Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not wearing any pants. Film at 11!

Guinness posted:

The lack of sideview mirror, and also the rear wheel almost looks like it is sitting too far forward in the wheel well.

But even still, you're right that something seems vaguely off. :psyduck:

The white dashboard???

Or maybe it's just that the image is compressed a bit. It looks a lot like when you try to squeeze an 1024px wide image into a space thats only 800px wide. It makes the car look a bit squished together...

bladernr fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 8, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
gently caress... how the heck did I double post?

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

willd58 posted:

What are the specs of your car?

2300lb with a full tank of gas, about 235whp, mabye 270ish at the crank. Stock internals, BEGI manifold/DP, small T25 turbo, and a standalone controlling everything. 14psi on pump gas. The car went 13.75 at 100mph this week with a 2.21 60' on street tires, so with launch control, my normal R-compound tires, and no headwind, it should go 13.3-13.4 at 103+.

Guinness posted:

I think it's just the enormous wheels and the angle.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Guinness posted:

The lack of sideview mirror, and also the rear wheel almost looks like it is sitting too far forward in the wheel well.

The wheels are quite large. Which makes the rear wheel seem further forward. I see it in all Miatas.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

bladernr posted:

The white dashboard???

Hah, I hadn't even noticed. Weird!

Ziploc posted:

The wheels are quite large. Which makes the rear wheel seem further forward. I see it in all Miatas.

This is proof positive that anything larger than 15" wheels, MAYBE 16" just looks ridiculous on Miatas.

Willie D
Dec 29, 2006

by Ozma

Savington posted:

2300lb with a full tank of gas, about 235whp, mabye 270ish at the crank. Stock internals, BEGI manifold/DP, small T25 turbo, and a standalone controlling everything. 14psi on pump gas. The car went 13.75 at 100mph this week with a 2.21 60' on street tires, so with launch control, my normal R-compound tires, and no headwind, it should go 13.3-13.4 at 103+.

I think it's just the enormous wheels and the angle.

I'd always heard that stock internals were good for 250hp before they went, along with the clutch. I'm really tempted to go turbo, I think the cost of doing so over here and me being mechanically inept may make it less economically sensible compared to just saving up for something like a Z4M.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Guinness posted:

Yeah, it's not the mirror. Something is making it look, I dunno, wider? Boxier? I can't quite put my finger on it.

fake edit: Wait, I got it. It's the combination of the huge wheels and the shadows in the image concealing your rocker panels (which are black), making the car look an odd shape.

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.

Guinness posted:

Hah, I hadn't even noticed. Weird!

This is proof positive that anything larger than 15" wheels, MAYBE 16" just looks ridiculous on Miatas.

I have stock 16" wheels and they look fine. It could probably do with lowering an inch or two but it doesn't bother me enough to mess with my ride quality right now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FEAR THE NUG
Jul 2, 2008

angor posted:

I had a really hard time driving an NB. My knees were hitting the wheel at every turn. I'm only 6'1" and 185lbs, and I found it to be quite cramped. Great car though.

Also, if anyone is looking to buy an NC, mine is for sale :(
Well there goes my hopes... 6'2 205 lbs.. Oh well I'll find something.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

FEAR THE NUG posted:

Im about an inch taller than you an 30 lbs heavier and I fit just fine in my NA. The only change I would make is to add a steering wheel adjustment, but I manage just fine.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Slothophile posted:

I have stock 16" wheels and they look fine. It could probably do with lowering an inch or two but it doesn't bother me enough to mess with my ride quality right now.
NA's max wheel should be 16, some NB's look alright with 17's

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

FEAR THE NUG posted:

If you find you can't fit in any Miata, check out some old MR2s (blasphemy!)--I had some giant friends that seemed to fit in them [mine] just fine.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

FEAR THE NUG posted:

It's all about proportions. I'm 6'4" and 260 and I fit fine. I fit fine even when I was 300. You have to sit in one.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.
Might it be the big wheels? The PO put on 16s, I don't know if I like them.

edit: hey whoops there was a whole other page there

Also is that white instrument panel cover and radio bezel thing an option or did some past owner do that?

GoblinBomb fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 9, 2008

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Has anybody put rear speakers on the shelf where the soft top lies? I'm going to be potentially getting rid of the softtop, and buckets are just a matter of time. I'm just curious to see if anybody has put some 6.5"ers up top.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Something that I just realized while I was talking performance mods with my brother (who has my old E34 535i).

I've never seen ECU flashes/chips discussed in regard to Miata performance gains (short of a total DIY ECU like MegaSquirt). I realize that chips lead to the largest benefit on FI motors, but there are definitely some NA cars that see huge gains with chips (like the previously mentioned 535i).

Is the B6/BP ECU really already "tweaked", so to speak? They're pretty notorious for running rich (like most Mazdas), are they not? Couldn't a chip potentially eek a bit of performance and fuel efficiency out of the motor without harming anything?

I assume there's just no realistic gains to be made, but does someone have any more concrete info other than "lol not worth it"?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Guinness posted:

Something that I just realized while I was talking performance mods with my brother (who has my old E34 535i).

I've never seen ECU flashes/chips discussed in regard to Miata performance gains (short of a total DIY ECU like MegaSquirt). I realize that chips lead to the largest benefit on FI motors, but there are definitely some NA cars that see huge gains with chips (like the previously mentioned 535i).

Is the B6/BP ECU really already "tweaked", so to speak? They're pretty notorious for running rich (like most Mazdas), are they not? Couldn't a chip potentially eek a bit of performance and fuel efficiency out of the motor without harming anything?

I assume there's just no realistic gains to be made, but does someone have any more concrete info other than "lol not worth it"?

I suspect it's just that most people just adjust the timing manually rather than chipping an NA miata engine. People have definitely gotten more power out of loving with the timing.

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
From "How to tune and modify Engine Management Systems" -

http://books.google.com/books?id=ze...num=1&ct=result

Techtom is available for the miata from 90 to 95 -

Pricing for techtom is at http://www.neetronics.com/neet/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23&Itemid=28&PHPSESSID=7a8aad6b4e6212faee1ca65ce0390c07

$610 to $1,100

Megasquirt unassembled - $200, and has a shitload more features.

Also found an old thread on miata.net - eeprom in the ECU is more rom than eep. The Techtom kit probably includes a replacement eeprom.

As it stands, I think the diyautotune guys got 7 more HP when they were testing their Megasquirt PNP vs. stock - so I doubt there's much more to tune, and as was mentioned, that gain was probably just a spark advance.

Another edit - found a more recent thread at m.net - http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=226162&page=13&pp=25

Looks like they finally cracked the majority of it .. 4 months ago.

iscariot fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 13, 2008

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Racing Chip - 1000 CR
103HP -> 107HP

Dicker
Sep 1, 2006
This is a video from the all miata (okay we had one MR-S and one V8 RX7, but they're cool guys) drift/grip event at horse theif mile. you can see my car at 1:03, which of course means I am now internet famous and would like to collect my check.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9jyUvD-M6E

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Phone posted:

Has anybody put rear speakers on the shelf where the soft top lies? I'm going to be potentially getting rid of the softtop, and buckets are just a matter of time. I'm just curious to see if anybody has put some 6.5"ers up top.

Two 8" subs in the parcel shelf. You don't even have to get rid of the soft top!

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
So today I learned the downside of having a convertible. Some dudes thought it would be hilarious to throw an open soda can at me and speed off. :sigh:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

GoblinBomb posted:

So today I learned the downside of having a convertible. Some dudes thought it would be hilarious to throw an open soda can at me and speed off. :sigh:

Couldn't be any worse than somebody flicking a lit cigarette.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004

Phone posted:

Couldn't be any worse than somebody flicking a lit cigarette.

Why would somebody do that?

I was super mad about the soda but now I'm just kinda bummed that they did it. At least it didn't get into the upholstery, just on the dash and my leg.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Why would somebody do that? Well, what would convince somebody to turn left onto a highway onramp without yielding and then go 35mph? The cigarette luckily hit the windscreen, but it could have been bad times for the girl in the passenger seat.

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006

GoblinBomb posted:

That's what cell phones and 911 are for. It may seem a bit silly, but tossing ANYTHING into or at a moving vehicle is a fairly serious crime. I don't think it hits Felony territory, but it's usually a bit more than a $20 fine.

Most places consider it "launching a missile into an occupied vehicle, and they usually use that to cover everything from sodas and cigarette butts to bricks, rocks and so on.

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.

bladernr posted:

That's what cell phones and 911 are for. It may seem a bit silly, but tossing ANYTHING into or at a moving vehicle is a fairly serious crime. I don't think it hits Felony territory, but it's usually a bit more than a $20 fine.

Most places consider it "launching a missile into an occupied vehicle, and they usually use that to cover everything from sodas and cigarette butts to bricks, rocks and so on.

What we need is some kind of miniaturised Phalanx system on the parcel shelf to destroy any rapidly approaching objects.

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005
Ask me about the normal profile of a rape victim! The normal profile of a rape victim! The normal profile of a RAPE victim! THE NORMAL PROFILE OF A RAPE VICTIM! NORMAL PROFILE! RAPE VICTIM! NORMAL PROFILE! RAPE VICTIM!

(I only rape women under 30 though!)
My clutch became very light today. At first when I pressed the clutch it required extra effort to engage the gears, then just as I was near home it became next to impossible. I stumbled home in 5th.

I'm pretty sure I need to replace the clutch but wanted AI's opinion. If so would $500-$600 be a reasonable repair estimate?

Gear Head fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 25, 2008

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001

Gear Head posted:

My clutch became very light today. At first when I pressed the clutch it required extra effort to engage the gears, then just as I was near home it became next to impossible. I stumbled home in 5th.

I'm pretty sure I need to replace the clutch but wanted AI's opinion. If so would $500-$600 be a reasonable repair estimate?

Before you go on a clutch hunt, replace the slave cylinder. It's $36 for a new one, and can be swapped in your driveway. When mine failed, I would have to pump the clutch a few times before I shifted.

Actually - check your fluids first.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Gear Head posted:

You might want to check the master and slave travel first. A worn clutch shouldn't effect shifting.

e:fb.... by 8 mins :downs:

TheLastManStanding fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 25, 2008

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, check your clutch master cylinder reservoir - you're probably out, and the culprit 99.9% of the time in Miatas is the slave cylinder. Cheap and easy fix, both mine and my sister-in-law's have had it fail.

If you absolutely need to drive it somewhere, you can usually top off the clutch fluid and get going again for a while.

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005
Ask me about the normal profile of a rape victim! The normal profile of a rape victim! The normal profile of a RAPE victim! THE NORMAL PROFILE OF A RAPE VICTIM! NORMAL PROFILE! RAPE VICTIM! NORMAL PROFILE! RAPE VICTIM!

Alright AI, as always thanks for the advice. I'm guessing the symptoms I described weren't that uncommon. I'll look into the master/slave cylinders today.

e: I didn't mention that it was a '93 NA Miata, that doesn't make a difference does it?

Gear Head fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 25, 2008

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
I ordered a Bosal replacement exhaust from autopartsway.ca and it arrived today. It's just standard aluminizer pipe and I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to paint it with some high temp black for that little extra rust protection?

Exhaust in question http://www.autopartsway.ca/autoparts2/index.cfm?fetch=part~ID=1990~Mazda~Miata~241069

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Suniikaa posted:

I ordered a Bosal replacement exhaust from autopartsway.ca and it arrived today. It's just standard aluminizer pipe and I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to paint it with some high temp black for that little extra rust protection?

Exhaust in question http://www.autopartsway.ca/autoparts2/index.cfm?fetch=part~ID=1990~Mazda~Miata~241069

If you live where it snows you might as well, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Edit: in other news my catalytic converter needs replacing before my next smog test which will be in 2 more years hopefully. Passed N0x by 3 points on my last smog test.

FireTora fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 25, 2008

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Gear Head posted:

e: I didn't mention that it was a '93 NA Miata, that doesn't make a difference does it?
Nope, not at all. Yank your passenger side wheel and check for fluid leaking behind the slave cylinder boot, I just did mine a couple weeks back. If you can regain clutch activity from pumping the clutch, it's more than likely the culprit.

Phatty Slayer
Jul 30, 2007

Living the dream
I recently joined the Miata honor society. I have some work to do as my purchase was discounted due to the cars "history."

The previous owner was a musician that lived in the Bronx, on a narrow street. One day while the Miata was minding it's own business parked next to the curb, a big mean semi decided to take the corner a "little tight" and pinched the front fender, grabbed it, and dragged it 150 feet before becoming bored and letting the car go. Needless to say I have some work to do to get this car in presentable condition.

When I found it, it was parked in an ancient barn in Pennsylvania, where I had to fiddle with the security system to coax it into letting me drive it home.

Plans for the future are:
A flat black paint job to man it up a bit
Carbon fiber hard top for the crap winters here (and additional awesomeness)
Either a built motor or a 5.0 conversion, for time travel
suspension and frame refurbishing
Flux capacitor
Mr. Fusion
Pictures? My house got broken into and my camera was permanently borrowed, so maybe later.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Phatty Slayer posted:

I recently joined the Miata honor society. I have some work to do as my purchase was discounted due to the cars "history."

The previous owner was a musician that lived in the Bronx, on a narrow street. One day while the Miata was minding it's own business parked next to the curb, a big mean semi decided to take the corner a "little tight" and pinched the front fender, grabbed it, and dragged it 150 feet before becoming bored and letting the car go. Needless to say I have some work to do to get this car in presentable condition.

When I found it, it was parked in an ancient barn in Pennsylvania, where I had to fiddle with the security system to coax it into letting me drive it home.

Plans for the future are:
A flat black paint job to man it up a bit
Carbon fiber hard top for the crap winters here (and additional awesomeness)
Either a built motor or a 5.0 conversion, for time travel
suspension and frame refurbishing
Flux capacitor
Mr. Fusion
Pictures? My house got broken into and my camera was permanently borrowed, so maybe later.

You might as well just get the factory fiberglass hardtop. It only weighs 50 lbs, and I can't imagine the carbon fiber one is that much lighter, but I'm sure it's much more expensive, and I would worry about fit if it's not a Mazda made part. I got mine for $650 used. Search Craigslist. They should be between $500-1200 depending on condition.

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

FluffGrenade posted:

You might as well just get the factory fiberglass hardtop. It only weighs 50 lbs, and I can't imagine the carbon fiber one is that much lighter, but I'm sure it's much more expensive, and I would worry about fit if it's not a Mazda made part. I got mine for $650 used. Search Craigslist. They should be between $500-1200 depending on condition.

Just be aware that if they're used they tend to mold to the shape of the car a bit so make sure you do a test fitting before you buy it.

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005

Thanks as always AI. The car is back on the road and driving fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

While closing the latching mechanism on the top of my NC, a black screw with washer fell out. It's 2/3" long and 1/8" diameter with a #2 phillips top. I can't figure out where it went. Any ideas?

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 26, 2008