Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Hmm, do they purge inactive accounts? I might join for some spidery antics at some point and I have lots of neat toys to share. Guns, terrorist bomb vests, nukes, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Registered as Exertarna Szczepanski

Hopefully that will deter annoying PM's.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok if you're stuck on orientation island hit search and look for Club W.H.A.T or open your map and in the search on that just type in what and teleport to the first thing that comes up

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
I tried my turn at cage dancing:

And then Changed into a human briefly, to entice some fool into sex, then took on my true form mid-copulation to his extreme disgust. This was supposedly doggy style, but it turned out more like face-loving.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
You know, between the Spider Swarm, [TEAM FLARE], and all the UO/EVE parties, I think it would be awesome to have some sort of "Ultimate Griefing" contest here in games where goons go and record the suffering of pubbies for the rollicking amusement of all, with the winner taking home some sort of prize. Hard to think of what an appropriate prize would be, though, since all the different entrants would by their nature be into different things...

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GetWellGamers posted:

You know, between the Spider Swarm, [TEAM FLARE], and all the UO/EVE parties, I think it would be awesome to have some sort of "Ultimate Griefing" contest here in games where goons go and record the suffering of pubbies for the rollicking amusement of all, with the winner taking home some sort of prize. Hard to think of what an appropriate prize would be, though, since all the different entrants would by their nature be into different things...

Only real reward you could give would be forum upgrades

E2M6
Jul 17, 2007

by Peatpot
how would you actually measure the level of griefing?

the metric system has failed you

BillyRubin
Dec 16, 2005
"Oh, and Senator, just one more thing."

I spent a good deal of time hassling this poor girl on some hippie island, along with Shamal Muhindra.

And in a place called Sweethearts, I decided to put my arms to good use as a drummer.

Eventually, Shamal joined in on bass, and it was excellent. Note the guy peeing off the edge of the balcony, on the right.

Then I realized I was enjoying the game as intended, so I raped the hostess and got banned.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Feathers posted:

how would you actually measure the level of griefing?

the metric system has failed you

Popular vote, of course- whichever makes goons laugh the most wins.

And forum upgrades seems like the obvious choice, but it seemed kind of mundane/boring. I would be the one absolute common thread between all the participants, though. v:shobon:v

PeenCommander
Jun 24, 2008

The spiders hooked me in, truly brilliant in as PeenCommander Vlodovic

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

I Said No posted:

I couldn't work out how the gently caress to get screenshots during our arachnid expedition (I believe Linden Labs used to have the nerve to charge you to take screenshots or something)
The easiest way I've found is just to use FRAPS and bind it to PrntScrn, and not do video with it. Other than that, you can hit Ctrl + tilde and a little menu pops up where you can 'save to file' or something like that, and then a file dialog pops up. So it's like 3 steps using the SL screenshot, or 1 button using FRAPS. FRAPS is free and very hands-off so I just use FRAPS!

Surprising how well the spider thing has taken off. I'll probably pop in every once in a while to distribute spider avatars to those who want them and see if I can't invite people to Arachnids group

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Girdox posted:

Only real reward you could give would be forum upgrades

That, or bottles of Jones Soda marked 'Pubbie Tears'.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Mathemagician posted:

see if I can't invite people to Arachnids group

You should allow more people to invite to the group, and you should also add a member title.

GenericEric
Dec 1, 2005

A rare goon appeared!
:siren:IMPORTANT:siren:
If you are stuck on orientation island
Type in the word "public" in your inventory search, and double click on either one of the displayed landmarks, then go to map and teleport to "what".

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Ok, I've made my way w-hat island as MrPibbleton Vlodovic, I'm still learning to play the game but it sure looks like exploring is fun.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We have about 3x the normal amount of people, I don't think w-hat has had this much people for about a year

Agent Bob
Jun 15, 2007
For some reason, Second Life lags for me. It doesn't seem like that complicated of a program to run...

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Okay, I signed up and amgoing to try to make my way over to w-hat. I'm Clint Galica

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Agent Bob posted:

For some reason, Second Life lags for me. It doesn't seem like that complicated of a program to run...

It's not you. SL seems to be really badly made, plus the fact it's an MMO which are generally always lag parades to begin with, plus having to keep track of a gently caress ton of custom assets and poo poo, which results in a giant lag-fest.
Even when you don't take online into consideration, SL is one of the few things that makes my computer BSOD or cold restart on its own often - i've been able to run deliberatley intense and crazy things to try and stress test my computer before and it shrugged them right off. I'm only an amateur by programming standards, but something about SL just reeks of terrible optimisation.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I Said No posted:

It's not you. SL seems to be really badly made, plus the fact it's an MMO which are generally always lag parades to begin with, plus having to keep track of a gently caress ton of custom assets and poo poo, which results in a giant lag-fest.
Even when you don't take online into consideration, SL is one of the few things that makes my computer BSOD or cold restart on its own often - i've been able to run deliberatley intense and crazy things to try and stress test my computer before and it shrugged them right off. I'm only an amateur by programming standards, but something about SL just reeks of terrible optimisation.

From what I've heard, it's a terribly programmed game, and they can't completely overhaul it because a bunch of people's poo poo would end up broken and they'd throw a fit.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

I tried to take off the tarantula costume and now I'm a fat black chick for some reason

I can't take off "taran skin" or "taran shape" what the hell do I do

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
SL is poorly coded to begin with. Add on top of that absolute tons of player-generated content that's poorly optimized by polygon count, texture size, and internal scripting, then stir.

And yeah, everything that the players create, they own. By LL's own contracts, they'd be in for massive lawsuits if they rebooted everything and restarted from scratch. This is why player-owned content is such a stupendously bad idea for MMOs.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
A lot of people seem to be looking for the spider AV. Go here:
http://slurl.com/secondlife/what/48/57/27
You'll be near an area with a little box between two gray things on the ground. Click the box. It looks like this:

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chunderbucket posted:

I tried to take off the tarantula costume and now I'm a fat black chick for some reason

I can't take off "taran skin" or "taran shape" what the hell do I do

Just put another skin and shape on

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Girdox posted:

Just put another skin and shape on

Awesome, thanks

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Yeah. I'm in. I've always wanted to try Secondlife out of curiousity and doing it as a spider with a few other people sounds great.

The Wensey
Jun 25, 2008

THIS IS MY ORGANIZATION NOW,...BRO!
I hope this isn't too late in the thread to post an actual story, but to hell with it.

I used to play WoW, and one day decided to quit. I was high-leveled and lots of good gear. I liquidated the lot of it and wound up with about 3,000 gold, which I distributed to my friends and guild-mates. But before I handed it out, I'd make people work for it. I'd play hide-and-seek in large capital cities, and I'd know the best, most obscure hiding places. Eventually somebody found me, and I placed 3,000 gold in the trade window. And left it there.

For a half hour.

I came back, and the guy was still there waiting. To be fair, 3,000 gold is a shitload of money in that game and the guy was like level 15. I had no intention of giving it to him, so I said.

"Very good! You've found me and passed the test of patience! but now...you must bring me a SHRUBBERY!" I was hoping he'd catch the monty python reference, feel like an idiot and leave, but it went over his head. The guy looked up "shrubbery" on thottbot.com (WoW quest/item database), and it turns out Blizzard had actually made a very high-level quest involving fetching a shrubbery as their own python joke.

The guy pesters his guildmates into getting the shrubbery for him, hands it to me, and I give him one copper. (1/1000 of a gold)

I also had some other fun that night before I quit, trying to get banned for spamming. To ignore somebody in WoW, you either typed /ignore charactername, or shift-clicked on their name in the chatlog. Thing is, many people didn't know about the shiftclick. I made a character named something like Îlílïllîí (these characters are easy to type on a mac) and spammed the then-worldwide trade channel with a macro that would make ASCII art of a penguin, every racial slur I could think of, lyrics to Backstreet boys songs, what have you. After much name calling, ignoring, and a fierce chewing-out by a different character named Illilli who threatened to murder me in a variety of gruesome ways for "stealing my name, human being!", I was temporarily banned for one hour.

For having a name that was against the rules.

I also learned my friend's password, removed everything out of his inventory including his hearthstone which allows you to teleport to your "home", and spent an hour and a half swimming him around the mountain-border of the world to an easter egg beach on the corner of the continent. The only way back was a very treacherous 1.5 hour swim where you had about 5 inches of room where you could safely swim without dying of fatigue.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

The spider squad is so amazing. I heard about SL before but I didn't understand how creative you could get with annoying people or doing goofy poo poo. In as Snoop Moonites

BillyRubin
Dec 16, 2005
"Oh, and Senator, just one more thing."
I'm not actually very good at this griefing thing. So far I've run into people cybering who didn't yell at me, people in an indie club who cheered me on, and people at a live music club that played my requests. I threw sperm and cars at all of these people.

I'm a failure.

ImmigrantSong
Apr 13, 2008
Griefing is mean you people should feel bad about what you are doing. GAMES are supposed to be fun:(/,,.

ImmigrantSong fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 13, 2008

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

I shouldn't trust the phones. They're full of gas.

ImmigrantSong posted:

Griefing is mean you people should feel bad about what you are doing. GAMES are supposed to be fun:(/,,.

I'm poking you with a stick right now and laughing my rear end off.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
OK, I haven't dipped my toe into the cesspit that is SL for over year but I've got to give this spider thing a go.

InternetHateMachine
Jul 3, 2008

ImmigrantSong posted:

Griefing is pretty fun :)

Rudiger
May 2, 2007

by Fistgrrl

BillyRubin posted:

I'm not actually very good at this griefing thing. So far I've run into people cybering who didn't yell at me, people in an indie club who cheered me on, and people at a live music club that played my requests. I threw sperm and cars at all of these people.

I'm a failure.

Hit me up on aim, I seem to have this down. Two disciplinary actions against me and I just started playing this Thursday night...

MrDutch
Jul 9, 2008

Yes they are shoes made of wood. Nothing weird about it, please stop taking my picture. I am NOT a tourist attraction!

dsage posted:

I'm compressing all of the videos I recorded of the spider raids. I might edit them if you guys don't mind waiting a bit longer.

Great man, can you post it to youtube when your done? Love to see the movie, i need to get fraps too, but with alot of people SL lags like hell, i have a good PC but the client is just crap, in the orgy room i almost crashed twice.

Anyway spider infestation was fun, sucks that ill be away for a week though :-(

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
There have been a few good Eve stories, so I'll add a couple to the mix.

I started playing way back at release, and for the most part, followed the rules. I started with minor things, like stealing ore from miners. Back then, there was zero protection for ore, you could just roll up and take it. If they shot at you, they would get annihilated by the NPC po-po. This in itself proved amusing. You could bait people into pre-emptive attacks just by releasing your drones.

Then I joined a pirate corp with my main. There were a couple of other pirate groups kicking it about at the time, one of whom were awesome griefers. Rather than go up against them, we took it in another direction. We would camp one of the main routes into 0.0 space, and rather than destroy people the second they arrived, we kitted out for EW. We would slow their ship to the speed of a moped (literally), stop them from warping out and shut down their targetting. Then we'd decide how to deal with them.

Some of the things I remember doing:
- Got someone to sing for their ship on teampseak (someone else mentioned doing this earlier)
- Got someone to call their corp members to 'come see the treasure' at which point we would kill them as they arrived
- Got someone to post on the official forums saying how awesome one of our members was
- Alt-tabbed and did something else until they logged out
- Told someone that if you eject from your battleship and someone steals it that you get insurance. (you don't).

People soon started taking more precautions, like entering the system from the other side and hiding at a moon. so to step up our game, I'd run up my ore-stealing alt, and park him in the 0.0 system, and argue with my main. I'd then get the alt to convince the target that the 'rear end in a top hat pirates' were all chasing/griefing me, and that the exit gate was clear. It wasn't.

Likewise with the gate we were sitting on. I'd jump my alt out to the safe side of the gate, and wait there. When people came to the gate, I'd tell them to wait, because there was a bunch of rear end in a top hat pirates on the other side. Then I'd jump through to 'check', and jump back and one by one, tell the other pilots that it was safe. It wasn't.

Eventually people found a way to blast through our gatecamps with well-placed bookmarks, so most of that fun evaporated.

We moved into 'safe' space. Unless I'm horribly mistaken, our group was the first to try camping under the sentry guns with a well-built tank. Man, people were pissed that night. It went on for a couple of weeks before people started avoiding/retaliating.

Once that became popular, a couple of the guys moved on to scams. The basic idea is to make an offer that they can't refuse for some item they have (usually a blueprint or rare module), and tell them to go to a 'safe' 0.4 station to make a trade. When they warped to the station, the guys would annihilate the target, and steal whatever it was from his loot. Rinse and repeat.

Over time a lot of our guys peeled off to play other games, and our numbers were dwindling, so I handed the corp over to a friend, and went our seperate ways. I started doing eve-radio, so my griefing time was kept to a minimum.

Some time later one of my old pirate buddies asked if I had Fraps running, which I did. He asked me to come down to Yulai. Yulai was the very centre of the universe, and a lag trap at peak times. If you want to cut straight across the middle of safe space, Yulai was going to be on the list. It was also the highest security level available, so any show of aggreesion will get you insta-popped by the police.

They took my sentry-tanking idea to the next level. They had 5 amarr battleships. 4 were set up for energy/shield transfers and high cap regen, no weapons, the fifth was just loaded up with smartbombs, and shield/cap extenders. they set up at the busiest gate in the system, and waited for me. Once there, I got out to safe range, and let them get started.

the four support ships started beaming shields and energy into the bombship, and once a few people stopped and started asking what they were doing, he triggered all his bombs, and for all I know went for a cup of coffee. There followed a good 20-30 minutes of pure destruction. people jumping into the system landed right in the damage radius, people warping to the gate, too. People on autopilot woke up in space stations without ships. The NPC security tried to take him down but got repeatedly raped. Eventually a couple of GM's came in and told them to quit it, at which point they refused. By this time, people were coming to see what the trouble was (partly because my alt told everyone in local that they should). ANd it just got worse.

The group (Zombies) got tempbanned for a day or two, and the GM's had to replace the ships/items of well over a hundred people. I made a video of the events, and much fun was had by all.

I just found the video on youtube, which is nice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnjK5EVsIfI This is just the highlights though.

Everytime you see the text panel appear above the ship, that is a hit. Also, because of the rate of fire of the smartbombs, everyone got podded too. Good Times.

That's when the devs started flagging support ships as hostile.

If I remember some others, I'll post them up.

Man, this was a long post.

One more then. This was unintentional. I was transporting my goods from an old safe base to a new one, using the largest lockable containers I could get.. One one run, I didn't realise I'd packed some contraband, and I got destroyed by a gate sentry gun. I went back to grab all my poo poo, and managed to get about half of it when the guy stealing my poo poo from the other cans got blasted. I went and picked up his poo poo too, except for the contraband he stole from my can. I waited, and before long some other vulture came along and grabbed it too. And another. Eventually the contraband didn't make it to the loot table, so that ended. While that was funny enough, a guy warped to the gate and vanished. Due to mass/physics, if you warp into an object heavier than yourself, it will repel you. If you warp too close, the maths goes crazy and repels you at the speed of light in the other direction. In most ships, it's a hell of a timewaster.

It turns out this happened to a lot of people. I had so many emails the next day from people telling me to 'move my loving cans', that I decided to leave them there. I'm guessing they were petitioned away eventually, but it took over a week.

frankenbeans fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 13, 2008

camgirl fangirl
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE
Just started on SL as Shaqueem Bellic, the black businessman. Add me.

blkmg5
Aug 8, 2007
need a medic
Trying out SL again after a long hiatus--I'm on as Yohan Lancaster.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Hello Sailor posted:

This is great. You folks should do a write-up once it's all done and submit it as a Safari article.

Yeah that spider stuff is good poo poo.

If you all put togther some sort of storyline (spiders hatching from eggs, etc) and then send the pictures to me I'll post a Safari article (with attribution of course).

Just IM or email me.

I would have been in last night but it looks like the place I'm staying blocks Second Life or at least doesn't offer the bandwidth required to access it. I couldn't get in :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

MrDutch posted:

Great man, can you post it to youtube when your done? Love to see the movie, i need to get fraps too, but with alot of people SL lags like hell, i have a good PC but the client is just crap, in the orgy room i almost crashed twice.

Anyway spider infestation was fun, sucks that ill be away for a week though :-(

I was Rodimus Parx. Everything is compressed. I've got about 6 videos that I am in the middle of trimming down and segmenting. I also have several videos from [Team Flare]'s shenanigans along with a few of my own. Windows movie maker is :smith:.

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 13, 2008

• Locked thread