Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Bieeardo posted:

Pretty sure they ban by MAC address, too. Not that it's impossible to get a new IP, or to mask your MAC.

Excuse my potential ignorance, but how would they know your MAC address? Surely that's not forwarded beyond your router?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

PCWorld Award - SMAC MAC Address Spoofer / Changer for Windows

http://www.klcconsulting.net/smac/

afaak
Mar 17, 2005

At once as far as Angels kenn he views /
The dismal Situation waste and wilde, /
A Dungeon horrible, on all sides round

Anjow posted:

Excuse my potential ignorance, but how would they know your MAC address? Surely that's not forwarded beyond your router?

The client fetches the MAC address locally and sends it along during the Second Life login process. This information is used to make bans a little more difficult (but not by much, see the previous post) to evade and also to help keep track of which users have multiple accounts.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
All the SL stuff tempts me to take my old account back online again. Gave it a try about a year ago and couldn't really get into it then, but spiders sound like fun. Account name's Smoke Recreant.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whats with everyone and spiders? SL is appealing because there's almost no limit on what you can do to greif

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
You can use the Shooped Life client to get around the MAC bans and whatnot.

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/User:N3X15#ShoopedLife

crazysim fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jul 14, 2008

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Pope Guilty posted:

ignore this.

No. :colbert:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Ludicro posted:

After a hard day's invading, nothing beats relaxing at the local titty bar
:nws:https://wi.somethingawful.com/ab/ab19f0b121572f2bc8ca9863dc55b4cd1f04aa23.jpg

This is beautiful.

Im glad someone else saw that. I figured everyone had lagged out by that point. Now I just need to figure out how to make my metal spider bigger.
Im Somebody Quan, by the way.

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE
I wish I'd got in on this sooner so I had chance to figure out what the hell I'm doing. I'm pretty much just following you guys putting on whatever skin you give me, and apparently I'm not even doing that right considering I'm shirtless in some of those screenshots.

Reynaldo Banufong here. :)

Keep up the stories, I love this thread.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
How the hell do I get the spider pack working?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

EvilMuppet posted:

How the hell do I get the spider pack working?

If you've got it in your inventory just drag it on your character, should take just a few seconds to load it.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
I haven't done much griefing, but one thing I have seen is in a game called Granado Espada.

It's your typical korean MMO (wasn't there an article on it sometime about how much the american version sucks?) and I play on the singaporean server, which means the game is in english but the users add la, li, lu, le, lo, liao, etc to the end of half the things they say.

So there's this one zone called Tierra de Los Muertos, to get inside you have to either buy an item from the cash shop that lets you in, or you have to PK someone so that you're a Baron (It's like a PK Flag, you turn red to everyone and if you're killed you drop items)
There's an entrance fee of 1 "Mystery Powder", which is another cash shop item. So more often than not, I'd go to this place and see people sitting at the spawn point, camping anyone they could kill (the entire zone is pk enabled anyway) and looting whatever dropped, and I'd hear a ton of people saying things like "Y U PK ME LA". Should they have found someone they couldn't kill immediately, or if a group of people come in at the same time, the user would just teleport away/use an invisible potion and get away to camp later. Not to mention just randomly killing people they saw around. A real pain, but hilarious too.

tldr: People spent real money to go to a certain map in this game, and they'd be spawn camped there, wasting their money and sometimes losing their items to have come in.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 14, 2008

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

This is me:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/wow/terrorist-guild-holds-wow-server-hostage-155844.php

Full text of the forum post. Yes, it was my intention to sound as snotty as possible:

quote:

It's obvious that the responsibility of opening these gates lies soley on us, Imperial Order. We are not ignorant to the notion that without our champion Nimic ringing the gong, it would take a lot longer than anyone had intended for the gate to open.

How much longer remains to be seen, maybe as long as TKT or Phoenix grind carapaces? I don't know their plans, so it may be even longer than that.

So why not now? This is a common and valid question. The gates CAN be opened now, but we're not going to.

Why not? The most natural and unhelpful answer is that we choose not to. It won't happen today, it won't happen tomorrow, after maitenence, and it probably won't happen the day after that.

So when? We can't answer that, for the answer lies within all of you. We do want to see this new content, but we also have many other plans in mind. Like any guild, we like being notorious, remembered.

No one remembers the fair and quietly intelligent people they meet in their daily lives, but everyone remembers those who ruin their day.

We have plenty of time to conquer this new content, but for now we see endless novelty in holding it hostage. And this is what we will continue to do: Hold it hostage.

So now the gates truly lie in your hands. In order to open the gate, we are demanding 5,000 gold. Please send it to Aqransom, one of our banks, and we will tally up the money. Once we gain this money we will open the gates.

If you are horde, use the nuetral bank to transfer your money. We don't want to have to pay the bank cut.

We would apologize for this great injustice on the server, but I personally feel it would fall on deaf ears.

So get farming. The next step in this new content is purely up to you.

Indecline
Sep 5, 2003

eat my butt into smithereens

Cession posted:

This is me:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/wow/terrorist-guild-holds-wow-server-hostage-155844.php

Full text of the forum post. Yes, it was my intention to sound as snotty as possible:

So you're preventing a server full of scrub guilds from accessing a lovely 20 man raid instance? Alright.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Well after getting an item in SL from Bebb called "Banbox", I opened it, and started shooting people with a gun called something like happy fun yes cocks. For some reason, every time I shot someone with it, I would start lagging and have to log back in. When I logged back in I would be in some nearby location, and I would start shooting people again. I did this probably 5 times. When I teleported back to W-hat, everyone was being mean to me, and explained that the item was a sim-crasher. Thanks Bebb.

I got this email today from Linden Labs-

Your Second Life Account Has Been Terminated posted:

This email is notification that Linden Lab has terminated
your access to the Second Life virtual world due to severe
or repeated violations of the Second Life Terms of Service
or Community Standards. Your (account name 'Ham
Nootan') and alternate Second Life accounts have been
made permanently inaccessible.

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!

Oplem posted:

All of this happened rather quickly and when I did quick capture (ctrl+`) I didn't realize it didn't capture the chatbox, so I had to paste it in after the fact. Run of the mill sex sting except in Hentai High School. They left shortly after where the chat ends:

The couple having had run out of the door by the time I figured out the screenshot key. I have to get fraps. Cinosu Clowes's quote is priceless.

Click here for the full 1680x1003 image.

"I grew up in a 100% black neighborhood!"

"Cool. Did you know Deshawn?"

I laughed.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Indecline posted:

So you're preventing a server full of scrub guilds from accessing a lovely 20 man raid instance? Alright.

Don't be mad because you didn't think of it first when AQ was coming out.

It was just a joke. No one paid and I didn't expect anyone to. But it did rattle some feathers at the time.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Cession posted:

Don't be mad because you didn't think of it first when AQ was coming out.

It was just a joke. No one paid and I didn't expect anyone to. But it did rattle some feathers at the time.

I remember hearing about this. Pretty awesome idea to do that, especially since the true basement dwellers got up in arms if I remember correctly. However, you were one upped when it came to AQ openings:

IIRC, there was a guild that had a character that transferred from another server. The character had 3/4ths of the requirements to open the new content in AQ. The server he came from had already completed the Gate opening, so the quest items were wasted. Instead, he went to a server that didn't have the gates open yet and were still working on them. Now, had he just told everybody they were ready and were going to set the gong off to open the gates, it would have been fine, he would have gotten his bug mount, and everyone could have participated in the world event (especially since so few ever happen, a shame really.) However, this happened: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=2215574947&sid=1&pageNo=1

If you filter out the QQ'ing and the butthurt, you can infer that the character moved to the server, finished the quest, and started the 4 hour World Event AT 4 IN THE MORNING. Except for the rare few insomniacs and non-american players (that weren't chinese farmers), NO ONE GOT TO SEE IT. People woke up the next morning, finding out that they completely missed the opening and the huge world event that allows a shortcut of progression was completely over. Wasted time, wasted energy, and a shitton of grief. Thats how you piss off an entire server. Kudos to that guy.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
That 4 hour event was god awful on a populated server. On Malganis it went down at like 4 in the afternoon on a Sunday and when it did I don't think anyone stayed connected for more than 10 minutes.

simple
Apr 11, 2007

lwoodio posted:

Griefer gets the grief.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

lwoodio posted:

Well after getting an item in SL from Bebb called "Banbox"

One would think that the item being called "Banbox" would have clued you in.

Also, Bebb and ProfessorBebb are not the same person.

Joe Pat James Gang
Jun 23, 2006
If you only knew how BAMF Joe Pat was...OMG!!1!
you're wrong sir, Bebb and Professor bebb and all thousand other loving alts are the same guy.

Note: Deco you opened a shitstorm of unprofessionals. For I'm coming to Aussie Land to slap you.

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

Derth posted:

Basically a bunch of people i knew from the internet and a few from real life made a Counter Strike Source clan. We played on all of the major ladders in Australia at that time and we all, of course, cheated our asses off with aimbots and wallhacks whenever we could get away with it and were renowned for losing games then disputing for forfiet victories. Which is how we became infamous.

We challenged to number one side on what was then the largest ladder in Aus when we clearly had no chance of winning. The ladder worked that if you beat a team you went above them and everyone moved down one. The game was being spectated so we couldn't cheat so we decided to throw the game to waste the spectators time. We all hid as a team every round and forced the other team to play hide and seek. One particular round we all suicided at spawn, causing a member on the other team said "lol" in global chat which we appealed as an abuse of global chat and won, projecting the new kids on the block to number 1 and making our clan tag from that day forth #rQ Best in Aus.

This led to a lot of threats being thrown around and a lot of abuse being hurled at us.

We took it further by making a post 2 days after the win claiming a member of our clan had died in a car accident when out celebrating the win. The thread reached 20 pages of condolences and wishing us well (which itself was full of drama because some of the players that new us better and didnt like us called bullshit leading to them being abused for being heartless monsters) before our forums got hacked and someone leaked that it was a hoax.

After that I was getting abuse everytime i logged into steam. joining a server was out of the question because i'd just have players follow me around yelling at me and had to stop playing friendly fire servers people were that pissed off. It also lead to us all being banned from the forums.

We went quiet for a while after this because it's hard to do anything when everyone recognises your name but we waited patiently and eventually worked our way back onto the forums and people started playing games with us again so we decided we wanted to get back on top of the ladders with legitimate victories.

Obviously that was impossible for players with such little talent so we began to blatantly cheat in games. We tried to make it look legit we were raising eyebrows everytime we played. We also had admins spectate us every game but they were all hesitant to ban us due to community backlash.

Eventually we got to challenge for number one again but that we would have to play with a program called nova cap running (an anti cheat program that took screen shots at random intervals). Luckily we had a programmer in our clan who changed the program to allow us too take the screenshots whenever we wanted to, allowing us to toggle.

The saga ended when we won again, everyone thought we were going to be the next big thing and then we posted our version of novacap and a goodbye thread. Not that we needed it because we got banned from everywhere.

Petty. What a disgusting story. As a member 'Razor Automotive' and a member of that top clan you faced and cheated I am disgusted by this story. We trained every day as a team to get as good as we were, we drove around to nearly every LAN event in Australia to beat up the pubbies and get our name out there. We suffered through the pain, the sweat and the overall fear of being second best and you took it away from us.
Yes sir you may have your story, but you will never capture my heart. You destroyed the best CS clan in Australia, broke us apart from the inside and for that sir i will never forgive you. You may be infamous, but you'll never be Razor Automotive famous.
I remember the day when you claimed Xan had died, and nowhere in my life have i felt pain that great before. Waking up one morning and finding out that the man you have been cursing, that you had been wishing pain and death on had really died... and i won't lie, yes i did think that maybe i had something to do with it. That maybe i did have some kind of power of the mind, it would fit with my life up to that moment. The skill that I had in CS was so extreme that it sometimes felt that i could read the other players minds, even if only a little. It wasn't only myself who believed this, i used to show my family my CS replays and they would tell me it was like i could ENVISION what the other players were going to do. I could tell at a moments notice whether the other team was going long A, or short B. I could tell when they were going to fire at me, and where, and when they were not. It was like i controlled the flow of time and indeed it was a good time for a moment. Then your acts hurt us even more.
CEVO nearly removed their support from the competitive CS community COMPLETELY. You never stayed around to see the fall out from your acts, nearly destroying the Australia CS community COMPLETELY. The YEARS of work that us gamers put into this, every night, the pressure, the women, the other players. We had it all Rage Quit, We had it all and you tried to destroy it in your immature jealousy. As you said yourself, you could never have what we had, you could never be a Razor.
Razor Razor AU TO MOTtive, we've got the skills to make you see our glory, we rock the server like you've never even heard of LOL'ing. You want to beat us? you better keep rocking at us with your pants up. Razor Razor Automotive. Boom playa.

SolidRed fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 15, 2008

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What is this?

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

SolidRed posted:

Petty. What a disgusting story. As a member 'Razor Automotive' and a member of that top clan you faced and cheated I am disgusted by this story. We trained every day as a team to get as good as we were, we drove around to nearly every LAN event in Australia to beat up the pubbies and get our name out there. We suffered through the pain, the sweat and the overall fear of being second best and you took it away from us.
Yes sir you may have your story, but you will never capture my heart. You destroyed the best CS clan in Australia, broke us apart from the inside and for that sir i will never forgive you. You may be infamous, but you'll never be Razor Automotive famous.
I remember the day when you claimed Xan had died, and nowhere in my life have i felt pain that great before. Waking up one morning and finding out that the man you have been cursing, that you had been wishing pain and death on had really died... and i won't lie, yes i did think that maybe i had something to do with it. That maybe i did have some kind of power of the mind, it would fit with my life up to that moment. The skill that I had in CS was so extreme that it sometimes felt that i could read the other players minds, even if only a little. It wasn't only myself who believed this, i used to show my family my CS replays and they would tell me it was like i could ENVISION what the other players were going to do. I could tell at a moments notice whether the other team was going long A, or short B. I could tell when they were going to fire at me, and where, and when they were not. It was like i controlled the flow of time and indeed it was a good time for a moment. Then your acts hurt us even more.
CEVO nearly removed their support from the competitive CS community COMPLETELY. You never stayed around to see the fall out from your acts, nearly destroying the Australia CS community COMPLETELY. The YEARS of work that us gamers put into this, every night, the pressure, the women, the other players. We had it all Rage Quit, We had it all and you tried to destroy it in your immature jealousy. As you said yourself, you could never have what we had, you could never be a Razor.
Razor Razor AU TO MOTtive, we've got the skills to make you see our glory, we rock the server like you've never even heard of LOL'ing. You want to beat us? you better keep rocking at us with your pants up. Razor Razor Automotive. Boom playa.

Boom playa.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Ham-handed hilarity, that's what it is.

WendyO
Dec 2, 2007
The griefer's version of an Oscar.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

SolidRed posted:

THE WOMEN, MAN

THE WOMEN

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

SolidRed posted:

Boom playa.

This is like the grief that keeps on griefing.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
In as Inverse Quandry. Wandering around the dump that is what.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Inverse Icarus posted:

In as Inverse Quandry. Wandering around the dump that is what.

its not a dump, the recycling machine is broken right now, thats all.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

SolidRed posted:

Yeah, you TOTALLY didnt deserve it.....

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

SolidRed posted:

:words:
I used to get annoyed at the 'stop getting mad at videogames crowd', I thought it was an underused art-form, a medium for expression and artist-viewer communication like no other. A thing of beauty, and hence a rarity in this dark age.

You changed this. Seriously son

Stop getting mad about videogames.

anagramarye
Jan 2, 2008

Array Age Man

Derth posted:

griefing

SolidRed posted:

pubbie tears

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

SolidRed posted:

I remember the day when you claimed Xan had died, and nowhere in my life have i felt pain that great before.

There's no pain like internet pain.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

SolidRed posted:

The YEARS of work that us gamers put into this, every night, the pressure, the women, the other players. We had it all Rage Quit, We had it all and you tried to destroy it in your immature jealousy. As you said yourself, you could never have what we had, you could never be a Razor.

serious loving business

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

SolidRed posted:

I'll have you know I take my computer games quite seriously. Boom playa.

Goddamn. How can people take computer games so seriously? How? Some of my friends are in a CoD Clan (before that it was CS, so maybe they know about this whole thing) and they talk just like this. "Nah, man, I'm busy - got a scrim tonight. Hahaha, oh man, did you hear about (this guy)?" And they say that almost every week, no matter when I ask.

How is this possible? It's a game. That is all. God, I can't believe people actually 'train' for this stuff.

How the hell have I become so different from my friends?

Murder Sandwich
Feb 9, 2008
What kind of sick man would send babies to fight ME!?
This is the best grief. I think I love you Derth

SolidRed posted:

The YEARS of work that us gamers put into this, every night, the pressure, the women , the other players

Hot CSS bitches. Boom playa .

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
To those that said it wasn't a good grief, you were just proven horribly wrong. And that was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derth
Dec 6, 2005

SA is remarkably similar to middle-earth.
Rest in peace Xan.

• Locked thread