it would obscure their entire view. They would then proceed to rage out and attempt to kill us. I had a sniper chase me across an entire map with a knife. It was even better if they were in our squad and already getting pissed off at being counter sniped. We'd shoot our load of 10 tracers a piece on some guy, and tell them they looked like a christmas tree. One of them screamed "I AM NOT A GOD DAMNED CHRISTMAS TREE" and quit the server.

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Sentient Toaster posted:

drat novices, and blight.

I would make them asthmatic, so they took damage from running too fast. Then make them agoraphobic, then claustrophobic. I just loved watching them run around in uncontrollable fear, then drop to the ground from suffocation. People should learn to be nice when they want something; jackass newbies get jackassery in return. You likely got away with it because the guild leaders thought it was just as funny. I know I got really tired of 4chan spouting, or chatroom kids.

Also, Blight had a good bug, and still does. You could load one curse in it, instead of five, then use it. So.. you always know what you're giving, and the target never does.

Sonny_Crockett
Jun 1, 2000
I used to play on a MUD, actually a MOO, with a cyberpunk theme. The MOO had the usual division between PKers and RPers, and a lot of griefing of the latter by the former. The best griefing I ever saw on there took place as a result of a wedding staged by the RPers. This seems to be a running theme in online multiplayer games.

Players could create any kind of nonfunctional item out of a basic 'cloth' object, you'd customize the details of the object for when other people looked at it, or set emotes that could be triggered by it, but no actual code was allowed. So you couldn't create a working gun, but you could create one that when you pulled the trigger, everyone in the room would see a flag come out and go 'bang', etc. One of the roleplayers had created a baby for herself, built out of the generic cloth object. She was getting married to her in-game 'baby daddy'. The wedding was crashed by a PK street gang, and they slaughtered the wedding party. The good bit is; they stole the bride's baby and put it in a vending machine on the main drag, priced at something approaching the sum total of all the money in the economy. So every time the RPer's logged in, they pretty much had to walk past their own child staring out at them from a vending machine.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I was just playing some Battlefield Vietnam.

People got a little upset after I named my guy John McCain and started crashing my plane into enemy territory.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

seiken posted:

I remember another UO story site about a massive group of players (they called themselves the Bobs or some other generic name or something, I can't quite recall) who would grief servers in an awesome way. They'd each create newbie characters called Bob (I think) and all wear the same colour of robes. Once they had a huge swarm they'd just completely zerg people and overpower everything with superior numbers. This pissed everyone off because they were getting killed by crappy start-out characters, and I think if the Bobs died they could just create another character in about a second. It was like the grandaddy of Genos.

Can't find anything, but I recall an opposing faction of Freds, and the short-lived Purple Archer Newbie Squad.

UO was far from perfect, but few games allowed as much outright insanity as UO did.

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH

Dosvidanya posted:

When a sniper scopes in, the tracer takes up way more screen real estate to the point where, if we were lucky, it would obscure their entire view. They would then proceed to rage out and attempt to kill us. I had a sniper chase me across an entire map with a knife. It was even better if they were in our squad and already getting pissed off at being counter sniped. We'd shoot our load of 10 tracers a piece on some guy, and tell them they looked like a christmas tree. One of them screamed "I AM NOT A GOD DAMNED CHRISTMAS TREE" and quit the server.

This is good to know, as the 4-5 snipers on your team that are sitting miles away from the action taking potshots and doing absolutely nothing the whole match aside from maintaining a slightly positive score irritate me to no end. Sometimes I just kill them but that penalizes me.

Is there a particular area I should shoot to cover the sniper's scope? The head?

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I read a grief from earlier in this thread about "Crouching With Nade" in Counterstrike: Source and decided to give it a shot. The first few servers didn't amount to much. Just some random stares and "wtf"s. Then on one server the other team saw me crouch-walking around with a grenade cooking and not shooting. I told them that I was a Combat Medic and that killing me would be a war crime. That got a few laughs and they made a truce with me not to kill me. So for the rest of the map's rounds I had free reign on the map crouch walking around.

After a while it got boring so I changed my name to "Journalist" and started narrating the match all of which not firing a single bullet. After a few rounds of that I became bored again and started peeking around corners and watching for my teammates so that I could announce it to the opposing team. This of course pissed my team off something awful. Apparently when you are crouched you can become stuck if someone crouch-throws a smoke grenade at your feet. So I had about three people from my team following me around the server gluing my rear end to the floor. Fun times were had.

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 9, 2008

Irascalopolator
Jun 17, 2003

Nevermind. Serves me right for thinking I was at the end of the thread :(

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

Oplem posted:

This is good to know, as the 4-5 snipers on your team that are sitting miles away from the action taking potshots and doing absolutely nothing the whole match aside from maintaining a slightly positive score irritate me to no end. Sometimes I just kill them but that penalizes me.

Is there a particular area I should shoot to cover the sniper's scope? The head?

head, chest. It also works from the back if they're running away.

Basically you want to get 2-3 on them, at least, to maximize the whole not being able to see thing.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

T-C47 posted:

Can't find anything, but I recall an opposing faction of Freds, and the short-lived Purple Archer Newbie Squad.

UO was far from perfect, but few games allowed as much outright insanity as UO did.

Yeah that sounds right, you're definitely thinking of the same thing. I've not been able to google anything though. Pity, cause it was hilarious.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

quote:

I heard of a group like this that wore Orc masks and PK'd anyone who was trying to kill orcs. Which makes a little more sense, but not much.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Sentient Toaster posted:

Iron Realms games are notorious for having incredible lists of status changes and afflictions players can suffer from. This means there's an even bigger list of counters, cures and preventative measures. Buffs, herbs, salves, potions, tattoos, runes and lord knows what else. The whole thing is complicated enough that just about every player develops some kind of combat system using aliases, triggers and macros to automate things like healing and item management. So what do you do to a PVP junkie that you can't stand? Send him a letter!

>read letter
(press any key to read more)

If the reader happens to leave his triggers on, his combat system will keep wasting expensive resources trying to fix a problem that isn't there. This always prompted an outburst on public channels, but it couldn't really be punished because Achaea was a mandatory RP game at the time. Watching your combat system puke all over itself wasn't an in-character thing.
Abusing other people's poorly-constructed triggers is always loads of fun on MUDs. just walking into a roomful of people and "emote sends you sprawling." in most diku MUDs will force everyone to stand up, casters to auto-flee, etc.

I have been playing one of the oldest MUDs around again recently, MUME. Most of the players there use a client to play and set up triggers and aliases and scripts, but among other things, the generally preferred client has trouble parsing certain non-alphanumeric characters, and instead pukes them out as if they came out as commands from the player.. Combine this with a lot of hardcore, fulltime pvp swedes who're essentially running bots (although this is punishable by the imms, it's rarely noted for the guys from the MUD owner's country for some odd reason..)

So when someone narrates like "#;stand;quaff potion;remove sword;change mood wimpy;emote gets down on his knees and sucks you off", people will follow that string of commands.

To top this off, MUME has a pvp race of Trolls (which if you're familiar with Tolkein at all, you know can turn to statues when caught in sunlight,) who die down to level one and essentially need to be rerolled if they're ever caught in the sunlight.

So I made a low level troll, walked to Grinder (the general center of the troll warrens,) where a good-sized group of high level troll players were chilling, waiting for nightfall so they could go smash hobbits.

Of course, I just spewed the speedwalk commands to get up and exit the troll caves and go a few rooms out into sunlight.

...I've never seen a bunch of swedes so angry in my entire life. I think I'm sitebanned now, too. ;)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

coyo7e posted:

So when someone narrates like "#;stand;quaff potion;remove sword;change mood wimpy;emote gets down on his knees and sucks you off", people will follow that string of commands.

I loved doing this. People always had semi-colon as their command stack key too.

I remember in one particular mud there was a guy sitting at the town square who tipped his hat to everyone who entered. So when the guy saw:

code:
Jerry enters the room
His scripts automatically go:

code:
tip jerry
which then emotes that he has tipped his hat to Jerry.

He didn't think it was very funny when I typed:

code:
Bill;delete;delete enters the room
which caused him to run:

code:
tip bill;delete;delete
and delete his character.

portabello
Jul 23, 2007

Sonny_Crockett posted:

I used to play on a MUD, actually a MOO, with a cyberpunk theme. The MOO had the usual division between PKers and RPers, and a lot of griefing of the latter by the former. The best griefing I ever saw on there took place as a result of a wedding staged by the RPers. This seems to be a running theme in online multiplayer games.

Players could create any kind of nonfunctional item out of a basic 'cloth' object, you'd customize the details of the object for when other people looked at it, or set emotes that could be triggered by it, but no actual code was allowed. So you couldn't create a working gun, but you could create one that when you pulled the trigger, everyone in the room would see a flag come out and go 'bang', etc. One of the roleplayers had created a baby for herself, built out of the generic cloth object. She was getting married to her in-game 'baby daddy'. The wedding was crashed by a PK street gang, and they slaughtered the wedding party. The good bit is; they stole the bride's baby and put it in a vending machine on the main drag, priced at something approaching the sum total of all the money in the economy. So every time the RPer's logged in, they pretty much had to walk past their own child staring out at them from a vending machine.

This is the funniest thing in this thread so far and I don't think anything is going to top it.

Anyway, I don't know if this exactly counts as griefing, but in Sonic 2 for the Genesis there is a two player race mode. Pretty much it is a split screen race through one of the game's regular stages. One of the game's 2 player options changes all the powerup monitors into teleporters that swap the two player's positions. Whenever this option was enabled I would sort of fake my way through the stage, playing particularly poorly and not making much progress. Just as my opponent is approaching the goal I would pop one of the teleport monitors and send my opponent back to near the start of the level and myself right next to the goal. It may not seem like much but it definitely pissed off anybody I was playing with.

Also, when playing Smash Brothers on the N64, a favorite tactic of mine was, instead of fighting, to constantly kongicide all my opponents. That is, I would play as DK, grab someone as if to throw them, then jump of the side of the stage killing us both. Over and over again.

Griffon
May 14, 2003

Saint Freak posted:

which caused him to run:

code:
tip bill;delete;delete
and delete his character.

Now, this is funny poo poo.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

portabello posted:

Also, when playing Smash Brothers on the N64, a favorite tactic of mine was, instead of fighting, to constantly kongicide all my opponents. That is, I would play as DK, grab someone as if to throw them, then jump of the side of the stage killing us both. Over and over again.

You can do a similar thing with Kirby; inhale an opponent, but don't swallow and walk off the side instead.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

m2pt5 posted:

You can do a similar thing with Kirby; inhale an opponent, but don't swallow and walk off the side instead.
Yeah, I haven't played Smash Bros in nearly 10 years, and even I know that Kirby could grief the gently caress out of people in that game. ;)

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Sonny_Crockett posted:

Oh god, Cybersphere. I remember hearing that story years and years ago.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sonny_Crockett posted:

Ahahah, more of these please.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

m2pt5 posted:

Better yet, one of Kirby's throws was a reverse somersault, so you can grab them and do a backflip off the stage with them.

You can even do something similar to this in SSBB... Ganon's forward-B usually grabs them by the face and slams them into the ground, but used in the air, you go down to slam them into the ground. So if you do it over a pit, you can kamikaze them to death.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Whoever was claiming to have put 20 machine guns on a mech in MW3 was lying.

The game maxes out at 11 weapons (may be 10 or 12, within that range definitely).

The ultimate griefmech in that was an Atlas or Annihilator/Daishi loaded with LRM20s. Each missile had to be rendered (btw the sound isn't multiplied either) and had fog/lighting effects, which could super-chug/crash a computer at the time.

Are there any MMOs that actually LOOK decent that're free?

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

coyo7e posted:

To top this off, MUME has a pvp race of Trolls (which if you're familiar with Tolkein at all, you know can turn to statues when caught in sunlight,) who die down to level one and essentially need to be rerolled if they're ever caught in the sunlight.

So I made a low level troll, walked to Grinder (the general center of the troll warrens,) where a good-sized group of high level troll players were chilling, waiting for nightfall so they could go smash hobbits.

Of course, I just spewed the speedwalk commands to get up and exit the troll caves and go a few rooms out into sunlight.

...I've never seen a bunch of swedes so angry in my entire life. I think I'm sitebanned now, too. ;)

This is amazing, did you completely ruin their characters forever?

MrDutch
Jul 9, 2008

Yes they are shoes made of wood. Nothing weird about it, please stop taking my picture. I am NOT a tourist attraction!

MrDutch fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 8, 2012

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Spiffo posted:

This is amazing, did you completely ruin their characters forever?
No, since the higher-level imms (most of which live in the fabulous land of fjords, hehe) decided that it was I was "abusing triggers in a pvp situation" while they were technically "not expecting to be in a pvp situation," I was punished and they were restored from a charfile from a day or two before.

I can understand the logic, since I really did do precisely that. But gently caress, man, just be a man about it and say "you're a douchebag and you permakilled 1/3 of the warlord list, you're outta here!" :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.

whateverfor posted:

How does where he posted change whether or not he should feel bad? Just because a bunch of people here will rationalize what he did doesn't change anything.

I don't think just because the internet is anonymous, you have some indisputable right to be an rear end in a top hat to everyone you don't know. Many of the stories in this thread are hilarious, and only temporarily inconvenienced the guy being griefed. Of the ones with permanent consequences (MMO stuff), it's generally through in-game mechanics that are "expected" parts of the game experience. Getting some guy banned by impersonating an admin is funny, leaving him banned is just being an rear end in a top hat. It's not really any less funny if they are told what happened and the guys get unbanned. Unless, of course, you're getting satisfaction solely because you realize that the people banned were real, you believe that doing this will cause them to suffer in some way, and you enjoy that. At that point, I feel pretty safe criticizing you.

Upon reading your post, I felt that perhaps you were skirting around the issue, and people might not fully understand what you were trying to say.

Thus, I present a revised version of your post:

Qqq qqqq qqqq qq qqqqqq qqqqqq qqqqqqq qq qqq qq qqqqqq qqqq qqq? Qqqq qqqqqqq q qqqqq qq qqqqqq qqq qqqq qqqqqqqqqqq qqqq qq qqq qqqqq'q qqqqqq qqqqqqqq.

I qqq'q qqqqq qqqq qqqqqqq qqq qqqqqqqq qq qqqqqqqqq, qqq qqqq qqqq qqqqqqqqqqqq qqqqq qq qq qq qqqqqqq qq qqqqqqqq qqq qqq'q qqqq. Qqqq qq qqq qqqqqqq qq qqqq qqqqqq qqq qqqqqqqqq, qqq qqqq qqqqqqqqqqq qqqqqqqqqqqqqq qqq qqq qqqqq qqqqqqq. Qq qqq qqqq qqqq qqqqqqqqq qqqqqqqqqqqq (QQQ qqqqq), qq'q qqqqqqqqq qqqqqqq qq-qqqq qqqqqqqqq qqqq qqq “qqqqqqqq" qqqqq qq qqq qqqq qqqqqqqqqq. Qqqqqqq qqqq qqq qqqqqq qq qqqqqqqqqqqqq qq qqqqq qq qqqqq, qqqqqq qqq qqqqqq qq qqqq qqqqq qq qqqqqqq. Qq'q qqq qqqqqq qqq qqqq qqqqq qq qqqq qqq qqqq qqqq qqqqqqqq qqq qqq qqqq qqq qqqqqqqq. Qqqqqq, qq qqqqqq, qqq'qq qqqqqqq qqqqqqqqqqqq qqqqqq qqqqqqq qqq qqqqqqq qqqq qqq qqqqqq qqqqqq qqqq qqqq, qqq qqqqqqq qqqq qqqqq qqqq qqqq qqqqq qqqq qq qqqqqq qq qqqq qqq, qqqq qqq qqqqq qqqq. Qq qqqq qqqqq, Q qqqq qqqqqq qqqq qqqqqqqqqqq qqq.

• Locked thread