Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

coyo7e posted:

:words:

Oh my god that's fantastic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Drox posted:

Holy poo poo, that is really hilarious. Drunk or not, the fact that you brought a man to tears using only virtual snowballs is pretty drat funny.

I'm laughing at the poor innocent bastard who had no knowledge of his legacy on the server. That guy had to be very confused. "A whole guild? What in the world?" I would have thought it was initiation.. but hey, whatever. Great stories!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Nybble posted:

I'm laughing at the poor innocent bastard who had no knowledge of his legacy on the server. That guy had to be very confused. "A whole guild? What in the world?" I would have thought it was initiation.. but hey, whatever. Great stories!
It was pretty obvious why we didn't want him because everyone was hollering poo poo about him being a pussy who bought characters he didn't actually know how to play. He wasn't a good enough cleric to keep up as a raid healer, even in some of the best healing gear in the game at that time.

If I remember, the ebay bitch ended up respeccing shadow, and doing nothing but playing in the Battlegrounds.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

coyo7e posted:

:words:

...I think you just invented WoW Bukkake.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I read about the Natural Selection Griefing, wanted to add in my own.

The Last Defense
In the early natural selection, there are the usual beginning, middle fight, and end game. The beginning is where one holds onto what precious little resources you have, while trying to deny the enemies resources. The Middle fight is where both teams have enough resources to field Fades, jetpacks, heavy armor, and Onos are the most commonly seen. This is basically trench warfare, where sides throw oodles of men and aliens at the fortified lines, hoping to make a dent, and once a breach has been made, we proceed to: The End Game.

By now, a side is getting slaughtered mercilessly, but still has enough resources stored up, as well as a heavily fortified main base, to hold off the attackers for a little while. The team has no chance of victory, but by golly, they'll make it last.

It's at this part of the game where one team, by rights should give up and surrender to the crushing jaws of defeat, because there is no hope in hell of winning. Even if they were given 10 minutes to reinforce, and attack, the deployed static defenses littered throughout the map would make it impossible to win.

I like the end game, because opportunities for griefing are boundless.

I'm marines, and we lose our commander. He just quits game, and all of us are running around like headless chickens because we don't know how to effectively command our troops.

Cue my idea.

In this particular map, we spawn next to a vent which only leads into our base from another are, but we have sealed the other end so that way is blocked off. We can still get into the vent if we have a jet-pack.

The aliens are throwing acid bombs at our last 2 sentry stations, and soon will be slaughtering us wholesale. Uhoh.

I deploy another command center in the vents, and tell a buddy of mine to suit up in a jet pack and go construct it.

Donkringel: "Hey, buddy, I got an awesome idea for making this victory very painful, you down?"
Buddy: "When am I not?"

Meanwhile, I drop an inventory station in the vents and a jetpack for myself, and join up with my buddy in the vents, building our own little mini-base.

To give an idea of how crowded the vents are, you have to hop over someone to get around them. Quite cramped. By the time we get the command center up and running, as well as the inventory station, our base is being spawncamped by the aliens. Our people are getting slaughtered, and I have quite the chuckle while my team is being spawned and then immediately cut open by giant aliens. Eventually the aliens kill everyone, assume that my buddy and I are hiding somewhere else in the level and leave the area. My team has no idea what I've done either.

I set up a spawn point, and our first reinforcements arrive!
Teammate: "What the...?"
Grand Allied Commander Donkringel: "Shut up and start building the next spawn point!"

I fill up the ENTIRE vent with spawn points. A team typically needs two or three, because a dead member can only respawn in waves, and it's unlikely to lose more then 2 members for a 15 second wave. I've set it up so that everyone can respawn at once, which is helpful as I initiate the next phase of my plan.

Grand Allied Dictator for Life Commander Donkringel: "Hey aliens, we're up here!"
Teammate: "Dude, why did you tell them where we are?"
Grand Allied Dictator for Life Commander Donkringel: "Shush! I'm plotting!"

The aliens come in droves. Onos' Shades, everyone high end alien... which can't get to the vent above, because you need to be able to fly, or stick to walls.

So their entire team is forced to waste resources devolving into lurks (flyers) or skulks (wall climbers) and head up to the vent. Since they're low level enemies, my frustrated men gun them down easily. Literally, my guys are all crowded at the vents, blasting away. I've saved up for a few shotguns for them even!

The aliens scream profanities at us, and continue to die in droves. Sure, my men take hideous casualties, but the massed respawners fix that! Eventually, the aliens drive us away from the vent opening with ranged fire, and begin doing their dirty work.

*Plop* *Plop* *Squirtch!*
Teammate 1: "What's that?"
Teammate 2: "It sounds like they're... building something?"
King Dictator Donkringel: "Ahahahah! You'll never take us alive"
Alien: "Whatever fucker, it's gameover. ATTACK!"

From my vantage point of commander, I can see the aliens are building a massive pyramid of junk building to act as stairs.

Suddenly, Onos (Best alien in the game) and Fades (scariest alien in the game) come pouring through the vents. Our shotguns and light machineguns are no match for their combined might, and my men quickly fall, and the aliens walk atop the respawners.

Where the second bit of my rear end in a top hat plan comes in.

Respawners kill whoever is on top of them when someone respawns. I've turned the entire vent into a minefield of firing marines.

The wave is decimated, and we make a counterattack. We destroy half their tower, but they kill all but two of our respawns.

After that, we lose our last building, as well as our last man, and the game is over.

I got called some fun names after that.

Sorry for the wall of text, if anyone enjoyed that I can post more.

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

I shouldn't trust the phones. They're full of gas.

Donkringel posted:

Where the second bit of my rear end in a top hat plan comes in.

Respawners kill whoever is on top of them when someone respawns. I've turned the entire vent into a minefield of firing marines.

The wave is decimated, and we make a counterattack. We destroy half their tower, but they kill all but two of our respawns.

After that, we lose our last building, as well as our last man, and the game is over.

I got called some fun names after that.

Read the whole thing, was not disappointed, though I think you would've had a great time with the vents in the Tremulous levels -- they were only large enough to crouch-walk in, which meant nothing that could survive two shotgun blasts on the alien side could get in. Sure, you couldn't build in that amount of space, but you could make do. :)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Hilight of the night:

"Sniper Wolf", previously the team points leader on 2fort, decided he would rather switch to Scout and run face-first into a sentry gun than deal with my teleporters and constant cloaking/uncloaking. The other team seemed to be on to it and never shot me, although I'm pretty good at doing the Cabbage Patch to dodge snipers. I think about 10min prior to this Sniper Wolf said over global chat "well i'm a sniper and there's nothign you can do to make me change" when confronted with the uselessness of his own existence.

Would it be possible to write a server-side mod that threw someone into the water if they stood on the battlements for longer than X seconds? Does the Source server have the slap command?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jul 17, 2008

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

Donkringel posted:

Has anyone ever turned one of these offers down? POST THEM.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
Many years ago, when Skype didn't cost anything, me and a buddy resorted to ridiculous prank calls.

Somehow my buddy managed to get the phone number of some kid he played CS with a lot, and decided to call him. It started off just teasing him, playing around... general goofing... then gradually turned into a drunken verbal onslaught.

After just ripping on him mercilessly for a while, the victim manages to stutter out a "S-s-shut up". Of course it only got worse from there, and he ended up hanging up. I can't remember exactly what my buddy said to the other guy, but numerous calls back to him later, he somehow had this guy in tears, straight sobbing into the telephone.

I think this was our first major Skype victory.

---

Another one was when I called some guy that another friend knew. I had some voice changer at the time, so I crafted the blackest, most overdone, fake voice possible. Successfully disguised as a bi-sexual, Jewish black man named 'Jakeise', I gave him a ring.

So I start off by telling him that word has been floating around the local black-jew community that he has been spreading hateful propaganda against our kind. I guess I sounded horrifying to him, because after some of me yelling, he started trying to desperately explain to me that it must have been a misunderstanding. I then branch off into the subject of how I sneak into his house when he's not around to hang out with his girlfriend, and how I was planning to build a gazebo on his roof or some poo poo.

After trying to get him to believe that his girlfriend was seeing me, it was starting to slow down... and I was pretty sure he was catching on, so I dropped the bomb.

"Oh by the way, how's Devon doing?".

His girlfriend had a kid. This is about the part where he poo poo his pants. I could hear him mutter something then slowly hang the phone up.

The next day my buddy got a panicked phone call from him screaming about how a psycho is loving his girlfriend and living in his home while he's out. So my buddy plays it off all cool like he's crazy. Later when he had the chance, he left him a note in his mailbox or some poo poo that said something like "NIGGA, YOU BEST WATCH YO STEP -- JAKIESE"

Apparently he ended up freaking the gently caress out and staying inside for a while, ready to call the police at even the slightest disturbance.

Snowman95
Nov 25, 2004
^^^ Sounds like you being a dick more than griefing?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

slovach posted:

Jakiese, Gazebos, and delicious sobbing.

I was wondering when more real life chicanery would get around.

However, is it really griefing, or does the term only apply to the online world?

A discussion point. At any rate, more stories

Spaced Marines
This wasn't entirely my own griefing, but I had a hand in the beginning.

This is another map, where the marines start out in this enlarged cockpit where you can see out into space. Once again, the team begins too lose, and my commander directs me to the cockpit.

Commander: "I have a special mission for you soldier!"
Donkringel: "Is it going to save our asses?"
Commander: "No, but we're going to laugh real hard."

I head to the cockpit, and low and behold the commander has somehow managed to place a spawn point outside in space, but just close enough to the cockpit that I can clip thru and start setting it up. Meanwhile, the commander sells our other respawns, and our team starts to respawn in space.

Now, of course we aren't dying, it's just a small portion of the map, so no explosive decompression. Unfortunately, the outside "space" is just a small room, so we cant really move around at all. But we do have a birds eye view of the entire alien team trying to get through the glass to kill us!

Both teams are cussing out our commander, and him and I can't stop laughing. The round is essentially a stalemate because the aliens can't destroy our building, and neither can we. Then a smart alien player discovers an attack "health spray" (heals aliens, and alien structures, but damages marines only) can get through the cockpit. Soon, the entire alien team are gorges (unit with this attack) gassing the poor marine bastards who are respawning. Cue more cursing. Aliens get ridiculously high kills, until the game times out (after 3 hours. I went and watched tv)

Ceiling Marine is Watching you Cry

This is the same level mentioned as before, except I'm the one in charge this time. Aliens are knocking on our door, and I outfit the buddy I mentioned previously and four other marines with jetpacks, heavy machine guns, and grenade launchers, as well as welders. They then skedaddle up into the vents, and I proceed to construct a command center out in the terrible darkness of space (outside the cockpit).

I mount up in the new command center, sell of the rest of our base for extra credits, and wait while the remaining marines get butchered. My 5 guys are unfortunately down to three, 2 having been caught in webs and torn apart. But I deploy health kits and ammo kits to the remaining three, and we wait. And wait. And wait.

An unfortunate thing about aliens is that they RARELY check vents for marines hiding in them. As much as aliens use the vents, it never occurs to them to check there. I'm certain the only reason my boys were found was due to an alien taking a shortcut through them.

At any rate, cue the entire alien team streaming through the vents trying to get at these three guys while I'm spamming ammo packs, health packs, and general praise. My boys were unstoppable... until they ran out of armor. Then they started getting torn to shreds. A single bite were almost kill them. Eventually, they were overwhelmed, but not before keeping the game going for an additional 20 minutes.

The Red Baron

I usually go marines because their entire game is interesting and fun, from beginning, middle, and as you saw, end. The alien end game is rather quick I'm afraid. As soon as the aliens lose their last hive, all remaining aliens begin dying, unless a new hive goes up.

Marines have these fun turrets called siege guns which fire through walls and attack buildings, and kill any creature standing next to it. So if marines get a siege farm next to any base, that base is mostly toast. So generally, marines don't need to wade knee-deep into alien corpses to get at their hive. They let their machines do their dirty work. A neat thing about siege guns, is that they cannot elevate beyond a certain range. Things high up are safe.

Awesome.

I'm playing as aliens as it becomes obvious that marines are going to win. They begin sieging one of our hives, and pushing hard on the other two. We won't be able to turn them back.

I decide to create a mini-base right above one of our hives. The hive itself is in a big cylinder, with ledges on the top of the cylinder. It is there that I start placing Offense chambers (Alien Turret), Sensory Tower (Cloaks nearby aliens from motion tracking) and the crux of my plan Defense chambers (an area of effect heal on any structure and alien).

By the time my base is set up, the hive I'm building by has already been demolished by the marines, and we're down to our last hive, so now I can only make defense chambers and offense chambers. Meanwhile, my buddy mentioned from before has chipped in to help build the mini-base, and soon we're set.

The marines kill the last hive, and all the other aliens die except for us two. He turns into a Lerk (a flying alien) while I remain a gorge and accrue all the resource points (since my teammates are dead and he is a combat class, I receive priority for ALL of the alien's resource points).

I reconstruct the hive, and the thing is up and running before the marines can figure out what is going on. This is then when I turn myself into a Lerk, knowing the game is up.

The hive respawns our teammates which slow down the marine advance, until they make a siege turret farm, which kills off our remaining hive. We lose the team again, as well as our ranged attack.

Aliens have four abilities, and can use their first ability plus however many hives they have up. Since we have none, we are only capable of flapping our wings and biting like our brothers taught us.

The marines come in warily, wondering where the hell we are. My buddy and I drop on them and beginning chewing through their faces. The sudden suicidal attack throws off the entire group (I'd say 4 marines, but I'm not sure) and we manage to kill all 4. We fly back up, and repeat. Of course, it's amusing that heavily armored and armed marines are getting slaughtered by biting pigeons (the class is meant to be played at range. It's basically a knife attack) but it happens all the same. The seige guns can't hit us, and they can't kill our buildings from the ground. SEND IN THE JETPACKS!

Now, the thing about jet-packs is that you can't wear heavy armor. You need light armor. It's one of those speed vs protection tradeoffs. Light armor is easily chewed through. Add the fact that we have offense chambers up there and...

The entire marine team (sans commander) comes in with heavy machine guns and jetpacks. Why it didn't occur to them to use grenades, I'll never know, but their idiocy was a blessing for us.

Cue a massive air battle. Thanks to the randomness of us flapping up and down, how hard it is to fire a gun with massive recoil in the air, and a giant pit of acid below you should you miss the catwalk... Oh, and you're being hit with poisonous barbs and having your nose ripped off by a screeching, chittering demon-bird?

Every marine dies. We lose nothing.

They don't learn either. They all re-suit and fly out again and again. I wish I had some amazing trick I also pulled, but unfortunately I do not. Time, numbers, and being outgunned wore both my teammate and myself down, until our bullet ridden bodies slammed into the toxic waste below.

But drat did we have fun.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Snowman95 posted:

^^^ Sounds like you being a dick more than griefing?

Well, it's people we knew from games, so I guess it sort of counts.

edit: Maybe. Basically, instead of doing poo poo in game, we took it to the telephone with wonderful results. Certain real world connections only further aided this process.

slovach fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 17, 2008

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

slovach posted:

Well, it's people we knew from games, so I guess it sort of counts.

edit: Maybe. Basically, instead of doing poo poo in game, we took it to the telephone with wonderful results. Certain real world connections only further aided this process.
Doesn't sound much like griefing to me either, just a phone prank by some middle school kids, with a dubiously truthful ending doubtlessly retold all across the cafeteria.

Remember the root reason we grief.. It's not to hurt people's feelings so much as show them the irony of taking games as Serious Business. Even if they don't understand you're showing them the absurdity of their massive investment (and if you don't see yourself caught up in the same web,) you still get a feeling of superiority.

Picking on some kid over the phone is not griefing, is harassment. And while I'm not actually against it, it's not griefing.

Griefing is done in a virtual world, as a way to keep yourself rooted in the real one, or at least pretend to be doing so.

This is also why in my first WoW story, I added the cavéat that I didn't really think it was griefing. We weren't shaking anyone's version of their own reality, or showing them their absurdity, we just pulled a carefully orchestrated prank that was really hilarious, and that the person who was the end target ended up laughing along with, and even sharing the story as a badge of honor. It's still a funny story, but it is probably not technically griefing.

But snowballing a drunken guildmaster until he gquit is arguably griefing's epitome: someone mentioned it previously in the thread that chasing someone off of a game in a frothing jibberish mess, (temporarily or permenantly) is probably the best reward.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 17, 2008

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

coyo7e posted:

Doesn't sound much like griefing to me either, just a phone prank by some middle school kids, with a dubiously truthful ending doubtlessly retold all across the cafeteria.

Remember the root reason we grief.. It's not to hurt people's feelings so much as show them the irony of taking games as Serious Business. Even if they don't understand you're showing them the absurdity of their massive investment (and if you don't see yourself caught up in the same web,) you still get a feeling of superiority.

Picking on some kid over the phone is not griefing, is harassment. And while I'm not actually against it, it's not griefing.

Griefing is done in a virtual world, as a way to keep yourself rooted in the real one, or at least pretend to be doing so.

Eh, maybe it was a bit of a stretch, I guess it doesn't so much fall into ruining someones gaming experience as it does their night, heh. I'll try to keep future stories of asshattery more focused on in game exploits.

But when "Jack the Hymen-ripper" joins your CS server and goes on about how he got the most hosed up phone call, then it's something special, in a way.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
For those of you who have played RPGWO i think i have a tip that can help your griefing.

In the chat box if you move the text cursor all the way to the very edge of the box (without scrolling the text box) your message will show up on the next line. This allows you to do something like this,

(timestamp)Kea says: blah blah blah
(timestamp)SERVER says: you see a flash in the sky!

note BOTH of those are said by me, just put in any old timestamp, no one checks.
I'm sure any rpgwo goons can think of other ways to use this, I sure did.

I hope these instructions are clear enough for you, i'd put in screenshots but I dont have the client on my work computer.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Kea posted:

For those of you who have played RPGWO i think i have a tip that can help your griefing.

In the chat box if you move the text cursor all the way to the very edge of the box (without scrolling the text box) your message will show up on the next line. This allows you to do something like this,

(timestamp)Kea says: blah blah blah
(timestamp)SERVER says: you see a flash in the sky!

note BOTH of those are said by me, just put in any old timestamp, no one checks.
I'm sure any rpgwo goons can think of other ways to use this, I sure did.

I hope these instructions are clear enough for you, i'd put in screenshots but I dont have the client on my work computer.

We did something like this in WoW. Have fake conversations in Guild chat. The only problem was if someone (read: everyone who used mods) had a different sized chat window. So, only really worked if someone wasn't paying the best attention.

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001
Back in the early days of b.net when Diablo 1 came out I remember you could spam 26 or 28 consecutive '@' symbols in chat followed by a space. Copy paste repeatedly to fill the chat send buffer then copy/paste THAT as one piece of chat text. This would have the effect of scrolling the chat window so that all anyone could see was a wall of @@@@@@. The flood protection was lenient enough that you could spam this without letting anyone read hardly anything in the channel. You could use this tactic in pretty much any of the chat rooms without repercussions. Actually I don't even remember if you could mute people back then or not. The Diablo b.net UI was pretty primitive and simple. There weren't even a lot of commands back then.

Anyway a pretty tame grief but it was good in between games of TKing people and then ressing them and TKing them again and again and again.

CS was just ripe with exploits and creative griefing as a lot of people have already mentioned. Among my favorites were skywalking in de_dust by stacking on the boxes at CT spawn. This allowed you walk on an invisible plane that extended around the spawn area and reign down death from above. Most people had a hard time killing you in the sky and if you were a decent player you could wipe out an entire team with the sniper rifle.

It was also great going into pubs with some buddies and coordinating towers. Basically each player stacks onto the other players in one big tower in weird corners and spots in the map with a lovely inaccurate, big clip size weapon like the para and unleashes fury on anyone who comes around corners. They might take one of you out but they sure as hell weren't surviving 20 rounds to the face. It's even better when people wise up and start tossing grenades at you and the whole tower of bodies comes crashing down.

On servers with friendly fire off and a couple friends you could fairly easily quickly run up to someone in spawn while they were buying weapons and surround them so they couldn't move through you. As long as you didn't duck they wouldn't be able to do anything other than stand in place and shoot their weapon. Usually much cursing and angry raging ensued when they realized they had to sit out a potentially 5 minute or longer round while you and your buddies were valiant meat shields ensuring their safety. In fact you could block people in a lot of tight hiding spots by yourself just by walking in front of them.

I think one of the better innovations to come out of the CS community was the Piss-Mod. I think it was a metamod plugin or something but it allowed you to /piss anywhere on the map. Particularly great when annihilating teams and pissing on corpses while everyone spectates you. Complete with yellow urine stream and sound effects. What was great that it lasted for 5-6 seconds and made you put your weapon away and completely immobile so the other team could come by and blast you while you're pissing on corpses. I'd like to see Piss-Mod in more modern FPSs I think.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

coyo7e posted:

What about loving with a real-world game? I'm moving soon to an apartment on the edge of a golf course, and a rudimentary golf ball launcher is really easy to build . . . I figure if I get a big bucket of driving range balls, the odds of chance are in my favor that one day I'll come up with the same brand and number as the guy on the hole below my window is using.

Edit: Of course, in this case "banned from server" = homeless, so maybe not such a good idea. But I have family in town, I could couch-surf. :v:

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 17, 2008

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

coyo7e posted:

It's not to hurt people's feelings so much as show them the irony of taking games as Serious Business.

Picking on some kid over the phone is not griefing, is harassment.

I think that these two statements define what is griefing and what isn't. Locking people into the Spawn point, and only letting them out when they sing, that is griefing. Kicking people in the nuts at random and then laughing at them, that is NOT griefing. That skype call was just dumb, not griefing, and you are going to get your rear end kicked some day. Just saying to be a bit more careful.

And no, I don't think it has to be confined to the real world, as Delivery McGee may try to do. It messes with serious golf players (and really, who likes golf that much to actually play it?).

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If it's something that you would talk about in another thread here in Games, it's probably griefing. If it would be off-topic in Games, it's a prank and you should take it to GBS.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5674098610233466310&q=wexford+wargaming&ei=n2l_SM2_E6Ow4QLV_OWnDA&hl=en

There's the video of the final round. It's pretty obvious which team was mine :pwn:

the chic in psychic
Jun 18, 2005
U r Stinky Mcbutt mkay?

Necc0 posted:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5674098610233466310&q=wexford+wargaming&ei=n2l_SM2_E6Ow4QLV_OWnDA&hl=en

There's the video of the final round. It's pretty obvious which team was mine :pwn:

Holy poo poo, when does the commentator shut his loving mouth?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Necc0 posted:

I love how the commentator runs his mouth for the first half, and by the end is pretty much speechless. Hilarious. I used to watch a lot of CAL CSS streams when my buddies played in a clan, and some of the commentators would go freakin' nuts. This is like the antivirus.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
if you watch the last round he goes off the wall. If my memory serves me right the mic starts to distort because he yells so drat loud.

then followed by everyone leaving except for my friend, who spends the next ten minutes blowing himself up :downs:

Boll Weevil
Feb 21, 2007

Do work.

Necc0 posted:

"NO! POKEMON!"

Zenodice
Mar 16, 2005
Oderint Dum Metuant
My Second Life As A Pole Dancer - Day 1

Things went pretty well today, I downloaded second life and logged in for the first time in months since the whole W-Hat and PN drama bomb a few months back. I browsed through my old inventory to see what I had together to create a super sexy avatar to start stripping and making linden$.

So I set out and create what I call "fatty, the sexy red punk cherub"

Click here for the full 1280x968 image.

NSFW Version

As you can see, Fatty is quite the well endowed individual, I figured this would most certainly guarantee a steady influx of L$. He also has a pretty cool cape so there's that too...

Anyways, So I stumble upon a place called Mobius, Novgorod (138, 120, 79)
Which happens to be a strip club called The Playpen, PERFECT, I look around and notice there is a "Ladies Only Club". I enter the club and notice the walls are adorned with photos of all the other sexy male strippers. I decide that the ladies need a change of pace, something they can sink their teeth into, so I get up on the dance floor and start my show.

NSFW Version

NSFW Version

NSFW Version

NSFW Version

NSFW Version

NSFW Version

Not long after a lone customer walks in, her reaction says it all, unfortunately the land owned did not appreciate my honing in on their business and even though I made 200$L in the short time I was there, it was well worth it.

If anyone wants to join me as a sexy male stripper, I can give you a copy of the fatty avatar, look me up in-game as Mortus Camus.

Zenodice fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 18, 2008

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
Ages ago when Call of Duty 2 first launched, there was a horrible bug with the ladder. If two people climbed up it at the same time, both could sort of get stuck together and continue climbing into the sky... as seen here http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9pCuIqd2Y-g

It took a little practice at first, but after some time, me and some buddies seem to have gotten it down pretty well. Call of Duty 2 had the CTF game mode, and since we were all in CAL for CTF, and were basically one of the best teams, running trains with flags for the entire game in public servers was a common occurrence. However, if just being annoying assholes who completely stacked teams and ruined the game by winning with 30 flag caps to 0 wasn't enough, once we figured out the climbing thing, we started holding flags for ransom.

Instead of capping the flag once we arrived back at our stronghold, we'd buddy up and climb off into the sunset, often to the horror of any team mates that happened to be watching. Flags never timed out, so if we happened to crater on top of a building or out of the map, that was pretty much the end of "Capture The Flag".

Of course this would always end up turning into confusion, blame wars, screaming about hacking and poo poo, etc. Public games were boring though, so we'd soon take to doing it in scrims against other teams. MANY people in COD2 took the game horrifyingly serious, it was these kinds of people that would park their rear end in 'the' nuclear fallout deathmatch server for hours (which was basically the most popular DM server in the game) and just berate people for the sheer number of cocks they sucked. Some people in this game took nerdrage / asshat to another level. I remember hearing a story of some dude that almost started a fight in a LAN, then proceeded to steal a bunch all the mousepads that were supposed to be prizes and walk out. :lol:

Needless to say, when the flag vanished in the middle of a match and they started getting blamed by us for abusing flag mechanics or other made up poo poo, people would often snap, then leave in any angry huff. I'm sure it didn't help that most of the kids in CoD2 CAL were 14, either.

Nothing like seeing "GUYS DON'T PLAY WITH THAT TEAM THEY ARE FAGGOTS AND THEY CHEAT THEY SIT ONTOP OF BUILDINGS AND FLAGALSKJDASDA"

Of course, it sounded stupid until the next team got ballsy and tried to play us, only to be faced with people climbing their way into the atmosphere with the flag and others raining down death from invisible ledges 100 feet in the air. Nobody would play us until the game patched this out. :(

---

At one point in time, me and a friend got hooked on the whole RTS thing. Being as cheap as we were, and having a boner for Total Annihilation, we felt right at home in TA-Spring, a free remake of the game engine, complete with new mods, maps and gameplay elements such as drawing dicks.

The game requires a fair lot of micromanagement, but eventually we started getting better at it.

A lot better.

There was this one map called Speed Metal, metal was the main resource of TA, next to energy. Since the level was metal, if you played your cards right you could build VERY quickly. We had it down to such a science, we'd have our first nuclear reactors and poo poo up in like 3 minutes and nukes up in 7. So to avoid just flat out winning, we'd usually turtle the gently caress out of the game and just build and build and build.

Usually later in the game, the other team would finally get a nuke or other super weapon done and try to stroll it into our base looking for an easy victory because they had never been attacked the entire game. Well, when one of the strongest units in the game gets decimated in mere seconds by our sheer number of defenses, then you start to worry about what we had been doing all that while.

This one time, I had built more nuclear silos than ever.

See those things? One is enough to gently caress a base over, let alone that many... and each one of those megazords that I had building at an absolutely ridiculous rate could EASYILY take our a well guarded base in one single go if you didn't have a retarded amount of defenses... they were absurdly strong.

The game had dragged on, so I figured I'd launch all my nukes at the front of their base to scare the poo poo out of them. This is where my own plan backfired for once. Notice my buddies plane flying over at that very moment.

Bye bye our base. :(

Oh well, even their anti-nukes couldn't stop the barrage. I'm sure they were wondering WTF when every single anti-nuke they had tried to launch at the same time.

In the end, the blast ended up being a bit stronger than expected, and instead of scaring them, I vaporized them. Needless to say, we were the undisputed kings of this map, we never lost on it and eventually people would just not play if they saw us there. It wasn't just sheer overpowering we did to them, oh no, we sucked the fun right out of the game.

There we also units that could move other units, however most people didn't have the smarts to build anti-air 5 seconds into the game. Who would? You couldn't really attack with anything deadly... but you didn't need to. These units that could move other ones flew around, and if you were quick, we could often catch both of the other players commanders building, pick them up and then just fly them around.

Of course if that plane went down, the commander would just die instantly, causing a nuclear explosion big enough to eradicate a base. If we just got one player, it was enough to end the game in under a minute. We would fly the captured commander over and wave him in his team mates face, sometimes detonate him, or sometimes go put him in some spot that he couldn't possible get out of and would be stuck there for the rest of the game.

People didn't take kindly to us hijacking their commanders and then forcing them to watch us build the weapons that would win us the game. Especially when it was a real "By the books" kind of kid that we were playing against.

"NO YOU GUYS CANT DO THAT IT'S LAME AND AGAINST THE HONOR COEDASJDJDAKS ASD"

"GUYS DON'T PLAY SO AND SO THEY ARE LAME AND USE HOMO TACTICS"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I just joined Second Life as Jacen Hellershanks. I got through the tutorial and search for what on the map so I could teleport. I wasn't sure if I had the right place until everything loaded.

Yeah

MightyZaar
Jan 28, 2004
Now with 33% more rage and vengeance!
I was trying to recall some more stories from the fun days of WoW. Not quite as epic as some of the stories here but they were still pretty amusing

Being in the #1 guild for raid progression of our faction at the time, we were absurdly overpowered for the regular 5-man dungeons. We were also very good at them because I, a mage, and a good rogue friend of mine would regularly practice clearing them by ourselves for fun and profit. Especially Stratholme, because we could clear 2-3 packs of the beginning trash at one time and then clear the second half for Righteous Orbs, which were very valuable at the time being used for the only decent melee enchant.

Anyway, the natural progression of this became clear. We would join 3 random people on pub runs and infuriate them by going off ourselves and not paying any attention to them. They would make their initial setup, designate each mob for crowd control, and prepare for a pull, at which point I would hit the rocket boots, fireworks, grenades, or whatever obnoxious trinkets I had on me at the time, and charge into several groups at once and we would start obliterating them with AoE and backstabs.

The other group members would do any number of things, usually getting angry, cursing, yelling, chaos, confusion, trying to help, and dying. Eventually they would either leave, try to help and die, or get wise to our pattern and help without dying. Not that it made any difference to us because we'd get the job done either way, but we had lots of fun laughing at peoples' reactions over vent.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008
This one is, unfortunately, second hand:

I occasionally play C&C Renegade. Most of the time, it is a base v. base game with NOD and GDI facing off. However, one of the servers I play on has a bunch of custom co-op maps. The numbers are stacked against the players, but controlled by the AI, so the games are usually long feel-good kill-a-thons. A way to vent your frustration by unloading magazines into wave after wave of NOD soldiers. However, some of the players figured out how to switch sides. This would cause a shitton of anguish among a bunch of players that are not used to the enemy accurately shooting back. Especially fun was the fact that some of the scenarios were nigh-on-impossible to end if the NOD soldiers fought with any skill.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MightyZaar posted:

The other group members would do any number of things, usually getting angry, cursing, yelling, chaos, confusion, trying to help, and dying. Eventually they would either leave, try to help and die, or get wise to our pattern and help without dying. Not that it made any difference to us because we'd get the job done either way, but we had lots of fun laughing at peoples' reactions over vent.
I used to take my level 60 orc hunter inside Wailing Caverns, because there's always be some newbie alt looking to get plevelled. So i'd tell lowbies I was going to help a friend, get a party togther, (I'd designate a random one as my "friend" and send private tells to people that I didn't want anyone else to get jealous,) and bring them inside the zone a little ways, and tell them the plan: I was going to train a huge pile of mobs with my pet, then AOE and do other badass hunter poo poo to kill everything at once.

So I'd do this with a couple piles of 10-15 mobs, the lowbies would get cocky and restless by this point, so I'd just rush ahead and rapidly swap targets, sending my pet in to taunt everything it ran past. I could usually get about 2/3 of the way to the final boss in WC, before my pet would crumble and die, slingshotting all the mobs directly to me and the newbies I'd been leading.

Then I'd feign death, watch everyone die, then stand back up and walk out of the zone since everything was too low level to aggro me.

Also, back when UBRS and LBRS were pretty much endgame, I'd run enough of them to have the full 8/8 Beaststalker set, and I'd generally run LBRS and UBRS a couple times a night to help my friends, so i got to be very practised at training the final boss of UBRS while a bunch of pubbies struggled to kill his bodyguards. Of course, this gave me ultimate power to avenge msyelf on any pubibes who were particularly rude and obnoxious. Then of course there was the famous whelp room.

But the REAL beauty of a nasty trick was that UBRS and LBRS were actually the same zone, and you could reach one from the other if you could survive certain jumps, etc. Being a hunter with the ability to feign death and escape from basically anything, I was familiar with the area and had short patience for rude pubbies. Interestingly, if you stood on a certain bridge near the entrance to ord Verminaard (or w/e his name was, the big dragonspawn guy that sat on the attunement crystal..) as a hunter with max talents in range, you could shoot the mobs near the midpoint to LBRS, from outside the boss's room in the end of UBRS. Since you were in a zone, nothing would stop chasing you until you died, feigned, or zoned out.. So occasionally I'd pop a quick shot into the guards on the bridge that was basically completely out of sight, then continue on clearing the trash around the boss as if nothing happened, until a few minutes later someone in the party noticed that they couldn't eat or drink because they were still in combat...

"Hey guys, did someone aggro something?"
"Naw, not me, I'm not in combat.. oh wait, I am, too! WTF!?"
...Usually the party would think out loud amongst themselves for a little bit, then decide to head to the exit to zone out so they could regen. By that time, a few dozen mobs would stampede across the bridge near the Beast, and wipe the party while I feigned death.

It's not nearly as funny when written, but after running those zones scores of times, I didn't have much patience for it, and would wipe a 10 man party at the drop of a hat.. ;)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 18, 2008

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Necc0 posted:

Where is "Wexford Wargaming" from? If it was Western PA, then heh. Also this video is hilarious.

Also also, I'm in on Second Life as Pope Borkotron.

e: Hurf durf.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 18, 2008

Plague Dynasty
Aug 20, 2006

find revelations in life
find satisfaction in death
Pokemon's kill was loving epic.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
This is pretty small compared to some of the stuff here buts its funny and easy.

In Halo 3 social sometimes a three man party gets split 2 vs 1. One night this kept happening and my friend (who is terrible at Halo) was getting sick of getting stuck on the other team.

Our next match once again split up the teams, but the level had vehicles and I had a plan. I told him to get into a warthog and find me in an isolated spot so I could ride as gunner.

It was glorious, with him at the wheel we always knew exactly where their team was, and they never saw us coming because the radar showed us as "friendly". The score was something like 18 to 4 within 2 minutes, and the mic was full of 12 year old tears and threats once they figured out what was happening.

The highlight came when someone was so sick of our poo poo they stuck a grenade to the warthog... we promptly booted him and his guest for team killing.

MiF
Nov 29, 2004

Here's one where we're the ones getting griefed on HellMOO.

It was all the work of a very small group of players. Sometimes three, mostly just two though. These two were called Ace and Mike.

Ace and Mike weren't normal players, oh no. They were dicks. They wouldn't even talk with anyone but each other except to ask for help on the global chat. They'd have alts follow each other in a game where alt rules are so strict you're not even allowed to have two alts online at the same time. Repeated warnings and short bans weren't enough to deter them from constantly finding new exploits and using those until an admin noticed.

Finally though, they found their last exploit. I'm going to go into detail about it because it sounds so drat funny. You see, there's a sperm bank where every player can donate once and get what is usually a large sum of money. However, it was located very, very far from the main hub of the game so it took quite a while for most people to stumble upon it. The method for "donating" was either jerking off into a machine or jerking off into a tube and giving it to the clerk. Ace and Mike abused this by having newbies jerk off into tubes and collecting their donation money. This made them unbelievably rich, but it wasn't much use when they were immediately banned when admins found out.

So what's a guy to do when he gets banned from a MOO for completely ignoring the rules? Find something better to do with your time? Go back under a new name and play nice? Oh, no. The answer, my friends, is to make your own MOO.

A while after they were banned, they started showing up on alts spamming how poo poo HellMOO is and how everyone should join HumanityMOO today! We knew it would be pretty hilarious, but nothing could have prepared us for HumanityMOO. 90% of the names and concepts were copied from HellMOO, except nothing worked and they had written their own text descriptions. The text descriptions were horribly written, and having the disadvantage of being blind, Mike and Ace and friends had no concept of things such as punctuation and capital letters. Passive-aggressive threats to HellMOO admins littered the game, and the creators of this abomination had taken their names, banning players from HellMOO (which were, ironically enough, the only players they had) because they were so unjustly banned from it.

In the end, HumanityMOO was forgotten after Ace and Mike had gotten tired of making spam alts after several months of comedy. It's still up though, and you can find a blog post here detailing on the huge success that is HumanityMOO. The game itself is up at humanitymoo.mcp-server.com:2468 although it has considerably improved and may not contain as much comedy.

Vesuro
Jul 16, 2008

by The Finn
I used to have a house on a zone line on a player run server on Ultima Online, and I could go to one side and shoot players on the other side without them even seeing me there or their health go down, so they'd be happily walking past then randomly die of unnatural causes.

Another one of my favourite griefs on the same game is to energy field (impassable wall spell) players into combat with top level mobs in non pvp zones, or to train a whole dungeon onto someone and then invis myself.

One I used to enjoy was find someone fighting a high level mob and sit there healing it until it killed them, or find someone taming something and kill it.

The best though is to stand under people (stand on them, then mount and dismount and you will basically become invisible under them) and talk poo poo. I managed to start a great brawl at West Bank (main trade spot) by calling everyone conmen and challenging their prices, and everyone thought it was the guy I was standing under. UO had no chat box before KR (which no one uses), and no one checks their journal with the speed of the spam at West Bank.

Vesuro fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 18, 2008

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vesuro posted:

I used to have a house on a zone line on a player run server on Ultima Online, and I could go to one side and shoot players on the other side without them even seeing me there or their health go down, so they'd be happily walking past then randomly die of unnatural causes.

That's not really greifing as much as using your resources

Vesuro
Jul 16, 2008

by The Finn

Girdox posted:

That's not really greifing as much as using your resources

I was invisible, because I was abusing the fact that I could see both sides of the server line and they couldn't.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vesuro posted:

I was invisible, because I was abusing the fact that I could see both sides of the server line and they couldn't.

Still it's not really greifing, you just exploited
edit: now if you pretending to be the almighty talking wall and make them take off their clothes or you'd bring down your unholy wallness, that'd be greifing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vesuro
Jul 16, 2008

by The Finn

Girdox posted:

Still it's not really greifing, you just exploited
edit: now if you pretending to be the almighty talking wall and make them take off their clothes or you'd bring down your unholy wallness, that'd be greifing

Yeah that'd be pretty hot, but I couldn't talk to them due to the server line. :(

Though when they died it did bring up 'Would you like to report a villa as a murderer?' as the character name was 'a villa'.

• Locked thread