Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Ericcorp posted:

In MVC2, I got tired of idiots playing all the time with Sentinental/Magneto/Cable.

I used to then just pick Gambit, quickly get a small amount of damage on the enemy, and then perform the bug where you do a Team Cancel followed by a charge down, up kick. Gambit would just off the screen and never come back. If you had more life than the other guy you'd win automatically when the time expired. Usually 60 or 90 seconds.

People would get so mad when I'd do that, but you know what? Too bad. Don't use a broken team and expect me to just sit there while you do Sentinels crap moves back and forth.

This made me smile deep down inside. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Sub-Actuality posted:

Yes, it's interesting. Tell us more. Why is everyone asking permission to post stories about griefing in the Griefing Discussion Thread?
I think it's probably just people being prudent. As was mentinoed, it IS a lot to type, and if you want to get across a truly funny griefing story, some editing should be involved too.

On top of that, you have the worry that some jagoff will immediately quote you with "GOD THAT WAS THE STUPIDEST STORY EVER AND THAT GAME IS FOR FAGS". I added a cavéat to my first WoW story because I didn't really think it was a griefing story, but I thought people would enjoy it; I figured that if someone didnt think ti was griefing that was ok, btu it was better to state that I didn't think it was griefing myself, to keep them from having a chance to troll.

That's my opinion on it anyway.

MrDutch
Jul 9, 2008

Yes they are shoes made of wood. Nothing weird about it, please stop taking my picture. I am NOT a tourist attraction!
I like the idea of doing a mass in SL, would be interesting to see the responses to a fully catholic service in a strip bar.

I came up with another idea too.

I found a replica of mecca, you know the holy site of muslims on SL, and since muslims generally explode over trivial things, it should be easy to grief them to hell.

I made a couple of pictures of the site:

This is Jihad-Joe giving me information about the site and trying to convert me.

I think this is the building that houses that rock (meteorite?) that they have to circle a certain amount of time?

This is the site from a distance, contains the building of the rock.

And i think this is the pillar at which they throw rocks?

Anyway, would be fun to get a dozen goons together, dress em up as pigs, and set them loose during prayer time.

I think muslims pray on saturdays? Not sure if the site is visited alot though... So i cant be sure if there will be people.

[Edit]: Or we could just do a catholic mass there.

Though we might be virtually beheaded.

MrDutch fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 24, 2008

Muddy_Funster
Jan 11, 2007
New Zealand made Polish sausage
^^^^ This would be awesome. Prehaps we need to turn up as another domination? A squad of catholic priests/american presidents/what about turning up in suicide vests ?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Muddy_Funster posted:

^^^^ This would be awesome. Prehaps we need to turn up as another domination? A squad of catholic priests/american presidents/what about turning up in suicide vests ?
Catholic Priests and George Bush clones wearing suicide vests.

Penile Dementia
Feb 13, 2006

I Left My Heart in Stamford Bridge
Aided and assisted by the Jew World Order!

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Obviously mecca must be infiltrated by a crack squad of ninjews.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Drox posted:

Obviously mecca must be infiltrated by a crack squad of ninjews.

Or they could bomb it using yarmulke-shaped UFOs. The signal to attack could be torah torah torah. :jewish:

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Muddy_Funster posted:

L33t_Kefka
Jul 16, 2000

My 1337 littl3 magic us3r, put 0n this cr0wn, bitch! H4W H4W! I 0wn j00!!!!

MrDutch posted:

I like the idea of doing a mass in SL, would be interesting to see the responses to a fully catholic service in a strip bar.

I came up with another idea too.

I found a replica of mecca, you know the holy site of muslims on SL, and since muslims generally explode over trivial things, it should be easy to grief them to hell.

I made a couple of pictures of the site:

Anyway, would be fun to get a dozen goons together, dress em up as pigs, and set them loose during prayer time.

I think muslims pray on saturdays? Not sure if the site is visited alot though... So i cant be sure if there will be people.

[Edit]: Or we could just do a catholic mass there.

Though we might be virtually beheaded.

If something big is done in the virtual mecca, :tenbux: says it'll make :foxnews: and/or blossom into an international incident of some sorts.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

L33t_Kefka posted:

If something big is done in the virtual mecca, :tenbux: says it'll make :foxnews: and/or blossom into an international incident of some sorts.
Then pretend to be Homeland Security.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

L33t_Kefka posted:

If this were to happen it would be so awesomely hilarious that i would totally risk being shot in the face by an Islamic extremist to take part in it.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
I discovered a trick in BF1942 (probably transferable to Vietnam, 2, 2142, etc), that I'm sure has been discovered before but it wasn't mentioned here.

You play as whoever has the explosives, get in an aircraft, get as high as you can, paradrop out, drop ordinance, watch as people mindfucked by falling expacks. It sounds crazy but it's really easy easy on large groups and light armor, and doesn't make the noise a bomb does, and you can see where you're dropping it. And I did get a few "wtf?"s, mostly from my team though.

Can Goons figure out how to exploit it into a grief?

Isko
May 20, 2008
Something pretty funny just happened while I was playing TF2 on a map called jump_bob. This is a map where instead of fighting with the other team, you can only go blue and your goal is to do a bunch of sticky or rocket jumps to reach the end. You can go red team on this map but you will be stuck in a box. Well me and a few other random people on the server went red and just started building a bunch of teleporters, sentries, and dispensers.

Eventually some went back to the blue team but there were still three of us. All of a sudden blue guys start spawning right in the middle of the box and get torn to shreds by our turrets. We didn't know what the gently caress was going on but it was hilarious to see. After a little while of this someone on blue said that the spawning might be his fault because he built engineer buildings on the normal spawn points.

Well we began repositioning all our turrets to face directly at the center, we had at least 4. Anyone who died would find themselves facing 4 turrets which resulted in a quick death. One guy in particular got pretty pissed and started calling us fags.

You wouldn't even need to put turrets in the box, then they would just be trapped. I didn't actually see what was set-up to cause this glitch in the map but someone on spectator said that it was engineer buildings.

EDIT:
I just did it by building two teleporters where they spawn.

Isko fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jul 25, 2008

Knan
Jun 8, 2006
idiot
I used to take great pleasure in ruining co-op games of FIFA when playing with a fairly intense friend of mine. Slide tackling him when he had the ball or waiting til we were winning then getting enough red cards to forfeit the match all had him tearing his hair out. Childish i guess, but it made me laugh.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Ericcorp posted:

In MVC2, I got tired of idiots playing all the time with Sentinental/Magneto/Cable.

I used to then just pick Gambit, quickly get a small amount of damage on the enemy, and then perform the bug where you do a Team Cancel followed by a charge down, up kick. Gambit would just off the screen and never come back. If you had more life than the other guy you'd win automatically when the time expired. Usually 60 or 90 seconds.

People would get so mad when I'd do that, but you know what? Too bad. Don't use a broken team and expect me to just sit there while you do Sentinels crap moves back and forth.

Whenever I faced that team, I'd use Servbot/Dan/Roll. The most annoying, useless team in the entire game. Servbot is drat near impossible to hit, and I'd do nothing but jumping taunts with Dan. If I lived long enough to get three energy bars, I'd combo into Dan's version of Akuma's Raging Demon, which does 70% damage to the other guy and 99% damage to Dan. It's fun to pull off out of nowhere and see how much longer I can survive. I always leave enough energy at the end of a round to do a Super Taunt, the best "gently caress You" in the game.

If they catch me in Sentinel's infinite loop, I'll hit their start button and make them taunt to gently caress it up.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 25, 2008

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Glorious thread.

Old MUD crap

Spent too much time when I was younger playing on a variety of hardcore pk muds. The strange thing was, I got onto them with a friend or two almost entirely accidentally. I think maybe we knew someone else at college who ran the place or some poo poo? It wasn't out of some desire to play on a pk mud.

Anyhow, as you might expect, the atmosphere and players on those sorts of places, particularly those run by cheating, rear end in a top hat admins (ie, all) was generally pretty harsh and hostile. Curiously, you also made some very good friends.

I was pretty oblivious to all the jerkishness. It just didn't occur to me to get mad at being ganked repeatedly, or camped, or having all my poo poo stolen. What did I care, it took like 10 minutes to get back into (lovely) gear and go back to bashing rabbits or whatever it was that entertained me.

Strange thing though, sort of inevitably, you wind up learning about advanced clients, scripting, botting, really really fast typing, and a host of other (useless) talents that make you a pretty formidable pk player.

Equally inevitably, you become a crusty, soulless bastard, out only to ruin other peoples entertainment and corpse camp them. So I set out from my warm home to the vast frontiers of Other PK Muds Out There.

First stop was muds that, for whatever reason, hadn't quite closed up a few loopholes in the codebase. I think some of this was demonstrated earlier in the thread - the whole ';stand;remove all;drop all;delete;delete' stuff. This was one step farther - you could perform a similar command break on the mud itself, issuing admin commands, arbitrarily leveling yourself, whatever.

A lot of muds were set up so that your level essentially determined your admin powers, etcetc. Most of those were set up so that they only worked on lower level players. The most used (abused) of these commands were the spy commands, that let admins watch their players cybersex each other, etcetc.

So, we'd seek out low grade pk muds, admin ourselves up to some absurd level, then spy on all the admin staff. We'd be invisible, watching from on high. Anyone we caught being naughty, we'd port in, freeze them, decloak, chide them for abuse of power, kill them, loot them, and then leave. It rarely extended much beyond this, but some of the reactions were priceless - ranging from outraged 'HOW DID YOU HAX MY MUD' to sort of chastised 'I'm so sorry I'm a bad person' repentance.

Bored with that brief entertainment, I then set out to become Feared Evil PKMAN on other pk muds that weren't quite so hardcore. A *lot* of them were just spectacularly lovely, nearly stock codebase and areas, so if you knew one, you knew them all. Most had some horribly imbalanced classes/races/whatever bolted on by the admin staff. Nearly all had a small incestuous community who all knew each other and generally had some sort of established guild lines of battle and code of conduct or whatever the hell. Ripe territory for plunder.

Generally I'd spend a few days leveling on several of these muds at once, just watching the chat and reading the in-game messageboards. This very quickly alerted you to who were horrible drama queens, and who had sweet in-game wives/girlfriends/cybersex pals, whatever. My #1 priority was finding the guy (or 'girl') in the group, kill them, loot their corpse fully, and then camp the respawn room, killing them repeatedly if they stuck their head out.

Some of the muds also had respawn protection that wouldn't drop unless you were attacked first, but that was incredibly easy to circumvent when your targets were carefully chosen - start insulting the eHonor of the blushing eBride, and her white knight had to defend her, or risk losing his cybersex buddy. This resulted in more rape and murder. I think my favorite incidence of this was killing some guys bride, looting her wedding ring, then taunting him with it repeatedly when I logged in over the course of the next week or so.

I'd also get around this by logging in multiple clients and playing two characters at once. On one, I'd attempt to rabble rouse and organize the huddling players into some sort of organized force to take out my evil self, get them out of the safe room, then isolate and kill them each in turn. I'm fairly certain arguing with myself indicates some sort of long standing mental condition.

Oh, these muds also frequently had sleep and charm spells that were, well, about as stupidly overpowered as you'd imagine long before the concepts of 'pvp balance' were on anyones mind. They also often had the ability to drag players from room to room, if they were asleep. I'd often sleep one of the couple, charm the other, force them to derobe, murder them, then drag the sleeping person off to some horrible pit on the mud populated by horrible demons or whatever (or a room with no lights and a locked door).

Some of the muds were also awesome because they'd have stuff like a 200 level progression or whatever, but the actual growth in character power wasn't really relevant because of broken poo poo like sleep/charm, PLUS a combination of really horrible players who just weren't good at combat (very common on the smaller 'pk' muds that didn't actually have a hardcore base of murderers). So you'd get to 50 or so, kill some horrible 200 player, loot all his poo poo, and since the items were often NOT level restricted, you'd suddenly become a god to any lower level players who weren't twinked - ie, the total newbies, who became even easier fodder for repeated ganking.

I got banned from a fair number of these. On a few, people would simply log off or huddle in the safe room if they saw me online. This sucked, so I recruited a friend to log on and act as a spy/friendly newbie. I'd log off, he'd make a new character, ask for directions to some newbie zone, 'get lost' and then ask for directions - while standing in the room I was logged out in. The instant his benefactor turned up, I'd mash login and gank the poor bastard.

Giant loving wall of text eye break

I'm actually sort of glad I had that experience wayyyyyyyy the gently caress back when. When Quake became popular, the sort of fps clan tard dickery that persists to this day didn't even phase me. It was mudding culture in 3d. The transition to horrible mmos was even more of a sideways step.

For some perverse reason, I adore griefing in most of its forms. Generally its a sign that either a) the game is horrible, and/or has poo poo design that needs to be fixed by the developer (many games with poor dev support) or b) the player base is unredeemably lovely, and griefing them is frequently the only way to enjoy the game since playing it straight and maintaining your sanity is nearly impossible (dota, team based fps games without friends, pub dungeon runs in mmos, etcetc)

Plus, I also like the social implications. Good clans/organizations/players who grief incessantly but don't cheat become huge polarizing forces in whatever the community is. You can't have packs of tardly heroes without some villain to slay. I especially like both the hypocrisy and the hysteria this promotes. Seeing 'good' guilds/whatever in games cheat to take down the bad guys and get caught, or believe ANYTHING said about the bad guys is always a hoot.

I'd write some more recent fps stuff, but this is already a giant wall of boring text, so I'll shut up.

camgirl fangirl
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE
A fun but simple prank to pull on ventrilo is to simply find some clan's ventrilo off their website, then go onto it, look for the channel with the most people in it, and simply set a text-to-speech bind that says "Page from <user>". You replace <user> with anybody in the channel. Then they start going "What the gently caress do you want ...?" "Stop loving paging me!" Sometimes they get really angry, and I've gotten people kicked. You have to make sure they're in a game though, if they tab into ventrilo while you're doing it they'll see a big "T" next to your name,, and the gig's up.

If you're really fancy, you can set up the bind so it only plays to one person.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Code Jockey posted:

Hmmm... so something like this?

Watermelon drops, hits path of pusher, pusher fires watermelon out of cannon.

Ohhhh this ought to be fun. I wish I could crank the speed / spawn rate of the spawner up, but I think I'll just create two or three of these linked to the same key.

No one will mess with my suicide cart again. :mad:
Well at least you're trying to be creative now instead of attaching dynamite to peoples props and trying to crash the server like a dick.

Back when multiplayer on garrys mod was new there were a lot of mingebags (newbies) who were very, very dangerous. It's hard to build things but finding the eraser gun was, regrettably, not so hard. While I don't think they all started out with bad intentions they would get very frustrated and usually want to 'help' other people build things by loving up whatever they were doing. Tell them to fuckoff now you have an angry 14-year-old mingebag and he just might erase your poo poo because you wouldn't let him help. So I came up with the simplest solution, build a wall.

I built a 'mingebag barrier' around the spawn point of any map so that anyone that didn't know how to goto console and bind a key to noclip would be stuck. Simple and effective, it worked. But dropping a fence and some containers down got old fast, so instead I worked with a friend and we'd make some more elaborate dungeons, sometimes even with a way out.

Quick example of a barrier I might make, easily mistaken as part of the map if you are new.

There was nothing cuter than watching a mingebag join the server, then start spawning props and trying to stack them so they could climb out. We'd watch them like a rat in a maze, some were impatient and left quickly, others were content with the room given and went to work spawning props and trying to build, and yet others would see airplanes and giant ferris wheels spinning around on the other side and try to find a way out. Sometimes we'd just spawn silly props and throw them into the minge-pit and see what they did with them. The best was when we made a possible exit and watched the mingebags attempts to get out. The ones with the patience to figure a way out were usually pretty cool and happy to have made it into our wonderful safe-haven full of gadgets and gizmos.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

fineX posted:

A fun but simple prank to pull on ventrilo is to simply find some clan's ventrilo off their website, then go onto it, look for the channel with the most people in it, and simply set a text-to-speech bind that says "Page from <user>". You replace <user> with anybody in the channel. Then they start going "What the gently caress do you want ...?" "Stop loving paging me!" Sometimes they get really angry, and I've gotten people kicked. You have to make sure they're in a game though, if they tab into ventrilo while you're doing it they'll see a big "T" next to your name,, and the gig's up.

Teamspeak hijinks:

I forgot about this, but you reminded me. I used to look around for open teamspeak channels. I'd hop in and start playing with the clan. I'd be cool for a few minutes, but keep sasying in game chat that I can't hear anyone, or that I can't speak. I'd get a couple of the less intelligent TS admins to try and help me.

I'd say that you need to high light my name and press "shift A" or something. I forget what it was. But the key combination, when pressed by an admin, would grant you immediate admin rights. No one realized what this would actually do. Once you were an admin you could quickly strip the admin that gave you rights of his admin status, and then clear off all the other admins. I'd wreak havok on their teamspeak by doing things like removing all voice from other players and then blasting jpop over my mike, or changing all the room names. If I recall, admins could ban people, and I probably did that too.

The server would have to get a super admin or something with access to the box to actually end my reign of terror. The best part was that unless you had access to the server admin console, I had to be online to have my rights stripped. So, I'd pop in at wierd times, change all the server settings, and then vanish. It was quite fun. The best part was when I'd get admin rights on competing Planetside outfits and change their server room names to the various unkind things.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Waffle! posted:

Whenever I faced that team, I'd use Servbot/Dan/Roll. The most annoying, useless team in the entire game. Servbot is drat near impossible to hit, and I'd do nothing but jumping taunts with Dan. If I lived long enough to get three energy bars, I'd combo into Dan's version of Akuma's Raging Demon, which does 70% damage to the other guy and 99% damage to Dan. It's fun to pull off out of nowhere and see how much longer I can survive. I always leave enough energy at the end of a round to do a Super Taunt, the best "gently caress You" in the game.

If they catch me in Sentinel's infinite loop, I'll hit their start button and make them taunt to gently caress it up.

Juggernaut has a glitch where if you do his charge hyper combo (F, D, DF + KK) he glows red and does 100% more damage on his next attack. If you charge him up and then swap him out, the game glitches and for the rest of the match he does the increased damage for every move, but no longer glows. People who knew about this glitch and would yell at me when I'd do it in an arcade. People who didn't would just wonder how their team of three Wolverines died in two seconds.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Sanctum posted:

WALLS
Much in the same vein, a lot of servers have noclip enabled, but the ability to fly through other players props is removed. On a map like gm_flatgrass, it's really easy to trap other players with simple cages, etc.

I took it one step further. I'm an OK builder, so I dressed up the construction with some doodads like an elevator and some pipes. It was simply amazing watching people for a good thirty minutes think to themselves "Ok ok, how do I get out. There's got to be a way." instead of instantly realizing that someone just trapped them.

Pictures:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

I don't know about in newer Madden footballs, but in the one on N64 if you were offsides or got an excursion or whatever while the other team was kicking an extra point they just got to rekick it. You could theoretically do this forever. If it still works it might be a ton of fun to do online!

Kcow
Jul 4, 2008

victrix posted:

Glorious thread.

Old MUD crap

These stories were awesome. I especially like how people would cry in the corner when to logged on, you can't level to that kind of power, it is earned.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

fineX posted:

A year or so ago I found a really easy way to find "unlisted" vent servers. If you find a hosting company that post their ips and port ranges, it's not hard. I wish I knew about this back then. One thing I did to mess with people was just idle in their channels recording everything with Audacity, then I'd snip a few certain words or phrases and replay them at odd times. Someone would ask for directions and then get them, and I'd make them ask again 10 minutes later. I once had a whole conversation with some chick on a vent server by playing audio snippets, she kept asking me if I had a cold though.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Nullsmack posted:

A year or so ago I found a really easy way to find "unlisted" vent servers. If you find a hosting company that post their ips and port ranges, it's not hard. I wish I knew about this back then. One thing I did to mess with people was just idle in their channels recording everything with Audacity, then I'd snip a few certain words or phrases and replay them at odd times. Someone would ask for directions and then get them, and I'd make them ask again 10 minutes later. I once had a whole conversation with some chick on a vent server by playing audio snippets, she kept asking me if I had a cold though.

Oh god that's loving awesome :laugh:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

PFlats posted:

This always makes me think of those images that look like something else when turned upside-down.

Edit: And murdering cartoonists for idolatry, of course.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

For those of you who have played "Second Life," how hard (and/or expensive) would it be to create models like those in this thread? I was thinking of recoloring them so friends and I can make a gay pride parade out of it.

I'm not sure how many of you recognize the game Warhammer 40k, but the guys on that forum are some of the worst anal-retentive warhams nerds. Looks like a small group but these are the types of guys who'd respond positively to griefing.

edit: \/\/\/ Bah I meant re-color. Too much effort otherwise.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 26, 2008

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
It'll be very hard if you aren't familiar with how to build objects with prims but if you feel like pushing ahead anyway, here's a helpful wikipedia entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CopyBot

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium
Has anyone mentioned tinker traps from UO yet?

I've got a short looting story from UO:

I had a character that was basically built to be a bastard. His skills were as follows:
GM Hide
GM Stealth
GM Musicianship
GM Provocation
GM Peacemaking
GM Magery
GM Meditation

Basically, I'd stealth around dungeons, provoke monsters onto people, paralyze them so they couldn't run away, then peacemake the monsters so I could loot in peace - in UO, you dropped EVERYTHING in your inventory onto your corpse when you died, including equipped stuff.
Rinse and repeat.
That was fun, but was little more than cheap and easy PKing.

I also used him for falling houses. After a certain period of the owner or friends of a house not using it, the house would "fall". Basically it'd disappear and all of it's contents would fall to the ground, free for anyone to pick up. I had a few tactics at those impromptu events:
1) Simply hide inside the house with my cursor on the best stuff. Frequently people would lock down checks of gold or rare items as decoration. House falls -> I instantly have it in inventory.
2) Gate in monsters to kill the other people waiting around for it to fall. Poison Elementals were the best because they warped to their target, making it impossible to get away on foot and very very hard to get away on horseback. You would time it just right so you gate it as many of these badass mobs as you could right before the house falls. People that had been camping the house for literally hours get obliterated right before the house falls. Remember that this character had Peacemaking skill, so monsters posed literally no threat to him. While everyone else was running around trying not to die, I'd simply hide and wait for them to die or run away, peacemake the monsters, look the player's bodies, then calmly take my pick of the houses' contents.

That was pretty much routine as well. This is the best one using that guy that I remember:

People in UO were crazy about decorating their houses. They'd use very expensive items as a way to sort of show off their wealth. It was commonplace - hell, I'd have a few million gp checks locked down at any give time. I didn't make the mistake that this guy made though...

So occasionally with that looter character, I'd just wander around the gameworld and look for opportunities. I'm somewhere north of the Britain crossroads and see a name popup on incoming names. I dismount, release my horse, and stealth over. I can see a player moving around inside of a medium-sized house (an l-shaped 2-story if you know UO).

The door is locked, of course. I don't even try to open it; it would give me away. I am patient. I wait a few minutes. He leaves - recalls out. Not a few seconds later he re-appears. This time he is outside of the house, because you can't recall into a player-owned structure. He starts to move inside. This is my only chance to get inside. I follow, closely, making sure not to bump him as that would give me away. He quickly opens the door, runs in, and slams it shut behind him. The door in unlocked and relocked automatically and instantly since he has the key on him. I was quicker than him though; I managed to make it in and out of his way before he could slam the door or nudge me.

Now I'm inside. I watch. He is moving things around from chest to chest. You can get glimpses of the items as they move from secure container to secure container, but they are offlimits. It's hardcoded in the game that non-friends can't even LOOK into those containers. He starts to decorate. Pillows and benches and runebooks and tables, they all go flying as he meticulously arranges items. He abruptly recalls out. I take this time to readjust my position to be inside the back room, where he was decorating. He recalls back in.

This time, as he works, he has a weapon equipped. I click on it in idle curiosity. Holy poo poo. A durable supremely accurate silver halbred of vanquishing. [blessed]. This is pretty much the ultimate weapon in UO. There were no "purps" or items that had 50 different stats on them, there were only 4 properties: durability, accuracy (+bonus to your tactics skill, which is a damage modifier skill), damage, and silver/not-silver (double damage vs undead). This thing had the best of every property except the least important: durability. Again, this was God's own weapon. The fact that it's blessed? Increases it's value by 100-fold. Remember what I said earlier: in UO, you drop EVERYTHING when you die, even equipped items - the exceptions being few and far between. A blessed weapon means that you NEVER drop it. Blessed weapons were so very very rare. ...have I made my point about how awesome this thing was?

So I'm sort of awed at this point by the weapon, but I'm not even thinking of it as a target right now. Until he does the unthinkable - he drops it on the floor and locks it down. Now, locked down items can't be picked up by ANYONE unless a house owner unlocks it. When you're decorating, you have the following two lines on macros:
"I wish to lock this down"
"I wish to release this"

You do this as fast as possible because the miniscule time between when the item is placed on the floor or table or whatever and when you hit that macro, anyone can grab that item if they are next to it.

I watch in fascination as he does this procedure several times. I edge closer to his position. He drops the weapon on a table on top of some nightshade; it's quite tastefully decorated. He hits hit macro and right when he is targeting the halbred...

YOINK

Into my bag! Holy poo poo my heart is beating out of my chest. This is my greatest lift ever. Holy poo poo.

He freaks out. He starts tearing his house apart looking for it. He strips down naked and logs in and out. He runs outside and turns on the circle of transparency to see if it dropped under the house. He can't find it. I'm watching him this entire time. His house looks ransacked; all that decorating he did he ripped up trying to find the halbred. Finally he sits still. And sits still. And sits still.

...and a red-robed GM appears in front of him.
GM: "How may I help thee?"
Mark: "I was decorating my house and when I was positioning my blessed vanq hally, it just disappeared. I was hoping you could find it."
GM: "Let me see what I can do"
Me: My screen starts filling up with "you notice GM something peeking into Slye's belongings!"
GM: *Sinks to the ground through the foundation and makes a show of looking for it*
GM: *Rises back to ground level* "I am sorry sir, it is not in or under your house"
Mark: *Rants on about how incompetent and buggy OSI and UO are*
GM: "Good bye"

I then receive a tell from the GM (only staff could send tells):
"That was very wrong of you, but it's not against the rules so I cannot jail you. I am, however, ordering you to leave the premises right now."

I obey, of course. I am a good citizen. The owner is just sort of sitting there not doing anything. It's time for me to leave, so I open up a gate. He looks shocked - as much as UO chars can convey emotion, anyway. I equip the halbred, swing at him (and miss, I had 0 swordsmanship skill), and walk through the gate. I instantly hide on the other side of the gate. He predictably walks through, chasing me. When he comes out the other side, it is dark. He can't see anything really. He casts In Lor - Nightsight. He regains vision. He is in the bottom of dungeon Destard. He is looking at one of two toughest mobs in the game: an elder wyrm. It breathes fire on him and casts energy bolt. He drops dead, instantly. I stealth to him body, pea cemake the monsters, then loot what was on his corpse (not much, just some reagents and potions). I recall home and begin ICQing everyone I know to brag.

Afterword: he could have avoided having his hally taken by performing one of the basic powers of owning or being a friend of a house. When you're on a house's access list, your "detect hidden" skill works 100% of the time and covers the entire house, regardless of actual skill in it. It is a best practice to use the skill every time you enter your house and every time you release an item inside.
I think there was a medium-sized thread on stratics about this, but I didn't participate because I didn't really want to gloat. I do now though :)

That was really loving long, sorry. Hope someone enjoyed it.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Ray_ ... that was amazing. That was absolutely epic. This is what makes me sad that UO isn't around as it once was, and really needs a spiritual successor. Darkfall is that successor if it isn't Vaporware, but who knows about that game. We can only wait.

Thank you again for that awesome story.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Ray_ posted:

:words:

That was pretty awesome. Cool GM, too.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Though it was awesome that he didn't(as he shouldn't) interfere in what he most certainly knew was going on, I find it amusing how the GM essentially tells him that it was wrong of him to steal the halberd... in a game that let's you steal.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GruntyThrst posted:

Cool GM, too.
This makes me wonder, does anyone have any good GM stories of any flavor?

I used to cruise around invis when I was an imm on a MUD, just idly watching people play, but occasionally I'd catch them multiplaying: trying to catch peolpe multiplaying, or interesting gossip, whatever. The multiplayers were the best though. They'd always go waaaayyyy out into the middle of nowhere, or into the most isolated, desoalte room within city limits, and then hide big piles of stuff on a rat or in a box or a birdnest, etc. Being an imm, it was my job to prevent people from doing this, and report them for potential level demotion or sitebanning, depending on how severe the multiplaying was (generally you only got sitebanned for epeat attempts or for cross-racewars banking/trading.)

So I'd eat all the equipment except for one item, then hang around till the guy showed up on his alt, did a "get all" from wherever he'd secreted his possessions, and laugh silently while he realized it was all totally vanished. Sometimes they'd simply walk away, assuming that someone had stolen their stash, sometimes they'd emote and say random stuff that was pretty amusing. Never did they complain in global channels, for obvious reasons (but you'd occasionally get the "has anyone picked up a sword of backbreaking? my little brother/i got disarmed/accidentally dropped it") and so they'd be stuck without recompense or any way of doing anything. I was almost sad for them.

Then I'd snap back into visibility and 1shot them causing them to lose a level, and PST them to not try and cheat. v:)v

digitaldorkism
Dec 16, 2003

by Fistgrrl

GruntyThrst posted:

Or they could bomb it using yarmulke-shaped UFOs. The signal to attack could be torah torah torah. :jewish:

If anyone is really planning on doing this I will download secondlife and jump in. We need someone to make a standard avatar to make them mad, I think just masks of the Muhammed with a bomb on. We can wear them like Fawkes masks.

Casual Epic
Jul 16, 2008

coyo7e posted:

Mouthy Mage
Back when the flash/ie javascript keyloggers were rampant, a good number of my WoW guild members had their accounts hijacked. This cause a ton of inconvenience and frustration among the members as well as a healthy amount of paranoia.

One day a priest who had been hijacked *and server transferred* was having his crafting skills reset to their previous professions by a GM who had logged into his account. Seeing the spam of gold sparkly effects on my friend (who's account I thought might have been gone for good) immediately cued me into something being amiss.

I send him a tell and get a response with "This is [GM]Azrith, just restoring some of the data and items on your friend's account". Previously I didn't realize that this could be done but it makes sense that you could elevate a player account to GM status and lock the password if you needed to see what the character's stats were firsthand.

I'm not sure why the GM chose this route but I decided to ask him if he could see our guild chat and he said of course. This was a bit embarrassing as a 14 year old kid who often runs his mouth way past when it's funny was ragging on how useless GMs are and they never fix anything.

I asked him if he could demote him and told him that the guild leader wouldn't mind a bit. Or at least warn this little mage in guild chat to stop his whinging. The GM wouldn't demote him, even after the guild leader sent him a tell saying it was OK.

So I started white knighting GMs and telling the GM that he should stick up for himself and that he obviously was doing his job quite well at the moment. Bitchy mage just keeps on digging his hole asserting that all WoW GMs are 12 year old Chinese slaves chained to their chairs that resort to poop socking whenever possible.

This was apparently the last straw for the GM.
"Guild Chat: [GM]Azrith: Blizzard as a company denies the existence of child labor being used to staff our customer service department."

A pretty epic sense of humor that absolutely blind sided the kid and had him logging out in paranoia and hopping on vent almost crying, afraid about being banned.

We told the GM this and he seemed rather amused and hung around for a bit. He chatted in guild chat a bit about password security (standard boilerplate text that was probably good for our members to see again) and other vanilla topics before logging off and giving us back our restored priest.

Anything groundbreaking? No, but it sure was a nice mindfuck for the lippy 14 year old.

I'll Get the Popcorn
A few weeks after the release of the Burning Crusade expansion in WoW, I was in a raiding organization that was working on the final boss of the first 10 man dungeon.

The Prince (the last boss) had this horrible show-stopping bug that would make him unattackable for the rest of the night if he tried to aggro on someone that he could not path to. To make matters worse, the door to the area you fight him in is a mess of Picasso-esque geometry that would make Escher ask for some warm milk and a cot. Despite warnings to the contrary, veteran raiders would always retreat to the door to make wipe recovery easier.

And this is how the prince became completely unable to be engaged for us. After the initial groans and complaints we strolled with the thirty foot high blue skinned demon around his terrace and got the obligatory screen shots that were later set to a youtube music video of "You've got a friend in me".

So the GM was paged to ask if he could fix this. He had a few suggestions but we'd tried them all already. This was when the raid leader came up with an idea. There was one mob a few floors down a windy spiral staircase that was still alive. "Was the Prince social?" was the question she posed to the GM.

Social means that the mob will aggro anything nearby if another monster within his range is in an aggro state. The GM pauses. So if we kite the face melting Flesh Beast up to meet the Prince, will we be able to engage him?

The GM joined the raid chat and simply stated "I want to watch this."

Cheers go up in the vent server as we make a 10 man chain of tasty sacrifices for the flesh beast to follow up to the prince. Being on my priest at the time, I was the last person in the chain. Due to bad luck and bad timing, the Prince was at the back of his room (about 125 yards in length) when the beast broke through the door (not until after flipping sideways and getting stuck in mid-air for a two second pause).

The last of the three shamans died and I was still about 30 yards from the prince when the Beast was on me. It managed to miss me with a melee attack three times in a row as I brought him up to the Prince. And then we hear the Prince's aggro emote.

Another cheer goes up and we're all dead but still congratulating ourselves that we'll be able to try the boss a few more times tonight.

The GM pipes up one last time in raid chat "That was amazing!"

I believe that one of the CSRs on the forums the next day posted this as a work-around for the unattackable Prince issue.

Casual Epic fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 26, 2008

Virxas
Apr 1, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Way back in the first days of UO, I recall GMs being fairly prompt and interacting with people, though I heard that the growing playerbase and just having to constantly deal with the masses of idiots made the GMs both less available and less inclined to help.

I was with a group at the orc fort by Cove in my first few days of the game, and a GM just randomly came by as a bright green dragon, dropping all sorts of monsters and stuff for us, and chatted for a bit. Another time I got killed in Hythloth in a room full of monsters, and when I tried to leave, my ghost got stuck trying to get up the stairs. I paged and a few minutes later a GM showed up, and deleted all the monsters to find my body, gave me my stuff back, and teleported me to Britain, which was way above and beyond what they're expected to do.

And to fit the topic with stories of griefing, I mentioned in an earlier post that one of the admins on a private server I played on would grief other admins and players, although it wasn't really intentionally griefing for the most part, which was rather amusing. This admin had a character he had pumped up to godly levels with incredible stats and equipment. He'd run "quests" which basically involved him showing how awesome he was. Sometimes it was by talking about how awesome he was and discussing his amazing past and either hinting that he was the Avatar from the single-player games or that he was a secret companion of the Avatar. Other times it was by taking us to where he had built his house and had the Silver Tree of Life growing in his yard, or by spawning tons of powerful daemons at the bank and announcing a quest there, and everyone that recalled or gated in was killed, after which he would show up and slaughter the daemons easily and resurrect the players.

Plenty of times he'd show up on the quests being run by GMs and he'd casually kill the powerful monster or big villain of the quest arc or otherwise insert himself into the quest to demonstrate how powerful he was. At one point, a couple of players, a necromancer and a sorceress who weren't in the heroic crowd that most players fell into were on their secluded island discussing their plans and opposition to Lord British, when this admin hears them because he had a GM command active that let him hear all speech in the game. So he teleports up to them, tells them, "I hath sensed thy treachury", and slaughters them on the spot.

He'd also intentionally grief players by following them around using GM commands to heal monsters they were fighting, or to delete the corpses of the monsters before they could be looted. He started doing this one time when I was in a dungeon, and I soon saw a message from a monster using area attack spells that told me I saw the monster attacking him. When I called him out, he vehemently denied it was him, saying he'd been playing "frisbee" with some other GMs until I called him out. Later he'd accuse me of hacking, as how else would I know it was him when he had used a GM command to be invisible.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007
I really missed out on the days of UO, from the sound of it.

Virxas
Apr 1, 2007

Algernon Quazar posted:

I really missed out on the days of UO, from the sound of it.

It's still around, but yeah. A lot of the fun was just all the things you could do with/to other people. Using ICQ to coordinate fake quests impersonating GMs and tricking people was fun. UO did have a lot of problems. Terrible lag and bugginess. Lots of balance problems. And of course, the problems stemming from a largely retarded playerbase. There were all sorts of issues, but MMOs since then have mostly taken the worst and most dull and tedious aspects of UO like grinding for skills and stats and items, and made them the focus of the gameplay, while stripping out the bits that showed promise.

I suppose they decided that what people really wanted in an MMO was to do "quests" to kill x numbers of increasingly strong critters and camp bosses to get "unique" items, rather than interact with each other in conflicting or cooperating groups in a dangerous world. Which, judging from the growth of MMOs, was apparently a good direction to go, but I find it soul-crushingly dull. There have been some gestures in the direction I'd prefer, but not remotely near enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phizzle
Aug 12, 2004
heh heh BONERS
I don't really remember how this happened but it was pretty funny at the time:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aBCppC1qy1A

• Locked thread