Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
DOTA is serious business. You want to grief? Make fun of people for being bad. Just one line will be enough. And then... this ensues. Okay, technically, I said two lines.

Click here for the full 980x1933 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrenochrome
Nov 22, 2007

by mons all madden
I'd just turned 60 on my priest and teamed up with a 60 hunter to finish a quest in Hellfire Peninsula. As we worked our way through the area, I noticed a lone dwarf warrior, same level as me, working on probably the same quest. I shrugged it off moved on. On our way back after finishing, I passed the same warrior.

I suck at world PvP and the only time I get to gank people is when they're 30 levels below me. I wasn't about to pass up this golden opportunity, especially because he was in a heated battle with 3 equal level mobs and he was clearly at a disadvantage.

I began taunting the warrior with emotes, laughing at him and threatening him with doom as he was busy fighting off a group of mobs slowly wearing down his health. The hunter is long gone since he gets to gank people all the time unlike me :( .

As soon as his health hit 10%, I began attacking him. Griefing at its best! But somehow, I watched in horror as his health bar filled up all the way again. The fucker actually managed to gain a level from the one last guy he killed, in the process gaining all his health back, then proceeded to kill me mercilessly as the hunter was trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

I waited to see if the warrior would do or say anything. He just stood there. Probably in as much shock as I was at what had just happened.

Adrenochrome fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 30, 2008

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Adrenochrome posted:

I waited to see if the warrior would do or say anything. He just stood there. Probably in as much shock as I was at what had just happened.

Actually he probably knew exactly what was going to happen and just decided that it would be much more satisfying if he didn't taunt you but just let you think about what happened for a bit.

Don't wait next time :D

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Adrenochrome posted:

Losing in WOW

I'm going to assume you were a holy priest. You can't be THAT bad at world PvP. Please say you were a holy priest.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Slime posted:

I'm going to assume you were a holy priest. You can't be THAT bad at world PvP. Please say you were a holy priest.

Hey man holy priests have a huge advantage 1v1 vs a warrior at that lvl

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
Announcer Jim is hilarious. He reminds me of the announcer from Rock & Roll Racing.

Here's a video I found in the Youtube thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYSMrA3J9tU

When an admin found someone hacking in TF2, they set them to do 0 damage when attacking, and they instagib when they take any damage, so they gib when they fall.

Hilarious.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

quote:

Announcer Jim is hilarious. He reminds me of the announcer from Rock & Roll Racing.

I loved that guy.

"Tarquin should AVOID mines!"

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

chairface posted:

I loved that guy.

"Tarquin should AVOID mines!"

"Snake scores a first place KNOCKOUT!"
"Tarquin Finishes second"
"Olaf takes a weak third"
"Jake is in another TIME ZONE!"

crandnew
Jul 5, 2008

Too Hot for the Hot Tub
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aOL4MGkH1w

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

That videos been posted on the page before this by Moetic Justice

Zyste
Jan 8, 2002

"Do you want this back?"
This reminded me of griefing my friend on cs_italy. I went into his dorm room and replaced the music file for the radio in the house with the song from this commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIfUo91ZrFQ
(it's the "I wanna gently caress you in the rear end" song)

He wouldn't go anywhere near the house, and it cost him a few rounds because of it.

Also, in Warcraft III playing Night Elves in 3v3, I built nothing but protectors, then uprooted them and walked them into an enemy base. After a couple of buildings were destroyed, he swore at me and quit the server. His two teammates quit soon after. One of my teammates called me an rear end in a top hat, the other just laughed.

Zyste fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 30, 2008

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1
Jul 30, 2004

by elpintogrande

Fatrick posted:

When an admin found someone hacking in TF2, they set them to do 0 damage when attacking, and they instagib when they take any damage, so they gib when they fall.

Hilarious.

This is great. totally loving brilliant. loving love it.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fatrick posted:

Hilarious.

I don't get the point of hacking in FPSes. There's not really a reward like if you did it to level or kill people in an MMO. You just get banned and sometimes locked out from most servers

Spirit Tree
Jan 22, 2007
Photosynthesising

Girdox posted:

I don't get the point of hacking in FPSes. There's not really a reward like if you did it to level or kill people in an MMO. You just get banned and sometimes locked out from most servers
Half the server squeals at you and you get to kill a server. Waste of effort though.

Adrenochrome
Nov 22, 2007

by mons all madden

Slime posted:

I was shadow and the guy just took me by surprise. Do you want a medal because you're better at world PvP than someone who is leveling a priest for the first time? :confused:

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Zyste posted:

Also, in Warcraft III playing Night Elves in 3v3, I built nothing but protectors, then uprooted them and walked them into an enemy base. After a couple of buildings were destroyed, he swore at me and quit the server. His two teammates quit soon after. One of my teammates called me an rear end in a top hat, the other just laughed.

If you go down to the woods today, you're in for a big surprise: The woods will meet you on the way.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Announcer Jim basically turns every game into a slightly ruder version of Smash TV. And I love him for it. Good show.

Mugshot
Feb 21, 2005

Sweet Illusion,
Sweet Confusion
I got on SL as a spider for a bit. Went to a gothic dance club and just stood there. The response - people jumping on me, dancing around me, and petting me. I seemed to anti-grief. Then someone with a web-gun started shooting people and I got blamed for it. Strange.

Mugshot fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 31, 2008

King of the Cosmos
Jun 6, 2004

Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto.
Back when City of Villains came out, I found this guy who made a character named "Daniel Radcliffe". That's the actor who plays Harry Potter. Here's the ensuing conversation and me relentlessly making fun of him.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

EDIT: As an added bonus, check out the top right of my screen inside the status bar. The lightning bolt was the symbol for the Goon SG I was in at the time, which makes this all the sweeter.

Also, people were talking about trapping other players in the towers that dotted some the hazard zones in CoH. Here's one screenshot(Note, this one isn't from one of my characters):

Click here for the full 749x254 image.

King of the Cosmos fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 31, 2008

primo box
Nov 24, 2004
The Halo 3 Plasma Pistol is probably the best griefing weapon ever. For anyone unfamiliar, it's basically impossible to kill anybody with it, but you can make people vulnerable to a one-shot death from pretty much any other weapon. On top of that, if you shoot a vehicle, it takes down all of the riders' shields and disables the vehicle for a good 3 - 4 seconds. And you can just keep on doing this until you run out of ammo.

It's so simple, yet it infuriates people. And every once in a while, something grand happens like it did last night when I was doing this:

http://www.gamevee.com/viewVideo/Halo_3/GeeVee/Minor_H3_Griefing/398836

CzarStark
Dec 23, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Thunder Malloy posted:

It's so simple, yet it infuriates people. And every once in a while, something grand happens like it did last night when I was doing this:

That ending has Yakety Sax written all over it. Brilliant.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Thunder Malloy posted:

Holy crap, that was great. Are you penalized for teamkilling in Halo 3?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Now THAT is perfect griefing. That couldn't have worked out better/worse.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Thunder Malloy posted:

The Halo 3 Plasma Pistol is probably the best griefing weapon ever. For anyone unfamiliar, it's basically impossible to kill anybody with it, but you can make people vulnerable to a one-shot death from pretty much any other weapon. On top of that, if you shoot a vehicle, it takes down all of the riders' shields and disables the vehicle for a good 3 - 4 seconds. And you can just keep on doing this until you run out of ammo.

So good an ending I'm tempted to suspect it was staged. :D

Kamoc
Oct 8, 2003

You cannot eat a purse.
There was a point in World of Warcraft where if you were playing in a battleground as a druid/shaman/hunter, the game would gently caress up and instead of allowing you the normal range of 2-3 yards for tapping a flag, you were allowed something like 1,000 yards. This proved to be quite useful in pissing people off in Alterac Valley, where I would hide behind the gates of the enemy base and spam-steal their graveyard. By the end I had something like 40 flag captures, causing 4 people to make characters on my server specifically to tell me the horrors of what my mother does for a living. I was told that the entire opposing team had reported me, but nothing ever came of it.

Mind controlling people to their deaths on a zeppelin is always fun too; waiting for another zeppelin is such a pain in the rear end that it always generates a good "gently caress U human being DIE".

primo box
Nov 24, 2004

Cat Machine posted:

Holy crap, that was great. Are you penalized for teamkilling in Halo 3?

You aren't penalized any points, but if the same person teamkills you 2 (maybe 3?) times, you are given the option to boot them. Usually whenever I'm pestering people, they'll start to teamkill me on sight remarkably fast considering doing so gives me the power to kick them out of the game. But I never do, because where's the fun in that?

Jetsetlemming posted:

So good an ending I'm tempted to suspect it was staged. :D

When it happened, I couldn't believe it myself. I couldn't play for a good few minutes because I was laughing so hard.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
For anyone not familiar with Warcraft 3, 3v3 and 4v4 games have always been pretty much a complete joke. I used to play competitively in 1v1 and 2v2 formats, but occasionally a few friends/clan members and I would get together to grief the larger formats - which some people still took very seriously.

Cops and Robbers

Cops and Robbers was probably the best way to play War3 ever. It involved either 3v3 or 4v4 teams and generally large amounts of alcohol. All players on the team would go Human using names like TheFiveOH, LaMIGRA, theMAN, etc. Each player on the team would then take a very specific role: I would set up the Police Barricades (huge walls of mass towers across the map) and mobilize the Squad Cars (mass seige tanks for instant base destruction and to block for the towers) while running the Sherrif (Mountain King hero). Another player would control the Police Choppers (gnomish flying machines) and the Deputy (Paladin hero). A third would have something like the Riot Squad (defending footmen) or Border Patrol (mass rifelmen), etc. No one would make anything other than their designated unit.

The best part was that we would then roleplay our job, which included using the "Police Radio". This meant everything we did was announced in All-Chat so both sides could read it, including attack plans, setup perogatives, blockade erections, etc. Generally for the first 5-10 minutes of the game opponents would assume we were just loving around until realizing that our actions perfectly corresponded with our radio announcements.

We would actually research and work actual police terms into the radio chatter, especially codes for transgressions and responses. It was pretty hardcore.

The reason Cops and Robbers worked so well, though, was because we were actually really, really good at the game. Despite announcing our intentions, having a terrible strategy, and using horrible unit mixes, we would almost always win. This would really upset 90% of our opponents, who assumed (rightly so) that we were basically taunting them. We would basically stall/creep while towering up the map, expanding all over, and wrecking buildings with gyrocopters before rolling in with 20 or so 3/3 steamtanks split between 3 bases.

One day we were playing Cops and Robbers and we beat a team of players with [SA] and [lljk] in their names. Apparently they thought it was hilarious, because one of them bought me this account.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Adrenochrome posted:

I was shadow and the guy just took me by surprise. Do you want a medal because you're better at world PvP than someone who is leveling a priest for the first time? :confused:
I suspect that part of the reason he was being so snarky to you, is that your story was the opposite of a griefing story; you sucked, you got killed, end of story.

That story doesn't really belong in this thread. You emoted at someone a couple times, they killed you. Big deal.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Thunder Malloy posted:

Well, I know what I'm doing tonight. It would be awesome to hold both teams hostage on a large map by getting guys in on both teams to do this. Unfortunately, the plasma pistol doesn't work on the elephant in Sandtrap.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bovineicide posted:

Well, I know what I'm doing tonight. It would be awesome to hold both teams hostage on a large map by getting guys in on both teams to do this. Unfortunately, the plasma pistol doesn't work on the elephant in Sandtrap.
No, but it's awfully fun to steal the elephant and drive it the opposite direction that anyone asks you to. Flipping it is cool too, but it's easy to turn it back over.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Thunder Malloy posted:

... It's so simple, yet it infuriates people. And every once in a while, something grand happens like it did last night when I was doing this:

I don't play Halo so I don't get it. What happened? Did he try to grenade you?

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

fondue posted:

I don't play Halo so I don't get it. What happened? Did he try to grenade you?

Yes, and the grenade stuck, resulting in a double betrayal suicide. It would have been great if the victim was kicked.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Bovineicide posted:

Yes, and the grenade stuck, resulting in a double betrayal suicide. It would have been great if the victim was kicked.

He threw a sticky at Thunder Malloy, but Thunder was melee'd in the back by the first griefee just before that, so the grenade stuck to the first griefee who then ran forward into the grenade-thrower, killing them both.

Edit: And a third person throws their frag grenade in there for good measure. Fantastic.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Pleads posted:

He threw a sticky at Thunder Malloy, but Thunder was melee'd in the back by the first griefee just before that, so the grenade stuck to the first griefee who then ran forward into the grenade-thrower, killing them both.

Edit: And a third person throws their frag grenade in there for good measure. Fantastic.

Apparently I need my eyes checked. Isn't there some device you can plug into your 360 controller to capture voicechat? I remember seeing something for that at Gamestop a while ago, but didn't have the money at the time.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Pleads posted:

I thought the frag grenade you are referencing was actually the mongoose blowing up. :v:

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
I don't think this guy has been mentioned yet, by far my favorite griefing stories have come from this site, and in my opinion he is much funnier and a way bigger dick than the other UO griefers I've seen mentioned so far.

http://www.spleens.net/

(Click shots on the left)

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Soulpudding posted:

One day we were playing Cops and Robbers and we beat a team of players with [SA] and [lljk] in their names. Apparently they thought it was hilarious, because one of them bought me this account.

Further proof that goons aren't made, they're born. :iamafag:

I would also like to second WoW Mind Control griefing. A friend of mine had something he would call "shark attack" that he would do in Booty Bay. He would sit pvp-flagged at the top of th highest overlook while a dozen of his guildies would wait in the water below. When someone pvp-flagged came close, he would mind control them, walk them off the edge, and then jump off himself. The other player would be instantly devoured by the "Sharks" waiting below, and because the NPC guards had to run all the way down and around to get into the water, by the time they actually got to the water they would have ran far enough to trigger the "no kiting" response and they'd run back. Rinse and repeat.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Kamoc posted:

Mind controlling people to their deaths on a zeppelin is always fun too; waiting for another zeppelin is such a pain in the rear end that it always generates a good "gently caress U human being DIE".

One of my fonder WoW memories is dropping a Psychic Scream (AoE fear) on a hunter 5 levels above me that wouldn't stop asking to duel. I waited until the zeppelin was getting ready to leave, then accepted the duel. Neither hunter nor pet resisted the fear, both ran over the edge.

Anyone have a link to the big griefing thread from a couple years ago? I think it might have been GBS instead of Games, but it had plenty of awesome stories. My favorite was the guy in one of the FPS games who ran over people in a jeep while jerking his mouse back and forth to make it look like he was hitting his head on the horn.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

Hello Sailor posted:

Anyone have a link to the big griefing thread from a couple years ago? I think it might have been GBS instead of Games, but it had plenty of awesome stories. My favorite was the guy in one of the FPS games who ran over people in a jeep while jerking his mouse back and forth to make it look like he was hitting his head on the horn.

Found it, loading to youtube now

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stIy8_uTQgU

This may not be the video you're thinking of, but it's the original "headbangin' in 1942" video from way back when. Not really much of a griefing video, but still amusing.

Fatrick fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 1, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Fatrick posted:

Found it, loading to youtube now

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stIy8_uTQgU

This may not be the video you're thinking of, but it's the original "headbangin' in 1942" video from way back when. Not really much of a griefing video, but still amusing.

Agreed, very amusing :)

• Locked thread