Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Long live the 1996 Base!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

ethanol posted:

I just got offered a fully restored 1979 rx-7 that's probably in the best shape of any rx-7 I've ever seen from a friend in a Mercedes dealer. It's pretty much as if it just warped into 2008 from 1979. Anyways, I don't know anything about mazdas and from what I can tell, it looks a little slow.. what do you guys think?

I've owned one, they are fun old cars, I guess my question is do you really want one? They are reliable but get quite terrible gas mileage, you'll be looking at 15ish mixed I imagine. I owned one that had 280k miles on the chassis, and it made it 220k on the first engine. Overall, it was still in very good condition.

The aftermarket is great for the cars, and replacement parts can be found cheaply through junkyards and rx7 forums.

I think they are fun cars to drive, they handle well for what they are, and the rotary engine is like nothing else.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

n8r posted:

I've owned one, they are fun old cars, I guess my question is do you really want one? They are reliable but get quite terrible gas mileage, you'll be looking at 15ish mixed I imagine. I owned one that had 280k miles on the chassis, and it made it 220k on the first engine. Overall, it was still in very good condition.

The aftermarket is great for the cars, and replacement parts can be found cheaply through junkyards and rx7 forums.

I think they are fun cars to drive, they handle well for what they are, and the rotary engine is like nothing else.

I could really care less about gas mileage. I'll probably regret that later, but I really just don't care. I'm not commuting anywhere. My only concern is that I won't have a garage.

How well does it drive with that little engine?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Apr 23, 2005
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX posted:

Miata wheels on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270250430598

If you have any questions feel free to email me at kevintc@hotmail.com

I am also selling a sweet car cover, if anyone is interested. (if it is wrong to post these ebay links in here just let me know and I'll remove both of them)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270252244272

rowebot44
Feb 21, 2006
I am checking on interest on some used tires. I am very unhappy with the tires I bought for my '05 and would like to unload them for around $250. they are 205/45r16 Dunlop Direzza DZ101 with 1,000 miles on them. If you are in the SoCal area email at carboy44 at gmail dot com.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Would anyone want to trade a modified Miata (that doesn't start) for a stock one in Orlando?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Anyone got any ideas as to what I should do with my old stock cat back? It let go completely and broke in front of the first resonator (it slipped out) and is starting to let go after the first resonator. If someone wanted to weld it up on both ends it would be fine.

I replaced it with a new stock unit from MazdaSpeed for $140. But what do I do with the old piece?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
The time has come for me to buy new wheels for my miata since the 13 inchers aren't cutting it anymore. I want to move up to a size that will put me at a more comfortable cruising RPM on the highway (come on, 4000 RPM for 65 is NOT fun).
Should I go up to 16's?
What are some reputable Miata wheels?

I have no idea what to look for. Please guide me

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
get used to cruising at 4000rpm.

wheel size that influences cruise is also going to influence speedometer cable

and larger wheels weigh more, which results in more rotational mass, which cuts down on.. alot of fun things. Hell, when I polished some 17's I was given and showed them off in a thread awhile ago, I was shat upon quite heavily.

Aside from the engine noise, you're not going to gain anything by gearing/wheel size/rear end swap economy-wise. Mileage is a function of load, not RPM, especially while cruising.

That said - I have Kosei K1's in 15 on my 96. Lightweight, fairly cheap, looks good.

I can't stress enough to look at weight when looking at wheels. Also - I like the Exclaim UHP's for rubber, though I think there was a critique earlier about the compound changes over time and they get decidedly less-sticky. I don't think I've hit that point yet.

iscariot fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 8, 2008

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

ultimateforce posted:

Would anyone want to trade a modified Miata (that doesn't start) for a stock one in Orlando?

Where are you retards crawling out of lately?

Also, Terrorist, as iscariot says, just get the lightest wheels you can find good tires for. I personally have 15" Enkei RPF-1s with Toyo T1Rs on them.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

terrorist posted:

The time has come for me to buy new wheels for my miata since the 13 inchers aren't cutting it anymore. I want to move up to a size that will put me at a more comfortable cruising RPM on the highway (come on, 4000 RPM for 65 is NOT fun).
Should I go up to 16's?
What are some reputable Miata wheels?

I have no idea what to look for. Please guide me

Changing wheel size won't change your cruising RPM since you'll have to run lower profile tires. I suppose you could probably fit something a little bigger than stock without rubbing if your car isn't lowered, but it'll gently caress up your speedometer and odometer reading, be heavier, and not even make any real cruising RPM difference.

And 4000RPM is 80mph in my car, pretty much on the dot. Even if yours is a 1.6L, there's no way that your car is cruising at 4000RPM at 65mph unless you have a gearbox or differential with non-factory gearing or a hilariously undersized wheel+tire combination.

Use this to calculate what size tires you need on different sized wheels: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

mobn posted:

Where are you retards crawling out of lately?

I don't have a garage right now. :(

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Enkei RPF1s get a lot of mnet fanboys :flashfap:in' over them, but you can get much better for much less. Check out 949Racing's 6ULs. I'm sure Savington will vouch for their quality and style.

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

Phone posted:

The Enkei RPF1s get a lot of mnet fanboys :flashfap:in' over them, but you can get much better for much less. Check out 949Racing's 6ULs. I'm sure Savington will vouch for their quality and style.

I have the RPF-01s in 16" and bought them over the 6UL's ONLY because when I wanted to order my wheels, I wanted them right loving now; not in July, August or whenever Emilio decided to make another batch. Also, they look sexy as hell on my car.

Aside from that, I have a problem. I noticed the other night steam coming from under my hood after I parked. I let it cool and drove to get some coolant the next day(I should have put water in it for the drive over). The temp gauge just about pegged by the time I got home. It turns out the coolant is leaking from the top of the radiator where the end tank seals with the radiator body. Does anyone know if I can pull the end tank off the radiator and run a bead of high-temp sealant and will that cure me? It is definitely leaking from the top of the radiator.

I am driving the car to and from work now and that is it. I'm not going anywhere I don't need to until it's fixed. The drive to work is ~10 miles and by the time I get there I need to add about 1-2 cups of coolant each time. The temp gauge remains just about in the middle and has not gone past the middle since the first time it nearly pegged.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
You need a new radiator, the part is cheap and it takes 30 minutes to remove and install. You can't just separate the plastic tank, unfortunately.

If I had to guess, the color of the endtank is sort of a brownish-tan, correct? It's supposed to be black. ;)

Also, 6ULs :snoop: My biggest gripe with the RP-F1 is the fact that they don't fit over Wilwood BBKs, and Emilio's next batch of 6ULs ships at the end of July. I ordered my 6ULs before he even had a production date. Man up. :colbert:

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

Haha I can't believe that end tank is supposed to be black. It's a really light brown color. Now I guess the decision is whether or not to get an OEM replacement or an aluminum radiator? I do plan on a turbo kit in the future but that's not gonna be for at least another year.

Also, screw waiting 3 months for wheels. I am a product of the instant gratification culture. I WANT IT AND I WANT IT NOW!!

Seriously, the only reason I didn't get the 6ULs is because I didnt feel like waiting for them to be made. Either way, I am quite happy with the Enkeis :colbert:

Edit: so does that mean that my wheels won't fit over the big brake kit that Flyin Miata offers? Keep in mind mine are 16" not 15". That would suck.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Phone posted:

Aren't the 6ULs some kind of strange size or offset? Eitherway, I got the RPF1s because I got a deal on them with the tires mounted.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
I wouldn't call it strange, just correct. 15x8 +36 centers the wheel in the fender and allows for the widest tire under a stock Miata body.

In-Betweener
May 15, 2007

Servant of the forces of Order and Chaos
Have any of you guys had issues with the power door lock actuators on the NB's?

I have an 04 MSM and the drivers side power lock actuator doesn't want to work anymore. So I coughed up $200 and went to the dealer and purchased one (to install myself). Just wondering if this is a common issue...

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

In-Betweener posted:

Have any of you guys had issues with the power door lock actuators on the NB's?

I have an 04 MSM and the drivers side power lock actuator doesn't want to work anymore. So I coughed up $200 and went to the dealer and purchased one (to install myself). Just wondering if this is a common issue...

YES, mine worked the first week I got it but stopped soon after.

My Hard Dog M2 double diag just arrived yesterday, with any luck (and lots of help from awesome friends) we can get it put in this weekend. Just in time for the track! Now to order my helmet on friday...

In-Betweener
May 15, 2007

Coolnezzz posted:

YES, mine worked the first week I got it but stopped soon after.

My Hard Dog M2 double diag just arrived yesterday, with any luck (and lots of help from awesome friends) we can get it put in this weekend. Just in time for the track! Now to order my helmet on friday...

Bwhahhaa, i've had my car for a little over a month and it quit on me. It's only got 20k miles on it too...oh well.

You trackin yours? I can't really afford to wreck it (nor can I afford R comps) so getting my butt whooped in C stock once a month is the best I can do...

sonique128
Sep 24, 2003

Would anyone happen to have the large version of this image? I've used this image as an avatar for a couple of years now, and I got the original in AI eons ago.

As thanks, here are two photos I took of my buddies NB yesterday:

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

In-Betweener posted:

Bwhahhaa, i've had my car for a little over a month and it quit on me. It's only got 20k miles on it too...oh well.

You trackin yours? I can't really afford to wreck it (nor can I afford R comps) so getting my butt whooped in C stock once a month is the best I can do...

Yeah well I've already crashed it once, might as well have fun with it. I'm going to be running on what's left of my Falken Azenis RT615s, then hopefully in August order some bronze 6ULs from Emilio.

Lots of people track their NBs actually, there will be two at our event. I've never been to an autocross but I've ridden in my friends NB at Buttonwillow and it was a blast. This time we're at Streets of Willow for an entire 8 hours to ourselves. Probably only 10 people are going to be showing up, though, because most everyone else canceled.

Ugly wheels posted:

I've got to say those wheels are hideous, but that's just my opinion, the sleepy eyelids are kind of cool though.

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 9, 2008

notro man
Aug 23, 2006

sonique128 posted:

Would anyone happen to have the large version of this image? I've used this image as an avatar for a couple of years now, and I got the original in AI eons ago.

That reminds me of my friend's NB

In-Betweener
May 15, 2007

Mah bucket

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm looking to replace the windshield on my 95 pretty soon here. It has 13 years of pitting, sandblasting, tiny chips, and other imperfections that make it a pain in the rear end to look through on a bright day. It isn't broken or cracked or anything, but it's just time.

I got quoted $185 by a mobile windshield replacement guy that one of my coworkers has used a couple times. Does that sound about right? I don't really know what something like this should run, but it sounds reasonable-ish to me. Comments?

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
Contact your insurance company. Tell them it's badly pitted and you'd like it replaced, and they'll usually do it for free.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Savington posted:

Contact your insurance company. Tell them it's badly pitted and you'd like it replaced, and they'll usually do it for free.

I don't have comprehensive/glass coverage on my car.

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not wearing any pants. Film at 11!

Guinness posted:

I don't have comprehensive/glass coverage on my car.

Then get it. It's dirt cheap. Comprehensive is not the same as collision, which can be expensive as gently caress. I keep comprehensive on all my vehicles because it covers glass breakage, theft, vandalism, fire... pretty much everything not covered by collision, including hitting animals like deer, dogs, etc. it does not cover hitting stationary objects or other vehicles and such, but otherwise, it's well worth the extra bit of money.

In my own personal case, the difference between liability only and liability plus comprehensive is maybe 20 bucks a month total, and that's with me insuring 5 cars.

I have collision on three of them, also. Miata's are very cheap to insure compared to other vehicles too. So do yourself a favor and get at least comprehensive and glass (if that's not covered by your comp policy). It's not that much more out of pocket and you will certainly not regret it...

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.
I bought a 2000 MX5 yesterday and everything seemed to be working fine, but on the way home I connected the front of the stereo and found out the left speaker doesn't work, or the tweeter speakers on either side. I've tried another stereo which doesn't work either, so I tried taking off either the speaker cover of the whole door panel but they wont come off. I don't know how 3 of the 4 speakers could just stop working so I'm not sure if a wire has come loose or something. I'm taking it back to the garage this week but is there any way to take off the door covers or get at the speakers (I can't even get the caps off the window winders), or something else I should check first?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Lord of Sword posted:

I bought a 2000 MX5 yesterday and everything seemed to be working fine, but on the way home I connected the front of the stereo and found out the left speaker doesn't work, or the tweeter speakers on either side. I've tried another stereo which doesn't work either, so I tried taking off either the speaker cover of the whole door panel but they wont come off. I don't know how 3 of the 4 speakers could just stop working so I'm not sure if a wire has come loose or something. I'm taking it back to the garage this week but is there any way to take off the door covers or get at the speakers (I can't even get the caps off the window winders), or something else I should check first?

Did you try the equalizer? It could have weird fade and LR settings right now.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.

mobn posted:

Did you try the equalizer? It could have weird fade and LR settings right now.

Setting it to 100% left cuts the sound out completely, and when it's centered half the sound doesn't play, so it's definitely something to do with the speakers that's the problem.

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.

Lord of Sword posted:

There used to be a guide on miata.net which showed step by step how to remove the door cards but it's gone now, anyone have a mirror of it?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Oh hey sonique, didn't know you posted on here too.

But uh, I can vouch for Emilio's 6UL's as well, I don't have a single complaint (I got mine new for $525 to my door, whoooo) aside from that I'm terribly tempted to paint them full bronze now.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

My engine is knocking terribly, it is most noticeable above 3k rpm. Is there anything it could be other than a piston or rod? Tomorrow I am going to check out the spark plugs and make sure the gap is correct and that they are okay. It also sounds like it is backfiring.

Anything else I should check?

Willie D
Dec 29, 2006

by Ozma

sonique128 posted:

Is the NB like the UK mk2 or the mk2.5? And what front splitter is he using, im going to have to make my front end look a little meaner to match the Forced Induction thats guna go in soon and I think that looks great.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

destructo posted:

But uh, I can vouch for Emilio's 6UL's as well, I don't have a single complaint

Which ones do you have? I noticed the only one that was seemed hubcentric was the Spec-miata one which weigh like 2 lbs more than the ITA ones (for 15x7).

Dicker
Sep 1, 2006
The green NB is a 99 US market car. thats a garage Vary front splitter.

you dont need hubcentric wheels, its a waste of time, I've done 125 mph on the original 15x8 6ul's and they're just fine. and a bunch of track events riding the gators.

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.

willd58 posted:

Is the NB like the UK mk2 or the mk2.5? And what front splitter is he using, im going to have to make my front end look a little meaner to match the Forced Induction thats guna go in soon and I think that looks great.

The mk2 and mk2.5 are both NB, the latter being a facelift with space for foglights on the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

ChiliMac posted:

Which ones do you have? I noticed the only one that was seemed hubcentric was the Spec-miata one which weigh like 2 lbs more than the ITA ones (for 15x7).
I'd start reading here

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=281374

emilio posted:

First Spec Miata 6UL's in action at the SCCA SFR May double regional at Thunderhill. 6UL's qualified 1st and 2nd and won the race today (Sean Yepez/Hooverspeed). I didn't get the field size but Norcal often has 35~45 Spec Miatas.