Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Xeno posted:

Qqq qqqq qqqq qq qqqqqq qqqqqq qqqqqqq qq qqq qq qqqqqq qqqq qqq? Qqqq qqqqqqq q qqqqq qq qqqqqq qqq qqqq qqqqqqqqqqq qqqq qq qqq qqqqq'q qqqqqq qqqqqqqq.
This reminds me of how midway through Diablo 2's lifetime you could type a long string of periods and spaces to drop all the Koreans from your game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Xeno, now that is a forum grief. Great commitment.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Pound_Coin posted:

I love SS13 so much.

The only way you could make this better would be to o2 mask and handcuff them, weld them into locker and the fire it into space.

Lockers are great.

On a pubbie there were maybe 10 people in a game. I was the traitor one round so I filled lockers with small remote detonate bombs and waited for people to walk by. I would knock them out, steal their radio, stuff them in and then weld them closed. Once I had filled the lockers and killed anyone else I couldn't fit in a locker, I dragged them all to medbay and spaced the lockers out. During this time they could all see what was going on and talk, so they were asking what I was planning on doing. Then I started asking the person in each locker to guess a number between 1-10 and if they won I would let them go. First guy gets it wrong, boom. I hit the wrong code frequency once in a while so I would kill the wrong person, giving the current lockeree a double jeopardy chance.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Shumagorath posted:

This reminds me of how midway through Diablo 2's lifetime you could type a long string of periods and spaces to drop all the Koreans from your game.

In Phantasy Star Online, if you filled a whole message with i's, you would instantly lock up every single persons console that happened to see your chat bubble... including your own.

gman5959
May 17, 2008

I think she's a honey. Look at those jugs.

slovach posted:

In Phantasy Star Online, if you filled a whole message with i's, you would instantly lock up every single persons console that happened to see your chat bubble... including your own.

That is incredible. What a game flaw.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
Anyone up for some griefing in CS:S this weekend?

Hit me up on AIM, Serious Michael.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Sonny_Crockett posted:

Players could create any kind of nonfunctional item out of a basic 'cloth' object, you'd customize the details of the object for when other people looked at it, or set emotes that could be triggered by it, but no actual code was allowed. So you couldn't create a working gun, but you could create one that when you pulled the trigger, everyone in the room would see a flag come out and go 'bang', etc. One of the roleplayers had created a baby for herself, built out of the generic cloth object. She was getting married to her in-game 'baby daddy'. The wedding was crashed by a PK street gang, and they slaughtered the wedding party. The good bit is; they stole the bride's baby and put it in a vending machine on the main drag, priced at something approaching the sum total of all the money in the economy. So every time the RPer's logged in, they pretty much had to walk past their own child staring out at them from a vending machine.

Thank you for this. That is creative griefing.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Go check out that DOTA thread before it gets gassed. Believe it or not, what's going on in there is actually far, far less pathetic than any actual serious discussion about DOTA could be. DOTA's community is easily one of the worst on anything online - ridiculously high-strung, taking the game with deadly seriousness, and best of all degenerating into a massive bitch fit if anything fucks up or goes wrong.
What part of one player being poorly skilled can gently caress the whole team over in every single way sounded like good game design to the creators I will never understand. Howver, as you've already guessed this makes for some great grief on there.

I read a story once on here (I forget if it was a past griefing thread or a past DOTA thread) somewhere about a guy that made a WC3 account called "I RUN INTO TREES", and then spent entire DOTA games throwing himself at the other team's AI turrets (which were big tree men that threw rocks and hit pretty hard). When you die in DOTA, the other team gets a bit of money to spend on upgrades and such - the result being if you die too often, you "feed" the other team and they end up way more powerful and it becomes nigh impossible to win.
Combine this with aforementioned high-strungness and you end up with all sorts of rabid barrages of profanity and insults from your own team.

Sluggz
Jun 15, 2002

The only way to grief in a FPS...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUtqKoMjcLo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6DWLq2RfOc

Most of the good aimbot hacks cost money, mostly to maintain a level of undetection. public ones get detected very quickly. Everyone accuses everyone else of hacking anyway, so why not. Most of them have variable settings, from barely noticeable, to wiping out the other team in seconds with headshots.

Well worth the price of admission.

Zazamoot
Apr 2, 2005
http://www.lively.com/html/landing.html

Google's (evidently shallower) answer to second life. Ground floor?

edit: beaten, runs terribly

Zazamoot fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 10, 2008

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Sluggz posted:

Most of the good aimbot hacks cost money, mostly to maintain a level of undetection. public ones get detected very quickly. Everyone accuses everyone else of hacking anyway, so why not. Most of them have variable settings, from barely noticeable, to wiping out the other team in seconds with headshots.

That's not griefing, that's hardly the "only way to grief in a FPS" and you suck.

E2M6
Jul 17, 2007

by Peatpot
look
at
this
scrub

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Jetsetlemming posted:

That's not griefing, that's hardly the "only way to grief in a FPS" and you suck.

Yeah, I agree with this guy.

Aimbots are not griefing, and they are far from creative or entertaining. You're an rear end.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zazamoot posted:

http://www.lively.com/html/landing.html

Google's (evidently shallower) answer to second life. Ground floor?

Welcome to last page.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
Zazamoot contacted me about this, anyone wanna pull a Die Hard 2?

It's in CS:S where you stage a firefight, and miss, to keep it going as long as possible. I call it a Die Hard 2 'cause of the scene where the terrorists and soldiers (actually working for terrorists) stage a firefight using blanks to fool the good guys.

Anyone in?

Zazamoot
Apr 2, 2005

rss feeder posted:

Zazamoot contacted me about this, anyone wanna pull a Die Hard 2?

It's in CS:S where you stage a firefight, and miss, to keep it going as long as possible. I call it a Die Hard 2 'cause of the scene where the terrorists and soldiers (actually working for terrorists) stage a firefight using blanks to fool the good guys.

Anyone in?

This is a lot of fun if you can arrange things so that the only players left alive are in on it. Fire to the sides and over each other's heads while dodging frantically and scooping up new weapons to keep the shoot-out going until the timer runs out. Chase one another in circles around obstacles, only to simultaneously change direction repeatedly. Hide on either side of a box, each alternately peeking over and ducking. Bonus points if at some point you and your opponent make a pass and switch weapons.

After the round, act phenomenally impressed with the skill of the other player and astonished that things took so long. Then do it all over again.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
This whole building teleporters under snipers thing is hard. I need to coordinate with some friends to build enough so that they can't walk around them, or an opposing team that doesn't shoot at the teleporters.

Griz
May 21, 2001

mutata posted:

Yeah, I agree with this guy.

Aimbots are not griefing, and they are far from creative or entertaining. You're an rear end.

aimbot's only funny when you combine it with other things, like getting a couple guys to buy machineguns, change names to SENTRYGUN, and crouch in spots with good fields of fire.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
There's a free three week trial of Eve Online on Steam now. What's good for pissing people off? (I've never played it before, and I'm actually still downloading it; 3GB will take a while.)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

m2pt5 posted:

There's a free three week trial of Eve Online on Steam now. What's good for pissing people off?
Make banner ads for your guild.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

m2pt5 posted:

There's a free three week trial of Eve Online on Steam now. What's good for pissing people off? (I've never played it before, and I'm actually still downloading it; 3GB will take a while.)

Bumping freighters with your frigate so they keep bouncing out of alignment and can't jump anywhere can be funny. The only way to grief in EVE was PvP though. Well, not the ONLY way, but the best way.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Bumping freighters with your frigate so they keep bouncing out of alignment and can't jump anywhere can be funny. The only way to grief in EVE was PvP though. Well, not the ONLY way, but the best way.
I liked the stuff posted of getting big powerful ships to open fire on your little starter ship, getting them destroyed by NPC security, and looting what was left after they blew up. Are there still ways to do things like that?

Kungfoomasta
Apr 26, 2007

No user servicable parts inside.
Requesting Team Flare invite:

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/kungfoomasta

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Jetsetlemming posted:

I liked the stuff posted of getting big powerful ships to open fire on your little starter ship, getting them destroyed by NPC security, and looting what was left after they blew up. Are there still ways to do things like that?

You can try to provoke them, lock on, etc, but if you jam or take any aggressive measures beyond 'being an annoying poo poo' you'll get destroyed by NPC security too. Something might have changed though, I haven't played in over a year.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Sluggz posted:

You are the biggest tool alive.

PeenCommander
Jun 24, 2008

Sluggz posted:

how much did you pay to be an assclown

E2M6
Jul 17, 2007

by Peatpot

Griz posted:

aimbot's only funny when you combine it with other things, like getting a couple guys to buy machineguns, change names to SENTRYGUN, and crouch in spots with good fields of fire.
I remember hearing about some quake aimbot that would actually change your name to ##AIMBOT## or something like that. Was this real, or did I have a dream about it or something

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

PeenCommander posted:

how much did you pay to be an assclown

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

You are the biggest tool alive.

You're in the wrong thread.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Feathers posted:

I remember hearing about some quake aimbot that would actually change your name to ##AIMBOT## or something like that. Was this real, or did I have a dream about it or something

not sure about that, but I know there was one that would reply to a certain string typed in public chat.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

F201 posted:

Uh, no. They're not. But thanks for your input!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I have to say, that teleporter near the snipers grief is just plain fun. I just set up a sentry in the intel room and watch them come down. I usually try to make them stay because it's lonely down there :(

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

F201 posted:

Aimbots are not creative or funny, and it's not really griefing as much as blatant cheating. Like the Flare thing, it might be funny to the particular guy doing it at the time, but its not funny or interesting to watch or read about.

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this
Not many servers have this, its mainly a cs:s thing as I haven't seen it in tf2. But if you can find a friendly fire server that has the freezebomb you can have a lot of fun. The best thing you can do is find a gungame server with ff, most maps are incredibly small, but freezebombs have a radius that covers the whole map. If you can manage to either get a freezebomb on you and hide for 10 seconds, or get lucky and have someone tk you that can stay alive for 10 seconds you can freeze every player on the map at once. If they aren't too smart about using the kill command most will choose to wait instead of leaving.

I'm sure a lot of servers with this mod have the bombs limited to the person that was picked though.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
I used to do the Super Smash Bros. DK grab and suicide all the time to the point where my friends wont play with me any more. It's ok, I hate those fuckers anyway, they would ledge camp and always play the same guy to the point where the game wasn't fun anyway

I know that I have participated in more creative griefing than this, but for some reason I'm drawing a blank. A total blank!

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Zazamoot posted:

This is a lot of fun if you can arrange things so that the only players left alive are in on it. Fire to the sides and over each other's heads while dodging frantically and scooping up new weapons to keep the shoot-out going until the timer runs out. Chase one another in circles around obstacles, only to simultaneously change direction repeatedly. Hide on either side of a box, each alternately peeking over and ducking. Bonus points if at some point you and your opponent make a pass and switch weapons.

After the round, act phenomenally impressed with the skill of the other player and astonished that things took so long. Then do it all over again.
This would definitely be amazing to see pulled off. Even better if it's on de_vertigo.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

T-C47 posted:

Aimbots are not creative or funny, and it's not really griefing as much as blatant cheating. Like the Flare thing, it might be funny to the particular guy doing it at the time, but its not funny or interesting to watch or read about.

Exactly. You can post pictures of "pubbie tears" and talk about how they cried far into the night, but the lame and boring cheats and exploits you used are just that; lame and boring. Aimbots just happen to be the lamest and most boring of them all. Paying for someone to essentially grief for you is pushing things straight into toolbox territory.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Why the hell would you pay exclusively to grief people? I mean buying the game is one thing but you can have fun with it besides griefing (and hopefully you do or you didn't spend very well, did you?), but this just strikes me as... well, odd.

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?
I always wondered if the people that aimbot thought they were really badass or what, now I know

I love the idea of making a video showing off your awesome aimbot skills

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Cursed Seeker posted:

Whoever was claiming to have put 20 machine guns on a mech in MW3 was lying.

The game maxes out at 11 weapons (may be 10 or 12, within that range definitely).

The ultimate griefmech in that was an Atlas or Annihilator/Daishi loaded with LRM20s. Each missile had to be rendered (btw the sound isn't multiplied either) and had fog/lighting effects, which could super-chug/crash a computer at the time.

Are there any MMOs that actually LOOK decent that're free?

You can do it in Mechwarrior 2, though. If you cram 12 machine guns on a mech, it'll melt just about anything in about 3 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Exactly. You can post pictures of "pubbie tears" and talk about how they cried far into the night, but the lame and boring cheats and exploits you used are just that; lame and boring. Aimbots just happen to be the lamest and most boring of them all. Paying for someone to essentially grief for you is pushing things straight into toolbox territory.

Who cares how lame and boring it is? If you're griefing, the goal is to piss people off. Cheats work a peach - in fact, so well that you're seeing it extend into this very thread!

Besides that, cheating can be a great tool in assisting actual, creative griefing. For example, a while ago when I was playing CS 1.6, a guy with an aimbot and speed hack teamkilled me and the rest of the team by stabbing us in the face within the first half a second of the round, and then zoomed around the map at a ridiculous speed, untouchable, until the 5 minute timer ran out. That's pretty hilarious.

• Locked thread