Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Suica??

CombineThresher posted:

Also Ditch, what's your beef with Zero-One?
They're a glorified indy fed and I haven't liked many of their matches over the years and Hashimoto died and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Did he consider himself to be Vicious or Delicious

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
I forget ditch, did you ever manage to get hosting for your purely legal uploading of matches? If so, does a link dump page exist?

edit:Nevermind, the links seem to be in the pulse article.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 7, 2008

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ditch posted:

Suica??

You put X amount of money on it and just walk through the turnstyles on the JR line and it picks up your card and how much it costs to get from station to station. No bothering with ticket windows every trip.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://pulsewrestling.com/2008/08/07/puroresu-pulse-issue-130-g-1-special/
This week: A look at the G-1 Climax!

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Ditch posted:

http://pulsewrestling.com/2008/08/07/puroresu-pulse-issue-130-g-1-special/
This week: A look at the G-1 Climax!

What are the incidents you refer to with kawada?

Still, a nice article.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Wazzu posted:

What are the incidents you refer to with kawada?

Still, a nice article.

He challenged Misawa to a rematch after their last match and this wasn't part of the plan, so I imagine they were pissed since it'd make Misawa look like a bit of a pussy for not agreeing to one.

Jimchuck Spanner
Sep 9, 2001

welp

Ditch posted:

They're a glorified indy fed

I like that about them

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

He challenged Misawa to a rematch after their last match and this wasn't part of the plan, so I imagine they were pissed since it'd make Misawa look like a bit of a pussy for not agreeing to one.

So it's partly good buisness sense, part kawada been an insane, toothless old man? Sure seems like a crazy tournament. Any idea where we could find matches from previous tournaments?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Kawada said he wanted to keep competing in NOAH, it's not like he called out Misawa for a rematch as if it were WWE. NOAH and NTV were pissed because the promo was impromptu and the show was a special live broadcast, meaning overruns would be a pain in the rear end.

Wazzu, what matches are you thinking of that aren't on the site?
http://theditch.us/njwar.html

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Ditch posted:

Kawada said he wanted to keep competing in NOAH, it's not like he called out Misawa for a rematch as if it were WWE. NOAH and NTV were pissed because the promo was impromptu and the show was a special live broadcast, meaning overruns would be a pain in the rear end.

Wazzu, what matches are you thinking of that aren't on the site?
http://theditch.us/njwar.html

See, it's things like this that mean I'm way over my download limits. When it comes back soon, then it shall quickly dissapear again, at this rate.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Inoki Genome has booked RVD vs Necro vs Kendo Kashin on their next show.

It's like an ice cream sundae with fudge and broccoli.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Ditch posted:

Inoki Genome has booked RVD vs Necro vs Kendo Kashin on their next show.

It's like an ice cream sundae with fudge and broccoli.

IGF is the greatest.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So I don't really know the first thing about Puro but I like listening to Adam & Mike over at F4W even when they talk about poo poo I don't know the first thing about. So in order to educate me a little bit, can someone do the following tho things for me:

Give a breif description about the major promotions and what their deals are ("This is TNA" "This is ROH only worse") or whatver.

Give a one or two sentence description/explanation of the participants in the G1 (what is their gimmicks, if any. are they any good, etc)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I can do the major promotions worth checking out.

AJPW- ever wonder what happened to all those WWF and WCW midcarders when promptly fell of the planet? Yeah, they're here.

NJPW-Think WWE with a focus on juniorweights.

NOAH-They have Misawa and Kobashi. That's the japanese equivalent of Stone Cold and the Rock.

Dragon Gate-Japanese Version of WSX except with less exploding coffins. Very flippy.

DDT-Chikara on crack. japanese crack.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
That doesn't quite work. None of the promotions are really like WWE or TNA in terms of format. The big feds are 80% wrestling and 15% entrances/exits.

All Japan's big names are Mutoh/Muta and Kojima. It isn't the same company it was before 2000 because almost all the talent left to form NOAH. It's the #3 company in Japan.

NOAH's big names are Misawa and Kobashi, along with ROH regulars Morishima, KENTA, Marufuji and Shiozaki. Those four are all younger. NOAH is most popular with the overseas puro watchers, they tend to have more high-end matches at the end of the year, but their undercards are filler. Some wrestlers go years without doing anything even close to a storyline or an angle.

New Japan's big names include Chono, Nagata, Liger, Tenzan, Tanahashi and Nakamura, along with A-Train/Albert who is MUCH better in Japan. In recent years they've done a very good job of keeping the bulk of their roster involved in some feud or storyline or stable. NJ has been the top dog forever, but never dominates like WWE.

Zero-One has the likes of Masato Tanaka, they're smaller than the big three by a lot.

Dragon Gate has a smaller roster and is all about athletic prettyboys. They have the most female-heavy fanbase of any wrestling promotion ever, at least besides the older Japanese women promotions. They do more in the way of promos and sports entertainment finishes than the above.

Big Japan is the hardcore fed, they're a billion times better than CZW though.

DDT has lots of whacky gimmicks and angles, they're the largest of the 'indy sleaze' companies that can be far more bizarre than anything stateside.

As far as the G-1... it's hard to say 'gimmick' because most big name heavyweights are more about wrestling style than out-and-out gimmicks. Nakanishi is a power guy, Yoshie is a fat guy, Nakamura is a submissions guy, Makabe and Yano are brawlers, Nagata is balanced between strikes and submissions, Tenzan does headbutts, Kawada kicks people in the face, Tanahashi does fancy stuff, Bernard (A-Train) is a big ol' American, Hirooki Goto is an up-and-comer with a lot of heart, Wataru Inoue is someone you don't need to worry about, Ohtani and Kojima are former New Japan wrestlers who in the tournament play the role of outsiders.

If you want I can recommend some matches to introduce some of the participants.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Is All Japan really number 3 anymore? Dragon Gate seems to do impressive numbers in the 8K range for big events, and while I know All Japan runs a Sumo Hall show every once in awhile, I don't really remember how those do.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I will not have you sullying the name of Yoshie by merely deeming him "fat guy." :colbert:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

MassRayPer posted:

Is All Japan really number 3 anymore? Dragon Gate seems to do impressive numbers in the 8K range for big events, and while I know All Japan runs a Sumo Hall show every once in awhile, I don't really remember how those do.
AJ gets over 3000 attendance more often, Sumo Hall is a bigger venue than Kobe World Hall, etc. DG is doing fine but let's not get carried away.

Captain Charisma posted:

I will not have you sullying the name of Yoshie by merely deeming him "fat guy." :colbert:
He's a really good fat guy :shobon:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

AJ gets over 3000 attendance more often, Sumo Hall is a bigger venue than Kobe World Hall, etc. DG is doing fine but let's not get carried away.

He's a really good fat guy :shobon:

It wasn't so much "DG is so huge" as "AJPW has fallen so far." But yeah that answers it quite nicely. I forgot that DG's small shows are in pretty small prefectural gyms and such.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
Holy loving hell, thank you so much.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRayPer posted:

It wasn't so much "DG is so huge" as "AJPW has fallen so far." But yeah that answers it quite nicely. I forgot that DG's small shows are in pretty small prefectural gyms and such.

yeah most of DG's TV episodes are shot in <600 seat venues, IIRC. I need to get caught up on my tapes.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://ca.c.yimg.jp/sports/1218808418/img.sports.yahoo.co.jp/spnavi/photo/fight/200808/15/20080815026.jpg

Necro didn't lose! RVD beat Kashin, with the rolling thunder senton. Has anyone else EVER jobbed to that?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Can anyone explain to me the differences between No Vacancy, Super No vacancy and whatever else they use?

HwoodNG
May 4, 2004

Highly Respected SAS Wrestling Poster
Excellent news from dgusa:

quote:

The latest batch of Dragon Gate TV arrived today. Mugendai 91 through 96, and of course the 7/27 World PPV. Highlights include the Hulk vs. Shingo 60 minute draw, Real Hazard vs. WORLD-1 Naniwa Elimination, the debut of Killer Hulk, and the first ever Dragon Gate NEX vs. Toryumon X 6 man tag.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

HwoodNG posted:

Excellent news from dgusa:

their PPVs are the things i have the hardest time getting a hold of. Is DGusa selling them?

e: they are. http://dgusa.puroresufan.com/database.html

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Ditch posted:

http://ca.c.yimg.jp/sports/1218808418/img.sports.yahoo.co.jp/spnavi/photo/fight/200808/15/20080815026.jpg

Necro didn't lose! RVD beat Kashin, with the rolling thunder senton. Has anyone else EVER jobbed to that?

I thought the news of a guy you hate jobbing to someone else's transition move would make you happier than this.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Jae is really good to buy from! Go for broke!

weekly font posted:

Can anyone explain to me the differences between No Vacancy, Super No vacancy and whatever else they use?
Super No Vacancy is SRO, No Vacancy is like.... I dunno, almost entirely full. Of course they work those terms along with attendance.

Jimchuck Spanner
Sep 9, 2001

welp

weekly font posted:

Roughly, No Vacancy means 70% full, Super No Vacancy means 90% full, and Super No Vacancy Full House means completely sold out.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
Only in Japan could you make a sliding scale of sold out.

Is there a Super No Vacancy Championship Edition where people pay ten bucks to stand outside or something?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Satire Forum Mom posted:

Only in Japan could you make a sliding scale of sold out.

Is there a Super No Vacancy Championship Edition where people pay ten bucks to stand outside or something?

This is the same country that brought us the amazing Earth Defense Force where Hardest is the second hardest difficulty level.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

In the "How I managed to make everyone think I was weird" column for today:

So I'm sat in my hostel in Tokyo, watching this crazy Japanese show with a bunch of people in the TV room/kitchen/dining room. Anyway after an enthralling segment where a girl was forced to feed a banana to a Giant Turtle, they have a segment about swimming. The background music for this was Stan Hansen's "Sunrise" theme. I marked the gently caress out only to get funny looks from everyone else in the room. Nevertheless it was awesome.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Hirooki Goto beat Makabe to win the G-1 Climax. Not the final anyone expected, that's for sure!

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Ditch posted:

Hirooki Goto beat Makabe to win the G-1 Climax. Not the final anyone expected, that's for sure!

And your pick to win (tenzan) did worst. Hell of a tournament. But were the matches still good and did the crowd love it?

TheDuelies
Jul 13, 2005

I'd go gay for this goggle-eyed freak!

Ditch posted:

I'm up to day four in the matches, so far it's been a fun tournament. Really looking forward to seeing that non-tourny match with Angle and Styles.

I'm relatively new to Japan so if anyone could explain why New Japan went to the trouble of having their G1 winner fight on an All Japan card, I'd appreciate it. Seems like they did all the build for the other promotion's card. Are they getting paid for it or is their other motivation I sm missing?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Since the winner was Goto, I think they're trying to get him more exposure since he's young.

Wazzu posted:

And your pick to win (tenzan) did worst. Hell of a tournament. But were the matches still good and did the crowd love it?
Hey I changed it to Nagata before the tournament started AND Goto was my 'dark horse' pick AND I was able to map out his path to victory in Friday's PuroPulse (that I forgot to link here):
http://pulsewrestling.com/2008/08/15/puroresu-pulse-issue-131-a-fifth-of-kobashi

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

Ditch posted:

Since the winner was Goto, I think they're trying to get him more exposure since he's young.

Hey I changed it to Nagata before the tournament started AND Goto was my 'dark horse' pick AND I was able to map out his path to victory in Friday's PuroPulse (that I forgot to link here):
http://pulsewrestling.com/2008/08/15/puroresu-pulse-issue-131-a-fifth-of-kobashi

I'm just quoting this post to thank you again for your loving amazing direct download site. Thanks.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Acsoridng to the Observer/F4W site TAKESHI MORISHIMA wrestled a dark match on Raw against Charlie Haas. The mind boggles.

Also I just got tickets yeasterday for the 8/23 NOAH show at Koraken Hall. Took me ages to find the place though, with me thinking it was north of ther Tokyo Dome instead of south. Nevertheless it shall be a fun Saturday night.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Raffles posted:

Acsoridng to the Observer/F4W site TAKESHI MORISHIMA wrestled a dark match on Raw against Charlie Haas. The mind boggles.

This news will really mean something if he drops the belt sooner than later. Then again I'm probably thinking in American wrestling ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
He's under contract. That said... he does have the title match with Sasaki in 3 weeks...

He got flown out for a dark match. What does THAT say?

edit: http://www.noah-usa.cc/8%2018%2008%20wwe91news.JPG
http://www.noah-usa.cc/8%2018%2008%20wwe13news.JPG
http://www.noah-usa.cc/8%2018%2008%20wwe15news.JPG

Ditch fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 19, 2008